Author Topic: Shenmue III OT - I still can't believe this is real!  (Read 53513 times)

Cindi Mayweather

Re: Shenmue III OT - I still can't believe this is real!
« Reply #900 on: June 14, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »
If you are going to come to this thread just to shit and troll please fuck off.
Never

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #901 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:10 PM »
btw, I do feel betrayed. I've lost money and am not getting what I specifically paid for. But I still have hope they will make right of this and give out steam keys to those who ordered them.
Never

Svejk

• Ruler of the Large Dark Nipple People
« Reply #902 on: June 14, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
I'm thinking they will...  I got an email stating that they aware of all the concerns and are going to do their best to address it. 

BELIEVE

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #903 on: June 14, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »
Either way I will be double and triple, maybe even quadruple dipping.

Copies bought and paid for so far:

ps4 ks art book edition
regular boxed pc

Waiting to pre-order:

limited run game collectors edition

who knows after that.
Never

Kara

• GOOGLE MURRAY BOOKCHIN (this is a meme, don't google murray bookchin)
« Reply #904 on: June 14, 2019, 03:41:27 PM »
I used to care about having everything on one platform, then I stopped PC gaming (other than card games) regularly. Now no matter what platform I fire up I have to install patches out the wazoo so functionally it's the same crummy user experience no matter what.

That said, I'm sympathetic to actual backers who care.

If you didn't back, then go play a game of lucky hit before I hop in a black car and merc your pops in his dojo.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #905 on: June 14, 2019, 05:32:10 PM »
My issue is this:

1. I paid for a steam copy specifically. So did many others.

2. I was going to build a pc specifically to play Shenmue III because my current computer is unable to run something like it.

3. Egs is exclusive for a year. The copy is ordered will come with an EGS code. I don’t want to play it on egs, which has sketchy practices. Once that year exclusive deal is over I will not have a steam key still despite having bought it for steam already. I will have to buy another copy of Shenmue III on pc which is utter bullshit.

4.they even said originally that the pc version would be a physical version with an actual disc. Turns out this was not true and it’s just a code. Why would I, a Shenmue fan, want a physical code? I want a physical version to future proof my purchase so I am not beholden to digital storefronts. I believed it would be an actual disc that could be applied so I could also own it on steam. I have done that with pc games in the past.

Everything related to the pc version has been fucked.

Thankfully also ordered a PS4 version.
Never

Stro

• I'm just a dragon-canine boye
« Reply #906 on: June 14, 2019, 09:00:02 PM »
Did you order both in the event one of them fucked you over? If so,  :rollsafe

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #907 on: June 17, 2019, 01:45:39 PM »
I went with the PS4 version cause at the time that was the only physical edition. I didn't even own a PS4 at the time but I wanted physical. :lol Kinda glad I didn't swap to PC now even though I'd prefer Physical Steam to PS4 even if it'd just be an empty box. I just never use my PS4 and I really dislike the controller.

Dantizzinel

« Reply #908 on: June 17, 2019, 01:49:50 PM »
Playing Shenmue 1 and I'm enjoying it more than my last replay. so that's good.
\m/

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #909 on: June 17, 2019, 02:09:35 PM »
Did you order both in the event one of them fucked you over? If so,  :rollsafe

No I went with both because PS4 would be nice but PC would be ultimate version because of fidelity and mods. When it comes to Shenmue I buy for all systems, no fucks given. I had II on DC and Xbox for example. Need to rebuy II DC since I sold it years back for cash. :( I needed the money. I turn into full on Bork collector mode when it comes to Shenmue. I'm buying multiple copies of the retail version for instance. Gamestop has a pre-order bonus and I will be getting that version for the bonus. Limited Run Games has a Collectors Edition coming and I will be buying that version because it looks like a good collectors edition. So in the end I will end up with 4-5 copies of Shenmue III.
Never

thisismyusername

• https://goo.gl/SEuEBL Stay pressed, DNC.
« Reply #910 on: June 17, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »
Playing Shenmue 1 and I'm enjoying it more than my last replay. so that's good.

Just wait until you reach the job area.

Worst part of both games. Two games running.

