Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 943520 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #9780 on: February 17, 2021, 08:20:31 PM »
Skyward Sword is not a bad game just really clunky and all the character artists were on strike when they made it.
The hype was insane though, I remember going to the Zelda concert in London just before release and hearing the theme song live  :lawd

The "hype" of the worst selling 3D Zelda on one of the biggest install bases. I wanted to sugarcoat it when I was still a fanboy, but there really was no energy sorrounding or within the game. They undid some of the absolute basics of 3D world design. Recently I played Dragon Quest Swords and the variety of combat scenarios completely shits over Skyward Sword, they did nothing with it. Red Steel 2 also way better. And that pastel graphics gimmick still doesn't work in HD, it's just a mess.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:39:56 PM by Spieler1 »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9781 on: February 17, 2021, 08:21:17 PM »
It's Boku no Natsuyasumi, but with a license.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boku_no_Natsuyasumi

paprikastaude

« Reply #9782 on: February 17, 2021, 08:23:50 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #9783 on: February 17, 2021, 08:25:15 PM »
No one else played Fragile Dreams :fbm

Tasty

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9785 on: February 17, 2021, 08:32:39 PM »
Samurai Warriors & Ninja Gaiden also coming to other platforms

That's good because otherwise we'll only have shit framerate SW.

Wish Zelda musou would come to PC...

That's not necessarily true on the Switch, but I would expect SW5 to look and run better regardless.
ど助平

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #9786 on: February 17, 2021, 08:33:39 PM »
that's why they took ninja gaiden 2 off gamepass  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

when bc got added I drove 50km to a thrift shop to buy a $10 hard copy of ninja gaiden 2. knew koei would pull some shid like this

paprikastaude

« Reply #9787 on: February 17, 2021, 08:36:31 PM »
Got my copy of NG2 today also :playa

Black collection was never in the cards tbh. Does Sigma 2 have blood at least? The Vita version did.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9788 on: February 17, 2021, 08:37:20 PM »
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9789 on: February 17, 2021, 08:42:12 PM »
skyword sword hd might get me to buy a switch, but now I also feel like I should just wait for the super  :thinking

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9790 on: February 17, 2021, 08:54:16 PM »
I know I’m not the target audience for this, but pretty disappointing anyway.

Where is Bayonetta 3? Where is Monolith Soft?

Pyra in Smash is lame. Not only because I hate her and the shit game she was form, but surely there are more iconic gaming characters to pull from?

SW5 and Ninja Gaiden are cool, but I sure am not going to play them on the Switch. Even with Nintendo money, Koei can’t get something like Age of Calamity to run. It like crap. Do any Koei games run well on Switch?

Splatoon 3 is cool I guess, but I’ll be honest I liked 1 on the Wii U over the 2nd game.

No More Heroes is of course a game I’m there for day one and the type of stuff I have A Switch for. Same for Triangle SRPG. Looks neat and in general Square’s support of the Switch is good.

Honestly, just not enough things for my taste.

Tasty

« Reply #9791 on: February 17, 2021, 09:01:56 PM »
I legit had the thought after the Direct concluded, Rahx is not going to like this one. :lol

Bayo 3 and Monolith are E3/TGS/TGA level announcements, not surprised Feb Direct I think.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9792 on: February 17, 2021, 09:06:56 PM »
SW5 and Ninja Gaiden are cool, but I sure am not going to play them on the Switch. Even with Nintendo money, Koei can’t get something like Age of Calamity to run. It like crap. Do any Koei games run well on Switch?

Yes- Hyrule Warriors, Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate, Sengoku Musou 4 DX, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, and Dynasty Warriors 8 XL run at 60 FPS.  I haven't played them, but I believe Sangoku Musou 7 (DW8) Empires and Spirit Of Sanada also run at 60 FPS.   

One Piece Pirate Warriors 4 is pretty smooth most of the time and runs between 30-40 FPS.  Warriors Orochi 4/Ultimate targets 30 FPS but dips heavily.  Hyrule Warriors AoC is easily the worst-performing game they've developed, but it also runs fine for the type of game that it is- the game play is still very good.

