Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5447934 times)

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Oprah/Uma 2020
« Reply #13020 on: January 16, 2018, 09:08:19 AM »
Sigh... Having to read about old, dead white people just gets so tiring... Especially those that owned slaves...
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13021 on: January 16, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »
Jefferson took one James Hemmings with him to France to have him trained as a chef:

Broseidon

• Estado Homo
« Reply #13022 on: January 16, 2018, 12:08:17 PM »
The superior Greenwald Twitter account

https://twitter.com/gggreenwald/status/943915145725652993
bent

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13023 on: January 16, 2018, 12:31:06 PM »
Feels good knowing that the only L I took during the Iraq war was being a fervent Air America listener.

jorma

« Reply #13024 on: January 16, 2018, 12:56:56 PM »
Greenwald should be chained to a rock where an eagle tears out his liver every night for a thousand years.

And no, not for bringing any kind of spark to mankind, benji.

Just for leaking info that a powerful cabal of superhumans didn't want you to know then ?

I'm pretty sure that Greenwald at some point must have said something bad about the former Queen elect, and that's why mr Verrit is mad.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

etiolate

« Reply #13026 on: January 16, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »
Mandark is jealous of anyone with a voice that people respond towards. We just wasted a page feeding him care about his opinion.

What is your opinion on columnists? Grab a pipe and smoking jacket, we're going to the yawning elk club!

I only care about ideas presented and if they ended up being valid. Hitchens was wrong on Iraq. Yet he also predicted white identity politics.

Now I'm going to feed the cat, because he's knocking at the door. Don't get jealous Mandy. Sometimes even four legged animals garner more attention than you.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #13027 on: January 16, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »
Imagine being so stupid that opinions on the Iraq war and identity politics are presented as equally important. :kobeyuck
vin

etiolate

« Reply #13028 on: January 16, 2018, 02:20:56 PM »
btw that was my impersonation of y'all every time the topic changes from the usual fluff here

I did have to feed the cat tho

A lot of people were wrong on Iraq. I think it's better to be wrong on Iraq, know what lead you to being wrong and not repeat the mistake, rather than be wrong/right about Iraq and then still blindly trust official US reports without evidence.

Tasty

« Reply #13029 on: January 16, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »
Stop trying to make "feed the cat" happen, it's not gonna happen.

Alt. response: Keep fucking that chicken.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13030 on: January 16, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »
I don't know if this was Mandark's point but my takeaway, beyond "lol greenwald," is how ironic it is that someone so wrong about perhaps the biggest foreign policy issue of our lifetime is now a sanctimonious anti-imperialist who questions the sincerity of those who dare change their position/views (see: Clinton). Hate to pull a Jack Remington and bring up Clinton, who I'm not a fan of, but yea.
:yeshrug

reminds me of the Young Turks guy who was once a sexist conservative.

etiolate

« Reply #13031 on: January 16, 2018, 02:36:54 PM »
That would require a Clinton genuinely ever having a view or ever acknowledging they had a different view in the past.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13032 on: January 16, 2018, 04:26:21 PM »
I'm not sure how the lesson of the Iraq War was "trust Republican politicians and conservative news outlets over the intelligence community."

CIA's sketchy for a whole host of reasons, but it wasn't the proximate cause of that clusterfuck.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13033 on: January 16, 2018, 04:51:35 PM »
I gotta admit, I think it's pretty funny albeit wildly pointless that fellow liberals are getting all bent out of shape about Trump's fitness test that he just went through and forced the doctor to go up there and talk to reporters.

Several things:

a) Even if Trump was in relatively bad health, why would you ever openly publicize it?
b) Him being a fat piece of shit is not some big shock.
c) I don't know why anyone is thinking 239 lbs at a barely 6'2 frame is out of the ordinary for him.  The dude is not a great shape but it's obvious he walks around a lot on the weekends and has nothing BUT fat on him and hardly any muscle density.  239 is perfectly...sensible.

This is not the fight to have with Trump – even if he's faking all these results which I'm sure he probably is, this isn't what you campaign or latch onto.  Fight his policy decisions and leadership "skills"– those will prove his ineffectiveness to govern far more than trying to "get him" as a man with dementia.
püp

Nola

« Reply #13034 on: January 16, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
I'm not sure how the lesson of the Iraq War was "trust Republican politicians and conservative news outlets over the intelligence community."

