Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
8 (12.3%)
Fuck off
4 (6.2%)
No one wants this shit
23 (35.4%)
Maybe
17 (26.2%)
Yes
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: VR Thread  (Read 79839 times)

Bebpo

Re: VR Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »
Ok, Beat Saber is legit as hell. On the PSVR side I keep trying things and none of them are particularly fun and are games I'd play outside of VR.

Except Astrobot & Beat Saber (and that one new stage in Rez Infinite). These two games are both legit and I could play them for hours instead of wanting to ditch the headset after 10-15 mins (tried Moss tonight and it's so.slow and low res and low framerate maybe?; idk it hurt my head after like 15 mins and had to bail).

So the only thing about Beat Saber is I looked through the song list and there's only like 13 songs total in the game???? What. I'm used to Guitar Hero/Rock Band/Drummania/Taiko/Theatrythm music games with like 30-50 songs minimum. Feels like the game isn't gonna have a lot of life with only 13 tracks (and some of them aren't my thing).

So since Beat Saber is successful from what I understand across Steam and PSVR, I'm gonna assume they'll put out a sequel at some point with a much larger tracklist (and maybe some bigger artists?) I hope so. This is definitely the VR party game I'm gonna use to show off VR at this point.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2018, 12:45:29 AM »
I play Beat Saber for like a half hour every morning at work. Great way to wake up.
serge

Bebpo

« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2018, 12:59:09 AM »
Yeah, I did it for my pre-workout cardio tonight and it was great just like Rock Band drumming days, got a good sweat going. I miss drumming games....should hook up RB again at some point.

Bebpo

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2018, 01:15:34 AM »
Also just saw an article from 3 days ago saying they're doing 30 tracks as DLC in three packs of $10/10 songs with the first coming pretty soon. That's great. 30 more tracks will get it exactly where I want the tracklist to be.

Since I'm not super into EDM, I'm lame and would like it if they have some good licensed tracks. Like NIN tracks would work well in this.

Bebpo

« Reply #124 on: December 07, 2018, 12:03:14 AM »
Got through all the base songs in Beat Saber on hard, tried expert but yeaaaaah that's too fast for my reflexes. Even on the slower modifier I can't move my wrists fast enough. I'm content replaying the songs on hard and improving scores until DLC arrives.

In campaign I'm stuck still back on Normal songs because the disappearing arrows modifier is bullshit and I can't play that way. Will never pass this part lol

Great game though. The feel of slashing is just right. Really good use of rumble in the sticks too.

Bebpo

« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2018, 06:43:45 PM »
Played a couple hours of Tetris Effect. Actually prefer it without VR. The resolution feels really really low in VR and you'd think for Tetris it wouldn't matter but having the blocks not be crisp and sharp bothers me. I think I'd rather have Tetris Effect on a handheld like Luminous than VR.

Idk I'll give the VR another shot. I like the background effects, I just don't like how low rest the main play field is :|

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
Resolution in Tetris VR is so low it's baffling. I don't know why it looks so bad.

Bebpo

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
Yeah, I ended up preferring it in VR for the effects and larger board which is easier to see but idk why it's so low res. I popped in Beat Saber and just the text is so much sharper there.

Bebpo

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »
Anyone played From Software’s Deracine? I love weird artsy From Soft, but I also hate mediocre VR experiences that are ugly/drab/realistic and give me motion sickness so I’m hesistant to drop $30 on it. Would like some opinions.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2018, 11:17:30 PM »
I hear it's real mediocre. No free locomotion tho, teleport-only so you probably won't get sick. Play Invisible Hours instead, that's some next-level storytelling shit.

Bebpo

« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2018, 02:36:47 AM »
Well that sounds like a pass. Yeah I couldn't even get into Invisible Hours without it making me feel sick. The only VR games on PSVR I've been able to stomach have been bright colorful games like Astrobot/Beat Saber or Tetris (outside the low res). Non bright/colorful VR just doesn't sit right with me.

