Author Topic: The Fall of the House of Musker  (Read 38697 times)

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
Re: The Church of Elon Musk
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2018, 06:33:30 AM »
2018: A Musk Odyssey

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2018, 10:39:53 AM »
Alan Fitzsimmons, an astronomer with Queen’s University in Belfast who studies minor bodies, asteroids and comets, tweeted that his initial calculations show the “chance of hitting a planet is almost zero. Most near-Earth asteroids end by solar vaporization or ejection from the solar system by Jupiter. Near Earth Cars should be the same.”

:dead

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2018, 10:42:41 AM »
Imagine if this dude had actually decided to do something with his wealth instead of becoming a huckster

Syph

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
 :confused
XO

Raist

« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2018, 09:26:11 AM »

bluemax

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2018, 10:50:19 PM »
https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/status/997306988492017664

Musk is doing a presentation thing in Beverly Hills to try and convince people to let him build his tunnels while skipping normal bureaucracy.

Youtube:
NO

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2018, 12:01:07 PM »
©ZH

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2018, 12:28:12 PM »
ICYMI: The Model 3's stopping distance can't be reliably measured and Tesla is promising an update to correct the issue.

I'm glad tech has brought their "uwu we exploded the internet our apologies for the mess" mentality to the road.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2018, 06:11:56 PM »
That is definitely not the kind of fucky wucky I want to see. But then they only have to kill fewer people than human drivers...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2018, 06:35:42 PM »
I read yesterday that Elon's new car has the stopping distance of a broken Ford pick-up truck and was the worst the advisory board has ever tested for a car in it's class. Not sure how a software update will fix that.
The build quality of the new Tesla seems quite bad. Not sure why he didn't just stuck to luxury cars instead. Tesla doesn't seem like a brand that's ready to go 'mainstream' yet.
🤴

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2018, 07:05:05 PM »
The Consumer Reports test matched the advertised stopping distance on the first attempt but the results degraded after that to the distance you detailed. (Forgive me if I am inaccurate in some of those details.) The long distance is embarrassing, but drivers being unable to predict the stopping distance in general based on prior experience is the public safety issue.

Tesla uses electronic systems in their brakes (e.g.regenerative braking) so presumably they have some ability to adjust them with software updates.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
I'm glad tech has brought their "uwu we exploded the internet our apologies for the mess" mentality to the road.

That is definitely not the kind of fucky wucky I want to see.

I legit laughed.

bluemax

« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2018, 11:27:44 PM »
ICYMI: The Model 3's stopping distance can't be reliably measured and Tesla is promising an update to correct the issue.

At least they're bombing out of the medical industry, so far.
NO

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #76 on: May 23, 2018, 05:59:05 PM »
Trump has a new ally against the FAKE NEWS MEDIA

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/999374720368689153

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/999357298861486080

:neogaf

Elon next month: "What do you mean you had a crash with my car. That's fake news! My cars are perfect!"
🤴

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
Elon Musk just invented Verrit.

shosta

每天生气

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #79 on: May 23, 2018, 09:35:24 PM »
Elon next month: "What do you mean you had a crash with my car. That's fake news! My cars are perfect!"

https://twitter.com/lukeoneil47/status/998753452904861696
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:08 AM »
Tesla CEO Elon Musk blasts media, pitches site to rate journalists: 'No one believes you'

This is the guy who stopped a press phone call because the questions were "boring" (read: hard and legitimate) and instead decided to give an exclusive interviewer to some relatively unknown dude on YouTube who is clearly a fanboy.
NO

bluemax

NO

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2018, 02:48:58 AM »
the best thing he's done and will ever do for humanity is Neon Joe season 2

kingv

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4176821-tesla-investors-beware-elon-musk-media-attack

Pretty good summary of some of the numerous lies and failures of Musk at Tesla.

I wonder what is going to happen with them... does Musk own enough of the company to prevent his ouster as CEO?

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
The Consumer Reports test matched the advertised stopping distance on the first attempt but the results degraded after that to the distance you detailed. (Forgive me if I am inaccurate in some of those details.) The long distance is embarrassing, but drivers being unable to predict the stopping distance in general based on prior experience is the public safety issue.

Tesla uses electronic systems in their brakes (e.g.regenerative braking) so presumably they have some ability to adjust them with software updates.

I think the software update is going to be for the ABS. Some early cars with ABS would have a separate ECU just to calculate when the tires are skidding and regen brakes should just be a constant that's applied to the amount of brake force being applied.

Of course, 30 years later you would expect the process of dialing in an aggressive but reliable ABS to be fairly well-documented and straightforward. The only reason I can imagine a modern car having ABS issues is that they didn't spend enough time going through the steps of tuning a braking profile.

I am not an engineer.

