Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 940643 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #6660 on: September 18, 2019, 08:34:38 PM »
cant decide if i should play ni no kuni on pc or switch.

maybe both  :brain

PC

https://twitter.com/StormYorha/status/1173782656439468033

:doge

There's some impressions saying it's good and some saying it's full of problems.  I canceled my pre-order for this one- will wait for people to get it and see if it gets patched.  Too many games out anyway lately.  Not gonna play this with Zelda out and DQXI the week after.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #6661 on: September 18, 2019, 08:45:52 PM »
related to an earlier conversation, the 8bitdo snes pad will be on lightning sale today

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1174298585464299520

I don't know if they've made it better but my 8bitdo snes pad I used for snes classic had a hard d-pad that gave me problems playing Yoshi's Island compared to the soft d-pad on the official controllers. Like sometimes my down presses wouldn't come out. First time using an 8bitdo controller but it's made me kinda hesitant on purchasing more controllers from them in the future.

Which model do you have?  The quality has improved greatly on newer ones.

The SF30 without analogs, model # is like 81A8. Only got it last year so I would be surprised if there are newer models. Comparing the d-pad or even the buttons between SF30 and the official SNES classic pads is night and day on both with the official nintendo ones being much better.

I actually play the Switch almost entirely in handheld and I'm fine with the joycon d-pad/buttons for the most part, so not interested in these ones for switch either way.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6662 on: September 18, 2019, 08:52:14 PM »
The SF30 without analogs, model # is like 81A8. Only got it last year so I would be surprised if there are newer models. Comparing the d-pad or even the buttons between SF30 and the official SNES classic pads is night and day on both with the official nintendo ones being much better.

That is an older one, yeah.  They have re-released it in newer colors but it's a couple of years old now IIRC.  I don't know if the d-pad has been improved but they generally get good ratings.  I still have one of their older ones and it's really bad in comparison to their recent controllers:

Don't ever get this model! :yuck

I actually play the Switch almost entirely in handheld and I'm fine with the joycon d-pad/buttons for the most part, so not interested in these ones for switch either way.

You want this:

:lawd

Unbelievably comfortable- makes the Switch lighter, too, because they don't feel as weighty with no runble.  Nintendo should make their own official "split" pro controller following this model.
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6663 on: September 18, 2019, 10:00:18 PM »
I was waiting to open mine.  :lol

Most impressions seem good.

Himu

« Reply #6664 on: September 19, 2019, 03:15:49 AM »
The default joycons are horrific for actual 2d gaming. 2d gaming is full of games where you have to hold one button the entire game and here Nintendo puts out these small buttons that dig into your fingers. I need that SNES controller now. :( might order one of those PowerA pro controllers for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Enhanced-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07N94JQS8/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=switch%2Bcontroller&qid=1568877259&sr=8-14&th=1&psc=1
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6665 on: September 19, 2019, 09:22:44 AM »
The default joycons are horrific for actual 2d gaming. 2d gaming is full of games where you have to hold one button the entire game and here Nintendo puts out these small buttons that dig into your fingers. I need that SNES controller now. :( might order one of those PowerA pro controllers for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Enhanced-Wireless-Controller-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07N94JQS8/ref=mp_s_a_1_14?keywords=switch%2Bcontroller&qid=1568877259&sr=8-14&th=1&psc=1

Don't buy that crap.  Try an 8bitdo or Hori brand pad- it's Amazon, so you can always just say it's defective if you don't like it and return it for a full refund.
:itagaki
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 09:35:09 AM by bork »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6666 on: September 19, 2019, 09:34:55 AM »
Hori doesn’t have wireless pro controller from what I’ve seen.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6667 on: September 19, 2019, 09:35:46 AM »
Hori doesn’t have wireless pro controller from what I’ve seen.

You can get the wireless 8Bitdo M30 Genesis-style pad for $30 and they have a wired version of the SNES pad (with analog sticks) for $24.  Doubt anything else remotely decent is available in that price range.

