Author Topic: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998  (Read 49374 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Resident Evil 2 - Party Like It's 1998
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2019, 02:38:21 PM »
standard plebs
What

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »
standard plebs

Just beat Claire A on my first attempt in 2:10:35, S+ biiiiiatch. Meanwhile, you're probably 7 hours into Leon A hardcore or sum shit and you deserve a D for struggling so bad. :doge
OH!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #302 on: February 01, 2019, 08:57:53 PM »

Quote from: Youtube comments
Umbrella Employee 1: He's our best specimen yet!
Umbrella Employee 2: No, something is missing...
Implants a Bluetooth speaker in Mr X
Both Employees: PERFECTION.

thisismyusername

« Reply #303 on: February 01, 2019, 10:38:04 PM »
Anyway, finished the 4th Survivor. Leaves Tofu and the Hardcore mode(s) to do. I can't imagine running A/B scenarios for S+ rank on Hardcore, but supposedly there's an "extreme challenge" on Capcom's stat site for that. :doge

paprikastaude

« Reply #304 on: February 02, 2019, 03:32:56 AM »
When you reach the final boss of the B-scenario with nothing but a minigun as the only thing with rounds left. :whew

Final Boss spoiler
What's funny is you just sit in the back and then fire like 50 minigun rounds right into the eyeball as it gets closer and closer, then you stab it in a cutscene and it's over.
[close]

That's just the normal boss fight for Claire.

All of you pigs starting with Leon :hhh

Rahxephon91

« Reply #305 on: February 02, 2019, 03:51:23 AM »
Really good game. Going to star Clarie's run next.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #306 on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »
When you reach the final boss of the B-scenario with nothing but a minigun as the only thing with rounds left. :whew

Final Boss spoiler
What's funny is you just sit in the back and then fire like 50 minigun rounds right into the eyeball as it gets closer and closer, then you stab it in a cutscene and it's over.
[close]

That's just the normal boss fight for Claire.

All of you pigs starting with Leon :hhh

I think he meant G-5, the actual "final boss" which isnt even a boss fight at all and I'm not even sure it's possible to die to it.
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #307 on: February 04, 2019, 09:11:03 AM »
it's possible :goty

Freyj

« Reply #308 on: February 06, 2019, 10:45:37 AM »
Is Revelations 1 / 2 the closest to RE2r at this point? I tried going back to RE7 and I'll probably keep going but it hasn't clicked with me yet (post RE2r Third Person mode pls).

thisismyusername

« Reply #309 on: February 06, 2019, 10:49:08 AM »
it's possible :goty

Yeah, if you run right up to it, it'll instant kill you. :lol

paprikastaude

« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2019, 12:54:54 PM »
Is Revelations 1 / 2 the closest to RE2r at this point? I tried going back to RE7 and I'll probably keep going but it hasn't clicked with me yet (post RE2r Third Person mode pls).

1 is only cool on 3DS as kind of a system showcase. Loved 2, but some hate it. It plays like something between linear and lite-oldschool with the tone of Code Veronica.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:59:07 PM by Spieler1 »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10:37 PM »
I tried multiple times to play Rev 2, but i get bored out of my mind almost instantly.
Also the 2P using Moira, has really fuck all to do, aside from holding a torch or some shit.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2019, 03:44:33 PM »
1 is only cool on 3DS as kind of a system showcase.

Looking at Jill's ass.

IN 3D!!!!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #313 on: February 06, 2019, 06:29:26 PM »
Yeah I've tried to play Rev 2, but it's just boring. The 2nd person feels tedious and I feel like this half measure between action and horror feels bad. Few good action moments, but it dosen't really feel scary or tense. Yet it dosen't want to commit to giving you the tools to just blast everything.

thisismyusername

« Reply #314 on: February 06, 2019, 07:18:28 PM »
I tried multiple times to play Rev 2, but i get bored out of my mind almost instantly.
Also the 2P using Moira, has really fuck all to do, aside from holding a torch or some shit.

Moria helps stun, but not as often as they make her sound like she should.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2019, 09:54:44 PM »
yea rev1+2 are shit compared to RE2. i dont even understand he point of Rev2 - are they going to continue down that road? introducing that new "villain" like that and the ambiguous ending. then RE7 comes out and has absolutely nothing to do with Rev2 so...
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2019, 11:34:14 PM »
Revelations is supposed to be it's "own thing" but I think after the lukewarm response from the fanbase over 1 and 2, that they may drop it.

