Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
8 (12.3%)
Fuck off
4 (6.2%)
No one wants this shit
23 (35.4%)
Maybe
17 (26.2%)
Yes
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: VR Thread  (Read 80454 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: VR Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 14, 2019, 01:24:40 PM »
I was close to buying a VR kit this year, especially when Half Life was announced but I expect the VR brands will capitalize on Half Life with maybe a few price drops and perhaps some new slightly upgraded models so I'm in a holding pattern for now.
🤴

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #361 on: December 14, 2019, 02:50:46 PM »
So I just realized my GPU has one HDMI out, which I am using on my TV, and three (3!!!) displayport outs, which I am not using at all and who the fuck has three displayport devices. The Odyssey+ requires an HDMI port. So now I have to buy an adapter. My question is, do I run the displayport adapter to the headset, or do I run it to the TV? Which makes the most sense? And can anyone suggest a good low-priced displayport to HDMI adapter?
sup

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #362 on: December 15, 2019, 03:52:07 PM »
you def want to use an adapter with a good chipset. also, the cable out to the odyssey + will have more torque on it so i'd go with the standard cable there and adapter for the tv.
◕‿◕

bluemax

« Reply #363 on: December 16, 2019, 03:25:52 AM »
Is Index different than Vive?

I haven't seen anyone sane recommend one as a purchase at this time. It's gonna be awhile before very many games really take advantage of that hardware as well.
NO

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #364 on: December 16, 2019, 03:44:52 AM »
Fidelity in the Index is very, VERY good. Knuckles controllers are kind of bizarro and are a crapshoot as far as support is concerned. Still think the Oculus controllers are the best.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #365 on: December 16, 2019, 09:41:01 PM »
Okay, this piece of shit doesn't work. I'm getting no picture whatsoever in the headset, just a blinking green light. WMR Portal is installed, it did all the updates. On my TV the display is showing it tracking, and the headset itself is warm so I guess it's getting power from the USB 3.0 port, but nothing. I'm at a loss. I don't know what else to do other than throw it back in the box and send it back to Amazon. I should have known better than to buy this. Even fucking Microsoft doesn't give a shit about Windows Mixed Reality anymore.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 09:45:22 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Sho Nuff

« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2019, 09:45:09 PM »
Had no idea Windows MR was so bad, you might wanna dunk that back to Amazon  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #367 on: December 16, 2019, 10:02:25 PM »
So Beat Saber added a 90 degree mode and Green Day (newer Green Day, not old classic stuff) pack. I tried 90 degree mode and did a few tracks and idk feels pretty gimmicky for a music game. Maybe the 360 degree mode on Quest would be cool, but even just moving around in 90 degrees made me kinda dizzy so I'm not so sure about 360. Would rather they just focus on more frequent song packs like Rock Band DLC.

Fidelity in the Index is very, VERY good. Knuckles controllers are kind of bizarro and are a crapshoot as far as support is concerned. Still think the Oculus controllers are the best.

Hmmm, yeah the controllers look kinda weird to me.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #368 on: December 16, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
I'm just going to get a rift. Fucking furious that I wasted my entire evening trying to get this headset working. There's a reason this trash got the price slashed.
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #369 on: December 17, 2019, 12:15:03 AM »
That sucks :(

bluemax

« Reply #370 on: December 18, 2019, 12:10:22 AM »
NO

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #371 on: December 18, 2019, 08:38:24 AM »
what a shock, starting with the game that tells you up front "this is a game for experienced vr players only" ends poorly for non-experienced vr players.

oculus has it right by including a comfort rating on the store page. not sure why no other storefront does that.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #372 on: December 18, 2019, 09:24:35 AM »
OK, my boss gave me his Knuckles controls to mess with so I just bought Boneworks, so I'm setting up my VR room to have as much space as possible. I'm going in, if I'm not back in 4 hours call the popo

Sho Nuff

« Reply #373 on: December 18, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »
Your refund request has been received by Steam!
We're reviewing your refund request and will get back to you as soon as possible.

BONEWORKS
Purchased: Dec 18 PST
Refund request: $33.02 to your MasterCard

Bebpo

« Reply #374 on: December 18, 2019, 01:17:02 PM »
We're reviewing your refund request and will get back to you as soon as possible.

BONEWORKS

lololol

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #375 on: December 18, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
Wasn't Eel having legendary PC problems in the past like in 2010s?

