Author Topic: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense  (Read 102595 times)

Rahxephon91

Re: Holy Shit Death Stranding is beautiful nonsense
« Reply #900 on: January 05, 2020, 06:24:00 AM »
I enjoyed the boss fights because yeah they switched up things and pretty much ounce you have the blood powered guns everything is pretty easy and painless.

I do think the BT Spawn rate was rather annoying though. Reminded me of Far Cry 2's checkpoints.

Bebpo

« Reply #901 on: January 06, 2020, 03:07:49 AM »
Beat it. Damn that was a long ending.

I have some gripes about some of the bits in the end stuff & some story stuff, but damn, what a epic adventure journey. Can't remember the last game that felt like such a big long interesting journey. MGS3? Dark Souls? There has to have been stuff more recently. But a lot of it definitely gives me that epic MGS3 feels.

It's not as good as MGS3 (kojima's best game), and I think MGS1 is pretty much short and near-perfect, but I think Death Stranding is my 3rd favorite Kojima game and definitely the best thing he's done since MGS3. I'm glad he got off MGS/Konami because letting him do something else gave us a pretty cool game. Especially considering they did all this in like 3 years of Konami/Silent Hills collapsing. Hopefully they can pump out another original game like this in 3 years or less.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:01:23 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #902 on: January 06, 2020, 03:36:56 AM »
Things I liked about Death Stranding in the end:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
+NPC cast in the world and their emails and world building of people living in this interesting post death-stranding America
+Cliff's story was pretty good. Really should've been the main plot for Death Stranding in an MGS3 way because it gives MGS3 vibes pretty hard with The Boss/Big Boss getting fucked over by their country; Plus it had lots of Mads
+Passive multiplayer was AMAZING. Took what Souls has been doing to the next level.
+World level design is impeccable. Probably one of, if not, the best open world sandboxes in any open world game. You can tell nothing was auto-generated and they level designed the shit out of this map inch by inch for specific challenges for going through each area and for a lot of the 500+ missions. Feels alive and varied and going through a place on foot, with power skeletons, with bikes, with trucks, with ziplines is a totally different experience.
+The main campaign is fantastically paced. Like you're always moving forward into new areas with new physical challenges to get through, often new mechanics and split up by a just right pace of cutscenes that aren't too short or too long and are very entertaining. Also a real good length for a big epic journey feel. While it might not feel like you've walked across all of America, it feels like you went on a big journey.
+Probably the best damn motion capture to date. Combined with good voice acting and good Kojima direction, the cutscenes are the closest I've seen a video game storytelling come to TV shows. Character models were pretty amazing too.
+Overall visuals and art direction were insane. A++ there.
+Sound direction as well. I'd crank up my 5.1 system for this game and it used it like no game in a good while. Some of the sound effects like during the whiteouts and when the giant BT steps in at Edge Knot city are incredible. A++ here too.
+Building stuff was really satisfying!
+Coming up with delivery strategies was great. Really good original core gameplay.
+So many items! Lots of fun gadgets to play with.
+Lots of fun missions
+Shooting is pretty fun. Fun fighting mules, later on BTs and fun fighting Cliff's skeleton mercs.
+Human boss fights were good. I liked the Higgs fight though I wish it was a little more stealth based and you had to sneak up on him, The Cliff fights were fun and I didn't mind the giant BT ones because you had the option of running and that was more fun and faster and worked better. Platforming across the sea of buildings with giant whales was fun with speed skeleton in full dash and dash jumping
+Original music was great and licensed selection was fantastic. Loved the Low Roar stuff. Just wish you had a music player when out on the map.
+Oh and I love all the little animation touches. Like BB swimming in hot springs and all the animations of Sam in the private room. Those are the Kojima touches I expect in his games.
[close]

Things I didn't like
-Amelie was a terrible character and the whole story towards the end about extinction event nonsense that was really talky and blahhhh was giving me MGS4 vibes. The scenes on the red sea moon were especially awful ending stuff. And those first credits of having to sit and here bad monologue from her and then wait and then sit was testing my patience. I think the story would've been a lot better if they just cut her character and the story was just about re-connecting America + Cliff/Sam's story. They could have fleshed out Higgs out to be the main antagonist if they really needed a human one, but otherwise the BTs and ghost Cliff should've been enough. Basically I'm fine/like/enjoy the story stuff until Edge Knot City, but from there until the end of the first credits it's all kinda downhill. Luckily instead of ending on that, the game ends on Ch.14 Lou which is a pretty good solid ending, so was happy with the story in the end but they really should've cut out a lot or all of that Amelie stuff.

