Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5389789 times)

Trurl

Re: U.S. Politics Discussion Thread |OT| Weekly Trump Scandal Hot Takes
« Reply #6960 on: June 21, 2017, 04:36:35 PM »
I have tremendous amount of respect and admiration for Pelosi and think that the hatred for her is catalyzed by misogyny.  Also I'm guiltily starting to think she needs to be replaced just to be more palatable to people.  It's a tough call and I think she was legitimately great speaker.

Edit: after a bit more thought I realize how bad it would be to panic and dump Pelosi.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 04:49:23 PM by Trurl »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6961 on: June 21, 2017, 05:04:40 PM »
My dude, is this a conversation about Hillary or Pelosi:

"She just provides too much ammunition for Repubs!"

"They'll just do the same with whoever replaces her"

"Not nearly as effectively!"

I mean, you know, justify your thoughts how you will, but even a simpleton like myself can see a bit of double think going on with ya here

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6962 on: June 21, 2017, 05:26:01 PM »
Well, truly it was that one wouldn't be a good presidential nominee, but like I said, do your justifications as you will, just giving you something for you to [be hostilely opposed to] think[ing] about

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6963 on: June 21, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
...says the person that's rage quit and renamed himself on a forum like, 5 different times and has anger management issues. :doge

Here's your argument against (because I had it with someone else earlier today)- Unlike Hillary, Nancy Pelosi is currently an elected official in the democratic party. And ALSO unlike Hillary, Nancy Pelosi has a remarkable skill as a legislator and vote whipper. In fact, no one else in the House caucus comes close. Certainly not Stenny fucking Hoyer. Those would be, you know, pretty handy skills to have if the Dems actually win in 2018, which they've got a real chance to.

Your arguments for getting rid of her basically boil down to that she's a convenient punching bag for opponents of the Dems to trot out to scare stupid people into not voting for democratic candidates. Anyone an argument that stupid is going to work on, they're probably not voting democratic no matter what. And if Pelosi went away and Stenny Hoyer was magically the minority leader, or [insert faceless bland midwestern male white democrat here], it wouldn't matter- the GOP and their allied PACs would whip up some bullshit about "face of the party" Elizabeth "pocahantas" Warren, or a Willie Horton ad, or whatever.

In short, you're being irrational. Much like you were for all those years you were convinced that the best thing the Democrats could do was to get rid of Harry Reid. Listen to catscatscats. He's right.
yar

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6964 on: June 21, 2017, 05:32:31 PM »
The broken clock strikes again 8)

FStop7

« Reply #6965 on: June 21, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
Does anyone really believe there was some secret block of 11,000 Democrats (or whatever was needed for Ossoff to win) in northern Cobb County that stayed home because of Nancy Pelosi? 

Pelosi or no Pelosi the outcome would have been the same.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6966 on: June 21, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
I don't really buy that argument. And again, anyone it works in is so stupid, they're probably getting motivated to come out to the polls by whatever FUD the GOP throws out.

But even if it DID hold some merit, again- do you shoot yourself in the dick by kicking your best legislator and vote whipper to the curb so racists and misogynists MAYBE sit out and don't vote for people that represent their retrograde views? Seems fucking stupid to me.

And again- Ossoff lost because he was running in a very Republican district, that's gerrymandered to all fuck.

You want to win, address that shit first. You just like to rage. Shit ain't healthy.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6967 on: June 21, 2017, 05:42:32 PM »
I didn't leave the house today because of Pelosi and depression. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6968 on: June 21, 2017, 05:45:17 PM »

You didn't leave the house because you have someone tied up in the basement, Arvie.
yar

Nola

« Reply #6969 on: June 21, 2017, 05:54:22 PM »
It basically comes down to the Democratic party is very bad at marketing IMO. Marketing their policies, their people, and their opposition. They are bad at using language and maintaining strong group identities or breaking down others.

Nancy Pelosi becomes a pariah because they are not good at combating the Republican's superior methods of slandering people and policies.

I would say 90% of the people that hate Pelosi aren't even sure what specifically they hate. They just have bought into a narrative that the Democrats basically sit by and let fester indefinitely. Sort of like happened to Clinton. So these people just "feel" Pelosi is a piece of shit. Right and left. And it will just become "fake tears" Schumer or "fake moderate" Tim Ryan had he won.

