Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88439 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #300 on: May 10, 2019, 07:12:42 AM »
LOL, I think I purposefully forgot about that EA PS3 game.  :lol

Oh man, Icons and Game Makers brings me back. G4 was a garbage channel, but it was only garbage cause the good stuff they made had terrible ratings.

Also, too. Bork, where is your avatar from?

One of the reveal trailers for Streets Of Rage 4.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #301 on: May 10, 2019, 08:42:37 AM »
Elevator Action and its sequel, Returns, are some of my favorites.

Ninja Five-O is good too. SE did a sort of Elevator Action "reboot/remake" for ps3 and I remember it sucking.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/elevator-action-deluxe

(Image removed from quote.)

Unfortunately SE owns Taito now and the only Taito property they want anything to do with is Space Invaders so we are shit out of luck. I keep waiting for someone to make a Spelunky take on Elevator Action and no dice.

At least Elevator Action got put out on Arcade Archives.  They need to at least do that with Rastan.  Best soundtrack ever.

Svejk

« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2019, 08:44:16 AM »
Elevator Action and its sequel, Returns, are some of my favorites.

Ninja Five-O is good too. SE did a sort of Elevator Action "reboot/remake" for ps3 and I remember it sucking.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/elevator-action-deluxe

Unfortunately SE owns Taito now and the only Taito property they want anything to do with is Space Invaders so we are shit out of luck. I keep waiting for someone to make a Spelunky take on Elevator Action and no dice.

At least Elevator Action got put out on Arcade Archives.  They need to at least do that with Rastan.  Best soundtrack ever.
YES.  And YES.   I still listen to it's whopping 3-4 tracks to this day; both the Arcade and SMS versions.  Fucking love it!! 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: May 11, 2019, 12:07:02 AM »
ど助平

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #304 on: May 11, 2019, 05:08:00 AM »
Yo Rastan is the SHIT

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #305 on: May 13, 2019, 08:26:23 AM »
I just learned not too long ago that there was a Rastan 3.  More of a beat em up ala Golden Axe than the other games.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #306 on: May 13, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
Retro Gaming today:

fat

Svejk

« Reply #307 on: May 13, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
I just learned not too long ago that there was a Rastan 3.  More of a beat em up ala Golden Axe than the other games.
I tried it out not too long ago when my son was going through a fantasy, sword fighting, beat'em up phase.  Wish I knew about it back then.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: May 13, 2019, 09:51:57 AM »
Speaking of the Raspberry Pi, I put together Retropie #2 with a cool little 'layered' case over the weekend:

The case was $15 and came with a power cable and fan.  Not too shabby and looks really well-ventilated.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:06:42 AM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #309 on: May 13, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
Retro Gaming today:

Original hardware or FPGAs or bust

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: May 13, 2019, 01:18:07 PM »

FPGA...like MISTer?  Gamesack showed that in their latest video, and it didn't seem all that great.  At least, not yet.

ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #311 on: May 13, 2019, 01:47:29 PM »

FPGA...like MISTer?  Gamesack showed that in their latest video, and it didn't seem all that great.  At least, not yet.

Yeah, looks like wayyy too much work for something that's not even close to being 100% accurate emulation. Also I hate how a lot of these diy type projects have to be so user unfriendly and have such a clunky UI.
^_^

Sho Nuff

« Reply #312 on: May 13, 2019, 10:32:29 PM »
Glad Game Sack did that video -- I was wondering how user-friendly/early things were (and it looks like "not very" and "extremely"). Will probably hold off for another year whilst I perfect my RGB Pi collection.

Tasty

« Reply #313 on: May 13, 2019, 11:14:36 PM »

FGPAs like Analogue Nt.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #315 on: June 08, 2019, 03:45:28 AM »
So somehow I missed a ton of the Nintendo DS shit back when it first came out, and after buying a DSi XL on a whim for $23 at 11pm in Kyoto, I'm going to make the statement that the DS is basically PSone.5, I'm not sure.

