Author Topic: Google Hardware Thread · Pixel Phones and Nest Homes  (Read 44197 times)

Oblivion

Re: Google Hardware Thread · Pixel Phones and Nest Homes
« Reply #360 on: May 26, 2020, 08:17:57 PM »
guys, quickly! is this a good deal?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-pixel-3a-64gb-unlocked-just-black/6347785.p?skuId=6347785

The price WITH activation of a new contract is pretty good for a Pixel 3a. So if you have a Verizon/ATT account or if you're willing to switch to Sprint as a new customer, then the discount seems pretty good.

But if you're on T-mobile or any MVNO, the price without the carrier discount is average. Is your current phone getting worn out and if so, what features/price are you looking for?

yeah my phone is pretty old. i've had it for 3 years, but it was it was old even then (it's a samsung on5). still, it did me good because i mostly just used it to listen to podcasts on the way to work and browse the internet on the toilet. of course, i'd have liked to do more, but the ancient tech prevented me from doing such. i don't really game on it, so that's not much of an issue, but i would like to use way more apps like snapchat and fb and such. when i started off, my budget was going to be $150, but the pixel 3a's lookin' mighty fine...

Oblivion

« Reply #361 on: May 26, 2020, 08:18:57 PM »
welp, went ahead and bought it. no going back now

i'm the proud owner of a google pixel 3a :rock

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #362 on: May 26, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
Yeah, I just checked and I've used a little less than 56gb out of 256 on my OnePlus 7 pro that I've had for about a year now. 21 gb in pics/vids, 22 in apps, 12 system, and random other shit making up the rest. I obviously don't game much on my phone, tho.

I think if you get a Pixel tho, you get a pretty sweet amount of google drive back up space for photos and shit.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #363 on: May 26, 2020, 08:35:36 PM »
Yeah, I just checked and I've used a little less than 56gb out of 256 on my OnePlus 7 pro that I've had for about a year now. 21 gb in pics/vids, 22 in apps, 12 system, and random other shit making up the rest. I obviously don't game much on my phone, tho.

I think if you get a Pixel tho, you get a pretty sweet amount of google drive back up space for photos and shit.

apparently the backup storage thing only works for standard pixels, not the 3a models  :'(

how many apps do you have, out of curiosity?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #364 on: May 26, 2020, 08:39:41 PM »
Like, 150ish? I really don't use all of them that much, one downside to having this much space is that you become lazy, just download shit cause it looks cool or whatever, never really fuck with it, and then forget about it.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #365 on: May 26, 2020, 08:42:44 PM »
whoa 150?  :o

yeah...that's probably gonna be plenty for my needs. i was planning on adding like...20 AT BEST  :lol

Tasty

« Reply #366 on: May 26, 2020, 09:01:56 PM »
I have like 30 apps and 25 of them are preinstalled Google shit :dead

Tasty

« Reply #367 on: May 26, 2020, 09:06:31 PM »
Also I dunno what deals will be left but it's looking like I'll be picking up a 3a tomorrow too :dead

I think that makes at least four of us here (bork, cindi, now Oblivion and me.)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #368 on: May 26, 2020, 09:07:08 PM »
Haha, I just don't give af, I'm lazy about that and also keeping a tidy email inbox. I'm coming up on almost 100k unread emails in my gmail account
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #369 on: May 26, 2020, 09:09:28 PM »
Depending on life shit and what Google and Oneplus do with their "budget" offerings, around this time next year I'll either get the Oneplus lite/z/whatever they're calling it or the Pixel 4aXL on sale like Oblivion did before the new ones come out. More than $500 is not "budget" and while I love my Oneplus 7 pro, living at the top of the ecosystem just isn't worth it honestly.
yar

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #370 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:39 PM »
Yeah the 3a specs are great for a modern phone and you're not going to notice any lag for at least 2-3 years (regardless of the application). The 64GB should be good for the life of the device unless you go crazy with game downloads and videos.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #371 on: May 26, 2020, 09:19:59 PM »
You should clean up space since it does affect the speed of the phone a bit.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #372 on: May 26, 2020, 11:15:53 PM »
for those of you that use a lot of apps, is 64 GB enough?

