Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933972 times)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #6600 on: September 16, 2019, 12:55:46 PM »
Are those early games playable or are they kinda jacked in that early Famicom way

Himu

« Reply #6601 on: September 16, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
Are those early games playable or are they kinda jacked in that early Famicom way

DQ remakes are always great.

DQ1 has been good since SFC version. These are very much fine. Of course, DQIII FC is fine but it's been 30 years since then. If you want a sample try DQ1-III  mobile versions which are on iphone/android as these are based on those.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6602 on: September 16, 2019, 01:08:10 PM »
They're much more accessible (gold/xp), but they're pretty much the same game.
fat

Himu

« Reply #6603 on: September 16, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »
They're much more accessible (gold/xp), but they're pretty much the same game.

Also uses current interface so you don't have to click chest to open a chest or hit stairs to go down stairs.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #6604 on: September 16, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
I've never played those, so this is pretty cool and accessible.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6605 on: September 16, 2019, 03:52:29 PM »
Definitely gonna have to get DQ1 for nostalgia's sake.
dog

Chooky

« Reply #6606 on: September 16, 2019, 04:51:31 PM »
I've never played those

i was not prepared for this shocking revelation

Bebpo

« Reply #6607 on: September 16, 2019, 06:29:20 PM »
So I didn't see the bit about how these are the ugliest mobile-ish remakes out there (the monsters are wowwwww). Kinda sucks that the choice is either play a really shitty looking version in English or none at all for most people.

I'm tempted to play the SNES JP remake of III instead now, but the portability of switch is nice.

I've never played those

i was not prepared for this shocking revelation

lol, I started DQ on PS2 with 8 and 5r and worked backwards with the 4/5/6/7 DS/3DS remakes. I was a late DQ bloomer.

Himu

« Reply #6608 on: September 16, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
That’s not mobile-ish. That IS the mobile version ported. FYI It actually looks better on Switch. The mobile versions have lower res for some reason and things look squashed. Except IV-VI which are ports of the ds remake. The switch version has bigger details.

8 was my first DQ and I’ve played 1-3. I played SFC and GBC versions over 10 years ago. I guess it makes sense though as it’s the first time those have been released on consoles in English since the NES.

With 1-3 you have a few options:

1. NES - don’t recommend NES for DQ1 but 2-4 are great on it.

2. SFC - my favorite pick. I and II come bundled and III is stand alone.

3. GBC - fantastic remake for portable systems. Takes the features added to the SFC remakes and just blows it open. Once again I + II is a bundle and III is a stand alone.

4. Mobile, which is great but not SFC great.

5. Switch.

Honestly all are highly recommended. My favorite being III which imo is a must play jrpg classic. It has gone to influence numerous strategy rpgs, Final Fantas;etc.

TLDR: Dragon Quest fucking owns.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6609 on: September 16, 2019, 07:58:30 PM »
If the graphics matter that much just play the SFC version.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6610 on: September 16, 2019, 08:50:15 PM »
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6611 on: September 16, 2019, 09:37:46 PM »
Preordered the Asian physical release, but it's cool this is getting an official US release. I'm really hoping SE makes physicals for some of these releases (like RS3, Oninaki, etc).
^_^

Chooky

« Reply #6612 on: September 16, 2019, 09:49:24 PM »
the mobile port of 3 was also missing the intro for some stupid reason. hope they bring that back for this version.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6613 on: September 16, 2019, 09:54:44 PM »
Preordered the Asian physical release, but it's cool this is getting an official US release. I'm really hoping SE makes physicals for some of these releases (like RS3, Oninaki, etc).

They won't- Glad we have the option for Japanese or Asian physical releases.
:rejoice
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6614 on: September 16, 2019, 10:22:36 PM »
Well they did for Oninaki. Just had to pre-order from thier store.

And yeah for a lot of them you still have the Asian release which I was going to get for Oninaki if only because of the cover art. Too bad the game supposedly sucks. I don't have time for mediocre jrpgs.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6615 on: September 16, 2019, 10:29:39 PM »

And yeah for a lot of them you still have the Asian release which I was going to get for Oninaki if only because of the cover art. Too bad the game supposedly sucks. I don't have time for mediocre jrpgs.

