Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933710 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2016, 07:39:31 PM »
NBA 2K17 is 68.43 GB according to Steam.

Skyrim is only 14GB though. With the high resolution textures.

Even Ghosts, Advanced Warfare and Black Ops III's multiplayer only are all over 32 GB. AW's is 51 GB. Though (based on a casual glance at the maps of every CoD ever) a lot of the assets are reused for both single and multiplayer so total sizes probably aren't significantly bigger.

Titanfall 1 is 63GB. BF4 Complete (or "Platinum" I guess) is 65GB, BF:Hardline with the two expansions they gave for free is 58GB. BF3 Complete is 34GB.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:44:21 PM by benjipwns »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2016, 07:41:03 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is 32gb that small ? I know there's several games over that, but are they so numerous ?
[close]

Battlefield 4 with all the DLC is pushing that (it was ~7-12gig at launch), the newest one is 40gigs without the DLC so far. So... yeah. "Next-gen" stuff has blown the roof off reasonable download sizes for slower connections and small drives won't cut it if you are playing 2-5 games.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
how big could the cartridges be?
püp

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2016, 08:01:56 PM »
Nintendo designs hardware for Nintendo games.  As long as they expect Moar New Super Mario Bros to be a few gigabytes, they don't really care.  Besides you won't get anything like Doom 4 or Forza Horizon 3 on this piece of crap, it's going to be the usual Nintendo shit, some half assed third party software, and that's it.  Just like the Wii U and the latter days of the Wii when the hardware sales bubble burst.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
The ones for the 3DS can go up to 8GB.

But SanDisk is one of the partners and they make USB flash drives* that are the smaller and hold up to 128GB for under $30. So 32GB and maybe even 64GB could be plausible? I mean, Zelda has to fit right and the Wii U discs are 25GB.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:32:22 PM by benjipwns »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2016, 08:54:46 PM »
32GB seems about right for the Switch, maybe more than that for certain games. Going any lower would definitely lead to space issues, since most Switch games will be at least as big as Wii U games.
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2016, 01:23:38 AM »
Last gen tech at best?  You gotta be kidding me  :lol

Well its launching in 2017 with less juice then an Xbox One from 2013 so yeah, last gen at best, not even talking about that MS and Sony already will have even more powerful hardware out

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 01:29:22 AM by Premium Lager »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2016, 03:41:14 AM »
They should bump it to 64, and include some large ssd in the dock. Because if that thing really is just for output/charging, that's an awful waste of space for an hdmi out / AC in solution.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2016, 04:02:24 AM »
The real killer for me is the "no new official info before 2017", it doesn't project confidence in the least. 6 months to start hyping (3rd party) upcoming games doesn't seem egregious, gives the impression they actually have nothing to show (on top of showing the not especially current Skyrim and not naming any of the games displayed on the video). The video also didn't hint at any sort of touch screen, multimedia apps or online functionality ? Given it's Nintendo, I'm inclined to believe the worst and that they'll go cheap.
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2016, 05:44:40 AM »
Its safe to assume they wont deliver on the basics people expect from tablets in 2017 as Nintendo is a company a decade behind the tech and software curve at least.

Look at how XBL was in 2006 and how Nintendos online is today, its not even on that level...

archnemesis

« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
I'm fine with 3 hours of battery, since I will almost exclusively play it in my home. I haven't had issues with the Wii U tablet or the Dualshock 4, and those are in the same low range.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #251 on: October 23, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »
The real killer for me is the "no new official info before 2017", it doesn't project confidence in the least. 6 months to start hyping (3rd party) upcoming games doesn't seem egregious, gives the impression they actually have nothing to show (on top of showing the not especially current Skyrim and not naming any of the games displayed on the video). The video also didn't hint at any sort of touch screen, multimedia apps or online functionality ? Given it's Nintendo, I'm inclined to believe the worst and that they'll go cheap.