-The two giant BT fights sucked because they have so much goddamn health it's just bullet sponge fights of keep moving, keep getting more rockets and keep shooting for 5-10 mins until it's over. Once was enough. I was pretty pissed when the whale fight happened (I was already kinda annoyed in that last area that you couldn't fabricate anything and the BT bosses you already beat are back and you have to run from them again but while carrying cargo that can't be submerged), and I didn't expect SPACE WHALE to be the final boss of the game since I thought I was headed to the beach for the final confrontation. So long grindy space whale sucked. The one in Edge Knot is even worse because it's a small arena with a really tall enemy and the camera can't deal with keeping track of the ground level (items) while also the sky with raining jellyfish and the boss.

-Some of the grind to get stations online or stars up is kinda annoying and grindy. Like Veteran Porter sure takes a lot. Artifical caps until you sleep so even if you deliver stuff, the stars don't go up, is annoying.

very minor nitpicks:
-2 parts of the rebuilt roads go through BT territory and the car stops every time. Should've cut a clear route for the roads so that doesn't happen.
-Sometimes you just sorta stumble on nothing and then you crash into stuff and the baby cries and it's annoying :X
[close]

Overall I really liked it. I'd probably give it like a 9.5/10 overall for the main campaign and like I said earlier about an 8/10 for the side content. So maybe overall a 9/10. I definitely think it's one of the strongest AAA campaigns I've played in a game in a while (and usually sandbox games don't have great campaign; but the campaign was closer to MGS3 where it's non-linear way through a section but still very level designed vs. completely open like MGS5). As much as I love indie stuff, it's nice to play a big amazing visuals and music and VA and 5.1 adventure that's varied and satisfying because the budget is there. Probably my GoTY for 2019. Will look at all the games I played tomorrow and make my top 10 list and see if there was anything else I'd rate higher in 2019.

Also:

3.1% really surprised me. I feel like getting everyone on the UCA is like getting all the towers in an Ubi game and figured a lot of people do that stuff. But obviously not! I think I'd have expected somewhere between like 20-40%, then again my clear time was 65 hours so a lot of people probably didn't want to invest that much time into it.

Still probably gonna play it for a few more sessions and do some more missions and check out a few spots on the map I never checked out and tools I never played with. But pretty much done and satisfied  :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 04:01:00 AM by Bebpo »

Svejk

« Reply #903 on: January 06, 2020, 09:29:35 AM »
As much as I preached, "This will be Kojima unleashed!!1!1!", I couldn't help feel that he was still held back in certain ways.  Whether it was Sony, himself or whoever, it feels like he had to play it safe in certain ways.  I suppose I was so use to his flashes of Gore and more pervy instances.  I suppose it could be looked at being more refined.  I dunno.   Overall though, he pulled off something different (not sure about 'a whole new genre'), but unique enough to feel fresh and fun still.   I'm mostly glad that he seems to be moving onto another new IP.  Bring it, Kojima.

Bebpo

« Reply #904 on: January 06, 2020, 03:56:14 PM »
I don't really find DS safe at all. The game is very non-traditional and it shows in the reviews and sales probably aren't gonna be anywhere near MGS.
Also making a game not about shooting which turned off A LOT of people is ironic since by the second half or 3/4ths in it basically becomes an action game with

guns and cars and grenade/rocket launchers/tranq grenades and you can shoot down everything.
[close]

I think if it was like that from the start it would've reviewed and sold a lot better. But it would've taken away a ton from the game's progression of starting out on foot with just a backpack and a wobbly corpse and making it up the first mountain was a challenge. DS's progression slope of challenge & abilities is incredible. So I respect that the game is not safe.

