Author Topic: Learning Music OT  (Read 31153 times)

Tasty

Learning Music OT
« on: January 01, 2019, 02:12:33 PM »
Edit- New title! Thread is now about discussing anything to do with music theory or learning an instrument (regardless of skill level .) :) Conversations about classical music and its history may also randomly pop up.

2019 marks the thirteenth year since I became seriously interested in learning how to play the piano. In fact sometimes it seems like I never STFU about it, so I'm gonna keep it to this thread now.

The dream will be deferred no longer.

I'll be posting my progress at least weekly ITT over the next year, and intend to make a new version each year. I'm committed to developing this skill for the remainder of my lifetime.

I have some goals of increasing difficulty that I'm working towards, but I'm making my regimen extremely malleable so I can find what really works for me. Because of that I'm trying not to post specifics, other than that I intend to practice daily. That's the most consistent advice, I've found -- be consistent.

Here's the resources I'm using:
  • Benedict Westenra's highly-rated and popular courses on Udemy. I scored them at a holiday discount and am about 9% of the way through the first one, Beginning Piano. He's an excellent teacher so far and I'm excited to continue on to the other courses.

• Flowkey is like a web version of the popular Guitar Hero-esqe Synthesia, but IMO more suited to professional use. Features I appreciate: notes go from right to left like on sheet music, instead of up and down; the sheet music is displayed and highlighted in real-time as you play; each song has a tutorial mode (sometimes several for different levels of difficulty) that uses your laptop mic to confirm your key press before it moves along; and the tutorial mode supports both left and right hands separately. It also has some actual lessons that are easy to follow as well.

• The ebook Music Theory for Dummies by Michael Pilhofer and Holly Day was highly rated on Amazon, and has been an essential resource for me thus far in learning core musical concepts and sheet music. I'm about 28% of the way through it right now.
I started learning for real on December 10th. My progress so far:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

I fully believe involving friends or rivals in the practice or exercise of anything is extremely beneficial, so I'm hoping there's others here who will be posting progress too. :) Let's get musical.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:17:21 PM by Tasty Meat »

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
Re: Learning (or continuing to learn) an instrument in 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 02:14:23 PM »
You have nice hands.

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 02:19:23 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 02:40:30 PM »
Good luck :rimshot
🤴

Himu

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:11:39 PM »
I’d like to learn piano eventually. My passion is guitar though. I want a classical guitar this year after learning basics of electric and learn Spanish guitar music.
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 04:03:29 PM »
Oh yeah, this is something I've needed to get back on for a while.
Hi

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:13:15 PM »
Last year I spent most of it getting a set of recital pieces ready. I don't know what I want to do this year.
que

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 04:38:33 PM »

Just play the Ryan Adams version.

Himu

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 05:00:04 PM »
How hard is piano?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:02:22 PM »
I’m also surprised how the music knowledge came back to me after not using it for over a dozen years when I got my electric last year.

I forgot how much I had missed playing music. My goal is to get into a band or something eventually. Music is more fun with other people. I’m still a band nerd at heart it appears.

I thought I’d lost all of my music knowledge but apparently playing music every day for 6-8 years doesn’t go away over night. Very reassuring.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »
i hate the sound that most modern guitar virtuosos go for.  too compressed, too precise, too autistic.

randy and slash were sloppy as and it only added to their pantie wetting pelvis splitting appeal.

shred chads rise up.

Himu

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 05:37:43 PM »
What modern guitar virtuosos?

You’re talking electric?
IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »
As much as I love music, at 27 I think the ship has sailed for me to learn piano or guitar.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
You can always learn, so long as you take the time to practice. If you can't, though, then don't bother.

Himu

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »
^
IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »
If I can type on a computer keyboard playing piano is probably super easy

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 07:46:50 PM »
As much as I love music, at 27 I think the ship has sailed for me to learn piano or guitar.

I'm 27 and starting from scratch.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 07:58:42 PM »
What song do you want me to provide vocals for?

Himu

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 08:01:10 PM »
What are notes and scales like on piano? On guitar I learned my notes first and it went something like this.