Nintendo says they're not selling hardware at a loss with the Switch.  It's going to be pretty barren of features unless they want to charge $400 for it.
🍆🍆

Raist

« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2016, 08:35:11 AM »
I'm fine with 3 hours of battery, since I will almost exclusively play it in my home. I haven't had issues with the Wii U tablet or the Dualshock 4, and those are in the same low range.

The thing is that neither of these 2 are portables.

nudemacusers

« Reply #253 on: October 23, 2016, 08:44:20 AM »
I don't play specs, I play games. U guys can enjoy your iterative brown grey shooter fests and leave the sense of adventure and style to the real gamers   :miyamoto
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #254 on: October 23, 2016, 09:06:30 AM »
Its safe to assume they wont deliver on the basics people expect from tablets in 2017 as Nintendo is a company a decade behind the tech and software curve at least.

Look at how XBL was in 2006 and how Nintendos online is today, its not even on that level...

Nintendo's online isn't where XBL was in 2002

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #255 on: October 23, 2016, 11:33:04 AM »

^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2016, 11:35:40 AM »
Day 1
dog

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2016, 11:39:45 AM »
that is the target audience i imagine

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2016, 03:15:23 PM »
Price ? Specs ? :yeshrug
Plastic colors tho :lawd
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #259 on: October 23, 2016, 03:23:50 PM »
I don't play specs, I play games. U guys can enjoy your iterative brown grey shooter fests and leave the sense of adventure and style to the real gamers   :miyamoto

All dat whimsy.  :lawd
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2016, 08:55:42 PM »

Well fortunately for us, this thing will probably have 5 games you can't get anywhere else that are marginally worth playing, so.
yar

Himu

« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »
I'm hopeful. Haven't been excited for a system like this since wii60. This generation is starting to get great. 2016 I haven't been this interested in games in a long time. Seeing lots of weird, experimental games like Azbu, lots of great jrpgs and handheld games, indie is really finally starting to become a legitimate alternative to big budget games with titles like the witness, Nintendo is making strides and putting out great looking games like Pokemon sun and moon. There's a return of crpgs, and Shenmue III exists. Mobile is still kicking with lots of good games, ending with a Mario mobile game at the end of the year. Zelda BOTW was my game of the show at E3 and I'm really excited for the possibilities of a shared ecosystem Nintendo can bring. My main worry is battery life. Don't ruin my positivity train Nintendo, I'm excited. This could become my main system depending on how this plays out.

If this gen continues in this way like this year it will have made up for the absolute boredom that was last generation. What a terrible generation outside of a few games. Thankfully ds and psp were a thing.  Keep it going!
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #262 on: October 24, 2016, 12:07:05 AM »
If this gen continues in this way like this year it will have made up for the absolute boredom that was last generation. What a terrible generation outside of a few games. Thankfully ds and psp were a thing.  Keep it going!
:doge :doge :doge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #263 on: October 24, 2016, 04:06:31 AM »
Yeah, no. I think SwitchPC might be the way this gen, esp. if Fatlus finally starts letting shit on PC.
Hi

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #264 on: October 24, 2016, 09:43:06 AM »
My main worries are the battery life and how (if) they will handle the Virtual Console. Will we FINALLY have games tied to accounts and not consoles? Will we get that 'netflix of oldskool games' that everyone wants so bad? Will the release schedule be more like the bountiful Wii or the pitiful WiiU/3DS?
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #265 on: October 24, 2016, 10:05:04 AM »
Yes, you will soon be able to purchase NES classics from Mario Bros. to Super Mario Bros. to play exclusively and only on Switch. These titles will be available both in dock and on the go once downloaded!

Thank you for all your interest in Nintendo!

Please note: We will be discontinuing access to earlier Virtual Console services upon release of Switch. All your purchases will remain playable as long as you never delete them from your platform.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #266 on: October 24, 2016, 11:37:08 AM »
They are becoming much more common.  I have quite a few >32gb games installed on my hard drive right now:

DOOM (65gb)
GTA V (69gb)
XCOM 2 (37gb)
WWE 2K16 (45gb)
Forza Horizon 3 (49gb)
Gears of War 4 (74gb)
Witcher 3 (49gb)

It's amazing that Witcher 3 is 49gb.