I feel like this is gonna be a game that I miss as time goes on because it was so original and refreshing and nothing else like it. Feels like it'll be similar to Shadow of the Colossus where it's a cult classic that people always bring up. Just was an incredibly high budget AAA cult classic which is insane but props to Sony for funding it and letting Kojima do whatever he wanted.

No idea whether Sony will be willing to do that again if DS didn't light up the charts, so who knows what the next Kojima game will look like. But I sure hope they give him a blank check again.

Anyhow, I got back to the game because the gameplay is so damn fun and am 3/4th through building out my ziplines and 5-starring all the eastern map. They 5-star so freaking fast compared to the central map it's a breeze and a lot of fun, plus they're all so close to each other when you're ziplining. I've been unlocking a shitton of post-game interviews, so I gotta sit down and read them all since Kojima loves to pack half the story explanations and character motivations into text logs post-game. I have like 35 unread now since the last chapter of the story haha. Caught up on emails at least. Probably gonna keep playing until I 5-star everyone which isn't gonna take long from where I'm at.

paprikastaude

« Reply #905 on: January 06, 2020, 04:13:51 PM »
I wish it didn't even have the shooting parts that it did. Should've had more traversal challenge and tools instead of a gazillion weapons that you can't use most of the time.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #906 on: January 06, 2020, 11:24:31 PM »
I wish it didn't even have the shooting parts that it did. Should've had more traversal challenge and tools instead of a gazillion weapons that you can't use most of the time.

Which is a complaint about Mirror's Edge as well. It's almost as though gamers don't necessarily need to have shooting in every damned game.

Bebpo

« Reply #907 on: January 07, 2020, 12:59:28 AM »
Mirror's Edge is a really bad comparison to Death Stranding. ME is straight up a platformer with bad combat forced in. Death Stranding is an action adventure with stealth & combat pretty similar to the MGS series. Combat is fun and feels natural in DS. It's not a chore or pain like Mirror's Edge and at least in my experience never made me go "darn, I wish I was just hauling instead of shooting these mules". For BT's you can just go stealth route anyhow. I had a hard time seeing BTs even with BB at max connection. Usually by the time I could see them enough to shoot them they were already grabbing me and I couldn't shoot. But with stealth and cufflinks I got through all the BT stuff no problem.

Bebpo

« Reply #908 on: January 07, 2020, 01:03:57 AM »
Finally found the stats page 71 hours in  :lol
They really hid your stats well under bridge links.
Pretty impressive stat counting. Was cool seeing all my stuff there and some helpfulness in completing my 5-star and some trophies. Built 98 ziplines!

Also learned about Porter trading from looking through achievements. Neat. I really enjoyed the porters walking around picking up stuff on their own. Added a lot to the world feeling alive.
And learned about hard mode. Was wondering why I had 120+ S ranks but no legend of legends. Playing on hard now.

And I unlocked the I guess best weapon in the game?

The homing rocket launcher that shoots 4 at a time from Evo Devo Scientist at 4 stars
Would've been nice to have this for the 2 sponge BT HP bosses. Guessing instead of 10 mins of shooting at them, they'd go down in a few mins with this.

Used the rocket to murder a mule camp since I never killed anyone the whole game and wanted to see what happens. Lou died from sadness ;____;
[close]

Enjoyed the

Epilogue interviews for each character after the ending that you unlock doing runs in post-game.
[close]

Pretty ok with the story. Great game!

Would probably get my very first PS4 Platinum trophy but pretty sure one of the hidden trophies is gonna be those memory chips and that's one thing I'm not gonna go collect. Only found like 6/54 during my travels.

bluemax

« Reply #909 on: January 07, 2020, 01:39:25 AM »
Thinking about going back to this game just makes me tired. Playing it never felt fun, it always felt like work.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #910 on: January 08, 2020, 04:04:00 AM »
Man, I just found out Del Toro, Refn and all the preppers are dubbed by professional voice actors and I feel betrayed. I thought they did their voices! Thought Refn was a surprisingly good actor. The prepper's surprise me too. They had time to visual capture Edgar Wright by he can't record 20 lines of dialogue?

Bebpo

« Reply #911 on: January 08, 2020, 04:12:17 AM »
Thinking about going back to this game just makes me tired. Playing it never felt fun, it always felt like work.

