Poll

Answer

Yes
40 (58.8%)
No
28 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Should Assy McGee be banned for a week to give him time to read a Daddy P book?  (Read 52561 times)

agrajag

Throw your money at shitty boring books to own the libs, brehs

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*

That's why the dems stay taking Ls in elections

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
I've had a migraine for the past few days, and I'm not saying it was because I read a Jordan Peterson book and it gave me a brain tumor, but the timing is a little suspicious.
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I've had a migraine for the past few days, and I'm not saying it was because I read a Jordan Peterson book and it gave me a brain tumor, but the timing is a little suspicious.

Oh, Yeti, I am so sorry. :tocry
dog

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
I’m only tough because I know you can be better.

Can he tho

This has all the makings of a Very Special Episode of The Bore.

You've got Assimilate as the archetypal bully (and even filler as his weaselly sidekick). He already has several posts where he hints that his behavior is the result of persistent unhappiness and dissatisfaction with his offline life.

The big turn is going to come when we find out that he's illiterate, and that the shame he's been carrying with him makes him lash out. Then we all band together to help him learn to read and to value himself without needing to tear down others.

The question is when we get to the montage sequence where we're teaching him to read, what music do we set it to? I vote something earnest and 2000's-y, like Coldplay or Pink.

This whole situation is reminiscent of that Blossom episode where Six is getting banged by David Schwimmer. Assy is Six.
serge

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Wow, did you just fucking spoil an episode of Blossom for me? >:(

TVC15

Looks like early season 4. I guess he’s in 2 eps. Iirc Schwimmer is playing some sort of “bad boy” (yes, David Schwimmer) that Blossom doesn’t like.
serge

Oblivion

That's why the dems stay taking Ls in elections

The dems lose elections cause they don't want to financially support right-wing pseudointellectuals?

Oblivion

Also, paying for a book that you could legally get for free :neogaf

As the saying goes: " a lobster and his money are soon parted"

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.

Looks like early season 4. I guess he’s in 2 eps. Iirc Schwimmer is playing some sort of “bad boy” (yes, David Schwimmer) that Blossom doesn’t like.

I watched a clip on YouTube as soon as you mentioned it. He's a pedophile.

TVC15

Woah.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Was it a very special episode about bad touches, like Sonic the Hedgehog warned me about?
©@©™

Kara

From the looks of things it's a paint by numbers "vulnerable teenage girl dating idiot adult male" that won't examine society's normalization of those kinds of relationships.

TVC15

From the looks of things it's a paint by numbers "vulnerable teenage girl dating idiot adult male" that won't examine society's normalization of those kinds of relationships.

I could’ve sworn there was a bad boy angle to this, but I haven’t seen it in a long time. I’m sure there is an episode where Six is getting banged by a bad boy.

The best part is that Ross looks just like his Friends character at the start of the series and Six looks like a whored-up 16-year old.
serge

Kara

He's dressed like a mechanic in the clip so I could see a brigandage angle. (Though not because I believe mechanics are criminals.)

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have to watch this. :brazilcry
[close]

TVC15

Jesus, how could any of the other characters tolerate being around Blossom? She is the worst person alive. I would have sold her into sex trafficking the minute she started talking, once I realized what her personality was like. Maybe her dad did try to do that, but the sex traffickers wouldn’t take her because her face is so weird looking. Is it possible she got some sort of rare, post-natal fetal alcohol syndrome from her older alcoholic brother funneling Schlitz into her mouth as a newborn?

Anyway, according to Blossompedia, Sonny is an ex-con that works at a garage.
serge

Kara

Latest activity
[edit] Anthony Russo
edited by Spiderman925
Summary: I just Removed lies about Tony's marriage and the name of his wife.

:lol

TVC15

That’s juicy enough that I’m going to see if I can look at the page’s history.
serge

TVC15

It wasn’t juicy.
serge

Tasty

filler as the weaselly sidekick :lol :rofl

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
Also, paying for a book that you could legally get for free :neogaf

As the saying goes: " a lobster and his money are soon parted"
Yes, in PDF but i wanted the audio book. There was no way i was getting through Maps of Meaning by reading it. It's hard as it is listening to the audio version and i'm putting it on before bed, and so i doubt i'll get through it fully paying attention.

