Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933789 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #6300 on: September 08, 2019, 12:00:00 AM »
lol the first few pages of this thread are embarrassing
püp

Himu

« Reply #6301 on: September 08, 2019, 12:16:52 AM »

I always believed :rejoice

Get rekt “Nintendo is going to die” people. If you are over 30, and have lived through their multiple eras you’d have to be nuts to say that. They always bounce back. 8)
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #6302 on: September 08, 2019, 01:59:06 AM »

dufus said hillary was gonna win 50 states so

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #6303 on: September 08, 2019, 04:38:35 AM »
Beat Super Ghouls n Ghosts without throwing your Switch against the wall

Instead of getting angry, you should just take a key for coming in!

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6304 on: September 08, 2019, 05:51:29 AM »
Bork called it being the Vita 2, and I and several others declared it'd be $300. I say somewhere that 250 would be nice and that's about how much I got one for in a deal around E3 this year. :tophat
Hi

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6305 on: September 08, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
The Switch would've had a far different reception if it wasn't for Zelda BOTW which had close to a 1:1 attachment ratio in the early days of the system.

The lesson I finally learned with the Wii U and 3DS is that you never buy Nintendo hardware at launch.
With Switch I waited until Splatoon 2 was out so I had some more things to play and other stuff was rolling out fast afterwards.

The Wii U was literally 8 months of nothing after launch until they finally started rolling out launch window games like Pikmin 3.
If Nintendo had something like Splatoon or Mario Maker at Wii U launch and the Zelda HD game they teased, that console could've also worked out very differently.

In hindsight Nintendo should've cancelled it like Iwata originally planned.  :doge
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6306 on: September 08, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »
Bork called it being the Vita 2, and I and several others declared it'd be $300. I say somewhere that 250 would be nice and that's about how much I got one for in a deal around E3 this year. :tophat

...I still call it the Vita 2.0.  I mean that in a good way.  ;)

Looks pretty cool.  Way slicker than the Wii U.

But also looks visually like the Wii U, so I wonder what will happen with third party support.  Hoping that if anything, all the third parties making Vita games jump to this thing instead.

Got what I wanted
:rejoice

:bow Vita lives on :bow2
ど助平

Occam

« Reply #6307 on: September 08, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »
Yes, it's basically a less ergonomic, less portable Vita successor. While I bought mine in early 2018, I didn't really start using it until 2019, when many games that previously would have been released on Vita started appearing on Switch instead.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6308 on: September 08, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
Nintendo’s new management handled this much better than the Iwata era. Props to Nintendo for actually learning from their mistakes.
🍆🍆

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6309 on: September 08, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »

Get rekt “Nintendo is going to die” people. If you are over 30, and have lived through their multiple eras you’d have to be nuts to say that. They always bounce back. 8)

Naaaaaaaaah, quality wise Nintendo had actually been on a steady downwards trajectory forever as far as hardware and big picture choices. The Wii throws it off because it was dirt cheap and trendy so casuals bought the shit out of it to play wii bowling and tennis and shit, but other than the two Galaxy games there's not a lot of quality software on that thing, and history has born me out on this: waggle was a gimmick, and a shitty one at that.

The single best thing IMO Nintendo did was launch this with a kick ass Zelda game, and then a kick ass Mario game like 7 months later. Having those two games going into the first holiday season was smart AF. It helps that while obviously underpowered relative to the PS4 and Xbone, it's still *KINDA* powerful enough to play ports of games, and enough people are stupid enough to want to play shit on the go instead of on a couch like god intended that the portability is for whatever reason a selling point. (Seriously, you people are unclean)

The dirty secret is that other than BotW and Odyssey, there's not a lot of MUST HAVE games you can only get on Switch. It's you sick in the head portability people that are driving sales, plus assholes like Tasty and Brandnew who can only get erections or whatever when they give Nintendo money, so they overpay for shit they can get cheaper elsewhere because "lol it's on the Switch"

System is still worth it for BotW and Odyssey, or if you're a huge FE fan. Getting all the dregs from the WiiU years re-released is nice. I'm sure this is the point where people are going to come in and tell me that I'm discounting the appeal of Smash, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, and yes- I am. Because those games are all trash, and you are trash if you like them.
yar