Maybe try one of the wireless controller adapters to use other system controllers on?  I don't know how well those work though.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6668 on: September 19, 2019, 09:36:40 AM »
Oh wow, the wired Hori pro controller is only $17.99?  Might have to pick that up.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6669 on: September 19, 2019, 09:44:00 AM »
I want a 3d controller and a 2d controller. They serve different functions. I’ll probably get the Official Pro and use that and pick up a lightweight 2d pad later. Used my SNES classic quite a bit before getting Switch and I love how light a 2d controller is. Perfect for 2d gaming.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6670 on: September 19, 2019, 10:04:45 AM »
The pro is good stuff, although the d-pad isn't the best.  Should be no problem for platformers but it's not that great for say, fighting games.  Apparently they improved the d-pad a bit on the Xenoblade version of it but that version is ridiculously expensive.  Unsure if the standard one got updated.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6671 on: September 19, 2019, 10:06:05 AM »
the standard pro got updated. any new pro bought now should have the fixed dpad.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6672 on: September 19, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »
Still seeing people reporting general d-pad issues here and there though.  :thinking
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #6673 on: September 19, 2019, 10:09:50 AM »
[
Maybe try one of the wireless controller adapters to use other system controllers on?  I don't know how well those work though.
It‘s great, managed to upload some fucked up Mario Maker levels with incredibly tight timing windows using an Xbox One controller. Don‘t see the need to buy a Switch Pro when I can just use the Xbox One/PS4 controller.

Occam

« Reply #6674 on: September 19, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »
I want a 3d controller and a 2d controller. They serve different functions. I’ll probably get the Official Pro and use that and pick up a lightweight 2d pad later. Used my SNES classic quite a bit before getting Switch and I love how light a 2d controller is. Perfect for 2d gaming.

Mayflash Magic-NS + Dualshock 4.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6675 on: September 19, 2019, 10:12:47 AM »
Still seeing people reporting general d-pad issues here and there though.  :thinking
i traded my launch pro in at gamestop for a newer one a couple months ago and it does feel better to me. maybe that's placebo but i'll take it.

Himu

« Reply #6676 on: September 19, 2019, 10:42:57 AM »

I might just do this.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6677 on: September 19, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »

I might just do this.

Only $19, too- worth a shot!
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6678 on: September 19, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #6679 on: September 19, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »
I am using the 8bitdo USB adapter FWIW, don't know about the Mayflash, but it shouldwork the same way.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6680 on: September 19, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
I am using the 8bitdo USB adapter FWIW, don't know about the Mayflash, but it shouldwork the same way.

I didn't even realize that 8bitdo made one for the Switch, too- I got one of these a few months ago for use on a Pi.   :lol  Need to check it out with the Switch!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6681 on: September 19, 2019, 10:58:22 AM »

Oh man, can't wait to play this...in two minutes!
:phil
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6682 on: September 19, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
Not playable yet
:rage

Nintendo Japan, what are you doing? :punch
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6683 on: September 19, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »
Now it works :hyper
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6684 on: September 19, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
Anime intro
:lawd
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6685 on: September 19, 2019, 11:05:37 AM »
Holy fuck, this is beautiful.  Tears of nostalgia joy brehs.
 :tocry
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6686 on: September 19, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
Even if it was just a "Noooo!" it's weird hearing Link talk.  :lol

So yeah, the performance issue- it's worse than how the Game Explain video makes it out to be.  Very jarring and can last for a few seconds.  I wish they just had the game run at 30 FPS if they couldn't get it to stay at 60 FPS.  It doesn't ruin the game at all, but it still sucks. 

I have already had it stutter from just going into the pause screen and going back to the game.  They really need to get this patched ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:05:04 PM by bork »
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6687 on: September 19, 2019, 12:08:39 PM »
Im not used to Nintendo shoving out half finished games out the door.. :/
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6688 on: September 19, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »
Im not used to Nintendo shoving out half finished games out the door.. :/

It's pretty surprising for a Zelda game.  Again, hasn't affected the game play at all so far, but...still.  Needs fixin'.
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #6689 on: September 19, 2019, 12:59:06 PM »
BOTW ran like crap on the WiiU and even on the Switch the framerate was kinda bad in some spots.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6690 on: September 19, 2019, 01:32:12 PM »
BOTW ran like crap on the WiiU and even on the Switch the framerate was kinda bad in some spots.

This is different though.  I guess because it's the traditional overhead-style Zelda.  It seems like more of a loading issue.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6691 on: September 19, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6692 on: September 19, 2019, 02:04:15 PM »

This is different though.  I guess because it's the traditional overhead-style Zelda.  It seems like more of a loading issue.
That is what Digital Foundry concludes.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6693 on: September 19, 2019, 02:10:41 PM »

I have BOTW on WiiU and yes it's fucking terrible. I am still playing the CEMU version instead, which runs like a dream and is gorgeous. Can't blame Nintendo, the WiiU had poor hardware and it's pretty amazing BOTW even runs this well.

