Author Topic: E3 2018 Is Here Bayyybeeee  (Read 92911 times)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Re: E3 2018 Is Here Bayyybeeee
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2018, 02:34:42 AM »
Hi

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2018, 03:27:09 AM »
Wii was the worst console purchase I ever made and I bought a Playstation 3 just to play DUST 514 after it had been out for years.

Corporal

« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2018, 05:45:57 AM »
You did that? My condolences. :lol

WALKING IN STATIONS though. Does EVE even still exist? Besides EVE Valkyrie. Or is that dead as well? I must confess I'm completely out of the loop in all things CCP related.

Realistically Switch is as low-effort as WiiU so far. Take away the ports and there's again been the WiiU-typical half a year without any notable exclusive releases, except for another phoned-in 2d mascot platformer (Kirby). They don't have to show much at E3 either, because their fanbase has gotten increasingly spineless. Nowadays that Wii Music conference would probably be hyped because it had the latest Animal Crossing rehash and Smash came out shortly before it :lol They also got got those unwashed Smash Bros fans covered this year, who will hype up character cameos as if real games from the borrowed IPs were announced and drown any potential negative narratives at E3.

The Switch had great new installments in the two flagship Nintendo franchises out within six-ish months of launch. That's why it has the reputation it does and has coasted on it. I mean, it *does* have better software than WiiU and weirdly enough seems to be getting more 3rd party love too, but the only games on it I feel like I have to own at this point are still Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey.
The difference, to me, is the timing. The releases are staggered far better so that the ridiculous droughts of the WiiU aren't appearing. Plus, NVidia did the design and software stack so 3rd parties aren't immediately running for the hills as before. Otherwise, we're now slowly approaching the time where Nintendo and third parties either nail or blow it. This time around, there's no 3DS to siphon off resources, so things should go well, but with Nintendo you just never know.
!list

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2018, 10:19:26 AM »
The Switch has Xenoblade 2, DQ Builders, and soon Octopath Traveler (with a new FE and SMT coming eventually)... that's already better than the super disappointing Wii RPG library (come on, anyone remember FFCC The Crystal Bearers?). For a system that was so successful, especially in Japan, you'd think there would be a shit ton of quality RPGs for it. But there were only the Operation Rainfall games, a FE, and like... Opoona.
^_^

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »

WALKING IN STATIONS though. Does EVE even still exist? Besides EVE Valkyrie. Or is that dead as well? I must confess I'm completely out of the loop in all things CCP related.

Thanks but I had a blast. My only regret is that I didn't play sooner.

EVE still exists. It went F2P on a limited basis and brought in new blood. Valkyrie went VR optional and CCP is trying to sell off the studio that made it because (shocker) there isn't a market for big budget VR games. These days they're working on a pretend mobile game, EVE, and a sort of sequel to DUST 514 that won't be as RTFM but on PC instead of a console.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »
The Switch has Xenoblade 2, DQ Builders, and soon Octopath Traveler (with a new FE and SMT coming eventually)... that's already better than the super disappointing Wii RPG library (come on, anyone remember FFCC The Crystal Bearers?). For a system that was so successful, especially in Japan, you'd think there would be a shit ton of quality RPGs for it. But there were only the Operation Rainfall games, a FE, and like... Opoona.

My weeb rpg tastes are more specific these days and pretty much none of those games interest me, although more power to you if you like them.

re: the shitty wii jrpg library despite it's success in Japan, people make the mistake of thinking of the Wii as a video game system when basically it was a toy that happened to play shitty video games. Due to the early, overwhelming success of waggle as a gimmick, errbody saw that and were like "well shit I guess that's what people like so let's shit out a bunch of crappy waggle games and make a bunch of money" when the waggle itch had been sufficiently scratched with the (relatively) higher quality Wii sports pack in. It wasn't an experience that people wanted INFINITE AMOUNTS OF necessarily so much as it was an experience where people were like "oh wow that's 'cool' and I'm a shitperson with no taste that will follow fads, let me purchase this and we too can wii bowl" PROVE ME WRONG MOTHERFUCKERS
yar

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2018, 01:59:46 PM »
something something lapsed gamers something something
🍆🍆

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2018, 02:19:42 PM »
Oh, are we talking nonsense about nintender?  My two cents:

NES- Fuckin' awesome and brought home console gaming back from the dead.  Still love to go back and play its library.