You've got:
-- Rippin pixel art games
-- Bad 3D so you gotta know what you're doing if you're going down that route
-- "Sure, why not" attitude in regards to publishing whatever fucking weird shit people wanted to make back then

Boritos suggest me obscure DS shit, I know it's out there

Also I've never played Chrono Trigger but I think now is the time

archnemesis

« Reply #316 on: June 08, 2019, 08:40:09 AM »
Chrono Trigger holds up incredibly well and it is never too late to play it.

Here are a few uncommon DS games that I own and enjoy:
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors: the only visual novel that I've appreciated and it has a handful of clever puzzles.
- The Dark Spire: first-person dungeon crawler inspired by classics like Wizardry and The Bard's Tale
- Diamond Trust of London: by Jason Rohrer. Turn-based strategy about extracting diamonds from Africa.
- Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime: The best Dragon Quest spin-off.
- Inazuma Eleven: Fantastic football RPG, if you can look past the shōnen manga story.
- Infinite Space: Great space RPG.
- Korg DS-10 Plus Synthesizer: Fun to play around with for a while.
- Retro Game Challenge: A collection of fake retro games.

paprikastaude

« Reply #317 on: June 08, 2019, 09:31:53 AM »
Ninja Gaiden DS, SMT Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, Contra 4, Hotel Dusk, Dragonball Origins, Ghost Trick, Space Invaders Extreme, Solatorobo, Kirby Mass Attack, Mario & Luigi 3, Rune Factory, a thousand SRPGs if you are into that.

it really is the ps1 spiritual successor and the last great Nintendo library - despite Nintendo's output being subpar, ironically.

Chooky

« Reply #318 on: June 08, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »
metroid prime pinball is pretty cool

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
Gamesack put up another "Left in Japan" video and one game featured was Kyuutenkai: Fantasic Pinball.  Never heard of this before- it's a fantasy-themed pinball game made by Technosoft/Tecno Soft and released in 1995.  They ported Devil's Crush to the Genesis and this appears to be similarly-themed.

The Saturn version sells for ridiculous prices, but the PS1 version is pretty cheap.  Ordered a copy for $24.
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2019, 11:32:00 AM »
Heh yeah I'm about to order a copy based on that video. Game is totally up my alley!
^_^

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2019, 11:34:53 AM »

Contact
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Monster Tale
Aliens: Infestation

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #322 on: June 09, 2019, 11:47:13 AM »
Heh yeah I'm about to order a copy based on that video. Game is totally up my alley!

Worth getting now in case PS1 prices start going up because of that Game Sack video.  :doge
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #323 on: June 09, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »

Contact
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure
Monster Tale
Aliens: Infestation

Contact is a bad game though
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #324 on: June 09, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »
So somehow I missed a ton of the Nintendo DS shit back when it first came out, and after buying a DSi XL on a whim for $23 at 11pm in Kyoto, I'm going to make the statement that the DS is basically PSone.5, I'm not sure.

You've got:
-- Rippin pixel art games
-- Bad 3D so you gotta know what you're doing if you're going down that route
-- "Sure, why not" attitude in regards to publishing whatever fucking weird shit people wanted to make back then

Also I've never played Chrono Trigger but I think now is the time

Depends on what you count as obscure. But since you’re new to the system....

Looking through my DS collection.

Obscure DS games:

- dragonball origins games. There’s two of em and you use the stylus. It’s obscure in the sense that no one would expect anything good out of a dragon ball game and yet here they are with two of the funnest on the system.

- Henry hatsworth like retro suggested

- Bangai-o spirits. MUST PLAY, must play, mUsT PlaYYYyyhy

- Illustlogic. Jp import and some of the best Picross ever.

- Korg DS-10

- Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

- Ghost Trick

- the entire Ouendan series including Elite Beat Agents

- rocket slime and sequels

- meteos. Back when this came out it was about Meteos on DS vs Lumines on psp during the handheld wars. Great, inventive puzzle game.

- gta Chinatown Wars

- Dementium. Horror on your DS. Fantastic.