Tasty

« Reply #6970 on: June 21, 2017, 05:54:38 PM »

You didn't leave the house because you have someone tied up in the basement, Arvie.

If they're tied up, why wouldn't he leave?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6971 on: June 21, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »
Does anyone really believe there was some secret block of 11,000 Democrats (or whatever was needed for Ossoff to win) in northern Cobb County that stayed home because of Nancy Pelosi? 

It's the other way around. Are there 11,000 Republicans who might have stayed home if they didn't have Pelosi motivating them? It's possible. This is a red district, but Dem turnout was absurdly high, enough to win under normal circumstances. Ossoff lost because Republican turnout was also insanely high at a time when you'd expect them to be more complacent and maybe even a bit discouraged.

She's a good vote-whipper, sure, but anyone can whip No votes in the minority. I'm not convinced there's no one else who can do the job in 2019. Hell, make her party whip.

I would say 90% of the people that hate Pelosi aren't even sure what specifically they hate. They just have bought into a narrative that the Democrats basically sit by and let fester indefinitely. Sort of like happened to Clinton. So these people just "feel" Pelosi is a piece of shit. Right and left. And it will just become "fake tears" Schumer or "fake moderate" Tim Ryan had he won.

But name recognition wouldn't be nearly as high.

And Schumer sucks.

There were over 310k votes in that district in the 2016 election, and a little less than 260k last night, so try again.

YOU. ARE. WRONG.
yar

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6972 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »
edit
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:15:12 PM by TheInfelicitousDandy »

Nola

« Reply #6973 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »

It's the other way around. Are there 11,000 Republicans who might have stayed home if they didn't have Pelosi motivating them? It's possible. This is a red district, but Dem turnout was absurdly high, enough to win under normal circumstances. Ossoff lost because Republican turnout was also insanely high at a time when you'd expect them to be more complacent and maybe even a bit discouraged.

She's a good vote-whipper, sure, but anyone can whip No votes in the minority. I'm not convinced there's no one else who can do the job in 2019. Hell, make her party whip.

The thing is, Georgia became this D-Day type event for both parties. So the GOP spent a ton of money and national resources to keep interest. And we are still only in the first few months of this presidency. And if you added up the votes from the initial election, Handel should of won if everyone showed back up. Which is what happened and more.

The right has a lot of money, but they aren't going to be sinking 20 million in each of the 30-80 house races they could potentially be vulnerable in based on these continuing trends favoring the Democrats.

If anything I would say yesterday should illustrate that Tom Price's original strategy of using their resources on the handful of races they find most competitive in their subjective minds may not be a wise strategy.

Nola

« Reply #6975 on: June 21, 2017, 06:17:31 PM »

But name recognition wouldn't be nearly as high.

And Schumer sucks.

I'm not opposed to replacing Pelosi. I actually to an extent sympathize with the angle you are taking. A little. However, I think her ability(and Hoyer's) to whip votes, prioritize and move legislation, and maintain the coffers is very valuable.  And if you go that route, you have to ensure you have someone that can achieve that and I am not sure who is out there that can? That is what I don't see in your argument, what is the solution and what does it achieve besides temporarily undercutting an attack platform of the right that we aren't even sure how important it was?

Because until the party can come up with some better strategies to prevent good people from becoming pariah's, all you are doing is rotating in people that will get vilified and then replacing them, which is simultaneously decreasing your competency to perform the technical aspects of the job that get your agenda passed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:21:43 PM by Nola »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6976 on: June 21, 2017, 07:27:53 PM »
Trade Pelosi for picks so the Dems can build a young core, 2020 needs to be a rebuilding election. Am I doing these hot takes correctly?
©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6977 on: June 21, 2017, 08:44:14 PM »
https://www.buzzfeed.com/darrensands/what-happened-to-black-lives-matter
That’s why shortly after the 2016 election, on November 18, several dozen Black Lives Matter leaders selected it as the place to gather.

