Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5  (Read 82877 times)

Himu

Re: Soulsborne games thread
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2019, 08:08:28 PM »
You said not particularly good, while also saying it’s not bad, which puts it between - average. Bloodborne’s combat, average? Nah.
IYKYK

Bebpo

Taken as a whole, BB is surely a great game, and the best FROM title yet, but even then, i roll my eyes at people saying it "ruined gaming for them" or similar bullshit.

I found it so eye rolling when the friends i referenced above suddenly felt emboldened to speak on game mechanics and the validity of entire genres (all other rpg's are shit now) 'cause they'd played a couple souls games. Er, try playing some other action rpgs that aren't the witcher 3 or skyrim. But they'll happily zone out in dumb fuck shlooters  ::) I'm over it now but The Witcher 3 vs. Soulsborne debates were the dumbest shit.

Yeah, I mean Bloodborne didn't make other games hard to play or anything. It was just a really good Souls-Lovecraft-fest, which is right up my alley.

Himu

« Reply #242 on: May 06, 2019, 10:23:33 PM »
Vicar Amelia is a shit boss fight. Feel like I'm fighting the camera more than her. Covering up her entire ass with fur that covers the screen wasn't a good idea, From. You assholes.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #243 on: May 06, 2019, 10:54:20 PM »
Idk, I love that fight. Re-watched a run of it last night after you said you got to it.
Those screamsssss.

She’s tough because she hits hard and large radius and doesn’t take a lot of damage unless you’re hitting the weak spot to stagger her often.

But yeah, she big so she covers the camera a lot and makes it harder to read her.

Himu

« Reply #244 on: May 06, 2019, 11:12:21 PM »
I learned that she's best fought in mid range. She's easy to dodge and has such good reach that taking her from the back in pointless. It also makes it hard to get the visceral attack on her. With a paper fire and staying out of her range I kicked her ass. Frightening design though.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Ill grab some screens today Borys, I'm in Blighttown now.
Blighttown. Jesus, that was the first time I ragequit the game.

Bebpo

Ill grab some screens today Borys, I'm in Blighttown now.
Blighttown. Jesus, that was the first time I ragequit the game.

I think that was the first time the ps3 ragequit the game too with that framerate.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #247 on: May 07, 2019, 04:14:59 AM »
Killed that bitch witch on 3rd try, not too hard

Framerate is solid in Blighttown on Switch (handheld)

Still frustrating area with falls, poison, water, darkness, toxin  :-X

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #248 on: May 07, 2019, 05:54:26 AM »
You said not particularly good, while also saying it’s not bad, which puts it between - average. Bloodborne’s combat, average? Nah.
It's above average, just not particularly so.
We can spend our time better than to argue about semantics, but the gist of it is, i don't think it's an element of the game that elevates it above the rest of the landscape, let alone genre.
In other words, if it wasn't for the amazing art direction and world design, it wouldn't be the combat to make it one of the best games around.

On the other hand you take something like Ninja Gaiden, or even Bayonetta, and even with their questionable art direction (i mean, i kind like Bayonetta's, but that's another story) their combat is enough to carry them.

The one really peculiar mechanic in BB is the health regain, in my opinion, though most of the time is not worth it to expose yourself, given the small regain, compared to the massive damage taken.
The parry system with guns (which i find more confusing than a regular parry system tbh).
The weapon trick system is basically a stance system (which again, it's cool, but incredibly simple compared to action games with actual move sets), everything else is Souls, sped-up and simplified.

The one thing i really like compared to Souls, is the nerfed back stab, because i'm playing DkS1, and it's almost impossible to justify the use of anything but.

What set Souls game apart, especially Demon's and Dark 1, was the slow, deliberate animations (that you couldn't cancel out of), the brutal management of stamina, the extensive use of shields (that pushed for an even slower approach) and the limited moveset per weapon, interacting with the claustrophobic level design (i.e.: If you were in a tight sewer, a thrust weapon was preferred to one with swipe attacks, and you couldn't have every type of attack with every weapon) - these things were almost all nerfed (if not outright nullified) in their subsequent games, to turn them into more classic action games, where you use a dodge's i-frames to avoid any attack, but they carried with them that inherent simplicity (or designed shallowness) past Souls games had in terms of raw combat system, with a limited move-set, limited defensive options, but designed in tandem with the many builds you could usually do (though in BB they are restricted and feel more same-y).