- Moon. From the same folks who made Dementium. Sci fi horror.

- ninja Gaiden ds

- retro game challenge line of games. Some are jp exclusive.

- Electroplankton

- megaman zx 1 and 2

One rule of DS suggestions is if someone suggests Hotel Dusk, don’t listen to them. It’s shit.

Also Nintendo DS is probably my third favorite system and my overall favorite Nintendo system. It didn’t look good but boy it had bangers.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:10:46 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #325 on: June 09, 2019, 01:17:31 PM »
Eh. Forgot about Okamiden, a sequel to Okami.

Oh, and you can't miss Trauma Center. Again, not sure how "obscure" this is to you.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:25:10 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #326 on: June 09, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »
DS games I'd check out:

Blue Dragon Plus - The actual sequel to Blue Dragon. Now in SRPG format
Blue Dragon Awakened Shadow - Not actually a sequel, now in ARPG format
Castlevanias - Duh
Chrono Trigger - Duh
Contact - Cool Earthbound-y vibes
Dragon Quests - Duh
Etrian Odysseys - If only for the Yuzo music
Final Fantasy Revenant Wings - The actual sequel to FF12, now in SRPG format
Ghost Trick - Good puzzle solving from PHoenix Wright guys
Fire Emblems - Fire Emblem
Kirby games - Kirby
Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals - A reimagining of Lufia 2, just not as good. Now in ARPG format
Lunar Knights - A kinda-sequel to Boktai, without needing to go outside
Mario & Luigi games - If you can't be fucked ot play the watered down 3DS versions
Phoenix Wright - If you can't be fucked to play it on any otherplatform
Pokemon - Pokemon games
Picross DS - Picross rules and gets you pussy
Polarium - Also cool puzzler
Professor Layton - You'll look up the answers anyway
Retro Game Challenge - Uh hello - also the translated sequel
SMT Strange Journey - If you can't be fucked to play the 3DS version
Mario 64 - REally good port
Tetris DS - Tetris
Legend of Zelda - Can't go wrong
World Ends With You - If you can't be fucked to play the Switch version
Trauma Center - Its like weeb operation
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Valkyrie Profile, now in SRPG format
fat

Himu

« Reply #327 on: June 09, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »
Problem with some ds game suggestions is that many of the more iconic ones like Ace Attorney, or the more under the radar ones like Radiant Historia and SMT Strange Journey have been ported to other systems by now.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #328 on: June 09, 2019, 01:46:13 PM »
But he's on DS so we are listing DS games
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #329 on: June 10, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
Holy shit guys

Seriously thank you for the lists, there is a TON of stuff that registered on my radar back in the day but I didn't pick up, since I was living in Japan and the prices of import DS games were hella jacked. Like, I just clean forgot about a ton of this stuff or never knew it existed (THERE IS A FUCKING BANGAIO GAME ON DS!?) I'm gonna be busy for a loooong time.

Fun fact: I'm the voice of Rocket Slime in the English versions. Took the bullet train down to Kyoto and recorded in a meeting room somewhere.

Chooky

« Reply #330 on: June 10, 2019, 05:23:28 PM »
Fun fact: I'm the voice of Rocket Slime in the English versions.

WHAT?!?!?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #331 on: June 10, 2019, 06:11:08 PM »
Fun fact: I'm the voice of Rocket Slime in the English versions.

WHAT?!?!?

I was working at Square back in the day. Used to do a ton of pickup recording; I think I'm in Unlimited Saga somewhere, and I'm the ring announcer in All-Star Pro Wrestling II. Also wrote and performed a pitch-bended rap for Yosumin. I might have sung a commercial spot for something in Front Mission, but it was way out of my range and I don't think auto-tune could have saved it. Ahhh good times.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #332 on: June 10, 2019, 06:27:56 PM »
tbh I wasn't that into the Bangai-O on the DS... it felt more like a puzzle game with a level editor, instead of a more arcadey action game. Couldn't get into it the way I did the N64 and DC versions.