Top activists in the movement — like Alicia Garza, cofounder of the Black Lives Matter network of organizations (a namesake group), Charlene Carruthers of the Black Youth Project 100, and others — met to privately discuss how to move forward in Trump’s America. Protests had already dominated the news for days. This would be the time for decisive action, undergirded by a clear strategy. Here, in the hills of Tennessee, the activists would come together for a meeting of groups involved in the Movement for Black Lives, an umbrella group of organizations that want the same things, and devise a plan to address the new president, the shock of his election, the law and order he had promised during the campaign, and the devastating blow it all had delivered to generational movements about race and criminal justice policy in the United States. They would devise a plan — like the heroes of the civil rights movement once had decades before.

That good feeling didn’t last long. Few people want to talk about exactly what went wrong — how exactly the meeting devolved. But one problem, according to people who attended or were briefed on the meeting, was pretty simple: The ideas weren’t that good.

Some activists pitched things that had been pitched before. Someone pitched a plan that would require the recruitment of new groups into the fold, and leadership of the so-called resistance. And someone pitched a grand vision: the organization of 1 million black people. This last idea in particular infuriated people inside and outside the meeting. After years of organizing, local activists were cash-strapped, trying to keep their people motivated, and struggling to coordinate with other groups nationally while staying relevant at home. One million black people organized? Organized by whom? Organized for what? And this was the plan?
It’s not completely clear why Garza and Tometi split. But according to sources in interviews, as well as what the women themselves have said in public appearances, what is clear is they didn’t agree on the direction of the movement. Garza refused to endorse Hillary Clinton, who once helped promote her husband’s tough-on-crime policies during the 1990s and was unpopular with the economic and progressive left. (Garza’s refusal has attracted the ire of Democrats post-election.) Tometi was having a different experience: Old friends and fellow immigration activists were speaking to her about the black activists showing up for brown people. Friends say Tometi saw a shift toward immigration as a potential pivot for the movement, but one that would take increased discipline. The thought was an extension of Tometi’s feeling that the struggle was a global one; Trump was posing real dangers to undocumented immigrants, and he was wrapping up the nomination.

The split weighed heavily on one activist close to the pair: “It used to be that we’d say turn up on the state and turn down on each other. But now I think people are just tired.”
:dolezal
In June 2015, after a white supremacist massacred nine parishioners at a Charleston church — including Clementa Pinckney, an up-and-comer in the South Carolina legislature — representatives from Blackbird arrived. They offered talking points, assistance, and a media strategy. It was not that local organizers didn’t know what to do, or how to do it, but Blackbird had a national profile and was connected to high-profile activists.

A major point of contention in the movement is that Blackbird likes to keep much of its operation quiet. It doesn’t have a website or Twitter account. “They want to remain invisible,” said one activist familiar with, but jaded by, the group’s inner workings. “Our reason for going along with that is...what?”

It’s unclear how the group is organized and who exactly works in it. (Blackbird activists have in the past asked specifically not to be named or quoted in reports on the movement by BuzzFeed News.) In her statement to BuzzFeed News, Shanelle Matthews wrote, “Blackbird provides communications and tactical support to organizations working toward this vision in and outside of [the Movement for Black Lives].”

To some, it’s emblematic of the secretive way that some decisions get made. To others, just being secretive doesn’t mean that the group has bad intentions — if you imagine a teenage activist who becomes a viral news story, for instance, you can imagine when talking points and a publicist could be a relief.

On the outside, though, organizers like Marissa Johnson, a co-founder of the Safety Pin Box who is perhaps best known for interrupting Bernie Sanders before thousands in Seattle, suggested Garza’s protectiveness over the phrase “black lives matter” paid dividends for the group but created challenges for others. In an interview with BuzzFeed News, the former Black Lives Matter Seattle organizer said the hashtag #BlackLivesMatter is what encompasses all the movement’s activity, and therein lies a very particular dilemma. “Part of the problem there is a lot of the resources end up getting directed to just the national [organization] because people on the outside of the movement don’t know any other names besides Black Lives Matter,” Johnson told BuzzFeed News. “It prevents resources from getting to a whole wide range of people doing on-the-ground work — and similarly to the nonprofit structure, we haven’t seen this big resurgence of funds directed to people who are on the ground.”
Repeatedly, activists interviewed for this story described a culture inside the Black Lives Matter organization that suppresses dissent, or hints of any disagreement that could be considered divisive on the outside. “You do what you’re told,” one activist, who is based in the Mid-Atlantic, told BuzzFeed News. “There’s a tyrannical element.”
cacs all like :success

bluemax

« Reply #6978 on: June 21, 2017, 10:50:35 PM »
Trade Pelosi for picks so the Dems can build a young core, 2020 needs to be a rebuilding election. Am I doing these hot takes correctly?