No, Oninaki only got Japanese and Asian releases.  Ditto for I Am Setsuna- Lost Sphear was the lone Tokyo RPG Factory game that got an American physical release.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6616 on: September 16, 2019, 10:32:48 PM »
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6617 on: September 16, 2019, 10:41:36 PM »

No, Oninaki only got Japanese and Asian releases.  Ditto for I Am Setsuna- Lost Sphear was the lone Tokyo RPG Factory game that got an American physical release.
https://store.eu.square-enix-games.com/en_EU/product/566273/oninaki-ps4

I guess oninaki was only in Euro land, but they did have limited physical editions from the Square Enix store.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6618 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:16 PM »
Oh, YUROP.  I forgot.
 :notlikethis

But that's still not Squenix 'Murica.  We don't get shit over here.  :-\
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6619 on: September 16, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6620 on: September 16, 2019, 11:17:53 PM »
FRIDAY

ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6621 on: September 16, 2019, 11:39:34 PM »
Can’t wait to steal shit and bomb arrow hoes

Himu

« Reply #6622 on: September 16, 2019, 11:48:48 PM »
Onikaki?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6623 on: September 17, 2019, 12:04:25 AM »
Onikaki?

There's a playable demo.  It's...OK?  I guess.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6624 on: September 17, 2019, 01:16:29 AM »
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #6625 on: September 17, 2019, 03:13:15 AM »
Not sure why anyone would want these controllers in this day and age. Yes, the face buttons and d-pad are nice, but they are not ergonomic. Nostalgia?

Himu

« Reply #6626 on: September 17, 2019, 03:26:19 AM »
Not sure why anyone would want these controllers in this day and age. Yes, the face buttons and d-pad are nice, but they are not ergonomic. Nostalgia?

Want a 2d controller and it’s official Nintendo.

They are not ergonomic how?
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #6627 on: September 17, 2019, 03:33:52 AM »
I mean ergonomic as in, comfortable to hold for a long time. Unlike modern controllers. Sure, SNES isn't as bad as the brick-like sparp-edged shape of the western NES controller, but it's nothing like a Pro Controller or Dualshock 4. If used for extended periods, flat retro controllers make your hands cramp and hurt your thumbs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:38:17 AM by Occam »

Himu

« Reply #6628 on: September 17, 2019, 04:13:20 AM »
I don’t have that problem. Never have. And snes is a better 2d controller any of those.

Personally Saturn pad is the best 2d controller ever made but it’s not available on Switch so I’m settling for 2nd or 3rd best.

I just want a 2d controller and prefer snes pad for Mario. The indentions on Y/X makes it feel so smooth as you hold it down to run constantly in Mario.

Sounds to me like you have big hands. Snes pad has never made my hands hurt. I have small girl hands. :idont
IYKYK

Occam

« Reply #6629 on: September 17, 2019, 04:23:17 AM »
No, my hands aren't very big. A cup-like shape just feels more like a relaxed hand and more natural than a flat brick.
The Saturn controller is my favorite 2D controller, it has the perfect thickness not to cause cramps or thumb joint pain even when used for many hours.

Fifstar

« Reply #6630 on: September 17, 2019, 05:04:02 AM »
Never had cramps with the snes pad. I haven't used the saturn pad but for me the snes pad is among the best and most comfortable pads. I have small hands like Cindy though.

It doesn't have the melt in your hands quality that the newer pads have but it's so light that it doesn't really matter. Like using it one handed when you're only walking around in rpgs, that's not really comfortale with the newer pads.
Gulp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6631 on: September 17, 2019, 07:47:55 AM »
Would go with 8Bitdo.  Get a SNES style pad with double-triggers and analog sticks so it works with everything and a Genesis-style pad and you're set.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6632 on: September 17, 2019, 08:51:18 AM »
8bitdo makes solid controllers, really like the feel of them and they have rumble/motion too if needed in a game. only downside is the analog placement if you plan to use them for non-snes/nes games. i prefer offset sticks if i have the option.

i also like the pro controller after the revision but that's a lot more expensive.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6633 on: September 17, 2019, 09:21:24 AM »
8bitdo makes solid controllers, really like the feel of them and they have rumble/motion too if needed in a game. only downside is the analog placement if you plan to use them for non-snes/nes games. i prefer offset sticks if i have the option.

i also like the pro controller after the revision but that's a lot more expensive.

