Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 942057 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #9120 on: September 18, 2020, 02:43:15 AM »
It's by the Bastion and Transistor people.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #9121 on: September 18, 2020, 07:16:02 AM »
Is Hades switch only? Why do people care about this game?

edit: Oh I thought it was F2P, miss me with that $20

Rogue lites are for people that's hogs last long and hit hard.  8)
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9122 on: September 18, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
Yeah but we've seen your hog, I'm not sure a roguelike is for you
fat

mormapope

« Reply #9123 on: September 18, 2020, 11:54:23 AM »
It's not the size of the hog, it's the ferocity - Oscar Mayer
OH!

Himu

« Reply #9124 on: September 18, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »
got mario 3d all stars physical

IYKYK

daycru

« Reply #9125 on: September 18, 2020, 12:19:37 PM »
Really struggling with the star bit pointer controls for Galaxy, either jerky or just doesn’t work, tried both of my right joycons.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9126 on: September 18, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »
Got my copy of Mario 3D All Ports  :rejoice
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9127 on: September 18, 2020, 02:13:17 PM »
After 3 hours already halfway through Sunshine. Well, the main stars that is. Fuck the blue coin shit.

Himu

« Reply #9128 on: September 18, 2020, 02:18:33 PM »
Control issues plague all three:

64 - Camera is still :poop and it's now inverted. SAD.

Sunshine - I think they inverted FLUDD controls on top of the camera? Just doesn't feel as good or smooth as the original. Aiming FLUDD is :what to me.

Galaxy - With Pro control it exposes this game was made for the Wiimote and is not as smooth or as comfortable as the original. Playing it with the Joycons however is BLISS and easily the best way to play the game. Not only can you now spin with a button rather than shaking, you can easily point to get star bits too so it works as a beautiful medium between traditional and motion controls that were in the original.

Mario Galaxy exposes itself as the best of the bunch, once again, and is the star (hyuck hyuck) of the show. Still a perfect game.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9129 on: September 18, 2020, 02:21:42 PM »
I also got some glitches in Sunshine I don't remember getting in original. Enemy spawned inside of a tree and I managed to get stuck in one of the segments of the sand bird.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9130 on: September 18, 2020, 02:51:41 PM »
Got my copy and messed with some Mario 64. It runs pretty well enough
fat

Svejk

« Reply #9131 on: September 18, 2020, 04:41:48 PM »
They removed the 'Gay Bowser' line.  Trash port confirmed.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9132 on: September 18, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »
I was all about playing Sunshine again but I booted up Super Mario 64 first, defeated the first Bowser, found the Wing Cap and collected 15 power stars in one sitting  :lawd
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #9133 on: September 18, 2020, 05:59:04 PM »
Is Hades switch only? Why do people care about this game?

edit: Oh I thought it was F2P, miss me with that $20

Yeah I still haven't played it either, but everyone says it's one of the real GoTY contender type games this year.

I mildly enjoyed Bastion and liked a bit of Transistor until I got distracted and never picked it back up. I skipped their next one since it was sports although someone gifted it to me and told me it was really good and a story-based single player game. And now everyone says this is their best game by far and amazing.

So basically I need to sit down for a weekend and catchup on Supergiant Games.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9134 on: September 18, 2020, 08:56:51 PM »
They removed the 'Gay Bowser' line.  Trash port confirmed.

Pour one out.
  :tocry

But they didn't censor it- it's the Japanese re-release from '97 and Bowser is Koopa over there, so the line wouldn't make sense.
 :expert :nerds
ど助平

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #9135 on: September 18, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »
I also got some glitches in Sunshine I don't remember getting in original. Enemy spawned inside of a tree and I managed to get stuck in one of the segments of the sand bird.

Sunshine was a glitchy rushed game. There’s all kinds of shit like that in the original.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #9136 on: September 18, 2020, 10:15:17 PM »
Odyssey has out classed all of these games to the point where all of them, even Galaxy, are hard to go back to.