Just gotta wait for Lebron to opt out in 2018 and sign him to a max deal.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #6979 on: June 21, 2017, 11:18:12 PM »
no one is going to want Pelosi such that you'll get decent picks back, maybe back before they widened the aisles in the House and she could camp down by the Speaker's chair but now days you have to be able to bring in legislation from multiple spots on the floor

she has no range and it leaves the Democrats with terrible spacing, both coasts and that's about it

benjipwns

« Reply #6980 on: June 21, 2017, 11:31:49 PM »
President Trump in a rally on Wednesday evening said immigrants who enter the United States should not be eligible for welfare benefits for five years, though such a law has already existed for 20 years.

“The time has come for new immigration rules which say that those seeking admission into our country must be able to support themselves financially and should not use welfare for a period of at least five years,” Trump told a crowd in Cedar Rapids, Iowa at the U.S. Cellular Center.

The president said his administration would be “putting in legislation to that effect very shortly.”

But such a law is already in effect and has been in place since 1996.
:bow so much winning :bow2

agrajag

« Reply #6981 on: June 21, 2017, 11:48:37 PM »
If I propose bills that are already laws, I am guaranteed a win  :rollsafe

benjipwns

« Reply #6982 on: June 22, 2017, 04:29:58 AM »

Newt rolling out dem talking points bam bam bam :lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
sound only in your right ear because NO LEFT-WING MEDIA
[close]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6983 on: June 22, 2017, 09:09:27 AM »
Unless you turn your headphones around.  :rollsafe
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6984 on: June 22, 2017, 10:21:02 AM »
Unless you turn your headphones around.  :rollsafe

*insert simpsons gif where the Russian guy pushes a button and Russia flips over to Soviet Union and he laughs maniacally, except it's now Conservatives and then Liberals, except also Conservatives is spelled Cuckservatives*
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #6985 on: June 22, 2017, 03:55:36 PM »
Sam Bee just keeps on slaying

___

etiolate

« Reply #6986 on: June 22, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/HarunMaruf/status/877954946036924416

this is basically the plot to a modern video game

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6988 on: June 22, 2017, 04:24:37 PM »
Maybe Obama has the tappes?
©@©™

archie4208

« Reply #6989 on: June 22, 2017, 04:26:33 PM »
He's been recorded by the deep state all along.   :ohhh

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6990 on: June 22, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »

:oreilly :oreilly :oreilly :oreilly :oreilly :oreilly :oreilly :oreilly
dog

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6991 on: June 22, 2017, 08:03:05 PM »
:lol :lol :lol

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #6992 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:42 PM »
At least he's not a leaker.
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
___

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #6994 on: June 22, 2017, 08:55:55 PM »
As the kids say: that boy's got cake. 👏

:doge

agrajag

« Reply #6995 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
he's thicc

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6996 on: June 22, 2017, 10:09:14 PM »
It's got buns hun but I don't want none.
que

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #6997 on: June 22, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »
Not so little in the middle
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #6998 on: June 23, 2017, 01:09:36 AM »
so our health care will be gone soon, nice while it lasted
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6999 on: June 23, 2017, 11:13:22 AM »

wow if true
©ZH

Nola

« Reply #7000 on: June 23, 2017, 12:26:42 PM »
As overused as the phrase is by the right, it's class warfare dressed up as a healthcare bill and the Democrats should just call a spade a spade.

It's a bill that is built around giving rich people tax cuts(it's the only constant in this process) and cheaper access to their Cadillac health plans that distort the market and drive up costs, paid for by cuts to healthcare for the poor, elderly, sick, and basically most Americans.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7001 on: June 23, 2017, 12:43:18 PM »
We only need three Senators to grow a spine to kill this thing dead, but never bet against the spineless of the GOP.
dog

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #7002 on: June 23, 2017, 02:12:47 PM »
The arguments I hear against the ACA in my hometown and from my own family are pretty insane. The Republicans have done a great job on the propaganda side, their constituents with argue AGAINST their own best interests. I know there is some Catholic guilt sneaking in when it comes to my community too, as if everyone is inherently bad and doesn't deserve something as basic as healthcare.