I've got 64 on my Pixel 2 and I'm constantly at 99% used because of 30+gb of photos. Barely anything for apps but like Tasty I've really only got about 30 apps and most of them are the pre-installed google things.

How is the 3a? I can feel certain things on my Pixel 2 starting to decline (like a lose USB C port) and have no intention of getting a flagship model.
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #373 on: May 27, 2020, 12:01:18 AM »
Also I dunno what deals will be left but it's looking like I'll be picking up a 3a tomorrow too :dead

I think that makes at least four of us here (bork, cindi, now Oblivion and me.)

I have a 4XL, but if you mean Pixel in general, yessir. 

Basic-ass, bloat-free, no-bullshit Android OS
 :aah
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #374 on: May 27, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
Thanks to Google One, buying Pixel Buds + two Pixel 3a's = $73.70 in Google Store credit :leon

Tasty

« Reply #375 on: May 27, 2020, 11:56:21 AM »
welp, went ahead and bought it. no going back now

i'm the proud owner of a google pixel 3a :rock

Me and baby sis too :rejoice

Oblivion

« Reply #376 on: May 27, 2020, 12:35:49 PM »
what phone did you have before, tasty?

for those of you that use a lot of apps, is 64 GB enough?

How is the 3a? I can feel certain things on my Pixel 2 starting to decline (like a lose USB C port) and have no intention of getting a flagship model.

i don't know if this is directed at me, but mine won't come in until the 2nd or 3rd (on account of buying it through the google store and not wanting to pay shipping  8) )

all the reviews i've read/watched say it's pretty excellent for a mid range phone (at least, the camera anyway). and since i'm coming off of 2015 smartphone tech, i'd be shocked if my upgrade wasn't light years ahead of what i'm used to. but i'm probably not the best person to ask   :P

that being said, i know it's a minor thing, but one issue i do have with the phone is that it has a yellow volume button. i ordered the white version and it seems to clash pretty badly, imo. small thing, i know, but it still bugs me.  :yuck

Tasty

« Reply #377 on: May 27, 2020, 01:05:37 PM »
I've been slumming it with a Pixel 1 for almost a year since my Pixel 3 died last June (my fault) and I've been unable to afford the repairs.

Then the 3a deal hit and it's less money to buy it than repair my 3, so I just bought it. I'll repair my Pixel 3 later on, as it's always good to have another good cameraphone around for short film stuff.

Tasty

« Reply #378 on: May 27, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
that being said, i know it's a minor thing, but one issue i do have with the phone is that it has a yellow volume button. i ordered the white version and it seems to clash pretty badly, imo. small thing, i know, but it still bugs me.  :yuck

Ugh I wish it was yellow. It's actually some kind of tacky yellowish neon green. Pure sunny yellow would have looked so much better. :-\

Ah well.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #379 on: May 27, 2020, 01:58:51 PM »
Willingly purchasing white electronics

:jeanluc
yar

Tasty

« Reply #380 on: May 27, 2020, 02:00:26 PM »

We've been over this. I'm ride or die white electronics.

Gray/black are passe. I need some optimism in my life.

Tasty

« Reply #381 on: May 27, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »
Wait Oblivion yours is getting to you by the 3rd? Damn even if I rush shipped mine the earliest was the 9th. :'(

Ah well I've waited a year, can wait some more lol. Unless this is the two week period my phone chooses to die... But even then I can make phone calls on my laptop using the same number thanks to Google Voice, so there's really not too big a loss of productivity...

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #382 on: May 27, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »
Listen, I have no problem with your gay lifestyle but white electronics are a bridge too far

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I specifically bought the OnePlus 7 pro because it came in electric blue, which is my favorite color (even my car is dark electric blue)

[close]
yar

Tasty

« Reply #383 on: May 27, 2020, 02:17:44 PM »
That does look really nice. :)

I dunno most of the Nexus line was only available in a single color (black/dark gray) so I think when they changed to Pixel and committed to at least doing black and white every year it got me really jazzed up, so I associate white more with premium and dark gray more with utilitarianism. (The marketing for the OG Pixel put the white model at the forefront.) But that's just me. :)

I'd love a mint green Pixel one of these days tbh.