Bebpo

« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2019, 02:14:25 PM »
So I've actually been getting better at Beat Saber! I play like 4-5 songs a day. Got to the point where I got an A rank on all the songs on hard (including the 2 free DLC ones which feel like a halfway between hard and expert which was actually helpful) and then I gave expert another shot with the -30% speed and I realized that I could almost perfect run the songs on expert at -30% so I worked on the easiest songs in expert at full speed and I'm actually passing them! Now I'm still making mistakes when they throw strange arrangements or when you have to move up/down/up/down super fast in a row but I'm starting to at least get B rank passes on expert and it feels good getting past that barrier.

I think the biggest help was just after playing enough I don't think anymore when I see the arrows, I just react instantly because I'm so used to it. Which is also why I get thrown off by new patterns since I have to stop and think about them and can't do them on instant reaction. Like I even went back to the campaign where I was stuck at disappearing arrows (which is still bullshit) but somehow I was able to handle it now and got further in the campaign too.

This is cool because some music games I hit a wall and I just cannot ever get through it. Like Theatrhythm I can't do the highest difficulty, the jump is just too much whereas the one before its too easy and I perfect like every song so it's kinda boring.

Anyhow still waiting for that first 10 song paid DLC pack that was supposed to come by the end of 2018 (now early 2019 ETA). I really love this game and it's not only my favorite VR title but my favorite music game in a while. I just need more tracks!!

I'm hoping the big success of this game (I mean the dev has to be getting $$$$$$$$ since it's successful across platforms) will lead to a commercial publisher funded sequel with 100s of songs including a good portion being licensed tracks like Rock Band. The starting tracklist has grown on me, but out of the now about 15 songs I probably only like about half.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2019, 02:58:41 PM »
Resolution in Tetris VR is so low it's baffling. I don't know why it looks so bad.

It's Tetris, it's supposed to be blocky.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:ohyou
[close]

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
I want someone I know to get Ace Combat 7 and that HORI controller.  :'(

Svejk

« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2019, 04:42:17 PM »
I'd Day 1 AC7 if it were entirely playable in VR.  Kinda disappointing that they didn't pull that off like RE7 did.  Will wait till it goes on sale.

What baffles me, is how Mirror's Edge has not been ported to PSVR yet... wtf

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2019, 04:47:06 PM »
I'm getting AC7 on d1 (well i already bought it actually) on PC, i've been waiting for a new (proper) Ace Combat for years, but i hope someone can mode the VR mode in somehow.
They did it with other games after all.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2019, 05:40:10 PM »
I thought it was RE7 situation, it's just a mode? That's super disappointing :-\

Ace Combat 7's VR consists of three side missions (multiple difficulties and ranks and rewards for some small replayability), Free Flight where you can fly around those mission areas freely without any enemies, a hangar where you can view the four VR aircraft in their glory, and an Airshow Mode where you stand on an aircraft carrier and direct a squadron of F-18s to perform an airshow.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #137 on: January 03, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
I thought it was RE7 situation, it's just a mode? That's super disappointing :-\

Ace Combat 7's VR consists of three side missions (multiple difficulties and ranks and rewards for some small replayability), Free Flight where you can fly around those mission areas freely without any enemies, a hangar where you can view the four VR aircraft in their glory, and an Airshow Mode where you stand on an aircraft carrier and direct a squadron of F-18s to perform an airshow.
It was at some point, but they scaled it back, I think.

Bebpo

« Reply #138 on: February 02, 2019, 07:07:51 PM »
Was looking through the PS flash sale going on and saw there was a Psychonauts VR game? Was $3.99 so gave it a shot.

Psychonauts: Rhombus of Ruin was solid. I mean I actually finished it which is super rare for me and VR since I'm generally anti-VR. The puzzles were fairly simple but fun and the art direction was great. Controls were a littttle finnicky, but otherwise was worth the couple hours time and shows that it's definitely possible in the future for legit P&C adventure games to be made in the VR space.