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #911 on: June 17, 2019, 03:07:59 PM »
Best part.
Never

The Sceneman

• I need to get huge, I need to stay huge.
« Reply #912 on: June 22, 2019, 09:51:42 AM »
I'd better get my ass into gear and play through Shenmue 1&2 on Xbone while theyre on GamePass. I need to get ready for todays forklift race

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #913 on: July 02, 2019, 08:51:11 AM »
So the new kickstarter email offered some new options. They basically said they can't do steam keys at launch but they will now offer refunds OR you can opt to get a steam key after one year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2553891

Tasty Meat

• You tell a kid there’s no hope, man, just wait and see how fast that kid tells you otherwise.
« Reply #914 on: July 02, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
So the new kickstarter email offered some new options. They basically said they can't do steam keys at launch but they will now offer refunds OR you can opt to get a steam key after one year.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2553891

It sucks but I kinda applaud the transparency, we usually don't get any details about these "deals" until they're expired, so the fact they're definitively pegging it for a year is somewhat refreshing. It's a while out but at least they're not like "Yeah sometime in 2020 probly."

They can still be criticized for the initial decision regarding EGS, but that ship sailed and so the question now is "how to move forward."

In a year, Shenmue 3 will be on PS4, Epic Games Store, and Steam (and by then, probably half price or less.) I'm not sure who can complain about that.
🐚

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #915 on: July 02, 2019, 10:40:57 AM »
I'm sure someone will find a way :lol

Coffee Dog

« Reply #916 on: July 02, 2019, 11:03:52 AM »
I just hope that enough refunds are processed that it materially hurts the game. Everybody threw money at the screen because Sony told them to without considering the game that was being made or understabding the fluid and unreliable nature of kickstarter projects. Now people saw slow gameplay and low budget graphics and remembered that they didnt want shenmue, all this epic stuff is a bigger deal than the game itself because everyone already wants to avoid paying money for it in the first place and is looking for an excuse to do so.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:07:59 AM by Coffee Dog »

Tasty Meat

• You tell a kid there’s no hope, man, just wait and see how fast that kid tells you otherwise.
« Reply #917 on: July 02, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »
I just hope that enough refunds are processed that it materially hurts the game. Everybody threw money at the screen because Sony told them to without considering the game that was being made or understabding the fluid and unreliable nature of kickstarter projects. Now people saw slow gameplay and low budget graphics and remembered that they didnt want shenmue, all this epic stuff is a bigger deal than the game itself because everyone already wants to avoid paying money for it in the first place and is looking for an excuse to do so.

On the surface this seems like a wild theory, but it might actually have some merit. :thinking

Plugging the KS at the Sony conference was definitely weird and I wouldn't ever want to see something like that again; on the other hand, if Shenmue 3 wouldn't exist without having done that, then it's hard to criticize.
🐚

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #918 on: July 02, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »
Well at least I don’t have to rebuy what I paid for.

Also, people now have to wait an entire year to play a Shenmue game as it’s held hostage by some shady deal.

Lol things never change. This game is fucked. We will not be getting Shenmue 4 unless epic or someone finances it. Which is unlikely because that’s why they needed to do the KS to begin with, which isn’t another trick theybcan pull off. This games rep is so tainted with such bad PR and marketing that I do not see it hitting 1 million, much less 200k. I’m going to enjoy the ride and thank Deep Silver and Epic for killing Shenmue - AGAIN.

At this point the game is published by Deep Silver who gave fat stacks and Epic. Lol it’ll be fine in that regard.

What you should be worrying about now is how this will impact the game sales long term as Steam was a good place to sell such a niche product.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:27:29 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
Never

Coffee Dog

« Reply #919 on: July 02, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »

On the surface this seems like a wild theory, but it might actually have some merit. :thinking

Plugging the KS at the Sony conference was definitely weird and I wouldn't ever want to see something like that again; on the other hand, if Shenmue 3 wouldn't exist without having done that, then it's hard to criticize.