SNES- Also fuckin' awesome and what I had when I was a kid, but when I got a bit older and could start buying my own games, I got a Nomad and a CDX and found that I liked the Genesis library a lot more than the SNES library overall.

N64- The first time (we all knew VB was gonna be a bomb so not counting it) Nintendo really disappointed me.  Did not like their shift to 3D and the limited cartridge format meant higher prices, cut content on multiplat games, and a general lack of third party support.  I only got a system because the hype for Zelda was so insane that my grandfather bought me a console.  Fun I had with it was spent playing Goldeneye multiplayer (before I had a system- we'd just borrow them from work to play) and Conker's Bad Fur Day at the end of the system's life.  That was about it for me. 

Game Cube- Really liked this console.  Much improved from the N64 although I still wasn't as into the Nintendo 3D stuff.  Sunshine was 'eh' and Mario Kart Double Dash sucked.  Liked Wave Race and Luigi's Mansion though.  Enjoyed more of the third party stuff like Super Monkey Ball, Beach Spikers, F-Zero GX (hey, it's Sega :P), Resident Evil 4, Viewtiful Joe, PN03, and more.  Also loved the Gameboy Player for GBA advance gaming on TV.

Wii- "The Game Cube Turbo" with shittier controls.  Hated waggle so much.  I ended up with a decent-ish library, so it's not all crap, but it's easily my least-played Nintendo console ever.  For a system that sold so well and was so popular, it quickly faded away and just got tons of shovelware.  Also showed that Nintendo was stuck in the past when it came to things like online multiplayer.

Wii U- Nintendo finally joined the ranks of the PS3 and 360...a year before their successors were about to come out.  The tablet controller would have been cool if it had a lot more range, but it didn't and was big and clunky.  Did not care about buying this at launch and was finally convinced to get one in 2014 when some big name titles got announced.  I basically bought it for Bayonetta 2 and then some of the other Nintendo releases that year like Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, and Smash.  It ended up with a small library of really good games, but more and more of them are being ported to the Switch and it makes me wonder why I'm still keeping it.

Switch- AKA "Wii U done right."  Takes the tablet controller idea and makes it the entire console.  Merging handheld and consoles into one paid off for Nintendo.  If they weren't going to try match the tech that Sony and MS had, going this route made a lot of sense.  Nintendo can now focus on making games for one platform, which means more first-party releases, and while there's still a big lack of big company third party support, it's made up for by the huge amount of smaller and indie releases.  Tons of games get releases every month. 

TL;DR- NES/SNES/GC/Switch YEAH! 
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »
Imagine still being that salty about Wii in 2018.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2018, 02:44:25 PM »
Imagine still being that salty about Wii in 2018.

Waggle is haram
yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »

For one, Wii still had Fire Emblem without the pedo-factor, unlike the one you want to get a Switch for.

e: WiiU grades E, it didn't even have an exlusive Zelda :doge
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:25:32 PM by Spieler1 »

Tasty

« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2018, 03:10:32 PM »
NES: B
SNES: A
N64: C
GC: B
Wii: B
Wii U: C
Switch: C (so far)

GB: B
GBC: C
GBA: B
DS: A
3DS: B

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2018, 03:42:32 PM »
NES/GB GOAT

SNES is great

N64 is good

GC/GBA so-so but has some god tier niche games

DS is good

3DS Idon'tknowher.jiff

Wii/Wii U is meh

Switch Idon'tknowher.jiff

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2018, 04:15:11 PM »
NES - amazing console that practically birthed the console market in Japan and revitalized it in America. Lots of great 'hidden gem' action games, beyond the obvious.

SNES - the GOAT. Best 1st party games, best RPG lineup, technically proficient with amazing sound.

N64 - this was a big disappointment coming after the SNES. My tastes have always been RPG heavy, and the utter lack of RPGs on the N64 really damaged it in my eyes. When Nintendo announced their "dream team" of people like Acclaim... and not Capcom/Konami/Square/Enix, that's when I knew something was amiss. The blurry ass textures and fog didn't help matters much, nor did the sound quality or the unorthodox controller.

GC - a step up from the N64 in terms of 3rd party games and library variety, but aside from Melee, had the weakest first party games. Cute industrial design, though.