This book is not easy for a multitude of reasons. This is something more for professionals in the field, or a student. I don't see how or why you'd read this other than being really interested in these topics or heavily invested in Peterson to even attempt it.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:37:13 PM by Assimilate »

agrajag

read something good, like Viktor Frankl's Man's Search for Meaning

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
Maps of Meaning is good though

But i think his writing is a bit difficult, he doesn't make it very fun. I mean, you read the synopsis and it sounds really intriguing

Why have people from different cultures and eras formulated myths and stories with similar structures? What does this similarity tell us about the mind, morality, and structure of the world itself? From the author of 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos comes a provocative hypothesis that explores the connection between what modern neuropsychology tells us about the brain and what rituals, myths, and religious stories have long narrated. A cutting-edge work that brings together neuropsychology, cognitive science, and Freudian and Jungian approaches to mythology and narrative, Maps of Meaning presents a rich theory that makes the wisdom and meaning of myth accessible to the critical modern mind.

But then his writing is too ' academicy' and i think that's why he started releasing his lectures based on his book on youtube. The lectures keep you engaged. The book is a bit of a drag.

agrajag

What are your favorite parts of the book so far?

curly

• cultural maoist

This has all the makings of a Very Special Episode of The Bore.

You've got Assimilate as the archetypal bully (and even filler as his weaselly sidekick). He already has several posts where he hints that his behavior is the result of persistent unhappiness and dissatisfaction with his offline life.

The big turn is going to come when we find out that he's illiterate, and that the shame he's been carrying with him makes him lash out. Then we all band together to help him learn to read and to value himself without needing to tear down others.

The question is when we get to the montage sequence where we're teaching him to read, what music do we set it to? I vote something earnest and 2000's-y, like Coldplay or Pink.

assimilate missed a huge opportunity by not replying with "I wish I were illiterate....SO I COULDN'T READ YOUR POSTS!"

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*

Nothing yet. He starts by educating you on various parts of the brain to help you understand neuropsychology and how they can measure sensory input in the brain and all this

The averaged cortical event-related potential produced by infrequent or otherwise meaningful events is a
waveform with a characteristic time-course and shape. Most attention has been paid to elements of this
waveform that occur within the first half-second (500 milliseconds) post-stimulus occurrence. As the first
half-second passes, the polarity of the waveform shifts. Peaks and valleys occur at different, more-or-less
standard times (and in essentially predictable “locations”) and have therefore been identified and named.
Event-related potentials (ERPs) are negative (N) or positive (P) depending on polarity, and numbered
according to their occurrence in time. The earliest aspects of the ERP (<200 msec) vary with change in the
purely sensory quality of an event. The waveforms named N200 (negative 200 msec) and P300 (positive
300 msec), by contrast, vary with the affective significance and magnitude of the stimulus, and can even be
evoked by the absence of an event that was expected, but that did not appear.

which leads to his point of

This means that
consciousness plays a centrally important role in the generation of the predictable and comprehended
world from the domain of the unexpected. Such response, placement and generation remains forever
mediated by the twin forces of hope/curiosity and anxiety – forces produced, non-coincidentally, by the
same structures that govern “reflexive” orientation and exploratory motor output.

this has to do with 'orienting reflex' , when googled:
The orienting response (OR), also called orienting reflex, is an organism's immediate response to a change in its environment, when that change is not sudden enough to elicit the startle reflex

He goes into this to talk about things 'unknown' to you in reality.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 12:06:33 AM by Assimilate »

agrajag

TVC15

Maps of Meaning is good though

But i think his writing is a bit difficult, he doesn't make it very fun. I mean, you read the synopsis and it sounds really intriguing

Why have people from different cultures and eras formulated myths and stories with similar structures? What does this similarity tell us about the mind, morality, and structure of the world itself? From the author of 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos comes a provocative hypothesis that explores the connection between what modern neuropsychology tells us about the brain and what rituals, myths, and religious stories have long narrated. A cutting-edge work that brings together neuropsychology, cognitive science, and Freudian and Jungian approaches to mythology and narrative, Maps of Meaning presents a rich theory that makes the wisdom and meaning of myth accessible to the critical modern mind.

