Author Topic: Other Forums |OT| ♀ C O R E V A L U E S ♀ Sponsored By THQNordic  (Read 5828742 times)

agrajag

Re: Other Forums |OT| The Desperation For Outrage
« Reply #59340 on: February 05, 2019, 03:07:19 PM »
How comfortable are you guys with the idea of armed people walking around near you having revenge fantasy's hoping you'll start shit with them?

Not comfortable at all, but I suspect that happens way more often than people would like to think it does.
Whats the solution? Stop and Search laws in case anyone walking around at night has a weapon?

every person with a concealed carry and ready to fly off the handle at the slightest provocation, so half of America

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #59341 on: February 05, 2019, 03:07:22 PM »
If you go from store to store telling yourself you're going to steal the first bag of pistachios you see but miraculously none seem to materialize it doesn't mean you officially started breaking the law and ought to be condemned for it
Uncle

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #59342 on: February 05, 2019, 03:08:13 PM »
If you go from store to store telling yourself you're going to steal the first bag of pistachios you see but miraculously none seem to materialize it doesn't mean you officially started breaking the law and ought to be condemned for it

BUT MUH ACTION.  :doge

marrec

« Reply #59343 on: February 05, 2019, 03:08:18 PM »
How comfortable are you guys with the idea of armed people walking around near you having revenge fantasy's hoping you'll start shit with them?

Not comfortable at all, but I suspect that happens way more often than people would like to think it does.
Whats the solution? Stop and Search laws in case anyone walking around at night has a weapon?

Who's fucking asking for a solution?! Things can be reprehensible without needing a direct "solution".

As for Neeson's specific case, like we can start to hypothesize how we'd stop random revenge thirsty white dudes from searching for black people to kill, but that involves acknowledging toxic masculinity and racism not "thought crimes" like y'all are implying lmao

marrec

« Reply #59344 on: February 05, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »
lmao marrec going full Era. The reason Neeson brought the anecdote in the first place is because he thought it was awful and it weighed on his conscience 40 years later. No one, including himself, if saying he should get a pat on the back, nor should you be reeeeeing about something he didn't do 40 years ago.

Ya, it's fucked up though that he did go roaming the streets looking to kill a black guy.

Like, how is this even a fucking question?

I'm not even saying anything should fucking happen to him, I'm just acknowledging that it's fucked up.

who ever said it wasn't fucked up though?

Quote from: Slaven
Liam acted on those racist feelings

So Neeson DID kill a guy. Lock him up.

Wandering around the streets with a weapon specifically in service of killing a black person is action

eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh c'mon now.
Telling someone to go kys in an online game is also "an action". An action that is objectively more damaging to someone.

The implication is that taking the action to wander around looking for a random black dude to kill is no big because he didn't actually find a random black dude to kill

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #59345 on: February 05, 2019, 03:10:50 PM »
quote one person that said anything like that
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #59346 on: February 05, 2019, 03:11:19 PM »
it's crazy that you disingenuously argue on both resetera and the bore, it's like you only exist to be shrieking cassandra
每天生气

shosta

« Reply #59347 on: February 05, 2019, 03:12:01 PM »
i'm gay
每天生气

marrec

« Reply #59348 on: February 05, 2019, 03:12:25 PM »
God damnit don't bring that here shosta you'll chase me off to Gaia Online

agrajag

« Reply #59349 on: February 05, 2019, 03:13:13 PM »
it's crazy that you disingenuously argue on both resetera and the bore, it's like you only exist to be shrieking cassandra

I am getting tired of marrec's both-sideism

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #59350 on: February 05, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »
The implication is that taking the action to wander around looking for a random black dude to kill is no big because he didn't actually find a random black dude to kill
Buying a gun for the sake of home defense is no big if you never actually encounter an intruder
Uncle

agrajag

« Reply #59351 on: February 05, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
lmao marrec going full Era. The reason Neeson brought the anecdote in the first place is because he thought it was awful and it weighed on his conscience 40 years later. No one, including himself, if saying he should get a pat on the back, nor should you be reeeeeing about something he didn't do 40 years ago.

