Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5  (Read 82921 times)

Svejk

Re: Soulsborne games thread
« Reply #480 on: November 04, 2019, 02:03:26 PM »
Got past the chain gun tower hunter and the one running around in Old Yarnham.  It's kinda crappy that the chaingun bullets don't effect the enemies at all.  Kinda lame.  But eventually got up that tower and knocked his ass off.   And man... the Blood-starved Beast and his fucking poisoning.  WTF  Sometimes it seemed to only deplete my HP slowly, but then sometimes it seemed to drop much faster... I don't get it.  Anywho, finally killed that mf'er last night.  Parrying regular enemies is a breeze now.  Having a much easier time than trying to parry in DS3...  But I couldn't pull off even one on the Blood-starved Beast..  Can you even parry that thing?  Guess it doesn't matter.  Good riddance to that thing.

Bout have to take a break from BB though to jump on DS this next weekend.  Will look forward to getting back to this afterwards. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #481 on: November 04, 2019, 02:51:46 PM »

limmy is love limmy is life

so is bb btw
What

Himu

« Reply #482 on: November 22, 2019, 02:01:51 PM »
Buying Dark Souls trilogy to play after Shenmue III. Starting with 1.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #483 on: November 22, 2019, 04:02:30 PM »
I only got to the 2nd primal bonfire of DS2 before getting too annoyed with looking like a zombie 90% of the time.

Himu

« Reply #484 on: November 24, 2019, 12:49:28 AM »
Man the combat in DS1 feels weird after Bb
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 01:39:42 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #485 on: November 24, 2019, 01:04:29 AM »
Made a warrior with master key.

Heading for the gargoyle

Edit: well this isn't as fun as BB lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:14:22 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #486 on: November 24, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »
Imo dark souls is harder than bb but maybe i just gotta readjust
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:18:10 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Freyj

« Reply #487 on: November 24, 2019, 01:10:17 PM »
Skip DS2.

:noooo

It starts awkward but there’s enough backloaded good in DS2 to power through it as long as you give yourself enough Adaptability stat to make dodge roll not shit.

Himu

« Reply #488 on: November 24, 2019, 05:18:42 PM »
Beat gargoyle.

Had to use solaire. Not sure if that's normal or not. I beat all of bb without summoning. So I feel ashamed.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #489 on: November 24, 2019, 05:21:46 PM »
Don't be, the AI is there to help for a reason.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #490 on: November 24, 2019, 10:59:08 PM »
Beat gargoyle.

Had to use solaire. Not sure if that's normal or not. I beat all of bb without summoning. So I feel ashamed.

It's normal, at least for me. I'd be waiting to do the restore-to-human thing just so I could clown that damned gargoyle, and Solaire makes a fantastic distraction while you wail on Gargoyle's tail.

Bebpo

« Reply #491 on: November 27, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »
Skip DS2.

Boo this man.

DS2 is flawed but still pretty good. Has a more interesting story/lore/world building than 3 or Sekiro imo.

Himu

« Reply #492 on: November 28, 2019, 03:32:04 AM »
Beat Capra. 10 hours in.

Dissected myself a way to use the limited space to not ever get hit upon opening the fog gate. Immediately lock on, then walk forward, then move back. For whatever reason it caused capra to miss his first attack opening. It works as a flinch. I bait, then go back, he misses. Dog is now in my space. One, two. Swipe! Kill dog instsntly. Run up stairs, second dog follows. It's easy at that point.

Loving the world building. Love the world building in these games so much. The clerics are leaving.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #493 on: November 28, 2019, 01:55:24 PM »
Went to the depths, held my own against the sack dudes with the giant cleavers. Easy prey. Beat a giant rat, and got its key it dropped. Then fell down a hole and was killed by basilisk's curse. What an adventure. I love how these games create a sense of tension when going into any new area. Soulsborne games are fantastic at enhancing the atmosphere of a great dungeon crawler (for which I consider these games constitute).
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #494 on: November 28, 2019, 02:15:48 PM »
Gotta be that.
BB destroyed my ass, while i sometimes fire up DkS1 for the comfy difficulty.
Infact, that was the sweet spot for me, further FROM games got too hard for their own good, in my opinion (didn't even finish Sekiro).

Dark 1 is a very slow and methodical game by comparison.
Also no 8 directional roll while locked on, can fuck with your head, but they change that in 2 and 3.

Himu

« Reply #495 on: November 28, 2019, 02:36:48 PM »
Went to New Anor Londo and came back, turns out the cleric girl and her henchmen died or became hollow and she's trapped in a hole. I love shit like this. Why are these games so cool with the story telling and world building?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #496 on: November 28, 2019, 02:39:44 PM »
Gotta be that.
BB destroyed my ass, while i sometimes fire up DkS1 for the comfy difficulty.
Infact, that was the sweet spot for me, further FROM games got too hard for their own good, in my opinion (didn't even finish Sekiro).