But then his writing is too ' academicy' and i think that's why he started releasing his lectures based on his book on youtube. The lectures keep you engaged. The book is a bit of a drag.

The bolded is very

Why bother listening to a non-stimulating audiobook when you can watch a movie?
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
amazing movie, I recommend if you can't afford the going rate for a lobotomy
每天生气

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
This book is not easy for a multitude of reasons.

The biggest one being that he probably wrote normal sentences and then let it be raped by a thesaurus. Put the most mangled outcome in the book. It's like he deliberately picked the longest possible synonym for each of the words he wrote just to pad out this 300 page book.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Nothing yet. He starts by educating you on various parts of the brain to help you understand neuropsychology and how they can measure sensory input in the brain and all this

The averaged cortical event-related potential produced by infrequent or otherwise meaningful events is a
waveform with a characteristic time-course and shape. Most attention has been paid to elements of this
waveform that occur within the first half-second (500 milliseconds) post-stimulus occurrence. As the first
half-second passes, the polarity of the waveform shifts. Peaks and valleys occur at different, more-or-less
standard times (and in essentially predictable “locations”) and have therefore been identified and named.
Event-related potentials (ERPs) are negative (N) or positive (P) depending on polarity, and numbered
according to their occurrence in time. The earliest aspects of the ERP (<200 msec) vary with change in the
purely sensory quality of an event. The waveforms named N200 (negative 200 msec) and P300 (positive
300 msec), by contrast, vary with the affective significance and magnitude of the stimulus, and can even be
evoked by the absence of an event that was expected, but that did not appear.

which leads to his point of

This means that
consciousness plays a centrally important role in the generation of the predictable and comprehended
world from the domain of the unexpected. Such response, placement and generation remains forever
mediated by the twin forces of hope/curiosity and anxiety – forces produced, non-coincidentally, by the
same structures that govern “reflexive” orientation and exploratory motor output.

this has to do with 'orienting reflex' , when googled:
The orienting response (OR), also called orienting reflex, is an organism's immediate response to a change in its environment, when that change is not sudden enough to elicit the startle reflex

He goes into this to talk about things 'unknown' to you in reality.

Ok, Mandark. It seems he's reading it. Put up or shut up, you're reading it too right? :ufup

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
This book is not easy for a multitude of reasons.

The biggest one being that he probably wrote normal sentences and then let it be raped by a thesaurus. Put the most mangled outcome in the book. It's like he deliberately picked the longest possible synonym for each of the words he wrote just to pad out this 300 page book.

Or to make himself sound smarter.

See:

Evilore, etoilet
Can you stop with this? The guy has his papers sited hundreds of times over. Put that to rest.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Can you stop with this? The guy has his papers sited hundreds of times over. Put that to rest.
there's just so much to work here with...i can't...somebody else do it :-[

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
there's just so much to work here with...i can't...somebody else do it :-[
oh great Boy Genius.

Trying to make yourself sound smarter is what Michael Eric Dyson did/does on a regular basis. But a lot of you lap that shit up.  :heh

benjipwns

so what's the reason you're always so obsessed with declaring what other people do/like/etc. seemingly especially in cases where nobody actually has brought up, let alone sang the praises of the center of your accusation?

oh great Boy Genius
thanks for the compliment but it was unnecessary

seagrams hotsauce

ya benji is a genius cuz he knows how to spell 'cited' lol

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
ya benji is a genius cuz he knows how to spell 'cited' lol
First sign of an autisty to me is someone trying to get at common mistakes. It's like when someone jumps on you for using 'your' instead of 'you're' every 20 posts or so. Even the most professional writers fuck up, that's why they have editors.

but you know, in the world of autistys online forum warriors this is a legitimate way to attack someone without actually having anything of value to say. What makes is a bit more pathetic is that this was a legitimate strategy in the early days of the internet. Most people kind of realized it was a dumb way to attack someone, and moved on.