:(

I can't relate to this at all. I get some people feel this way hence it being so polarizing, but can't relate. i guess it's like how some genre like rts and battle sims like total war aren't fun at all to me. Everyone enjoys different things.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #912 on: January 08, 2020, 05:05:29 AM »
gOOD GAME. rENEWED MY FAITH IN kojIMA!@

Svejk

« Reply #913 on: January 08, 2020, 07:37:29 AM »
Man, I just found out Del Toro, Refn and all the preppers are dubbed by professional voice actors and I feel betrayed. I thought they did their voices! Thought Refn was a surprisingly good actor. The prepper's surprise me too. They had time to visual capture Edgar Wright by he can't record 20 lines of dialogue?
Yeah, listening to DeadMan throughout the game, I was always thinking... "no... he doesn't speak English THAT well....".   Sure enough in the credits, different voice actor.   :yeshrug

paprikastaude

« Reply #914 on: January 08, 2020, 09:15:33 AM »
All his friend hologram cameos are dubbed too. Shockingly enough, Junji Ito probably isn't fluent in American English.  :doge

bluemax

« Reply #915 on: January 08, 2020, 10:58:28 PM »

:(

I can't relate to this at all. I get some people feel this way hence it being so polarizing, but can't relate. i guess it's like how some genre like rts and battle sims like total war aren't fun at all to me. Everyone enjoys different things.

For sure, I follow Kojima's english translated twitter and see all the times he retweets people saying how much they love this etc and I don't think negatively of these people. It's cool that they all found something that resonated so strongly with them.

One of my all time favorite games is an extremely polarizing game as well, so I feel it would be hypocritical as well.
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #916 on: January 08, 2020, 11:15:04 PM »
All his friend hologram cameos are dubbed too. Shockingly enough, Junji Ito probably isn't fluent in American English.  :doge

Neither is Geoff, I guess?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #917 on: January 08, 2020, 11:52:08 PM »
Yeah, listening to DeadMan throughout the game, I was always thinking... "no... he doesn't speak English THAT well....".   Sure enough in the credits, different voice actor.   :yeshrug

It is likely nothing to do with whether or not they can act well enough to be in a videogame and more about having time available to deal with story changes and being able to grab consistently sourced audio in the right environment at the right time: it's just scheduling.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #918 on: January 09, 2020, 12:11:36 AM »
I think Conan did his voice, but then again he did'nt have that much and he is'nt the one that really speaks at his bunker.

I think it is a mix of time and talent.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #919 on: January 10, 2020, 05:47:53 PM »
Why is this game so addictive, I’m saying to myself fuck you Kojima there’s no way I’m trekking back across this mountain range again when I’ve talked to mama you better jump me back, to gladly trekking across the mountains again :lawd
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #920 on: January 10, 2020, 06:36:32 PM »
I was reading that Shinkawa designed Chvrches costume for the live performance in the game awards. Pretty cool, Shinkawa is <3

Been listening to the soundtrack a lot since finishing it. Great stuff.
Also watched all the trailers since I never saw them. The final trailer is great but holy shit it spoils everything. Kojima been spoiling his games in trailers for years. One reason I stay in media blackout for them.

I think Conan did his voice, but then again he did'nt have that much and he is'nt the one that really speaks at his bunker.

I think it is a mix of time and talent.

I wonder if it's a guild thing too? Because Conan is an actor and all the actors that act are actors, but everyone else who makes an appearance but doesn't act like Geoff and the directors aren't actors.

But yeah, probably a timing thing. Though I can't imagine there's too many script change worries with the prepper stations since all they say is generic "thanks Sam!" and their actual conversations are in emails.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #921 on: January 10, 2020, 10:50:54 PM »
Sometimes I don't even think it's script changes and whatnot, but studio space, booking adr time, and having the audio professionals when recording happens, and rent time. People like Refen and Del Taro are probably pretty busy and schedules may not line up. For someone like Troy Baker this is his job and he's going to make time for an important gig.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

thisismyusername

« Reply #923 on: July 13, 2020, 10:28:49 PM »
Pre-loaded. :hyper

Time to see the train-wreck of Kojimbo's Magnum Opus for myself. :doge

BisMarckie

« Reply #924 on: July 13, 2020, 10:33:50 PM »
I don't think I ever hated playing a game more.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:24:49 AM by BisMarckie »

thetylerrob

« Reply #925 on: July 14, 2020, 02:37:39 AM »
I actually feel bad for you. I fuckin loved this game and I’ll probably buy it again.

