Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 948569 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #10860 on: September 27, 2021, 09:25:52 PM »
The only things that Bayonetta trailer reminded me of is low budget action games like No More Heroes and Devil's Third.
Not seeing anything bad about that.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #10861 on: September 28, 2021, 11:10:03 AM »
Castlevania GBA collection is cool. I always liked Circle of the Moon but it got panned a lot because before the GBA SP it was too dark of a game for a non-backlit screen. Harmony was alright and Aria was good.

I really wish the collection had the three DS metroidvanias as well so it'd be a complete metroidvania (sans SoTN) collection. Does anyone really want the SNES version of Drac X? After the PC Engine version and the PSP version it feels like the most uninteresting Drac X. Also it's not a metroidvania, why is it in this package?
I guess they'll sell us the DS Vanias later for another $20, I'd have paid $40 for all six games right now. :yeshrug

They'd have to actually do some work to change up or remove the touchscreen stuff (even though rom hacks have already done this), and it's Konami, so not expecting it.   :-\
Well they farm these out to a pretty decent porting house so I imagine those folks are up to the task.
Hi

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10862 on: September 29, 2021, 12:24:07 AM »
Beat the first two bosses in No More Heroes 3... so far this is wayyyyyy better than that piece of shit Travis Strikes Back

Also it somehow runs better than Deadly Premonition 2 lmao
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10863 on: September 29, 2021, 04:22:17 AM »
I'm hoping we get a director's cut of it. Apparently like one third of the game got scrapped just to keep the game on schedule.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #10864 on: September 29, 2021, 06:40:40 AM »
Suda needs better project management

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10865 on: September 29, 2021, 08:01:55 AM »
They don't own the IP. They had both time and budget constraints. They don't even know if they're allowed to make DLC. Japanese IP law is fucked.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10866 on: September 30, 2021, 11:29:34 PM »
Finished NMH3, very short game. Theres some side content and such you can do, but its just for giggles.

There's definitely a lot of cut content. Half the bosses you don't even fight. There are some cool moments I enjoyed

- The JRPG Battle
- The final bits (Travis in Smash!)

Wait for a sale on this one. Way better than Travis Strikes Again at least.
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10867 on: October 07, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »

poggers
fat

« Reply #10868 on: October 07, 2021, 12:56:39 PM »
My daughter has been playing Miitopia lately after buying a used copy from Gamefly with her allowance money. She named her party after herself and friends and our cat, and named the Dark Lord bad guy dude Donald Trump. Ah, to be a 9 year old in 2021.
野球

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #10869 on: October 07, 2021, 01:10:23 PM »
Metroid Dread is incredibly vague about what you're supposed to do at any given moment. That's been a series trope for a long time with the side-scrolling Metroid games. But just because something is an established tradition that doesn't mean it's the right idea.

I spent inordinate amounts of my time in Dread scanning around the massive and intricately detailed map screen, with its dozens of icons for phase beam doors, missile doors, morph ball launchers, speed boost blocks, and other interaction points that work with some specific tool or another. The trick to finding the way forward is to look at the last few tools you picked up and then scan the map for previously visited areas where there may be a door or path you couldn't open before, but now can.

The rigid design here is heartbreaking for me, not just as a longtime fan of Metroid

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10870 on: October 07, 2021, 01:59:58 PM »
It's a damn shame. I love Metroid. I want to play all the Metroid and experience its whole story for myself. But MercurySteam decided, for whatever reason, that only those people who pass the test, who master the controls, who happily throw themselves at challenges again and again — who, to use that atrocious shorthand again, get good enough — can experience all the joys and wonders that Metroid Dread has to offer. What a waste.

:mindblown
🤴

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #10871 on: October 07, 2021, 02:27:03 PM »
Fusion was hard too and this is a direct continuation of that, fucking get good bitches. :bolo
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #10872 on: October 07, 2021, 02:59:40 PM »
I think Metroid Dread looks great. The art direction and animation lol very cool to me.

But I suck at 2D action games. I guess this one is hard so I’ll probably have to pass.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:29:14 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10873 on: October 07, 2021, 03:22:50 PM »
I think Metroid Dread looks great. The art direction and animation lol very coo to me.