Dark 1 is a very slow and methodical game by comparison.
Also no 8 directional roll while locked on, can fuck with your head, but they change that in 2 and 3.

Yeah I've getting used to it and aside from the occasional boss it's not that bad. Enemies are slow and ridiculous easy to punish. It's really, really easy to parry compared to BB. The window is so slow that one time I parried an attack that was at the high point of the swing, like right when he raised his arm and not even closed to throwing the blade down. It's also easy to backstab.

If there's one thing that's more difficult in DS1 it's that there's less bonfires and save points/shortcuts. They're far more distant than what was in BB.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #497 on: November 28, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »
Interesting, because I find parrying so much easier in BB than DS3... Must be cake in DS1.

Himu

« Reply #498 on: November 29, 2019, 01:45:22 AM »
Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Svejk don't read this post. Spoilers.

Went to the Depths, got lost, killed a summoner? Fought off some giant rats and basalisks. Couldn't find anything. Somehow found my way back to Undead Asylum just through exploring and it was an incredible experience. Knocked Stray Demon out like a bitch. Very easy but so fun.

Then wandered around, took out all the black knights, found a doll, and fought the warrior from the beginning of the game! :o Except he was Hollow now. :gladbron

Incredible storytelling, level design, use of environment, and build up. Seeing the monster through the cage bars at the beginning only to come back and WRECK SHIT.

The game has also completely clicked at this point and I am LOVING it so much. You feel so powerful coming here and feel so much hope when before there was so much sorrow. Incredible stuff.

Still looking for what to do in the depths but bah gawd I love this game now. It has REALLY clicked for me in the way Bloodborne before it did.

Really glad to give the game another shot after all these years. It feels so satisfying for it finally click after hours and hours of trying in the past.

Again, fuck the people on the first page who said not to bother.

And bonus round, wanted to show off my skills at this point. lmao Feels so good.

AHAHAHAHHAHA
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #499 on: November 29, 2019, 01:52:01 AM »
Also I've never bothered with PVP with these games but was exploring in Undead Burg and saw a white summon sign despite being undead form. Turns out it lets me invade someone that killed before for revenge. Lots of people were trying to kill him. It was fun as hell. Couldn't get him because he had a flame sword but one time he killed me, did a victory lap, and someone got him while he was dancing on my grave.

So I got the assist, at least. :jawalrus That's for killing me on the way to the Gargoyles you fuck.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #500 on: November 29, 2019, 04:46:10 AM »
Also I've never bothered with PVP with these games but was exploring in Undead Burg and saw a white summon sign despite being undead form. Turns out it lets me invade someone that killed before for revenge. Lots of people were trying to kill him. It was fun as hell. Couldn't get him because he had a flame sword but one time he killed me, did a victory lap, and someone got him while he was dancing on my grave.

So I got the assist, at least. :jawalrus That's for killing me on the way to the Gargoyles you fuck.

Yes, this was it for me as well. There are troll-players who sit at the church near the Solaire summon and will just wreck any non-Hollows who come through. It's a shitty, shitty practice. Glad to hear they got ganked while prancing about.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #501 on: November 29, 2019, 07:13:56 AM »
I feel like the PvP/coop in Souls games is too mature at this point.
People eviscerated these games with all sorts of meta shit, and it's harder to enjoy it.
The first weeks of DkS2 were great, a finally working online (non-remastered DkS1 was shit on that front) and a lot of fun helping people with bosses.

Himu

« Reply #502 on: November 29, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »
Now that the game has clicked I'm in complete "explore everywhere :unclephil" mode.

Went to Dark Basin or whatever and knocked the shit out of a black knight, unlocked the bonfire, and found the most incredible shield that restores stamina fast. Smacked around some ice dudes but struggling against some Hydra. I got the coolest armor set yet in the Knight armor set but it makes my character too slow. Wahhh. :tocry It's the cool armor used in promotion material too!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #503 on: November 29, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
:bow Giant Dad
:bow Iron Pineapple ganks

People calling others nig.ger for humor. Good representation of gamers.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #504 on: November 29, 2019, 02:14:39 PM »
What? I didn't watch them just sorted by views and posted. Even Souls fans are toxic it seems, damn!
:lol
I mean...

Himu

« Reply #505 on: November 29, 2019, 04:12:01 PM »

Borys you're too cute
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #506 on: November 29, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »
What? I didn't watch them just sorted by views and posted. Even Souls fans are toxic it seems, damn!
I mean...

I thought the current renaissance of "git gud" is traceable back to Dark Souls as an origin, no?