E through G then A through D.

Every note has a sharp except E, A, and B and B has a flat.

Once you remember it starts with E, goes alphabetical, and then starts with A, it's easy to keep in your head:

E - F - F# - G - G# - A - B - Bb - C - C# - D - D#

What is piano like? It seems like a super intimidating instrument.
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 08:09:12 PM »
Every key is a halfstep. The white keys are the regular notes, the blacks are the sharps and flats. Harder to memorize scales because you can't rely on translating the gap between your finger. Of course, it's impossible to play the wrong note.
每天生气

Snoopycat_

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 08:50:44 PM »
This nice lady has some really good piano tutorials. I learned the Star Wars theme tune and decided that was all I really needed to know.

https://www.youtube.com/user/theonlinepianotutor/featured

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 08:54:59 PM »
What song do you want me to provide vocals for?

Ordinary Day - Vanessa Carlton

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2019, 08:59:38 PM »

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 01:41:22 AM »
Daily Status: 2019-01-01

- Completed Section #1 of Beginner Piano on Udemy by finishing Lectures #9-13. There's twelve Sections overall, with eighty-nine Lectures in total.
- Due to the above I can now play "Imagine" by John Lennon at full speed for two minutes with both hands. :) (Sorry TVC!)
- Didn't read much of Music Theory for Dummies today but I have a semi-road trip tomorrow that would be the perfect situation for reading.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:45:26 AM by Tasty Meat »

agrajag

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 04:17:58 AM »
Every key is a halfstep. The white keys are the regular notes, the blacks are the sharps and flats. Harder to memorize scales because you can't rely on translating the gap between your finger. Of course, it's impossible to play the wrong note.

Breh, all white keys are a Cmaj scale. "iT hArD tO lEaRn ScAlEs"  ::)

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »
There's this joke that I can only play Wonderwall, but I'm pretty decently legit at guitar. In 2019 my goal is to become a real master.
"real master"

:foodcourt

Some of the best professional guitarists I know barely consider themselves masters. If at all.
que

Himu

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2019, 01:45:21 PM »
Yeah I'm surprised at Glen. Usually when you do an art or hobby the better you get the more you realize you still have a long way to go and that your skill will never actually be satiated. Even when you're good at it. Doesn't matter if it's music, martial arts, sports, fighting games, or drawing. I'm sorry Glen, but because you think you'll become a real master it truly shows how far you have left to go.  :'(
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 04:02:16 PM »
Breh, all white keys are a Cmaj scale. "iT hArD tO lEaRn ScAlEs"  ::)
I meant all the ones besides Cmaj and Amin! :bolo

spoiler (click to show/hide)
AGRAJAAAAAAAAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[close]
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 04:05:15 PM »
just don't learn any songs that aren't in Cmaj, problem solved

shosta

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 04:10:45 PM »
Like musical modes in medieval times :ohhh
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 05:11:21 PM »
Hmmph. Took Shosta off ignore because of this thread.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 05:17:59 PM »
Thanks, babe!
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2019, 06:09:14 PM »
lol I know MAYBE 6-8 virtuosos on the guitar. The rest just gotta
que

agrajag

« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2019, 06:31:56 PM »
self-proclaimed virtuosos

:neogaf

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2019, 06:38:36 PM »
que

agrajag

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2019, 06:47:49 PM »
uh Glen I can do all that, and I hardly consider myself one millionth of a virtuoso. Once you learn every scale and every mode in every position all over the fretboard, you realize that it's just scratching the surface of the iceberg. Like congrats, you just learned the alphabet. That's like the bare minimum base for a classically trained musician. (I'm not classically trained, just self taught schumck like most everyone that's not puppy, and I took jazz guitar lessons for a few months years ago).

Anyway, in the spirit of positivity, I wish you luck on your musical journey (you will probably respond by telling me to choke on some horse semen or something). I'm sure you are a decent player and have capacity for greatness in you. I myself have made great strides in the past year in terms of theory knowledge and technique, hoping to keep the same energy in 2019.

agrajag

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »
I have never heard Glen play and thus do not feel comfortable granting him higher accolades. We don't even know what skill level his Wonderwall cover is at.