Galaxy isn't as good as I remember it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:22:48 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #9137 on: September 19, 2020, 02:45:39 AM »
The gen 5 3D Mario being better than 1-3 is hardly a revelation. :doge
Hi

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9138 on: September 19, 2020, 04:35:50 AM »
I still like 64 and Sunshine the most. They just feel the best to play to me, even if the level design isn't the strongest. I also never found Galaxy to be that much fun. For people shitting on Mario 3D World, Galaxy was basically the start of that sort of design.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9139 on: September 19, 2020, 07:08:10 AM »
Super Mario 64 is fun but I can see why Nintendo distributes this as limited time releases as opposed to something they want to define their library with. It really shows they had to start this 3D thing from scratch after their well-aged 2D games and at times it almost feels like they released a beta version. A lot of simple QOL improvements are missing obviously, but a lot of the mechanics are also under cooked.

I love it myself but there isn't much appeal for gamers of today to collect all the Power Stars. Remaking it opens a new can of worms because then it wouldn't be Super Mario 64 anymore. Because all the quirks and experimentation turn it into what it is.
Their time is better spend creating a new Super Mario game or doing what SEGA did with Generations and create a sort of Mario mash-up type of game with modern mechanics. In a way that was already covered in Odyssey though. With a Sunshine level and tons of references to classic Mario games.

Mario 64 really opened my eyes as to how far modern video games have come and how much they have improved.
I also after all this time finally understand why Nintendo opted out of Mario 128 or something like that for the GameCube.

Today I'm going to try my hand at Sunshine. I remember Mario controlled really smooth in that game so we'll see how that holds up.
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9140 on: September 19, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »
Shadow Mario doesn't seem to work right. He's supposed to paint Ms as you chase him. The sound effect plays, but no goop.

daycru

« Reply #9141 on: September 19, 2020, 10:05:35 AM »
I still like 64 and Sunshine the most. They just feel the best to play to me, even if the level design isn't the strongest. I also never found Galaxy to be that much fun. For people shitting on Mario 3D World, Galaxy was basically the start of that sort of design.
A lot of Galaxy feels like an excellent version of 3D Sonic, on rails flinging from star to star bridged with some light platforming.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9142 on: September 19, 2020, 10:17:50 AM »
Already beat the story in Sunshine after 6 hours of play...

mormapope

« Reply #9143 on: September 19, 2020, 10:29:07 AM »
I'm gonna dig into Mario 64 today. Tbh, a game from 1996 that still holds up in regards to 3D control and feel is a rarity. 3D PS1 action games for example do not hold up well.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #9144 on: September 19, 2020, 10:32:10 AM »
I'm gonna dig into Mario 64 today. Tbh, a game from 1996 that still holds up in regards to 3D control and feel is a rarity. 3D PS1 action games for example do not hold up well.

Ghost in the shell.

Boom.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9145 on: September 19, 2020, 12:17:15 PM »
All Marios are valid. :juche
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9146 on: September 19, 2020, 12:44:40 PM »

Ghost in the shell.

Boom.

And the Jumping Flash games (From the same dev!), even though they're pretty basic.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #9147 on: September 19, 2020, 01:24:35 PM »

Ghost in the shell.

Boom.
And the Jumping Flash games (From the same dev!), even though they're pretty basic.
And both ripe for a VR remaster.  :lawd

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9148 on: September 19, 2020, 01:38:43 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine sure got a glow up but it is of course a much slower more padded game than Super Mario 64 which instantly throws you in the action.
Control wise indeed Mario controls buttery smooth but I miss the GameCube triggers more than I thought I would.

Fun game all around but already ran into some camera glitches in Ricco Harbor, so this is the real Sunshine experience(TM).
Collecting blue coins is much easier now and the game overall is much more accessible at higher resolution, allowing you to see far into the distance.

Played some Mario 64 again as well and again fun times. Still, I haven't changed my mind on it. It's a very simplistic experimental game, which is part of its strength but also a weakness in 2020.
Take a level like Jolly Roger Bay, which is nothing more than a small puddle of water and a cave. Not much interactivity going on with the ship either, which is a flat platform that floats on the water with that one weird skull box sliding on top of it.
Were it recreated in 2020 for Super Mario Odyssey it would have masts for Mario to climb and reach a crows nest and no doubt an interior. Already up to about 35 stars so I Also dipped my toes into some of the weird levels like Wet Dry World and Hazy Maze Cave.
🤴

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #9149 on: September 19, 2020, 01:42:35 PM »
Hades is legit. It's super addictive.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #9150 on: September 19, 2020, 07:01:02 PM »
ok but Ocarina of Time on Christmas morning>>>>>

Being an older millennial  :kobeyuck :mjcry

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #9151 on: September 19, 2020, 07:22:59 PM »
64 really needs a full remake and I have no idea why they haven't done it especially in light of DS version having more features. This release of 64 is many ways a regression.