Honestly, I'd rather have another Outbreak over a Revelations.

Though really the biggest problem with Revelations 2 was the episodic nature of it.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #317 on: February 07, 2019, 08:45:55 PM »
I’d like a online co-op action RE or some substitute from Capcom.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2019, 12:30:09 AM »
Really enjoyed Revelations 1 and it's only real flaw is the lack of enemy variety.  The Raid mode helps a little with that by at least changing the enemy types up a bit.

Still can't get into Rev 2.  It's just so jank.
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2019, 07:52:03 PM »

Quote from: Youtube comments
Umbrella Employee 1: He's our best specimen yet!
Umbrella Employee 2: No, something is missing...
Implants a Bluetooth speaker in Mr X
Both Employees: PERFECTION.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1645817030

Mod of the Year, all year.

---

Hardcore does not play around. Good lord, I keep getting killed in the West Wing return.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:15:18 PM by thisismyusername »

paprikastaude

« Reply #320 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2019, 06:17:22 PM »
Wait, wasn't the "Be glad you're not here, rookie" note in the desk, which would imply that they unlocked it during the zombie outbreak, then relocked it just to mess with him if he did show up?
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #322 on: February 11, 2019, 06:21:53 PM »
The Zombie outbreak was never real. It was just the cops playing a prank on Leon.
Then he accidently shot one of them for real and it escalated from there.
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #323 on: February 11, 2019, 07:53:21 PM »
Wait, wasn't the "Be glad you're not here, rookie" note in the desk, which would imply that they unlocked it during the zombie outbreak, then relocked it just to mess with him if he did show up?

Nah it was on top of the desk along with the instructions on how to unlock it (at least in the remake)
yar

thisismyusername

« Reply #324 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:03 PM »
His desk is unlocked in the original. The note is on top of the desk in the remake. And they totally moved Marven from that office to the main hall (while giving a second floor stairway to the second floor. Originally, you had to use a ladder to go up there or take the long way around with the wings).

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #325 on: February 11, 2019, 11:47:14 PM »
I liked Rev 1, esp. because I was playing a really nice 3D RE on a friggin 3DS of all things.
Rev 2 was a hot mess despite some real good one-liners in the localization.
RE7 in VR is the most scared I've ever been playing a game and it makes flat horror games seem lame-o in comparison.
RE2 Remake is a massapiece doe.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #326 on: February 15, 2019, 07:22:20 AM »
Ghost Survivors update is out now - 900mb
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #327 on: February 15, 2019, 06:15:11 PM »
Ghost Survivors update is out now - 900mb

To get infinite ammo, you have to not abuse the infinite pistol in the hidden 4th scenario. Less than 60 handgun bullets fired. Pretty tough. :doge

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #328 on: February 15, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »
Yeah I didnt bother with that - I beat it regularly though. Made it by the skin of my dick
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: February 20, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »

ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #330 on: February 21, 2019, 12:11:32 AM »
I'm surprised first person works as well as it does. Well, really shouldn't be since it's on 7's engine, but still: Most of the rigging holds up pretty well in it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/38

Oh nice, I guess this is the overlay I've seen on a few speedrunners streams.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:16:21 AM by thisismyusername »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #331 on: February 21, 2019, 05:08:36 AM »
okay naked Mr X is some weird fetish shit lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #332 on: February 21, 2019, 07:41:55 AM »
okay naked Mr X is some weird fetish shit lol

It needs to be combined with the DMX mod!
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #333 on: February 21, 2019, 08:18:05 AM »
With that speedo though, should be blastin' some Barry White or something.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »
So baby if the the butt is round, and you want a triple-X throw down
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #335 on: February 21, 2019, 04:55:29 PM »
Started playing this last night. Got the 3 medallions, to the parking lot. Good stuff. Only thing I don't like is the visual effect it's using that everything is a little blurred and not sharp. Not sure if it's Chromatic Abberation.

So far I'm saving all my ammo/health like I do in all survival horror games so by halfway I have a ton of stuff when I need it. Feels tougher to run by enemies in this than the original games from my memories. But they take so many headshots it just seems like killing zombies would eat all my ammo.