The game was going to get savaged on release for being a game about chopping wood and slowly mastering martial arts stances. At least now everyone who doesnt enjoy the series can just take their money and gtfo months in advance, the discourse around the game will be a thousand times better as a niche bomb than some colossal hype juggernaut that pisses off eight million dollars worth of people simultaneously.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #920 on: July 02, 2019, 11:31:26 AM »
Shenmue 2 bombed so hard it put the series in a coma for almost two decades, and was also notoriously difficult to attempt to port (for technical and/or legal reasons; I know a 360 port was in the works but canned at some point.)

I kinda doubt Shenmue 3 will do that much damage, especially if Coffee Dog's prediction comes to pass and the launch is just Shenmue uber-fans lapping it up. I also have to think Deep Silver will try porting the game to anything under the sun that can run it, going into the future. We might see Shenmue Trilogy on PlayStation 5 or Switch 2, etc.

The series still has a future, it's just not particularly clear what it is yet. But at least there's hope, which I'm not sure you could say after Suzuki got "corner desk'd" and the Dreamcast died.
🐚

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #921 on: July 02, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
The game would be fine as a kung fu simulator.

Who cares about the Kickstarter?

You have to convince at least a million people to buy Shenmue III in order to get a IV.

These controversies do not help.

We live in a gaming environment where Animal Crossing is considered a top tier franchise, a game like Life Is Strange has an audience. Niche games have never been more successful than now. A game like Shenmue had more cards on its table to be enjoyed and find its audience now than in 1999/2001 when it was stuck on the Dreamcast. This is partially why Steam was a great choice: it’s full of niche successes. It’s the platform that Valkyrie Chronicles, Dark Souls, and Ys extremely popular and a big tent.

Pissing people kickstarters off?

Not only that but they pissed off consumers by pissing kickstarters off by proxy on top of not putting it on a safe bet platform on release.

This game will not be successful. Not because it’s not niche - after all we live in a  gaming landscape where games that allow you to work as Uber Drivers or Fascist regime border suppliers exist - but because of the utterly horrific marketing and controversies. Now that they have pissed off the majority of pc gamers - a massive of slice of sales this game was relying on - you basically only have PS4.

This game is fucked and it’s not because it has you training in horse stance.
Never

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #922 on: July 02, 2019, 11:41:52 AM »
Fuck Deep Silver and Epic.
Never

Coffee Dog

« Reply #923 on: July 02, 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
Games like Life Is Strange and Animal Crossing are hardly niche; Animal Crossing is a massively successful multimillion selling market leader interior design game and Life Is Strange is a critically successful drama that made way more money than anyone writing the sub-Degrassi high script deserves because the market constantly craves for an influx of barely interactive "narrative games". These games have massive commercially viable hooks and have massive playerbases because of it.

Shenmue is an extremely slow walking around town talking/punching people game in an industry clogged full of massive open worlds and no shortage of games with more exciting melee combat. It's not a "sexy" game in the least. Yakuza games are the sexy version of Shenmue and I'm sure even Judgement will dunk on Shenmue 3 in terms of sales.

Its not like the Shenmue pc ports caused a resurgence of articles like "go back and play Shenmue, its a classic". It was a lot of "these games are weird and old and make me fall asleep, I hope Shenmue 3 learns a lot of lessons from it". Remasters/remakes are a huge deal in getting people hyped, and their reception was pretty indicative of how a faithful and authentic 3rd game would be received. It's not worth entertaining the possibility that in 2019 Shenmue would become some big breakout success with content creators gushing over how magical the experience is; we're already past that point. Shenmue is a real niche, not some 5 million seller my girlfriend wants to play like Animal Crossing. It's more in common with those train simulator games that the press passes over every year than anything commercially viable for a large audience.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:02:19 PM by Coffee Dog »

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #924 on: July 02, 2019, 11:58:08 AM »
Some niche game where you stamp papers.

Some game that has literally no action.

Some game where you play as a cyberpunk bartender.

I personally think you have to be a fool to think Shenmue III would bomb naturally just because it has you chopping wood. That, or grossly uninformed about today's gaming.

There's no denying it's a niche product. But today's gaming is all about successful niche products.