Oblivion

« Reply #384 on: May 27, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »

i've had nothing but black phones for like a decade, and while black is great, i just wanted to switch it up a bit. also, for whatever reason, google only gives 3 options for a 3a: black, white, and purple-ish (that's the actual color name  :doge ). plus google always seemed more of a white thing, than black to me.

Wait Oblivion yours is getting to you by the 3rd? Damn even if I rush shipped mine the earliest was the 9th. :'(

Ah well I've waited a year, can wait some more lol. Unless this is the two week period my phone chooses to die... But even then I can make phone calls on my laptop using the same number thanks to Google Voice, so there's really not too big a loss of productivity...

you paid for rush shipping and it's coming on the 9th? that's really weird. not sure what happened there. if that's rush shipping, how long would free shipping take? august?  :doge

Tasty

« Reply #385 on: May 27, 2020, 02:32:55 PM »
Rush shipping was an option for $26 extra so I said no thanks, but it didn't really change much. June 9th to 11th vs. free shipping's June 11th to the 13th.

So it's possible you get yours 11 whole days earlier than me. :P Post pics!

Oblivion

« Reply #386 on: May 27, 2020, 04:43:05 PM »
oh most definitely. now that i'd actually be able to take decent pics to begin with :P

i am curious, though. seeing all these thousand dollar phones, what's the point of them? i could see people needing all that extra power for stuff like gaming, but plenty of my friends have those phones that don't care about games.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #387 on: May 27, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »
oh most definitely. now that i'd actually be able to take decent pics to begin with :P

i am curious, though. seeing all these thousand dollar phones, what's the point of them? i could see people needing all that extra power for stuff like gaming, but plenty of my friends have those phones that don't care about games.

Bragging rights. The performance difference from the RAM/processor wouldn't be noticeable even in most popular phone games. Think about it, would a developer want to make a game that only performs well on $1000+ phones only a few people would buy?

Those phones do often have bigger screens with higher resolution/refresh rate or they have multicamera modules that might take better pictures but you're getting into diminishing returns past a certain price point. Most midrange phones perform better than a flagship from a couple years prior, phone tech is very iterative at this point.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #388 on: May 27, 2020, 05:32:10 PM »
My main issue with white is that it gets dirty so f'n easy, especially if it's something you handle all the f'n time. And I always, always put my phones in cases, and most of them are black, so, meh.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #389 on: May 27, 2020, 05:43:11 PM »
Higher end phones are generally made from more durable materials (not plastic) and have additional features like wireless charging and waterproofing, but we're seeing those trickle down to lower end phones now. There's absolutely a larger/unreasonable margin on these higher end phones though, probably to subsidize the inexpensive ones/make up R&D costs.

Perception-of-performance-wise, the vast majority of users wouldn't notice a difference going from say, Pixel 3 to 3a. However over the long term (year+), I do think people get a general "feeling" that things are snappier and accomplish slightly less time using the premium model. Everyone has a different threshold for minimum performance though.

Cheaper phones also have worse performance degradation over the long-term than premium phones. The fact I could comfortably use a Pixel 1 after four years on the market is a small miracle. If there were a hypothetical Pixel 1a, I highly doubt it could have lasted as long.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty

Tasty

« Reply #392 on: May 28, 2020, 09:42:17 PM »
My white 3a getting delivered May 29-Jun 2 :lawd

My sis's black 3a not shipped and won't be delivered until Jun 28-29 :thinking

Oblivion

« Reply #393 on: May 28, 2020, 10:25:44 PM »
i've been skeptical of talk/typing software forever, but i'm legit impressed at how good google's is.

