Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
8 (12.3%)
Fuck off
4 (6.2%)
No one wants this shit
23 (35.4%)
Maybe
17 (26.2%)
Yes
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: VR Thread  (Read 80763 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: VR Thread
« Reply #300 on: November 26, 2019, 03:32:19 AM »
Oh shit, that reminds me, I can try out Quake II with ray tracing. Not VR but still should be cool.
serge

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #301 on: November 26, 2019, 05:18:17 AM »
RT Quake 2 is pretty neat, you can really tell it works when there are moving lightsources throwing crazy shadows everywhere

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #302 on: November 26, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
Oh shit, that reminds me, I can try out Quake II with ray tracing. Not VR but still should be cool.
the vr version of 2 comes out today, you can sideload it on quest.

I wonder how much of it is your head differentiating between walking and driving?
no idea what it's breaking in my brain, but the game is SO FAST that it's impossible to track anything. peeking around corners and aiming the gun feels really cool but just walking around and attempting a strafe jump was pretty awful. :lol lasted under 10 minutes before i HAD to take it off

also there's zero comfort options, so that doesn't help. supposedly quake 2 will be a bit better in that regard.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:33:36 AM by nachobro »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #303 on: November 26, 2019, 08:35:55 AM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #304 on: November 26, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #305 on: November 26, 2019, 06:30:42 PM »
hopefully they pour money into it and get some better music packs
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #306 on: November 26, 2019, 08:47:18 PM »
They need to come up with some way import your own tunes on the real tip.  Waaaay to picky about muh tehknoze.

Beezy

« Reply #307 on: November 27, 2019, 03:52:28 AM »
https://vrzone-pic.com/shinjuku/en/

Look at all the VR experiences they had.

They closed in March of this year  :'(
I loved the Mario Kart, Evangelion, Horror Room, Ghost in the Shell (this one had you physically walking around an actual space while wearing full body VR equipment, amazing) ones when I visited last year. :(

Bebpo

« Reply #308 on: November 27, 2019, 03:23:02 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #309 on: November 27, 2019, 03:31:46 PM »
https://vrzone-pic.com/shinjuku/en/

Look at all the VR experiences they had.

They closed in March of this year  :'(
I loved the Mario Kart, Evangelion, Horror Room, Ghost in the Shell (this one had you physically walking around an actual space while wearing full body VR equipment, amazing) ones when I visited last year. :(

Eva VR :rkelly

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #310 on: November 27, 2019, 03:33:09 PM »
On a related note, goddamn it is easy to setup custom songs on Beat Saber for Quest. Sideload a mod and then you can just "bookmark" the tracks you want on any device and they'll sync to the Quest

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #311 on: November 27, 2019, 05:03:01 PM »
I'll wait, I'm hoping Half-Life Alyx spurs some headset manufacturers into permanently dropping prices so I can snag one on the cheap next year.
sup

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2019, 05:04:50 AM »
Pistol Whip is pretty sweet

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #313 on: November 30, 2019, 01:37:53 PM »
TVC was fully correct...Superhot without wires is the next level of video games

naff

« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »
ugh, yeah I love it. would jump at the chance to buy some dlc. been enjoying pistol whip, but superhot is still something else.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #315 on: December 01, 2019, 04:29:05 AM »

available in a few days! :whew

one of the first VR games i loved. climbing is also one of the funnier things to watch people do in VR  :lol
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

« Reply #316 on: December 01, 2019, 06:54:50 AM »
I'm playing BUDGET CUTS in the Vive, this shit is almost Valve-level in terms of its mechanics. Inventory system is a little hard to use however.

No idea how they're going to do this on ps4, they're basically quadruple rendering with the portal mechanic.

Bebpo

« Reply #317 on: December 01, 2019, 10:47:26 AM »
The songs in this Rocket League pack for Beat Saber aren't very good  :doge

Coax

« Reply #318 on: December 01, 2019, 10:59:14 AM »
one of the first VR games i loved. climbing is also one of the funnier things to watch people do in VR  :lol

The thing I wondered about when watching that is how one's mind is processing the illusion of high visuals (particularly rope suspension) vs the reality of being firmly on the ground IRL. Sounds like it's fairly effective though?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #319 on: December 01, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »
Picked up Lone Echo for $25, lots of people saying this is the VR title right now so I'll give it a shot, probably next week. Had way too much to drink last night so the idea of VR isn't exactly appealing atm

bluemax

« Reply #320 on: December 01, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1199436665808289792

this probably does not bode well

Facebook is definitely trying to outspend everyone else in terms of VR right now. They absolutely want to control the VR industry within the next couple of years.