But not the autistys.  :yeshrug

agrajag

What's an autisty?  :thinking

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
What's an autisty?  :thinking

Someone like Beaks.

A gas station employee in some shit hole town in the mid west, bouncing back and forth from low rent apartments and his parents house at 30. Smokes a lot of weed, and occasionally pats himself on the back for picking up on commonly made grammar mistakes on an online forum

imagine that being your life  :neogaf

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Orthagraphy was by far the lesser problem in that post, but nobody gives enough of a shit to explain it.  Hungrynoob liked to flaunt the 'many citations' too. Someone commented on it then. I'd dig it up, but - eh.

benjipwns

A gas station employee in some shit hole town in the mid west, bouncing back and forth from low rent apartments and his parents house at 30. Smokes a lot of weed, and occasionally pats himself on the back for picking up on commonly made grammar mistakes on an online forum
that's a weirdly specific fantasy

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
Orthagraphy was by far the lesser problem in that post, but nobody gives enough of a shit to explain it.  Hungrynoob liked to flaunt the 'many citations' too. Someone commented on it then. I'd dig it up, but - eh.
Trying to sound smart  ::)

Nothing holds any water to the autisty types anymore.

Being a professional in a field for 20+ years- don't matter
Teaching at one of the best universities in the world - don't matter
Being one of the most published scholars in a particular field - don't matter
Being cited a hundred times over - don't matter
Being invited to debate and speak at various events with other scholars/journalists/etc - don't matter

One of these things can be written off, ok, but eventually it just starts to stack up. Trying to say "oh he's just trying to sound smart" just because you don't agree with someone, fuck off already.  The guy knows his shit, he's 'smart' by any way you want to measure it.

Agree with him or not, but enough of the pseudoscience argument bullshit. It's just a way to discredit something you don't agree with or bother to try and understand.

It's effortless, and low quality.

Boredfrom

Nothing holds any water to the autisty types anymore.

Being a professional in a field for 20+ years- don't matter
Teaching at one of the best universities in the world - don't matter
Being one of the most published scholars in a particular field - don't matter
Being cited a hundred times over - don't matter
Being invited to debate and speak at various events with other scholars/journalists/etc - don't matter

One of these things can be written off, ok, but eventually it just starts to stack up. Trying to say "oh he's just trying to sound smart" just because you don't agree with someone, fuck off already.  The guy knows his shit, he's 'smart' by any way you want to measure it.

Agree with him or not, but enough of the pseudoscience argument bullshit. It's just a way to discredit something you don't agree with or bother to try and understand.

It's effortless, and low quality.

While I don’t exactly disagree with you assessment in general, those points are not real guarantee in being a genuinely good in their field in some cases. Given criticism of perceived academic movements, is kind of tone deaf to use this argument.

agrajag

Jordan Peterbutt says Universities are indoctrination dens for neo Marxist ideologies. Surely working at such discredited institutions does him no favors. Thankfully his current tenure at the well-respected Prager U guarantees his legitimacy as an academic and a non-autisty intellectual. Can't wait for all his peer-reviewed studies at the U!

:lawd

seagrams hotsauce

lol learn 2 spell :umad

seagrams hotsauce

also lol @ shortbus over here saying 'stop trying to sound smart' when he doesn't understand shit now :lol

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*

Given criticism of perceived academic movements, is kind of tone deaf to use this argument.
  What do you mean?

I find it comical that someone with no experience, knowledge, or credentials in a field can call something pseudoscience. How does anyone in this forum know? Especially Vagina over here.

Jordan Peterbutt says Universities are indoctrination dens for neo Marxist ideologies. Surely working at such discredited institutions does him no favors. Thankfully his current tenure at the well-respected Prager U guarantees his legitimacy as an academic and a non-autisty intellectual. Can't wait for all his peer-reviewed studies at the U!

:lawd
What experience or education do you have in any of this? You have none. And no one in Petersons field, no one respected with the proper credentials have come out and said "this guy has it all wrong, he's hot air". As far as i can tell nobody has.