One thing I've never been big on in any VR title is cutscenes. For whatever reason sitting and waiting for a cutscene to play out is a pain in the butt in VR since you want to do something. Still the cutscenes here, especially some of the coraline animation type stuff worked fairly well.

Also tried out Ace Combat 7 in VR and it was pretty fun. Surprisingly didn't give me motion sickness at all and I'm prone to it in VR stuff. Felt I could track planes I was fighting a lot better being able to look outside of the cockpit view. But I kept crashing into the ocean because I am bad at this.

Still working through Astrobot, almost at the end of world 3. Such a good game. Really enjoy every stage and a lot of the challenge stages are pretty fun. This and Beat Saber still the best VR titles for me so far.

Bebpo

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2019, 10:32:28 PM »
Beat Saber PSVR - So they released Expert+....but still no first DLC pack of songs  :wag

Tried expert+ on some easy songs I have an A ranking in expert in...noooope
Tried it at -30% speed and still....nooope

Yeah not going there. Just want my damn DLC songs!

Bebpo

« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2019, 11:38:39 PM »
So uh, I just did the Bots n' Goblins 5-2 level in Astrobot and goddamn that was amazing. I mean the game is greaaaat, but some of these levels are just masterful level design. I love all the little touches like how in Bots n' Goblins there's all the hidden graffiti on the walls and if you shine the light at the astrobot he shields his eyes and stuff. It's kinda crazy how good this game is, like I know preaching to the choir here since everyone's finished it months ago by now, but this is like the most polished quality title out of Sony Japan's teams since like the good Team Ico stuff. Good music too, though could use a few more tracks because a bunch of stages use the same tracks. But some of the songs are sooooo good.

I'm playing Yoshi's Island for the first time right now and I feel like Astrobot is kinda similar in the weirdness and uniqueness and length of the stages. Astrobot's definitely easier and more foregiving but that's only because more frequent checkpoints and unlimited lives. I was thinking that if Astrobot only gave you like 3 lives per level it'd actually be challenging (and probably too tedious for me to finish) since I die like 4-10 times a level. The challenge stages are pretty good and challenging although I did one of the boss challenge stages to see how different it was and it was basically identical? Expected a much harder version.

Game feels like a good amount of content too between the worlds and challenge stages. I keep missing finding the chameleon and don't think I'll replay the stages but after I beat the game I'm definitely gonna try to clear all the challenge stages I have left that I've unlocked.

Bebpo

« Reply #141 on: February 18, 2019, 01:32:29 AM »
Beat it! That final boss was kinda tough. Almost gave up  :maf  if I have 4 small nitpicks for the game it's 1) Boss fights kinda take a while with no checkpoints which is fine but I'm old and impatient and I died like once on each boss (and 4-5 times on the final boss) and I wish there were checkpoints  :'( 2) When you beat a challenge in a challenge level if you hit the button to hurry up on the finish animation it defaults to replay level instead of quit, small thing but I accidentally did it every challenge stage and had to quit out. 3) as I mentioned in my last post it could use a few more music tracks, but the music is aces, and 4) the game has this two weird VR calibration things to it, first is when you start the game you have to be exactly in the center of the screen to get it to ok you to start the game even if your seating is off-center and you can play just fine off-center but you have to move over and pretend to be in the center to start it, this is dumb. And the game is super sensitive about take the VR helmet off. Whenever I beat a stage I didn't want to watch all the finish animations so I'd take off the headset for a second to get a breather and it'd just freeze the game and say put the headset back on. Small thing but a little annoying.

So as you can tell all 4 of those are incredibly tiny inconveniences. Otherwise everything in the game is fantastic. The art, animation, music, level design, controls, VR headset controls, length, challenge, etc...all top-notch. I didn't think Astrobot would live up to the hype because games tend to get overhyped in general, but this lived up to it. I don't know if I'd go as far as saying it's better than any of the mainline 3d Mario games, but then I think every mainline 3d mario is amazing even Sunshine. That said, I'll say Astrobot VR is as good as Mario Odyssey, which means it's pretty much the best 3d Platformer on a playstation in ever.