Sending many likes to everyone  :)

El Babua

« Reply #926 on: July 14, 2020, 03:58:53 AM »
Will this game be a prelude of our dark future like MGS2 was?

I'll find out at 10 cause they decided that 12AM isn't the right time to unlock a year-old game on the day of its release smh

Rahxephon91

« Reply #927 on: July 14, 2020, 04:12:44 AM »
I mean we were relying heavily on transport men for everything for a few months.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #928 on: July 14, 2020, 06:16:06 AM »
Kojimbo, please do something colourful and cute you're our only hope. :doge
ὕβρις

Svejk

« Reply #929 on: July 14, 2020, 09:21:14 AM »
If I had a 21:9 monitor, I'd be all up in this game again.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #930 on: July 14, 2020, 11:52:56 AM »
I mean we were relying heavily on transport men for everything for a few months.
America still is cause we're run by evil fuckwits.
Hi

thisismyusername

« Reply #931 on: July 14, 2020, 12:28:02 PM »
Actual Spoilers for those that care
[close]

#MakeAmericaCremateAgain :doge

Opening is full of "what the fuck is going on :mindblown " with the "timefall, DOOM, CHIRAL!!!!!" terms going on. I don't think I've seen the codex yet and I'm set to deliver the above. So I guess I'll check the watch/handcuff thing later today to see if the codex is in there to explain some shit to me. But Kojima diving deep into the world without building it is a little  :doge for getting folks on-board.

I didn't mind the opening, but I can definitely see why it'll be divisive with folks. The delivery/balance mechanic is meant for you to take things "slow," and not just rush around and BIONIC PUNCH! like MGS6/Phantom Pain.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #932 on: July 14, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »
Im waiying for the denuvo free build to check it out but i might buy it on a sale if its any good
What

BisMarckie

« Reply #933 on: July 14, 2020, 03:54:27 PM »
Imstalling denuvo :nope

Installing rootkits by Russian crack groups :ohyeah

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #934 on: July 14, 2020, 04:58:46 PM »
I love them Ruskies, what can I say

What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #935 on: July 14, 2020, 04:59:06 PM »
Im waiying for the denuvo free build to check it out but i might buy it on a sale if its any good

Better put on some good coffee, if you plan to wait up.  ;)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #936 on: July 14, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »
Well I have RDR2 and it doesn't use that Denuvo sheit I believe.

There are still a bunch of D games uncracked tho
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #937 on: July 14, 2020, 07:06:27 PM »

PC version looks great, almost makes me want to pick it up, but it's better to wait for a sale.
🤴

BikeJesus

« Reply #938 on: July 14, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
Well I sank 8 hours into this today. Really enjoying it. I set up a button on my Steam Controller to be rapid fire for giving Likes, and can give almost 400 at once  :lol. Also set up a button to toggle both triggers to be held so I don't have to keep holding them manually. I work with my hands and holding the triggers hurts my fingers. Fucking love Steam Input.

Story is weird, as expected. Can't remember the last time I played for such a long period in one day.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:06:23 PM by BikeJesus »

thisismyusername

« Reply #939 on: July 14, 2020, 09:06:03 PM »
What's with all the loose cargo going to the places I just went to on the way to the place I'm going?  :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage :rage

Kojimaaaaaaa this backtracking... :maf :lol

I haven't gotten a five star yet. I'm still in the "tutorial" phase despite being in "Chapter Two"/scene 2.

I set up a button on my Steam Controller to be rapid fire for giving Likes, and can give almost 400 at once  :lol

How is that possible? I thought you could only give one like per thing? :doge

BikeJesus

« Reply #940 on: July 14, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
No, you can keep tapping the select button to give more likes as the little bar decreases. I set a button to turbo the select button while held to spam all the likes.

thetylerrob

« Reply #941 on: July 14, 2020, 09:19:21 PM »
Loose cargo is usually cargo that's been dropped by other players that didn't bother picking it up. I think in the tutorial starting areas they just spawn a bunch of it to teach you about it. There will be more and more ways to deal with this stuff later so don't get too bogged down backtracking the early deliveries.

thisismyusername

« Reply #942 on: July 15, 2020, 12:01:53 AM »
Who's a goddamn idiot?

