Author Topic: Retro Thread for old gamers  (Read 88456 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Retro Thread for old gamers
« Reply #660 on: June 16, 2020, 05:15:03 AM »
Been playing the original Phantasy Star on the switch. The Sega Ages one has an option to speed up the walk speed and has a map system. Don't have to get out the graph paper for this one.

They also have an Ages mode where the experience gain and money gain is upped, so you don't spend hours grinding. Getting close to the end of the game.

Svejk

« Reply #661 on: June 18, 2020, 09:01:34 AM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #662 on: June 18, 2020, 09:18:13 AM »
So the TL;DR version of that video is fanboy ranting.  He says they released "filler" games while showing Sonic 2:doge 

I would like to see official M2-ported versions of more arcade games past the 16-bit era, but licensing does get in the way with some of them and there's always emulators if not.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #663 on: June 18, 2020, 09:23:54 AM »
So the TL;DR version of that video is fanboy ranting.  He says they released "filler" games while showing Sonic 2:doge 

I would like to see official M2-ported versions of more arcade games past the 16-bit era, but licensing does get in the way with some of them and there's always emulators if not.
It is ranting, but I agree with him.  I don't understand why Sega just doesn't give a shit about at least porting things to most available systems.  Like Phantasy Star 1 Remake (Sega Ages).  Why is this only on the Switch?... A system geared for young children that don't give 2 shits about Phantasy Star (or even know what it is)?  Why is it not on PS4, PC and even Android?  Simply doesn't compute for me.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #664 on: June 18, 2020, 09:35:55 AM »
It is ranting, but I agree with him.  I don't understand why Sega just doesn't give a shit about at least porting things to most available systems. 

Oh, that's a different thing.  Yeah, I don't get that either.  You'd think they'd release these games on every platform under the sun, but they did the same thing with their 3DS releases too.

Like Phantasy Star 1 Remake (Sega Ages).  Why is this only on the Switch?... A system geared for young children that don't give 2 shits about Phantasy Star (or even know what it is)?  Why is it not on PS4, PC and even Android?  Simply doesn't compute for me.

The Switch isn't geared for young children, lol.  It's for all ages.  And in Japan, where these games are being made and released first, it is now the most popular (console) platform out there.  And that's great and all...but it still doesn't explain the lack of multiplatform releases.

But hey, this is another reason for you to GIVE IN and get a Switch.  :P
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:40:22 AM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #665 on: June 18, 2020, 09:43:44 AM »
But hey, this is another reason for you to GIVE IN and get a Switch.  :P

Not at the prices they're still going for.  They're more than half the price of what a PS5 will be. :smug  ;)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:betty
[close]

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #666 on: June 18, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »
 :killme
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #667 on: June 18, 2020, 11:21:39 AM »
Why bother with Sega Ages when there's this patch instead

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #668 on: June 18, 2020, 12:14:13 PM »
SEGA making bad business decisions is entirely on brand for them.

They had like 2 or 3 good Genesis/MegaDrive years and were always lagging behind or were outgunned outside of that.
Sega fans should respect the mediocrity as that is what the brand stands for.  :lol
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #669 on: June 18, 2020, 12:54:19 PM »
SEGA making bad business decisions is entirely on brand for them.

They had like 2 or 3 good Genesis/MegaDrive years and were always lagging behind or were outgunned outside of that.
Sega fans should respect the mediocrity as that is what the brand stands for.  :lol

ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #670 on: June 18, 2020, 01:01:11 PM »
Why bother with Sega Ages when there's this patch instead

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/
I did get that patch, and it's pretty awesome... but I like teh update grafixes and watching the hind quarters of Alise swinging that sword.   :ohyeah

Now I'm learning about Generation 2.. Why did I not know this existed?! And why is it not ported to anything decent either?!?  :snoop

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #671 on: June 18, 2020, 02:01:57 PM »

SLX has some other cool videos, I love when he does Master System deep dives.
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #672 on: June 18, 2020, 06:55:12 PM »
Ultracore, the "lost" Genesis run n' gun action game from the 90s, is finally getting a digital release.  Previously it was only released as a physical limited production run title from Strictly Limited Games and playable on the Analog Mega SG.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #673 on: June 18, 2020, 08:50:42 PM »
Those floating blue chips remind me of Strider 2 and Forgotten Worlds.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #674 on: June 19, 2020, 08:40:15 AM »
Namco has trotted out yet another couple of Namco Museum releases for $19.99 each on PSN.  I'm asusmin gthey are out on other systems as well.

