Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
7 (13%)
Fuck off
4 (7.4%)
No one wants this shit
23 (42.6%)
Maybe
14 (25.9%)
Yes
6 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: VR  (Read 4752 times)

Bebpo

Re: VR
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2018, 03:28:05 AM »
I started playing this Astrobot VR thing everyone is raving about and it's pretty great. First VR anything that has kept my attention past 20 mins. Has that Locoroco Sony Japan Studio charm. Dunno if it's worth the hype but it's definitely a cool fun platformer so far.

Also finally tried Wipeout VR since I turned on my VR for the first time in like a year. Was kinda disappointing. Like yeah you can get all fast and motion sickness but even if you do that I never got the feeling of like being on a rollercoaster. Just feels like...Wipeout but with less visibility. Kinda cool for 15 mins but then was really over it and felt like shit oh well.

naff

• god is dead. satan lives. the year is 1.
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »
Picked up a PiMax 4k second hand for ~120USD  :gladbron

Seems the best headset right now for movies (until the 5k+/8k comes out). Mainly got it to showcase interactive vr films and other er content, but keen to see how the latest Il-2 and Elite play. Prob time to upgrade my card :'(
(_,_)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
You can go straight into HDMI on the Vive hardware, no such inputs exist on the Oculus rig.

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2018, 07:09:14 PM »
I switched totally to PC gaming VR, but there's some good deals for PSVR.
Hardware:
https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/campaigns/playstation-vr-anniversary-sale/
Software:
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-PSVRSALEG/1

Haven't played it on PSVR, but ZoE2 VR is like sex. :mouf Feels substantially different and "new" just being translated into VR.

No motion controls though, if you want that try Archangel.

Bebpo

« Reply #124 on: November 27, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »
Ok, Beat Saber is legit as hell. On the PSVR side I keep trying things and none of them are particularly fun and are games I'd play outside of VR.

Except Astrobot & Beat Saber (and that one new stage in Rez Infinite). These two games are both legit and I could play them for hours instead of wanting to ditch the headset after 10-15 mins (tried Moss tonight and it's so.slow and low res and low framerate maybe?; idk it hurt my head after like 15 mins and had to bail).

So the only thing about Beat Saber is I looked through the song list and there's only like 13 songs total in the game???? What. I'm used to Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Drummania/Taiko/Theatrythm music games with like 30-50 songs minimum. Feels like the game isn't gonna have a lot of life with only 13 tracks (and some of them aren't my thing).

So since Beat Saber is successful from what I understand across Steam and PSVR, I'm gonna assume they'll put out a sequel at some point with a much larger tracklist (and maybe some bigger artists?) I hope so. This is definitely the VR party game I'm gonna use to show off VR at this point.

TVC 15

• all the parties I go to are full of activists
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2018, 12:45:29 AM »
I play Beat Saber for like a half hour every morning at work. Great way to wake up.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2018, 12:59:09 AM »
Yeah, I did it for my pre-workout cardio tonight and it was great just like Rock Band drumming days, got a good sweat going. I miss drumming games....should hook up RB again at some point.

Bebpo

« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:34 AM »
Also just saw an article from 3 days ago saying they're doing 30 tracks as DLC in three packs of $10/10 songs with the first coming pretty soon. That's great. 30 more tracks will get it exactly where I want the tracklist to be.

Since I'm not super into EDM, I'm lame and would like it if they have some good licensed tracks. Like NIN tracks would work well in this.

Bebpo

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »
Got through all the base songs in Beat Saber on hard, tried expert but yeaaaaah that's too fast for my reflexes. Even on the slower modifier I can't move my wrists fast enough. I'm content replaying the songs on hard and improving scores until DLC arrives.

In campaign I'm stuck still back on Normal songs because the disappearing arrows modifier is bullshit and I can't play that way. Will never pass this part lol

Great game though. The feel of slashing is just right. Really good use of rumble in the sticks too.

213372bu

• My Phriend
« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2018, 02:24:32 AM »
Got through all the base songs in Beat Saber on hard, tried expert but yeaaaaah that's too fast for my reflexes. Even on the slower modifier I can't move my wrists fast enough. I'm content replaying the songs on hard and improving scores until DLC arrives.

In campaign I'm stuck still back on Normal songs because the disappearing arrows modifier is bullshit and I can't play that way. Will never pass this part lol

Great game though. The feel of slashing is just right. Really good use of rumble in the sticks too.
It's less coordination and accuracy, and more muscle memory of various motions. I found myself getting way better over sleep rather than long play sessions.

I'm equally thrown for a loop whenever some modder comes in with a song with their own weird interpretation quirks.

Bebpo

« Reply #130 on: December 26, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »
Played a couple hours of Tetris Effect. Actually prefer it without VR. The resolution feels really really low in VR and you'd think for Tetris it wouldn't matter but having the blocks not be crisp and sharp bothers me. I think I'd rather have Tetris Effect on a handheld like Luminous than VR.

