Poll

Did this become a thing or did it just die?

LOL
8 (12.3%)
Fuck off
4 (6.2%)
No one wants this shit
23 (35.4%)
Maybe
17 (26.2%)
Yes
13 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: VR Thread  (Read 79831 times)

Bebpo

Re: VR Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
Picked up some PS VR stuff, still makes me motion sick after an hour. VR never gonna feel good for me.

Tried the FFXV Monsters of the Deep fishing game. Kinda nuts how complete of a game it is for a fishing mini-game. Hunts, upgrades, story, music player, etc... the fishing is kinda fun and intuitive when reeling it in but the load times and completely terrible casting controls and 2d cutscenes kinda hurt it. It feels like a game that's meant to be played for many hours, which because motion sickness isn't gonna work for me, but if I didn't get motion sickness I'd enjoy it. I always like fishing in videogames, so it's nice to have a VR fishing game.

Tried Megaton Rainfall and I don't get the hype. Beat the first stage and it was ok but felt like a simple indie game. The flying sensation didn't feel good to me compared to like Eagle Flight and the controls were not that great for shooting down small moving targets. Not sure why backing up would decrease the FOV? It seemed passable but I'd rather just play Rez Infinite.

Also picked up The Invisible Hours and Skyrim VR so will try those next when I'm ready to get motion sickness again.

Bebpo

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »
Probably. I mean I do better with the non-interactive stuff :P The motion ride VR apps are my favorites. Wish there was a genre of VR ride apps to buy on PSVR where you just sit back and enjoy the ride like Rollercoasters and stuff. It's when I'm actually controlling the game that I get motion sickness.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2017, 12:19:03 PM »
Seems like an easy sell, too.  Co-branding (Ride King's Island's Beast!) and entry level abilities - everyone would want to give it a try.
rub

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »
Probably. I mean I do better with the non-interactive stuff :P The motion ride VR apps are my favorites. Wish there was a genre of VR ride apps to buy on PSVR where you just sit back and enjoy the ride like Rollercoasters and stuff. It's when I'm actually controlling the game that I get motion sickness.

This was just released on the 21st, in case you missed it:

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP3202-CUSA10151_00-0000000000000001
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2017, 03:20:42 PM »

HTC Vive exclusive  >:(
sup

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
I think ill jump in once the FoV is expanded. Should happen with gen 2 devices. It also makes me want to build an actual PC again.
:9

Tasty

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2018, 02:56:20 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2018, 03:00:00 PM »
VRChat is pretty much saving VR right now. Shit is fire on Twitch
fat

Tasty

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2018, 03:20:33 PM »
Until now, portable headsets have been limited to tracking head movement using cords and external sensors. In reality, you can experience content by turning your head left to right at court-side in a live basketball game, glancing skyward at snow-capped mountains or looking behind you in 360-degree spherical videos. But now with WorldSense’s inside-out positional tracking technology, the headset can mirror real life by tracking its position in space through built-in tracking cameras and sensors.

No more cables and stupid camera dongles :rejoice #gamechanger

Tasty

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »
Wait what the fuuuuuuccck

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2018, 01:34:45 AM »
Is there anything to that game besides erping and idiots with knuckles avatars pretending to Ugandan?
Hi

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2018, 03:11:40 AM »
Wait what the fuuuuuuccck

Looking into this it sounds pretty nice, a bit of an obvious stopgap but I will be tempted to try htc again once those new knuckles controllers are out too. HTC really need something new, I think most sets on the market are easier to use and a bit better in most places except for tracking (worst controllers and headset vs WinMR and Oculus).
◕‿◕

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
Is there anything to that game besides erping and idiots with knuckles avatars pretending to Ugandan?

fat

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »
Until now, portable headsets have been limited to tracking head movement using cords and external sensors. In reality, you can experience content by turning your head left to right at court-side in a live basketball game, glancing skyward at snow-capped mountains or looking behind you in 360-degree spherical videos. But now with WorldSense’s inside-out positional tracking technology, the headset can mirror real life by tracking its position in space through built-in tracking cameras and sensors.