I like them because they make quality stuff for a cheaper price.  Plus, options- You can get like three different variations of the SNES pad, including one without analog sticks if that's your preference.

I know it's blasphemy, but I'd just get their Genesis-style pad and use that for everything old school.  It's so comfortable and the d-pad is amazing.  Plus it has shoulder buttons if needed.  Although it doesn't have select, so not sure if that would cause problems with some SNES games.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6634 on: September 17, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
I hear their dpads wear out. I also read they have numerous issues with receivers. I trust nintendo with better make and honestly have no use for a 3d pad for now. I want something light without sticks. A true 2d pad. Since they are sold out I will use amazon credit to try an 8bitdo but when it’s back in stock I will going nintendo.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6635 on: September 17, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
They're fine.  You also may be confusing the Switch-compatible pads with the retro-pads-- no receivers are needed to use these versions on Switch.  You just pair them like regular controllers. 

The newest pad also allows for button re-mapping on the controller itself.  Pretty cool since that means you could play NES games on Switch with Y and B instead of being forced to used A and B.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6636 on: September 17, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
Dude.

Whoever said BOTW doesn’t have dungeons or puzzles is a liar. Despite the fact it’s small, the lizard dungeon is a total head scratcher at points. The amount of negative hyperbole surrounding this game is hilarious. I know for a fact you didn’t complete that dungeon without at least some disorientation.

Zelda tards are spergs and I say this as a Zelda tard.

BOTW is a top 3 Zelda game on par with LTTP and OoT.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #6637 on: September 17, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
Dude.

Whoever said BOTW doesn’t have dungeons or puzzles is a liar. Despite the fact it’s small, the lizard dungeon is a total head scratcher at points. The amount of negative hyperbole surrounding this game is hilarious. I know for a fact you didn’t complete that dungeon without at least some disorientation.
I don't think anyone's ever said there's no puzzles... Every "dungeon/shrine" in BOTW looks the same.  The only variety is in the physics based puzzles, not the aesthetic designs at all.   Don't get me wrong, they're fun, and sometimes pretty challenging... especially the divine beasts... But once you're 80-90 shrines deep, they all start to look monotone and boring (and the same fucking music  :doge)    Personally, I miss the traditional, elemental based dungeons with it's own unique style and boss that you can tell truly belongs there...all with accompanying, unique tunes.  I'm pretty hopeful that the sequel will combine these differences and make something truly outstanding. 
BOTW is a top 3 Zelda game on par with LTTP and OoT.
I agree.  I know I'm more of the nitpick crowd for BOTW, but after playing it, you see what they can do to make it even better... as to why Aonuma even said he sees many ways on how to improve it (thus, an actual sequel).    It's actually a bit staggering that they even pulled this game off, even on the WiiU (version I played.. got one just for BOTW).  The game's a huge achievement for the series.  I can't wait to see what more they can do and I'll be actually excited to get a Switch for it when it releases, if I haven't gotten one already by then.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6638 on: September 17, 2019, 02:04:18 PM »
FRIDAY

today  8)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
performance is bad. better be a patch. also god why is the text so slow to appear on screen.
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6639 on: September 17, 2019, 02:25:32 PM »
FRIDAY

today  8)

(Image removed from quote.)

:gladbron

performance is bad. better be a patch. also god why is the text so slow to appear on screen.
[close]

:noooo
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6640 on: September 17, 2019, 02:45:22 PM »
[close]

Thanks for beta testing it, chump. 8)
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6641 on: September 17, 2019, 02:53:36 PM »
:heyman
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6642 on: September 17, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
My uncle works at Nintendo. Already playing with next year's dlc and updates

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6643 on: September 17, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »
 :miyamoto

Svejk

« Reply #6644 on: September 17, 2019, 05:00:39 PM »
So even with next year's updates it still runs like ass?  :doge

Tuckers Law

« Reply #6645 on: September 17, 2019, 05:17:22 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6646 on: September 18, 2019, 08:25:24 AM »

Almost Vita-sized.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6647 on: September 18, 2019, 08:38:12 AM »
related to an earlier conversation, the 8bitdo snes pad will be on lightning sale today