CIA's sketchy for a whole host of reasons, but it wasn't the proximate cause of that clusterfuck.

Yeah, and I think that was only further illustrated in 2015 when the far less redacted declassified CIA assessment was released and it became pretty clear that at the root, there was a healthy dose of skepticism within the intelligence community for some of the Bush Administraion's larger assertions that they sold the public on. Doubts that lifers at the State Department also apparently had.

So when you look at the chain of events it was primarily the civilian leadership that deserves the blame. Because it's not that unreasonable to see how a different administration, with less penchant for garden-theory democracy building and hawkish neocons authoring their foreign policy, to take that same assessment honestly and see it as a letter of caution and not a green light.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13035 on: January 16, 2018, 05:03:39 PM »
Is Trump's physical truthering a thing? I haven't heard anything about it. Most places I've read are still just talking about him being a racist sack of crap.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #13036 on: January 16, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »
Is Trump's physical truthering a thing? I haven't heard anything about it. Most places I've read are still just talking about him being a racist sack of crap.

resetera  ::)
püp

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13037 on: January 16, 2018, 05:09:53 PM »

resetera  ::)

Okay, that explains it.
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #13038 on: January 16, 2018, 05:21:18 PM »
I don't know if this was Mandark's point but my takeaway, beyond "lol greenwald," is how ironic it is that someone so wrong about perhaps the biggest foreign policy issue of our lifetime is now a sanctimonious anti-imperialist who questions the sincerity of those who dare change their position/views (see: Clinton). Hate to pull a Jack Remington and bring up Clinton, who I'm not a fan of, but yea.
:yeshrug

reminds me of the Young Turks guy who was once a sexist conservative.

I honestly don’t begrudge Greenwald his prior support of the Iraq invasion, his takedown of illegal immigrants, his early support of Assange and Wikileaks, or his hagiography of Manning and Snowden. A lot of people held this views at the time, and the facts as we knew them at that time were not what they are today.

What I do take issue with, is that he cannot admit that he supported the Iraq War, and that he has built a career on berating people for having the exact same journey on the issue that he did.

In 2018, it’s now clear that Wikileaks (with Assange) are not the “biggest supporters of truth and transparency in our time” , but rather an organization that has tried and continues to, try to shape the news based on what it tells people and withholds, as well as coordinating with elements it is aligned to to influence their behavior to enhance its own narrative. Largely, the Deep State was actually right, on her Wikileaks was not “just a place to leak stuff that was performing purely journalistic functions”. That went out the window as soon as it was clear that Wikileaks was actively trying to get Trump to raise controversy about the election outcome, whether true or not.

Similarly, while Manning is somewhat admirable in a sense, she is also laughably unqualified for the Senate. Pointing this out is not a deep state attack on transsexual people. It is just a fact.

I don’t know whether Manning, Snowden, Assange, or the RT journalists are “Russian agents”. In fact, I think at least some of them are more like Russian dupes. People that are prone to put a finger in the eye of America out of sheer pettiness, deeply held beliefs, or semi-craziness, and Putin has decided to give these people a platform and magnify their voice for his own purposes.

Perhaps no individual journalist on RT is a Russian agent, but you can look at their front page and see the anti-American agenda between the lines.

That said, Abby Martin is hot as fuck, even if she is a 9/11 truther.

Nola

« Reply #13039 on: January 16, 2018, 06:01:25 PM »
 RT definitely is a Russian agent. It's Russia's Fox News but without the facade of plausible deniability, since its a state funded organization.

shosta

« Reply #13040 on: January 16, 2018, 07:12:52 PM »
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13042 on: January 16, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »
Ok, some Turkish (government?) hackers have hacked the accounts of Fox News anchors and are sending PM's to Trump.

Just when you think it can't get any dumber
 :doge

https://twitter.com/greta/status/953415521684410369
🤴

kingv

« Reply #13043 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:22 PM »
Trumps 280 easy.

Here’s a 6’3” 280 lb transformation to 230:

https://goo.gl/images/y4bBHM

As for RT: no doubt the channel is a Russian agent, overall, but the individual anchors, I suspect some of them are just naive, or are making a deal with the devil because they think their message is more important.

Nola

« Reply #13044 on: January 16, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »
Trumps 280 easy.

Here’s a 6’3” 280 lb transformation to 230:

https://goo.gl/images/y4bBHM

As for RT: no doubt the channel is a Russian agent, overall, but the individual anchors, I suspect some of them are just naive, or are making a deal with the devil because they think their message is more important.