Kara

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2018, 02:08:05 PM »
i can't imagine being both that rich and simultaneously thin skinned. dude's a bitch

Boredfrom

« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »
i can't imagine being both that rich and simultaneously thin skinned. dude's a bitch

I totally can. Born rich just gives you a huge stat boost.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2018, 03:32:06 PM »
It doesn't necessarily mean things will turn out the same way, but Musk reacting to bad press the way Theranos did is less than reassuring.

kingv

« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2018, 06:18:11 PM »
I think the Tesla brand has value, and worst case scenario is that some other car manufacturer buys the Brad and designs but makes the cars their own way.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2018, 07:17:24 PM »
You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become Jeff Bezos
:9

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2018, 09:12:27 AM »
Investigation on a self-driving Uber, but whatever, because autonomous cars.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/05/emergency-brakes-were-disabled-by-ubers-self-driving-software-ntsb-says/

smooth ride > emergency breaking

shosta

每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2018, 10:27:42 PM »
lol if Musk is earnest he is incredibly naive to think his news credibility rating site wouldn't instantly turn into a tribal battleground.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2018, 11:48:47 PM »
http://fortune.com/2018/05/27/elon-musk-media-nxivm-keith-raniere/

The problem with Musk’s endorsement is that The Knife, previously known as The Knife of Aristotle, has been linked to NXIVM, a marketing company that is allegedly a front for a secret group known as DOS, and which has been described as a cult by experts. NXIVM’s leader, Kieth Ranier, was arrested in March on charges of sex trafficking and abuse, including branding female members of DOS. The FBI’s efforts to rein in the group are ongoing.

Musk has since deleted his endorsement, which was archived by Slate. After being alerted to the article’s problematic origins, though, Musk seemed to double down, writing that the article “had better critical analysis than most non-cult media.”

:lol

shosta

« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/19/technology/tesla-fire-musk-note/index.html
In an email to Tesla employees late Sunday night, CEO Elon Musk says that an unnamed employee admitted to sabotaging the company's Freemont, California plant. The problem comes as Tesla scrambles to boost production of its Model 3 sedan to 5,000 a week by early July -- the rate at which Musk says the company can become profitable.
Musk said the Tesla employee had confessed to "quite extensive and damaging sabotage to our operations." The email said the employee made changes to the computer code of the company's manufacturing operating system. The employee also exported large amounts of highly sensitive company data to unknown third parties.
Reasonable case of disgruntled employee. But then...
"There are a long list of organizations that want Tesla to die," Musk wrote. "These include Wall Street short-sellers, who have already lost billions of dollars and stand to lose a lot more. Then there are the oil & gas companies, the wealthiest industries in the world -- they don't love the idea of Tesla advancing the progress of solar power & electric cars. Don't want to blow your mind, but rumor has it that those companies are sometimes not super nice. Then there are the multitude of big gas/diesel car company competitors. If they're willing to cheat so much about emissions, maybe they're willing to cheat in other ways?"
"Could just be a random event, but as Andy Grove said, 'Only the paranoid survive,'" wrote Musk
:hans1
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »
But this employee is not charged with a crime because why?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2018, 04:36:06 PM »
But this employee is not charged with a crime because why?

Can't be indicted for a crime if you don't exist.  :rollsafe
dog

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »
Elon Musk commissioned a "kid sized submarine" to his SpaceX engineers in order to help the Thai kids trapped in a cave.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/07/elon-musk-making-kid-sized-submarine-to-rescue-teens-in-thailand-cave/

I mean... I can't fault him for helping in a meaningful way, I'm sure his heart is in the right place (beyond just the excellent PR unless they use it and it is a catastrophe) and that whole rescue is complicated enough some unconventional help may be needed but as always with Musk I'm a bit skeptical of his grand statements. One of the major issue here is how narrow and convoluted the whole cave system is. I'm doubtful they have all the information needed to actually have the right specs, no matter how good the engineers are.

Anyway... More power to him if he helps in any way saving those kids.
ὕβρις

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2018, 08:13:40 PM »
beats the goofy inflatable tube idea he had yesterday

shosta

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2018, 10:43:21 PM »
A submarine? If I might make a referral...
每天生气

kingv

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2018, 09:17:25 AM »
The fact that Elon musk is out here telling his engineers to design a kid sized submarine to rescue these kids should scare the shit out of his investors.

The dude really is techno trump. It’s just wasting time and money on cockamamie bullshit that everyone knows is going nowhere to get in the headlines.

warcock

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2018, 10:03:15 AM »
he's gonna get absolutely creamed, here is very shoddily constructed parallel that i use to demonstrate my statement.

https://informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/million-lines-of-code/

Scroll down to car software. Expand this to all other components of a car. Silicon valley sucks its own useless dick/and-or/vagina(google HR salute).

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »
I'm surprised his stock hasn't plummeted even farther after this latest PR move. He may be losing his mind.