But yeah this is a overhead type game I expect better.
What

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6694 on: September 19, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
this engine better be used for a direct sequel  ::)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6695 on: September 19, 2019, 02:38:54 PM »

that made my dick move just a lil

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6696 on: September 19, 2019, 04:15:04 PM »
Definitely feels like it's a test run for something with the mini level editor included.
Hi

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6697 on: September 19, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
 ;)

Svejk

« Reply #6698 on: September 19, 2019, 06:20:23 PM »
Zelda Maker confirmed
spoiler (click to show/hide)
::)
[close]

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6699 on: September 19, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 08:22:40 PM by pilonv1 »
itm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6700 on: September 19, 2019, 08:37:03 PM »
Zelda Maker confirmed
[close]

Metroidvania Zelda Roguelike :rejoice
©@©™

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6701 on: September 19, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
That goose game looks awesome.  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6702 on: September 19, 2019, 11:52:57 PM »
First video (I think?) where someone tried hooking up a Lite to the dock, and as expected...does not have video-out.  For some reason a lot of people expected this to still work.
:confused

Zelda Maker confirmed
[close]

Well actually...that's kinda what the new feature in Link's Awakening is- you can use rooms from cleared dungeons to create your own layouts and share them. 
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6703 on: September 19, 2019, 11:57:02 PM »
Played through the first three dungeons, did some exploring, grinded for rupees and got the bow and arrow (avoiding going the thief route as apparently not doing this gives you a better ending?), and am still enjoying the hell out of Link's Awakening despite the technical issues.  Found more slowdown when picking up and throwing jars sometimes, particularly when at other jars to break them all at the same time.  Still hasn't affected the game play.

Am assuming this is the same in the original, but it has been too long- if you don't want to steal expensive items, you can just grind pretty fast in the crane game.  Just get the 50 rupee, leave, and repeat.  Takes like 40 seconds each time.
ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #6704 on: September 20, 2019, 12:58:13 AM »
One of the guys at work got the Switch Mini. Feels really nice, semi rubbery texture. Might pick one up secondhand in a few months if I'm feeling like an idiot.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #6705 on: September 20, 2019, 06:55:48 AM »
https://twitter.com/stwtwo/status/1175000894280101889

The goose game is 25% off for the next few days, it's awesome you should get it
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:03:39 AM by pilonv1 »
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6706 on: September 20, 2019, 07:32:21 AM »
Square just announced the Final Fantasy VII & Final Fantasy VIII Remastered Twin Pack for Switch.  There's going to be an Asian-English version but no mention of an American release.  This is $50.  Seems pretty pricey.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:56:03 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6707 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:19 AM »
REEEEEE is saying the Lite d-pad is crap.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #6708 on: September 20, 2019, 11:01:48 AM »
Still an improvement over no dpad at all
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6709 on: September 20, 2019, 12:01:45 PM »
Still an improvement over no dpad at all

True, but with the O.G. version, you get options:

Got modded joycons on the upper right in this pic.  Plus Hori's d-pad joycon and now the Hori split joypad which is DA BESS MAYNE.  Problem solved.

Hori does what Nintendon't.
ど助平

Coffee Dog

« Reply #6710 on: September 20, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »
I really fucking hate that permanent vaseline smear at the bottom of the screen  :yuck

Reminds me of WWHD in that their interpretation of the art style puts me off what mechanically is a superior remake.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6711 on: September 20, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
Ew is that from that protector those ripples? Should I not put mine on?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6712 on: September 20, 2019, 01:20:19 PM »
LMFAO ITS CEILING TEXTURE ISNT IT

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6713 on: September 20, 2019, 01:38:44 PM »
LMFAO ITS CEILING TEXTURE ISNT IT

Yeah, it's from the camera!  :lol
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6714 on: September 20, 2019, 01:55:11 PM »
Bork, if your joycons are having drift issues, does modding them help at all or no?
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6715 on: September 20, 2019, 02:22:11 PM »
Bork, if your joycons are having drift issues, does modding them help at all or no?

No idea- I got those already modded.  All you do is move the internals from one shell to another, so doesn't seem like that would make a difference.  Have yet to experience any drift with those although the majority of my Switch play time is spent using wireless controllers.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6716 on: September 20, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »
Seeing more complaints about the Lite d-pad being so-so.  It's barely that much smaller than the original system, too.  Vita still the champ.

ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #6717 on: September 20, 2019, 03:23:24 PM »
It looks just as portable as the standard version tbh, with none of the options. Curious if these take off.

If not, I wonder how cheap these get on Black Friday. 

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #6718 on: September 20, 2019, 04:16:09 PM »
Untitled Goose Game is loads of fun. Only played the first level so far, but being an arsehole goose is my kinda thing.
Spud

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6719 on: September 20, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »
Switch Lite seems pretty popular looking at Twitter. Smart for Nintendo to release it alongside Link's Awakening.

Today my Link's Awakening LE arrived and tomorrow the Amiibo should be here.
Up next is to actually play the thing. I still have Astral Chain sitting here wrapped and a dozen deadlines this month.  :yeshrug
🤴