Hopefully Sony recognizes the huge praise Astrobot is getting and gives the team a bunch of $$$ to get an Astrobot 2 ready for PS5 VR launch in 2020 or 2021 whenever that happens. Would be a great title to launch Sony's next generation of VR with.

So like, with Astrobot done and Beat Saber pretty much played to death until there's DLC tracks, are there any other PS VR titles on the polished A++ quality as these two or is everything else in comparison just gonna suck until we get some new HQ VR titles in the future?

Bebpo

« Reply #142 on: February 18, 2019, 04:09:22 AM »
Actually one change I'd like for the sequel is being able to customize the controls so for touchpad actions (water, etc...) you can use a trigger button instead. The reason is that you can't jump while doing touchpad moves because the thumb that normally hits jump is on the touchpad and there are parts where the game wants you to be doing touchpad moves while platforming and I found it pretty stressful going back and forth. If I could do it with like R2 I'd be able to do touchpad moves + platform & jump at the same time.

Svejk

« Reply #143 on: February 18, 2019, 09:37:06 AM »
Astrobot was indeed the bee's knees.  I still need like 3 more chameleons, then I'll be content with it.  I want to sell/trade it off, as it's my only physical game and sticks out like a sore thumb in my gaming area.   Pick it up later down the road on a good digi sale.
 :bow Astrobot  :bow2

If you haven't ried it yet, try Superhot VR!

Sho Nuff

« Reply #144 on: February 20, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »
Ugh I wish Ace Combat was at the Redbox, just can't justify $60 for 3 missions.

Some buddies came over to the office last night; I put one in Astrobot and the other in Google Earth on the Rift. Neither have been in VR.

Astrobot: "This is the best game I've ever played and I can never stop playing because the robot loves me too much"
Google Earth: "This is what it feels like to be in Dragon Ball Z"

Svejk

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2019, 08:01:53 AM »
Listening to ME: Catalyst OST right now..   (  :bow :bow SOLAR FIELDS  :bow2 :bow2 )   How are neither of the ME games not officially been ported to VR yet???!?!   :mindblown  Is it EA that owns the rights to them?  If so, fuck you EA! 

Bebpo

« Reply #146 on: March 01, 2019, 09:12:34 PM »
So I was looking around at VR top lists to find some new good stuff to play on PSVR. Most stuff isn't on PSVR, but these all seemed like they had good reviews:

Sprint Vector
Transference
The Persistence
The Exorcist

Any thoughts on any of those? Transference looks the most interesting, but I think I'll wait for sales since PSVR stuff is typically pretty short. Sprint Vector looks like Mirror's Edge VR game? Firewall keeps making all these lists but I have zero interest in VR fps games. And less interest in multiplayer VR games (otherwise I would have picked up Star Trek bridge crew & Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes). I'd like to see more puzzle kinda games on VR like The Room or Obduction/The Witness. Hopefully someday on PSVR.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #147 on: March 01, 2019, 10:16:52 PM »
anyone ever play that eagle flight game?  :usacry

Sho Nuff

« Reply #148 on: March 01, 2019, 10:25:12 PM »
So I was looking around at VR top lists to find some new good stuff to play on PSVR. Most stuff isn't on PSVR, but these all seemed like they had good reviews:

Sprint Vector
Transference
The Persistence
The Exorcist

Any thoughts on any of those? Transference looks the most interesting, but I think I'll wait for sales since PSVR stuff is typically pretty short. Sprint Vector looks like Mirror's Edge VR game? Firewall keeps making all these lists but I have zero interest in VR fps games. And less interest in multiplayer VR games (otherwise I would have picked up Star Trek bridge crew & Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes). I'd like to see more puzzle kinda games on VR like The Room or Obduction/The Witness. Hopefully someday on PSVR.