Volume 1

Galaxian, Pac-Man, Xevious, Mappy, Dig Dug, The Tower of Druaga, Sky Kid, Dragon Buster, Dragon Spirit: The New Legend, Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti, and Pac-Man Championship Edition

Volume 2

Galaga, Battle City, Pac-Land, Dig Dug II, Super Xevious, Mappy-Land, Legacy of the Wizard, Rolling Thunder, Dragon Buster II, Mendel Palace, and Gaplus

There are regular and 8-bit "demastered" versions for Gaplus and Pac Man CE.

If these were all on one for $20 and it included the arcade version of Splatterhouse, I might bite.  $40 for 20 retro games that have already been released dozens of times (including some on PS4) is way too much IMO.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #675 on: June 19, 2020, 09:14:35 AM »
I think they're all Famicom versions and not arcade.   
 :donot

They also announced volumes 3 and 4 already.
ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #676 on: June 19, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
I think they're all Famicom versions and not arcade.   
 :donot

They also announced volumes 3 and 4 already.

Holy shit, you're right.  $40 for 20 NES ROMs, WTF???  Most of those were ok for the time, but they have not aged well and are not very good versions of the arcade games.  Another shit cash grab from Namco.

:paul

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #677 on: June 20, 2020, 05:52:24 PM »
Yoinked this lot off CraigsList for $20

G-Darius alone goes for ~50 the rest is just fodder
fat

BisMarckie

« Reply #678 on: June 20, 2020, 06:05:43 PM »
That controller is the epitome of shitty 2nd controllers you hand to your friends. :aah

Shuri

« Reply #679 on: June 21, 2020, 01:26:31 PM »
Picked up Street Fighter 30th Anniversary on ps4, it's a pretty neat compilation, online is fun when you get people with a nice connection. I suck at Street Fighter Alpha, wow.

I'm also way too used to playing SF2 on IL Eurosticks, it feels strange to play SF2 with my rap4 ps4 stick. It's just so lite!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Tasty

« Reply #681 on: July 08, 2020, 07:08:24 PM »
https://kotaku.com/the-designer-of-the-nes-dishes-the-dirt-on-nintendos-ea-1844296906

Some amazing nuggets in here.

Kotaku: How did the Famicom project come about?

Uemura: It started with a phone call in 1981. President Yamauchi told me to make a video game system, one that could play games on cartridges. He always liked to call me after he’d had a few drinks, so I didn’t think much of it. I just said, “Sure thing, boss,” and hung up. It wasn’t until the next morning when he came up to me, sober, and said, “That thing we talked about—you’re on it?” that it hit me: He was serious.

:dead To be fair this is the dude that bought a baseball team then never went to a single game.

Kotaku: How did you analyze rivals’ game consoles?

Uemura: I had a semiconductor manufacturer dissolve the plastic covering on the chips to expose the wiring underneath. I took pictures, blew them up, and looked at the circuitry to understand it. I had some experience with arcade games, and right away I knew that none of what I was looking at would be any help in designing a new home system. They simply didn’t have expressive enough graphics. They had a monopoly on patents for them, circuit structures and features such as scrolling. And they were simply old-fashioned. That’s why I couldn’t use anything from them.

Man to be around during the early pre-NES wild west day of consumer electronics and Nintendo... This is some Pirates of Silicon Valley cowboy shit, love it.

I guess more will be in the interviewers' book Pure Invention: How Japan’s Pop Culture Conquered the World later this year.

Tasty

« Reply #682 on: July 08, 2020, 08:09:39 PM »
Uemura: The colors [of the Famicom] were based on a scarf Yamauchi liked. True story.

:lol Still a classy aesthetic to this day, and oddly not very "toy-like" by modern standards (IMO.)