Again, i never argued BB is anything less than a great game, and never said its combat is in any way "bad", it's satisfying and looks cool, which is more than you can ask out of most ARPGs, but i just don't think it goes anywhere beyond that.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also fuck, fuck, fuck playing an "action game" at 30fps with that level of input lag.  :doge
[close]

Finally, while Sekiro shares some problems with the lack of depth and variety in my opinion, it's such a different beast, that i'm not even gonna address it here. I do think it's got a lot of potential though, i think the posture system is their best combat design idea since Dark 1, and would love to see it worked on, in a sequel.

El Babua

« Reply #249 on: May 07, 2019, 07:25:52 AM »
I agree that the mechanics in all of the Souls/Blood/Sekiro games aren't really that deep. But it's the level design and atmosphere that puts these games over the top IMO.

I would say both Bloodborne and Demon's Souls are the best games FROM has made during their run. Dark Souls 1 fell off a crater after the first half, DS2 is DS2. DS3 is really good, but literally only had one, maybe two moments where I said "wow"

Sekiro is really good too. Enjoying all the ninja and stealth shit, and I'm liking the level design as well. The world itself is very well realized, but I think they could have halved the frequency of rest idols. Haven't beat it yet so no final judgement.

But yeah, both Demon's Souls and Bloodborne realized in their vision, or at least didn't feel compromised like the Dark Souls games for one reason or another.

Himu

« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2019, 04:38:13 PM »
Hemwick Witch
[close]
easy as shit but fun af.

Made it to Forbidden Woods after getting home from work.  According to IGN walkthrough that makes me halfway through the game? :tocry
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:48:55 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2019, 06:08:19 PM »
From beginning to end, Forbidden Woods might just be the best FROM level ever :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #252 on: May 07, 2019, 07:20:44 PM »
I like that part, yeah. Nice and creepy.

Himu

« Reply #253 on: May 07, 2019, 10:05:57 PM »
I managed to not die once in the Forbidden Woods so far besides the initial trap at the beginning. That trap was a massive lesson.

It is incredible.

There was a lonnnnnnng path to the shortcut door and some how my caution and trepidation set off by the initial trap forced me to play my absolute best. When I encountered a snake monster, I was carrying 54k blood. I didn't want to take any chances. I used a thunder paper, went into beast mode which i normally save for bosses, and threw a molotov. I killed the fucker in seconds.

I've formed a covenant and now I'm home free with 55k blood in my pocket.

I've played the entirety of tonight's session in the dark while it's raining and storming outside. I havne't played a horror rpg this good, EVER. A+ shit. Bloodborne might crack my top 10 or 20 if it keeps this up. I like it THAT MUCH.

Forbidden Woods design is nothing short of incredible.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 10:14:29 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #254 on: May 07, 2019, 10:25:55 PM »
Also I've tried other weapons for the first time in the game. I tried threaded cane and it's really cool! It's like one of those gundam whips. Or one of those whips Ivy uses in Soul Calibur. I'm interested in buying other weapons and just experimenting with them now that I'm carrying this much cash.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #255 on: May 07, 2019, 11:03:34 PM »
*throws self to the wolves*

This game, man.

GODLIKE.

edit: found a Hunter's Nightmare.

Apparently missed some popular character called Eileen.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 12:06:10 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #256 on: May 08, 2019, 12:31:13 AM »
AXE :rejoice
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #257 on: May 08, 2019, 01:06:30 AM »
Hunter's Nightmare info (not really spoilers but I'll be careful)

It's the DLC area. I'd recommend saving it until the endgame unless you're really gud
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #258 on: May 08, 2019, 01:25:10 AM »
Hmmmmmm, well DLC is better as a endgame challenge but if you leave it for endgame you might be overleveled for it.

I still think saving Hunter’s Nightmare aka the expansion for NG+ is a good option, it’s final boss is harder than the main game final boss because it came after and it’s the final challenge. Might make the main game stuff feel a step down going back. You can get back there pretty quick.

For 2ndary weapons I liked the big slow but powerful hammer. Got me through some mid-game enemies but saw was still best for bosses.

And yeah part of why BB rocks is the horror rpg genre is incredibly sparse with stuff like Shadow Hearts and Planescape, Corpse Party (haven’t played the latter two). BB fills a much needed spot for horror fans.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #259 on: May 08, 2019, 06:06:33 AM »
Went past Anal Rondo in DkS1, O&S being a cake walk (everything but Skeleton Wheel was, tbh), lol back in the day they felt so impossible.