Occam

« Reply #6310 on: September 08, 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
Having a portable system is invaluable for people who don't sit around at home all day. It's also amazing for travelling.
Switch is fantastic in that regard; I bought a small USB C to HDMI adapter to use in hotels so I don't need to take the bulky dock.
Looks like this: https://slickdeals.net/f/11653799-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter-for-samsung-dex-station-desktop-experience-for-galaxy-note8-s8-s8-s9-s9-nintendo-switch-macbook-pro-2016-2017-18-59-ac-free-prime-shipping

Himu

« Reply #6311 on: September 08, 2019, 02:42:38 PM »

Naaaaaaaaah, quality wise Nintendo had actually been on a steady downwards trajectory forever as far as hardware and big picture choices. The Wii throws it off because it was dirt cheap and trendy so casuals bought the shit out of it to play wii bowling and tennis and shit, but other than the two Galaxy games there's not a lot of quality software on that thing, and history has born me out on this: waggle was a gimmick, and a shitty one at that.

The single best thing IMO Nintendo did was launch this with a kick ass Zelda game, and then a kick ass Mario game like 7 months later. Having those two games going into the first holiday season was smart AF. It helps that while obviously underpowered relative to the PS4 and Xbone, it's still *KINDA* powerful enough to play ports of games, and enough people are stupid enough to want to play shit on the go instead of on a couch like god intended that the portability is for whatever reason a selling point. (Seriously, you people are unclean)

The dirty secret is that other than BotW and Odyssey, there's not a lot of MUST HAVE games you can only get on Switch. It's you sick in the head portability people that are driving sales, plus assholes like Tasty and Brandnew who can only get erections or whatever when they give Nintendo money, so they overpay for shit they can get cheaper elsewhere because "lol it's on the Switch"

System is still worth it for BotW and Odyssey, or if you're a huge FE fan. Getting all the dregs from the WiiU years re-released is nice. I'm sure this is the point where people are going to come in and tell me that I'm discounting the appeal of Smash, Pokemon, and Animal Crossing, and yes- I am. Because those games are all trash, and you are trash if you like them.

Your bias is showing. You only mention consoles.

Nintendo DS and 3DS were fantastic systems but you wouldn't know because you don't like handhelds. I didn't even mention Wii once in my post but you naturally assumed I was talking about consoles because that's your bias.

I've heard "nintendo is going to die" on at least three separate occasions.

Nintendo reveals DS: Nintendo is going to die, PSP is going to kill it. What is this dual screen thing?

What actually happens: sells 150 million units

Nintendo reveals Wii: Nintendo is going to die, 360 and PS3 make it irrelevant.

What actually happens: Sells 100 million units.

Nintendo reveals Switch: Nintendo is going to die, this is just another Wii U

What actually happens: sells a shit load.

You have a massive blind spot when talking about Nintendo. Anyone who thought a Nintendo handheld was doomed for failure is living in a console bubble. Sad to say. That is also why you thought Switch was doomed to fail: you compared them to Xbone and PS4 when Nintendo was merging their libraries. Wii U did not have an Animal Crossing. Wii U also did not have a flagship Pokemon title. FYI, Pokemon Sun and Moon for 3ds sold 16 million copies. That's at least 16 million guaranteed sales for Switch.

The current library is pretty standard stuff as far as a Nintendo handheld goes. It's not really surprising for anyone who has been paying attention.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6312 on: September 08, 2019, 02:43:33 PM »

can it run normal android?

if you cant surf, netflix, youtube its worthless

You can do this on Wii U so of course you'd be able to on this

:mike
©@©™

Chooky

« Reply #6313 on: September 08, 2019, 03:01:25 PM »
I still don't understand why there aren't more streaming apps. is it something on nintendos end?

Occam

« Reply #6314 on: September 08, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
The lack of features is pretty staggering.
I read that if you install Android, Switch performs like a good modern tablet except for issues caused by the read/write speed of the microSD. Android games supposedly run very well.