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #683 on: July 20, 2020, 12:57:15 PM »
Any recommendations for TurboGrafx/PC Engine CD games other than RPGs?

Also WTF is up with the PC Engine CD version of Golden Axe.  Like it starts out great with the cutscenes with excellent music.  But the game itself looks like a Commodore 64 conversion.

Svejk

« Reply #684 on: July 20, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »

Also WTF is up with the PC Engine CD version of Golden Axe.  Like it starts out great with the cutscenes with excellent music.  But the game itself looks like a Commodore 64 conversion.
One of my personal favs on TG16, was Bloody Wolf.  At the time, it made me think of a mash up of Metal Gear and Contra.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #685 on: July 20, 2020, 04:28:51 PM »

One of my personal favs on TG16, was Bloody Wolf.  At the time, it made me think of a mash up of Metal Gear and Contra.

Yup, I like Bloody Wolf a lot.  Great soundtrack.  It's a card game though.

I did find Last Alert, which is in the same vein with a cheestastic English dub for the cutscenes.

The TGCD version of Madden is surprisingly good if you're into the 16 bit American football games.

There's also (not surprisingly) a lot of great shooters on the CD.  Forgotten Worlds and Side Arms along withe the Thunder games being my favorites so far.

The conversion of Strider is really good and adds in new cutscenes.

Svejk

« Reply #686 on: July 20, 2020, 04:32:45 PM »

I did find Last Alert, which is in the same vein with a cheestastic English dub for the cutscenes.

The TGCD version of Madden is surprisingly good if you're into the 16 bit American football games.

There's also (not surprisingly) a lot of great shooters on the CD.  Forgotten Worlds and Side Arms along withe the Thunder games being my favorites so far.

Nice, I never knew Forgotten Worlds was on there.  Loved the Genesis one.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #687 on: July 20, 2020, 04:50:29 PM »
Never played it, but Double Dragon 2 on PCE-CD is supposed to be an updated version of the NES version with added cutscenes and better visuals.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 07:23:56 AM by bork »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #688 on: July 20, 2020, 05:17:16 PM »
I recently modded up my mini PlayStation with AutoBleem, which is stupid simple to setup.

You only really need two things:

1- A usb stick. I picked this 128GB but you could go higher or lower. 128 is more than enough for me.

https://amzn.to/30yqL3Z

2- An OTG cable, so you can plug it into the back port of the mini PlayStation along with power (this lets you use the USB port/stick to its full potential, the front ports are limited, and it frees up a controller spot).

https://amzn.to/3hlhOlq

From there all you basically do is drag and drop AutoBleem to the stick, then plug it into the front port, install AutoBleem's kernel (allows OTG and other stuff), then you can set up the USB (format it as NTFS etc) to use the OTG cable and just drag and drop your games.

The only real negative/drawback is being stuck with the original PS1 pad, but if you want to take the extra steps to use analog/other controllers you can.
fat

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #689 on: July 21, 2020, 07:10:43 AM »
I recently modded up my mini PlayStation with AutoBleem, which is stupid simple to setup.

1- A usb stick. I picked this 128GB but you could go higher or lower. 128 is more than enough for me.

2- An OTG cable, so you can plug it into the back port of the mini PlayStation along with power (this lets you use the USB port/stick to its full potential, the front ports are limited, and it frees up a controller spot).

From there all you basically do is drag and drop AutoBleem to the stick, then plug it into the front port, install AutoBleem's kernel (allows OTG and other stuff), then you can set up the USB (format it as NTFS etc) to use the OTG cable and just drag and drop your games.

The only real negative/drawback is being stuck with the original PS1 pad, but if you want to take the extra steps to use analog/other controllers you can.

The PS Classic is my go-to right now for retro gaming.  Really easy to add more games and the hi-res option makes some of the PS games look really good.  You can also put on RetroArch and add more systems.  That's how I'm going through the Turbo/PC Engine Cd games now.  Just FYI I've found that SanDisk thumbdrives work way better than other brands, I'm not sure why.  Also Arcade Punks has a lot of cool front-ends and/or instructions on how to tweak it. 

Nice, I never knew Forgotten Worlds was on there.  Loved the Genesis one.

