Author Topic: #latestagecapitalism  (Read 360981 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: #latestagecapitalism
« Reply #1200 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:48 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1201 on: June 26, 2019, 12:55:15 PM »
 :whatisthis
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

team filler

• filler
  • filler

agrajag

team filler

• filler
  • filler

bluemax

NO

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1207 on: June 27, 2019, 05:09:29 PM »

:doge
🤴

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1208 on: June 27, 2019, 05:42:24 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
:lol reminds me of that legendary song he made when people were mad he was pro-Hillary

每天生气

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1211 on: June 27, 2019, 06:56:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/rysimmons/status/1144283018825277440
Fuck, i didn't win the 100k.
I thought it was going to be something like Mastercard, but lol.

Tasty

« Reply #1212 on: June 27, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
I guessed it was some auto manufacturer. They really love playing on those stupid emotions.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1213 on: June 27, 2019, 10:05:31 PM »
lmao @ that reveal
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1214 on: June 27, 2019, 10:38:58 PM »
I was thinking some retirement fund or life insurance or something.
^_^

team filler

• filler
  • filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1216 on: June 29, 2019, 02:55:19 AM »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #1217 on: June 29, 2019, 04:22:09 AM »
It could have nothing to do with a bad harvest due to weather changes

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1218 on: June 29, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »
©@©™

Tripon

« Reply #1219 on: June 29, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »

Tripon

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1221 on: June 29, 2019, 08:55:23 PM »
It's astonishing. Trump today said that the Palestine/Israel deal didn't need the Palestinians on board and they were acting 'cute'.

Running Kushner for President of Palestine with a "Make Palestine Great Again" agenda has to be the most bold and insane move of the administration yet.
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1222 on: June 30, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »

:doge

agrajag

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Margs

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #1225 on: July 01, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1226 on: July 02, 2019, 05:05:53 AM »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1227 on: July 02, 2019, 07:52:19 AM »
i've got several puma shoes.  :shaking

Tasty

« Reply #1228 on: July 02, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »
I have several pumas chained up out back :shaking

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1229 on: July 02, 2019, 09:33:59 AM »
i've got several puma shoes.  :shaking

Here's a solution. Just add "Boycott" above the Puma logo!
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #1230 on: July 03, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/BRANDONWARDELL/status/1146230170468007936

Throw in some clap emojis and obnoxious GIFs and you pretty much have the state of discourse today...

Tasty

« Reply #1231 on: July 03, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »
It helps to shop around. I saved about $3k paying for my grandma's funeral a few weeks ago. Still ended up putting $8k on my card though.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #1232 on: July 03, 2019, 12:23:57 PM »
Still absolutely disgusting how you have to "shop around" for deals on healthcare and funerals though. There shouldn't be a "marketplace" for this shit.

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #1233 on: July 03, 2019, 12:30:05 PM »
Without subjecting death to the market how would we get innovations like *checks notes* lobbying state and local governments to require survivors to buy caskets before a body can be cremated.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1234 on: July 03, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »
This is why I want to die at sea

Tasty

« Reply #1235 on: July 03, 2019, 12:46:30 PM »
We got about $1000 knocked off by doing it itemized instead of doing their package deal that was originally given to us, but they were cool with charging the extra grand for shit we weren't using and would have had we not asked it to be itemized. Really the craziest part to me is they need full payment immediately. Most people don't even have $500 on hand, let alone $5-12K or higher.

What happens when it can't be paid for? Do funeral homes just hold bodies hostage at that point?

Yes, that's the impression I got.

And yeah, it really should be illegal at least for the packaged vs. itemized shit to differ so greatly in costs. We ran into that too.

Never go with a corporate-owned funeral home either btw -- research which ones are vs. family-owned, and go with a family-owned/small business outfit.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #1236 on: July 03, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »
Without subjecting death to the market how would we get innovations like *checks notes* lobbying state and local governments to require survivors to buy caskets before a body can be cremated.

:bow Fetal Burial Laws :bow2
©@©™

Kara

« Reply #1237 on: July 03, 2019, 01:21:30 PM »
iirc funeral homes are a duopoly and they often buy local homes and keep the name / appearance of remaining under the same ownership. This was years and years ago, though.

Tasty

« Reply #1238 on: July 03, 2019, 01:44:22 PM »
iirc funeral homes are a duopoly and they often buy local homes and keep the name / appearance of remaining under the same ownership. This was years and years ago, though.

Yes. It's extremely difficult to find the mom-and-pop ones, but they do exist and they're worth finding.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1239 on: July 03, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
too expensive to die these day  :stahp

selling bbq plated when family members die  :pitbull

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1240 on: July 03, 2019, 02:19:09 PM »
You might not have a personal experience with #latestagecapitalism until you get an itemized bill from a funeral home and see shit like:

$300 for an obituary in the local paper (something that was free for decades, just a death notice is $65)
$2100 for cremation, this doesn't include the urn or any services
$300 and up for an urn, even if you're using a temporary urn and will be using your own or moving the ashes to your own
Referring to the guest books/thank you cards as "merchandise"
Payments are due in full before services are rendered, which is really wild to me since you're expecting people who just lost a family member (who may have been the head of household and money might be tied up in the immediate aftermath) to have anywhere from $4000-12000 and up on hand immediately.