That's pretty much what those MS Mixed Reality headsets all do.
sup

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2018, 05:37:53 AM »
Tried VR Worlds for the first time, I'm sort of concerned about trying Rigs after almost falling on my ass when playing that stupid space game in VR Worlds. It may not be photorealistic, but it sure does manage to trick the brain. That Pong game was pretty slick too.

Any other good stuff available for the PSVR?

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
Tried VR Worlds for the first time, I'm sort of concerned about trying Rigs after almost falling on my ass when playing that stupid space game in VR Worlds. It may not be photorealistic, but it sure does manage to trick the brain. That Pong game was pretty slick too.

Any other good stuff available for the PSVR?

RE7
Megaton Rainfall
Invisible Hours

Tasty

« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:32 PM »

That's pretty much what those MS Mixed Reality headsets all do.

There's no wires and you don't need a PC?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
I was just referring to the inside out tracking. Allegedly HoloLens will be totally wireless.
sup

Bebpo

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »
So the Until Dawn team came out with an Until Dawn VR prequel multi-playthrough required 2 hour adventure game today called The Inpatient. Gonna try it out, get VR sick and report back.

Bebpo

« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2018, 12:32:03 AM »
Meh, not feeling it. Looks nice (especially when I tried The Invisible Hours after which looked like a PS2 game in comparison), but so slow and boring. Lot of sitting/standing waiting for things to happen and choosing some dialogues. Then you move around and there's dumb jump scares.

Still waiting for that VR must-have, Rez Infinite has probably been the closest still.

Tasty

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:33 PM »

Looks hot?  :vr :ryker

bluemax

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »
I've had people tell me they got ill just looking at trailers for Sprint Vector, people who are very experienced with VR.

Survios sure seems to be rushing to push out tons of content.
NO

Tasty

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2018, 11:04:20 PM »
I just got done with my longest VR session ever (2 hours), all in just one game: Darknet.

Seems to be available on Steam, Oculus, Gear VR and Daydream. Very fun little strategy game.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2018, 09:09:52 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2018, 09:39:46 PM »
I doubt anyone cares but I made a spergsheet comparing the current and upcoming Daydream, Oculus, and Vive headsets.

I'm still pretty excited for the Mirage Solo, if they get the price down to $300 or so I think it'll be a great value. Daydream just needs a bit more content but I'm really looking forward to the rise of standalone headsets.

bluemax

« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2018, 11:38:38 PM »
PSVR going temporarily cheap again starting on Monday.
NO

Tasty

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
:crazy

bluemax

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 01:48:23 AM »
My computer at work got completely hosed because of that. It hard locked installing the update this morning and I ended up having to system restore and reinstall everything.
NO

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2018, 02:08:44 AM »

All according to keikaku.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:19:32 AM by D3RANG3D »

Tasty

« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2018, 04:07:00 PM »
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:14:37 PM by Tasty Meat »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2018, 05:10:23 AM »

Sho Nuff

« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2018, 05:10:41 PM »
This came out of nowhere and we have been playing the shit out of it at work. HOLY CRAP IT IS SO FUCKING GOOD but turn off the comfort settings at your own risk.

Really refreshing to see a game where there aren't any compromises in the VR mode and it lets you play the whole campaign (cough cough Gran Turismo Sport)

bluemax

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2018, 03:09:39 AM »
Sony also officially dropped the price of the PSVR by $100.
NO

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »
WIPEOUT VR IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAY WANTED BUT NEVER KNEW. HOLY FFFFF  :lawd

:rejoice

Sho Nuff

« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
WIPEOUT VR IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAY WANTED BUT NEVER KNEW. HOLY FFFFF  :lawd

:rejoice

I am playing the living fuck out of this multiple times a week. After the race I like to go into photo mode and freeze the game and look at the tracks, they are seriously just fucking nuts looking, production design on that game is beyond comprehension IMHO

Afterwards to cool down I usually take an 80s Toyota for a spin in Gran Turismo sport with 80s music blasting on Spotify. (They just implemented Time Attack in VR so you can actually get Mileage Points from it as opposed to literally no payoff)

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2018, 11:47:29 PM »
It's making me appreciate 2048 more than I ever did before, it never really clicked, and now QUEENS MALL OMG.