Wii - a system with a ton of promise that all seemed to go out the window once cheap waggle became the order of the day. Was expecting it to get more Japanese 3rd party support that never materialized. Some of the first party games were great, but even then they got waggle forced in. The Virtual Console was the real highlight of the system for me. A legal way to pick up so many fantastic retro games, including a ton of obscurities and some games never before released in the US (Monster World IV and Sin and Punishment).

Wii U - a disaster of a console, with a confusing message and a clunky ass tablet. But some of the game releases were pretty good, Mario 3D Land in particular. Nintendo should have just scrapped the tablet and released this back in 2010 as "Wii HD" or "Wii 2" with a cross-gen Skyward Sword and Xenoblade... or they should have skipped this system entirely and released the Switch a few years earlier.

Switch - still a bit too early to say, but the concept is what I've been wanting from Nintendo for years, and its first year brought the big guns (Zelda/Splatoon/Mario). Also looks to be the first Nintendo console with a good RPG library since the SNES, especially since it seems to consolidate the games usually released on handhelds (which were always strong RPG wise). Wish it had a Virtual Console, though.

GB - the original, though truthfully its library is really dated. There are a few good games (Link's Awakening, Seiken 1, Gargoyle's Quest), but most of it is cheap puzzle games or highly compromised takes on 8 bit console gaming.

Virtual Boy - headache inducing, from the few games I've played on it. An interesting collector's novelty, but easily the worst thing Nintendo's ever done.

GBC - don't really have much experience with this, but it seems like a stop gap release that was quickly rendered obsolete by the GBA. The DQ ports were cool, though.

GBA - I had pretty high expectations for this, but it's got its share of flaws. The terrible screen in the first model, awful sound quality, and lack of face buttons kept the system from reaching the potential it should have. The SP had such great industrial design and that's where I jumped in on the console. Some nice niche releases, and some decent SNES ports, but Nintendo first party was pretty weak apart from the Metroid games.

DS - And for this, I had extremely low expectations, but it ended up surprising me. At first, it seemed like a gimmick platform, but the 3rd party support was massive, the RPG library was ridiculously large (though never quite hitting the highs of say, the SNES/PS1/PS2), there were tons of creative and niche games. Probably the best Nintendo handheld.

3DS - I shut off the 3D gimmick, and technically doesn't seem much of a step up from the original DS. The blurry screen and muddy textures a lot of games have make it seem that way. There's a decent library of games, that I haven't explored nearly enough as I should.
^_^

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »

Eve is still their most successful thing, and yes it's still alive. Believe it or not.

And I agree with you Kara: I bought one for my ex-boyfriend and it's by far my worse purchase with my PS360 actually getting more use despite my 360 dying to the point of me not getting a replacement and the PS3 having some shit ports.

Corporal

« Reply #195 on: May 27, 2018, 07:23:15 PM »
It's great that EVE is still chugging along. Had a lot of fun with that game until I did a dumb and got podded with a hideously expensive clone in a wormhole. Logged out and uninstalled and haven't come back since because rebuilding that clone would take waaaaaay too much time. OK so my Corp was crap too and I was burnt out. But still. I even had fun carebearing. Nothing like seeing destroyers on dscan and immediately jumping to a pre-aligned safespot... with like 5% structure remaining.
The planetary stuff was boring and disappointing though.

Anyway.

How can anyone still be sore about Wii. Sports, Boom Blox and the VC&eshop alone made the thing worth it, not to mention the selection of great games hidden away in the avalanche of crap. It was inexpensive, at 250 bucks with a game, and nigh-complete GC backwards compatibility (PSO :'( ). Meanwhile other contemporaries started at like double that for even the most filthy ghetto edition. What were you expecting, really.
!list

thisismyusername

« Reply #196 on: May 27, 2018, 08:22:57 PM »
NES: A
SNES: B
N64: D
Wii: F
Wii U: F
Switch: F

GBC: B

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #197 on: May 27, 2018, 08:43:27 PM »
NES: B+
GC: D-
Wii: D+
Switch: B-

GBC: B
DS: B
🍆🍆

agrajag

« Reply #198 on: May 27, 2018, 09:15:44 PM »
N64: B-
GC: C
Wii: C+
Wii U: D
Switch: B

handhelds: don't curr

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #199 on: May 27, 2018, 09:59:05 PM »
Wii: I don't rate toys masquerading as video game systems
Switch: C