It really shows how lazy those other devs are. :doge
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #267 on: October 24, 2016, 11:57:30 AM »
My main worries are the battery life and how (if) they will handle the Virtual Console. Will we FINALLY have games tied to accounts and not consoles? Will we get that 'netflix of oldskool games' that everyone wants so bad? Will the release schedule be more like the bountiful Wii or the pitiful WiiU/3DS?

Seriously... how many of you play for more than 3 hours on the go? If I do any "mobile gaming" I do it lying in my bed, like God intended.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #268 on: October 24, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »
I just though of something that would be So Nintendo: what if this stupid fucking thing can only charge in the cradle? Like, you would have to bring the cradle on trips to play it as a mobile device.

(Probably not, but you have to admit- So Nintendo. Please Understand.)
yar

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #269 on: October 24, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
That's if they even include any charger at all, isn't that their new thing to no have chargers in the box anymore?

Tasty

« Reply #270 on: October 24, 2016, 12:48:04 PM »
That's if they even include any charger at all, isn't that their new thing to no have chargers in the box anymore?

Only outside America. :american

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #271 on: October 24, 2016, 01:46:08 PM »
I just though of something that would be So Nintendo: what if this stupid fucking thing can only charge in the cradle? Like, you would have to bring the cradle on trips to play it as a mobile device.

(Probably not, but you have to admit- So Nintendo. Please Understand.)

Nah, not even they're that stupid. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #272 on: October 24, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-24-behind-the-scenes-of-nintendos-switch-reveal-video

Eurogamer contacted Nintendo regarding the trailer's production and asked how it was all put together.

"This video is all about explaining how the Nintendo Switch works," a UK spokesperson said. "We wanted to convey in a self-contained video how Nintendo Switch represents a new era for video game systems enjoyed in front of a TV, by letting gamers play anywhere, anytime, with anyone they choose. It adds the mobility of a portable system to the power of a home gaming system.

"At a later date, before the March launch, we'll be talking about things like exact launch date, and of course, the games. You shouldn't assume what you saw on the video represents actual game footage and further specifics on first-party games will be provided later."

LOL.  Could be good or bad.
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2016, 02:19:57 PM »
This is a red flag though,  if 6 months before launch you won't talk games to me it seems like "shit we don't know what will be finished/passable, lets wait and see"

Tasty

« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2016, 03:05:02 PM »
Meh, this speculation is pretty dumb at this point. People thought Nintendo was going tits up when they hadn't shown any NX shit until last week. "Surely it's going to be delayed and/or is turning into a trainwreck!"

Then last week, bam. Still March 2017.

I can't say for certain they're executing a smart strategy but it's clear they have a tight reign over the information flow.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #275 on: October 24, 2016, 03:18:59 PM »
Meh, this speculation is pretty dumb at this point. People thought Nintendo was going tits up when they hadn't shown any NX shit until last week. "Surely it's going to be delayed and/or is turning into a trainwreck!"

I can't say for certain they're executing a smart strategy but it's clear they have a tight reign over the information flow.

it doesnt look like a trainwreck?

Tasty

« Reply #276 on: October 24, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »

it doesnt look like a trainwreck?

As far as manufacturing and release schedule goes? Seems on track to me.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #277 on: October 24, 2016, 03:40:11 PM »
Because most consoles have 1 game confirmed for launch 5 months out, and haven't released any specs or details other than a 2 minute video.

:derp
yar

Raist

« Reply #278 on: October 24, 2016, 03:40:45 PM »

:lol

They're selling the same fucking "pro controler" with a fresh coat of paint for the third time. You really think they'll just allow you to redownload your VC titles for free?

Tasty

« Reply #279 on: October 24, 2016, 05:43:10 PM »
Because most consoles have 1 game confirmed for launch 5 months out, and haven't released any specs or details other than a 2 minute video.