But I suck at 2D action games. I guess this one is hard so I’ll probably have to pass.
It's a Nintendo game, how hard can it be :trumps
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10874 on: October 07, 2021, 03:29:56 PM »
Keep in mind that game reviewers seem to be absolutely distinguished mentally-challenged. Although I'm sure there's twitch streamers with down syndrome that struggle less than these distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.

Bebpo

« Reply #10875 on: October 07, 2021, 05:24:40 PM »
So is the Switch OLED edition going to be some bonkers-ass revision where you can't find it in a store for 6-12 months like PS5 and everyone's scalping it?

I didn't think anyone cared about minor hardware revisions, but it looks like this things sold out everywhere.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10876 on: October 07, 2021, 05:28:52 PM »
Take a wild guess who has one.    :ego

Bebpo

« Reply #10877 on: October 07, 2021, 05:43:28 PM »
I don't even give a shit about the revision since there's no hardware performance boost.

I just want to replace my broken existing one that sounds like a lawnmower and drifts sticks and buying a non-OLED replacement at this point seems dumb. Will just keep using this junker and hope in a few months I can just go online and order one of these OLED versions.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10878 on: October 07, 2021, 06:36:15 PM »
OLED is life, I love my OLED TV and basically always play docked.

Which also means the Switch OLED is useless to me.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10879 on: October 08, 2021, 01:23:54 AM »
Metroid Dread is incredibly vague about what you're supposed to do at any given moment. That's been a series trope for a long time with the side-scrolling Metroid games. But just because something is an established tradition that doesn't mean it's the right idea.

I spent inordinate amounts of my time in Dread scanning around the massive and intricately detailed map screen, with its dozens of icons for phase beam doors, missile doors, morph ball launchers, speed boost blocks, and other interaction points that work with some specific tool or another. The trick to finding the way forward is to look at the last few tools you picked up and then scan the map for previously visited areas where there may be a door or path you couldn't open before, but now can.

The rigid design here is heartbreaking for me, not just as a longtime fan of Metroid
So…it’s a Metroid game then.  Flashes of shitty polygon staff playing DOOM 2016 really fucking poorly immediately spring to mind.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10880 on: October 08, 2021, 08:32:01 AM »
Metroid Dread is very much the kind of metroidvania you'd expect, with a bit of tutorial stuff in the beginning, and then it opens up and you go exploring.  I don't see what there is to complain about especially with the map telling you lots of info about what stuff is are showing you where you haven't been.  I think some people are going to HATE the EMMI shit and boss fights though.

I don't even give a shit about the revision since there's no hardware performance boost.

I just want to replace my broken existing one that sounds like a lawnmower and drifts sticks and buying a non-OLED replacement at this point seems dumb. Will just keep using this junker and hope in a few months I can just go online and order one of these OLED versions.

If you're going to use it as a handheld, get an OLED- if you primarily play docked, it's not worth bothering with and you can save yourself $50 and get the 'red box' LCD version.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #10881 on: October 08, 2021, 09:59:40 AM »
Fusion was hard too and this is a direct continuation of that, fucking get good bitches. :bolo

MercurySteam's Samus Returns was probably the hardest Metroid (not including the original game and some of its user-unfriendly design choices like starting you back with 30 health when you continue) - namely the driller robot boss fight.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10882 on: October 08, 2021, 02:15:39 PM »
My delivery bro's let me down.  :'(

They'll take it to a pick-up spot tommorow.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10883 on: October 08, 2021, 11:44:34 PM »
Missed out on all the Switch OLED 'restock' listings on various sites today and was about to give up on it, but checked Target, which I didn't see anyone mentioning, and found multiple stock listings online.  Ordered one and sure enough, it went through and I picked it up a few hours later. 

The OLED model is very nice- could immediately see how much better the screen is.  Makes the original models' screens look kind of dull in comparison.  Build quality is better, too.  It really does feel more premium- even the buttons on the tablet are better.  Kickstand being a hinge is 1000 times better.  The dock looks much nicer and the built-in ethernet port is nice, but it didn't matter much to me since I just used a USB-Ethernet adapter before.  It seems to be made to not scratch the screen this time, but I'm definitely going to be using a screen protector regardless.  Already got a glass one from amFilm.

Other than that...it's the same old Switch.  I definitely would say to get one if you have a first-gen model and want to upgrade, but if you rarely or never play on TV, just get a second-gen one and save $50.
And now I have to redownload a ton of stuff and it's going to take a while.  I think I'm just going to go through everything and download all the stuff I'm currently playing rather than wait.
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10884 on: October 09, 2021, 04:51:58 AM »
Other than that...it's the same old Switch.  I definitely would say to get one if you have a first-gen model and want to upgrade, but if you rarely or never play on TV, just get a second-gen one and save $50.