Also another DS game I hardly ever hear mentioned is Avalon Code. I call it the "Volleyball RPG", since you juggle enemies higher and higher during battle to do more damage to them. It's by Matrix Software (the Alundra, FF DS remakes devs) and has a system where you alter the properties of enemies/items/etc by rearranging their "DNA". Not the best game and the interface leaves a lot to be desired, but it's unique enough that it's worth trying.

Covenant of the Plume is a must play SRPG, for fans of the VP series. Very dark storyline with a cool gimmick, wherein you sacrifice your troops to gain more powerful abilities, with multiple routes through the game dependent on how many you sacrifice.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #333 on: June 10, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »
Disagree. Bangai-o spirits is very arcade-y. It’s got dozens and dozens of levels to play and solve. It’s like Wario ware meets Bangai-o. Imo it’s probably the best DS game. It’s incredible.

Another hidden gem is Away: Shuffle Dungeon. It’s from Mistwalker and has an interesting gimmick.

Although not on par with the original Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance 2 is nothing short of legit and a great strategy game.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 06:37:15 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #334 on: June 10, 2019, 06:41:54 PM »
More hidden gems you have to dig deeper. Like imports. Things like Saga 2 remake, Soma Bringer, 7th Dragon, Knights in the Nightmare (which I have yet to get to myself but I read good things).
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2019, 08:51:36 AM »
The Trials of Mana ROM was ripped from the Collection, it's a fully working SNES ROM that works on emulators and real hardware.
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #337 on: June 17, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »
This is really cool, but...$250, man.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #338 on: June 17, 2019, 08:57:43 PM »
This is really cool, but...$250, man.

Yeah.  Hardware modification is also needed for it work on a Nomad and you need a 32X for 32X games.  Won't work on clone systems or emulation-based systems like the Mega SG, either.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Shuri

« Reply #340 on: June 19, 2019, 09:28:13 AM »
Ordered one.

I also received my Triple Bypass modded model 2 genesis and it’s fucking amazing. The audio is fuckawesome now and the visual  improvements are legit.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #341 on: June 19, 2019, 04:09:02 PM »
Gamesack put up another "Left in Japan" video and one game featured was Kyuutenkai: Fantasic Pinball.  Never heard of this before- it's a fantasy-themed pinball game made by Technosoft/Tecno Soft and released in 1995.  They ported Devil's Crush to the Genesis and this appears to be similarly-themed.

The Saturn version sells for ridiculous prices, but the PS1 version is pretty cheap.  Ordered a copy for $24.

Never got the copy I bought on eBay.  Ordered another copy I found from a German seller for $30-something and that just arrived- disc in good shape and manual pretty good as described.  Case is fucked up- it looks like this came in one of the older PS1-specfic "fat" cases and somebody cut up the inserts in the front and back to fit in a regular jewel case.  They even glued the spine to the side of the back part.  Yuck.  :yuck 

Going to keep this copy though because I can't find any others for sale- or rather, there are other ones listed, but I noticed something kinda fucked-up.  All of them are using the same photo despite being from different sellers.   :lol   Amazon and Buyee also had the same photo up for listings from different sellers. 

If you check these sellers, they're all selling the same stuff for varying prices and the seller ratings have started to fall over the last 12 months.  Somebody is having some fun pretending to be different storefronts all over the place.  Sounds exhausting.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 04:19:21 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: June 19, 2019, 05:34:02 PM »
Ripped the game.  It doesn't work on PS1 emulators.
:neogaf

You just get a black screen after selecting memory card options.  Gonna try it on the PS Classic after I do the hacking thang.  Guess if that doesn't work I'll have a reason to hook up the PS2 again.
ど助平

Sho Nuff

« Reply #343 on: June 23, 2019, 01:35:41 PM »
I've been stuck in retro mode for the last month and the latency has fucking RUINED modern shit for me.