When that James Damore thing happened we saw the same shit. You'd have twitter activists saying he was all wrong, and that his paper sucked, and this and that. But no one with real credentials said he was wrong, they said the opposite. People disagreed with him, but he had the paper properly cited by real research that is not discredited.

but of course the autistys would link some twitter trans grad student somewhere saying he was all wrong.  :lol

also lol @ shortbus over here saying 'stop trying to sound smart' when he doesn't understand shit now :lol
That was clearly sarcastic

are you high all day breh?

:crazy

seagrams hotsauce

shut up bitch

agrajag

There is no hard right and wrong in social sciences, ya dingus. Show me a single peer-reviewed study on chaos dragons and witches. Show me how Peterson utilizes the scientific method. No more dumb appeals to authority, you primate. Every time you do that, you are saying that YOU are too simple to contend with him philosophically and submit to his superior intelligence. Clearly no one else here believes that, it holds no water.

Put up or shut up.

benjipwns

Given criticism of perceived academic movements, is kind of tone deaf to use this argument.
  What do you mean?

I find it comical that someone with no experience, knowledge, or credentials in a field can call something pseudoscience. How does anyone in this forum know? Especially Vagina over here.
this is the greatest response

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
I'll apologize for superfluous* jargon the moment English stops grouping spelling under grammar. :snob

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*and misspelled, AAAAAAAAH ... Sigh :stahp
[close]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:33:55 PM by Rufus »

agrajag

It's ironclad, indisputable hard science if it's taught at a univrsity.

Or not.

benjipwns

It's ironclad, indisputable hard science if it's taught at a univrsity.

Or not.
Depends on the findings. :snob

Kara

Orthography isn't a word you use to try and sound smart.

BisMarckie

:goty2

How about post-modern Neo-Marxism?

benjipwns

I see somebody doesn't go toe-to-toe on Bird Law often.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Umm you haven't seen my research.

benjipwns

"Dr. Smith, who had never been in trade, could not be expected to write well upon that subject any more than a lawyer upon physick." - contemporary comment on The Wealth of Nations

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Quote from: Maps of Meaning
“Procedural knowledge, generated in the course of heroic behavior, is not organized and integrated within the group and the individual as a consequence of simple accumulation. Procedure ‘a,’ appropriate in situation one, and procedure ‘b,’ appropriate in situation two, may clash in mutual violent opposition in situation three. Under such circumstances intrapsychic or interpersonal conflict necessarily emerges. When such antagonism arises, moral revaluation becomes necessary. As a consequence of such revaluation, behavioral options are brutally rank-ordered, or, less frequently, entire moral systems are devastated, reorganized and replaced. This organization and reorganization occurs as a consequence of ‘war,’ in its concrete, abstract, intrapsychic, and interpersonal variants. In the most basic case, an individual is rendered subject to an intolerable conflict, as a consequence of the perceived (affective) incompatibility of two or more apprehended outcomes of a given behavioral procedure. In the purely intrapsychic sphere, such conflict often emerges when attainment of what is desired presently necessarily interferes with attainment of what is desired (or avoidance of what is feared) in the future. Permanent satisfactory resolution of such conflict (between temptation and ‘moral purity,’ for example) requires the construction of an abstract moral system, powerful enough to allow what an occurrence signifies for the future to govern reaction to what it signifies now. Even that construction, however, is necessarily incomplete when considered only as an ‘intrapsychic’ phenomena. The individual, once capable of coherently integrating competing motivational demands in the private sphere, nonetheless remains destined for conflict with the other, in the course of the inevitable transformations of personal experience. This means that the person who has come to terms with him- or herself—at least in principle—is still subject to the affective dysregulation inevitably produced by interpersonal interaction. It is also the the case that such subjugation is actually indicative of insufficient ‘intrapsychic’ organization, as many basic ‘needs’ can only be satisfied through the cooperation of others.”

Please explain this bit from the first chapter of Maps of meaning to me. (Yes, the writing is this bad.)

benjipwns

have you tried using an information gain/understanding pro-cess?