I can think of two places that would probably loooove for FB to make them offers. But both places have likely made significantly less money while spending way more on development than the Beat Saber team.

Another name that popped into my head just now is Squanch, I could see them being open to acquisition as well.
NO

naff

« Reply #321 on: December 01, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »

The thing I wondered about when watching that is how one's mind is processing the illusion of high visuals (particularly rope suspension) vs the reality of being firmly on the ground IRL. Sounds like it's fairly effective though?

at first it's kinda scary. one of the first VR experiences i had was basically a suicide simulator where you were standing on a roof and if you stepped over the edge you'd fall into the pavement. the first time i was tentative about stepping over the edge despite knowing my feet were on the ground, then it just became fun. it's like anything in VR, you know it's not there but it's immersive enough your brain still reacts to it in a similar way but you're distanced enough it's still just fun and not too stressful.
◕‿◕

kingv

« Reply #322 on: December 02, 2019, 07:37:17 AM »

Facebook is definitely trying to outspend everyone else in terms of VR right now. They absolutely want to control the VR industry within the next couple of years.

I can think of two places that would probably loooove for FB to make them offers. But both places have likely made significantly less money while spending way more on development than the Beat Saber team.

Another name that popped into my head just now is Squanch, I could see them being open to acquisition as well.

Beat saber is one of the more successful VR games, and it sold 100K copies in the first month. That’s not nothing, but makes me think VR games sales are largely kind of small in general.

Getting acquired probably seems like the best outcome for a lot of companies in that environment. I kind of don’t like the idea of FB controlling VR, but the quest is the closest thing to a game changer for VR that there is, IMO so it’s not surprising to me if they are gaining market share.

Bebpo

« Reply #323 on: December 02, 2019, 09:11:10 PM »
So my PSVR died I think  :(

Basically after a couple mins play the headset turns off and the screen says to make sure to plug in the processor box and hit start. Hitting power on/start makes the beep and the processor box is blue but even disconnecting all the cables and reconnecting them the blue lights on the headset won't turn on.

If I unplug the processing box and unplug and replug all the VR and HDMI cords and power it back on, still doesn't work.

But if I fully shut down the processing box, the ps4 and the HDMI receiver, and unplug everything and plug it back in again. It works and the headset blue lights up but once I play a game it goes off in like 3 mins and I'm back in the same position.

Feels like something in the processor box is overheating? And then it needs a full reset of the box & ps4 to restart it and then it overheats again? Idk.

Is there even a repair from Sony on this stuff or do I need to just buy another PSVR :(

Bebpo

« Reply #324 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:15 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/895jy5/psvr_keeps_disconnecting/

Hmmm, didn't know there was a Gen 1 and Gen 2 version of PSVR. Mine is probably Gen 1 since I got it at launch grumble grumble.

Yeah, mine's 3 years old from Nov 16. Pretty sure it's not under any warranty at this point. Fuck.

Bebpo

« Reply #325 on: December 02, 2019, 09:30:16 PM »
And of course it dies on Cyber Monday night, so there's lots of deals...but everything is sold out.

Gamestop had some $199 sets but in-store only and none of the stores around me have it. Amazon has the cheapest set for $250 which is cheaper than the headset alone which is $268, so I guess I'm getting that. Will have any extra blood & truth and hot shots golf codes I guess. Hope this V2 headset is better at not dying. Need my daily Beat Saber.

Now if I get PC VR in 2020 for Half-life this is gonna be an expensive VR year :(

bluemax

« Reply #326 on: December 03, 2019, 02:32:43 AM »

Beat saber is one of the more successful VR games, and it sold 100K copies in the first month. That’s not nothing, but makes me think VR games sales are largely kind of small in general.

Getting acquired probably seems like the best outcome for a lot of companies in that environment. I kind of don’t like the idea of FB controlling VR, but the quest is the closest thing to a game changer for VR that there is, IMO so it’s not surprising to me if they are gaining market share.

Yeah pretty much.

I watched someone on Twitch tonight try out the Valve Index, and the few things that kinda worked with it seemed interesting but they were pretty much all tech demos. You're just not gonna get a lot of high end content for something that costs that much.

People are really, really, really banking on the Quest right now. I wonder what happens if this holiday season isn't super great for it though.
NO

kingv

« Reply #327 on: December 03, 2019, 08:21:19 AM »
I want a quest, but I’m not too keen on $399 for it.