It's all a matter of:

A. the game being good
B. marketing

So far they have completely stumbled the marketing and show nothing but story sequences when they should be showing Shenmue to be the kung fu simulator its always been. There's been less than 10 seconds of actual gameplay in the trailers for the game. The E3 impressions were mostly good and  a lot of people liked it. Of course, there were the people who didn't, but Shenmue has always been divisive. The point is the gameplay made a good impression on people.

In order for this game to be successful riding its intricacies was the safest best to selling to the most diverse audience Shenmue has ever had access to.

Instead, they decided to piss off an entire platform, one the game was definitely relying on for success. GG.
Never

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #925 on: July 02, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »
We will not be getting Shenmue 4
we never were

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #926 on: July 02, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »
Games like Life Is Strange and Animal Crossing are hardly niche; Animal Crossing is a massively successful multimillion selling market leader interior design game and Life Is Strange is a critically successful drama that made way more money than anyone writing the sub-Degrassi high script deserves because the market constantly craves for an influx of barely interactive "narrative games". These games have massive commercially viable hooks and have massive playerbases because of it.

Sell Life Is Strange to me ten years ago. That game would NOT be selling what it is now and that's a fact. Life Is Strange is definitely niche. It's a boring game - on purpose. Shenmue is also a boring game - on purpose. Ten years ago, boring games that involve the daily lives of teenagers were not a thing and adventure games backed by companies like Square Enix were, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Animal Crossing had an audience before, but New Leaf took it to a whole new level. It is definitely niche. Just because it's successful does not mean it's not niche. It has just managed to fit into that niche comfortably.

Either way, you ignored my other multiple examples.

Ys was a a total bomb before heading to Steam. I bought Ys III for psp and it was a complete bomb. Putting it on Steam invigorated the games sales. Now they're up to like, Ys IX? And a big part of that is Steam.

Valkyria Chronicles sold GANGBUSTERS when the game was released on Steam when it did only modest before. It's a strategy rpg. Strategy rpgs are niche.

A big part of the reason the Japanese games are so successful now is because of Steam. It has expanded their audience ten fold and has done extremely well for niche games.

Then there's games like Stardew Valley. A game like Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon is niche and that game has sold enough it could afford its own island by now.
Never

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #927 on: July 02, 2019, 12:15:39 PM »
Using Shenmue HD games as an example also doesn't work because they're 20 years old. Most gamers don't expect anything from something 20 years old. Also using Yakuza as a counter example doesn't work because unless you've been living under a rock, Yakuza games in America UNTIL RECENTLY had to be BEGGED to be released. Once again proving that today's gaming landscape is extremely fertile for niche products having surprise successes. And their popularity blew up even more on.....wow, it's that word I keep repeating...Steam.

Either way, I don't really care anymore. They've decided to go and fuck it up. I will be playing and hopefully enjoying III for what it is now that Deep Silver and Epic have decided to go and piss in everyone's tea.
Never

Coffee Dog

« Reply #928 on: July 02, 2019, 12:21:56 PM »

Sell Life Is Strange to me ten years ago. That game would NOT be selling what it is now and that's a fact. Life Is Strange is definitely niche. It's a boring game - on purpose. Shenmue is also a boring game - on purpose. Ten years ago, boring games that involve the daily lives of teenagers were not a thing and adventure games backed by companies like Square Enix were, for all intents and purposes, dead.

Animal Crossing had an audience before, but New Leaf took it to a whole new level. It is definitely niche. Just because it's successful does not mean it's not niche. It has just managed to fit into that niche comfortably.

Either way, you ignored my other multiple examples.

Ys was a a total bomb before heading to Steam. I bought Ys III for psp and it was a complete bomb. Putting it on Steam invigorated the games sales. Now they're up to like, Ys IX? And a big part of that is Steam.

Valkyria Chronicles sold GANGBUSTERS when the game was released on Steam when it did only modest before. It's a strategy rpg. Strategy rpgs are niche.

A big part of the reason the Japanese games are so successful now is because of Steam. It has expanded their audience ten fold and has done extremely well for niche games.

Then there's games like Stardew Valley. A game like Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon is niche and that game has sold enough it could afford its own island by now.

