Author Topic: Nintendo Switch Thread  (Read 933924 times)

Polident Hive

Re: Nintendo Switch Thread
« Reply #12900 on: May 24, 2023, 03:54:38 AM »
Reading how it’s possible to overclock the switch (OLED) to run this at 60fps. Some get it happening at handheld resolution 720p and others push it to the docked resolution. Didn’t know the OLED switch has more juice. But it’s unnoticeable stock or something like that.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12901 on: May 24, 2023, 08:24:05 AM »
Around 60 hours in and only completed one dungeon. I keep getting sucked into Depths exploration and getting nothing of value done anywhere else. Lots of cool stuff to find. I accidentally found the *Depths under Death Mountain spoilers*
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fire Temple and stumbled into the Master Sword quest after heading west from there.   
[close]

My one big gripe is using BOTW DLC outfits as rewards for new puzzles. Fuck that shit.

But overall, 10/10. Great game so far.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #12902 on: May 24, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »
Reading how it’s possible to overclock the switch (OLED) to run this at 60fps. Some get it happening at handheld resolution 720p and others push it to the docked resolution. Didn’t know the OLED switch has more juice. But it’s unnoticeable stock or something like that.

*Cries in 2017 switch*
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12903 on: May 24, 2023, 02:03:41 PM »
Nintendo actually added a boost mode to the Switch in 2019 before a new batch of titles dropped and updated a whole bunch of games to use it. It overclocks the CPU 75% and downclocks the GPU while loading. It is how TOTK loads must faster than BOTW did at launch. They also patched it into some other titles like BOTW and clocked the GPU higher in portable play for certain titles like Bayonetta 3.

For Zelda the issue is RAM speed. Overclocking the RAM fixes any slowdown while using the ultra hand, standing on top of trees or exploring Kakariko.
On old Switches your mileage may vary when it comes to overclocking potential. The OLED and 2019 refresh have chips with more headroom (they don't run as hot) but they are simply 'locked' at the same stock speeds as the older models.
Of course overclocked the Switch drains the battery quicker and there's a risk of overheating.

It's interesting to compare how certain Switch games run now compared to a launch. Over the years a whole bunch of titles like Xenoblade 2 run better and load faster thanks to both OS and game updates.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12904 on: May 25, 2023, 06:41:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1661862334024015874

:pika

Marvelous announced these:
Project MAGIA
Life is RPG
New Story of Seasons
Rune Factory Dragon
Rune Factory 6
Daemon X Machina: Titanic Scion

Probably all coming to the Switch.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 06:56:55 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12905 on: May 26, 2023, 01:17:33 PM »
New Fire Emblem Fates art for the GoodSmile figure  :whoo

🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12906 on: May 26, 2023, 01:52:12 PM »
 :hhh
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12907 on: May 27, 2023, 07:42:02 AM »
The Zelda team is just twisting the knife at this point

« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 08:03:29 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12908 on: May 27, 2023, 11:11:50 AM »
New Dragon Quest Monsters in development for Nintendo Switch

🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12909 on: May 27, 2023, 03:39:33 PM »
What

Kevtones

« Reply #12910 on: May 27, 2023, 08:21:23 PM »
Got me a rocket shield. I like it.

I’m in complete explore random whatever mode and just loving it. The cave system near the castle is wtf huge.
wrong

Kevtones

« Reply #12911 on: May 28, 2023, 01:23:42 AM »
A certain auto power in the depths plus the whole area getting a lot crazier = yay.
wrong

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12912 on: May 28, 2023, 06:51:02 AM »
Was walking around and stumbled on the Forgotten Temple. Such a magnificent structure.

6 years later this map is still amazing and even now very few 'next gen' games come close to this level of detail and variety let alone the physics and weather systems.
🤴

Let's Cyber

« Reply #12913 on: May 28, 2023, 09:10:56 AM »
A certain auto power in the depths plus the whole area getting a lot crazier = yay.
I was worried about the depths getting overly monotonous but they get pretty creative and mix things up the further you move from the center.