Was doing the painted world, but after the 4th "stuck at bon-fire" bug (only option it to alt+F4) i got pissed off and just uninstalled both that and DkS3.
Should spend my time in better ways than to replay old Souls games for the nth time, anyway.

I'll just say though, DkS1 is piss easy by comparison, but also incredibly janky, Cindi you'll have a rough time going from BB to it.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #260 on: May 08, 2019, 07:32:16 AM »
What is the connection between a bonfire bug in DS1 and you uninstalling DS3? I am missing it.
None, just used it as an excuse to uninstall it, because as long as i have it there, i'll keep checking in, and i have other games i should be finishing instead.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #261 on: May 08, 2019, 10:33:13 AM »
Why won't u post here B? :(

I want a Zelda Souls spin off instead of sci fi, but Ilæ take somw Event Horizon take too.

Himu

« Reply #262 on: May 08, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Holy fuck. Took a path in Forbidden Woods to the nurses clinic o_o
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #263 on: May 09, 2019, 06:45:04 AM »
Shadows of Yharnam easy as shit.

Fantastic fight tho
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 07:00:08 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #264 on: May 09, 2019, 12:40:33 PM »
Nice job, but I don't like that fight. Multiple enemies in souls games/sekiro is just like lots of running.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #265 on: May 09, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
Nice job, but I don't like that fight. Multiple enemies in souls games/sekiro is just like lots of running.
That combat system doesn't handle crowds well, and is mostly good for 1 on 1 fights, however that are crowd fights that are at least satisfying to chew through (Deacons from DkS3, for example).
SoY is a similar deal, though slightly more intense.

Himu

« Reply #266 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:09 PM »
I thought that fight was fine as well as its camera. I learned quickly in the first attempt not to lock on to anyone.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:54 AM »
Bloodborne continues its march towards my top 20. Took out Paarl (easy), did my first chalice dungeon.

I agree with Borys. Some find the Diablo formula to be crack but I am finding this to be as addictive and even more so. It has everything I like about RPGs.

Very close to ordering the Dark Souls trilogy. I really want to replay Bloodborne before doing DkS1. Unlike Sekiro where I have zero desire to replay it I could see myself replay Bloodborne 5-6 times this year. It’s that kind for me and it’s been enough to make me not play a single fighting game since I got it.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2019, 01:15:05 AM »
I might platinum this. Will be my first plat since Uncharted 2.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2019, 01:30:07 AM »
Bloodborne continues its march towards my top 20. Took out Paarl (easy), did my first chalice dungeon.

I agree with Borys. Some find the Diablo formula to be crack but I am finding this to be as addictive and even more so. It has everything I like about RPGs.

Very close to ordering the Dark Souls trilogy. I really want to replay Bloodborne before doing DkS1. Unlike Sekiro where I have zero desire to replay it I could see myself replay Bloodborne 5-6 times this year. It’s that kind for me and it’s been enough to make me not play a single fighting game since I got it.

I pretty much 100%'d Bloodborne but I didn't touch the Chalice dungeons. Like I tried them for an hour or two and realized this was just a little randomly generated rogue dungeon rpg mini-game that's completely separate from the well crafted fully complete main campaign & dlc. It's cute and the only thing that makes it worth playing the chalice dungeons maybe are there are a couple original bosses they in there as super bosses but to get to them you have to grind tons of boring as shit randomly generated stuff. You can tell it was a test bed idea but it's not really fleshed out and not very good imo.

I'd recommend not bothering with chalice dungeons until you're done with the game and then you can play them until you get bored/sick of them. I don't even count them in my view of the game, it's a bonus extra mode.

Himu

« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2019, 01:36:34 AM »
I pretty much 100%'d Bloodborne but I didn't touch the Chalice dungeons. Like I tried them for an hour or two and realized this was just a little randomly generated rogue dungeon rpg mini-game that's completely separate from the well crafted fully complete main campaign & dlc.

Uhhhh yeah, that’s why I like it. It’s like Amala Labyrinth in SMT3. If anything, I hope the chalice dungeons get more hardcore. The formula fits well with Rogue-esque gameplay. If anything this enhances it. If only you had to do chalices in one go. That’d be amazing.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:49 AM »
Hey more power to you if you like it.