Persona 5 Strikers also runs at a very smooth 30 FPS on Switch as well and looks fantastic, but it's 60 FPS on PS4 and PC.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:11:25 PM by bork »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9793 on: February 17, 2021, 09:16:50 PM »
Friend made this:

^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9794 on: February 17, 2021, 09:26:02 PM »
That reminds me- where the hell are Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 for Switch in English?  I thought ratings for them or pre-order listings popped up somewhere?  The 1&2 pack was a Japanese launch title.
:thinking
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9795 on: February 18, 2021, 12:44:07 AM »
Played the first battle of Triangle Strategy today. Yeah, it's definitely a successor to FFT, and it's a fair bit gritty (regicide, blood, implied beheading). The gameplay looks to be pretty straightforward FFT style, there were different characters with varied movesets (not sure if there's a class system or you have fixed characters) and you get bonuses for doing things like back attacks, exploiting weaknesses, etc. I also like how you can wander around pre-battle and talk to people... I much prefer this to the menu being a stand-in for town and camp exploration that a lot of other SRPGs have. Saved the game at a point where I have to convince the townspeople that I'm worth sparing or something... there seems to be moral choices that will affect which characters join you too. Definitely excited for this.
^_^

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #9796 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:40 AM »
I own a physical copy but never played it, it's sitting in a box in my storage room right now.  :doge

Also this made me realize my backlog is more depressing than I thought.  :'(

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #9797 on: February 18, 2021, 04:26:25 AM »
I bought it for cheap. Never got around to playing it.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #9798 on: February 18, 2021, 04:30:59 AM »
My "it would be fucking cool" predictions:
  • Pikmin 4
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Splatoon 3
  • Mario Galaxy 2 as DLC for Mario 3D collection
1 out of 4 ain't bad...I guess
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9799 on: February 18, 2021, 05:38:14 AM »
travis touchdown's twin brother, henry cooldown  :-* :lol :-* :lol

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EudiHTKUYAAycOL?format=jpg&name=large

He's been there since the first game. I guess he's going through a phase.

Svejk

« Reply #9800 on: February 18, 2021, 08:33:15 AM »
And LOL at them apologizing for not having any BOTW2 news...  Just coddling thirsty fanboys.   :lol

And also lol at folks believing it will release this year too. 

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9801 on: February 18, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
Man, the enhanced speed in Super Mario 3D World completely breaks any of the challenges that were on a timer. Can't wait to see if they broke the level with the flying flagpole as well or if they actually adjusted it's speed.

I imagine using Toad breaks the game even further since his gimmick is being the fastest character.

Tasty

« Reply #9802 on: February 18, 2021, 08:50:51 AM »
I own a physical copy but never played it, it's sitting in a box in my storage room right now.  :doge

I bought it for cheap. Never got around to playing it.

Way to prove my point. :stahp

Where's the Switch port of that, Bamco?  :birdman

Svejk

« Reply #9803 on: February 18, 2021, 08:57:06 AM »
Also,  REEEEE really starting to get heated between  :reeeee  VS. :jgames in their Smash Bros. thread.  :lol

Svejk

« Reply #9804 on: February 18, 2021, 09:00:23 AM »
Although, the direct wasn't much for me, I'm finally coming around to justifying a purchase of one of these, but man.... these are not easy to come by.  (Would really like the Animal Crossing: Special Edition one)  I had an easier time getting a PS5 it seemed.  :doge

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #9805 on: February 18, 2021, 09:52:05 AM »
And also lol at folks believing it will release this year too.
Normally I expect ~6 years between mainline games but I could see it hitting this holiday tbh. This is the first time Nintendo has done a direct mainline Zelda sequel with more or less the same engine and art style since Majora's Mask, and that game had a fast turn around.

:idont

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9806 on: February 18, 2021, 01:24:05 PM »
I'm in the 2022 boat for BOTW 2 also but early 2022.
My guess is that they're still trying to get it out this year but aren't certain they can make it and it will slip into 2022.
Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 have vanished and they probably can't depend on those.

So for the holidays this year, I dunno, maybe Mario Kart: Grand Tour salvaged from Mario Kart Tour assets in addition to another Grezzo Zelda remake and weeb game? (Xeno or Fire Emblem related).
Some Kirby and Pokemon sprinkled in the middle? With games having release dates up until August I don't expect them to release more than 3 or 4 games between September 2021 and January 1st 2022.
By introducing Skyward Sword HD at 59,99 it is likely that TP HD and WW HD will follow as seperate 59,99 releases at some point. Then again having all Zelda's playable on a single system with the Wii U didn't really matter.