Sprint Vector would be great if it didn't require you to swing your arms VERY FAST all the time. I love a good workout like Beat Saber, but this was just masochistic. Either that or I was playing it wrong.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »

Svejk

« Reply #150 on: March 02, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »
Played Superhot VR last night... Shit's legit awesome.

Svejk

« Reply #151 on: March 02, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
I am looking forward to these coming (supposedly) this year to PSVR...

« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:21:06 PM by Svejk »

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »
Hot Shots VR?!? :hyper
©ZH

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2019, 05:28:34 AM »
"Budget cuts" :thinking
ὕβρις

Sho Nuff

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »
Budget Cuts had a phenomenal tech demo. With polish it could have been Valve-class, but apparently the final version is not so hot

Svejk

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »
Budget Cuts had a phenomenal tech demo. With polish it could have been Valve-class, but apparently the final version is not so hot
That sucks  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2019, 06:07:28 PM »
NEW BEAT SABER SONGS ARE OUT

yes, that "we're aiming for before the end of the year 2018" initial 10 songpack is now out on March 14th. Better late than never. No major artists songs, apparently more than a few are from Rocket League? Will try them out tonight.

Been still playing daily for cardio warm-up, have an A rank on every song on expert except one of the free DLC songs where I have a B rank but I've got to be getting close. I know there's S and SS ranks but I'm still at the point where I'm just trying to hit all the notes. Got my first full combo on one of the songs yesterday in expert. Definitely ready for these new songs now. Though I do hope a few of the remaining 20 DLC songs are mainstream band songs. The dev team has to be making tens of millions on the sales of this game. They can afford a decent entertainment lawyer and contract with some artists for songs I've actually heard of.

Also been messing around with expert+, my main problem is it's just too fast. Like in training mode at 50% speed I can handle the songs, but doing the 70% speed modifier (slower song) even at 70% it's still noticeably faster than Expert speed at 100% and I can't keep up with 70% expert+ speed. Doesn't help that it uses a lot of patterns I mentally struggle with where it swaps the color sides. I honestly think that stuff is kinda bs. In music games notes should appear on the side/lane where they appear on. Right saber = LEFT SIDE NOTES, Left saber = RIGHT SIDE NOTES and my brain associates that since a lot of songs I don't have time to think and just have to react. So when they throw red blocks on the right and blue blocks on the left unless I memorize their locations from practice in the song I'll never hit them on reaction instinct at full 100% expert speed and expert+ is tons of that even faster. Oh well, I'm fine with regular expert.

Bebpo

« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2019, 10:42:54 PM »
Just ran through them on expert. Pretty good selection. Lot of variety and the difficulty is a pretty wide range. Some stuff is fine and some songs are seriously halfway to expert+ and harder than anything to date in the games. There's a lot of new patterns that will throw you off and I'm gonna have to slowly learn them. Definitely will get some mileage on this until the next song pack. They also changed up the UI which I'm not sure if I like dividing the songs into groups instead of just 1 list with all the songs.

This song ("Stronger" by Stonebank (feat. Emel)) is the most insane patterns on expert.

This song's nice. Reminds me of Passion Pit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:00:03 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2019, 12:03:38 PM »
PSN is doing a pretty big sale right now. Lots of stuff 50-75% off.

On a whim I double dipped on Dirt Rally VR for $12 since I just started playing it last week on PC and I'm digging it. For $12 I was curious to see how it would feel in VR. I've tried Driveclub and GT Sport VR and couldn't get into either. They were ugly low res and most of your view was obscured by the cockpit.

Dirt Rally VR coming from a good PC basically looks like a PS2.5 game on PSVR. But, it's not that bad because you still get a good view and it actually really helps having the extra depth for seeing the upcoming track and turns. On PC I'm relying basically 75% on the co-driver calls for turns, on PSVR I can almost ignore all the calls outside hearing when 1 or 2 turns are coming up because generally I can see the turns even to handle them. It's kinda magic and I can't really explain why but my times with the same car are much better on PSVR vs. PC and it is pretty damn fun/cool.