:derp

:derp yourself. None of that says anything is wrong with the production/marketing schedule and from all accounts it seems to have been Nintendo's plan for the past two years.

Now like I said, whether that's a smart move has yet to be seen. But I don't see Nintendo's higher ups running around like chickens with their heads cut off just yet.

Himu

« Reply #280 on: October 24, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »
People bitching about Nintendo's marketing for a system people were salivating to see revealed is pretty cute especially given that the original reveal trailer is now at 17m views in less than a week, which while not fantastic is pretty great.

Say what you will about the system itself but its marketing isn't one of its issues
IYKYK

SantaC

« Reply #281 on: October 24, 2016, 06:10:30 PM »
People bitching about Nintendo's marketing for a system people were salivating to see revealed is pretty cute especially given that the original reveal trailer is now at 17m views in less than a week, which while not fantastic is pretty great.

Say what you will about the system itself but its marketing isn't one of its issues

Battlefield 1's reveal trailer is at 48 million views.

Tasty

« Reply #282 on: October 24, 2016, 06:22:02 PM »

Logan's trailer is at 11 million views, Q.E.D.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2016, 06:28:53 PM »
It still really feels like they're either going to end up delaying the Switch anyway or it's a total mess of a launch on March.
dog

Tasty

« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
Also, historically, this isn't too far off from Nintendo's M.O.

Until E3 2006, the only announced Wii games were:

- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (port announced November 2005)
- Red Steel (announced April 2006)
- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (announced May 2005)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (announced May 2005)

No gameplay videos from these were seen until May 2006, when a much larger launch, launch window, and first year library were announced. The Wii launched 5 months later.

We have less than what was shown that E3, but we have more than what was known before it. The Wii U and 3DS followed a similar reveal/release tempo. Switch is a little condensed but yeah, I see no evidence of a rushed or panicked launch. That said, I expect 100% of the Switch's first-party launch day lineup to be Wii U ports (with the Wii U version of Zelda coming later, Twilight Princess-style.)

Himu

« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2016, 07:42:02 PM »
Nintendo: we may or may not be working on a new system.
Gamer: NX! E3!
Nintendo: nah. We will reveal on our own time.
Gamer: DAMMIT NINTENDO I NEED DEETS ON DAT NX
Nintendo: we will reveal NX in a trailer.
Gamer: OMG not bad. Can't wait to see more!
Nintendo: we will not reveal anymore the rest of this year. Get hype.
Gamer: DAMMIT NINTENDO I NEED MORE DETAILS *RIGHT NOW* WHAT IS YOUR MARKETING DEPARTMENT THINKING?!

:dead

You mean the trailer revealed FIVE MONTHS ago?
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »
Nintendo: Oh no, our new console is selling like shit again. 4DS coming soon!
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #287 on: October 24, 2016, 07:52:39 PM »
That depends on whether or not the battery life rumor is true. If it's at least six hours it'll do fine.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2016, 07:54:02 PM »
Also I didn't think about it but the two halves of the JoyCon controller also have to have internal batteries as well. Wonder if they last as long as the actual system.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2016, 08:00:17 PM »
Ok, I mean I guess it's just me that finds ONE GAME concretely confirmed at launch 5 months out dubious. Sure. Nintendo has done SO MUCH to earn y'all's goodwill...
yar

Himu

« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
If the battery life is good and Nintendo really is replacing their ds line with the switch and this has Moneter Hunter on it, this thing will be great. But of course westerners equate as solely a console unit and forget about the handheld aspect - its main selling point in Japan, Nintendo's main target audience. Anyone who thinks Capcom is just going to stop making Ace Attorney games and Monster Hunter titles or Square Enix making RPGs on Nintendo handhelds they are sorely mistaken. I think most criticism towards Switch haven't been properly thought out.

Ok, I mean I guess it's just me that finds ONE GAME concretely confirmed at launch 5 months out dubious. Sure. Nintendo has done SO MUCH to earn y'all's goodwill...