Also, they can't keep the Switch on shelves as it is so unless the new model offers something the existing one doesn't I don't expect them to push the Switch Pro trigger anytime soon.
However that's something we won't know for sure until after they post their financial results. I'm not sure how much this all has to do with pandemic or just Nintendo being Nintendo.  :doge
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #9807 on: February 18, 2021, 01:52:52 PM »
This Direct in general was very third party oriented. At this point, when something new is ready to come within a month or two, Nintendo will do something for the game specifically.

Splatoon 3 being announced this early is probably to quell Splatoon fans and reassure them new stuff is coming. When they do a BotW 2 blowout, it'll probably come out soon afterwards.

OH!

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #9808 on: February 18, 2021, 02:00:49 PM »
Ugh, what a waste of a direct. I mean I'm glad I'll get Skyward sword without the motion controls (still holding out hope for all the Zeldas on one system)
But outside of that and the new SquarEnix TRPG just sorta "eh.....what else is there this year?"
que

Bebpo

« Reply #9809 on: February 18, 2021, 02:13:37 PM »
 :drudge :drudge

THE NINJA WARRIORS SAVIORS HAS FINALLY GONE ON SALE

:drudge :drudge

I just got an email from Nintendo letting me know. I've had this game on my wishlist for like 2 years and it's never been on sale. 50% off, $9.99. NINJA TIME

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #9810 on: February 18, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »

Were looking at Wii 2012 folks
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9811 on: February 18, 2021, 02:33:06 PM »
It's fine by me I'm about halfway through Xenoblade, I never finished 2 so I can finsih that too and Torna is still sealed.
That should be about 100 hours of Xenoblade. Then I have my second BOTW run on the backburner, good for another 20 - 30 hours.

I might get back into Smash a bit for the waifu DLC and finish its story/spirit board thing some day.
Then there's Super Mario 3D World which I haven't even picked up yet.

On PC I've got a massive backlog of Death Stranding, Star Wars and a number of VR games.
There's GamePass and a backlog on Xbox One X too and always Call of Doody.

Even if Nintendo's line-up isn't stacked I've got enough to play until No More Heroes 3 and there's plenty of Switch games I haven't bought either.
Unlike on Wii U it's difficult to run out of games on the Switch.
🤴

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #9812 on: February 18, 2021, 02:34:23 PM »
I never ran out of games on Wii U.

:idont
:O

Bebpo

« Reply #9813 on: February 18, 2021, 03:05:49 PM »
Ok, Ninja Saviors is weird. I didn't realize it wasn't a standard free movement beat-em-up but a side scrolling left/right/jump only one. Never played a beat-em-up with only 2 planes. Interesting.

Tasty

« Reply #9814 on: February 18, 2021, 03:06:25 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Were looking at Wii 2012 folks

I originally couldn't play Skyward Sword until Jan 2012. :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9815 on: February 18, 2021, 05:52:36 PM »
skyward sword is not the best 3D zelder, but the game does have some of the best that 3D zelder has to offer.

I'm also a person who prefers motion controls to dual thumbstick controls  :trumps

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9816 on: February 18, 2021, 08:04:11 PM »

I'm also a person who prefers motion controls to dual thumbstick controls  :trumps

:info
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #9817 on: February 18, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9818 on: February 18, 2021, 08:25:49 PM »
I'm really excited for the Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana remasters, tho.
dog

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #9819 on: February 18, 2021, 08:35:53 PM »

i do think standard twin stick are significantly improved when you add motion too a la how VR is utilising twin sticks + full motion. RE4 also completely sold me on the utility and fun of using pointers for shooting. just wish they elaborated on that control scheme further rather than the janky touchscreen controller on wii u. switch is kinda getting there i guess, but i think the quest and index controllers are the most logical progression for vidya
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #9820 on: February 18, 2021, 08:42:37 PM »
i think quest controllers are the closest to being brilliant for power users while also being accessible and intuitive for beginners. index controllers feel a little overengineered, though they're probably a little better once you get used to them. switch pro is nice, switch mini pads are made for midgets, uncomfortable and too expensive, ps5 is very comfortable but has one of the worst dpads i've ever used. my fav "standard" controller is currently the bone pad i use on pc.
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #9821 on: February 19, 2021, 01:00:01 AM »
yar

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #9822 on: February 19, 2021, 04:17:09 AM »
They should port that Wii metroid game everyone online loses their shit about :rash
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9823 on: February 19, 2021, 05:21:29 AM »
Wish they put out that new No More Heroes 3 trailer without the annoying Nintendo Direct voice-over. Looking at the new Henry design again, seems that it's done by the guy that did the character design for the Silver Case back in the day.