Himu

« Reply #507 on: November 30, 2019, 02:48:20 AM »
Took out Moonlight Butterfly. What a bore! First bad boss!

DS1 Forest is nothing compared to BB's. Kinda disappointed with the area. Has some good traps but I predicted all of them with the Souls sense built up by BB. Lol
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 02:55:13 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #508 on: November 30, 2019, 06:06:35 AM »
I mean...

I thought the current renaissance of "git gud" is traceable back to Dark Souls as an origin, no?
Yeah, as far as i know.
Souls fans are annoying shits, though they sort of settled down in the last few years.

Himu

« Reply #509 on: November 30, 2019, 12:04:07 PM »

lmao

Going to try to take on this Hydra and then go back to the Depth and then finally see if I can make it to Blighttown?

Level 30, 20 VIT, 20 END, 22 DEX, +4 Uchigatana. I had been holding off on upgrading my Uchigatana because I searched on Dark Souls wiki for other katanas and saw the Chaos Blade. I want that and didn't want to bother dumping treasured shards into a weapon I'm going to replace but Moonlight Butterfly was an eye opener of tedium without a leveled up weapon and one shard costs 800 souls at the Andre so who cares.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #510 on: November 30, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »
Man I am not killing those hydras any time soon lol.

Killed the dragon. Weaping dragon? Idk. Forgot.

Unlocked the blighttown door and will explore tonight after work.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #511 on: November 30, 2019, 07:13:17 PM »
Here's a speedrun of Code Vein in under an hour for Borys

fat

Himu

« Reply #512 on: December 01, 2019, 12:34:24 AM »
HOLY FUCK BLIGHTTOWN IS AMAZING

Level design, atmosphere, PvE. I fucking love it! Navigating it is such a thrill. Holy damn they nailed the dungeon crawl feel of not knowing what's next around the corner and being surrounded by oppressive enemies.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:46:25 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #513 on: December 01, 2019, 01:34:18 AM »
Honestly beyond the initial hype I forgot I played Sekiro. BB is a much better game. I'm glad to have played it because it's what got me to give Soulsborne another chance but it has nothing as good as Blighttown or the highs of BB.

The fact it's not an rpg is a massive negative. And the fact that the enemies are so pattern based that you can bat them around on replays makes it not the most replayable game. Meanwhile I'm considering doing a naked run in dark souls after I beat it. Sekiro offers no such variation in playstyle. It's very plain Jane.

Great game but not in the same category as BB or DS1

I wish they'd do an RPG in a Japanese setting.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #514 on: December 01, 2019, 02:34:20 AM »
I think I enjoy Dark Souls 1 more than Bloodborne :o One reason is the map. It's incredible how so much connects to each other. I'm BB the world is far more disjointed. Although that's the point, I vastly prefer the map in DS1.
IYKYK

thetylerrob

« Reply #515 on: December 01, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »
I still think DS is the best souls game for exactly that reason. The design of the world is just so damn good. :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #516 on: December 01, 2019, 11:57:32 AM »
I think I enjoy Dark Souls 1 more than Bloodborne :o One reason is the map. It's incredible how so much connects to each other. I'm BB the world is far more disjointed. Although that's the point, I vastly prefer the map in DS1.

Yeah, the map design in DS1 is amazing.

Still prefer BB for the actual combat & boss fights (DS1 combat is kinda busted jank but I also sorta love it. BLEED 4 EVER) and story-wise I give BB a little bit of an edge because I'm down with the Eldricht, but DS1 is my 2nd favorite souls game after BB because the map design, story, lore and ambiance.

Saying that, get ready to lower your expectations Cindi. DS1's last 1/3rd or 1/4th feels really rushed/unfinished. There's an entire terrible unfinished area and super awful boss fight later on.

Himu

« Reply #517 on: December 01, 2019, 12:25:53 PM »
I still think DS is the best souls game for exactly that reason. The design of the world is just so damn good. :rejoice

After Sekiro and BB I was miffed there was no teleport. But now I understand why and I prefer that. :)
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #518 on: December 01, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »
DkS1 has the best pacing and progression of any of their games from the start up until Anor Londo's boss fight.
After that it nose dives, but before that it's just a fantastic ride that they never really replicated.
Other games they did, surpassed it in many areas, but that sense of propulsion from area to area, while feeling interconnected is just unmatched in my opinion.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #519 on: December 01, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »

After Sekiro and BB I was miffed there was no teleport. But now I understand why and I prefer that. :)
Their reliance on teleportation is also why they felt more free to do the linear maps they've had ever since.
There's some hubs, but usually you go down a path and just ride it out until the boss, then just teleport back and go somewhere else.