Please Understand™
yar

Himu

« Reply #9152 on: September 19, 2020, 07:50:15 PM »
Sunshine sucks.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9153 on: September 19, 2020, 08:36:08 PM »
I really love Sunshine's aesthetic and music, it's so calming and peaceful.
dog

Tuckers Law

« Reply #9154 on: September 19, 2020, 08:41:12 PM »
Only platforming Mario game I haven’t really cared for is NSMB2.  The rest I’ve found were either fun for me the first time around, or always fun.

Himu

« Reply #9155 on: September 19, 2020, 08:47:14 PM »
I really love Sunshine's aesthetic and music, it's so calming and peaceful.

I love the aesthetic we well.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #9156 on: September 20, 2020, 12:17:29 AM »
It's just not a good Mario. Here Mario 64 is with this flvast tool kit and moveset and in Sunshine you can't even long jump. So much is tied to FLUDD and its upgrades which completely upends the traditional Mario format of being able to turn to shit to gold with you're given. Then there's the fact so much relies on FLUDD that in many cases it's barely a platformer. Would be a great game if not a Mario game.
IYKYK

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9157 on: September 20, 2020, 10:49:53 AM »
How many of you are playing Hades? This game is pure crack. I legit can't believe how excellent and polished it is. I say this as someone who's always been exhausted by how much Supergiant focused on story and dialog, but they nailed the rogeulike gameplay *and* sculpted a story/characters that *gasp* I'm interested in. My current GOTY.
Unzip

mormapope

« Reply #9158 on: September 20, 2020, 11:10:43 AM »
How many of you are playing Hades? This game is pure crack. I legit can't believe how excellent and polished it is. I say this as someone who's always been exhausted by how much Supergiant focused on story and dialog, but they nailed the rogeulike gameplay *and* sculpted a story/characters that *gasp* I'm interested in. My current GOTY.

I've put in about 10-12 hours since it released a few days ago. What makes it like crack is the people at Supergiant understand the most fun aspects of rougelikes, while mitigating ALL the frustrating parts. The amount of contextual and different dialog scenes alleviate repetitiveness and keep things fresh, every single run.

We've gone thru waves of really good rougelikes, but this is the new golden standard for the genre.
OH!

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9159 on: September 20, 2020, 12:02:58 PM »

I've put in about 10-12 hours since it released a few days ago. What makes it like crack is the people at Supergiant understand the most fun aspects of rougelikes, while mitigating ALL the frustrating parts. The amount of contextual and different dialog scenes alleviate repetitiveness and keep things fresh, every single run.

We've gone thru waves of really good rougelikes, but this is the new golden standard for the genre.

Yes! Also, the amount of persistent improvements/currencies across runs really balances things out while not negating the core Rogeulike structure. Like, I don't think I've had a single run that felt useless because of the stuff I brought back or events/dialogues I've triggered.
Unzip

Bebpo

« Reply #9160 on: September 20, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »
Yeah, bought it because the hype. Will try it sometime this week.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9161 on: September 20, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
Yeah, bought it because the hype. Will try it sometime this week.

Unless you have a big thing against roguelikes- you won’t regret it!
Unzip

Himu

« Reply #9162 on: September 20, 2020, 05:38:32 PM »
i'll give it a shot :obama
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #9163 on: September 20, 2020, 08:43:48 PM »
Another aspect that was nailed, the soundtrack is excellent throughout. Quiet moments and during combat.

This song for the first couple of minutes is like a Bear McCreary song for Battlestar Galactica. And then ends up being something that'd belong in Doom.

:lawd
OH!

Himu

« Reply #9164 on: September 21, 2020, 01:47:17 AM »
Hades isn't bad. I'm pretty surprised because I dislike Supergiant games past efforts. They have this "talk too much" vibe combined with mindless hack and slash gameplay. They never clicked.