I kept thinking that playing in VR with a FFB steering wheel it'd probably be pretty freaking awesome. Even more so on PCVR where it doesn't have to be downgraded to PS2 level visuals. I started looking at FFB steering wheels (haven't had one since PS2 days of GT and that weird Konami rally game) and man that is a rabbit hole I am not ready to go down. I'm getting a good amount of fun out of this $12 game, probably don't have enough interest to make it a $600 game. But maybe someday I'll get a FFB wheel for these racing games.

Then I bought Fisherman's Tale for $12 because it looked kinda good/ok and I'm starved for VR on PSVR. After Astrobot I started looking at new and exciting VR game lists and there's all this cool stuff for PC and like almost nothing is on PSVR (though some will be ported months/years later). Fisherman's Tale on PSVR is really bad. Like this is I should ask for a refund bad. Apparently this game was made for room scale VR on PC and maybe that's why but the controls are the worst I've played yet in PSVR. You have to grab all these tiny little objects very carefully and the VR move hands just suck. Also the camera doesn't sit still when you teleport around so your view is always shaking/moving on top of your hands shaking and moving and it's so frustrating trying to do anything I gave up in Ch.1. You have a button that extends your hand to make up for room scale, but what it does is shoot your hand out 5 feet away and teleport it back. So there's no in-between. You have close hands and 5 feet away hands and if you're holding an object and you shoot your hand 5 feet away the object likes to just VANISH. In this game objects are constantly vanishing instead of just like falling and staying where you can pick them up. Then a few seconds later they re-appear where they spawn. Everything about the gameplay was just terrible for me in PSVR. Wasted money here. But at least Dirt Rally was a nice surprise.

kingv

« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
Dirt rally be would be a great name for a gay VR porn.

Occam

« Reply #160 on: March 25, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »
No Man’s Sky is getting an update this summer, No Man’s Sky: Beyond, which will add support fo PSVR.

Bebpo

« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2019, 02:24:19 AM »
Beat...alll...the...monstercat....songs....on....expert

FIFTY MINUTES straight of Beat Saber with like 30 mins practicing Overkill over and over again (you could say it was overkill  ;) ). That one part like 30 second before the end (because they always put the hardest bit 30 seconds before the end so you have to replay the whole song over to try again) kept screwing me even practicing it in practice mode a ton of times.

Then at some point in repeating that same 30 seconds in practice mode it just clicked and I was like "WAIT, IT WAS JUST JUMP ROPING. WHY DID I NEVER NOTICE IT I FEEL DUMB" and then after 3 practices of nailing it I restart the song and BEAT THAT SHIT OH YEAH.

Also there was a puddle of WATER ON THE FLOOR UNDER ME from all my sweat  :lol I don't think I've ever sweat that much even at the gym.

Really good song pack, when the patterns click it's like wow, these are very well designed movement patterns.

I went back to the original starting songs and it feels like playing in slow motion in expert lol, they keep upping the challenge and speed of these songs and I'm ok with that because it's giving me challenges to overcome and making me a better beat saber player. I'm gonna work on my scores for this monstercat pack (have about half As, half Bs right now), but I feel like maybe if I go back to the original songs I can do Expert+ now since some of these songs like Overkill are pretty close to being expert+ already on expert.

Hope the next 2 songpacks are just as good. Will bring it to 48 songs total which is pretty solid for a music game. Then they can concentrate on Beat Saber 2.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #162 on: March 27, 2019, 02:59:15 PM »
BORDERLANDS 2 VR

It is phenomenally broken in regards to its rendering. UE3 doesn't have a native VR rendering solution so they made their own and holy fuckin' shit is it bad. Turned green the first time I rotated my head, and I've put +100 hours into Skyrim so don't gimme that "you need to get your VR legs" shit. I think they're doing barrel distortion wrong; they have all these blinders turned on by default because I think they realize it's vomit-inducing.