Coax

« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
Footage of a diver moving through one of the narrowest parts of the cave, requiring them to remove their gear. There's no way I could picture a sub passing through that gap.

https://imgur.com/57hDP8W

Kara

« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »
I'm surprised his stock hasn't plummeted even farther after this latest PR move. He may be losing his mind.

He just got a mass transit deal with Chicago; people will be propping that stock up for a long time unless the rumors about Model 3 are true.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2018, 12:51:39 PM »

Word on the blind items scene is that he’s recently turned into an enormous cokehead. I always take these rumors with a fuckin’ quarter cup of salt, but the statements he’s been making the past six months or so seem to have gotten dumber and crazier, not to mention the whole dating an untalented pop star thing.
serge

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2018, 01:05:01 PM »
Footage of a diver moving through one of the narrowest parts of the cave, requiring them to remove their gear. There's no way I could picture a sub passing through that gap.

yo, i wouldn't even fit through that shit.

Musk is definitely on that yayo

Raist

« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2018, 01:58:32 PM »

To clarify, his "submarine" is basically a coffin made out of a recycled falcon rocket material or something.

The real question is, why the fuck did the kids and that coach go through such narrow spaces in the first place?

edit: apparently they got 4 out already. If it was that "easy" why didn't they do this earlier?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 02:02:40 PM by Raist »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2018, 02:04:16 PM »

To clarify, his "submarine" is basically a coffin made out of a recycled falcon rocket material or something.

The real question is, why the fuck did the kids and that coach go through such narrow spaces in the first place?

Apparently it's much more easy to navigate when dry, and as far as I understand not uncommon. They also fled farther into the cave and to less well known parts when the water started pouring in, the monsoon hitting the region unusually early.
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2018, 03:41:49 PM »

He just got a mass transit deal with Chicago; people will be propping that stock up for a long time unless the rumors about Model 3 are true.

I don’t think That shit will ever actually be built (by Musk)

He got a “deal” that is “the boring company will build the whole thing and pay for it based on a hypothetical design that doesn’t exist yet and has never been tested”

It might be lucrative if he can get it built, assuming it is faster and a little more expensive than the blue lien...but that’s a lot of ifs.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »
There’s like a 30% (and rising) chance that the Elon Musk story ends up similar to this

https://jalopnik.com/murder-transsexuals-and-the-price-is-right-the-story-464820740
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 04:48:41 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2018, 04:39:42 PM »
edit: apparently they got 4 out already. If it was that "easy" why didn't they do this earlier?

I believe they had to train them in diving with respirators and it involves quite a bit of prep (IIRC they have to set up bottles along and the whole way is over 2 hours). It involves a dozen if not twenty experienced divers including quite a bit of foreign ones.

I mean a Thai Navy diver died on the route, it's definitely not risk free.

The authorities also weighted their possibilities and hoped that maybe the weather would allow for keeping them longer there (the safest thing) while they build up prep, drilling, etc... Monsoon forecasts apparently prompted for action sooner than later.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #113 on: July 09, 2018, 03:26:46 AM »
To correct something : a whole one way trip is 5 hours or more.
ὕβρις

kingv

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2018, 08:02:44 AM »
So Elon finishes his submarine, posts like 100 twitter updates of a bunch of divers maneuvering it in the pool of his local YMCA and flies to Thailand to look at a cave, and the is like “ok, I’ll leave this submarine here in case you guys want to use it”. They don’t use it.

People on twitter call him a hero. Does he buy his followers or something, or are people just that insane?

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2018, 08:16:51 AM »
defo the latter - people were having a go at someone who tweeted their husband's tesla exploded for tweeting it happened

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2018, 10:33:32 AM »
Well, he did expand some money and resources for it, can't take that away though that's not heroic.
ὕβρις

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2018, 11:02:07 AM »
"i'm gonna make this sub for yall"
"no thanks we dont want it"
"i'm making it now"
"please do not"
"here i brought you a sub"
"we arent going to use it"
"i know, i'm the best ever"

truly a modern day superhero :doge

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2018, 12:25:16 PM »
So Elon finishes his submarine, posts like 100 twitter updates of a bunch of divers maneuvering it in the pool of his local YMCA and flies to Thailand to look at a cave, and the is like “ok, I’ll leave this submarine here in case you guys want to use it”. They don’t use it.

People on twitter call him a hero. Does he buy his followers or something, or are people just that insane?
It isn't going unnoticed though https://gizmodo.com/is-elon-musk-serious-1827456578

but yeah, even in the comments sections he has defenders. People are stupid

kingv

« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
Well, he did expand some money and resources for it, can't take that away though that's not heroic.

Was it HIS money or shareholder money? This was a PR stunt through and through.

If you tell me that he took those engineers off of the payroll of SpaceX and paid for their salaries himself for the two or three weeks he worked on it, then sure. Otherwise this is just another way that Elon Musk is burning up investor capital.