Author Topic: US Politics Thread |OT| SAD TRUMP  (Read 5444001 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: US Politics Thread |OT| Trump sells the US to Ukraine to own the libs
« Reply #43920 on: September 24, 2019, 01:33:24 AM »
Isolationism pre WW1?

Philippine-American War was like two decades before that. Even if you dial it back further a bit you still have to exclude the entire history of westward expansion and conquest to make the conceit work.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #43921 on: September 24, 2019, 01:44:31 AM »
not to defend occam's original post but I think isolationism specifically refers to noninterference in Old World squabbles
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:54:58 AM by shosta »
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #43922 on: September 24, 2019, 02:02:19 AM »
yeah, I don't think it is entirely erroneous to refer to America having isolationist leanings. Though, that is with respect to interventions and not Manifest Destiny
though, I wouldn't really say moving away from isolationism is necessarily shifting right

shosta

« Reply #43923 on: September 24, 2019, 02:03:29 AM »

Lenin forgive me... but I have to go back to tha old me now...
每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #43924 on: September 24, 2019, 02:12:43 AM »
And people really don't get that American politics have shifted so far to the right that the former centrist party has become a right wing party, while the former right wing party has become a parody?
Isolationism pre WW1?

Anyway, these are imperialist, right-wing stances. No different to what a Republican would say.
But the Republican Party was the primary "isolationist" party until the Cold War Containment Consensus™ and still maintained this streak enough to pass toothless resolutions against Serbia/Kosovo until 9/11 changed everything™ while the Democrats never abandoned liberal interventionism except for some periods in which their standard bearers were irrelevant pushovers by all sides. Arguably Vietnam became more of a domestic issue than a foreign policy issue by the time the ascendant wing of the Democrats had abandoned it and the Republicans had taken up the peace with honor we achieved before the Democrats betrayed South Vietnam.

What party would be the "centrist" one and which the "imperialist, right-wing" one 30 years ago when one attacked Panama to get a CIA traitor drug smuggler and bombed Iraq into submission followed by a opposing party President who deployed U.S. troops more times to more locations than all his post-war predecessors combined which followed the election of another opposing party President promising no more nation building and a humble foreign policy that subsequently launched the biggest continued deployment of American force since Vietnam at minimum.

And that's just the glib summary that will lead to a snarky unhelpful comment and more like value manipulation by an unhinged like terrorist.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #43925 on: September 24, 2019, 02:15:38 AM »
I'm glad Americans can unite on one thing atleast  :american

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #43926 on: September 24, 2019, 02:15:59 AM »
You can trace Latin americans learning how to play baseball due to the US military being sent for whatever reason.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43927 on: September 24, 2019, 02:36:46 AM »
not to defend occam's original post but I think isolationism specifically refers to noninterference in Old World squabbles

He was obviously going for the idea that US politics had moved rightward since sometime between the 30's and 70's, then realized he goofed and pivoted.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #43928 on: September 24, 2019, 02:45:58 AM »
She's back! Sam Seder on notice!

This video makes me proud to be a Libertarian.

I always knew you were a pedo.

I always read the name as shota, so it fits

shosta

« Reply #43929 on: September 24, 2019, 02:58:13 AM »
How would you even know what that was if you weren't a pedo yourself? I only know it because TVC told me.
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43933 on: September 24, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »
https://twitter.com/Ic0nick/status/1175389699592130560

Bernie was treated unfairly by questions he was never asked at an event he didn't attend.
 :crybaby
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #43934 on: September 24, 2019, 08:48:34 AM »

He was obviously going for the idea that US politics had moved rightward since sometime between the 30's and 70's, then realized he goofed and pivoted.

The country has obviously become more liberal in terms of civil rights, but there hasn’t been a combination of President and Congress in 40 years that supported expanding the social net except for a small slice of time from 2009-2011, and they did it in the most neoliberal way possible. In that sense, we almost certainly have more right wing political policies in practice, if not in spirit.

That same President then went on to propose social security cuts to decrease the deficit.

« Reply #43935 on: September 24, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »
The president shouldn't mock a teen with Asperger's.

But the environmental movement shouldn't be celebrating this child's speech, either.

We stole her DREAMS and her CHILDHOOD.