Idk I'll give the VR another shot. I like the background effects, I just don't like how low rest the main play field is :|

Sho Nuff

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
Resolution in Tetris VR is so low it's baffling. I don't know why it looks so bad.

Bebpo

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
Yeah, I ended up preferring it in VR for the effects and larger board which is easier to see but idk why it's so low res. I popped in Beat Saber and just the text is so much sharper there.

Bebpo

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »
Anyone played From Software’s Deracine? I love weird artsy From Soft, but I also hate mediocre VR experiences that are ugly/drab/realistic and give me motion sickness so I’m hesistant to drop $30 on it. Would like some opinions.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2018, 11:17:30 PM »
I hear it's real mediocre. No free locomotion tho, teleport-only so you probably won't get sick. Play Invisible Hours instead, that's some next-level storytelling shit.

Bebpo

« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2018, 02:36:47 AM »
Well that sounds like a pass. Yeah I couldn't even get into Invisible Hours without it making me feel sick. The only VR games on PSVR I've been able to stomach have been bright colorful games like Astrobot/Beat Saber or Tetris (outside the low res). Non bright/colorful VR just doesn't sit right with me.

Bebpo

« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »
So I've actually been getting better at Beat Saber! I play like 4-5 songs a day. Got to the point where I got an A rank on all the songs on hard (including the 2 free DLC ones which feel like a halfway between hard and expert which was actually helpful) and then I gave expert another shot with the -30% speed and I realized that I could almost perfect run the songs on expert at -30% so I worked on the easiest songs in expert at full speed and I'm actually passing them! Now I'm still making mistakes when they throw strange arrangements or when you have to move up/down/up/down super fast in a row but I'm starting to at least get B rank passes on expert and it feels good getting past that barrier.

I think the biggest help was just after playing enough I don't think anymore when I see the arrows, I just react instantly because I'm so used to it. Which is also why I get thrown off by new patterns since I have to stop and think about them and can't do them on instant reaction. Like I even went back to the campaign where I was stuck at disappearing arrows (which is still bullshit) but somehow I was able to handle it now and got further in the campaign too.

This is cool because some music games I hit a wall and I just cannot ever get through it. Like Theatrhythm I can't do the highest difficulty, the jump is just too much whereas the one before its too easy and I perfect like every song so it's kinda boring.

Anyhow still waiting for that first 10 song paid DLC pack that was supposed to come by the end of 2018 (now early 2019 ETA). I really love this game and it's not only my favorite VR title but my favorite music game in a while. I just need more tracks!!

I'm hoping the big success of this game (I mean the dev has to be getting $$$$$$$$ since it's successful across platforms) will lead to a commercial publisher funded sequel with 100s of songs including a good portion being licensed tracks like Rock Band. The starting tracklist has grown on me, but out of the now about 15 songs I probably only like about half.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:41 PM »
Resolution in Tetris VR is so low it's baffling. I don't know why it looks so bad.

It's Tetris, it's supposed to be blocky.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:ohyou

Akala

• VEGAS
« Reply #138 on: January 03, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
I want someone I know to get Ace Combat 7 and that HORI controller.  :'(
Aka

Svejk

« Reply #139 on: January 03, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »
I'd Day 1 AC7 if it were entirely playable in VR.  Kinda disappointing that they didn't pull that off like RE7 did.  Will wait till it goes on sale.

What baffles me, is how Mirror's Edge has not been ported to PSVR yet... wtf

Don Rumata

« Reply #140 on: January 03, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »
I'm getting AC7 on d1 (well i already bought it actually) on PC, i've been waiting for a new (proper) Ace Combat for years, but i hope someone can mode the VR mode in somehow.
They did it with other games after all.

Akala

• VEGAS
« Reply #141 on: January 03, 2019, 05:40:10 PM »
I thought it was RE7 situation, it's just a mode? That's super disappointing :-\

Ace Combat 7's VR consists of three side missions (multiple difficulties and ranks and rewards for some small replayability), Free Flight where you can fly around those mission areas freely without any enemies, a hangar where you can view the four VR aircraft in their glory, and an Airshow Mode where you stand on an aircraft carrier and direct a squadron of F-18s to perform an airshow.
Aka

Don Rumata

« Reply #142 on: January 03, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
I thought it was RE7 situation, it's just a mode? That's super disappointing :-\

Ace Combat 7's VR consists of three side missions (multiple difficulties and ranks and rewards for some small replayability), Free Flight where you can fly around those mission areas freely without any enemies, a hangar where you can view the four VR aircraft in their glory, and an Airshow Mode where you stand on an aircraft carrier and direct a squadron of F-18s to perform an airshow.
It was at some point, but they scaled it back, I think.