Even if you dislike exploring down there, you can literally just make an airplane and streamline the entire process.  :lol

james

« Reply #12914 on: June 05, 2023, 09:40:44 PM »
KIRBY TILT N TUMBLE THEY DID IT THEY BROUGHT HIM BACK TO MEEEEEEEEE

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1665886852694302723

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12915 on: June 05, 2023, 09:50:20 PM »
Finished TOTK, can confidently say new Zelda is not my Zelda. Another series to cross off the list

Started Prime Remastered... game looks great
fat

Let's Cyber

« Reply #12916 on: June 07, 2023, 01:34:04 PM »
I wouldn't be against another ALttP style adventure with simplified mechanics, traditional dungeons and shorter length. There was some really good pacing in OoT when you're just jumping from dungeon to dungeon that the new games lack.  With that said...

Aonuma has said they sticking with BotW style for the big 3D titles moving forward. I'm not mad about it. TotK is fantastic.  :rejoice

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12917 on: June 09, 2023, 10:03:34 AM »
Summer sale started for Switch!! So many good games on sale! Dragons Dogma for a fiver! Lumines Remastered
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12918 on: June 09, 2023, 06:13:12 PM »
TOTK 10/10
Massive Summer Sale
EU hardware sales up 40% yoy, PlayStation blown the fuck out in 2nd place
Many new 'perfect for Switch' games announced including an actual good looking 2.5D Sonic and Metroidvania Prince of Persia
Nintendo Direct Soon

The Switch party continues
 :playa
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #12919 on: June 10, 2023, 02:06:22 AM »
Haven't posted in here since starting ToTK because spoilersss
But around 75-80 hours in now and ... best game ever

Well...at least best Zelda game.
Since BoTW was arguably the best Zelda game and ToTK while less groundbreaking is like 10x a better game than BoTW, yeah, it is.

But yeah, probably like top5-10 games of all time game here. Easily will take every award for 2023. I wish more open world games had the balls to not handheld so much and just let you explore and discover and solve things on your own. It just makes it such a satisfying adventure. If Ubisoft ever did a sandbox game without handholding, could be awesome. But they won't. Ever. Because everything AAA has to be easy and hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do next.

..Except Souls games. And ToTK definitely takes a lot of inspiration from Souls. I'm almost surprised with the map showing the red X where you died last that ToTK didn't incorporate a "go find your body to retrieve your souls" mechanic with how much Souls influence there is here.

Dunno if I'll play FF16 when it comes out. Might finish ToTK by then. Might not. Pretty much doing 100% that I can without a guide and just exploring everything (Hero's journey is super useful for 100%-ing and figuring out where you haven't explored yet).

Bebpo

« Reply #12920 on: June 10, 2023, 02:07:56 AM »
Also ToTK is so much better on drugs. I wish I had more drugs post-surgery to have had more drugged out ToTK adventuring sessions. Only had a few, but man those were some of the best gaming days ever.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #12921 on: June 10, 2023, 06:59:13 AM »
But around 75-80 hours in now and ... best game ever

Well...at least best Zelda game.
Yup

:lawd  :aah  :rejoice

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12922 on: June 10, 2023, 12:36:21 PM »
Also ToTK is so much better on drugs. I wish I had more drugs post-surgery to have had more drugged out ToTK adventuring sessions. Only had a few, but man those were some of the best gaming days ever.
The Goron
on crack
[close]
is something I did not expect in a Nintendo game  :lol
🤴

Let's Cyber

« Reply #12923 on: June 10, 2023, 12:47:58 PM »
The Goron
on crack
[close]
Gorons have rampant drug abuse
Rito are dealing with climate change
Zora have massive pollution issues
[close]

"Keep your politics out of my Zelda, Nintendo"

:rage  :desoy

Polident Hive

« Reply #12924 on: June 12, 2023, 11:42:45 AM »
Finally had a chance to play TOTK and finishing the tutorial area and a bit more, gotta be honest, found it annoying to start from zero again. Seems as grind heavy as BOTW to boost inventory, stamina, et al. It is what it is. The quirks of BOTW are still here. At the same time, it’s everything awesome about BOTW and more.

Bebpo

« Reply #12925 on: June 13, 2023, 11:56:25 PM »
This game is soooo big omg. I kind of love it, and I kind of wish it was smaller haha.

Also wish the game didn't make me want to 100% it  :derp
But it's too fun. This is the kind of game that is perfect for a kid who only gets like 1 game a year. Could play this for months and months and months.

