Author Topic: Maybe the real NeoGAF was the friends we made along the way...  (Read 2151293 times)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Re: TheBore Safe Haven from GAF Alt-Right Mods - Evilore? I don't know her.
« Reply #9060 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:07 PM »
Angelus Errare

Oh damn, I just got offered to be a mod on ResetEra…that's uh different.

He was taking the piss.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #9061 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:30 PM »
So ResetEra will just be the BCT, but worse?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9062 on: October 23, 2017, 01:15:33 PM »
Angelus Errare

Oh damn, I just got offered to be a mod on ResetEra…that's uh different.

He was taking the piss.

Good troll, respect the game :obama
ὕβρις

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #9063 on: October 23, 2017, 01:15:52 PM »
Is headwalk duckroll? Because if you are you can get fucked you son of bitch.

border

« Reply #9064 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:00 PM »
Now when you search for anything NeoGAF or EviLore, all you get are sexual assault accusations.

Sexual assault allegations have been like the first or second result of a Google Search for "Tyler Malka" or "Evilore" for like, years at this point.  This is not a new development at all.

The Reddit hate crowd are SEO experts, and managed to push those results to the top of the list a long time ago.  That's why it rings so false when people who could have said something (moderators, journalists) are like "Oh, I had no idea".

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #9065 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:20 PM »
I never had the pleasure of knowing this Angelus bloke, but isn't he the extremely racist crazy person who Besada gave a free pass to abuse others?

I ask because apparently he's going to be a mod at ResetERA.

YUP: https://i0.wp.com/theralphretort.com/wp-content/uploads/pXoCMkx.gif?resize=1263%2C297

He's not racist; he's black (or mixed.)

He just constantly does the same shtick; which is to post as if he's a racist / clueless troll.

:crowdlaff

Leadbelly

« Reply #9066 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:32 PM »
Well this Evilore commotion lead me here. It certainly is an interesting turn of events.

I was permanently banned from GAF, and it seemed like it was politically motivated. It was interesting reading Opiate's comments on this. His demodding seemed politically motivated too.

The reason given officially for my ban was apparently calling Carrie Fisher 'ugly' (before she died). I didn't actually call her ugly, I wrote that she looked like shit before she lost some weight. The context was Carrie Fisher bemoaning Hollywood beauty standards for feeling that she needed to lose weight. She was unhealthily obese for goodness sake, it really seemed inappropriate to be blaming Hollywood for it. That's not to say there isn't merit in criticising Hollywood, it's just that she was in no position to. Anyway that was what got me a permanent ban.

The thing was though, that wasn't all that was written as a reason for my ban. The admin then went on to accuse me of being a secret MRA. While acknowledging that I don't actually identify as a MRA, the admin went on to accuse me of being one covertly and apparently it was really transparent. I think a good translation for people who are sane would be: I am someone who always weighed in on controversial subjects with opinions that were contrary to the post-modern social justice worldview that GAF wanted to promote and propagate. You couldn't possibly hold such opinions -- in the minds of the admins on GAF -- without being an MRA. It's that same paranoid conspiratorial thinking you got from a lot of the members on GAF that used to drive me crazy (lol).

Interestingly, my ban occured before 'alt-right' really came into common vernacular. If it happened today I probably would have been accused of being a secret 'alt-right' agent, trying to infiltrate and subvert GAF.

So, yeah, an interesting turn of events...

Deavl

« Reply #9067 on: October 23, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »

Haha, good one

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #9068 on: October 23, 2017, 01:17:07 PM »

Is tokyosandblaster Green Shinobi?
Unzip

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9069 on: October 23, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
Quote from: riotous

:confused

nudemacusers

« Reply #9070 on: October 23, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
Don’t remember angelus being particularly annoying, sure took advantage of the ‘mod favoritism’ but that’s how you survive the digital jungle. When I had my rope back in the day used it too. I Kill or be killed. :cody
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Pwnz

« Reply #9071 on: October 23, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
Looks like GAF is coming back up, so if you could all form a que to the left (get it?) and exit in a safe manner. Nice seeing y'all.

As it should. The furor over what EL was accused is ridiculously overblown, so much so that I'm shocked he took the site down. Most GAF members are either indifferent to the accusation or felt it was an innoccously untoward act committed by someone naively unclear on how to conduct themselves in that kind of sexually charged situation. They just want their forum back.