Bebpo

« Reply #336 on: February 22, 2019, 02:56:57 AM »
Argh, dogs are way worse here than the old games because 3d. I remember someone said they had to make the enemies more bullet sponge in the remake because with 3d aiming it'd be too easy. What. I feel like 3d aiming makes the combat harder because in the old games you literally just point in their general direction and pop a few pistol shots and that's it. Now you've got 3 dogs running around jumping all fast and forget this I'm running and just eating a hit here and there.

thisismyusername

« Reply #337 on: February 22, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »
Argh, dogs are way worse here than the old games because 3d.

Breh, literally: Git gud. You can kill three of the dogs in the kennel. You can take out the other two that spawn (once you know where they're spawning from) with 2-3 bursts of the Matilda or 2 blasts (if that) of the shotgun.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #338 on: February 22, 2019, 02:25:29 PM »
You cant whine about eating hits if you're playing on anything not Hardcore btw
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #339 on: February 22, 2019, 02:30:32 PM »

Breh, literally: Git gud. You can kill three of the dogs in the kennel. You can take out the other two that spawn (once you know where they're spawning from) with 2-3 bursts of the Matilda or 2 blasts (if that) of the shotgun.

Eh, I'm not good at aiming games. This is why I don't play FPS.

What's the Matilda? I'm just using Leon's default pistol with the 24 clip enhancer. Is there a better pistol I should be using? I swear I shoot these zombies like 10 times in the head before they go down for good sometimes.

Also I'm afraid to waste shotgun ammo on anything less than a Licker because I'm a hoarder in survival horror games.

I didn't kill them in the kennel so there's a bunch everywhere. Feels like 3 in the main garage and a couple in the hallways which I can avoid.

thisismyusername

« Reply #340 on: February 22, 2019, 03:08:57 PM »
What's the Matilda?

I'm just using Leon's default pistol with the 24 clip enhancer.

That is the Matilda! ASKFJDASLKJDFALKJFADKLJA!

Is there a better pistol I should be using? I swear I shoot these zombies like 10 times in the head before they go down for good sometimes.

You can shoot them in the leg until they're blown off, then run past. Or shoot them in the head with critical (sit and wait a moment for the aim to close)

Also I'm afraid to waste shotgun ammo on anything less than a Licker because I'm a hoarder in survival horror games.

Don't worry since you can get enough shotgun ammo for like the entire game. You only need to clear out like 4 rooms in the R.P.D (due to backtracking/annoyances) and the rest can be ignored unless you want to clear certain enemies (like the dogs) off the board.

I didn't kill them in the kennel so there's a bunch everywhere. Feels like 3 in the main garage and a couple in the hallways which I can avoid.

There's only like 6 if you kill the Kennel. Otherwise it's 9 max.

You cant whine about eating hits if you're playing on anything not Hardcore btw

Also yeah, this. Hardcore will put you into instant Danger status (if you don't have a blue-herb mixture giving you a damage buff), Standard you can eat like 5-8 hits before dying, so don't worry if the dogs hit you. But  you can kill them easy-peasy with no problems.

Bebpo

« Reply #341 on: February 22, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
I headshot critical zombies and it still takes like 6-10 headshots for them to go down for real though? It's my one complaint about the game, how bullet sponge-y zombies are and why I try to just run by them to conserve pistol ammo. I also don't like that the knife breaks because I try to save ammo by knife fighting zombies when they're down but then my knives break eventually :|

Where I'm at now (Mr. X chasing me), I'm almost close to being completely out of handgun ammo (have maybe 9 shots left). I have a million things of gunpowder, should I bother using it to make handgun ammo or should I save it to combine with high power gunpowder for shotgun ammo?

thisismyusername

« Reply #342 on: February 22, 2019, 03:13:10 PM »
Where I'm at now (Mr. X chasing me), I'm almost close to being completely out of handgun ammo (have maybe 9 shots left). I have a million things of gunpowder, should I bother using it to make handgun ammo or should I save it to combine with high power gunpowder for shotgun ammo?

...Did you not read the file about gunpowder? :lol

black + black = Handgun
black + yellow (kill a fellow) = Shotgun
yellow + yellow = Magnum (though I think it's SMG in Claires IIRC?)

Edit: Honestly, it really depends. You can have like 30 Magnum ammo at the end if you save most of the yellows, but using them for shotgun ammo is fine. The bigger black powder + yellow will give you like 6-9 (#Nice) Shotgun ammo. But using the blacks together for Handgun ammo is a-ok if you just want to blow legs off and run past (or knife them to death I guess).