Oblivion

« Reply #394 on: May 28, 2020, 10:48:33 PM »
also, before i started looking for a new smartphone, i had no idea what the hell a bezel was, but now that every single reviewer on the planet mentioned it, i can't stop thinking about it :lol that's one of the unfortunate design flaws of the 3a. some of the lower end samsung phones look nicer than it, even. but on the plus side, they're much smaller than the ones i have on my current phone.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2020, 12:11:12 AM »
I honestly don't really give TOO much of a shit about bezels (outside of the iphone se, which is just lol) but I have a phone with a motorized pop up selfie cam where the screen is like 96% or something stupid of the front of the phone, so if I do what I expect to do on my next phone and get either a Google or Oneplus budget entry, it will be weird going back to something with actual bezels for a bit.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #396 on: May 29, 2020, 09:58:42 AM »
4a looked great with the hole punch camera, better than the 4 :shaq2

Fucking marketing-related delays :shaq2

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #397 on: May 29, 2020, 01:02:10 PM »
I don't mind the lens square on my 4XL. I *do* miss the fingerprint scanner.
rub

Oblivion

« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2020, 11:08:55 PM »
oh another question. what's the downsides of using a phone that google will not provide any updates to?  is it like certain apps will stop working all of a sudden?

Tasty

« Reply #399 on: May 29, 2020, 11:34:16 PM »
oh another question. what's the downsides of using a phone that google will not provide any updates to?  is it like certain apps will stop working all of a sudden?

Hmm no. In general you'll see something like... the next two years you won't get OS updates which is, fine. You don't need those features, anyways, y'know? The security updates are a bit more concerning to go without, but ehhhhh you're not the Prez, you'll probably be fine.

After two years, apps will start to not update on the Play Store. Google raises minimum SDK versions for apps uploaded every so often and generally, apps want to target new OS versions to get new/easier/QoL features. So after a year or two, your app updates will dry up. However, due to APIs being generally resilient, you'll still be able to use your existing apps for a while.

Let's say another year. We're three years out, I guess. After this point, you'll start getting annoying banners in apps if you haven't already. "Upgrade soon or lose access!" Etc. Then the dates listed will come to apps and voila, you won't be able to use such cloud-dependent apps anymore.

Assuming you haven't been hacked or phished or cracked either remotely or locally due to about a dozen zero-days getting released for your phone model over the last year, your existing apps still become an additional liability and attack surface. Like a sun collapsing in on itself to a dwarf star or black hole, such is the case of unsupported phones after ~3 years of additional use.

In my experience, anyways.

Oblivion

« Reply #400 on: May 29, 2020, 11:45:41 PM »
Ah okay, good to know. thanks.

Tasty

« Reply #401 on: May 30, 2020, 02:17:55 PM »
My 3a came today and it's great :lawd

Got it fully setup, I'm so fucking glad Google Authenticator added QR-based import/export like two weeks ago lmao. Now switching/upgrading phones is as painless as it was before I hopped on the MFA bandwagon.

RIP my Pixel OG, with your cracked screen, dents, scrubbed paint, and poor battery... you served well until the end, with a serviceable screen and performance and still above-average picture-taking capabilities.

:salute

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #402 on: May 30, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »
...you don't put your phones in cases, do you, you savage?

smh
yar

Tasty

« Reply #403 on: May 30, 2020, 08:58:13 PM »
I do. I've stuck with Moment photo cases since my Pixel 2 since around the Nexus 5X I stopped renting DSLRs for my short films and just used my phone instead.

Their anamorphic lens released in 2018 was the culmination of everything I wanted from them :delicious

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #404 on: May 30, 2020, 09:35:10 PM »

Some of us treat our shit with kid gloves. :trumps I'm sorry the rest of you have butter fingers to where you drop your phones from two stories every five minutes. :doge

Oblivion

« Reply #405 on: May 30, 2020, 10:46:03 PM »

smh

speaking of which, can i get some suggestions for good cases?  i didn't really care about that sort of thing before, but now that i have a phone that's more than fifty bux, i'd like to treat it with some respect.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #406 on: May 30, 2020, 10:50:46 PM »

smh

speaking of which, can i get some suggestions for good cases?  i didn't really care about that sort of thing before, but now that i have a phone that's more than fifty bux, i'd like to treat it with some respect.