Shit is pretty wild, tbh

dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1241 on: July 03, 2019, 02:22:22 PM »
I'm still paying off my granpa's funeral, from the start of the year.  :doge

Why can't you just throw bodies in the river, wrapped in plastic?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1242 on: July 03, 2019, 02:43:13 PM »
 ::)

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1243 on: July 03, 2019, 02:44:15 PM »
If only there were other ways to borrow money, or some sort of credit service, maybe one's with cards accepted by businesses that give them money in exchange for you paying it off over time or something.

And you wonder why people think you’re a hateful bitch  :gurl

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1244 on: July 03, 2019, 02:47:12 PM »
neolib elitism :girlaff

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1245 on: July 03, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »
That comment was you belittling someone for having difficulty paying for a funeral, find a grip

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1246 on: July 03, 2019, 03:00:35 PM »
Yeah, bro, it just really did come off as you dunking on a guy having to navigate that same shit. Long winded sarcasm usually lands as trying to make the reader feel stupid. Also, in this case, as presenting going into credit card debt to cover a funeral as an obvious, easy solution. What if the person has a shit score or no lending history, we cool with putting them through crazy interest rates because funeral homes are putting their balls in a vice during a time of grief?

Sorry about the loss of your mother, I very much dread that situation

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1247 on: July 03, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »
Yes we entirely agree now so I’m bored 😘

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #1248 on: July 03, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »
Pissing people off generates more posts so I’m generally good with that

Contentious content engaging enraged posters perfectly becoming bire

agrajag

« Reply #1249 on: July 03, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
I know I've been kind of boring lately, not even getting into arguments with anyone;  I'll try to do better.

you should try taking a page out of MMaRsu's playbook

agrajag

« Reply #1250 on: July 03, 2019, 03:26:13 PM »

you should try taking a page out of MMaRsu's playbook

asking someone to emulate dutch forum posting patterns is irresponsible :ufup

Tasty

« Reply #1251 on: July 03, 2019, 03:29:33 PM »
If only there were other ways to borrow money, or some sort of credit service, maybe one's with cards accepted by businesses that give them money in exchange for you paying it off over time or something.

Yeah so, that $8k I threw on my card for a few weeks for my grandma's funeral ago pushed it over the limit and now my credit's pretty fucked for the near future.

Scary part is that I was the only one with a limit high enough to do it, and we still ended up splitting off a part so someone else in the family could help.

agrajag

« Reply #1252 on: July 03, 2019, 03:33:18 PM »

Yeah so, that $8k I threw on my card for a few weeks for my grandma's funeral ago pushed it over the limit and now my credit's pretty fucked for the near future.

Scary part is that I was the only one with a limit high enough to do it, and we still ended up splitting off a part so someone else in the family could help.

It's kind of a weird thing to ask, imo, but have you tried crowdfunding with the funeral costs? When my mom passed a way, my sister's friends started a donation through Facebook, ended up collecting like $2,500. It ain't nothing. But like I said, I could never do that myself, I feel weird asking people for money.

Kara

« Reply #1253 on: July 03, 2019, 03:39:06 PM »
I apologize if it came off insensitive.. I was raging along with you guys but didn't comment as discussing this shit is pretty triggering to me (laugh if you want, I have PTSD surrounding the death of my Mother).

But you really wouldn't want these assholes involved in any sort of credit arrangement is all I'm saying, as poorly as I came across that's all I meant.

Sorry I liked some posts dunking on you for your initial reply. (Not going to be a chicken and unlike now that I've read the whole discussion.)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1254 on: July 03, 2019, 03:41:15 PM »
is it really just us poor mexicanos that do bbq fundraisers for every funeral?  :doge

agrajag

« Reply #1255 on: July 03, 2019, 03:41:19 PM »
I deserve the dunking, really not sure where my head was at there.

up your ass, which shosta says you need to scrub the shit out of with a wash cloth

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #1256 on: July 03, 2019, 03:42:53 PM »
is it really just us poor mexicanos that do bbq fundraisers for every funeral?  :doge
I think it's just latinos who actually honor their dead these days, white people put them in shitty homes waiting for them to die
每天生气

Kara

« Reply #1257 on: July 03, 2019, 03:44:30 PM »
On this macabre topic, in New York City I believe they bury you in a potter's field on an island in the Bronx if you're too indignant to have a funeral that's paid for. It's basically a mass grave and I only know of it because that's where they bury some convicts and it comes up in episodes of Law & Order.

You also have to get special permission to go if you're family of the deceased because it's not truly open to the public.

Can't imagine a stupider and crueler "civilized" culture than ours, sometimes.

agrajag

« Reply #1258 on: July 03, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
I think it's just latinos who actually honor their dead these days, white people put them in shitty homes waiting for them to die

As a former Soviet person, that's part of American culture that I could never get my head around.

Putting old people in homes?  :nope

Living in a tiny two bedroom apartment with your in-laws until they die and then repeat the process with your kids and their husbands/wives?  :ohyeah

Tasty

« Reply #1259 on: July 03, 2019, 03:51:30 PM »

It's kind of a weird thing to ask, imo, but have you tried crowdfunding with the funeral costs? When my mom passed a way, my sister's friends started a donation through Facebook, ended up collecting like $2,500. It ain't nothing. But like I said, I could never do that myself, I feel weird asking people for money.

We're all poor losers with way too much pride, so while it was considered at various points the decision was made to handle it in-house.