Himu

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2019, 07:13:53 PM »
This is going to be a nitpick but as a black guitarist it pisses me that almost all the guitarists (which are mostly white) they only really consider guitar music to be rock and blues. Maybe country depending on the guitarist. Meanwhile they don’t touch stuff like disco or funk or r&b and when you talk about playing funk they’re just like,”to play funk all you need to do is play 1 and 4 position on a strat” when anyone who knows funk knows barely (it any) funk guitarists played strat. They worship and concentrate sooooo much on their blues and rock that most don’t know jack shit about the aforementioned genres and black guitarists are a dime in a dozen. So when they talk about guitar they really usually just mean one or two genres.

Basically, it pisses me off that in guitar circles no one knows Jimmy Nolen and it can be a lonely experience if you’re interested in more than blues or rock. I’ve had to resort to listening to my funk records and trying to copy them rather than try to find an actual teacher to help me with the funk.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
No, I didn't say I am a great sight reader, but that wasn't in your post that I quoted. That's a whole different skillset that I am not proficient in, and truthfully have no interest, as I have no desire to do any kind of gigs in a professional capacity. Too old for that and too late in the game. If you think you'll be able to do that in a year's time, more power to you.

My focus is to improve my improvisational skill. If I can comfortably improvise over Coltraine changes in my lifetime, I will feel accomplished.

And my post was plenty positive, asswipe.

agrajag

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »
You ain't shit until you're playing gypsy jazz Django Reinhardt pieces in your sleep, tbh

I jerk off to Joscho Stephan videos, son.

Himu

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2019, 07:20:37 PM »
Also it pisses me off how they romanticize Jimi as just a bluesman and never look to the r&b he played on the Chitlin Cirquit (speaking of chitlins, my dad made some yesterday and grossssss). As if r&b isn’t worthy of playing but for some reason blues is when Jimi mastered both.

It also pisses me off that Jimi is considered “white music” still 50 years after the fact and not a single black station can play some Hendrix still. I heard this location black station play Cream - CREAM - and yet still hasn’t played Hendrix.

Basically the guitar music world annoys me for many reasons and talking about guitar with other guitarists is an aggravating experience.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2019, 07:21:56 PM »
basically, everything pisses you off. You and Jack should get married.

Himu

« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2019, 07:25:30 PM »
Agrajag stays on ignore. I haven’t read a single thing what he said but and Stro keep posting and I see constant “this user is on ignore” posts. I bet they’re all shit. Please do us all a favor and die already - both of you.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2019, 07:28:07 PM »
"I haven't read a thing he said"

Sure, Jan.

shosta

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2019, 07:40:37 PM »
Leave this loser on ignore. None of these posts are worth reading!
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 07:42:56 PM »
Back to it. Last year I spent some time getting a few pieces from Tedesco's Platero y Yo ready for performance. I got the guitar parts down and hoping I could then do the narration myself. But first few attempts it's seeming like something that I can't really do. The guitar takes too much focus to give the narration the attention it requires. I'd like to think about getting a narrator to do it with me. But in its entirety it's a massive piece both on guitar and narration parts. It's too much for me to ask for someone to do with me. It's because of these challenges that make it hard to find a good set of recordings. I was introduced to the piece by my Grandteacher (My teacher's teacher) who did a wonderful performance with the head of the drama department of the university he taught at, and I fell in love with it. I guess performing the piece will have to stay a dream. (Here's a sample of some of the pieces I worked on)

For me, this year I'm eyeing these pieces as the main pieces of the year. One is somewhat modern and I find I have to explain it to people for them to thoroughly enjoy it. The other is readily palatable, not anything groundbreaking, but fun and easy to enjoy