You mean they want their echo-chamber back where they don't want their opinions challenged.

First, is there something inherently wrong with an "echo chamber"? Is there a problem fostering a community where rank bigotry was deem unacceptable and forbidden? Also, can you give me some examples of valid opinions that GAF refused the expression of? Or, what opinions on GAF were deemed above reproach and undeserving of challenge?

GAF banned a lot more than rank bigotry.

There is a huge difference between nazism and politely suggesting that Nintendo was in the right for firing someone who is moonlighting as a prostitute.

Yeah, I got banned for a week a few years back because I called out bullshit a series of red herrings/strawman against Libertarians.  Since then I largely avoid those threads and they're mostly posts calling Libertarians idiots.

Refreshing here to see a wide political spectrum again that's able to voice their opinion.  This is more GAF than neoGAF has been in the last 8 years.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #9072 on: October 23, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
The Walrus thanks you for your efforts soldier  :salute

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9073 on: October 23, 2017, 01:18:30 PM »
Sure, why not.

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #9074 on: October 23, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
Not exactly interested in slaent cross forum drama. Dude's decided we were hotdog platypus tier a long time ago and that won't change. It doesn't help that we'd rather engage with etiolate and JayDubya instead of banning them as soon as they say something that doesn't sit well with the rest of us. They decided what they want their community to be and more power to them :yeshrug

Seems like we need a little something to get our minds off all the rest of the bullshit. So we can move on from having large swaths of posts in minutes and the bore can go back to the chill small town it always was. Something important like:

THE STATEMENT

"The statement" is approaching the "Hillary's emails" level

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #9075 on: October 23, 2017, 01:19:14 PM »
No, he posts under Jack Remington now.

He's always switching accounts to stay one step ahead of The Bore's ruthless mods and admins.

K

« Reply #9076 on: October 23, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
Who honestly believes in this resetera bs?

The forum will mainly be a "progressive forum" with a gaming section slapped on. NeoGAF, how terrible it once became was mainly a gaming forum that let its OT section take over the discourse.

If EviLore was smart, he'd shut that section down to get rid of the aids. Instead of running his joint, he was busy sexually assaulting women.

Enjoy unemployment Tyler.

Bravotyler

« Reply #9077 on: October 23, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »
I'll move to Resetera when Loudninja is confirmed to be running the NPD and Media Create threads.

nudemacusers

« Reply #9078 on: October 23, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »
A little bit of duckroll is inside each of us.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9079 on: October 23, 2017, 01:20:59 PM »

He just constantly does the same shtick; which is to post as if he's a racist / clueless troll.

:crowdlaff

Quote from: riotous

:confused

He assumed Jay means racist against black people. Don't be that way after constantly whining about GAF doing it.

Jansen

« Reply #9080 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:17 PM »
Looks like GAF is coming back up, so if you could all form a que to the left (get it?) and exit in a safe manner. Nice seeing y'all.

As it should. The furor over what EL was accused is ridiculously overblown, so much so that I'm shocked he took the site down. Most GAF members are either indifferent to the accusation or felt it was an innoccously untoward act committed by someone naively unclear on how to conduct themselves in that kind of sexually charged situation. They just want their forum back.

You mean they want their echo-chamber back where they don't want their opinions challenged.

First, is there something inherently wrong with an "echo chamber"? Is there a problem fostering a community where rank bigotry was deem unacceptable and forbidden? Also, can you give me some examples of valid opinions that GAF refused the expression of? Or, what opinions on GAF were deemed above reproach and undeserving of challenge?