I'm like "ok, I'm gonna start at point A and go do this sidequest at point B"

...3 days of sessions later, I finally get to point B after doing like three dozen things in the sky/ground/depths along the way.

I think at this point I'm just going to finish the main story, so I can take a break and play FF16. After that hopefully I'll come back and finish the rest of the side stuff up.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12926 on: June 14, 2023, 05:56:19 PM »
The Goron
on crack
[close]
Gorons have rampant drug abuse
Rito are dealing with climate change
Zora have massive pollution issues
[close]

"Keep your politics out of my Zelda, Nintendo"

:rage  :desoy
On the plus side we now know how to fix all these issues :rejoice :miyamoto
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12927 on: June 14, 2023, 10:46:17 PM »
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #12928 on: June 19, 2023, 02:46:01 PM »
At endgame in Zelda, just finishing mapping out the depths, wrapping up shrines and sidequests before tackling the final boss. A bit over 100 hours now.

For the temples:
Water temple was bad because all the slow motion gravity
Spirit temple was bad because of how nothing it was, just a build puzzle for each part
[close]

Also there's too many combat challenge shrines that are mostly basic and uninteresting.

I also feel like even at midgame/endgame gear with attack up x 3 and 80 damage+ weapons, the silver enemies have too much padded HP. Waste too much weapon durability killing them, so outside grinding for gear upgrade mats no point in fighting silver enemies.

That said, I think even with some flaws, the game is still a 9.5 or a 10 because there is just so much great content in there. Just kind of a shame that if you only run the main scenario, some of the weaker content is on that path.

Bebpo

« Reply #12929 on: June 19, 2023, 10:56:09 PM »
Also Lynels are stupid. It's not that they're too hard but just they have so much goddamn HP you end up wasting multiple really good weapons to kill one and their drops...are pretty mid? Killed a couple and figured why bother.

Ran across a Silver Lynel, spammed him with a ton of 80+ damage weapons that broke and still had 50% HP and was one-shotting me and it's like why should I waste my best weapons on this guy.

Bebpo

« Reply #12930 on: June 20, 2023, 02:13:41 AM »
Finished the main story in Zelda.
Was satisfying. I like how this game is 100% a jrpg at this point.

Main story and main story route could’ve been longer and more developed, especially Ganon, but was good enough and game has the most rewarding exploration of any game that is not a Souls game. So much good side content.

Easily one of the best designed worlds ever in a video game, if not the best.

Can’t wait to 100% the rest. Game definitely is in my top10 games of all time.

Bebpo

« Reply #12931 on: June 20, 2023, 02:15:52 AM »
I have no idea how they can develop a world this size again for the next Zelda. They won’t have the crutch of re-using the old map unless they just expand it even more? Maybe that’s what they’ll do idk.

Also ToTK is super impressive for Switch hardware. Game ran smooth the entire time no matter what was happening and always looked good.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12932 on: June 20, 2023, 10:48:13 AM »
Nintendo Direct tommorow :hyper
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #12933 on: June 20, 2023, 12:24:34 PM »
Nintendo Direct tommorow :hyper
There's a bunch of "insiders" stating they'll reveal an new 2D Mario and a Remake of some SNES game.  Guess it wouldn't be LTTP, being this close to TOTK.  :-\. It's about time for a good Zelda.
 :dice

Also Lynels are stupid. It's not that they're too hard but just they have so much goddamn HP you end up wasting multiple really good weapons to kill one and their drops...are pretty mid? Killed a couple and figured why bother.

Ran across a Silver Lynel, spammed him with a ton of 80+ damage weapons that broke and still had 50% HP and was one-shotting me and it's like why should I waste my best weapons on this guy.
Fighting anything other than bosses is just a waste of time unless it's literally in your way.  The reward for going out of your way to fight is insultingly bad.  Hate to say it, but if they're going to continue this direction, they would need to apply a point/xp system.  Or unique weapons immune to breaking.   Or just make the sword fighting more dynamic and fun other than Link flailing.
I have no idea how they can develop a world this size again for the next Zelda. They won’t have the crutch of re-using the old map unless they just expand it even more? Maybe that’s what they’ll do idk.