• When discussing the poor in general-
They didn't work hard enough to get a good job with decent benefits, they earned their lot in life.  :smug

• When discussing their job and healthcare-
I'm so underappreciated.  :'( I really should have cheaper access to healthcare.

"Everyone else in my situation is bad and lazy except for me. I just got a raw deal. "

Nola

« Reply #7003 on: June 23, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
There does seem to be a strain of people that are more then ok with harming themselves(or at least looking past it) if it harms those "leeches" that camp on welfare and get better health insurance then they get.

We Americans love to point fingers and punish the people we think are moral monsters. The harsher the better.

Though the irony of those people saying "get a job that gets good benefits," setting aside they are the same people against increasing wages to afford it, is that a big part of the reason the individual market is so fucked is because of their(and I guess my) government sponsored employer insurance subsidized through the tax code that continually drives up prices and distorts the market.

Nola

« Reply #7004 on: June 23, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
Just to further show how blatant this transfer of wealth is:

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7005 on: June 23, 2017, 07:59:20 PM »
"I'm concerned about these cuts, but I will vote for the bill anyway."

~GOP Senator
dog

FStop7

« Reply #7006 on: June 23, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
"My brow is moderately furrowed as I buttfuck millions with a swipe of my pen."

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #7007 on: June 23, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »
Notice how Republicans are generally denying that this will cost people their insurance or access to care.

Generally when they attack social programs (welfare, food stamps, unemployment insurance), the rhetoric is more about taxpayers to support moochers. Damn right we're cutting benefits, cause they should get jobs and stop spending on frivolous things blah blah blah.

There's some recognition that health care is different, or that the public sees it differently, but they still want to cut it. Makes the way they talk about it extra weird, like in that Vox piece. Or Newt in the 90's with "they're not cuts! They're reductions in the rate of growth!"

jackbenimble

« Reply #7009 on: June 24, 2017, 01:48:09 AM »
*runs directly into the goombas in SMB 1-1*

wow this game sucks

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername

Oblivion

« Reply #7011 on: June 24, 2017, 06:08:00 AM »
"I'm concerned about not reading the bill, but I will vote for the bill anyway."

~John McCain

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7012 on: June 24, 2017, 06:17:17 AM »
McCain. :yuck :yuck :yuck
Hi

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #7013 on: June 24, 2017, 10:46:59 AM »
"I'm concerned about not reading the bill, but I will vote for the bill anyway."

~John McCain

Profile in courage
 :usacry :usacry :usacry
yar

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7014 on: June 24, 2017, 11:15:28 PM »
gaf is losing their shit about kennedy possibly retiring
püp

Oblivion

« Reply #7015 on: June 24, 2017, 11:35:13 PM »

i'd say that's something worth losing one's shit over

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7016 on: June 25, 2017, 12:18:30 AM »

i'd say that's something worth losing one's shit over

It certainly is awful.  But we know nothing, and getting a Dem wave in 2018 is still in sight.
püp

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7017 on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:59 AM »

ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #7018 on: June 25, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Trumps greatest contribution to American politics is giving every jerkoff with a trustfund a hardon for the highest office in power. I'm glad I get to bear witness to this idiot sinking record numbers of money into a failing bid for president. This dude can't even take off a sweatshirt without looking like someone you would want to beat up in junior high.

Can't wait to see Elon Musk get in the political game. "Look, I know liberals love me for some reason, oh uh mars?? We might go to mars someday? Also prison labor is actually good"

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7019 on: June 25, 2017, 06:30:08 AM »
Who the fuck does he think is going to vote for him? Can't run on the right cause Don is already there, and running on the left as the Facebook guy is a laughable thing to even try to do considering their admission of letting FAKE NEWS run rampant on the site leading up to and influencing the election. No leftist worth a damn is going to get behind this goober. :maf :doge
Hi