Honestly, was there no scientist who could speak rationally on the subject of environmental science? We had to have Holly Hobby and her weepy emotionalism and iffy science?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43936 on: September 24, 2019, 09:25:14 AM »
There are plenty of scientists speaking about it, and they don't move the needle one bit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:34:04 AM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #43937 on: September 24, 2019, 09:31:40 AM »
This Ukraine thing is like Benghazi and IRS bullshit all over again. Repeat the lie enough it becomes the truth.
©ZH

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43938 on: September 24, 2019, 09:32:50 AM »
This Ukraine thing is like Benghazi and IRS bullshit all over again. Repeat the lie enough it becomes the truth.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071177621445230596
ὕβρις

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43939 on: September 24, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071177621445230596

Very legal and very cool.

dog

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #43940 on: September 24, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »

But the environmental movement shouldn't be celebrating this child's speech, either.

Honestly, was there no scientist who could speak rationally on the subject of environmental science? We had to have Holly Hobby and her weepy emotionalism and iffy science?
what were her dreams anyway? anyone asked her yet?

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #43941 on: September 24, 2019, 09:42:52 AM »

what were her dreams anyway? anyone asked her yet?

For filler to like her tweets, but @jack took that away from him :juicy
Margs

« Reply #43942 on: September 24, 2019, 10:00:42 AM »
Dunno about you guys but when I think of political activism I think of rationalguys in lab coats dryly reading off factoids to a bunch of very interested congresspeople, half of who aren't bought off by the industries in question. Using invective to shame politicians or incite mass action has never worked, only facts and logic and bar graphs will do the trick.

I think facts would have done some good, but to each his own.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #43943 on: September 24, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »
There have been literal decades of facts being publicized and given a national platform (Inconvenient Truth, hello?).  Politicians didn't give a shit.
püp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #43944 on: September 24, 2019, 10:24:48 AM »
It's not just US scientists either.

The reason rightist politicians cast doubt or deny is because if they admit they were wrong, there will be punitive efforts against the offending industries that line their pockets. So they are going to stave that off for as long as possible.
©ZH

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #43945 on: September 24, 2019, 10:30:11 AM »
There are plenty of scientists speaking about it, and they don't move the needle one bit.

This. Her literal message is “listen to the scientists”

Brehvolution

« Reply #43946 on: September 24, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »
©ZH

Occam

« Reply #43948 on: September 24, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

How many Americans died in the Vietnam War? One too few.

Occam

« Reply #43949 on: September 24, 2019, 12:09:20 PM »
You... know he didn't fight in Vietnam right? :doge

Yes. That's the joke.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43950 on: September 24, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
What's with that weird pattern of sending Giulani out to run completely incoherent, uncoordinated exonerations ?
ὕβρις

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #43951 on: September 24, 2019, 12:45:23 PM »
Dunno about you guys but when I think of political activism I think of rationalguys in lab coats dryly reading off factoids to a bunch of very interested congresspeople, half of who aren't bought off by the industries in question. Using invective to shame politicians or incite mass action has never worked, only facts and logic and bar graphs will do the trick.

Literal toddlers being gunned down didn't move the needle on gun laws, but I’m sure an over dramatic Swedish teenager speaking to the UN will get Congress to do something on climate change :aweshum
Margs

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #43952 on: September 24, 2019, 12:49:30 PM »

Literal toddlers being gunned down didn't move the needle on gun laws, but I’m sure an over dramatic Swedish teenager speaking to the UN will get Congress to do something on climate change :aweshum

Did you see that movie made by Chuck Norris' son where the UN invades America to take away our guns?? Chilling.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #43953 on: September 24, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »
Dumb kids are dumb. She is still doing something better than most people criticizing and sure as hell she doesn’t deserve to be mocked by crybaby Cheeto. She is still a dumbass kid that is going to get undermined by her hyperbole.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #43954 on: September 24, 2019, 01:04:20 PM »
Dumb kids are dumb. She is still doing something better than most people criticizing and sure as hell she doesn’t deserve to be mocked by crybaby Cheeto. She is still a dumbass kid that is going to get undermined by her hyperbole.

Undermined in what way? Evilore pulls Neogaf out of the Paris Accords?
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #43955 on: September 24, 2019, 01:07:11 PM »
I think here hearts in the right place, and there’s nothing “wrong” with what she’s doing.

But at the same time, you’re kidding yourself if you think that this will make a difference either. It won’t. The only thing that will make a difference is for the boomers to die off enough for younger generations that actually believe in climate change to take over the political process.