Also ToTK is super impressive for Switch hardware. Game ran smooth the entire time no matter what was happening and always looked good.
It better be after dedicating a whole year solely to polish. 
Thanks, Elden Ring  :jared

At least they were smart about it unlike Sony dropping a pseudo buggy Horizon 2 in the same ER window.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 12:33:00 PM by Svejk »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12934 on: June 20, 2023, 12:30:44 PM »
BOTW 3 is gonna be the same map again, but this time it'll have the Dark World!
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12935 on: June 20, 2023, 12:38:23 PM »
BOTW 3 is gonna be the same map again, but this time it'll have the Dark World!

God no lmao
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12936 on: June 20, 2023, 04:22:55 PM »
One concept that they only used once was that in Zelda 2 a small part of the map was actually the map of Zelda 1.
They could take the BOTW map and expand it beyond its borders.

I think that they're done with this map though, don't forget that they re-used it for Age of Calamity as well.  :lol

Remake of some SNES game
Rumor is Chrono Trigger, but there's also that Fire Emblem remake that has been in development forever and they sat on Engage for over a year before they released it.
🤴

james

« Reply #12937 on: June 20, 2023, 04:28:50 PM »
The remake will be Super Mario RPG you heard it here first

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #12938 on: June 20, 2023, 04:58:49 PM »
I'm also thinking that some rumors might overlap. 2D Mario, SNES remake. New Super Mario World :mario

"This is just a Mario Maker 2 asset flip!!"

:miyamoto
🤴

james

« Reply #12939 on: June 20, 2023, 10:54:29 PM »
There better be new Mario kart tracks soon I'm hungry

Bebpo

« Reply #12940 on: June 21, 2023, 03:34:06 AM »
Looked up the lvl.2 armor set bonuses in Zelda. A lot of these sets are really useless :( Totally not worth the upgrade grind for the set bonus.

Honestly I just rocked the basic bitch Solider set for their high DEF and no bonuses. Just ate attack x 3 meal every boss/mini-boss so had high DEF and high ATK.

Though I liked the mining gear set since it looked cool and was semi-useful in the depths. Had that at lvl.2 so was enough armor for the depths.

But mainly just rocked the Korok hat the whole game.

Will get froggy set to lvl.2 because having full 3x slip resistance and still slipping is fucking bullshit. Honestly the rain in the game sucks shit. When the whole game is based around climbing, not being able to climb because it randomly rains is stupid. Least favorite part, though the thunderstorms where you have to keep de-equipping your shit are pretty annoying too.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12941 on: June 21, 2023, 10:11:33 AM »
I was trying to beat Fire Emblem Engage before FF16 came out, but I don't think I'm gonna make it, I'm only on Chapter 19. Honestly it's pretty mid tho, so it's getting dropped the second FF16 hits. The actual combat part still hits pretty hard, but the story is suck, the characters are dumb, the social sim aspect is just a lot of random busy work in between battles if you want to min-max, and the menus are a maze to navigate (of course you go to Inventory to change class, just makes sense!)
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12942 on: June 21, 2023, 10:12:40 AM »

You called it
What

james

« Reply #12943 on: June 21, 2023, 10:13:31 AM »

You called it

My uncle works at Nintendo

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12944 on: June 21, 2023, 10:48:19 AM »
They finally took Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy to the next level with Super Mario Bros Wonder.

james

« Reply #12945 on: June 21, 2023, 10:51:50 AM »
Direct was fine.

Less weeb games than usual, which is good.

Still disappointed they completely abandoned Animal Crossing. Why does Mario Kart get 9 years of support but AC got barely 2 years?

I like New 2D mario games but they all blur together. Show me a random level and I couldnt tell you which game it came from.

Im surprised there wasnt a Mario Sport or Party game as a stocking stuffer

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12946 on: June 21, 2023, 11:04:53 AM »
- Mario RPG looks like some indie fan project, otherwise fine I guess
- Star Ocean 2 looks sexy (also coming to PS4/5)
- Metal Gear Collection is crazy (also coming to Xbox)
- Mario Bros feels like its tiptoeing the line of NSMB, and finally fat Mario with a fat trunk as God intended

Otherwise an ok direct. Mostly stuff we knew

Also Metroid Prime 4 still a money laundering scheme / vaporware
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #12947 on: June 21, 2023, 01:00:05 PM »
Less weeb games than usual, which is good.