Yes echo chambers are wrong you dumb biatch

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #9081 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »
:delicious

:donot

Frankie_baby

« Reply #9082 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

Just moments before my current gaf ban I actually had somebody telling me i wasnt allowed to think the way i did for my opinion in the thread about that google maps cupcake thing, im as left wing and liberal as they come but just a bit of a variation from the narrative established got me banned again

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9083 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
Not exactly interested in slaent cross forum drama. Dude's decided we were hotdog platypus tier a long time ago and that won't change. It doesn't help that we'd rather engage with etiolate and JayDubya instead of banning them as soon as they say something that doesn't sit well with the rest of us. They decided what they want their community to be and more power to them :yeshrug

Seems like we need a little something to get our minds off all the rest of the bullshit. So we can move on from having large swaths of posts in minutes and the bore can go back to the chill small town it always was. Something important like:

THE STATEMENT

I'm with you. The links I posted were more to made fun of people here (and not there) or lift some info (They have better source to that Discord stuff, I'd say) but I guess that this inevitably can feed into a so called "beef" loop even if it's not the intention. Their GAF drama thread will be closed in a few days anyway and I imagine most newbies won't stick (they rarely do).
ὕβρις

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #9084 on: October 23, 2017, 01:21:59 PM »

Who are you, Enzom?  Fuck off with the "where's the receipts" bullshit.

jiji

« Reply #9085 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:06 PM »
I'm taking a good long look at the politics of the folks who are saltiest over their gaf bans  :hitler

Also, duckroll has never posted here.
OTL

benjipwns

« Reply #9086 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
http://twitter.com/TheChrisGlass/status/922511281734553600

well countless certainly is a form of number i guess

Himu

« Reply #9087 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:43 PM »
Blue tsunami I've misse you breh.

We gettin the OGs together now.
IYKYK

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #9088 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »

Moderation in this age of Trump, whose presidency has given rise to open and unapologetic affinity for fascism, is no different than collaboration. You cannot be a moderate in an environment where people go on social media, with their identities exposed, and gladly express vile and hateful views that were once relegated to the fringes of public opinion (yes, they've always existed in the shadows, but their open expression would always be met with swift and penalizing rebuke). Many moderate Germans believed their Jewish friends would face little persecution under Hitler's regime. Funny how that turned out.

LOL!!!! This is great! People are extreme assholes so I will be an extreme asshole! Essentially the political equivalent of "he started it!!!" which to be fair is a common argument on both sides.

Sometimes, extremism rightfully begets an extreme response. You guys sure do love this ploy of drawing equivalencies between fascists and their critics.

nudemacusers

« Reply #9089 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:52 PM »
:delicious

:donot
Would have said amirox but well, you know.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

etiolate

« Reply #9090 on: October 23, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
Resetera folks are basically the village family from Archangel

Pills Here

« Reply #9091 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »
I'll move to Resetera when Loudninja is confirmed to be running the NPD and Media Create threads.

Didn't realise those numbers were available to copy/paste from PSBlog.

Jansen

« Reply #9092 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »

Sorry but that can't happen under the Nintendo Regime since loudninja is a Sony superfan

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #9093 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:30 PM »

He's always switching accounts to stay one step ahead of The Bore's ruthless mods and admins.

I was just offering duckroll some butt sex. The fuck is wrong with you people.

Himu

« Reply #9094 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:32 PM »
I'm taking a good long look at the politics of the folks who are saltiest over their gaf bans  :hitler

Also, duckroll has never posted here.

Wrong. Duckroll has or had an account and quit when he became a mod.
IYKYK

Mercy

« Reply #9095 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »
Yes echo chambers are wrong you dumb biatch
Having my insular worldview challenged by others is a microaggression.  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #9096 on: October 23, 2017, 01:24:55 PM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/MattEnth/status/922365351626661888

CEO of Opencritic :neogaf
The Three Stooges : forum admin adventures
Grand Admiral Karl Donitz will continue the Reich as normal.  :doge

Don't worry citizens, the Russians bombs won't hit us where we are setting up shop.
🤴

stufte

« Reply #9097 on: October 23, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »

Moderation in this age of Trump, whose presidency has given rise to open and unapologetic affinity for fascism, is no different than collaboration. You cannot be a moderate in an environment where people go on social media, with their identities exposed, and gladly express vile and hateful views that were once relegated to the fringes of public opinion (yes, they've always existed in the shadows, but their open expression would always be met with swift and penalizing rebuke). Many moderate Germans believed their Jewish friends would face little persecution under Hitler's regime. Funny how that turned out.

LOL!!!! This is great! People are extreme assholes so I will be an extreme asshole! Essentially the political equivalent of "he started it!!!" which to be fair is a common argument on both sides.

Sometimes, extremism rightfully begets an extreme response. You guys sure do love this ploy of drawing equivalencies between fascists and their critics.