I just prefer the masterly crafted level design and pacing & story of the main game, so Bloodborne as a rogue wasn’t really for me.

Bebpo

« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2019, 02:24:33 AM »
Just like don’t get burnt out on the side distraction of the Chalice dungeons. You’re just about at the point where BB’s story/atmosphere gets interesting. Well more interesting.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2019, 02:42:21 AM »

Good luck :teehee

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2019, 05:46:20 AM »
@Cindi

I think Souls games scratch that Diablo 1 itch where its you going deeper and deeper into hell and surviving, being catious, sometimes rewarded with loot.

Himu

« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »
I beat Rom this morning. Idk what else to do besides do Nightmare Frontier?

TBH that white hunter was harder than all the previous bosses since Amalia put together.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:49:46 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2019, 02:56:18 PM »

BB is not that hard to platinum.
It's the only platinum i have outside of Spiderman (and i did neither intentionally).
Chalice Fire Doggo is the only real hurdle, i'd say, once you finish the game.

Himu

« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2019, 07:30:17 PM »
I beat a fire hound already. Was that it?
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #278 on: May 10, 2019, 08:44:23 PM »
Did you have half health? If not, no.
Though the boss itself is the same.

Himu

« Reply #279 on: May 10, 2019, 09:00:11 PM »
Yahar’gul so tough :o

Did you have half health? If not, no.
Though the boss itself is the same.

Oooooo that sounds dope
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #280 on: May 10, 2019, 10:42:23 PM »
Yahar'gul da GAWD

This is what I'm TALKING ABOUT. It gets better and the better the more you traverse. That's what I'm talking about! Hardcore dungeon crawl shit.

*licks teeth*
IYKYK

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #281 on: May 10, 2019, 11:09:25 PM »
yahar gul is terrifying. The second you kill Rom the game just stays at peak horror for the rest of the experience.
每天生气

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #282 on: May 11, 2019, 01:09:51 AM »
I wandered into somw area with ghosts that I cant kill, I shouldn't be here.

I also did some soul grinding trick in Darkroot Basin, got like 20 levels in 2 hours  8)

Himu

« Reply #283 on: May 11, 2019, 02:03:27 AM »
putting the story of this game together is something else. I have my ideas but i have no idea if they're valid.
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #284 on: May 11, 2019, 02:09:59 AM »
The "community" has tried but I personally doubt that their consensus is even right. The same thing goes for a lot of Dark Souls stuff, but Bloodborne really takes the cake for cryptic storytelling. It's both maddening and perfectly fine that it's inscrutable.

There's a whole cottage industry for nerding out about item descriptions. It's fun for some people, and a total waste of time for bork.
每天生气

Bebpo

« Reply #285 on: May 11, 2019, 02:26:49 AM »
Nah, I think The Pale Blood thing is pretty spot on. Like I'm not 100% sure about The Old Hunters stuff but I think they nailed the main game like 99% accurate of what the plot is. Shosta if you haven't read that whole thing, go back a page and sit down for a night and read through that from start to finish. So good.

I feel like Bloodborne has the most clear and fleshed out plot of any of the souls games, one of the reasons I enjoy it the most. Dark Souls 1 is probably 2nd for that.

Himu

« Reply #286 on: May 11, 2019, 02:27:23 AM »
I'm amazed how much has changed, for the better. Back in the day I was REALLY huge on dungeon crawlers with "light" yet heavily thematic stories like the Shin Megami Tensei series. People on gaf back in 2005 and on would debate with me saying,"SMT Nocturne has no story" which infuriated me because these FInal Fantasy knob slobbers assumed a game had no story unless it threw it in your face with endless cutscenes. Games like that which had limited cutscenes, and told their stories mostly through visual design, npc interaction, lore, themes, symbolism, ideas were considered "lacking story".

Fast forward ten years later.

People slobber all over a game franchise that does just this. Even those same gaffers from a long time ago.

Thank God people fucking evolved.