You got bad karma dude. The PC gods just hate you for no reason :cry
Nah, my PC back then was fine other than a blown power supply. I just get unlucky with electronics. Digging around on the internet I see my problem with the Samsung Odyssey is pretty common, it's very finicky with ports. From what I read it goes out a lot and people end up reinstalling windows to get it to work again. Fuck all that. I just don't have the time or energy to mess with it anymore. Boxed it up and am shipping it back when I get the chance this weekend. Already ordered a Rift S from Walmart, they had them in stock this morning.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #376 on: December 18, 2019, 06:40:37 PM »
On a related note, if I have to fiddle with a bunch of system shit to get Oculus working, like buying adapters and USB hubs and shit or deep diving into windows files, that's going back, too. I'll just stick with my psvr at that point. You don't have to do shit with that except plug it in.
sup

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #377 on: December 18, 2019, 06:52:35 PM »
i think the rift comes with all the cables and hookups you'll need. to do quest on pc you need a long usb cable or a shorter one and an extension but i got mine for like $20, even though the "official" cable will be $80 :lol

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #378 on: December 18, 2019, 07:01:33 PM »

BONEWORKS

"you just need to get your VR LEGS"

sho nuff:

◕‿◕

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #379 on: December 18, 2019, 07:03:49 PM »
Tbh having to buy a displayport to HDMI adapter for my TV didn't bother me as much as people telling me to reinstall Windows. At that point I was already packing it back up  :lol
sup

kingv

« Reply #380 on: December 18, 2019, 08:21:27 PM »
This Boneworks game sounds a hell of a lot like Jurassic Park Trespasser

Sho Nuff

« Reply #381 on: December 19, 2019, 12:32:06 AM »
Boneworks is Trespasser 2.0; I couldn't get out of the tutorial map. The game is super fucked and unplayable with any controller (esp the Knuckles)

RyoonZ

« Reply #382 on: December 19, 2019, 04:19:21 AM »
Got PSVR recently and played some games like Concrete Genie. Tries some demo like Mash Kyrielight and Hillary Utada Kingdom Hearts concert. It's pretty cool but I got headache and felt nauseous after only half an hour. I felt that when I first played FPS games when I was a kid but not anymore after a while. Do we build endurance the more we play with VR?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #383 on: December 19, 2019, 04:43:50 AM »
Yeah, it gets way better over time. I felt horfy at first but then wound up doing like a hundred hours in Skyrim VR.

Just got Fallout 4 VR too and a new GPU...uh oh

Coax

« Reply #384 on: December 19, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »
HL Alyx played for 3-4 hours and tested on different headsets with the current build. Said to be about a 15 hour game which surprised me.

Start of individual comparisons at 10m.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #385 on: December 19, 2019, 10:48:00 AM »
Official Quest Link cable is out today. It's USB 3.2 C to C so there's potential for it to be better than the third party solutions eventually but not any time soon. For now a 3.1 cable for 1/4 the price does the work just fine.

https://www.oculus.com/quest/accessories/?locale=en_US

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #386 on: December 19, 2019, 01:12:08 PM »
I'm probably picking up FO4 VR during the winter sale. I already own The Forest, that's in VR now. Any other cheap(ish) games I should be on the lookout for, assuming the Oculus works when it gets here?
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #387 on: December 19, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »
dp
sup

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #388 on: December 19, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
Superhot and Beat Saber I always recommend cause they are fun for every level of VR comfort. Pistol Whip is a fun and kind of a more actiony version of Beat Saber. No Man's Sky has much improved and imo is a good cockpit style VR game you can use to get your VR legs going if needed.

Sairento is probably the most fun of the shooting gallery games. Budget Cuts is fun and really immersive VR game if you dont mind crawling around on the floor and have a good sized play area.

Lone Echo is Oculus store exclusive but its probably my favorite VR game I've played so far. Really cool, immersive world and gives a good feeling of zero G with excellent storytelling too. But its got a bit of a comfort/nausea barrier so be warned.

Asgard’s Wrath is also Oculus exclusive but a fun actiony RPG that really feels tight and made for VR.