I'm a goddamn idiot
[close]

Protip: Don't think "Oh, I can just overload my bike and myself, it'll be fine." 1) The bike slows down 2) You slow down. 3) You run into BT's and can't outrun them apparently (much to my dismay as I did that a few times)

Now I have a shit ton of cargo to haul back to the last "strand" for the first area and a BT area that completely fucks me over. :lol :lol :lol :lol :doge

Anyway: :bow Bridges people make. :bow2 :bow Generators :bow2 :bow Vehicles :bow2

thisismyusername

« Reply #943 on: July 15, 2020, 08:26:53 AM »
Reloaded a save like five points back because the game auto-saves at terminals or if you squat/rest. :doge

(Also the infamous PS4 save-file blowing up is in the PC version. Why doesn't the Decima engine/Kojima allow us to delete saves? I guess for recovery/screwing up purposes like mine but still... geez, I have saves going back yesterday morning)

Kojima!!!!

[close]

:beli Kojima...

(Norman or whoever they modeled the body on has no ass.)

Only on Master Race edition™
[close]

Finished the first actual boss of the game. The weapon combat so far is pretty wonky. I haven't gotten guns (which Kojima showed off in E3 demos?) yet, so the battle was "climb up and throw things at it" and then you pick up the "used" parts of it, but you can use those again even though I have a mountain of blood bags I haven't used. :doge :doge :doge :doge

So after the battle, recycled those. There's deliveries to do here but I dunno how beneficial it'd be to grind instead of going on the boat.

Also Pro-tip: Get the cities back online ASAP. It'll give you the bridges/etc. that people build. I didn't realize this slamming through the notifications until after I left the "network" area (going to the last point of the first area) that the builds don't reach past a certain point so I couldn't drive the Trike/Motorcycle up the mountain to the last area because it got extremely rocky and nobody had bridges up.

Which reminds me: Building is really awkward in regards to not being able to rotate and "ramp" things like the ladder or the bridges. The wind-farm is notable. I saw a bridge with a tree going through it, but you can't place a bridge to have the bike go down a "ramp"/slope to an easier area. So taking the bike through that area (so far) is really annoying.

I dunno if that's fixed on the PS4 version, but I do think Kojima and his team could make it a little easier to build things and have the "strands"/roads be better/continuous instead of these "gaps" where you're able to place a bridge but then you have to dodge rocks to get to the next one.

El Babua

« Reply #944 on: July 15, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
2 hrs in

The fact that Kojima convinced Sony to give him a blank check on this weird ass shit :rejoice

thisismyusername

« Reply #945 on: July 15, 2020, 10:15:37 PM »
I haven't bothered with using the materials and that's kind of biting me in the ass with the amounts I've got in private lockers. The second area introduces "roads" and I don't know where to get Cermics from. :doge

Bebpo

« Reply #946 on: July 15, 2020, 10:39:40 PM »
steal them from bases

thisismyusername

« Reply #947 on: July 16, 2020, 08:33:28 AM »
steal them from bases

:ohhh XL Cermics there.

80-100Kg weight. :beli

Built the first road in the PC version apparently, since none of the networks I put up had them until I did that. :beli

As soon as I did that, people started to build roads. :rejoice Being able to use the Exoskeleton on the road (but only on the "power strip" :beli ) :rejoice Free movement and very little having to shift.

Got the Trike/Bike blueprints so I can now fabricate the bike and no longer have to hoof it in this second area. :rejoice I might do a little more road building later on if folks don't do it for me.

I'm trying to figure out the best route for the

Sorta spoiler, I guess
pizza delivery
[close]

Since one of the requirements is "stays flat." So I'm sure climbing up a rope would utterly ruin that and nobody in the network so far has built a route or anything over that direction... So I might have to eat it and go scout that way before taking on the request.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:38:32 AM by thisismyusername »

Svejk

« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2020, 08:39:37 AM »
I swore I built the first road in the PS4 version, but I guess that's how it's progression is introduced.  :P  Y'all making me want to go back and see how much progress has happened since.

thisismyusername

« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2020, 08:59:29 AM »
Is it? Really weird to have bridges and ladders show up on the Network but not built roads for people to benefit from "those that came before." Until you do one yourself.