Did about an hour; played with the Aim controller which was working great TBH. Couldn't take it anymore after the sweats set in; contacted Sony support and got a refund (they WILL refund VR games for making you motion-sick if you complain enough and escalate to a manager).

Also the scale in the game is WAY OFF. Enemy humans come up to your waist (no, not the midgets, the standard baddies).

I probably would have played it to the end if they hadn't made a game that induces motion sickness on a cosmic scale. I REALLY like Aim controller games.

Svejk

« Reply #163 on: March 27, 2019, 03:02:34 PM »
Glad you mentioned this, because it's been on my radar along with Skyrim...  Sounds like it'd be better to go with Skyrim.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #164 on: March 27, 2019, 05:14:07 PM »
Skyrim is the real deal. The Move controller layout takes.....quite a bit of time to get used to tho.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #165 on: April 10, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
So ready for the new Oculus drop. Leaning towards the Quest rn for that simple VR console experience. Will probably end up trying this for pc vr https://uploadvr.com/ces-2019-i-streamed-pc-vr-games-to-an-oculus-go-with-tpcast-air/
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #166 on: April 10, 2019, 07:28:54 PM »
https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1046543227917148161

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1109946873622810624

Would make it an extremely easy decision if it does officially support some wireless standard. Agree with this guy that Rift S does seem like a step back, like moving into Win MR territory. . Untethered VR at the Quest pricepoint is just so damn nice. Also, really dislike the janky looking flop down Rift S design like Win MR headsets. Will reserve judgement 'til i see reviews, but atm not a fan.

edit: also that last tweet sounds like a heavy inference of "yes, we got that working p good, and no, the business don't like it/want to keep it a closed eco-system (at least officially)"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 07:34:46 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Svejk

« Reply #167 on: April 12, 2019, 10:03:06 AM »
Ghost Giant on PSVR is getting really good reviews.  Will probably have to pick that up on the 16th.  Like Moss though, it's supposedly only a 3-4 hour game.   :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2019, 01:52:34 AM »
I tried playing Moss again and ended up deleting it because of how much I actively disliked the game. I got to the castle area with the sci-fi lasers and stuff and while there's some nice art direction, I never found the game to be any fun to play. The controls always seemed pretty shitty, from Moss's context sensitive tiny jump that sometimes is a bigger jump when needed, to the motion controls which were flimsy as hell and the enemy AI like when you want to get a fireball guy to shoot where you want it to. Puzzles seemed pretty trial and error with bad controls and why did they ever think having God of War style combat wave battles with a crappy combat system was a good idea? I hated every battle because the battle system sucked.

I'd give it like a 5/10. I mean it's only 3-5 hours long or something and I still couldn't make it through.

VR is still really in its early stages. There's some awesome quality software out there, but there's also so much junk that isn't worth anyone's time.

Svejk

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »
I enjoyed Moss, but mostly for it's art direction and presentation.  The puzzles were a bit too tedious and boring, but I enjoyed it's short length.  It's certainly no AstroBot.   And I agree about the jumping.  I got stuck on a puzzle because I was trying forever to figure out how to make a platform to get to an other area, when all you had to do is jump it.  ::)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »
Breath of the Wild VR is fucking awful
püp

Sho Nuff

« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »
I assumed Valve Index was going to be cheaper and have inside out tracking

Ha ha ha I'm dumb

Bebpo

« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2019, 08:47:02 PM »
Ya, I’m still waiting for PCVR to get sorted out and then I shall jump in.

naff

« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2019, 09:08:42 PM »
"Not available in your country"

Every fucking time Valve.