From what I have read that seems accurate. Kind of like how Fox News operates. Lots of opportunists, naivety, head-turning around the obvious problems, and people that truly do believe the kool aid and think they are just doing their civic duty advancing Russia's interests against the evil West.

shosta

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:06:56 PM by Shostakovich »
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #13047 on: January 16, 2018, 11:26:45 PM »
benjipwns, I tried getting retromelon to post last night because buckley is his favorite, but demi still hasn't approved his account :(
每天生气

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #13048 on: January 17, 2018, 01:16:44 AM »
The more these people make things about race in this country the higher Trump's chances are in 2020. If the economy improves a bit more and holds until then it's going to be hard for a dem to win.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13049 on: January 17, 2018, 01:51:31 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/16/steve-bannon-trump-congress-intelligence-questioning

Adam Schiff, the ranking Democrat on the committee, said during a news conference after the marathon hearing, that Bannon’s lawyer had told the committee that the former White House aide “was willing to answer our questions but under instructions from the White House not to”. Schiff condemned what he called “a gag order from the White House”.

I don't think Stevie understands what "willing" means.

Can anyone explain to me what happens when someone is "testifying in court" versus being "under oath"? Is there a time in court when you're not supposed to be telling the truth?

Also, what kind of bullshittery is it that Trump is apparently trying to invoke Executive Privilege over the transition?

Edit, add:
Congressman Tom Rooney of Florida, speaking to reporters earlier on Tuesday, said that he “certainly think(s) the committee respects executive privilege. When does that attach, is the question that dominates the day.” Did it come into effect for a president, he asked, “during the transition or actual swearing in”?
…I like the line of thought, here.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:57:52 AM by chronovore »

kingv

« Reply #13050 on: January 17, 2018, 02:00:23 AM »
I believe it depends who you are under oath for.

Being a dickhead to Congress under oath/subpoena, you can be in contempt
Of Congress, but I believe Congress has to effectively pass something for there to be any real penalty. This is unlikely with a Republican Congress. That’s why Sessions and Bannon will get away with it. If Congress changes hands, I expect you will see a different tenor next year.

Under oath with the FBI or a grand jury, they will fuck you up if you lie to them. It’s a crime and they will
Prosecute.

Shrew

« Reply #13051 on: January 17, 2018, 02:09:03 AM »
I gotta admit, I think it's pretty funny albeit wildly pointless that fellow liberals are getting all bent out of shape about Trump's fitness test that he just went through and forced the doctor to go up there and talk to reporters.

Several things:

a) Even if Trump was in relatively bad health, why would you ever openly publicize it?
b) Him being a fat piece of shit is not some big shock.
c) I don't know why anyone is thinking 239 lbs at a barely 6'2 frame is out of the ordinary for him.  The dude is not a great shape but it's obvious he walks around a lot on the weekends and has nothing BUT fat on him and hardly any muscle density.  239 is perfectly...sensible.

This is not the fight to have with Trump – even if he's faking all these results which I'm sure he probably is, this isn't what you campaign or latch onto.  Fight his policy decisions and leadership "skills"– those will prove his ineffectiveness to govern far more than trying to "get him" as a man with dementia.

Because they're nerds, and nerds are the most insufferable beings on the planet. Right about everything.

I'm a Democrat and a Liberal, and I'm just fed up with this shit. Do you even political pendulum bro? Gay marriage legalized, Black guy president, weed decriminalized, no major wars being fought. You little Che Guevara's are lost without your easy targets; so now you're raging against the machine on the dumbest shit possible. Gotta go on that million man march for rights you already have, taking selfies all the way. Watching Colbert, pumping your fist in indignation. "Trump ate a hamburger: 10 reasons that makes him unfit for President"

Feel-good politics, that what is.

benjipwns

« Reply #13052 on: January 17, 2018, 04:10:56 AM »
Regarding TBS's post and his health in general, Trump's 71. He's older than every President ever was while in office except Reagan. Eisenhower was a hundred and twenty some days younger when he left office than Trump was when he took office. Trump's older than W. Bush and Bill Clinton are!

Now medical tech has advanced a shit ton obviously, as all our longest lived Presidents are probably going to wind up born this century or are John Adams or Herbert Hoover. (Others near the top of our longest lived Presidents, Truman, Nixon, JQ Adams and Van Buren...add in Ford and Bush and the key to immortality is clearly not serving two terms.)

Hillary would have been just slightly younger than Reagan had she not died after collapsing on 9/11, I don't know the age of her replacement double. 2016 was probably the oldest combined age of the two candidates in history. Actually, this was probably the oldest Presidential campaign ever taking the candidates over 1%, Gary was 63 and Jill was 66. The two last to withdraw primary candidates were 64 (Kasich) and 75 (Bernie).

Also people seem to forget that Trump was confirmed as the healthiest person to ever run for President or to even probably exist in human history by his campaign doctors. He might be immortal. There was even speculation that he's actually lived under other names in the past.

agrajag

« Reply #13053 on: January 17, 2018, 04:54:28 AM »
I'd think based on people I know irl who weigh around 239 lbs and their body types, with his large frame trump should be well above that, bigly

benjipwns

« Reply #13054 on: January 17, 2018, 06:34:16 AM »
https://twitter.com/danielschuman/status/953433566523854850

Gary (and Hellboy actor Doug Jones) votes to help stop the Anti-American Wacko Bird's Pro-Putin agenda :rejoice

Rhode Island and Providence Plantations turns out to be most pro-America state :american

agrajag

« Reply #13055 on: January 17, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »
Angus King is an independent, what a fake newsy tweet

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13056 on: January 17, 2018, 09:05:27 AM »
Those phony repubs that voted no only did so when they knew they had the votes for it to pass without them.  ::)
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #13057 on: January 17, 2018, 12:53:09 PM »
Mike Lee usually votes for these Rand/Wyden adventures even if he will vote against their bill/amendments, and one of the others on the list from out West I think...Corey Gardner maybe? Generally does similar, especially on NSA type stuff, but yeah, the list does include some past friends but if they were wavering I'm sure knowing it was going to pass let Heller and Moran definitely jump on board.

Some "anonymous sources" were spreading that Ted Cruz couldn't be found all day, they wanted to enlist him in the speechifying like in the past where he's hopped on the Randwagon, then he showed up to vote and it was apparently after it was clear it was being defeated.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13058 on: January 17, 2018, 01:23:36 PM »
Some "anonymous sources" were spreading that Ted Cruz couldn't be found all day, they wanted to enlist him in the speechifying like in the past where he's hopped on the Randwagon, then he showed up to vote and it was apparently after it was clear it was being defeated.

©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #13059 on: January 17, 2018, 01:28:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/953433094102556672

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/953455341236207617

Nola

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Fake News Awards
« Reply #13060 on: January 17, 2018, 02:13:03 PM »
I mean its pretty obvious Trump’s physical is a lot of embellishment and bullshit.

But the only people I have seen truly outraged are the people outraged because they think other people are unhinged and outraged....which basically sums up a certain thread here.

It’s late-night comedian fodder(like Phill Hartman doing Clinton McDonalds skits for SNL) and social media meme material. With a little bit of justified suspicion on the mental health given age, family history, behavior, and because as far as I am aware, we are yet to develop a test that can determine whether someone is suffering from true physical mental decline, or they just exhibit those traits because all they watch is Fox News.

« Reply #13061 on: January 17, 2018, 02:17:35 PM »
I mean its pretty obvious Trump’s physical is a lot of embellishment and bullshit.

But the only people I have seen truly outraged are the people outraged because they think other people are unhinged and outraged....which basically sums up a certain thread here.

It’s late-night comedian fodder(like Phill Hartman doing Clinton McDonalds skits for SNL) and social media meme material. With a little bit of justified suspicion on the mental health given age, family history, behavior, and because as far as I am aware, we are yet to develop a test that can determine whether someone is suffering from true physical mental decline, or they just exhibit those traits because all they watch is Fox News.

I mean it did give us the #girther which is in itself hilarious.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #13063 on: January 17, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »
The best part of that picture is Michelle's face :lol :lol

Brehvolution

« Reply #13064 on: January 17, 2018, 02:32:21 PM »
On my lunch, I saw a faux news chyron saying that Tom Perez is hoping to stave off complete collapse of the democrat party before midterms.  :lol

It is really another world there.
©ZH

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #13065 on: January 17, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
On my lunch, I saw a faux news chyron saying that Tom Perez is hoping to stave off complete collapse of the democrat party before midterms.  :lol

It is really another world there.

Nah man, the Democrats are the true sexists.
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/369363-rnc-accuses-booker-of-mansplaining-to-dhs-chief

Tasty

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13067 on: January 17, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »
Trump keeps winning at international relations! :rejoice
que

benjipwns

« Reply #13068 on: January 17, 2018, 02:51:26 PM »
Clinton actually did gain weight and get a negative medical report from eating too much fast food (as did staffers) and because his White House was a mess organizationally, maybe some stress eating, as he hadn't accounted for the time sink increase for the Presidency if you allow it (and Clinton was infamous for working without regard to self-scheduling, he once called up Leon Panetta at 2AM to ask him if he was watching a replay of a Senators speech on C-SPAN and Panetta told him "fuck no, you're probably the only person on the fucking planet") and he basically wasn't doing any exercising as he focused on everything else.

He didn't need to get intense like W. Bush's running/bicycling. But just his infamous jogging and then a treadmill he could "work" from did a lot for him. Though he still eventually had those heart problems after leaving office.

For his age, Trump's golfing probably does a lot for him especially with it being so regular, I've read that golfing can be surprisingly good exercise even if you're carting around rather than walking the course. I've never gotten the impression he does much other exercise.

I agree that 239 figure has to be like a Shaq or Robert Traylor (rip in peace) "weight" listing.

benjipwns

« Reply #13069 on: January 17, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
https://www.vox.com/world/2018/1/17/16900972/north-korea-olympics-south-korea-march-together-flag

This is a big deal... right? 🤔
The South Korea Unification Ministry said the two countries will also form a joint women’s ice hockey team — the first time they have contributed athletes to the same team at the Olympics.
Trying to use the ol East German method I see.

Nola

« Reply #13070 on: January 17, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
Author Michael Wolff’s pitch to the White House to win cooperation for his book included a working title that signaled a sympathetic view, a counter-narrative to a slew of negative news stories early in Donald Trump’s presidency.

He called it “The Great Transition: The First 100 Days of the Trump Administration.” And in part due to that title, Wolff was able to exploit an inexperienced White House staff who mistakenly believed they could shape the book to the president’s liking.

Nearly everyone who spoke with Wolff thought someone else in the White House had approved their participation. And it appears that not a single person in a position of authority to halt cooperation with the book -- including Trump himself -- raised any red flags, despite Wolff’s well documented history.

It wasn’t until late August that alarm bells were raised in the White House -- when Hicks, Jared Kushner and their allies realized that fellow aides who had spoken with Wolff, especially Bannon, may have provided damaging anecdotes about them.

In fact, for the first six months of Trump’s presidency no one in his White House -- including then-Chief of Staff Reince Priebus and then-Press Secretary Sean Spicer -- stopped Wolff from repeatedly scheduling appointments in the West Wing. He visited about 17 times, according to a person familiar with the matter. Nor did they monitor what Trump’s aides were telling the controversial author.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-17/how-author-wolff-got-into-trump-s-white-house-for-tell-all-book

:heh

agrajag

« Reply #13071 on: January 17, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »
he added a couple of inches to his height and shaved off a good 30-40 lbs. from his weight.

shosta

每天生气

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #13073 on: January 17, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
https://gop.com/the-highly-anticipated-2017-fake-news-awards/

The site is temporarily offline, we are working to bring it back up. Please try back later.

:trumps

©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #13074 on: January 17, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
the traffic is crashing the GOP site :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13075 on: January 17, 2018, 09:45:58 PM »
What an absolute wet fart.
dog

Nola

« Reply #13076 on: January 17, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
https://gop.com/the-highly-anticipated-2017-fake-news-awards/

The site is temporarily offline, we are working to bring it back up. Please try back later.

:trumps
Command+F: "Malia Zimmerman," " Seth Rich"

0 results. Etoilet redeemed!

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #13077 on: January 18, 2018, 12:47:17 AM »
Say what you want about Trump but he at least realizes that all media is now a joke because all people care about nowadays is hot takes.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #13078 on: January 18, 2018, 01:28:10 AM »
dude you don't have to preface every trump comment with "say what you like..." or some other weaselly equivocation. You like him because he enrages the libs. Wear it proud.

« Reply #13079 on: January 18, 2018, 01:35:35 AM »
"Say what you want about Stalin but at least he knew how to hold unto power"  :doge