Svejk

« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2020, 09:21:58 AM »
Is it? Really weird to have bridges and ladders show up on the Network but not built roads for people to benefit from "those that came before." Until you do one yourself.
Yeah... not sure how that works, but that'd be too ironic if so. lol  And I wouldn't worry about finding stuff on building a trike, I think you repair your first one, but after that, just steal them or snag ones that people upload.  Stealing them though, you can store them in your garage for later....  if I remember correctly.

thisismyusername

« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2020, 09:31:00 AM »
Yeah, if you rest in your private quarters, it'll be put in the garage.

I'm not sure when the Corpse Disposal truck unlocks, as I see those in the bases but "LOCKED!" :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #952 on: July 16, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »
Sam Porter Bridges Pizza... is the pizza... for leveling up fast.

Bridge Grade went from like 4 to 32 just from a minute delivery via a bridge I built, a long-distance Bike/Tryke I built (since it's in no-mans land of no Networks/buildings) and getting there with it "flat" (though riding with a boost tilted it a little.  :doge)

Bebpo

« Reply #953 on: July 16, 2020, 08:22:16 PM »
fwiw the Pizza delivery missions are intentionally troll missions. The one from the farm....fffffuuuuu
This game is so satisfying though when you plan a great route and execute on it. Feel like a boss  8)

Wait until you get further. So much fun building routes.

My brother still hasn't played DS even though he likes MGS because he feels like it's going to be another one of those RDR2 kind of long ass cinematic story games and he finds those boring. I keep telling him that DS is like the exact opposite of that. DS is totally a gameplay af game.

thisismyusername

« Reply #954 on: July 16, 2020, 08:45:10 PM »
Apparently, you can't take the story missions from ANY terminal. It has to be the last one. So I left the Weather Station (after unlocking forecasting which seems useless right now since the rain seems scripted) to do some missions while going back to the main road (since nobody has built roads this far/deep).

*Spongebob THREE HOURS LATER...*

Lost my bike fording rivers (reloading like 5 times), lost it near the scripted BT segment since rocks mean I can't get a good road over there so I abandoned it. Hopefully it'll be there when I load back in, but I got some deliveries done and got the third level Exoskeleton so now I should probably craft level 2 and 3 just to have them in my armory since the level 1 has been doing some decent work with the bike on battery from the Network.

Most folks are helping. I've been getting a bunch of "materials put in your road" notifications and the like, which is good. But there's no roads past the three outposts right now. :rage

I just want to Tryke across the map at this point. If there's one thing I wish Kojima would update it's the bike speed on boost. It still feels a little "slow" to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #955 on: July 16, 2020, 09:26:19 PM »
Your complaints will be remedied later.

thisismyusername

« Reply #956 on: July 17, 2020, 12:18:36 AM »
I hope so, because boosting over gaps toward the Junk Dealer on the bigger battery bike was "whew" while MULES chased my ass. :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #957 on: July 17, 2020, 08:46:56 AM »
Born on a mountain, raised in a cave.
Truckin' and Building Roads, is what I crave.

Got roads built past the mid-way mark to the Distribution Center. Thanks... to nobody but me. :doge

Now I'm trying to build the road from the Distribution Center to the last link but the material costs skyrocket and I can't put in contracts for people to put the materials into the road. :doge :'( Time to hunt MULES, I guess... >:(

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #958 on: July 17, 2020, 10:26:27 PM »
I'll look forward to playing this once it's on megadiscount or PS+ and the surge of new players will make the landscape replete with bridges and stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #959 on: July 17, 2020, 11:36:30 PM »
I'll look forward to playing this once it's on megadiscount or PS+ and the surge of new players will make the landscape replete with bridges and stuff.

Has the game been on sale at all digitally on PS4? I keep checking every sale to tell my brother to finally buy it, but it never seems to be discounted at all.