It's a Nintendo handheld. That's all it needs to be. Also, two games: Mario and Zelda. I also missed out on Wii u because I'm not moron and could smell a stinker a mile away so I never bought one. So I'm looking forward to Wii U ports.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:39 PM »
Also I didn't think about it but the two halves of the JoyCon controller also have to have internal batteries as well. Wonder if they last as long as the actual system.
If they don't have rumble, they should last a pretty long time, especially if when you connect it to the tablet, it somehow becomes a physical connection rather than a wireless one. I'd have them draw off the tablet, it can't be much and if it dies you can't use them anyway until you plug that back in.

Tasty

« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »
Confirmed for reals:

- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Dragon Quest X
- Dragon Quest XI
- Just Dance 2017
- Sonic 2017

Confirmed by the trailer:

- Mario Kart 8
- Splatoon
- Super Mario (Galaxy-esque, not 3D World-esque)

Strongly likely:

- Super Smash Bros. 4
- Mario Maker

Not bad. For comparison, the first-party Wii launch games in the US:

- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- WiiSports
- Excite Truck

And the Wii U:

- Nintendo Land
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
- Sing Party

All the enhanced ports + Zelda would make a pretty solid launch, IMO of course.

Listen, Nintendo and all of us have played this game before. Let's dispel with this notion Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing, they know exactly what they're doing.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2016, 09:47:31 PM »
Listen, Nintendo and all of us have played this game before. Let's dispel with this notion Nintendo doesn't know what they're doing, they know exactly what they're doing.

:esports
OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2016, 11:07:34 PM »
Mario Maker is going to suck if you can't use touch while its docked.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2016, 11:32:50 PM »

- Mario Kart 8
- Splatoon

Skyrim was confirmed by the trailer too.  :teehee
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2016, 12:14:17 AM »

- Mario Kart 8
- Splatoon

Skyrim was confirmed by the trailer too.  :teehee

I'll believe it when I don't see it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2016, 02:12:31 AM »
It's nice to know that whatever happens, Nintendo has a good prospect at making ends meet as a Youtube channel.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 03:15:31 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »
I'm talking launch. The only game I'm confident the system will launch with is Zelda at this point. Maybe some ports, but nothing else new.

I think using a somewhat thick looking 7 inch tablet as a "handheld" is an experience that isn't going to equate to what you people think of as "handheld" gaming. Especially with suspect battery life and then adding on the controls on the side. Yeah...

Plus, is this thing running it's own OS? Is it gonna be easy to port shit to? Are the devs that are used to working for the less advanced 3DS gonna be able to shit out titles with the same regularity for this thing? These are questions that should be self-evident, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Basically: Fandrex, Brandnew, and QoI are all crazy for it, which is a shocker that two nintendrones and a handheld fan are excited. I, of course, think it's going to be an underpowered dumpster fire that tries to do a bunch of different things and sucks at all of them, because that's Nintendo's track record in the past decade. Gimmick it up.

We'll see. I'm confident I'm right.

:yeshrug
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
I'm talking launch. The only game I'm confident the system will launch with is Zelda at this point. Maybe some ports, but nothing else new.

I think using a somewhat thick looking 7 inch tablet as a "handheld" is an experience that isn't going to equate to what you people think of as "handheld" gaming. Especially with suspect battery life and then adding on the controls on the side. Yeah...

Plus, is this thing running it's own OS? Is it gonna be easy to port shit to? Are the devs that are used to working for the less advanced 3DS gonna be able to shit out titles with the same regularity for this thing? These are questions that should be self-evident, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here.

Basically: Fandrex, Brandnew, and QoI are all crazy for it, which is a shocker that two nintendrones and a handheld fan are excited. I, of course, think it's going to be an underpowered dumpster fire that tries to do a bunch of different things and sucks at all of them, because that's Nintendo's track record in the past decade. Gimmick it up.

We'll see. I'm confident I'm right.

:yeshrug

So are you buying one at launch or waiting for Fire Emblem first?  :doge
ど助平