Another good thing to note is both Steam and Oculus store have a good "no questions" refund policy that is the best thing for VR. Don't be scared to try something out cause both stores let you refund anything within 14 days/2 hours played.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:30:50 PM by nachobro »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #389 on: December 19, 2019, 01:36:57 PM »
Same idea as "sea legs"/"boat legs", just means a tolerance for the discordant feeling you can get when in VR from you seeing your body moving but its actually standing still irl. Your brain/inner ear usually isn't a big fan of you thinking your body is moving around when it isn't and some people will get motion sickness from it (nausea, cold sweat, headache).

So there's "baby" VR games you can play to get yourself a tolerance to VR build up, or "vr legs". It's important that no matter the level of game you stop as soon as you can when/if you start to feel sick, simply because continuing on will always make it worse. Most people can't "push past" VR sickness cause it's your body sending alarms that something is wrong and those will only get stronger the more you continue.

And of course some people never get motion sickness and some never are able to not be motion sick, so it's different per person.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:42:20 PM by nachobro »

Bebpo

« Reply #390 on: December 19, 2019, 02:08:44 PM »
Got PSVR recently and played some games like Concrete Genie. Tries some demo like Mash Kyrielight and Hillary Utada Kingdom Hearts concert. It's pretty cool but I got headache and felt nauseous after only half an hour. I felt that when I first played FPS games when I was a kid but not anymore after a while. Do we build endurance the more we play with VR?

Since you got PSVR, the best 2 games imo are easily Astrobot and Beat Saber. Everything else I've played/tried has been either bad, or just ok. But those two are system seller quality. I can see Superhot being great, but I already beat it in non-VR and not that excited to double dip to play it in VR. Oh and if you want something scary, Five Nights at Freddy's Remake is pretty great on PSVR. Still haven't gotten past the first game because game #2 is fucking creepy.

I still gotta play Concrete Genie and Ghost Giant.

Another good thing to note is both Steam and Oculus store have a good "no questions" refund policy that is the best thing for VR. Don't be scared to try something out cause both stores let you refund anything within 14 days/2 hours played.

Good point. I'd have returned 75% of the PSVR games I've tried if this was the case haha.

Bebpo

« Reply #391 on: December 19, 2019, 02:11:46 PM »
No Man's Sky has much improved and imo is a good cockpit style VR game you can use to get your VR legs going if needed.

I'm tempted to pick this up on PSVR but just worried the graphics are gonna look like shit in PSVR res and won't enjoy it. Game is colorful but it doesn't have that really simple VR visual style that works in the low res PSVR.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #392 on: December 19, 2019, 04:14:25 PM »
Thanks, all. I've had a PSVR for a while so I've already got NMS and Superhot. I'll look into Pistol Whip and Asgard's Wrath. Really looking forward to Respawn's Medal of Honor VR reboot on Oculus.

I've never really had a problem with getting queasy playing PSVR. I used to work on my dad's shrimp boat during the summers when I was a kid, so I was already used to swaying back and forth for long periods of time - guess that helped? There's only one VR game that's ever made me legitimately sick, and that was Here They Lie. It doesn't seem like the type of game that would do it, but my stomach started doing flip flops about a half hour in. It was a free PS+ game, so no big deal, but I stayed nauseous for an hour or so after.
sup

Svejk

« Reply #393 on: December 19, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »
RE7, Wipeout Collection and Ace Combat 7 (the so few VR missions) are all quality on PSVR.  The latter two would require some legs though, although being smooth.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #394 on: December 19, 2019, 07:02:31 PM »
finally figured out how to update my modded beat saber and played the 360 degree levels. that shit is intense! i didn't think it'd be that different but i was turning and moving all over the place :lol

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #395 on: December 19, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »
Next question: what's some good VR stuff that isn't video games? I figure with it being PC there'll be a lot more non-video game stuff to do/watch than on PSVR.
sup

Sho Nuff

« Reply #396 on: December 19, 2019, 09:54:52 PM »
Google Earth is the shit

bluemax

« Reply #397 on: December 19, 2019, 11:54:27 PM »

You probably missed out on the free trial, but Firewall Zero Hour is (in my biased opinion), the most fully fleshed out multiplayer game on PSVR. There's still a sizable community that plays regularly as well. It's only $20 as well. It doesn't really have much in the way of single player (a tutorial level and the option to play all the maps versus AI), so if you're not into multiplayer it probably isn't as desirable.