What do you mean "You guys"?

Chim Richalds

• Professional Doctor
« Reply #9098 on: October 23, 2017, 01:25:27 PM »

Look, just get fucked.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9099 on: October 23, 2017, 01:25:35 PM »
Who are you, Enzom?  Fuck off with the "where's the receipts" bullshit.

The receipts for GAF were always in our hearts and memories. :ussrcry
ὕβρις

border

« Reply #9100 on: October 23, 2017, 01:25:38 PM »
It's not like twitter exists or anything.
Twitter is a cacophony of garbage.  Yes, if I want to read someone react to Walking Dead in 140 characters or less it's awesome.....but if you want to read considered, sincere, or thoughtful opinions then you might as well give up.

NeoGAF was kinda like the IMDB boards, where there was definitely a ton of garbage but you could find somebody to talk about whatever you want to talk about.  I'm sure there are plenty of Walking Dead fan sites I could go to, but the point of NeoGAF is that all those discussions were collectively there in one place, with one login, with one subscription/notification system.  One minute you could be reading about the new Boards of Canada album and the next you'd be talking about why last night's episode of The Simpsons was terrible.

K

« Reply #9101 on: October 23, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
Seen quite a few ex mods crawl back already. I won't blame them though. Except d'ohpiate

kingv

« Reply #9102 on: October 23, 2017, 01:26:07 PM »
Emily Rogers is going to be admin, along with SweetNicole/Patticakes who is a trans bi woman with a lesbian partner.

That Polygon article did work

Why are there so many trans video game “personalities”?

What is the intersectionality between being picky about pronouns and seeking out the sickest switch rumors or to make indie games?

Always wanted to ask on GAF but knew I’d catch a ban.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #9103 on: October 23, 2017, 01:26:46 PM »
Angelus posts sarcastic racist posts all the time; thought you guys were picking up on that and not accusing him of being racist against white people.

My bad?

I'm not sensitive towards minorities who post racist shit about white people so I didn't really think from that angle.

Look man. When it comes down to it, others will get the banana while he will get the pity points if you engage posters like him on Gaf with the same arguments. He knew it while doing it anyway and that certainly says a lot about his moral character.

Deavl

« Reply #9104 on: October 23, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
Angelus posts sarcastic racist posts all the time; thought you guys were picking up on that and not accusing him of being racist against white people.

My bad?

I'm not sensitive towards minorities who post racist shit about white people so I didn't really think from that angle.

"Sensitive"
It was hard not to notice the chip some had on their shoulder, and Bish didn't make it any better.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9105 on: October 23, 2017, 01:27:16 PM »

You're right. Equating fascists with such a truly heinous bunch of critics is terrible.  :like
ὕβρις

etiolate

« Reply #9106 on: October 23, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

My bad?

:what

Am I reading this right? You just ignore racist minorities?

border

« Reply #9107 on: October 23, 2017, 01:28:51 PM »

What is the intersectionality between being picky about pronouns and seeking out the sickest switch rumors or to make indie games?

I don't think there are that many trans personalities in gaming.  You just notice the ones that are there because they kinda stick out.

Dougstyles

« Reply #9108 on: October 23, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »

Your definition of extremism is fucked beyond comprehension.
~Afu

Himu

« Reply #9109 on: October 23, 2017, 01:30:27 PM »
IYKYK

joe_zazen

« Reply #9110 on: October 23, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:30:27 AM by joe_zazen »

Deavl

« Reply #9111 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:05 PM »
Emily Rogers is going to be admin, along with SweetNicole/Patticakes who is a trans bi woman with a lesbian partner.

That Polygon article did work

Always wanted to ask on GAF but knew I’d catch a ban.

Might as well have asked why GAF pretended like no women ever designed games before they bravely strut on to the scene.

NickFire

« Reply #9112 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »
I hope the proud #gamer isn't too proud about it in resetera.

In the last years since GG, there was a narrative in Neogaf, that being a #gamer is the equivalent of the white male rapist racist. There was always several posters in neogaf threads that decried gamers and were ashamed to be gamers when someone was harassed or an individual who played games did something bad.