Hopefully the writing is solid again like it was in Travis Strikes Again. The entire corporate run of Grasshopper from No More Heroes 2 to Killer is Dead felt completely disconnected to the stuff that came before. Glad they're back to a tinier team doing the stuff they want.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #9824 on: February 19, 2021, 10:02:06 AM »
I'm really excited for the Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana remasters, tho.

Not so much LOM but I'm hyped for Triangle Strategy and ofc the SaGa Frontier remaster.
I was perfectly fine with the Direct, it actually had a few games that I'll buy in there. 
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9825 on: February 19, 2021, 11:28:56 AM »
Spend my James Fund earnings on the Zelda Joy Cons :trumps

They're already selling out fast  :doge
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #9826 on: February 19, 2021, 11:36:44 AM »
joy cons :info
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #9827 on: February 19, 2021, 11:59:31 AM »
Lemme know when the MH Rise Protroller and Amiibo are up and ready to preorder breh. :pimp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9828 on: February 19, 2021, 12:10:50 PM »
Lemme know when the MH Rise Protroller and Amiibo are up and ready to preorder breh. :pimp

Controller is up on Gamestop.  I might get one but will wait until it's on either Best Buy or Amazon.
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #9829 on: February 19, 2021, 12:19:37 PM »
Branded controllers

:jeanluc
yar

Tasty

« Reply #9830 on: February 19, 2021, 12:31:26 PM »
Branded controllers

:jeanluc

I've grown up with MadCatz shit breh. :lol A cool paint job is one of the least offensive things you can do to a controller.

Tasty

« Reply #9831 on: February 19, 2021, 12:34:49 PM »

Controller is up on Gamestop.  I might get one but will wait until it's on either Best Buy or Amazon.

Hmm yeah for the controller will probably wait for Amazon.

Amiibos are GameStop only. :beli And also for the record, the only other Amiibo I have is Lucas in a glass case which I bought when I thought Mother 3 was finally coming State-side. :'( I don't even have the Animal Crossing ones lol.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9832 on: February 19, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »
Having a shrine to Nintendo fucking you over is pretty great.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9833 on: February 19, 2021, 01:47:01 PM »

Hmm yeah for the controller will probably wait for Amazon.

Amiibos are GameStop only. :beli And also for the record, the only other Amiibo I have is Lucas in a glass case which I bought when I thought Mother 3 was finally coming State-side. :'( I don't even have the Animal Crossing ones lol.

I got some bootleg amiibo cards off Amazon.  Pretty sure they have all the Animal Crossing ones as cards for a much cheaper price.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9834 on: February 19, 2021, 02:21:22 PM »
I've got the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Pro Controller too.
Which is the only version in Europe with the improved D-Pad.

My line of thinking is that these Joy Con might not drift

:snob
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #9835 on: February 19, 2021, 03:09:27 PM »
Having a shrine to Nintendo fucking you over is pretty great.

>:(

:(

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #9836 on: February 19, 2021, 10:55:05 PM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #9837 on: February 20, 2021, 05:54:31 AM »
Looks like Ghost n Goblins is free on the Capcom Arcade Stadium as well.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9838 on: February 20, 2021, 06:37:00 AM »
It is always funny to see how Nintendo fans are misaligned with how Nintendo sees their franchises.
Nintendo considers these four (+Pokemon, but that is its own thing) to be their biggest franchises, for example Splatoon 2 sold 4 million in Japan.
So this is what they proudly display in their store in Tokyo. Of course Smash Bros. is a 'mix' of these and Mario Kart is part of the Mario multiverse.

So to them dropping Splatoon 3 was the equivalent of unveiling Twilight Princess at E3 2004.
While Fire Emblem is gaining ground they're also very bullish on Xenoblade, since XB2 and XBDE exceeded sales expectations.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 06:45:04 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #9839 on: February 20, 2021, 09:18:17 AM »
Don't forget Next Level leveling up the Luigi's Mansion series with each new game, to the point they're first party now.