I think there is a big missed opportunity not having any kind of sales whatsoever.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #328 on: December 03, 2019, 08:39:05 AM »
it sold out on amazon, walmart, best buy, and the oculus site

bluemax

« Reply #329 on: December 05, 2019, 01:48:02 AM »
Watching a video on the Unreal channel about porting Robo Recall from Rift to Quest. Quote from one of the engineers "It's very similar in terms of (frame/memory) budget to the original Xbox 360, maybe even PS2. So some of those techniques for building content for those budgets are back in fashion."
NO

Bebpo

« Reply #330 on: December 05, 2019, 11:39:14 PM »
Got my PSVR 2.0 today. Actually pretty different from my 1.0 in a lot of noticeable ways having used 1.0 almost daily for 3 years. Feels a little better comfort-wise and cable situation is better and you don't have the power thing to whack your knuckles sometimes and the booster box is way better design.

I didn't realize when I bought the cybermonday bundle for $250 which was cheaper than the standalone headset at $270 that the bundle not only includes the games but a camera and 2 moves. Now I have an extra PS Camera and extra 2 moves and extra 2 games lol. Pretty sure I can't sell them for shit at gamestop or wherever, so dunno what I'll do with them. Keep the move controllers in case my original 2 break at some point?

Anyhow, glad to be back to daily beat saber. Man I love VR. Will definitely pick up a PC VR at some point when Alyx comes out.

Svejk

« Reply #331 on: December 06, 2019, 08:23:13 AM »
I didn't realize how much better 2.0 was.  For a long while, I've unknowingly had it (ver. 2.0) since last year, but based on what peeps having being saying in comparison, I'm glad I got it vs ver 1.0.  I love it.  Granted I went from Gear VR to PSVR, so it felt like a massive leap to me.  :-[

Tasty

« Reply #332 on: December 06, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »
:drudge :vr :drudge

https://www.theinformation.com/articles/dented-reality-magic-leap-sees-slow-sales-steep-losses

1,700 employees :dizzy

$50-60 mil/month burn rate :dizzy

6,000 sold first year :dizzy

MSRP: $2,295 :dizzy

Expectation: 500,000 sold :dizzy

CEO originally wanted to promise 1 million sold in the first year :dizzy

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Virtual Boy sold 770,000 units in eight months :miyamoto
[close]

bluemax

« Reply #333 on: December 06, 2019, 11:09:05 PM »
That Magic Leap story was everything I ever imagined it would be. Can't wait until the book.
NO

Tasty

« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
Magic Leap employees set up a war room at the company’s Florida headquarters for the August 2018 sales rollout of its first headset. Screens around the room displayed sales figures for the device, but the numbers represented the quantity Magic Leap hoped to sell, which was higher than actual sales, said two people with direct knowledge of the matter. Employees were later told the company didn't have time before the launch to put a real-time sales reporting system together that could show actual numbers in the war room, said one of the people.

They straight up lied to their own employees on launch day. :lol :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2019, 05:50:10 PM »
Played Lone Echo a bit today and I really dig it. Started with a cool setup for a tutorial segment and then I got into exploring a bit of the space and getting into the story. Moving around really feels good, VR zero-g floating and maneuvering is easier to manage than I expected and the interaction with the world and dialogue is really smooth too.

However all that zero g floating didn't last real long for me, had to stop after about 30 mins. I'll be back for more but it seems I'll just have to take it slow on the game.

bluemax

« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2019, 10:08:43 PM »
Magic Leap employees set up a war room at the company’s Florida headquarters for the August 2018 sales rollout of its first headset. Screens around the room displayed sales figures for the device, but the numbers represented the quantity Magic Leap hoped to sell, which was higher than actual sales, said two people with direct knowledge of the matter. Employees were later told the company didn't have time before the launch to put a real-time sales reporting system together that could show actual numbers in the war room, said one of the people.

They straight up lied to their own employees on launch day. :lol :lol

They started giving them away to employees as "gifts" because they had so many just lying around collecting dust.
NO

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #337 on: December 08, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
So my PSVR died I think  :(

Basically after a couple mins play the headset turns off and the screen says to make sure to plug in the processor box and hit start. Hitting power on/start makes the beep and the processor box is blue but even disconnecting all the cables and reconnecting them the blue lights on the headset won't turn on.

If I unplug the processing box and unplug and replug all the VR and HDMI cords and power it back on, still doesn't work.

But if I fully shut down the processing box, the ps4 and the HDMI receiver, and unplug everything and plug it back in again. It works and the headset blue lights up but once I play a game it goes off in like 3 mins and I'm back in the same position.

Feels like something in the processor box is overheating? And then it needs a full reset of the box & ps4 to restart it and then it overheats again? Idk.