I dont really know what the purpose to your labelling of "niche" is if there is a multimillion audience ravenously waiting to devour product. Candy Crush is niche by that definition to the point of rendering the term useless. I'm talking about products that are commercially less viable due to their lack of appeal.

Shenmue is a game whose every feature is at a glance done better in just about AAA game on the market. Where can I get better melee combat? Where can I get a breathtaking open world? Where can I get a plot that isnt just talking to ugly elderly chinese villagers? How about any other game out there?

You say that Shenmue is designed to be boring as fuck but throw life is strange in the same sentence like...life is strange is literally a game about teenagers getting in shouting matches at each other/authority figures and constant drama. Every episode ends on giant dramatic setpieces where characters freak out and big decisions have to be made! Its not a game where you just go to class every day doing boring bullshit. Just like papers please, a game where youre constantly making stressful decision while a timer ticks down judging your performance, or valhalla where every day youre given a cast of characters with unique stories, not just doing the mundanity of bartending. Not a single one of the games you listed is anywhere near as weird and niche as shenmue, theyre all stock standard VNs, RPGs, etc. Commercially successful genres that generally appeal to millions.

Shenmue's about chopping wood!

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #929 on: July 02, 2019, 12:31:33 PM »
Puzzle games are extremely popular and definitely not a niche genre. Tetris is one of the best selling games of all time.

Adventure games have been niche for generations, what Life Is Strange basically constitutes.

Shenmue can market itself as a smaller open-world. More people are hesitant to big, sprawling open worlds with checklists of things to do. Shenmue's bread and butter is a more intimate open-world. You can sell that to people.

And Shenmue is more than about chopping wood. It's a kung fu simulator. There are zero games besides Shenmue that have you feel like you're actually building up to becoming a true kung fu master. Oh, they'll do it in one game. Shenmue? Multiple. Shenmue is an epic. It is about more than chopping wood.

life is strange is literally a game about teenagers getting in shouting matches at each other/authority figures and constant drama.

Yes, a game that goes into the lives of people is usually considered boring. It's not an action-game. It's not a zombie fest. It doesn't use a big license. Your sentence here also betrays yourself. Shenmue is about a boy on a quest for revenge to become a kung fu master to defeat his fathers killer. Which sounds more boring? Teenage shout matches or the epic kung fu story? Did you not just say that story-oriented games sell well now? :thinking Does Shenmue not fall into this category then? Shenmue II has far more action and adventure than Life Is Strange. Have you actually ever played Shenmue II? On the surface, Life is Strange is FAR more boring than Shenmue.

If you haven't noticed, most games are action games. It's why something like Phoenix Wright would be considered a boring game. It's a game that has zero action. It's about clicking on shit and providing evidence and talking to people. It's basically a point and click adventure game tied with a VN. But it did well because it worked to its own strengths. It's definitely not mainstream. But it's not like it's a horrific failure either.

Not a single one of the games you listed is anywhere near as weird and niche as shenmue, theyre all stock standard VNs, RPGs, etc. Commercially successful genres that generally appeal to millions.

A game like V-a11-halla is definitely weird. Stop lying to yourself to take an opportunity to shit on Shenmue and try to understand my point. It's a weird game.

And definitely not stock.

And yet it has carved a niche for itself and is pretty successful.

I wasn't focused on genre until this post. You clearly do not understand the history of the games, franchises, and genres I'm talking about.

You have to really, really try to convince yourself, very hard, or be completely ignorant of the history of jrpgs and adventure games to say that Life Is Strange, Va11halla, Ys, and Valkyria Chrocniles are not niche products. Just like how Fire Emblem is a niche product that somehow found success. So niche it was on its death bed. Like I said: niche games and genres have a lot of options these days, more than ever before. Surely there's room for a kung fu simulator epic.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 01:01:13 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
Never

Mr Gilhaney

• in dog years i'm gay
« Reply #931 on: July 02, 2019, 05:34:32 PM »
 Only took them 3 games to begin doing that.