Next question: what's some good VR stuff that isn't video games? I figure with it being PC there'll be a lot more non-video game stuff to do/watch than on PSVR.

If you're into space stuff, check out Mission:ISS, I believe it is still free.

NO

kingv

« Reply #398 on: December 20, 2019, 12:10:46 AM »
RE7, Wipeout Collection and Ace Combat 7 (the so few VR missions) are all quality on PSVR.  The latter two would require some legs though, although being smooth.

Ace combat 7 blew my mind in VR. It really felt awesome, though I had to sit down on the floor in a bean bag and still felt dizzy. The 3D effect is really cool in that game.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #399 on: December 20, 2019, 08:28:51 AM »
Dirt Rally is a fun one to play in VR on PC and a game that most people have as well. I've heard it can cause motion sickness but I felt fine for it and I'm usually a bit more sensitive.

If you like NBA, theres an app called Next VR where they show NBA games live in VR with courtside seats. It was kinda cool but I dunno if I could watch a whole game like that.  Quest has a National Geographic app that show off some really cool shit like Machu Picchu and Antarctica and some other cool flyovers and walk around experiences. Not sure if that is on Rift but it's pretty cool.

Tasty

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #401 on: December 20, 2019, 05:28:45 PM »
Okay, just got the Oculus Rift S in and set it up. That was pretty easy, considering what happened with the Odyssey. At first I thought it was gonna dick up on me, but I just had to download a bunch (I need to stress here, five total) firmware and software updates. So far, and I've just been playing around in Home, it's pretty damned cool. Full impressions later after I try out some games.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #402 on: December 20, 2019, 05:37:47 PM »
Oh, one thing I will tell you, in case you get one over the holidays: LOWER YOUR DESKTOP RESOLUTION.  They don't tell you this anywhere, and it should be obvious, but I didn't even think about it so at first everything was set to low and looked like PSVR. As soon as I dropped the desktop to 1080p everything immediately kicked into High Quality and cleared right up. Just remember you're driving two monitors and unless you have some sort of Linus Tech Tips monster PC you're not going to get 4k on the big screen and high settings in the Oculus at the same time. Honestly I wish you could just turn off output to the monitor altogether while you're playing.
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #403 on: December 20, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
Dirt Rally is a fun one to play in VR on PC and a game that most people have as well. I've heard it can cause motion sickness but I felt fine for it and I'm usually a bit more sensitive.

If you like NBA, theres an app called Next VR where they show NBA games live in VR with courtside seats. It was kinda cool but I dunno if I could watch a whole game like that.  Quest has a National Geographic app that show off some really cool shit like Machu Picchu and Antarctica and some other cool flyovers and walk around experiences. Not sure if that is on Rift but it's pretty cool.

Yeah, Dirt Rally is actually really good and I'd put it up with the top5 or so VR titles. I wish it didn't look so much like a PS2/PS3 game on PSVR but I drive much better and it's really immersive in VR. Every other driving game I've played in VR has just felt more limited view and meh, but being able to see into turns with Rally is really helpful.

Svejk

« Reply #404 on: December 20, 2019, 05:48:16 PM »
Well shit... I love rally games.. Sounds like I need to pick that up.

Edit: FnA... On sale for $10 on PSN.  Fuckin bought, son.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #405 on: December 20, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »
cdkeys has Fallout VR for $10.49. Supposedly you can import the DLC from Fallout 4 and get that in VR (but it's buggy). They have Fallout 4 GOTY for $13.19
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #406 on: December 21, 2019, 07:29:43 PM »
Anyone play the Serious Sam VR versions?
sup

Svejk

« Reply #407 on: December 25, 2019, 06:17:28 PM »
Had some games lined up to play over the holiday, but I've had a horrible crick in my neck the past week and half and can barely turn my neck.   :'(

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #408 on: December 25, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »
Anyone play the Serious Sam VR versions?

They're okay, movement controls are a little busted but the shooting is fine. It's $15 right now on Steam for the whole SS VR collection.