Is there even a repair from Sony on this stuff or do I need to just buy another PSVR :(

Look into repairs.
My son's rabbit bit through my #4 cable, and I was afraid it was going to cost $200 to replace, being a proprietary cable. Instead, Sony's official parts page is selling it for $20. I ordered it and am waiting for it to show up.

« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2019, 11:52:02 PM »
I wish there was a cheap way to test vr. I can get vertigo easily. So I don’t want to drop a grand on an index if I end up being allergic to VR. But the cheaper stuff is lower quality and more likely to induce vertigo and motion sickness...  :(

Also “pancake gaming“ has to be the most smarmy twat mouthed term I’ve ever heard. I swear when I read that I immediately lose at least 20% of the respect for the person as a human being.

Also I hope these valve games really really move the needle. I’m talking like 10 million sold because if you blow your 10+ years of pent up goodwill for half life, left4dead, and (portal???) and it only sells a couple million? I think you’ve just cooled off vr for another decade at least. That whole group spending graph from 2014 to 2018 is a literal bubble already.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #339 on: December 10, 2019, 01:12:48 AM »
I wish there was a cheap way to test vr. I can get vertigo easily. So I don’t want to drop a grand on an index if I end up being allergic to VR. But the cheaper stuff is lower quality and more likely to induce vertigo and motion sickness...  :

VR legs is a real thing, it takes a while. After 100 hours of Skyrim I can handle just about anything.

Whatever you do don't play Borderlands in VR, they're doing their barrel distortion wrong and it's vomit inducing.

Also “pancake gaming“ has to be the most smarmy twat mouthed term I’ve ever heard. I swear when I read that I immediately lose at least 20% of the respect for the person as a human being.

An industry professional used that in a conversation and he really dragged it out like "Paaaaaaaaaaancake gaming" and I gave him the Care Bear stare. I didn't choke him out but I came close

bluemax

« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2019, 02:32:49 AM »
I have not heard pancake gaming before but we have some VR weirdos at work who derisively talk about "flat" gaming (and other people mention flat for lack of better term to differentiate with VR).

But I do generally feel the same desire to roll my eyes when I hear it/see it.
NO

Sho Nuff

« Reply #341 on: December 11, 2019, 10:24:28 AM »
I have been playing Budget Cuts on the Vive and whoo boy this is wild. There was a part where I had to crawl through vents on my hands and knees and then drop down into a security room.

I have no idea how they're going to do this on the PSVR with the limited tracking.

Also there's this fucking crazy game called Boneworks or Boneyard or something that's Half Life 2'y in terms of really awesome physics puzzles, but it's got some locomotion issues that made everyone at my office toss their cookies.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #342 on: December 11, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »
Is the Samsung Odyssey+ worth a shit? It's dirt cheap right now.
sup

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #343 on: December 11, 2019, 10:01:16 PM »
its aight. headset is fine but controllers & tracking are not the best, iirc it cant track above you very well.

related: reddit chart for those looking to compare models

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #344 on: December 12, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »
Anyone use the Oculus quest? My son wants it for xmas. He already has PSVR. He really wants the valve index but that's out of my price range.
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #345 on: December 12, 2019, 10:29:44 AM »
that's what i have and i'm a fan, and my wife is using it daily for beat saber. its a solid headset with good controllers and tracking, plus it can hook up to a pc if you want. but if that's what you're getting you'll have to act kinda quick cause it's going in and out of stock pretty regularly.

few things to note:

1. to get games you can play wirelessly you have to buy via the oculus quest store and they rarely offer discounts, but also almost no game is above $30. pc games can be bought from any store, even steam.
2. you'll want a travel case or at least a lens guard for storage. i got this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVJP1JV
3. since all the hardware is in the front, it can get a bit tiring on my neck after a longer session
4. sounds silly to mention but don't use it outside. direct sunlight can fuck up the sensors/lenses

any other specific questions, just let me know and i'll try to help

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #346 on: December 12, 2019, 11:33:20 AM »
Went ahead and ordered the Odyssey+ from Amazon. $230 was hard to pass up, and I don't play enough VR stuff to justify the premium for the other headsets. If it sucks ass I won't hesitate to throw it back in the box and kick it back to Amazon.
sup

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #347 on: December 12, 2019, 12:30:51 PM »
that's what i have and i'm a fan, and my wife is using it daily for beat saber. its a solid headset with good controllers and tracking, plus it can hook up to a pc if you want. but if that's what you're getting you'll have to act kinda quick cause it's going in and out of stock pretty regularly.

few things to note:

1. to get games you can play wirelessly you have to buy via the oculus quest store and they rarely offer discounts, but also almost no game is above $30. pc games can be bought from any store, even steam.
2. you'll want a travel case or at least a lens guard for storage. i got this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WVJP1JV
3. since all the hardware is in the front, it can get a bit tiring on my neck after a longer session
4. sounds silly to mention but don't use it outside. direct sunlight can fuck up the sensors/lenses

any other specific questions, just let me know and i'll try to help

Thanks for the info. I plan on ordering it tomorrow. Lucky ass kids.
©ZH

Bebpo

« Reply #348 on: December 12, 2019, 02:17:46 PM »
So what's gonna be the best PC VR next year when Alyx hits? Valve's Index? And that's like $1k?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #349 on: December 12, 2019, 02:37:04 PM »
valve index is going to be the top of the line for a while, i think. knuckles controllers are really solid (though oculus quest now can do finger/hand tracking in the home ui, no games support but its coming) and the screen is 144hz, which no vr games at the moment can even push.

from my understanding the loose ranking is:

1. index
2. rift s or quest, depends if you wanna do wireless or not
3. most everything else
4. pimax (because of poor compatibility)

one reason to go oculus over index would be if you want non-pc vr or if you don't want to set up the lighthouse sensors around your room, but techwise the index is really the best out there right now. it's just 2x the cost of oculus because of the controllers.

Bebpo

« Reply #350 on: December 12, 2019, 02:59:22 PM »
Is Index different than Vive?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #351 on: December 12, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
Yeah it's like the Super Vive (moreso than the Vive Pro or Cosmos which are HTC solo joints and a meh upgrade in comparison to Index)

Higher resolution - 1440 vs 1080
Better screen - 144hz LCD vs 90hz OLED. Valve is pro-LCD cause of the higher hz and less image smearing
Slightly better sensors
Knuckles controllers which are the biggest improvement and the best VR controllers on the market.

Bebpo

« Reply #352 on: December 12, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »
So your pc rig needs to be pushing 2 x 1440p @ 144hz? That seems...challenging. I'm just barely pushing that right now on my 2080ti rig I built for 1 screen.

Do the knuckle controllers have feedback? While I like hands-free the lack of feedback of the world your interacting with kinda kills it. I feel like hands free needs to be with haptic feedback gloves.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #353 on: December 12, 2019, 03:22:21 PM »
Well at the moment there are no VR games out that run at 144hz, I don't expect Alyx to run that either. Just cause that's not a reasonable expectation for PC specs.

Most are locked to 72-120 depending on what its running on. The big thing with VR is consistent fps. So its better to be locked at 80/90 than vary between 90-144, cause the varying FPS is what causes sickness with a lot of people (and fps below 70 but thats also not an issue with your PC if you have a 2080ti).

Either way, expect most games you'd play on Index to be running at 90fps. Friend of mine that has an Index has a 2070 Super and has never seen an issue running anything at 90-120 fps. Alyx will most likely be very optimized as well so that will help.

And yeah, the Index controllers have haptic/hd rumble, but the implementation of it is up to the developers to add to their game.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 03:31:59 PM by nachobro »

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #354 on: December 12, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
What kind of quality can I expect out of a GTX 1660? I know it's a mid range GPU, but I'm hoping I can get better quality than PSVR, at least
sup

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #355 on: December 12, 2019, 05:14:18 PM »
Should be pretty good. A lot of current VR titles recommend 970 minimum with 1070 recommended and a 1660 is at least 10% more performance than the 1070.

I know the assets are scaled down and such for it but I figure if the Quest is basically a fancy android phone and can run VR titles well, pretty much any current GPU shouldn't have an issue

Brehvolution

« Reply #356 on: December 13, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »
Let's order this thing:
Oculus.com - Ships by Jan. 30
Amazon - sold out, other sellers starting $700+
Newegg - backordered
Best Buy - Sold out. Yesterday said it could be picked up in store by 12/20
Walmart.com - There is 1 left at your store and it is the Vader Immortal edition. It can be picked up today we will let you know.  :gladbron
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #357 on: December 13, 2019, 11:29:20 AM »
Those Vader games are pretty good. Not the best things ever but a fun experience and teach you most of the VR basics.

Brehvolution

« Reply #358 on: December 13, 2019, 11:39:08 AM »
I'm most excited that it doesn't have to be tethered to a PC, but can be for more game options. That's pretty cool.
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #359 on: December 13, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
I definitely recommend getting the wireless versions of Superhot and Beat Saber if you get those. They benefit a lot from it, especially since Beat Saber is getting 360 degree levels.