Ya, it's fucked up though that he did go roaming the streets looking to kill a black guy.

Like, how is this even a fucking question?

I'm not even saying anything should fucking happen to him, I'm just acknowledging that it's fucked up.

who ever said it wasn't fucked up though?

Quote from: Slaven
Liam acted on those racist feelings

So Neeson DID kill a guy. Lock him up.

Wandering around the streets with a weapon specifically in service of killing a black person is action

eeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh c'mon now.
Telling someone to go kys in an online game is also "an action". An action that is objectively more damaging to someone.

his quote was something to the effect of "looking for a black guy that's gonna start shit with me," so there was a variable of self defense in there as well. Since he wasn't attacked by a black man, he didn't go after any.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #59352 on: February 05, 2019, 03:16:41 PM »
:thinking Dark Man...  :thinking

sometimes we become what we hate most  :-[

I made that joke like 10 pages ago motherfucker.

And I made a similar joke only 4 post above his and didn't even get a single like. This place is trash.  :maf

*edit* thanks for the pity-like, Cauliflower.  :-*
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:21:05 PM by stufte »

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59353 on: February 05, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »

Who's fucking asking for a solution?! Things can be reprehensible without needing a direct "solution".

As for Neeson's specific case, like we can start to hypothesize how we'd stop random revenge thirsty white dudes from searching for black people to kill, but that involves acknowledging toxic masculinity and racism not "thought crimes" like y'all are implying lmao

The point of his anecdote isn't racism, or toxic masculinity.
Its about most humans having the capacity for great evil. Black people do heinous shit. Women do heinous shit.
e: and I'll tell you for free, way more people think about doing heinous shit than ever actually follow through and do that heinous shit.

The moral of this story isn't 'don't have bad thoughts'.
Its 'never reveal you have had bad thoughts publically, because you'll get hounded as though you had actually done the thing you thought about'.
Which itself is fucking terrifyingly toxic.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #59354 on: February 05, 2019, 03:17:49 PM »
I need to know how hard he was looking for a black guy to kill before I know how outraged to be. Was he really going to kill somebody or was it like a "I was totally planning on going to the gym, but then something came up."
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59355 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:04 PM »
I can't help but feel if you really do want to go and commit a racially motivated murder, you're going to be able to do so, even in backwards ass 1970s Ireland

Propagandhim

« Reply #59356 on: February 05, 2019, 03:21:50 PM »
I go into black neighborhoods and cross the street onto the other sidewalk when I see someone approaching.  Neeson's instigation of violence sickens me.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #59357 on: February 05, 2019, 03:22:10 PM »
e: and I'll tell you for free, way more people think about doing heinous shit than ever actually follow through and do that heinous shit.

I've thought about posting on thebore.com a few times but I always catch myself before making that mistake
Uncle

stufte

« Reply #59358 on: February 05, 2019, 03:24:21 PM »

I've thought about posting on thebore.com a few times but I always catch myself before making that mistake

Quoting before you delete the evidence, you sick fuck.

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #59359 on: February 05, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »
How many black people lived in Ireland during the 70s, other than the guy from Thin Lizzy?
Oi Oi

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59360 on: February 05, 2019, 03:30:04 PM »
I like to re-enact the opening scene of Die Hard With A Vengeance, but haven't managed to get anyone to fall for my trap yet

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #59361 on: February 05, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
Quote from: Murder Neeson's IMDB
Is a longtime supporter of the legalization of abortion in Ireland.

:wag

Quote from: Liam Coshon
Laid-back? My wife said that? Well, I guess I am. It takes a lot to get me riled.

Sure thing buddy

Quote from: Vigilante
Some mornings you wake up and think, "Gee, I look handsome today." Other days I think, "What am I doing in the movies? I wanna go back to Ireland and drive a forklift".

Is "drive a forklift" and irish idiom for stalking and killing?