What... If you always play portable is exactly why you'd want to get the OLED one.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #10885 on: October 13, 2021, 12:38:50 AM »
I have a 1st gen switch and 90% of my gameplay is portable. My battery barely makes it to 2 hours these days.

Id love a new Switch.

But $350? Fuck no.
:O

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #10886 on: October 13, 2021, 01:25:41 AM »
Gameplop NZ is offering the console for 399NZD.... If you trade in a switch and one game  :-X

RRP is 599. Switch plus a game often goes for like 350 on local auction site. Dumb cunts

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10887 on: October 13, 2021, 03:59:11 AM »
GameStop has an overly greedy used game purchase policy?
*various shocked noises*
WOW! YOU DON'T SAY!

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #10888 on: October 13, 2021, 06:03:10 AM »
I have a 1st gen switch and 90% of my gameplay is portable. My battery barely makes it to 2 hours these days.

Id love a new Switch.

But $350? Fuck no.

I nearly cracked and bought one when I saw the smaler bezel since I play 95% portable. But not for the upgraded price without any performance increase.
itm

« Reply #10889 on: October 13, 2021, 12:38:06 PM »
Kinda bummed the OG Switch never got a price drop in NA tbh, was hoping to buy one since I don't like playing on Lite. Gonna have to go used route and keep the Lite in case I ever want to play portable I guess.

james

« Reply #10890 on: October 13, 2021, 01:35:14 PM »
Im still waiting for Breath Of the Wild: Game of the Year Edition with the DLC included for $39.99

:existential

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10891 on: October 13, 2021, 02:08:34 PM »

Id love a new Switch.

But $350? Fuck no.

So...

...Buy a Switch Lite for $200 or a second-gen Switch for $300?  And factor in selling off or trading in your current model.

:brain
ど助平

james

« Reply #10892 on: October 13, 2021, 03:27:04 PM »

Id love a new Switch.

But $350? Fuck no.

So...

...Buy a Switch Lite for $200 or a second-gen Switch for $300?  And factor in selling off or trading in your current model.

:brain

Switch Lite?

How DARE you.

And no I won't sell my baby you monster.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #10893 on: October 13, 2021, 04:06:09 PM »
Kinda bummed the OG Switch never got a price drop in NA tbh, was hoping to buy one since I don't like playing on Lite. Gonna have to go used route and keep the Lite in case I ever want to play portable I guess.

:miyamoto

Im still waiting for Breath Of the Wild: Game of the Year Edition with the DLC included for $39.99

:existential

:miyamoto
Margs

james

« Reply #10894 on: October 13, 2021, 07:49:05 PM »
Back in my day, the GC went from 200 to 150 within 6 months and every Nintendo game got the players choice 19.99 treatment before the next holiday season

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #10895 on: October 13, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »
gamecube was truly the goat console  :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #10896 on: October 13, 2021, 08:33:35 PM »
I'm reading the stores aren't getting any more stock of the OLED model until Black Friday or Xmas :|

Tempted to just get one off Ebay. Going on a trip next month and bringing SMTV with me, would like the new model for the trip. Biggest issue I have with buying from scalpers is if it's broken you got no store return policy.

*edit* Then again I tried turning on my normal Switch and in the dark the screen looks great and once you get past the lawnmower fans and the drifting sticks here and there it's still good enough.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 11:38:24 PM by Bebpo »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10897 on: October 14, 2021, 09:53:00 PM »
I'm reading the stores aren't getting any more stock of the OLED model until Black Friday or Xmas :|

Tempted to just get one off Ebay. Going on a trip next month and bringing SMTV with me, would like the new model for the trip. Biggest issue I have with buying from scalpers is if it's broken you got no store return policy.

*edit* Then again I tried turning on my normal Switch and in the dark the screen looks great and once you get past the lawnmower fans and the drifting sticks here and there it's still good enough.

It's not worth paying scalper prices for.  If nothing else, get a 'red box' Switch which has the upgraded internals and runs cooler for $299.
ど助平

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #10898 on: October 15, 2021, 10:46:59 AM »

:rofl :rofl :rofl

james

« Reply #10899 on: October 15, 2021, 10:58:23 AM »
These mother fuckers

james

« Reply #10900 on: October 15, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »
I havent watched the AC direct yet.