Hades is much better. It's still a hack and slash but it's fun and definitely not mindless. As a rogue like it's not entirely to my taste (I prefer turn based rogue likes such as Shiren over something like Binding of Isaac) but it's fun. If you like action based rogue likes with interesting settings I recommend it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #9165 on: September 21, 2020, 01:54:32 AM »
Speaking of shiren :rejoice

https://m.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #9166 on: September 21, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »
Hades isn't bad. I'm pretty surprised because I dislike Supergiant games past efforts. They have this "talk too much" vibe combined with mindless hack and slash gameplay. They never clicked.
I so so soooo wanted to love Transistor...  Goddam drooled over the art nouveau art direction and the gameplay loop was fun enough.....  but holy shit... I couldn't stand listening to that fucking sword thing talk anymore.  Just STFU!!!  You don't sound cool!  Just stop already!  I never played Bastion, but learning that that "voice actor" did a voice in Bastion too?  Insta-pass.  Something about his voice is like nails down the chalkboard to me.
 :existential

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9167 on: September 21, 2020, 07:01:22 PM »
Do we know who’s responsible for the character art in Hades? They remind me of the 3DS MegaTen a lot. In a good way.
Unzip

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9168 on: September 21, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
Do we know who’s responsible for the character art in Hades? They remind me of the 3DS MegaTen a lot. In a good way.

https://www.deviantart.com/jenzee
dog

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9169 on: September 21, 2020, 09:43:17 PM »

https://www.deviantart.com/jenzee

Interesting. It’s their in-house art director who worked on Transistor and Pyre. I guess they upped their game. The art is very elaborative and imaginative.
Unzip

Bebpo

« Reply #9170 on: September 22, 2020, 03:12:22 AM »
Played a couple hours of Hades. I like it and definitely has that one more run feel, but is there seriously no shortcuts and you have to start from the first world and redo all the bosses every run? I'm getting tired of fighting the first boss over and over already.

Got to the Bone Hydra in the second world. Was doing ok but the 2nd shielded phase with like 5-6 hyrdras all around was just too much spam to dodge and died >< Sticking to sword although my best run so far was with the bow.

Hmm, looking around the game is a lot shorter than I thought so I guess the repetition is less of an issue. I kinda assumed the game would be like 6+ worlds which would be a lot of floors & bosses to have to go through every time. Guess it's just about getting good at the few bosses there are.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:28:39 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #9171 on: September 22, 2020, 04:40:12 AM »
Had a run where I got some crazy DPS stuff for the spears (3x attack on dash + attack buffs) and just took out the mini-hydras super fast. Got killed a few chambers into Elysium though, was not well setup for the shield guys with my dash spear attacks.

I have a feeling when I beat a run I'm going to be pretty much over this. It's cool, but it's only sorta my kind of game. I like rogues but only certain ones that click with me. Kinda surprised it's scoring as high as it is in the 90+ metacritic. It's good but I'm not seeing anything that overwhelming amazing about it besides the tons of combinations for attacks & abilities by mixing and matching all the boons which is cool and makes for interesting combat, but idk, I need something more than the game is giving me to stay compelling for more than a couple days.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 04:46:04 AM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9172 on: September 22, 2020, 08:33:12 AM »
ど助平

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9173 on: September 22, 2020, 01:50:09 PM »
@Bebpo, yeah, you have start from the beginning. The game has a lot of layers that may obfuscate it's core, but it's intended to be a Rogeulike. Or Roguelite. Or whatever nerdy purists want to call it.

And like many other games in the genre, once you invest a bit more time and build up the arsenal of your permanent stat bonus and abilities, you can be in and out of the first level in under 9 mins (my current best time). I basically steamroll everything until Elysium right now.
Unzip

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9174 on: September 23, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »
Smash Bros. Lite Kirby Fighters 2 - Out now for $20

ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9175 on: September 24, 2020, 12:33:02 AM »
Mario's Picross is the bees nees
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9176 on: September 24, 2020, 12:54:05 AM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9177 on: September 24, 2020, 12:54:48 AM »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9178 on: September 24, 2020, 04:51:56 AM »
Smash Bros. Lite Kirby Fighters 2 - Out now for $20

RIP Nintendie speculators who spend all day connecting the Kirby leak dots to a new Nintendo Direct  :neogaf
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #9179 on: September 24, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »
I didn't even know there was a Kirby Fighters 1.
©@©™