I like Spigen and Encased.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pixel+3a+case+Spigen&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pixel+3a+case+encased&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #407 on: May 31, 2020, 12:53:33 AM »
Can vouch for Spiegen, good cases

Some of us treat our shit with kid gloves. :trumps I'm sorry the rest of you have butter fingers to where you drop your phones from two stories every five minutes. :doge

Not all of us are getting that $600 per spawn to be able to be risky with our personal electronics, BREEDER
yar

Tasty

« Reply #408 on: May 31, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »
Not all of us are getting that $600 per spawn to be able to be risky with our personal electronics, BREEDER

Tasty

« Reply #409 on: May 31, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »

What I'm rocking: shopmoment.com/shop/photo-case-pixel/pixel-3a-black

But ymmv on how much photography or amateur filmmaking you intend to do. :P

Oblivion

« Reply #410 on: June 02, 2020, 03:23:00 PM »
The phone just came in! :rock :rock :rock

i also ordered the case along with it :rock

Oblivion

« Reply #411 on: June 02, 2020, 07:59:15 PM »
holy shit, this thing is AMAZING

i haven't been this excited about a new phone is a long time. it is without a doubt, the most massive upgrade i've ever had. granted, sure my last phone was a certifiable antique, but still!

no joke, i've spent more time tinkering around with the settings on here in the last HOUR than i have in the past 3 YEARS. i didn't even bother to look into the wallpapers on my last phone. and it looks like google has some pretty fucking sweet ones.

the phone's running buttery smooth even with like 10 apps running in the background. it's like greased lightning compared to what i'm used to. kind of funny though cause i was originally worried if i'd have enough space, but i've already downloaded most of the apps i initially wanted and now i'm like 'shit...now what?" :lol

the build quality is actually quite nice too. i know it's polyeurathane (sp?), but it FEELS like a high end phone!

but yeah, i'm absolutely LOVING this device. finally, a phone worthy of my station  8)

thisismyusername

« Reply #412 on: June 02, 2020, 08:21:11 PM »

Get your history right, dude. I'm a homo. :doge

The fucking backup process on these phones is dumb, for real.

*Buy unlocked phone that should work with carrier after research, go in after back-up/restore through wifi*
"Oh, that's not supported on us (yet?), but we have a version of it (downclocked, I think. I need to look into the stats) that you can buy."
:| Ok, fine. I'll take the L on the buying the unlocked version and get this one. Fine. Give me it.
(Second time back-up restoring, after turning it back to factory/stock because of the fucking vendor needing to set up quickly to move SIM card)

I goddamn hate phones and phone tech. Why the fuck can't this be like a new PC where you just go "oh, migrate all my shit" and be done with it. >:|

Oblivion

« Reply #413 on: June 02, 2020, 09:31:26 PM »
i thought to myself "damn, this phone may even be faster than my laptop", then i thought about it, and it might not be an exaggeration, since they both have 4 gigs of RAM :lol

Oblivion

« Reply #414 on: June 02, 2020, 09:33:12 PM »

wait you are? i thought you had a kid like a year or two ago?

if not...then who the hell am i thinking of?  :doge

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #415 on: June 02, 2020, 09:36:29 PM »

:lol

he just see the "kid gloves" analogy and think you literally used your kids gloves? wth. i need answers.
◕‿◕

Tasty

« Reply #416 on: June 02, 2020, 10:30:46 PM »
https://www.xda-developers.com/google-android-tv-dongle-remote-ui/

Been rumblings of this for a while, basically a Chromecast Ultra successor that runs full Android TV and includes a remote instead of relying on the simpler Chromecast UI. Would bet it'll be marketed with Stadia too. Likely MSRP is $69.

Branding wise there's been talk that it'll be a Nest product, maybe "Nest Cast" or "Nest TV." And also also talk of rebranding Android TV as a whole (like how Android Wear became Wear OS), and just be "Google TV." Again. But hey it's actually moderately successful this time.

thisismyusername

« Reply #417 on: June 02, 2020, 10:38:52 PM »

wait you are? i thought you had a kid like a year or two ago?

:noooo

if not...then who the hell am i thinking of?  :doge

Probably Mac? Bork? Bork is having a kid soon, Mac has one on the way (or had it, though he's no where near home currently, and uses iPhones not Android) or maybe Am_I_Anonymous, who has vanished but had a kid on the way (... two years ago? I think?)

Oblivion

« Reply #418 on: June 02, 2020, 11:45:12 PM »
yup you're right, it was mac i was thinking of.

just as well

:piss breeders :piss2

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平