Quote from: Liam Neeson
In Los Angeles, it's like they jog for two hours a day and then they think they're morally right. That's when you want to choke people, you know?

oh shit

Boredfrom

« Reply #59362 on: February 05, 2019, 03:30:27 PM »

It's almost like there's a middle ground between merely thinking about revenge and fully going through with revenge.. and Nesson hit that middle ground, which did include some.... *shock and awe* concerning ACTIONS.

That ended about nothing happening (as far we know) and most of the world not knowing about it.

stufte

« Reply #59363 on: February 05, 2019, 03:32:37 PM »
I like to re-enact the opening scene of Die Hard With A Vengeance, but haven't managed to get anyone to fall for my trap yet

You don't even need the sandwich board these days, your racism is implied.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #59364 on: February 05, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
Quote from: Murder Neeson's IMDB
Is a longtime supporter of the legalization of abortion in Ireland.

:wag

TFW you become an abortion doctor and start a clinic so you have the means to kill babies for money but then no one shows up  :goty
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #59365 on: February 05, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »
He's a liar too!

Quote from: Lying Neeson
I grew up in Northern Ireland, of course. Lived all through the Troubles; saw violence, the results of violence, at first hand. It's always terrified me and fascinated me. So it was a gut reaction, something about how that rage can eat you alive. I can understand that. I haven't known it myself, but I knew guys who did. Some of them aren't on this planet any more because of it.

Is this his confession?!?!

I'm keeping myself to myself. And I like it that way. I'm not hunting. I'm the opposite of a - what would a male cougar be? Is there such a thing? Whatever it is, I'm not that.

:dead
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 03:40:28 PM by Cauliflower Of Love »

BisMarckie

« Reply #59366 on: February 05, 2019, 03:36:35 PM »
Liam Neeson and marrec should fuck already.

:snore

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59367 on: February 05, 2019, 03:39:03 PM »
Liam Neeson and marrec should fuck already.

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #59368 on: February 05, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty telling. Just imagine for one second if a PoC actor admitted the same thing, targeting random white people in the street for murdering them, because they were white. Imagine someone like Jaime Foxx or Terry Crews admitting something like this... It would end their career in 5 seconds top and it would be everywhere in the news.

I'm seeing this a lot on Era and I don't think it's true.  But it's just a gut feeling so whatever.
sigh

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59369 on: February 05, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »
Liam Neeson TAK3N up all the conversation meant I nearly missed this gem from the other thread that keeps on giving:

Also, as mods constantly state: "If you have an issue with moderation, feel free to PM a mod." If you are unsure if your argument will get you banned or not, have a mod review it.

Get your posts pre-approved for adherence to doctrine on your discussion forum brehs

marrec

« Reply #59370 on: February 05, 2019, 03:44:50 PM »

Its about most humans having the capacity for great evil. Black people do heinous shit. Women do heinous shit.

Its 'never reveal you have had bad thoughts publically, because you'll get hounded as though you had actually done the thing you thought about'.

The moral of Neeson's story is "don't drop the fact that you roamed the streets in a murderous rage for a week during a press junket, maybe save that story for a memoir". Like, I really don't think Neeson's career is going to take a hit because there are people outraged on Twitter. He's not beholden to the preception of a small group of outraged black folk. He'll be fine.

As for what we can take from it, like the ravenous dogs we are? It's a deeply personal story about revenge and yes racism, the anecdote itself isn't about toxic masculinity or racism, obviously, but aspects of his actions were driven by both (as well as other personal things obviously). Like, this little anecdote can be more than one thing without devolving into some extreme counterreaction to SJWs calling for Liam's head. Whatever happened it was likely multiple decades ago and anyone trying to assume Neeson's mental state or views on black people based on something he did 30-40 years ago is tilting at windmills.

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #59371 on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »
Michael Collins’ dick in my butt
Oi Oi

Boredfrom

« Reply #59372 on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »

It's almost like there's a middle ground between merely thinking about revenge and fully going through with revenge.. and Nesson hit that middle ground, which did include some.... *shock and awe* concerning ACTIONS.

That ended about nothing happening (as far we know) and most of the world not knowing about it.