Take your time, explore. It sounds like you're not fully exploring rooms since you get a bunch of ammo in the R.P.D.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:19:10 PM by thisismyusername »

Bebpo

« Reply #343 on: February 22, 2019, 03:19:08 PM »
Yeah, that's what I just said. I've been saving all my black gunpowder to mix with yellow gunpowder for shotgun shells instead of using black + black for handgun ammo. Should I use some of the black gunpowder to make some handgun ammo?

Oh, saw your edit. Hmm, yeah so maybe use black for handgun and save most of the yellow for magnum. Got it.

Nah, I'm fully exploring everywhere. Been in every room I can. Outside being terrible at 3d combat I do consider myself fairly pro at survival horror games and have played most of them (including RE2 original) a bunch of times. Maybe I'm just overusing ammo? If there's a spot where there's a couple zombies (like when coming up out of the basement parking and having to open the electric gate from the intro and there's 2 zombies + 1 at the window + 1 eating [boarded the window and dodged the one eating]) I blow an entire 24 ammo clip if I kill them.

I haven't even cleared out the library yet and I know I'm gonna need to so I can move the bookshelves but there's like 3 zombies? So it's gonna eat up a ton of ammo.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:24:02 PM by Bebpo »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #344 on: February 22, 2019, 04:02:36 PM »

Eh, I'm not good at aiming games. This is why I don't play FPS.

What's the Matilda? I'm just using Leon's default pistol with the 24 clip enhancer. Is there a better pistol I should be using? I swear I shoot these zombies like 10 times in the head before they go down for good sometimes.

Here are my personal tips, based on me getting S+ ranks and watching speed runs:

Don't engage lickers or dogs in combat. Save flash grenades for Lickers and bosses. Memorize licker locations, flash grenade them to move by quickly. Dogs move too fast, save healing items for dog areas and run. If you dont have flash grenades, save healing items for luckers, and run.

Stun lock zombies with headshots, or blow a leg off, run by. Once you have tge shotgun as Leon, blow heads off to slip by quickly. Do not kill zombies with the matilda unless its tge library room.
OH!

Bebpo

« Reply #345 on: February 22, 2019, 05:11:43 PM »
Any reason I shouldn't fight the lickers? With a shotgun it seems pretty easy to sneak up quietly right next to them and keep shooting them and take them out easily if you're willing to spend the shotgun shells.

I'll start aiming at the legs for zombies.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #346 on: February 22, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
all lickers are avoidable by just walking, no point in killing any
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #347 on: February 22, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »
But when I do that they somehow magically hear me and jump and slash me even when I'm walking super slow.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #348 on: February 22, 2019, 06:31:46 PM »
Lickers have a general radius, they will try to follow you briefly but you can ignore them as long as you arent brushing against them

Just practice with one to see how it works
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #349 on: February 22, 2019, 09:12:46 PM »
Any reason I shouldn't fight the lickers?

There's absolutely no point in killing any of the lickers in the game. You can walk by them with no fighting needed. Even the one that drops during the bomb (though it's harder).

Just for you, I picked up all the ammo I could remember during Claire A, so while not exactly Leon A it should give you an idea in terms of ammo:

Note: This isn't mixing ammo/gunpowder. This is just the ammo you find. Not pictured: A whole bunch of ammo to mix.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Acid Rounds > Flame rounds, especially against Birkin.
[close]

thisismyusername

« Reply #350 on: February 23, 2019, 08:32:55 PM »
OwO:

:nsfw

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »
Hmmmm, I sat down to play today and realized quickly that I'm stuck? Wtf. Spent like 45 mins doing kamikaze runs across the map (shotgunning everything and taking hits and healing with sprays) just to try to figure out what I'm missing but I'm not seeing it.

I'm on Leon A. I've got Mr. X chasing me around everywhere which is annoying for certain rooms like the library moving bookshelfs. Right now I can't get to most of the 3rd floor because I need a lever for the jack in the library to move the bookshelves to give me access. Don't have the lever. I also don't have the book for the statue in the art room.

What I have is a jewelery box that needs a jewel, a gear, 1 of the 2 pieces for the jail and the statues left arm.