I will have to revisit GTS, it was one of the few VR games that made me nauseous, but that was many patches ago and I have been meaning to revisit in general. 

Sho Nuff

« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2018, 02:02:00 AM »
GTS is better. It's still not the full fat experience of Wipeout, and the racing is severely limited to 1-on-1, but at least doing races/time attack now nets you points for buying more shit.

Also apparently some of the cars don't work in VR? I got a daily workout reward car and it didn't show up in my garage in VR mode. SMH

bluemax

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2018, 11:27:39 PM »
Tried out Wipeout VR on my lunch break the other day, was definitely pretty cool and some of those drops did a number on me. Will have to try more.

Also played the Zone of the Enders MVRS demo today. I enjoyed it, just wish they'd also done the cutscenes in VR and they had a slightly better solution for the melee. Still, it is definitely pretty neat.

BTW, UploadVR has a bunch of write ups on some all of Sony's big upcoming PSVR games, worth reading for those who are interested.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Disclaimer: I worked on one of the games that is part of Sony's lineup but I will purposely not post anything about it.
[close]
NO

naff

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2018, 06:37:52 PM »
wipeout hd is one of my GOAT. PS4 actually looking like a p decent purchase these days even if i'm mostly about that pc lyf.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
Man, I still need to hook in my PSVR again and try Wipeout HD and GTS VR and anything else new & good in the last few months. I'll never get used to VR motion because I play it like one day every 6 months ^^;

I'm excited about the Fromsoft game though.

kingv

« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2018, 12:24:21 PM »
So i finally was able to play some VR and man, I kind of understand the hype.

It’s very cool for experiences. I’m not convinced that I want to play games on one for hours on end, but it was pretty neat for what it was. Thumper was pretty dope VR, and  vaguely liked the Last Guardian experience thing... even though it was super limited.

Perhaps my favorite was actually the demo of that weird dinosaur cowboy sims game. Dino Experience or something like that? The game is probably lame, but the interface is really fun.

Also his AC went out yesterday so we had fans blasting our face. Really added to the thumper experience, lol

Tasty

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2018, 01:32:00 PM »
https://developers.googleblog.com/2018/09/new-experimental-features-for-daydream.html

- 6 DoF controllers confirmed for Daydream (the Daydream-powered Lenovo Mirage Solo already supported 6 DoF head-tracking.) This puts the mobile VR tracking experience on-par with full PC VR for the first time.
- "See-through" mode confirmed. Basically use your Daydream VR headset as an AR headset via the camera.
- Smartphone Android apps are also confirmed. They run in a virtual window (seems like just one at a time right now.) Gear VR has had this for a while so it's finally good to see here.

With these, especially native Android app support, Daydream just got a whole fuckton more compelling.

Wonder if Google will announce any hardware at their October 9th event. :thinking

Tasty

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2018, 02:20:47 PM »
https://developers.google.com/vr/experimental/6dof-controllers

Possibly just-as-big news: the new 6 DoF Daydream controller adds two new buttons: a trigger (finally!) and a "grip" button.

All of this is long overdue and positions Daydream well to take on low/mid-end VR.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2018, 12:06:26 PM »
I got to play with the Magic Leap today. It's basically R-Zone 2018 and the most embarrassing piece of hardware ever given the billion dollar investment.

Tasty

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2018, 01:17:09 PM »
I got to play with the Magic Leap today. It's basically R-Zone 2018 and the most embarrassing piece of hardware ever given the billion dollar investment.

Holy shit really? :lol What was wrong with it?

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2018, 01:20:01 PM »
Yes plz dish
rub

Sho Nuff

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »
Horrible display, tracking that constantly loses positioning, incredibly limited field of view that is the size of a postage stamp, inability to resolve anything closer than two feet away from your face, very confused hand tracking. Maybe my unit was broken or something, but I found it unusable.

Oh right, the effect is totally lost if the lights are on in the room, but then when you turn the lights off tracking gets way worse. Imagine a bargain basement hololens knockoff powered by Android, that's the only way I can put it.

The guy I was with was like, yeah, it's basically R-Zone 2018

Tasty

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2018, 06:45:25 PM »
:lol Yeah I raised an eyebrow when previews posted the field of view. Sounds like they have a lot of work before they can ship a 1.0 that won't bomb spectacularly.