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1174298585464299520

Svejk

« Reply #6648 on: September 18, 2019, 08:38:44 AM »
Only took Nintendo 8 years to get there.  ;)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6649 on: September 18, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
Only took Nintendo 8 years to get there.  ;)

Now if they get messaging enabled, they'll be on PS3 levels of network features...almost!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6650 on: September 18, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
related to an earlier conversation, the 8bitdo snes pad will be on lightning sale today

Unless it's a big discount, I'd just pay a few more bucks for the newer Sn30 Pro+ model instead.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6651 on: September 18, 2019, 11:06:13 AM »
$7 discount, brings it to $37. Kinda meh.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #6652 on: September 18, 2019, 02:55:55 PM »
cant decide if i should play ni no kuni on pc or switch.

maybe both  :brain

Himu

« Reply #6653 on: September 18, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
Damn. This game might pass Ocarina. :tocry
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #6654 on: September 18, 2019, 06:16:46 PM »
Apparently people hated Eventide? What. Why??
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #6655 on: September 18, 2019, 06:21:09 PM »

I don't know if they've made it better but my 8bitdo snes pad I used for snes classic had a hard d-pad that gave me problems playing Yoshi's Island compared to the soft d-pad on the official controllers. Like sometimes my down presses wouldn't come out. First time using an 8bitdo controller but it's made me kinda hesitant on purchasing more controllers from them in the future.

Himu

« Reply #6656 on: September 18, 2019, 06:32:17 PM »
Yeah I hear the dpad isn’t great which is why I want a 2d controller to begin with. Waiting for Nintendo to restock
IYKYK

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #6657 on: September 18, 2019, 07:52:34 PM »
Damn that thing is straight up adorable. Are back and forth cloud saves even remotely functional on this thing

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6658 on: September 18, 2019, 08:30:45 PM »
Damn that thing is straight up adorable. Are back and forth cloud saves even remotely functional on this thing

Yes...sort of.  It's a hassle according to this guy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/d4v894/with_the_switch_lite_coming_out_can_we_have_a/

My experience in owning 2 switch's: it's a pain in the ass to play games on the road if they don't support cloud saves. You'll have to transfer your save games through the transfer service each time you'd leave your house with your other Switch. And vice versa when you'd get back. This is not user friendly and such a time waste. And after this process, the OG save file gets deleted from that switch, so if anything goes wrong, you'll probably lose your savegame in the process.

And then the hustle around the primary & secondary console... I understand why, but this can be done in such a smoother experience for the gamer/user. You would leave your OG switch at home as it is your main console and the other one is meant to take it on the road with you. So the one for on the road is your primary console so you could play your games anywhere. Now this means your OG Switch is the secondary console. This means if you have multiple accounts on your OG switch, you'll be only able to play the games you've bought on that account. Unless you make that switch your primary one. (My sister plays on my switch as well as some friends, each have their own account but now they can't play the games anymore that I had bought. This is the same if your whole family is using your switch and have their own accounts)

In case of owning a Switch LITE: what if you want to have a good game session over at a friends house? You'll have to take your OG switch with you as you probably want to play it in docking mode. So you might want to set your OG switch as your primary again (cause you don't know weither the internet connection will be good enough at your friends house to check if your account can play your games)

It's doable but damn it's time consuming. I've been doing this for a month now with the OG switch and the revision switch and everytime I need to take my switch with me to trade Pokemon in let's go (a lot of my friends still play pokemongo) it's time consuming to transfer the savegames between my "mobile" switch and the one that stays at home.

Imo: Just stick to one Switch, OG or the revision, it's user friendly, it's already portable, you can dock it, no hustle with your save games and no bs with the primary console.

But hey, that's just my opinion!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6659 on: September 18, 2019, 08:32:04 PM »

I don't know if they've made it better but my 8bitdo snes pad I used for snes classic had a hard d-pad that gave me problems playing Yoshi's Island compared to the soft d-pad on the official controllers. Like sometimes my down presses wouldn't come out. First time using an 8bitdo controller but it's made me kinda hesitant on purchasing more controllers from them in the future.

Which model do you have?  The quality has improved greatly on newer ones.

Yeah I hear the dpad isn’t great which is why I want a 2d controller to begin with. Waiting for Nintendo to restock

The Genesis M30 d-pad is AMAZING. :drool
ど助平