I have access to most of the station outside the 3rd floor a few locked heart key doors (still need heart key) and parking/jail area. Hmmmm, I haven't gone into each of the individual jail cells since most have a zombie in them. I wonder if one of the things I need is in them. Can't think of anywhere else since I've been through and the rest all seem blue color aka cleared?

thisismyusername

« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »
I have access to most of the station outside the 3rd floor a few locked heart key doors (still need heart key) and parking/jail area. Hmmmm, I haven't gone into each of the individual jail cells since most have a zombie in them. I wonder if one of the things I need is in them. Can't think of anywhere else since I've been through and the rest all seem blue color aka cleared?

...How the hell do you have Mr. X chasing you and missed the key in the area that basically locks you off until you have the key AND douse the helicopter...? :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2019, 09:52:50 PM »
I'm supposed to have the heart key at this point? I have the turquoise one you get first, the green clover key and the spade key. The only one I'm missing is the heart key which is the last of the 4.

I looked it up and it looks like I missed picking up a red book in the library on a table, which leads to the sceptor which leads to the jewel box which leads to the usb dongle, etc... so time to go grab that book and do that chain.

thisismyusername

« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2019, 10:01:21 PM »
I'm supposed to have the heart key at this point? I have the turquoise one you get first, the green clover key and the spade key. The only one I'm missing is the heart key which is the last of the 4.

I looked it up and it looks like I missed picking up a red book in the library on a table, which leads to the sceptor which leads to the jewel box which leads to the usb dongle, etc... so time to go grab that book and do that chain.

You don't need the S.T.A.R.S. USB Key unless you want the L.Hawk/Magnum, which really isn't needed (if you're speedrunning anyway, which since it's your first time through: Don't bother and just go for the Magnum).

The Club Key (green key) you got from that room is what you need to get the crank.

Spoiler: Club-key is exclusive to Leon A/B scenarios. Heart key is exclusive to Claire A/B scenarios, it's one of the changes they made in the scenarios (IIRC) where you don't need all 4 of the suit keys in each ones scenarios to get into areas. You get the crank for the bookcase in the same area, but getting to it with each character is different.

I'm honestly surprised you have been stuck on that since if you've explored the R.P.D. while Mr. X is chasing you, you've blown past a locked door that you should have the key for. :lol

Reload your save, and head to the West Wing. You'll find the area, and then can get the second spare part you need to then haul ass back to do the puzzle with.

Also you can take Mr. X out for like 30seconds with two or so shotgun blasts to head (from a medium distance, anyway), but I really wouldn't bother wasting that ammo and if you've got spare Flashbangs, use one of them to stun him for like 15 seconds (in an open area to get around him) and haul ass between rooms and then be quiet as a mouse while you do your stuff, he shouldn't catch up unless you're blasting your guns around until you ring the bell in the clocktower, in which case you generally have a shortcut to get past him at that point.

Bebpo

« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2019, 10:10:44 PM »
Yeah, just did all that and got the magnum.

Oh, I see it. That stupid door has heart door on one side, club on the other. Was thinking I needed the heart key.

Bebpo

« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2019, 10:19:52 PM »
Damn, trying to move all the bookshelves with Mr. X on your ass in the library is ridiculous. Going to have to lead him elsewhere, try to lose him and hope he doesn't find my ass because moving them all takes like 60-120 seconds. I went through 3 flash grenades on Mr. X and still couldn't move the last bookshelf.

Bebpo

« Reply #357 on: February 23, 2019, 10:28:06 PM »
Also if I’d remembered about the Mr. X mechanic, I would’ve cleared out the zombies in the library before he showed up :/ dealing with them and him made this part the toughest bit in the game so far. Oh well. Past it at least.

thisismyusername

« Reply #358 on: February 23, 2019, 10:38:32 PM »
Damn, trying to move all the bookshelves with Mr. X on your ass in the library is ridiculous. Going to have to lead him elsewhere, try to lose him and hope he doesn't find my ass because moving them all takes like 60-120 seconds. I went through 3 flash grenades on Mr. X and still couldn't move the last bookshelf.

You can move the left-most one to move all three at the same time, lead him up the ladder, run down the stairs, he'll follow you: Push them left, climb the ladder. Repeat until you're done.

Bebpo

« Reply #359 on: February 23, 2019, 11:17:59 PM »
Man, I don't like this ADA EMP stuff. I'm probably gonna have like 50 deaths at the end of my run at this rate.