b♿re

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #932 on: July 02, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »
Future Sho Nuff: Hello young Sho. I've come back to 2002 to tell you about Shenmue 3
Young Sho Nuff: OMG is it coming out next year
Future Sho: Actually it's going to ship like 17 years later
Young Sho: Oh my god no, I mean I'll wait, but won't I be married with kids by then?
Future Sho: LOL I wouldn't worry about that. I mean uh, maybe. Anyway it's going to be the Shenmu'iest and Ryo's getting out of the fucking cave
Young Sho: Hold on, will I have free choice of what digital marketplace it releases on?
Future Sho: Not really, but I thought you wanted Ryo to get out of that cave
Young Sho: FUCK YOU, GO BACK TO THE FUTURE, I'M NO LONGER INTERESTED

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #933 on: July 02, 2019, 08:32:07 PM »
Future Sho Nuff: Hello young Sho. I've come back to 2002 to tell you about Shenmue 3
Young Sho: Oh my god no, I mean I'll wait, but won't I be married with kids by then?
Future Sho: LOL I wouldn't worry about that. I mean uh, maybe. Anyway it's going to be the Shenmu'iest and Ryo's getting out of the fucking cave
Young Sho: Hold on, will I have free choice of what digital marketplace it releases on?

most of the people who react like this aren't even shenmue fans. people think it was only shenmue fans who backed it when even tasty supported it on kickstarter and I know full on shenmue haters who have as well out of solidarity.

personally, while i'm mad about the fact i am not getting what i paid for for a full year, I'm getting the game on ps4 anyways so it's not the biggest of deals. thankfully I get it for steam eventually and won't have to buy a whole new copy and shit.
Never

Tasty Meat

« Reply #934 on: July 02, 2019, 09:06:16 PM »

Baby Tasty: ...what the fuck is a "digital marketplace"? (And can I buy Pokemon cards there?)
🐚

Tasty Meat

« Reply #935 on: July 02, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
Yeah it's true I kicked in $100 and still haven't played a lick of the series, lmaaaaoooo

Hey Sho can I have your time machine? I could really use that money these days. :doge
🐚

Svejk

• Ruler of the Large Dark Nipple People
« Reply #936 on: July 02, 2019, 09:56:48 PM »
A shame this got pushed to November.  Def Stranding will take priority over this.   Waited 17 years, I can wait another month or two.  :yeshrug

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #937 on: July 03, 2019, 01:02:11 AM »
Yeah it's true I kicked in $100 and still haven't played a lick of the series, lmaaaaoooo

Hey Sho can I have your time machine? I could really use that money these days. :doge

Sho Nuff is saving his money for a joint visit to a whisky bar in Kyoto.

Kara

« Reply #938 on: July 03, 2019, 04:59:44 AM »

Great post. Ryo is getting out of that damn cave. :punch

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #939 on: July 03, 2019, 08:56:42 AM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #940 on: July 03, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
buying ps4 and getting a steam key for the kickstarter version might be the way i go as well. mainly i just want all the extra tchotchkes i paid for ASAP

Don Rumata

« Reply #941 on: July 03, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »

Baby Tasty: ...what the fuck is a "digital marketplace"? (And can I buy Pokemon cards there?)
Only of Pokemon within the Galar region.

Tasty Meat

« Reply #942 on: July 04, 2019, 03:25:42 AM »
Semi-ironically, Ruby and Sapphire would release that year, featuring the series' only true break in backwards comparability (even today) and restricting most Kanto Pokemon until FireRed/LeafGreen years later. :doge

Needless to say I wasn't a fan of those games either.
🐚

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #943 on: July 19, 2019, 06:43:31 AM »
Pat and Woolie from Castle Super Beast (ex-Super Best Friends) touched on the latest Shenmue III PR trainwreck and it was pretty savage. "Nagoshi wanted to make a Shenmue-like one city block RPG in the crime world. And he did. 15 TIMES in the span of years that will separate Shenmue II and III."

:dead

And before Cindy knee drops my ass : Yakuza is not exactly Shenmue and I know a lot of fans are invested in the specific Shenmue story. But Yakuza scratches many of those Shenmue sweet spots for many a people. Also I only paraphrased that bit, that's not the whole of their discussion.