The Genesis version is one of my favorite games ever.  It's pretty much why I bought a Genesis at launch, because I saw a picture of it in a EGM preview.  But the TGCD version is technically much better.  It has all of the levels from the arcade, better graphics (especially the bosses) plus all of the voice overs and an excellent remixed music score.

Never played it, but Double Rragon 2 on PCE-CD is supposed to be an updated version of the NES version with added cutscenes and better visuals.

Played it yesterday.  it's really good!  Also Riot Zone is a solid beat em up with an awesome cock rock soundtrack that features an early version of Axel from Streets of Rage.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #690 on: July 21, 2020, 09:32:13 AM »

For shooters, there's Cotton, Terraforming, and Metamor Jupiter. The first 2 actually got a US release. There's also the Valis titles, Fausette Armor for action/platforming.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #691 on: August 22, 2020, 08:13:56 AM »

Impressive that it runs all those games  :ohhh
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #692 on: August 22, 2020, 10:53:12 AM »
Will definitely be keeping my eye on that.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #693 on: August 23, 2020, 12:08:56 AM »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #694 on: September 06, 2020, 09:03:55 AM »
thinking about selling my mega drive stuff. This is what I have in terms of games (all PAL):

Sonic & Knuckles
Battletoads
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (rev 2, but cart only)
Ecco the Dolphin
World of Illusion
ZOOL
Lemmings
Jurassic Park
Crack Down
Sonic the Hedgehog (box only, this is what Sonic 3 came in)
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (broken)

To make it worth owning I either need to get more games for it or start with collecting the rare 32x / CD stuff but I can't bothered.
I started collecting Mega Drive things arout 2012(?) I think and back then mostly wanted it to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles and a few other titles.
Figured I would pick up some cheap games to round out the collection but most is trash, unless you have nostalgic feelings for it.
(which I had for Power Rangers I used to play with the SEGA kid next door and that being a broken cartridge really soured me too)
🤴

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #695 on: September 09, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
but most is trash, unless you have nostalgic feelings for it.

:beli

Anyway, you're probably not going to get much for those.  They're very common, especially the Sonic games.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #696 on: September 22, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »

Just wanted to say big bless up to you for posting this, it convinced me to jump aboard the ps classic emu train and it’s pretty dope.  Were my mouth not too small I’d suck your monster dong in thanks.  Alas...

Now I just need to figure out how much of my ps1 library I want to rip onto it, and what I’ll do for the games I want but don’t already own.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #697 on: September 22, 2020, 09:14:46 PM »
Good job. Time to swim in pussy with your new PlayStation
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #698 on: September 22, 2020, 11:57:39 PM »
Blinx is only on Xbox :bolo

Svejk

« Reply #699 on: October 15, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »

“The pack includes, but it not limited to, some of the features detailed below. Many of these features are carryover from prior hacks that have previously been developed for Zelda.  Items denoted with an asterisk are brand new features that have been created exclusively for the Mesen pack.

•   Increased resolution**
•   Increased frame count for running**
•   Updated sound effects and music**
•   New title and game select screen**
•   Animated environments**
•   Save manually with Up+A when in the items subscreen
•   Re-localization of the game script
•   Increased bomb max
•   Increased bomb upgrade amount
•   Faster text printing
•   Change the Red and Blue rings to Red and Blue tunics
•   Breakable tile hints
•   Press the “Select” button to toggle the item assigned to the “B” button
•   Faster health refills
•   Partial heart pieces in HUD”
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=31559.0

:aweshum

Beezy

Himu

« Reply #701 on: October 16, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #702 on: October 16, 2020, 12:34:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1317118116678094860

My Duo laser is on the fritz so this will be super useful... if the preorders aren't a clusterfuck like the Analogue Pocket...
^_^

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #703 on: October 16, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »
https://twitter.com/analogue/status/1317118116678094860

Definitely wanna get one of these. $200 is a pretty decent price, too, considering that a genuine PC Engine Duo starts at about $300.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #704 on: November 09, 2020, 08:46:49 AM »
ど助平

Shuri

« Reply #705 on: November 09, 2020, 02:59:04 PM »
it was just a matter of time for DC version, people have been converting atomiswave stuff to the sega naomi for the past two years.