Tasty

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/26/oculus-quest-ships-in-the-spring-for-399/

Neat. Google definitely announced all that experimental stuff last week because they knew this was coming.

Loving this competition. Just hope both stick it out, cause it's gonna be a process getting this experience good enough, and inexpensive enough, to be a big hit.

That said, based on what I've been seeing lately, we're probably only a year or two away from these standalones getting widely popular.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2018, 05:53:44 PM »
https://techcrunch.com/2018/09/26/oculus-quest-ships-in-the-spring-for-399/

Neat. Google definitely announced all that experimental stuff last week because they knew this was coming.

Loving this competition. Just hope both stick it out, cause it's gonna be a process getting this experience good enough, and inexpensive enough, to be a big hit.

That said, based on what I've been seeing lately, we're probably only a year or two away from these standalones getting widely popular.

I’m not so sure they’ll get popular without both a significant power boost and a significant battery life boost. The power is probably available today to make a pretty decent headset like this, but it would have a battery life of about 10 minutes. It’s grim because battery tech has been moving pretty slowly.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2018, 10:29:03 PM »
I think the important thing for "normies" is refresh rate, resolution, degrees of freedom, and viewing angles. The Oculus Quest matches or exceeds all current desktop VR systems on almost all of these (75 Hz, 3200 x 1440, 6DoF, and 110 degrees, respectively.) I think you can easily demonstrate experiences like Beat Saber and last-gen console games, and that's still very compelling for a mainstream audience.

Battery life is probably even less important than raw power, at least for the first few gens. These things are going to be played in homes at first, and likely not for very long. With that said, the Lenovo Mirage Solo (a comparable headset in power) lasts around 3.5 hours, and I'd expect the Quest to be similar. Plus, as long as these standalone headsets are based on smartphone tech, they'll pick up the various power-saving upgrades Qualcomm makes in the coming years.

I'm betting we're 1-2 years away from a $200 standalone headset with better specs than the Quest. And that's when I think this will go mainstream.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 10:33:55 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »
Also, Facebook/Oculus are idiots if they don't allow the Quest to be used as a "standard" Vive headset (with PC connection.) There's no technical reason not to allow some kind of passthrough.

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #114 on: October 07, 2018, 09:29:26 PM »
I got to play with a Hololens for a about an hour today. Unbelievable tech. It was a little emotional to be honest.
rub

Sho Nuff

« Reply #115 on: October 08, 2018, 09:12:39 PM »
Also, Facebook/Oculus are idiots if they don't allow the Quest to be used as a "standard" Vive headset (with PC connection.) There's no technical reason not to allow some kind of passthrough.

With no hardline into the display you'd have to pipe the video in wirelessly. The latency would make you toss cookies

Tasty

« Reply #116 on: October 09, 2018, 03:20:10 AM »

With no hardline into the display you'd have to pipe the video in wirelessly. The latency would make you toss cookies

HTC is going wireless with a fanny pack. :trumps

Bebpo

« Reply #117 on: October 09, 2018, 03:28:05 AM »
I started playing this Astrobot VR thing everyone is raving about and it's pretty great. First VR anything that has kept my attention past 20 mins. Has that Locoroco Sony Japan Studio charm. Dunno if it's worth the hype but it's definitely a cool fun platformer so far.

Also finally tried Wipeout VR since I turned on my VR for the first time in like a year. Was kinda disappointing. Like yeah you can get all fast and motion sickness but even if you do that I never got the feeling of like being on a rollercoaster. Just feels like...Wipeout but with less visibility. Kinda cool for 15 mins but then was really over it and felt like shit oh well.

naff

« Reply #118 on: October 09, 2018, 08:26:31 AM »
Picked up a PiMax 4k second hand for ~120USD  :gladbron

Seems the best headset right now for movies (until the 5k+/8k comes out). Mainly got it to showcase interactive vr films and other er content, but keen to see how the latest Il-2 and Elite play. Prob time to upgrade my card :'(
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
You can go straight into HDMI on the Vive hardware, no such inputs exist on the Oculus rig.