I've got the manuscripts and I've been looking at them, and realistically I don't really have the time to do both or other serious pieces (though I always keep about 6-8 pieces in rotation at any time). Having a hard time selecting which one. The Rodrigo piece will take me about 2 months before it starts to sound like something. The Guiliani piece already sounds like something but to take it at the tempo I want it'll take months. Certainly the Guiliani piece would be easier for the wife/kids as even slow it's nice. But that Rodrigo piece. :checkit
que

agrajag

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 07:44:48 PM »
mad respect ronito, classical guitar is something I'd never be able to do in a million years

Himu

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2019, 07:45:51 PM »
Puppy any tips for classical guitar? It’s my goal to get one this year and learn some classical.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2019, 08:22:19 PM »
Puppy any tips for classical guitar? It’s my goal to get one this year and learn some classical.
4 things and they're contradictory, but that's what it is

:trumps

1) Skip the serious guitar school books like Parkening, Sagregas, Schearer or heaven forbid, what I learned from the Pujol Guitar school (hundreds of pages across multi-volume crap that would put the most boring person to sleep). If you already know your away around, don't waste the time. My friend Scott wrote an excellent book that covers methodology well enough without getting too serious
https://www.amazon.com/Pumping-Nylon-Classical-Guitarists-Technique/dp/1470631385

In essence: Don't get caught up in technique and it doesn't have to be a slog to learn. Also keep in mind that there's no one way to classical guitar proficiency.

2) While I'm telling you to not get too serious about the method, you have to be serious about what you intend to play. You can't get into a piece without planning. This is classical music, you can't "wing it". For example, here's a pic of my first day at a bach fugue (notice, I only did one page, I didn't touch the second page until my planning for the first page was done).

And that's day 1. By the time it's "Performance ready" It's much much worse. Also, keep in mind you gotta start SLOW. A piece when I start it sounds like nothing. I usually start playing at about at 5th or slower speed and then work up.  Don't go into a piece thinking you can just play it.

3) Start small. Everyone wants to get to Bach and Albeniz and the cool stuff. Cool your heels. Find some easy pieces you like and get those 100% right before moving to other stuff

4) I just said there's no one way to guitar proficiency, BUT if you can do these sets of studies/etudes a performance grade you're ready for almost anything. My professor insisted I be able to do all these before I could move to a non-etude piece. It was a painful 18 month slog, but after I could do all these I was ready for anything. They're listed in the order I'd approach it in.  Now I wouldn't suggest you go full bear like my teacher and not play anything else til these are done. But I'd suggest always have a few of these in your practicing.

Guliani's 120 Arpeggios

Brouwer's 12 simple Etude's

Sor's 24 Etudes (The Segovian Selections)

Villa-Lobo's 12 Etudes

que

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »
I’ll do the narration for you.
Combine your crazy schedule with mine? Dude, we'll be ready in 2022. LOL.
que

agrajag

« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
I'm gonna try to work on learning some Wolfhart studies. A guitar player I really admire recommended those.

Himu

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2019, 09:05:49 PM »
Thanks Puppy. I have learned a few arpeggios. I can get started on this on my tele right?
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2019, 09:23:03 PM »
in the new year Agrajag is going to tune out all the negativity. When Jack goes low, I am going high!

So, Tasty, in this giving spirit, I will recommend you one of my favorite Youtubers. You may not necessarily learn much from her videos, as they're not really instructional in nature, but as a lover of piano/music I think you will enjoy it a lot.

Himu

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2019, 09:44:01 PM »
Puppy, does learning classical guitar also help with proficiency in other genres? Like for instance, Jazz? Or even metal?
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2019, 09:53:27 PM »
Wow, this thread kinda exploded. Glad to see so much interest. :)

I'm trying to gear my brain as much as possible for the long haul (30+ years), though I'm setting achievable goals for the next year (and some rough ideas for the next five years.) Keeping up with it consistently is going to be extremely difficult.

Mostly, I just want to express myself through music, and play covers of my favorite songs. I'm not really that musical by nature and composition isn't in my blood, but I'm hoping once I get a solid backing in music theory it'll become more science than pure art -- and thus I'll be able to wrap my head around creating melodies and eventually songs.