VB: F
GBA: A
yar

Tasty

« Reply #200 on: May 27, 2018, 11:06:14 PM »
Wii: I don't rate toys masquerading as video game systems
Switch: C

VB: F
GBA: A

Lines up with mine surprisingly well lol.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #201 on: May 27, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »
I still feel like a gba micro would be fun to have

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #202 on: May 28, 2018, 12:58:26 AM »
Wii was the worst console purchase I ever made and I bought a Playstation 3 just to play DUST 514 after it had been out for years.
I enjoyed your posts on that, some of those suits were really cool, even if they cost hundreds of dollars  :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2018, 01:31:59 AM »
Dust 514 was so bad. Like, it was struggling to run on the PS3 and it was "exclusive" to the fucking thing. :doge

I can't wait to see how badly optimized the PC port is. And how much the "integration with EVE!" they touted is still not there. :doge :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #204 on: May 28, 2018, 03:36:02 AM »
SNES: ? (owned a Mega Drive)
N64: B
GC: C
Wii: D
Wii U: F (didn't own, no need)
Switch: B

GB: A
3DS:? (didn't own)

Corporal

« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
Dust 514 was so bad. Like, it was struggling to run on the PS3 and it was "exclusive" to the fucking thing. :doge

I can't wait to see how badly optimized the PC port is. And how much the "integration with EVE!" they touted is still not there. :doge :doge
Pewpewing the scarce few planets in EVE for Dust orbital strikes was such an immense letdown. Skill- and equipment-wise there was nothing to it, IIRC. Thoroughly unsatisfying "gameplay", as well. What were they thinking. It's like someone looked at planetary goop extraction and decided that was too exciting a game mechanic.

And yeah, the few times I tried it, Dust ran like ass. Thicc, vaseline coated lard ass. What were hey thinking. I mean, besides "Thanks for all the monies, Sony". Probably.
!list

thisismyusername

« Reply #206 on: May 28, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #207 on: May 28, 2018, 05:59:45 PM »
Lmfao someone was probably so serious about that

thisismyusername

« Reply #208 on: May 28, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2018, 07:41:41 PM »
NES: Whoa the scrolling is really smooth compared to Apple IIGS, B+
SNES: Fuck yeah I ain't never seed nothin like Mode 7 before, A
N64: Well at least that one launch game was good, C
GC: I have (mostly) wasted my money, C-
Wii: Not actually a game console, see me after class
Wii U: Bought for $100 from a friend so I could play Zelda, aside from that, F
Switch: Eh getting better, C+

GB: FUCK YEAH DUCKTALES UNDER THE COVERS (with a flashlight), A+
GBA: FUCK YEAH FIRE PRO WRESTLING ON THE TRAIN TO SCHOOL, A+
DS: Sorry too busy playing my modded PSP on the train to work, C+
3DS: Ooh Soul Hackers and SMT all up my boyhole, pity about that 1994 DOS game resolution, C+

thisismyusername

« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2018, 07:59:04 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2018, 08:24:58 PM »
wait, people are seriously giving the NES A's?

i don't care if it saved the damn industry

how do i action these

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2018, 08:29:09 PM »
wait, people are seriously giving the NES A's?

i don't care if it saved the damn industry

how do i action these

It had tons of great games.   ???
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
just because of that wrath, now i'm considering the opinion that the game boy has the superior library :thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2018, 08:33:20 PM »
if the NES is an A, what's the SNES which peaks higher across the board? i mean

benjipwns

« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »
the SNES has both of the best Mario games, Yoshi's Island and Super Mario Bros. 3

wait, so does the GBA :thinking

edit: GBA loses cuz officially i gotta have four carts to have SMB2, SMB3, SMW and SMW2:YI

SNES i can have All-Stars+World cart and Yoshi's Island cart :ohyeah

also my tv is larger than the micro's screen, and snes pad larger with more buttons than micro
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:40:49 PM by benjipwns »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2018, 08:34:50 PM »
shut the fuck up and like my post if you haven't already

benjipwns

« Reply #219 on: May 28, 2018, 08:36:28 PM »
Microsoft going to announce new Crimson Skies

for PC exclusive

Xbox One X users may stream from their PC

benjipwns

« Reply #220 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:33 PM »
Nintendo went obviously downhill after they didn't force Crawfish to put World Tour mode in SFA3 for the GBA before certifying it

the next year E3 was Pac-Man Vs. and you know the story from there

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
if the NES is an A, what's the SNES which peaks higher across the board? i mean