Here's a video showing the very first release, I presume it has been improved since:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:18:02 PM by Occam »

Himu

« Reply #6315 on: September 08, 2019, 03:17:33 PM »
What's more mind boggling was, beyond the vale of "Nintendo is dying!" there was so much fuel wishing *for* Nintendo to die. Basically, fuck gamers.

I still don't understand why there aren't more streaming apps. is it something on nintendos end?

:yeshrug

Even 3DS has Netflix. No idea.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6316 on: September 08, 2019, 03:59:52 PM »
First Zelda I played was the OG NES one. Y'all are a bunch of noobs  :ufup

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6317 on: September 08, 2019, 04:57:36 PM »
Why the hell would you play Android garbage when you can play Nintendo games?  ???

It's like going to a 5 star restaurant with your McDonalds order lmao
🤴

« Reply #6318 on: September 08, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »
Divinity with cross save support is pretty nifty. I mean, I’d rather play it in my pc where it’s not running at sub 720p, but the option to play on the switch a little before going to bed is much appreciated.

Himu

« Reply #6319 on: September 08, 2019, 05:05:12 PM »
Divinity is on Switch? Switch version it is.

How is it with controller?
IYKYK

« Reply #6320 on: September 08, 2019, 05:09:57 PM »
You can tell that it wasn’t designed with a controller in mind but it works well enough. They’ve taken enough cracks at it that they’ve figured it out about as good as it’s going to get for a top down CRPG.

Himu

« Reply #6321 on: September 08, 2019, 05:15:07 PM »
No touch controls? It’d be fine with a stylus.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6322 on: September 08, 2019, 05:27:45 PM »
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #6323 on: September 08, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »
Imagine fighting over the Switch library while I play Plumbers don‘t wear ties on my 3DO and fondle myself. :smug

Bebpo

« Reply #6324 on: September 08, 2019, 07:22:33 PM »
So I've never heard of this Demon's Crest thing and so I'm trying it and wtf world map exploration out of nowhere?? Is this game good?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6325 on: September 08, 2019, 07:24:20 PM »
So I've never heard of this Demon's Crest thing and so I'm trying it and wtf world map exploration out of nowhere?? Is this game good?

My exact reaction

Chooky

« Reply #6326 on: September 08, 2019, 08:09:41 PM »
red arremer had a whole trilogy. they're pretty fun games. the original on gb was structured like an rpg, but with side scroller levels instead of dungeons. never played the nes one and i've heard very little about it but it looked cool. the last one is pretty cool altho it's extremely hard in parts. as far as i know they all bombed. demon's crest came out really late in the snes's life, iirc around the same time as donkey kong country, and faded into oblivion. er wait... i think it did get a rerelease on wii.

Chooky

« Reply #6327 on: September 08, 2019, 08:10:27 PM »
also this song rules

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #6328 on: September 08, 2019, 08:14:01 PM »

Your bias is showing. You only mention consoles.

Nintendo DS and 3DS were fantastic systems but you wouldn't know because you don't like handhelds. I didn't even mention Wii once in my post but you naturally assumed I was talking about consoles because that's your bias.

I've heard "nintendo is going to die" on at least three separate occasions.

Nintendo reveals DS: Nintendo is going to die, PSP is going to kill it. What is this dual screen thing?

What actually happens: sells 150 million units

Nintendo reveals Wii: Nintendo is going to die, 360 and PS3 make it irrelevant.

What actually happens: Sells 100 million units.

Nintendo reveals Switch: Nintendo is going to die, this is just another Wii U

What actually happens: sells a shit load.

You have a massive blind spot when talking about Nintendo. Anyone who thought a Nintendo handheld was doomed for failure is living in a console bubble. Sad to say. That is also why you thought Switch was doomed to fail: you compared them to Xbone and PS4 when Nintendo was merging their libraries. Wii U did not have an Animal Crossing. Wii U also did not have a flagship Pokemon title. FYI, Pokemon Sun and Moon for 3ds sold 16 million copies. That's at least 16 million guaranteed sales for Switch.

The current library is pretty standard stuff as far as a Nintendo handheld goes. It's not really surprising for anyone who has been paying attention.