If you wAnt to make a difference, kill your parents.

Boredfrom

« Reply #43956 on: September 24, 2019, 01:10:46 PM »

Undermined in what way? Evilore pulls Neogaf out of the Paris Accords?

Sure as hell I was rolling my eyes yesterday by “you ruined my hopes and my childhood” quote. Otherwise I was thinking “is nice she wants to change things”.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43957 on: September 24, 2019, 01:18:30 PM »
The more the left Reeeee's the more they ensure Trump will win another election.

They learned absolutely nothing from 2016.
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43958 on: September 24, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »
The country has obviously become more liberal in terms of civil rights, but there hasn’t been a combination of President and Congress in 40 years that supported expanding the social net except for a small slice of time from 2009-2011, and they did it in the most neoliberal way possible. In that sense, we almost certainly have more right wing political policies in practice, if not in spirit.

First problem with using the Great Society as a comparison point is that it was also a blip. It's preceded by ~25 years of the conservative coalition dominating Congress and followed by a 24 years with either a Republican or Jimmy Carter in the White House. It also coincided with the Vietnam War, so bringing up this idea specifically in the context of foreign policy like Occam did is a bit silly.

Also I get the impression people think there was a robust safety net which got rolled back in the Reagan/Bush/Clinton years which mostly isn't the case. The ACA, CHIP, and even Medicare Part D were all addressing holes in the coverage of Medicare and Medicaid that had been there since the start.

Boredfrom

« Reply #43959 on: September 24, 2019, 01:19:45 PM »
The more the left Reeeee's the more they ensure Trump will win another election.

They learned absolutely nothing from 2016.

:doge

Now that is jumping the gun. What does that girl has to do with US elections?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43960 on: September 24, 2019, 01:21:15 PM »
If someone thinks the success of the gun lobby isn't evidence in favor of an emotional approach to politics, I'd encourage them to read any of Cindi's posts.

Boredfrom

« Reply #43961 on: September 24, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
If someone thinks the success of the gun lobby isn't evidence in favor of an emotional approach to politics, I'd encourage them to read any of Cindi's posts.

In that regard, it also give us Trump, so...

:-\

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43963 on: September 24, 2019, 01:32:15 PM »
Another coup under way
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1176544600372273152

bombshell
the walls are closing in
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #43964 on: September 24, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
Nintex is using the "I didn't want to vote for Trump, but those radical left antifa/BLM/david hoggies need to be stopped" line, that left activists fuel the conservative right by giving them a target. I have no doubt that some centrist brain geniuses see college kids yelling at professors on youtube and that gets them mad enough to go full fascist, but it's a line of argument that sees ideological struggle as the primary driver of political direction. And just assumes that these people wouldn't just vote Trump after the primaries anyway. Because we all know Republican voters love to swing to the other side.

Basically, Nintex is a fucking dipshit,

Lib activists do anything to bring attention to an issue: "they learned nothing, this will make people vote for Trump!"

Trump sharts himself on twitter: "he changed the narrative so now nobody is talking about climate or guns anymore, what a genius!"

kingv

« Reply #43965 on: September 24, 2019, 02:07:45 PM »

First problem with using the Great Society as a comparison point is that it was also a blip. It's preceded by ~25 years of the conservative coalition dominating Congress and followed by a 24 years with either a Republican or Jimmy Carter in the White House. It also coincided with the Vietnam War, so bringing up this idea specifically in the context of foreign policy like Occam did is a bit silly.

Also I get the impression people think there was a robust safety net which got rolled back in the Reagan/Bush/Clinton years which mostly isn't the case. The ACA, CHIP, and even Medicare Part D were all addressing holes in the coverage of Medicare and Medicaid that had been there since the start.

I meant over that “since the 1930s” as a comparison. It would be hard for me to swallow an argument that we have more progressive government today than the New Deal, economically and in terms of social programs. Obviously, 1930s people were racist by today’s standards and didn’t respect equal rights for women, lgbt, and resetera posters.

I don’t know if I would ever call our safety net “robust” but it’s certainly gotten worse over the years:

Since the 80s:
- introduced taxes on social security benefits
- Welfare “reform” basically ended the welfare program as we knew it
- decline of the defined benefit pension plan for retirement

Maybe not all of those things can be laid at the feet of government, but people are not wrong to think that there is less of a safety net today, at least in some respects.