Let’s repeat that mantra another 100 times because derp.

I mean, is not true?

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #59373 on: February 05, 2019, 03:47:40 PM »
Liam Neeson TAK3N up all the conversation meant I nearly missed this gem from the other thread that keeps on giving:

Also, as mods constantly state: "If you have an issue with moderation, feel free to PM a mod." If you are unsure if your argument will get you banned or not, have a mod review it.

Get your posts pre-approved for adherence to doctrine on your discussion forum brehs

And he doesn't think he's backseat modding?

lol

Boredfrom

« Reply #59374 on: February 05, 2019, 03:51:33 PM »

The moral of Neeson's story is "don't drop the fact that you roamed the streets in a murderous rage for a week during a press junket, maybe save that story for a memoir". Like, I really don't think Neeson's career is going to take a hit because there are people outraged on Twitter. He's not beholden to the preception of a small group of outraged black folk. He'll be fine.

As for what we can take from it, like the ravenous dogs we are? It's a deeply personal story about revenge and yes racism, the anecdote itself isn't about toxic masculinity or racism, obviously, but aspects of his actions were driven by both (as well as other personal things obviously). Like, this little anecdote can be more than one thing without devolving into some extreme counterreaction to SJWs calling for Liam's head. Whatever happened it was likely multiple decades ago and anyone trying to assume Neeson's mental state or views on black people based on something he did 30-40 years ago is tilting at windmills.

So: “let’s alll be shallow motherfuckers because people are emotionally hurt because a celebrity personal anecdote.”

Also, it was front page in CNN website.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59375 on: February 05, 2019, 03:53:42 PM »

I agree doing it on a press junket is about the worst situation possible to do so.
I disagree that viewing his actions as ultimately harmful only to himself and his own peace of mind and should be weighted as such is an extreme counter-reaction, but I guess the danger of holding extreme viewpoints is not recognising that they are.

:idont

Cui plagalis?

Snoopycat_

« Reply #59376 on: February 05, 2019, 03:54:04 PM »
[The moral of Neeson's story is "don't drop the fact that you roamed the streets in a murderous rage for a week during a press junket, maybe save that story for a memoir".]

I hope when he write his memoirs he finishes every chapter with - "Needless to say I had the last laugh."

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59377 on: February 05, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty telling. Just imagine for one second if a PoC actor admitted the same thing, targeting random white people in the street for murdering them, because they were white. Imagine someone like Jaime Foxx or Terry Crews admitting something like this... It would end their career in 5 seconds top and it would be everywhere in the news.

I'm seeing this a lot on Era and I don't think it's true.  But it's just a gut feeling so whatever.

My gut feeling is if this was an identical story by, fuck, morgan freeman? there'd be a lot of posters saying how understandable feeling like that is because white supremacy

stufte

« Reply #59378 on: February 05, 2019, 03:59:23 PM »
Thank GOD Liam Neeson wasn't in Chicago when Jussie Smollett was out getting Subway. Who knows how that would have ended. :(

marrec

« Reply #59379 on: February 05, 2019, 04:00:42 PM »
Thank GOD Liam Neeson wasn't in Chicago when Jussie Smollett was out getting Subway. Who knows how that would have ended. :(

I mean... have we confirmed Liam Neeson's whereabouts?

stufte

« Reply #59380 on: February 05, 2019, 04:02:43 PM »

I mean... have we confirmed Liam Neeson's whereabouts?

Oh god... you're on to something I think.

Boredfrom

« Reply #59381 on: February 05, 2019, 04:03:14 PM »

My gut feeling is if this was an identical story by, fuck, morgan freeman? there'd be a lot of posters saying how understandable feeling like that is because white supremacy

There a thread about Soulja Boy were most posters tried to ignore the user mentioning that he used homophobic slurs in twitter during his console business meltdown. Morgan Freeman is persona non grata in Reee, though.

Boredfrom

« Reply #59382 on: February 05, 2019, 04:07:37 PM »
I mean, is not true?