Dunno, cuz Genesis is better
 :ohyeah
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #222 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:02 PM »
so the grade is meaningless, and i thought this site was about ethics in gaming scores and holodomor journalism

benjipwns

« Reply #223 on: May 28, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
what's next, four of you drop your scores from A++ to C- because they changed the music from the Japanese version?!?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: May 28, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »
what's next, four of you drop your scores from A++ to C- because they changed the music from the Japanese version?!?
:rage :rage :trigger :trigger :rage :rage
ど助平

agrajag

« Reply #225 on: May 28, 2018, 09:38:02 PM »
Benji, benji, benji, benji...

If you're going to count All Stars, which is a collection of ports, then I'll count Virtual Console for the Wii which kills every other Nintendo console with a knockout KO by virtue of having all their best titles.

benjipwns

« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2018, 09:55:33 PM »
gotta buy a peripheral device to play them :neogaf

benjipwns

« Reply #227 on: May 28, 2018, 09:57:02 PM »
AND not ports, remasters, look at dem HD graphics, dem multi line scrolls in the backgrounds, dat NO SPRITE FLICKER, dem NEVER BEFORE RELEASED LOST LEVELS :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #228 on: May 28, 2018, 09:59:06 PM »
remember when Nintendo put out All-Stars on a disc for the Wii :rofl

agrajag

« Reply #229 on: May 28, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
remember when Nintendo put out All-Stars on a disc for the Wii :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

Thereby defeating your own argument? Wii has All Stars + Virtual Console + Wii Sports

:ufup

benjipwns

« Reply #230 on: May 28, 2018, 10:45:41 PM »
FACT CHECK: still gotta buy a peripheral to play most of the VC library

FACT CHECK: no Link's Awakening so can't have all their best titles

FACT CHECK: VC will only work through the rest of this year (especially if the Democrats win the election)

Tasty

« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2018, 11:23:26 PM »
SNES wins vs. GBA just by virtue of the ports are utterly butchered for the handheld.

Yoshi yelping every time he jumps :holeup

Kara

« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:50 PM »
I enjoyed your posts on that, some of those suits were really cool, even if they cost hundreds of dollars  :doge

Even though I bought a lot of cosmetic items, I always came back to using the Ishukone skin because playing in a suit that looked like it was gold-plated seemed like the only honest choice.

agrajag

« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2018, 11:48:15 PM »
Well, if All Stars is the deciding factor, Wii has that on a disc  :smug

benjipwns

« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2018, 12:37:22 AM »
SNES wins vs. GBA just by virtue of the ports are utterly butchered for the handheld.

Yoshi yelping every time he jumps :holeup
this reminds me, Link's constant yelling whenever he does anything in the GBA LTTP

wtf is with Nintendo making all their characters annoying

now I'm angry they didn't edit the Wii All-Stars to have Mario WAHOOING as he jumped (also replacing the soundtrack so it has more "wa wa" moments)

agrajag

« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2018, 12:51:25 AM »
I never minded baby Mario yelling in Yoshi's Island, that's just Nintendo motivating you to git gud brehs

Tasty

« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2018, 01:10:35 AM »
I never minded baby Mario yelling in Yoshi's Island, that's just Nintendo motivating you to git gud brehs

Not what we're talking about. They added Yoshi Story sounds to the Yoshi's Island GBA port and other SNES ports for that handheld. It was terrible.

The resolution and music were also usually butchered, with the controls taking a hit due to two fewer buttons too.

benjipwns

« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2018, 01:11:23 AM »
i never heard it, that's how good i was

spoiler (click to show/hide)
at inputting codes into my game genie :smug
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2018, 01:19:08 AM »
Andy,   Benji said what's up with Nintendo making all the characters sound annoying, and I went on a tangent bb  :-*

Real talk, I never bothered with game genie. I had a friend that brought one over once, and it seemed like all the codes revolved around breaking the game kinda, so I didn't see the point. The only cheat feature that I would've loved to have would be the ability to save anytime (like you can do with save states on emus), but I don't believe you could do that with game genie.

benjipwns

« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2018, 01:33:35 AM »
the instantly win every battle code was real useful for getting all the endings for Chrono Trigger

i mean, so i heard

i actually got them all the hard way, started a new game for each, honest

no multiple save slots either