It would be kind of hard to weigh that against the cost of college, Medicare Part D, or the ACA. It really depends on what sort of support you need

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43966 on: September 24, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »
🤴

Brehvolution

« Reply #43967 on: September 24, 2019, 02:25:12 PM »
So it won't be declassified and will be redacted when shown behind closed doors.
©ZH

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #43968 on: September 24, 2019, 02:46:50 PM »
There have been literal decades of facts being publicized and given a national platform (Inconvenient Truth, hello?).  Politicians didn't give a shit.

If Obama had the economy that existed now back in 2008, he would've done something about it. The EPA had/has the power to regulate Co2 and Congress had the numbers to create some kind of bill. They just got cold feet because the recovery took so long and that Tea Party backlash was starting to build.

shosta

« Reply #43969 on: September 24, 2019, 02:58:49 PM »
If Obama had the economy that existed now back in 2008, he would've done something about it. The EPA had/has the power to regulate Co2 and Congress had the numbers to create some kind of bill. They just got cold feet because the recovery took so long and that Tea Party backlash was starting to build.
somehow I don't think unilaterally taxing carbon via the powers of the EPA would have gone over well for anyone involved with that decision
每天生气

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #43970 on: September 24, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
the real issue is some people care about the environment while other people don't give a shit
telling a bunch of borderline geriatrics that they must inconvenience themselves to make the world 50 years down the line less shit unsurprisingly flops

anthropocentric and no regard for anything other than the self, tragic  :usacry

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #43971 on: September 24, 2019, 03:28:14 PM »
I like people caring more about the environment, a slightly annoying kid to put up with isn't a steep price to pay for that.
My issue is some of these people are terrible for actually solving problems, see Era and god given right to use AC as much as I want, raising a stink is useful at least

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #43973 on: September 24, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
Trump is going to release the transcript.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1176559966024556544

Does he think his conversations are classified by default because he can declassify stuff on demand?

The ARRA was recovery efforts and simultaneously climate change curbing regulations.

FFS all of the shit the trump admin are taking down are actions that were date staged from the ARRA.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43974 on: September 24, 2019, 03:41:09 PM »
Do we even know for sure the whistleblower complaint Congress looks for is related to that Ukrainian call ? Unless I misunderstood, they're seeking access to the whistleblowing filings and the whistleblower identity so s/he can testify. Releasing the transcript, even if that's what it relates to, doesn't change that.
ὕβρις

benjipwns

« Reply #43975 on: September 24, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
Does he think his conversations are classified by default because he can declassify stuff on demand?
Sorry, the answer to that is CLASSIFIED.

shosta

« Reply #43976 on: September 24, 2019, 03:46:00 PM »
Do we even know for sure the whistleblower complaint Congress looks for is related to that Ukrainian call ? Unless I misunderstood, they're seeking access to the documents and the whistleblower identity so s/he can testify. Releasing the transcript, even if that's what it relates to, doesn't change that.
He would be testifying about the contents of the phonecall so just getting the transcript is a lot easier. Although this isn't about the one phonecall, it was multiple instances. So the whistleblower report is still important.
每天生气

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #43977 on: September 24, 2019, 04:23:41 PM »

The ARRA was recovery efforts and simultaneously climate change curbing regulations.

FFS all of the shit the trump admin are taking down are actions that were date staged from the ARRA.

??? Are you talking about subsidies for green tech and tax rebates for energy efficient appliances? 

That's not the same as actual regulations of existing industry and capping/taxing of GHG's

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #43978 on: September 24, 2019, 04:50:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/LizRNC/status/1176596704621211649

We can't beat him so we have to impeach.

:doge
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #43979 on: September 24, 2019, 04:54:54 PM »
somehow I don't think unilaterally taxing carbon via the powers of the EPA would have gone over well for anyone involved with that decision
It's not unilateral, Congress gave the EPA the power under the Clean Air Act. See Massachusetts v. EPA, also Utility Air Regulatory Group v. EPA where the Court held that the EPA could regulate CO2 if it was already regulating something for air pollution.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also Batman v. Superman where Batman held that "[Superman] has the power to wipe out the entire human race, and if we believe there's even a one percent chance that he is our enemy we have to take it as an absolute certainty."
[close]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:00:00 PM by benjipwns »