This generation is proving a lot of people wrong. 5 years ago it seemed like the writing was on the wall that mobile gaming was going to kill off console gaming. In 2019, console gaming is the strongest its been for at least a decade. It’s pointless to speculate how things are going to go - we’re all going to get it wrong anyways. Might as well just play what’s fun and leave it at that.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #6329 on: September 08, 2019, 08:35:21 PM »
Yeah we did think console gaming was in the grave. Turns out last gen was just THAT BAD.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6330 on: September 08, 2019, 08:39:20 PM »
last gen was so bad people were somehow convinced that last of us was a worthwhile game :lol

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #6331 on: September 08, 2019, 08:44:06 PM »
last gen was so bad people were somehow convinced that last of us was a worthwhile game :lol

gens where white people games dominate are bound to suck

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6332 on: September 08, 2019, 08:47:55 PM »

Damn man I didn’t fuck your mom or anything
püp

« Reply #6333 on: September 08, 2019, 08:59:31 PM »
No touch controls? It’d be fine with a stylus.

No touch screen controls. Like I said though it’s surprisingly well handled. I sometimes use the controller option on PC if I’m playing on the TV. But if I’m sitting at my desk I’m sticking to keyboard and mouse. 

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6334 on: September 08, 2019, 09:10:25 PM »

Damn man I didn’t fuck your mom or anything

YOU SURE BREH
yar

Himu

« Reply #6335 on: September 08, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »

:lol
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6336 on: September 08, 2019, 09:58:51 PM »
Having a portable system is invaluable for people who don't sit around at home all day. It's also amazing for travelling.
Switch is fantastic in that regard; I bought a small USB C to HDMI adapter to use in hotels so I don't need to take the bulky dock.
Looks like this: https://slickdeals.net/f/11653799-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter-for-samsung-dex-station-desktop-experience-for-galaxy-note8-s8-s8-s9-s9-nintendo-switch-macbook-pro-2016-2017-18-59-ac-free-prime-shipping

Hope it's not that particular model, based on the comments.
:yikes

Haven't kept up with things, but last time I checked, it was still recommended to avoid all docks not made by Nintendo.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6337 on: September 08, 2019, 10:33:00 PM »
Um it was....

Last gen was hardly terrible. Terrible if you like Nintendo I guess...

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6338 on: September 08, 2019, 10:39:31 PM »
last gen was fine (it lasted like 50 years so of course there will be good and bad) but devs deciding to pursue cinematic garbage in games was certainly a detriment, aka most of sony 1st party was complete shit. don't @ me about how much you enjoyed uncharted or last of us or whatever trash cause i don't care about your terrible taste.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6339 on: September 08, 2019, 10:45:07 PM »
also last gen gave us the best street fighter, red dead redemption, tokyo jungle, and the best final fantasy so it's not all bad

and the best metal gears :thinking i guess it wasn't so bad after all

and dq9 ok i'm reversing course here
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 10:51:11 PM by nachobro »

Occam

« Reply #6340 on: September 08, 2019, 10:57:02 PM »

Hope it's not that particular model, based on the comments.
:yikes

Haven't kept up with things, but last time I checked, it was still recommended to avoid all docks not made by Nintendo.

No, it's not that exact same model, but looks similar (I just used image search). Since you use Nintendo's PSU, it shouldn't be able to damage the system. The infamous Nyko dock that killed the USB-C port had its own power supply. Additionally, from what I read there was something wrong with Switch firmware 5.0.0 that made non-Nintendo docks not work; it seems to have been fixed in later firmwares.
I got it only recently and haven't used it for more than a few hours, so no idea about its longevity.

Edit:
This should be a completely safe solution because it's just a case:
https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Portable-Nintendo-Replacement-original/dp/B071YVC3NJ/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:01:31 AM by Occam »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6341 on: September 08, 2019, 11:11:15 PM »
I've been using this third-party dock [for TV playing in a different room from what I keep the official dock] for a couple of months now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PY85MJC

The dock can be a little finicky, but it's worked alright so far and I haven't had any problems with the Switch.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6342 on: September 08, 2019, 11:17:03 PM »
I've been using this third-party dock [for TV playing in a different room from what I keep the official dock] for a couple of months now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PY85MJC

The dock can be a little finicky, but it's worked alright so far and I haven't had any problems with the Switch.