It's pretty sad how much good will they continue to squander even now (regardless of opinions on the Kickstarter's very intent, obviously I was already pretty sour from the word "go"). As always, some of the drama will be muted if the game turns out OK.
ὕβρις

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #944 on: July 19, 2019, 10:33:19 AM »
I just want the game to come out. Don’t care anymore. What a shitshow.
Never

Kara

« Reply #945 on: July 19, 2019, 12:27:21 PM »
Knickerbockers with a gaming podcast I had to Google trying to come at Yu Suzuki-dono. :comeon

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #946 on: July 19, 2019, 12:51:51 PM »
At this point, I view this game very low.

It was originally a kickstarter game and so far is dishonoring everything the kickstarter set out to do.

I gave over 100 dollars specifically for the pc demo for instance, and no pc demo announcement yet and the game comes out in months. It's ridiculous.

Game is a massive mine field of fuckery and I can't wait for it to all end.
Never

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #947 on: July 19, 2019, 01:52:14 PM »
I think it's sadly not too much of a surprise. There was an inherent tension IMHO between running a Kickstarter yet also securing beforehand a retailing deal (including physical copies). The latter implies a different scope for development. We'll have to wait a possible post mortem but I'm still of the mind it was too complex of a game to rely on crowdfunding alone, especially for an outfit like YSnet.
ὕβρις

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #948 on: July 19, 2019, 01:55:52 PM »
Games like Bloodstained did fine and honored their backers. Backers for other games get dlc. I've shelled out 200 + for this game and will still have to buy dlc. I will, but it's still preposterous. Incompetence is rife among YS Net and the entire projects handling of this matter.
Never

Tasty Meat

« Reply #949 on: July 19, 2019, 02:33:50 PM »
Creative types tend to be worse at managing timelines and business needs, news at 11
🐚

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #950 on: July 19, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »
I'm a creative type and still think this is stupid.
Never

Tasty Meat

« Reply #951 on: July 19, 2019, 03:24:27 PM »
I have low expectations of Kickstarters, and some would call me an idiot for not letting that deter me from proactively funding projects that interest me. (Like, in the slightest. When I evaluate a KS today it's the same as if I was evaluating one in 2011.)

From my viewpoint I give this game's KS overall a 5/10, dependent on the final game merely being finished and not buggy to the point of unplayability.
🐚

VomKriege

• 韬光养晦
« Reply #952 on: July 19, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/yu-suzuki-says-shenmue-iii-will-get-us-40-percent-through-ryos-story

Yu Suzuki Says Shenmue 3 Will Get Us 40 Percent Through Ryo's Story

:goty
ὕβρις

Cindi Mayweather

« Reply #953 on: July 19, 2019, 04:17:02 PM »
40% :lol

If Suzuki has any sense he’d try to end it with 4. Dude is off his rocker.
Never

Kara

« Reply #954 on: July 19, 2019, 05:10:38 PM »
Yu da god trolling all of us :bow2 :bow2 :bow2

Don Rumata

« Reply #955 on: July 19, 2019, 06:35:23 PM »
Who cares about the ending itself? I'm cool with just getting some more Shenmue.

Kara

« Reply #956 on: July 19, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
Ryo could walk out that fucking cave and fall into another one and I'd be fine. It's about having realistic goals in life. :hmph

Don Rumata

« Reply #957 on: July 19, 2019, 08:01:33 PM »
Ryo could walk out that fucking cave and fall into another one and I'd be fine. It's about having realistic goals in life. :hmph
I just want to explore some cool Chinese village, drink tea, play videogames within a videogame and... learn martial arts moves from homeless people.
Don't care much about dunking on Lan Di, at this point.

Especially after the appalling Shenmue Online cgi trailer, with hadokens and shit.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #958 on: July 26, 2019, 10:09:39 AM »
Finally showing off backer rewards, probably in a bid to stop refunds

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/2574575

Akala

• VEGAS
Re: Shenmue E3 thread of disappointment
« Reply #959 on: July 26, 2019, 10:21:00 AM »
:umad at Shenmue fans who think anything is going to happen

Aka