For the record, in my opinion, this very Japanese style minimalist storytelling you see in classic SMT games and other dungeon crawlers, Souls games, stuff like ICO/SoTC, Silent Hill 2;etc. is imo, how games are best presenting stories unique to the game medium because they're so highly visual and rely on interaction with the world to understand them and see their fruit.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #287 on: May 11, 2019, 02:28:55 AM »
Yeah I agree that subtle is better. Sure beats all those jrpgs where there are 10 minute talks repeating the same story points over and over again (cough*cough*Tales)

Himu

« Reply #288 on: May 11, 2019, 02:32:45 AM »
Yeah I agree that subtle is better. Sure beats all those jrpgs where there are 10 minute talks repeating the same story points over and over again (cough*cough*Tales)

*cough* neo persona *cough*
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #289 on: May 11, 2019, 03:23:27 AM »
There is some great vids on the bloodborne story

People piecing this stuff together are geniuses

shosta

« Reply #290 on: May 11, 2019, 03:36:05 AM »
Nah, I think The Pale Blood thing is pretty spot on. Like I'm not 100% sure about The Old Hunters stuff but I think they nailed the main game like 99% accurate of what the plot is. Shosta if you haven't read that whole thing, go back a page and sit down for a night and read through that from start to finish. So good.

I feel like Bloodborne has the most clear and fleshed out plot of any of the souls games, one of the reasons I enjoy it the most. Dark Souls 1 is probably 2nd for that.
Ok I started reading this and
Bloodborne, like Demon’s Souls before it, doesn’t have the answers to be solved within the game itself. There’s no dialogue or item description which can provide the player with that crucial piece of information that explains everything. There’s no brilliant detective who can explain it for someone in a condensed manner. Bloodborne is a book where half of the words can’t be understood, and the reader must fill in the blanks on their own.

When I first wrote The Paleblood Hunt, I wrote that there was a singular truth we could discover. Seven months later, having read so many different interpretations and discussion on the game’s story, having discussed the plot with so many
different people, I can only now see how absurd that the idea of a singular story had been. There is no answer to Bloodborne’s story. Bloodborne is a game that asks you what YOU think. It asks you what YOUR story is.
This is what I said! Lol
每天生气

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #291 on: May 11, 2019, 04:10:51 AM »

BB is not that hard to platinum.
It's the only platinum i have outside of Spiderman (and i did neither intentionally).
Chalice Fire Doggo is the only real hurdle, i'd say, once you finish the game.

I'm not saying it's hard per se, but if you're going in blind  and don't use guides, some trophies aren't exactly straightforward to get.

Like the "true ending" one.
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #292 on: May 11, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
DS3:  Did some backtracking before heading into the Undead Settlement.  Went back and beat that ice crystal lizard thing… easy peazy.   After getting Yoel of Londor, I did that hollow trick to level up 4-5 times quickly.  Now my character looks like shit. lol  …which reminded me of what I hated about DS2 the most.  Man, that was so disappointing.   Thankfully I can get those shards to change back my appearance for cheap in this game.   That could’ve been a deal breaker.  I don’t want to play looking like a zombie.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:11:08 PM by Svejk »

Svejk

« Reply #293 on: May 13, 2019, 09:27:02 AM »
Undead Settlement is WAY bigger than what I expected.  So many branching paths.  This game is fucking great.  I think things are starting to click some. 

Svejk

« Reply #294 on: May 13, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
DS3 is quite big. No spoilers but IMO The Cathedral of the Deep is the best location in the entire game. And there is one moment later on a... revelation of sorts that is the single best "whoa whoa what the...?!?" moment in Soulsborne games since opening up that shortcut to Firelink Shrine in DS1.

Do you have the DLC Svejk? It has some of the hardest Soulsborne bosses outside Sekiro.  Hardest within DeS/ DS1/ DS2/ DS3/ BB for sure.
I don't, no... But if I can get through this game, I'll certainly consider getting it. 

shosta

« Reply #295 on: May 13, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
Nope.
每天生气

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #296 on: May 13, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
Maybe.

Bebpo

« Reply #297 on: May 13, 2019, 04:43:54 PM »
Sekiro has bosses harder than Blackflame Frieda?

Depends.

Sekiro requires a very different set of skills than DS/BB.
You can be good at one & bad at the other (like me).

So for me, yeah way harder bosses than Frieda,
But for others it might be much easier.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #298 on: May 14, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
Sekiro has bosses harder than Blackflame Frieda?

i def spent more time on midir, and for some reason kept getting destroyed by SKGs phase 3

friede just clicked with me. skg and friede are my favourite bosses in the series.
◕‿◕

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #299 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:45 PM »
you can summon slave knight gael for the second and third phase. if you can kill the the ariandel phase without him taking too much damage, he's helpful for drawing aggro from friede.
◕‿◕