Checkmate, libs.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #12949 on: June 21, 2023, 03:35:23 PM »
Some decent stuff, but I'm probably good on Nintendo games until the next 3d Mario or Zelda.
Still haven't played NSMB Wii-U.

Back to PC gaming.

Bebpo

« Reply #12950 on: June 22, 2023, 02:16:14 AM »
Accidently wandered into the floating coliseum in Totk, FIVE GLOOM LYNELS

I didn't have any gloom heal items and I face tanked the first lynel and went to the second fight with an autosave and 3 hearts so everything one shot me. Spent an hour getting through all 5 of them. Had to get every single move down for each and still had deaths because the game handles shield parry so bad when you need to be using bows at the same time.

Reward was not really worth it lol, but at least now I know how to easily beat all the lynel types in this.

Himu

« Reply #12952 on: June 22, 2023, 06:24:37 AM »
Man these impressions of TOTK make me glad I'm replaying BOTW instead. Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12953 on: June 22, 2023, 11:26:24 AM »
Man these impressions of TOTK make me glad I'm replaying BOTW instead. Doesn't sound like I'm missing anything?

You are, BOTW is worse in every way
What

Bebpo

« Reply #12954 on: June 22, 2023, 11:32:10 AM »

Uh, no?

TotK is far, far better than BotW and one of the greatest games ever.

You are completely missing out by not playing it.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #12955 on: June 22, 2023, 11:42:27 AM »

Nope, TOTK is the same game, you arent missing anything.

- the SAME shitty 4 main "dungeons" (that arent dungeons)
- the SAME hundreds of tiny puzzles masquerading as dungeons (they arent dungeons)
- the SAME boring open world (except now there's ANOTHER boring open world except dark)
- the SAME uninteresting characters
- the SAME uninteresting loot
- the SAME uninteresting "quests"
fat

Svejk

« Reply #12956 on: June 22, 2023, 03:56:28 PM »
It's definitely BOTW 2.0.  It doesn't stand alone enough to differentiate.  It's great, If you LOVE BOTW.   :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #12957 on: June 22, 2023, 04:11:27 PM »
It's definitely BOTW 2.0.  It doesn't stand alone enough to differentiate.  It's great, If you LOVE BOTW.   :doge

Yeah, it's BoTW Super Turbo Ultimate Edition.

I thought BoTW was fantastic, so a way better BoTW is even better. But if you didn't like BoTW, you won't like this. I know people even outside this forum that really didn't like BoTW and TotK and want Zelda to be more focused and linear and also don't want games copying BoTW/TotK's formulas.

Meanwhile I want EVERY OPEN WORLD GAME to copy TotK and Elden Ring. They are the best examples of an open-world videogame imo. Both have a ton of repetitive optional content (Eldrin Ring's Tombs = TotK's Caves), but who cares it's optional and there's a ton else. Meanwhile here I am still spelunking each cave 110 hours in post-game and did every single tomb 100% in ER and enjoyed them.

Bebpo

« Reply #12958 on: June 22, 2023, 04:12:02 PM »
I really think TotK will probably ruin my ability to enjoy anymore Ubisoft games.

Himu

« Reply #12959 on: June 22, 2023, 07:40:26 PM »
I love BOTW so once I'm done with it I'll give TOTK a shot in a year. I'm surprised they reused the whole map from the original and got away with it. That's what's most alarming to me.

I love BOTW so once I'm done with it I'll give TOTK a shot in a year. I'm surprised they reused the whole map from the original and got away with it. That's what's most alarming to me.

Uh, no?

TotK is far, far better than BotW and one of the greatest games ever.

You are completely missing out by not playing it.

How is it better if there's no real dungeons and one of the main criticisms of BOTW was a lack of dungeons? How come they didn't expand upon its biggest flaw, which at the time was excusable because BOTW broke away from standard Zelda tradition. Or it reuses the entire map from the original? What is all of this toy crafting I'm seeing? Barely looks like Zelda. Seemed to me like TOTK was slotted as being a combination of classic Zelda with BOTW Zelda but they just doubled down on more BOTW.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 07:52:59 PM by Himu »
IYKYK