I turned on my PS4 last night to try Sonic Mania and the delay between when I press a button and when something happens on the screen made me furious. Check it out, I'm now officially a cranky old man (goes back to Castlevania on DS with its 7ms latency)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #344 on: June 23, 2019, 03:50:51 PM »
nothing beats an original
fat

Tasty

« Reply #345 on: June 24, 2019, 01:46:16 PM »
nothing beats an original

bork/Pi-ers annihilated :nintendo

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #346 on: June 24, 2019, 02:58:20 PM »
If you guys are talking about that pinball game...I didn't try it on the Pie when I made that post.   :P  Used some Windows emus.  Had no idea that a handful of PS1 games don't work right.

Raspberry Pi 4 just got released
:phil
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #347 on: June 24, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »
Did you try Mednafen (or Beetle-PSX, as it's known in Retroarch)?

Sho Nuff

« Reply #348 on: June 25, 2019, 12:46:57 AM »
Hey you holier-than-thou ding-dongs, I don't care if you play it on a Pi or the original hardware or your mom's butthole, all that matters is that you're playing old games because old games are better and don't try to fuck you

I just beat Portrait of Ruin and now I'm doing my first playthrough of Chrono Trigger, cool guy comin thru

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #349 on: June 25, 2019, 01:17:02 AM »
wow you're on your way to be the next hot retro youtuber. can't wait for your review.
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #350 on: June 25, 2019, 02:30:45 AM »
Hi everyone I'm sho nuff, I'm old and live in a big house full of CRTs because they fill the hole of my missing wife and children, dont forget to like and subscribe, now let's talk about Saturn games

Occam

« Reply #351 on: June 25, 2019, 08:06:24 AM »
I've been stuck in retro mode for the last month and the latency has fucking RUINED modern shit for me.

I turned on my PS4 last night to try Sonic Mania and the delay between when I press a button and when something happens on the screen made me furious. Check it out, I'm now officially a cranky old man (goes back to Castlevania on DS with its 7ms latency)

I too hate input lag. Haven't played Sonic Mania, but are you sure it's not caused by your TV? Does it have a game mode and are you using it? I recently switched hdmi inputs on my TV, forgot to turn on game mode before starting to play Ritual of the Night and was really disappointed by the lag; then I realized game mode was off and the game was actually fine.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:19:48 AM by Occam »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #352 on: June 25, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
Hi everyone I'm sho nuff, I'm old and live in a big house full of CRTs because they fill the hole of my missing wife and children, dont forget to like and subscribe, now let's talk about Saturn games

Pix of your setup?
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #353 on: June 25, 2019, 11:21:43 AM »

Pix of your setup?

If pledge $5 or more to his patreon, you can get access to a POV walk-through of his collection.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: June 25, 2019, 11:41:55 AM »
Did you try Mednafen (or Beetle-PSX, as it's known in Retroarch)?

Nah, does that tend to work better?

ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: June 25, 2019, 11:46:00 AM »

Pix of your setup?

ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #356 on: June 25, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »
Nah, does that tend to work better?
Extremely accurate emulation. If it can't run it, I don't know what would.

Sho Nuff

« Reply #357 on: June 25, 2019, 03:09:54 PM »

I'm moving some things around so I brought all my stuff to work. The left Philips is a HDTV CRT which weighs far too much (that's my coworker's, mostly for Bemani games). Commodore monitor I'd be happy to give to anyone local in Seattle; we made a custom Svideo cable for it. The Sony is a BVM capable of 1080i and is the single greatest television I have ever seen in my life and it's my main display. Panasonic PVM is big, bright, and beautiful. Sony at the bottom is one of the last CRT monitors they did and is god-tier but I might have to give this to someone as it weighs waaaaaaaaaaay too much and takes up too much space.

Also in that picture: Virtua Fighter 3 arcade board and Apple //e

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #358 on: June 25, 2019, 03:51:32 PM »
Wow that was my favorite scene in Steins;Gate
fat

Sho Nuff

« Reply #359 on: June 25, 2019, 07:31:27 PM »
I'm moving to Japan in 3 months so if anyone in Seattle wants any of this shit PM me