Tasty

« Reply #706 on: November 20, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »
SEGA VR REVIVED: EMULATING AN UNRELEASED GENESIS ACCESSORY

Amazing story and technical deep dive!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #707 on: November 24, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »
Another day, another overpriced mini console.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/11/capcoms_releasing_a_mini-arcade_system_packed_with_mega_man_and_street_fighter_games

Dubbed the Retro Station, this tabletop unit has an 8-inch screen and weighs 2.1 kg. It comes with the following titles:

Mega Man The Power Battle
Mega Man 2 The Power Fighters
Mega Man X
Mega Man Soccer
Mega Man & Bass (Japanese Console Version)
Street Fighter II
Street Fighter II’ Champion Edition
Super Street Fighter II
Super Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

The unit has been listed for sale on Amazon Japan, and while the page doesn't currently have pricing information, according to Siliconera, it previously said 21,780 yen – which is around $210. It is also reported that Gantaku, the company that handled the production of the thematically-similar Neo Geo Mini production, is the firm behind this particular unit.

:mindblown
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #708 on: November 24, 2020, 12:37:39 PM »
$210

:dead
dog

Tuckers Law

« Reply #709 on: November 24, 2020, 06:59:00 PM »
Finally the release of Mega Man Soccer I've been hoping for.

Tasty

« Reply #710 on: December 09, 2020, 12:24:29 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #711 on: December 15, 2020, 06:01:20 PM »
SuperRT – Realtime Raytracing on the SNES

I always thought there was so much untapped potential in cartridge CPUs such as SuperFX. This is pushing it way further than I ever thought possible though!

Tuckers Law

« Reply #712 on: December 15, 2020, 07:03:30 PM »
That’s crazy.  :o

Tasty

« Reply #713 on: December 15, 2020, 07:42:46 PM »
Yeah it's pretty insane the solution to "it's a few years after launch, how do we impress players again?" was "just strap a second CPU to every goddamn copy of the game, dawg."

That one aspect of cartridge-based media basically makes the system technically have no upper processing limit (though you're probably dealing with sync and bandwidth issues.) But of course few would pay $200 or more for a single game... I'm curious on the original MSRPs of SuperFX games. Did Nintendo keep a consistent price point, or did they pass on the cost of the extra hardware onto the consumer?

Tuckers Law

« Reply #714 on: December 15, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
I want to say I recall most all of those games with extra chips in the carts being more expensive.  I think both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy III were $80-90 MSRP, maybe it was just third parties and Nintendo ate the cost on their games like DKC and Stunt Race FX.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #715 on: December 15, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »
I definitely paid $80 for FFIII back in the day and remember the initial version of SFII going for $75. :doge
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #716 on: December 15, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »
MegaWiFi - WiFi enabled cartridge for the 16-bit SEGA Genesis/MegaDrive console

Currently only an open source schematic with no working implementation... yet.

A GameBoy version of this has been my top homebrew scene dream for 5+ years. I'm really excited the concept is out there and people are working on it. :D Maybe a GB version isn't too far behind.

Tasty

« Reply #717 on: December 15, 2020, 09:41:52 PM »
Super Tilt Bro. - Real time online gaming with the NES

NES version of the previous post, with actual working hardware! Crazy! E- Still seems to be software-only, but you can still actually play this one!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:13:05 PM by Tasty »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #718 on: December 15, 2020, 11:28:45 PM »
SuperRT – Realtime Raytracing on the SNES

I always thought there was so much untapped potential in cartridge CPUs such as SuperFX. This is pushing it way further than I ever thought possible though!

Reminds me of old-school CG demos.
dog

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #719 on: December 16, 2020, 07:33:12 AM »
I definitely paid $80 for FFIII back in the day and remember the initial version of SFII going for $75. :doge

This ad shows new SNES games being $70 - while the console itself costs $90.  Nuts.

Same with Genesis.  The higher memory cartridges and those with add-on chips were definitely more expensive.  Virtua Racing was $100.  Most games were more expensive back then.  I paid $65 for a lot of early Genesis titles like Revenge of Shinobi and Golden Axe.