Knuckles/Index controllers are so great, but I'm going to be on that Rift S buzz.
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2019, 09:13:09 PM »
sounding like a colleague with stupid money getting it though. will likely just borrow it when they inevitably get bored :lol  :'( that's how i got into the vive and rift. no way i would shell out ~1500 nzd for this kit when rift is looking to be ~500.

surprised it doesn't have eye tracking! i really thought at that price and with all the research valve had supposedly done that was gonna be the killer feature. higher refresh rate options is nice, but the Index doesn't seem to offer much outside that, good IPD adjustment and better built in sound quality over the much cheaper Rift. just another entry into the gen 1.5 vr headsets (prob the best one, but high glare and god rays doesn't sound great. something Rift S has near eliminated)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:29:17 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2019, 10:53:51 PM »
does sound real nice. jurys out on the glare / god rays. tested and roadtovr folks disagreeing there. controllers look great but the headset still has enough caveats it's a little disappointing, it's like all the problems i have with this gen's vr have been solved in various headsets but index does seem to be the closest. 3x the price of the competition though, for pretty marginal improvements or really, just a different option, to what Oculus are doing.

Rift S - Eliminates god rays, simple stable inside out tracking. Still suffers from sde, eschews the previously great Rift and Rift Quest design for dumb WinMR look, reduces refresh rate to 80hz. Eh, almost good, but ultimately very disappointing.

Rift Quest - Good all round, wireless, looks pretty great tbh. No support for streaming or connection to PC kills it for enthusiasts, locked ecosystem, low power, 2hrs battery. Seems like a huge miss not to just leverage this headset as their pcvr option that's also portable (the VR Switch!), insert clip in displayport cable to play. Even just keep offering the original lower res Rift as a budget/lower spec req option.

Samsung Odyssey+ - Almost eliminates SDE, simple inside out tracking. Controllers are kinda jank, almost great, but the trackpad is dumb, tracking could be a lot better (relies on 2 cameras), sweet spot is real small.

Valve Index - Almost imperceptible sde, fast illumination time (time for pixels to light up 0.33ms vs 1.83 or something. makes ghosting almost imperceptible supposedly) kinda agree inside out tracking isn't quite there so kinda into the base station design, high quality build, "high subpixel density" (same as odyssey+). LCD Screens, reported to have really strong glare and god rays though maybe this is bs? Way more expensive than competing solutions while offering similar features - Quest has same res but with OLED panels, Odyssey+ has similar lcds, Vive Pro same but amoled).

Vive Pro - Same res, amoled, solid design. Even more expensive than Index. (don't know much about this one).

Quest almost has me. Lack of pcvr kinda kills it though and Rift S is just really uncompelling.
◕‿◕

kingv

« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2019, 11:09:06 PM »
I feel like quest would be really compelling at like $150-200 (and frankly will probably get there).

But you just know it’s going to be weak as hell. It’s probably no faster than a switch (and carmack seems to basically confirm this).

Nuitangg

« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
Even with a good ffb wheel there's still something missing and I'm not about to invest in a motion rig. 

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #178 on: May 01, 2019, 01:43:24 AM »
I'm confused. Isn't the Vive a Valve/HTC headset? Why did they make the Index  ???

bluemax

« Reply #179 on: May 01, 2019, 02:17:16 AM »
BORDERLANDS 2 VR

It is phenomenally broken in regards to its rendering. UE3 doesn't have a native VR rendering solution so they made their own and holy fuckin' shit is it bad. Turned green the first time I rotated my head, and I've put +100 hours into Skyrim so don't gimme that "you need to get your VR legs" shit. I think they're doing barrel distortion wrong; they have all these blinders turned on by default because I think they realize it's vomit-inducing.

Did about an hour; played with the Aim controller which was working great TBH. Couldn't take it anymore after the sweats set in; contacted Sony support and got a refund (they WILL refund VR games for making you motion-sick if you complain enough and escalate to a manager).

Also the scale in the game is WAY OFF. Enemy humans come up to your waist (no, not the midgets, the standard baddies).

I probably would have played it to the end if they hadn't made a game that induces motion sickness on a cosmic scale. I REALLY like Aim controller games.

Have you tried Firewall Zero Hour my good man?
NO