It also goes without saying and just keeps deflecting from the point.   Obviously it's not equal to actually going through with it, but his actions greatly increased the chance that he'd commit murder.   "Well he didn't commit a murder" isn't an argument against the fact his actions were incredibly concerning.

But nobody is celebrating his actions. He said he was being a dumb fucker himself.

Anyways I think it's a good story and a super interesting moment of reflection personally;  and while for his personal sake he probably shouldn't have shared it's still interesting.

“It started a conversation”.

Dude, that is so Reee.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #59383 on: February 05, 2019, 04:09:17 PM »
FFT > *

marrec

« Reply #59384 on: February 05, 2019, 04:09:54 PM »

Dude, that is so Reee.

Wrong, ERA is antithetical to conversation

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59385 on: February 05, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »
Morgan Freeman is persona non grata in Reee, though.

Oh, he is? What did he do?
I can't keep up with the unperson list any more

« Reply #59386 on: February 05, 2019, 04:10:28 PM »
The soft skulls already forgot about their defence of Bahar Mustafa huh?

Boredfrom

« Reply #59387 on: February 05, 2019, 04:10:59 PM »

Dude, that is so Reee.

thatisthejoke.jpg

agrajag

« Reply #59388 on: February 05, 2019, 04:11:11 PM »

We already know how they would react

Quote from: Nepenthe

You're dodging the question quite deftly by framing this as being about babies.

The lyrics don't target all babies. Just white ones. The lyrics are also sung by a black man.

Now why, in right-wing resurgence 2018, Nazis marching in the streets 2018, online interconnectivity 2018, would a black man make pointed rhetoric towards specifically white people?

It's just a mystery, I guess.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59389 on: February 05, 2019, 04:11:49 PM »
Anyways I think it's a good story and a super interesting moment of reflection personally;  and while for his personal sake he probably shouldn't have shared it's still interesting.

I'd like to think that mayeb if it had been handled differently it could have been a teachable moment, and that other people who are suffering from dark thoughts might look to get help because if that bad ass from taken can get fucked up and need to talk to someone maybe they can too.

Sadly it is what it is.

marrec

« Reply #59390 on: February 05, 2019, 04:12:57 PM »

Dude, that is so Reee.

thatisthejoke.jpg

god damnit now I need to go on GMA to apologize for not getting the joke

Boredfrom

« Reply #59391 on: February 05, 2019, 04:12:59 PM »

Seems to be a creeper. Just probably not near Cosby levels.

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #59392 on: February 05, 2019, 04:13:56 PM »

He's fucking his step granddaughter I believe.
Oi Oi

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #59393 on: February 05, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »

marrec

« Reply #59394 on: February 05, 2019, 04:15:49 PM »

Seems to be a creeper. Just probably not near Cosby levels.

I thought it came out most of that shit was fabricated tho right? I can't keep up... :(

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #59395 on: February 05, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
Did that interviewer deliberately pick the "He's right you know" image for that interview?

Boredfrom

« Reply #59396 on: February 05, 2019, 04:16:48 PM »

I'd like to think that mayeb if it had been handled differently it could have been a teachable moment, and that other people who are suffering from dark thoughts might look to get help because if that bad ass from taken can get fucked up and need to talk to someone maybe they can too.

Sadly it is what it is.

Phew! Liam Neeson wasn’t racist after all, explain John Humphrys and a male psychotherapist
Emotions! A male response to grief! A promotional stunt! Anything but racism…

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/02/liam-neeson-racist-john-humphrys-today-show-interview-cosh

Boredfrom

« Reply #59397 on: February 05, 2019, 04:20:05 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

The last part I disagree, talking about racism is important... we shouldn’t let people like Nephente or Ttump being the dominant voices, though.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #59398 on: February 05, 2019, 04:20:15 PM »
Did that interviewer deliberately pick the "He's right you know" image for that interview?

Some dude on imgur did that. The real interview was on video

marrec

« Reply #59399 on: February 05, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »

Some dude on imgur did that. The real interview was on video

Some dude on imgur interviewed morgan freeman?!