But in any case I'm not expecting to compose much until a few years down the line at least. In addition to the odd modern song cover I learn, I also intend to get a grip on the classics. If anyone has some good intro classical pieces my ears are open. :D

agrajag

« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2019, 10:01:26 PM »
Yeah Tasty, it's best to set smaller, achievable goals for yourself and just keep it moving.

Myself, hopefully if the cash flow allows it, I want to buy some new equipment this year. I am looking at Solar guitars, which is a newer brand that is high quality, but very affordable. Additionally a new laptop and a good interface, maybe a cheap mixer and some software, so I could start recording some stuff. The software has a learning curve in itself, and I will need to start learning how to program drum loops. Bass I pretty much can play, but that's another investment. In addition, I am going to be extremely busy with work in the second half of the year, so we'll see. Baby steps.

Himu

« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »
I know it can be a slog, but I highly suggest not getting too carried away with yourself too fast too soon, Tasty. Keep it small. The most fundamental parts of music learning are things that are actually the most boring such as scales. "I'm not that musical by nature and composition isn't in my blood." You're just learning the basics and you're too early in the game to be worrying about that. Worry about mastering your scales till they're tip top shape and working on execution. :) Have fun with it.

I'm not familiar with piano as I haven't learned to play it but some pretty famous classical piano songs that are commonly embraced by teachers in my experience are things like:

These are common beginner piano songs that you hear any beginner pianist learning.

These are all songs that are ingrained in the societal culture footprint so you should know how they go as a 27 year old, which will only help learning them faster.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2019, 10:31:35 PM »
Also, I have no idea if piano has uhhhh like finger numbers or something. For trombone, when I first learned it in 6th grade, we often learned by position. Say, position 4, or position 7. So position 1 is F on trombone. Rather than knowing notes I'd know the positions. In the end, this limits your ability as a player and when I would compete and get training from my private teacher, it would make things harder to learn. When learning saxophone and later, guitar, I avoided learning by lazy short hands. On sax it's pretty damn hard to do, but on guitar it's popular to use tabs or say "1st string or 5th string" rather than know the exact note. Learn your notes and if it uses a short hand thing that allows some finger chart or whatever, give it the finger and throw it in the trash because it is trash. Learn the notes and learn to read your music. Don't bother with any "easy" fingering. It's always a waste of time and a detriment any long-term music ability.

My opinion of course.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2019, 10:38:52 PM »
Good vids Queen, will add them to my WL list.

My early goals are really simple and mostly involve just sticking with and completing (as in, playing as the teacher intends) my five Udemy courses and finishing some ebooks. As a bonus / for fun I go on Flowkey to practice covers I'm interested in.

In a month or two I intend to get a real IRL teacher who will be able to guide my through that phase of my learning better, but for now I'm content with learning non-interactively and memorizing some recognizable pop songs to somewhat-impress family (even if it's babby level and half speed, haha.)

No, I didn't say I am a great sight reader, but that wasn't in your post that I quoted. That's a whole different skillset that I am not proficient in, and truthfully have no interest, as I have no desire to do any kind of gigs in a professional capacity. Too old for that and too late in the game. If you think you'll be able to do that in a year's time, more power to you.

I will say, the prospect of being able to easily read and understand sheet music is 20-35% of my motivation for learning piano. Usually with something I don't understand, I can wrap my brain around it, but even since I was a kid sheet music through my soft, rhythmless mind for a loop.

The Music Theory for Dummies book has been super-helpful at getting the basics across and I'm pretty happy with how my sight reading is developing (barely nonexistent for now, but has a promising future.)

agrajag

« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2019, 10:43:25 PM »
I learned to sight read a long time ago, but didn't keep practicing it, so it's a chore now. Scratch that, it was always a chore for me, my guitar teacher would only write things out in standard notation, and it always felt like boring homework to me. I would end up cheating and memorize the lines, so he would think I am reading the music, but I would be playing it by memory or by ear. He was probably very frustrated with me.

Knowing how to read is incredibly helpful if you are trying to learn piano pieces, so keep doing your thing man.