Please tell me theyre not making old stuff like Roost and Gyroids paid DLC

They cant

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #10901 on: October 15, 2021, 11:03:10 AM »
No, the dlc is basically the happy home designer game from the 3ds. Brewsters is free along with a bunch of other stuff.

james

« Reply #10902 on: October 15, 2021, 11:10:13 AM »
No, the dlc is basically the happy home designer game from the 3ds. Brewsters is free along with a bunch of other stuff.

Good. Im assuming zero quality of life changes?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10903 on: October 15, 2021, 11:10:33 AM »
It costs $50/yr for N64+Genesis roms lmao

$80/yr for family plan

Paying yearly for roms and AOL dialup online experience
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10904 on: October 15, 2021, 12:25:43 PM »
Do they even run at 960 x 720 like Mario 64 did or will they just top out at 480p.  :lol

Also what a weird ass combination, random N64 + Genesis ROMS and Animal Crossing DLC.
I see Toad is till holding the Samsung Galaxy S4. Those 2 Famicom controllers are Japan only, are those part of the logo?

What the hell is this.

Emily Rogers says the price is so high because of licensing costs
Licensing costs are likely main culprit behind NSO expansion's bold price. I heard Sega were paid very, very well.

This is notable because Sega weren't big fans of Wii's VC service due to low sales, revenue split, and lack of marketing. Hence why Sega didn't support Wii U VC

you can add SEGA getting paid well to the Switch Pro in the bullshit bin
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:50:35 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #10905 on: October 15, 2021, 12:49:46 PM »
Just saw the $50 price point

:rofl

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #10906 on: October 15, 2021, 12:58:37 PM »
Paper Mario isnt even included at launch, so you have to wait who knows for them to dripfeed it out
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #10907 on: October 15, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »
I mean, we've already seen the drip and quality of rom dumps from their NES/SNES stuff. An extra $30 annually is a joke.

The resume/rewind is nice for sure, but these aren't even going to be remastered or anything and N64 3d games mostly don't hold up.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #10908 on: October 15, 2021, 01:22:32 PM »
Over double the existing cost, ARE THEY HIGH?!?

Bebpo

« Reply #10909 on: October 15, 2021, 01:37:52 PM »
It's pretty clear they saw that Xbox Live/PS+ revenue and wanted to get in on that.

They just...should have offered more content to be worth that. Like if there was N64/GB/GBC/GBA/Genesis/Neo Geo/TG-16 or something all added then it'd be more worth it.

Hell, instead of Genesis, give me Saturn & Dreamcast games to go with the N64 games.

james

« Reply #10910 on: October 15, 2021, 01:39:06 PM »
Sega saw low sales because nobody wants their crap did they forget they failed as a video game company

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #10911 on: October 15, 2021, 02:00:12 PM »
Why is Sega asking for so much money when they sell all their genesis roms for dirt cheap?

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/sega-genesis-classics-switch/

I think Emily Rogers is just making shit up again.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #10912 on: October 15, 2021, 02:06:30 PM »
$50 is absurd.

I was already stupid enough to buy ROM dumps from you for the Wii VC, you fuckers.

:mjcry

james

« Reply #10913 on: October 15, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »
I only ever bought one VC game: Pokemon Snap.

It was worth it.

I also have a 3DS with the full portfolio of ambassador games. Must be worth a lot these days

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10914 on: October 15, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
I bought a whole bunch of VC games but my Wii U refuses to read the HDD with my entire history of Wii/Wii U data.  :doge

I can see it sitting on there but there is no way to access it.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10915 on: October 15, 2021, 03:10:50 PM »
For that extra $30, you could also just buy the Sega Genesis Classics collection and permanently own most of, if not all of those Genesis ROMs.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10916 on: October 15, 2021, 06:08:38 PM »
Don't forget to buy our $50 Genesis controller too! :success
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #10917 on: October 15, 2021, 06:28:55 PM »
If Nintendo would do GamePass it would cost like $2000 and you'd still not get half the games.  :doge
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10918 on: October 15, 2021, 10:07:24 PM »
I just wanna play the N64 games. :mjcry
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #10919 on: October 15, 2021, 11:03:55 PM »