I think it was that GG - and other gaming-oriented controversies since then - showed that this hobby we might have once thought would unite and remove us from the ugliness of life was just as tainted as what we were trying to escape. It proved that many of the people behind the games we enjoy harbor some very dark beliefs that made it very difficult to separate from our enjoyment of this pastime. It's too bad that the vast majority of the people expressing those ugly views are white males. Maybe that's a problem that should be addressed?

Trump becomes president = better double down with the evil white boogeyman rhetoric.  Rabid communist website eats its own = better double down with the evil white boogeyman rhetoric.  Whoever you are, please stop smelling your farts all day, and step back into reality.  If you do, you may just find a game you enjoy playing more than passing out victim cards.

Trump didn't win the white male and female vote? And GAF is rabidly communist?  ::)

Which one is it - former mod / admin, or one of those privileged few whose voices really needed to be heard?  Whichever it is, congratulations to you for burning your echo chamber to the ground after working so hard to stamp out the wrong think.     

Swollen Bowels

« Reply #9113 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:09 PM »
I hope the proud #gamer isn't too proud about it in resetera.

In the last years since GG, there was a narrative in Neogaf, that being a #gamer is the equivalent of the white male rapist racist. There was always several posters in neogaf threads that decried gamers and were ashamed to be gamers when someone was harassed or an individual who played games did something bad.

I think it was that GG - and other gaming-oriented controversies since then - showed that this hobby we might have once thought would unite and remove us from the ugliness of life was just as tainted as what we were trying to escape. It proved that many of the people behind the games we enjoy harbor some very dark beliefs that made it very difficult to separate from our enjoyment of this pastime. It's too bad that the vast majority of the people expressing those ugly views are white males. Maybe that's a problem that should be addressed?

HAH! This right here is why GAF was shit. You're joking though, right?

No, I'm very serious and speak from experience, remembering conversations I had with many minority members of the gaming community who were absolutely stunned that the ranks of their hobby included the dregs of society. We always knew that there were racists among us, as any time playing [insert your favorite multiplayer title of the last decade] could demonstrate. But, there was a feeling that the creators were above that, men who were educated enough to reject such prejudices.

First off: multiplayer "banter" has always been shit. this should come as no surprise. Mute that shit like every other normal person.

Second: Games are made by a swath of talented people who have all sorts of beliefs and ideologies. The fact that you thought that creators were some sort of enlightened class and not just regular men and women makes you and others complete morons. You have a very shallow view of the real world.

Growing up in a very politically aware household that bordered on militant, I've always been aware of what lies beneath the surface. I was led by no such delusion that some of my other more credulous friends suffered under. GAF became a battleground against the rising fascism among the youth. I have absolutely no problem with how they dealt with opinions that fell out of favor with their "echo chamber."

stufte

« Reply #9114 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
I guess this is a good time to point out that MOST people in the industry hated GAF. Not because it was a "progressive" board, but because they generally HATE games, and hate the people who make them.

Polyh3dron

« Reply #9115 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:25 PM »
Slaent seems to have absorbed some of the worst from GAF
but Dennis and JayDubya are here though

tummyfat

« Reply #9116 on: October 23, 2017, 01:32:38 PM »

I don't think there are that many trans personalities in gaming.  You just notice the ones that are there because they kinda stick out.

There are definitely overepresented compared with less than 1% or whatever of the general population that is trans.

The reasons are probably pretty obvious - gaming is a solitary activity that lets you escape into a world where you can be whoever you want to be.

benjipwns

« Reply #9117 on: October 23, 2017, 01:33:21 PM »

Your definition of extremism is fucked beyond comprehension.
Look if we don't engage in politically motivated vigilante violence against those who espouse views legally that we don't like then the fascists win.

benjipwns

« Reply #9118 on: October 23, 2017, 01:34:36 PM »
I was led by no such delusion that some of my other more credulous friends suffered under. GAF became a battleground against the rising fascism among the youth.
Uh huh.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #9119 on: October 23, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
Growing up in a very politically aware household that bordered on militant, I've always been aware of what lies beneath the surface. I was led by no such delusion that some of my other more credulous friends suffered under. GAF became a battleground against the rising fascism among the youth. I have absolutely no problem with how they dealt with opinions that fell out of favor with their "echo chamber."

:salute :usacry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
We don't even have to search for material, it's coming directly at us  :goldberg
[close]
ὕβρις