I see at least one review from last month saying it bricked their Switch.  Stuff like that is enough to keep me away.

The DIY replacement that Occam posted seems safer.
ど助平

Occam

« Reply #6343 on: September 09, 2019, 12:04:34 AM »
Found a shell that's probably better (you retain the LED and spring loading mechanism): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0759CH5Q3/

These shells may actually be better than the original dock by Nintendo because they allow for better ventilation. People are saying their Switch remains much cooler when using one of them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:08:55 AM by Occam »

Himu

« Reply #6344 on: September 09, 2019, 12:29:15 AM »
last gen was fine (it lasted like 50 years so of course there will be good and bad) but devs deciding to pursue cinematic garbage in games was certainly a detriment, aka most of sony 1st party was complete shit. don't @ me about how much you enjoyed uncharted or last of us or whatever trash cause i don't care about your terrible taste.

Fighting games and re-releases of classics were the best part of last gen imo

Gen started great the  went down the toilet
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #6345 on: September 09, 2019, 12:58:55 AM »
Anyone have a screen protector? Not sure if I should get one. I'm paranoid, but careful with my things.

Occam

« Reply #6346 on: September 09, 2019, 01:31:20 AM »
Yes, a tempered glass screen protector. Feels great, much better than the actual screen. Switch has a relatively soft plastic screen and it can even get scratched by the dock. If you don't use a protector, you are going to get micro scratches (or worse) sooner or later.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #6347 on: September 09, 2019, 02:59:20 AM »
I heard that if you sneeze on the Switch screen, the system becomes contaminated and the screen WILL fall off after six months.

Stay safe, stay clean.
OH!

Occam

« Reply #6348 on: September 09, 2019, 03:30:28 AM »
There are two kinds of Switch owners. Those with screen protectors and those who don't mind scratches.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6349 on: September 09, 2019, 06:46:22 AM »
If you even think about putting the Switch in the dock it's guaranteed to at least scratch up the back of it, and probably the front.
itm

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6350 on: September 09, 2019, 07:09:00 AM »
I really hope we get that Ninja-kun compilation in the states... and while we're at it, gimme some Super Chinese...
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6351 on: September 09, 2019, 07:37:55 AM »
Anyone have a screen protector? Not sure if I should get one. I'm paranoid, but careful with my things.

Ya ur paranoid
fat

kingv

« Reply #6352 on: September 09, 2019, 08:42:57 AM »
I just have one of the plastic screen protectors. It seems to work.

I have a tempered glass protector on my phone, and now my screen protector is scratched and I’m not sure how to get it off 🤷‍♂️

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #6353 on: September 09, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
Yes, a tempered glass screen protector. Feels great, much better than the actual screen. Switch has a relatively soft plastic screen and it can even get scratched by the dock. If you don't use a protector, you are going to get micro scratches (or worse) sooner or later.

Oh yeah, the first thing I did was the mod where you put little felt pads on the inside of the dock. Hell of a design oversight.

How did you manage to install the screen protector without getting air bubbles? The bane of my existence.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6354 on: September 09, 2019, 11:26:54 AM »
paranoid as well, I got an amfilm protector on mine. tbh it's not scratched or anything.  :doge

Oh yeah, the first thing I did was the mod where you put little felt pads on the inside of the dock. Hell of a design oversight.

How did you manage to install the screen protector without getting air bubbles? The bane of my existence.

I think with the pads you're probably fine.

RE: bubbles i don't think glass ones give as much issue with this as thicker plastic but it's not something I do a lot of? use a credit card lol

Himu

« Reply #6355 on: September 09, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »
Post good screen protector plz
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6356 on: September 09, 2019, 11:49:46 AM »
Also got Castlevania collection. Dracula III on the go, baby.

About time Konami gave the superior Castlevania (classic CV) some love. Only thing missing is Rebirth. And Rondo I guess.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:07:04 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #6359 on: September 09, 2019, 01:03:12 PM »
Why you should use a screen protector: