Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5447463 times)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Fake News Awards
« Reply #13080 on: January 18, 2018, 01:49:04 AM »
No offense but, "say what you want" is a weasel phrase. Just sayin.
que

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #13081 on: January 18, 2018, 02:07:08 AM »
Wait a second, I said wait one goddamned fucking second. This is being hosted on GOP.com? As in the official website of the Republican Party? Have they all lost their fucking minds?! I can understand putting up with this president to get their agenda passed. I can understand trying to straddle the fine line between run of the mill conservatism and toxic nativism. I can even understand them putting aside their normal standards of decency and discourse for the sake of the party. But there is no reason they had to put on clown shoes and dance for the president.

This is absolutely the most undignified thing I have ever seen in politics. Everyone should be embarrassed.
每天生气

« Reply #13082 on: January 18, 2018, 02:34:00 AM »
Wait a second, I said wait one goddamned fucking second. This is being hosted on GOP.com? As in the official website of the Republican Party? Have they all lost their fucking minds?! I can understand putting up with this president to get their agenda passed. I can understand trying to straddle the fine line between run of the mill conservatism and toxic nativism. I can even understand them putting aside their normal standards of decency and discourse for the sake of the party. But there is no reason they had to put on clown shoes and dance for the president.

This is absolutely the most undignified thing I have ever seen in politics. Everyone should be embarrassed.

They're also openly attacking the press now...as a party.

The fascism parallels continue. 

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #13083 on: January 18, 2018, 05:52:42 AM »

They're also openly attacking the press now...as a party.

The fascism parallels continue.
It's not parallels at this point my dude.
Hi

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #13084 on: January 18, 2018, 07:11:23 AM »
Goshdarned lügenpresse.

Time to initiate the Endlösung der SJWfrage.

kingv

« Reply #13085 on: January 18, 2018, 08:07:51 AM »
https://gop.com/the-highly-anticipated-2017-fake-news-awards/

The site is temporarily offline, we are working to bring it back up. Please try back later.

:trumps

Pretty uninspired. Reads like a mediocre and low-effort buzzfeed shitpost from the mirror universe.

I suspect it was put together in a few days, because Trump had some idea he announced on twitter without telling anybody first.

agrajag

« Reply #13086 on: January 18, 2018, 08:24:16 AM »
Say what you want about Peter Madsen but at least he built a submarine.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #13087 on: January 18, 2018, 10:10:01 AM »

I think I read somewhere that it would've been illegal (not that that has stopped anyone before) for White House employees to help with the 'awards'. The GOP is an outside organization so they can and since they've been directionless since the nomination of Trump I doubt anyone there cared enough to stop it from happening.

The article I read was: http://www.newsweek.com/white-house-staff-could-be-trouble-if-they-help-trump-fake-news-awards-says-773794

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13088 on: January 18, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
Say what thou will shall be the whole of my post.
©@©™

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13089 on: January 18, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »
Disappointed that they didn't put on a show like the Razzies and instead just posted a listicle.

agrajag

« Reply #13090 on: January 18, 2018, 11:31:48 AM »
Disappointed that they didn't put on a show like the Razzies and instead just posted a listicle.

Low effort, low energy. Sad!

Boredfrom

« Reply #13091 on: January 18, 2018, 11:32:18 AM »

That would have required effort.

shosta

每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13093 on: January 18, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
Say what you will, but Norwegians are great workers because they're not brown.
que

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13094 on: January 18, 2018, 01:40:14 PM »
According to the list, Mexico has the hardest workers and Norway is 3rd from last.  :thinking
©ZH

etiolate

« Reply #13095 on: January 18, 2018, 02:02:45 PM »
Norway has live streams of their trains.

And that's what really counts.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13096 on: January 18, 2018, 02:21:25 PM »

YEAR 1

You ain't seen nothing yet, believe me.
 :trumps
🤴

etiolate

« Reply #13097 on: January 18, 2018, 03:18:55 PM »
I did not expect him to actually do the fake awards, but then he did do it and people were like "I wanted an actual ceremony."

So, I mean, y'all need to figure out this love/hate relationship.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #13098 on: January 18, 2018, 03:22:50 PM »
Yea but it was half assed. When you think of "fake news ceremony" you - or at least I - conjure images of a comprehensive list of candidates, winners, etc. Perhaps even a reward.

BTW I'm surprised the FCC hasn't gone after CNN about the "shithole" thing. What better reward for CNN than having the FCC hit them with fines.

shosta

« Reply #13099 on: January 18, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/953956445657161728

who the fuck wrote this and are they fired yet
每天生气

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #13100 on: January 18, 2018, 03:30:30 PM »

If Trump did conspire with Russia, the president “should resign, or, if he doesn’t, he should be impeached,” Lessig wrote in his essay. Vice President Mike Pence would also have to either resign or get impeached, which would make House Speaker Paul Ryan the president of the United States, Lessig wrote at the time.

Given that there is “no mechanism in American law for a new election,” nor “a mechanism for correcting the criminal results of the previous election,” Ryan ought to nominate “the person defeated by the treason of his own party, and then step aside, and let her become President,” Lessig went on to say.

Nah, this totally sounds like a possibility. Zuckerburg Lessig 2020!

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #13101 on: January 18, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »

Man Newsweek fucking sucks. They've turned into the absolute worst type of clickbait journalism, just preying on people. I get embarrassed for myself when I see an article of theirs float by.
rub

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #13102 on: January 18, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
Larry Lessig!

The dude who kindasorta ran for president on the platform of passing exactly one law (campaign finance reform) then resigning.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #13103 on: January 18, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »
I did not expect him to actually do the fake awards, but then he did do it and people were like "I wanted an actual ceremony."

So, I mean, y'all need to figure out this love/hate relationship.
Is it really that hard to understand? I'd rather the train not wreck, but, if it's going to either way, then I want explosions and all that. Human nature, and all that.
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13104 on: January 18, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
BTW I'm surprised the FCC hasn't gone after CNN about the "shithole" thing. What better reward for CNN than having the FCC hit them with fines.

FCC can't fine cable channels for dirty words and boobs.
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13105 on: January 18, 2018, 04:34:01 PM »

Hillary Clinton will never be president.
The first shoe-in female president in the history of the US was soundly defeated by Donald Trump.

There is a god and he writes poetry
 :delicious
🤴

Nola

« Reply #13106 on: January 18, 2018, 07:40:04 PM »
Meanwhile, while Newsweek is turning into Buzzfeed, Buzzfeed is seemingly turning into, well still an annoying clickbait site, but for some reason funding a pretty persistent hard news wing as well:

Officials investigating the Kremlin’s interference in the 2016 US presidential election are scrutinizing newly uncovered financial transactions between the Russian government and people or businesses inside the United States.

Records exclusively reviewed by BuzzFeed News also show years of Russian financial activity within the US that bankers and federal law enforcement officials deemed suspicious, raising concerns about how the Kremlin’s diplomats operated here long before the 2016 election.

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s team, charged with investigating Russian election interference and possible collusion by the Trump campaign, is examining these transactions and others by Russian diplomatic personnel, according to a US official with knowledge of the inquiry. The special counsel has broad authority to investigate “any matters” that “may arise” from his investigation, and the official said Mueller’s probe is following leads on suspicious Russian financial activity that may range far beyond the election.

The transactions reveal:

One of the people at the center of the investigation, the former Russian ambassador to the US Sergey Kislyak, received $120,000 ten days after the election of Donald Trump. Bankers flagged it to the US government as suspicious in part because the transaction, marked payroll, didn’t fit prior pay patterns.

Five days after Trump’s inauguration, someone attempted to withdraw $150,000 cash from the embassy’s account — but the embassy’s bank blocked it. Bank employees reported the attempted transaction to the US government because it was abnormal activity for that account.

From March 8 to April 7, 2014, bankers flagged nearly 30 checks for a total of about $370,000 to embassy employees, who cashed the checks as soon as they received them, making it virtually impossible to trace where the money went. Bank officials noted that the employees had not received similar payments in the past, and that the transactions surrounded the date of a critical referendum on whether parts of Crimea should secede from Ukraine and join Russia — one of Vladimir Putin’s top foreign policy concerns and a flash point with the West.

Over five years, the Russian Cultural Centre — an arm of the government that sponsors classes and performances and is based in Washington, DC — sent $325,000 in checks that banking officials flagged as suspicious. The amounts were not consistent with normal payroll checks and some transactions fell below the $10,000 threshold that triggers a notice to the US government.

The Russian Embassy in Washington, DC, sent more than $2.4 million to small home-improvement companies controlled by a Russian immigrant living not far from there. Between 2013 and March 2017, that contractor’s various companies received about 600 such payments, earmarked for construction jobs at Russian diplomatic compounds. Bankers told the Treasury they did not think those transactions were related to the election but red-flagged them because the businesses seemed too small to have carried out major work on the embassy and because the money was cashed quickly or wired to other accounts.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jasonleopold/newly-uncovered-russian-payments-are-a-focus-of-election?utm_term=.rnWZkl1El#.drP1gr0Kr

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-special-edition-anthony-cormier-russia-wire-transfers

I mean as the author points out on the Lawfare podcast, there are a number of explanations, 3 of the 4 would have little to nothing to do with the Russia investigation and just ongoing kleptocracy shit that Russia does(not that that isn't important).....Though he also lets it be known that they know a lot more about this and what specifically the FBI is looking at these for, that at least a couple of their sources are people with first hand knowledge of the matter, but they are not at liberty(by choice) to disclose that stuff right now.

2018 is shaping up to be another crazy year.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13107 on: January 18, 2018, 07:51:01 PM »

FCC can't fine cable channels for dirty words and boobs.

stop mansplaining me

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13108 on: January 18, 2018, 08:30:29 PM »

If Trump did conspire with Russia, the president “should resign, or, if he doesn’t, he should be impeached,” Lessig wrote in his essay. Vice President Mike Pence would also have to either resign or get impeached, which would make House Speaker Paul Ryan the president of the United States, Lessig wrote at the time.

Given that there is “no mechanism in American law for a new election,” nor “a mechanism for correcting the criminal results of the previous election,” Ryan ought to nominate “the person defeated by the treason of his own party, and then step aside, and let her become President,” Lessig went on to say.

I'm pretty sure I read that exact same article months ago.
dog

kingv

« Reply #13109 on: January 18, 2018, 11:12:04 PM »
I feel like a lot of opinion writers don’t get that the #Girther thing is tongue in cheek.

Like, he’s is almost certainly fudging is weight and height, which is only relevant because 1) lots of people hate him and 2) it’s a relatively beningn lie that is emblematic of his entire presidency’s one true constant: that everybody who works for Trumo, will eventually go up onto the national stage, lie for a man with no loyalty, and burn their credibility and reputation in the process.

Trumps very first official act was to order one of his underlings to go make a bunch of bullshit on camera over some mundane, irrelevant details, and it’s humorous that he just keeps doing it.

But for some reason there’s been like multiple articles decrying the furthers and comparing them to birthers. It seems really beside the point. It’s like take people from the Jedi Church or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and comparing their “deeply held beliefs” to major religions and claiming that both were equally ridiculous.

It sort of misses the point of the whole thing.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13110 on: January 18, 2018, 11:15:26 PM »
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/369513-trump-admin-creates-new-religious-moral-protections-for-health-workers

God's teats, these fuckers will do ABSOLUTELY anything to appeal to their base.

kingv

« Reply #13111 on: January 18, 2018, 11:22:25 PM »
It will probably be staffed by a 22 year old intern.

agrajag

« Reply #13112 on: January 18, 2018, 11:25:26 PM »
Anyone read through the FusionGPS hearing transcript released tosay?

Nola

« Reply #13113 on: January 18, 2018, 11:27:12 PM »
Anyone read through the FusionGPS hearing transcript released tosay?

There was another one?

I read through the one Dianne Feinstein released a week or so ago. Surprisingly fascinating stuff TBH. At least to me.

agrajag

« Reply #13114 on: January 18, 2018, 11:28:56 PM »
Yes, from the second part of the hearing. This focuses on money laundering.

Nola

« Reply #13115 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:41 PM »
Yes, from the second part of the hearing. This focuses on money laundering.

Gotcha. Just looked it up briefly. I see this is the House testimony they released, separate from the Senate testimony Feinstein released.

I'll probably glance over it, I have to imagine it covers a lot of the same ground(and because they have been pretty fascinating). The senate testimony went into a lot of depth on Trump's potential money laundering and Russia financial connections as well. I would be curious to see if maybe Simpson elaborated some more in the House testimony. Seems like a quick glance at headlines suggest he might of.....Though I suspect I will have to wade through a bunch of Trey Gowdy fuckery to find it.

agrajag

« Reply #13116 on: January 18, 2018, 11:40:45 PM »
Devin Nunes' fuckery with giving a subpoena to Bannon was some fuckery to behold. He really wants his finger on the pulse of the whole Russiar thing.

« Reply #13117 on: January 19, 2018, 12:04:55 AM »
Devin Nunes' fuckery with giving a subpoena to Bannon was some fuckery to behold. He really wants his finger on the pulse of the whole Russiar thing.

He has to be implicated in this; no one goes to these lengths with this much on the line; especially when it's looking clear as day crimes were committed.

agrajag

« Reply #13118 on: January 19, 2018, 12:06:54 AM »
He was on the transition team, it's unbelievable he was even allowed to un-recuse himself. He's been doing nothing but playing attorney for the white house.

kingv

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Fake Fake News Awards
« Reply #13119 on: January 19, 2018, 12:36:19 AM »
I was surprised he approved of the subpoena. Maybe he knew Bannon would call executive privilege.

Also surprising is that Nunes is still polling ahead in his district, in CA. He has a slimmer but still decent lead on his opponent. That district must be gerrymandered to hell.

agrajag

« Reply #13120 on: January 19, 2018, 01:13:39 AM »
I was surprised he approved of the subpoena. Maybe he knew Bannon would call executive privilege.

Also surprising is that Nunes is still polling ahead in his district, in CA. He has a slimmer but still decent lead on his opponent. That district must be gerrymandered to hell.

I don't think he "allowed" it, he wanted to spoil Mueller's parade. Have everything out in the open and then shit on and try to discredit Bannon's testimony in the eye of public opinion. Maybe that's why Mueller preemptively subpoena'd him himself. Mueller playing dat der 4d chess.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13121 on: January 19, 2018, 02:46:59 AM »
In what world does EP apply to transition stuff?

agrajag

« Reply #13122 on: January 19, 2018, 02:57:54 AM »
in the looney tune congressional republican world

« Reply #13123 on: January 19, 2018, 03:30:23 AM »
In what world does EP apply to transition stuff?

Because trump says so.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13124 on: January 19, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »
in the looney tune congressional republican world

Even Trey Gowdy is like wtf are you talking about guys.  :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13125 on: January 19, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »

I'm pretty sure I read that exact same article months ago.
Nearly a year after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, a Harvard University professor says 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton could still become commander in chief.

Lawrence Lessig, the Roy L. Furman professor of law and leadership at Harvard Law School, penned an essay for Medium in October outlining a series of hypothetical scenarios that could take place should the ongoing probe find that the Trump campaign actually conspired with Russia to influence the results of the election.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13127 on: January 19, 2018, 10:23:21 AM »
Omarosa doin Omarosa thangs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13128 on: January 19, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »
So that's why Trump mentioned the tapes about his conversation to to Comey.

Amarosa taped everything on behalf of her boss.  :doge
🤴

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #13129 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:23 AM »
“The white supremacists are American citizens,” Mark Steyn, a regular guest on the network, told Tucker Carlson. “The illegal immigrants are people who shouldn’t be here.”

Steyn, who Carlson introduced as an “actual thinker,” was speaking about a segment on CNN in which Chris Cuomo ripped the Trump administration for making undocumented immigrants seem like “monsters” and “villains” while ignoring the threat posed by white supremacists.

“That may be well and true,” Steyn said, but added that it was “irrelevant” because the white supremacists were citizens.

“The organizing principle of nation-states is that they’re organized on behalf of their citizens, whether their citizens are cheerleaders or white supremacists or whatever,” he said. “You’re stuck with them.”

Steyn also complained of “cultural transformation” in Arizona due to immigration:

“In Arizona, a majority of the grade-school children now are Hispanic. That means Arizona’s future is as an Hispanic society. That means, in effect, the border has moved north and the cultural transformation outweighs any economic benefits that that lady was talking about.”

Carlson called it “bewildering for the people who grew up here.”

That would not include Steyn. He’s from Canada.

Deport this fuck.
©ZH

Skullfuckers Anonymous

kingv

« Reply #13131 on: January 19, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
This “release the memo” shit is dumb as hell and incredibly transparent:

1) if FISA is so open to abuse, why did Republicans block reforms of the system literally last week?
2) if the memo is so damaging, why doesn’t Nunes read it into the record on the floor?
3) who were the 1 million people tweeting this st 3AM on a Thursday? You’re telling me that 0.3% of the us population was tweeting #releasethemrmo in the middle of the night? It’s quite obviously a coordinated effort of some kind.
4) does this mean trump is not going to sign the section 702 reauthorization? Somehow, I doubt it.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #13132 on: January 19, 2018, 11:10:41 AM »

1) if FISA is so open to abuse, why did Republicans block reforms of the system literally last week?
2) if the memo is so damaging, why doesn’t Nunes read it into the record on the floor?
3) who were the 1 million people tweeting this st 3AM on a Thursday? You’re telling me that 0.3% of the us population was tweeting #releasethemrmo in the middle of the night? It’s quite obviously a coordinated effort of some kind.
4) does this mean trump is not going to sign the section 702 reauthorization? Somehow, I doubt it.

It's pretty obvious. And lo and behold, Snowden and Greenwald are on board. This is a continuation of the "Obama tapped Trump Tower" thing. We already know the admin went to the FISA court 3 times in 2016, and were rejected the first two times. I think it's safe to assume, given the evidence required to receive FISA authorization, there was quite a bit of damning evidence presented during that last hearing.

I don't believe it's an attempt to influence Trump to not re-authorize it though. IMO it seems moreso an attempt to muddy the waters again, revive Obama as a boogieman, and perhaps deflect from another story dropping soon.

agrajag

« Reply #13133 on: January 19, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »
Those dumb hapless judges will give a FISA warrant for anything. Something must be done about this!

Tasty

« Reply #13134 on: January 19, 2018, 11:29:32 AM »
Pope Francis shocks Chile by accusing sex abuse victims of slander

Sorry Cindi, the Catholic Church is just as scummy as ever.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #13135 on: January 19, 2018, 11:51:49 AM »
We finally have the first victim of the possible shutdown.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-delays-weekend-mar-lago-trip-until-shutdown-avoided-n839066

I still chuckle when I see "Winter White House" the press easily picks up his nonsense PR-speak.
🤴

Phoenix Dark

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #13137 on: January 19, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
Yeah it's just some more russo bot bollocks.
Hi

kingv

« Reply #13138 on: January 19, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »

It's pretty obvious. And lo and behold, Snowden and Greenwald are on board. This is a continuation of the "Obama tapped Trump Tower" thing. We already know the admin went to the FISA court 3 times in 2016, and were rejected the first two times. I think it's safe to assume, given the evidence required to receive FISA authorization, there was quite a bit of damning evidence presented during that last hearing.

I don't believe it's an attempt to influence Trump to not re-authorize it though. IMO it seems moreso an attempt to muddy the waters again, revive Obama as a boogieman, and perhaps deflect from another story dropping soon.

Oh yeah, it’s absolutely an attempt to muddy the waters in the wake of the NRA stuff, rather than an attempt Toto stop FISA court. But the fact that they passed FISA already and that DJT will sign it is the tell, that’s it’s all smoke and mirrors.

I saw the Snowden and Greenwald tweets, and I actually think they are not as dumb as usual. I think having Trump attack FISA puts GG in an awkward position that requires him to simultaneously attack section 702 while also criticizing Nunes for gaslighting and hiding serious abuses, while also acknowledging that they are probably falsehoods. Snowden seems to be doing the same, tweeting essentially “if the house intelligence committee says they are serious crimes, the public deserves to know” and following up with “even if he’s making them up, the public deserves to know that too”

I actually mostly agree with Glenn for once.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #13139 on: January 19, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
Limbaugh raging hard at Rand Paul for "siding with Chuck You Schumer" by demanding "immediate amnesty" for DACA eeee-llegals and chain migration :usacry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
wonder if he's even mentioned Rand Paul's other anti-American attack on the Trump Administration this week :doge
[close]