Oh, Sports Bar sucks.  Any game where you have to drag the fucking floor to fine tune movement is trash. Let me just walk around the pool table, assholes.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #409 on: December 25, 2019, 10:12:45 PM »
Oh, and I had Skyrim on PSVR, but $18 and mods tipped me over. It already looks much better than the PSVR version just on vanilla settings. I really hope Sony does an upgraded PSVR headset and controls with PS5.
sup

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #410 on: December 26, 2019, 05:27:06 PM »
Oculus Link came in! Won’t get to try it today tho
serge

TVC15

« Reply #411 on: December 26, 2019, 05:33:25 PM »
You’ll be happy to know it comes with a clip thing for the side.

serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #412 on: December 26, 2019, 06:51:54 PM »
:lol definitely worth $80 with the clip now! i just use a couple velcro wire ties but whatever works.

did you end up getting that cable+adapter i linked before? would be curious to see how it compares to the official cable

TVC15

« Reply #413 on: December 26, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »
It’s definitely thinner and more flexible. I’ll see if I’m up for giving it a spin later but it really depends on what I eat tonight. Lol VR
serge

TVC15

« Reply #414 on: December 28, 2019, 04:03:45 AM »
Link works great. I played for about an hour, and the battery was at 96% when I was done. I’m not sure what it was at when I started, but it was definitely not a full charge, so the cable is charging. Much less drag than that heavy extension cable. It’s kind of amusing how reducing the weight of a cable by a few ounces makes a big difference.

But really, playing Rift games like Lone Echo now, all I can think about is how I want it to be wireless. Movement is so free, but you’re aware of that damn cable being there the whole time. The Quest really spoils you in that regard.

I’m also digging the option for auto-switching between controllers and hand controls. It’s cool to put on the headset and do your setup shit before having to even pick up the controllers. It feels a bit hacky at times but it works. It feels like something unplanned that they figured out they could do somewhere along the line.

Oh, one little caveat on the clip that comes with it: it clips the cable -really- tight. When I took it off, there was noticeable wear on the cable, so I’m going to recommend not using the clip that comes with it. It felt bad stuffing the cable into it, too. It’s not really all that useful anyway. It needs to be further back or something.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:28:35 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

Svejk

« Reply #415 on: December 28, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
Played some more Skyrim and tried out Dirt Rally last night.  Dirt Rally in VR is the shit.  Totally the way the game should be played.

TVC15

« Reply #416 on: December 28, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
Been playing The Climb a lot. That’s one of my favorites, and there’s a lot they can do with a sequel or add-ons.

Also, from the hour or so I played of Boneworks, I really really like its default snap turning.

Boneworks made a really good first impression in general. I’m pretty used to the types of wacky IK shit and physics weirdness from fucking around with samples and demos and shit, so I think I might have tolerance for a lot of the issues reviews have had.

The big negative early on is that there’s really no way to know the weight of something by looking at it. There were a few times where I went to grab something that appeared light only to be mistaken. It’s not a big deal and hasn’t affected the game, just one of those VR weirdness things that I’m not sure could ever be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 04:05:08 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

RyoonZ

« Reply #417 on: December 28, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »
Oh man it turns out I didn't set up the eye calibration thing. I didn't feel as nausea as before.

Since you got PSVR, the best 2 games imo are easily Astrobot and Beat Saber. Everything else I've played/tried has been either bad, or just ok. But those two are system seller quality. I can see Superhot being great, but I already beat it in non-VR and not that excited to double dip to play it in VR. Oh and if you want something scary, Five Nights at Freddy's Remake is pretty great on PSVR. Still haven't gotten past the first game because game #2 is fucking creepy.

I still gotta play Concrete Genie and Ghost Giant.

Good point. I'd have returned 75% of the PSVR games I've tried if this was the case haha.

Oh I got Astro Bot. How long was the game? Summer Lesson is the reason I bought PSVR, it's pretty meh lol. The VR stuff in Concrete Genie is more like demo experience for about an hour. The main game is pretty original though, one of the more surprising game, I was skeptical when it was announced.

TVC15

« Reply #418 on: December 28, 2019, 10:33:41 PM »
Hey bebp, if nobody already pointed it out: Superhot VR is mostly new levels made for VR, so it’s not really double dipping. It is kinda short but I still think it’s worth a buy if you dug the original. It’s a good game to show off to newbs, too.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #419 on: December 28, 2019, 11:22:21 PM »
Hey bebp, if nobody already pointed it out: Superhot VR is mostly new levels made for VR, so it’s not really double dipping. It is kinda short but I still think it’s worth a buy if you dug the original. It’s a good game to show off to newbs, too.

Didn't realize that. Neat. Will have to pick it up and try it at some point.