Himu

« Reply #520 on: December 01, 2019, 06:08:23 PM »
Why is the last 30% bad?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #521 on: December 01, 2019, 06:55:03 PM »
Probably ran out of time? One path of a couple areas and bosses is pretty rough and iirc there's plenty of unused stuff too.

Himu

« Reply #522 on: December 02, 2019, 02:31:38 AM »
I rang the second bell. Holy shit.

First got the game in 2012. I can't believe I finally did it. So glad the game finally clicked. Game rocks.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #523 on: December 02, 2019, 05:17:11 AM »
Yeah, i don't want to spoil anything, but it's clear the last couple of areas were rushed to get the game out, which is unfortunate.
They could've fixed them in one of their re-releases/remasters, but i guess they just wanted to move on to the next game.

El Babua

« Reply #524 on: December 02, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
Also, get to the DLC Cindi. If you have trouble, look up how to get there, cause it's way more obtuse than getting to the DLC in the other games.

Bebpo

« Reply #525 on: December 02, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
I'm assuming any modern version of DS1 is goty including the dlc.

If not though, yeah, get it Cindi. The DLC for DS1 is great.

Himu

« Reply #526 on: December 02, 2019, 01:32:59 PM »
I already have the dlc. I have the Dark Souls trliogy ps4 boxset.

I'm assuming that locked door at the Dark Root Basin is the door to unlock the DLC?
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #527 on: December 02, 2019, 01:39:19 PM »
Yes  :)

El Babua

« Reply #528 on: December 02, 2019, 01:43:39 PM »
lol nope

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unless they changed it for the remaster, you have to beat the Hydra. Reload your save to reset the world settings, go to a little alcove in the lake on the left side - you'll see a golden crystal golem you have to kill. That golem will transform into an NPC. After that you have to kill another golem in the Duke's archive to get a pendant that will unlock a portal where the NPC was.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #529 on: December 02, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
Figured as much.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #530 on: December 02, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »
lol nope

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unless they changed it for the remaster, you have to beat the Hydra. Reload your save to reset the world settings, go to a little alcove in the lake on the left side - you'll see a golden crystal golem you have to kill. That golem will transform into an NPC. After that you have to kill another golem in the Duke's archive to get a pendant that will unlock a portal where the NPC was.
[close]

Thanks for the head up. Fuck that hydra btw.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #531 on: December 02, 2019, 02:01:04 PM »
Wait, isn't that at dark basin tho?

El Babua

« Reply #532 on: December 02, 2019, 02:01:55 PM »
Yeah, but the locked door is for something else

Bebpo

« Reply #533 on: December 02, 2019, 02:02:18 PM »
Ah, ok. It's been a while.

Himu

« Reply #534 on: December 02, 2019, 04:00:03 PM »
Holy fuck Sen's Fortress feels like a goddamn final dungeon and shit. This place isn't playing. Whoever Sen is, they're no slouch. Damn.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #535 on: December 03, 2019, 12:20:12 AM »
HOLY FUCK BLIGHTTOWN IS AMAZING

Level design, atmosphere, PvE. I fucking love it! Navigating it is such a thrill. Holy damn they nailed the dungeon crawl feel of not knowing what's next around the corner and being surrounded by oppressive enemies.

No, BLIGHTTOWN is a steaming stream of diarrhea, if you're playing it on 360, its original, publisher-TRC-approved platform. It runs like a slideshow, and exposes control and camera issues the base game contains.

Happy that you're enjoying it though.

Himu

« Reply #536 on: December 03, 2019, 12:35:36 AM »
It is incredible level design and has no frame problems on PS4 :yeshrug
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #537 on: December 03, 2019, 01:13:00 AM »
I always said Blightown was a good level.

The horrible framerate on last gen consoles (and even the original PC version) left a really bad taste in peoples mouths. Although I do acknowledge some of the enemy placement in that area is just bs lol

Himu

« Reply #538 on: December 03, 2019, 02:22:50 AM »
Sen's :stahp

Hardcore dungeon crawl shit. Oh my GOD.

I'm both :gladbron and :stahp right now. This is glorious. Haven't played a good dungeon this tight in a long ass time. DAMN.

It's truly godlike. The resource management is :delicious

Bruh. 5 estus and this long ass dungeon, you better make good choices. This is incredible. :lawd OMG I never imagined Souls would go full jrpg and here we are. :gladbron
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 02:30:16 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #539 on: December 03, 2019, 02:40:38 AM »
This is like an action rpg version of traditional SMT or Wizardry.

OMG this is a faithful translation from turn based dungeon crawl design with traps, obstacles, risk-reward, item/resource management. I've never seen an action rpg fully replicate the feeling of trekking through a hard dungeon in an action rpg and these fuckers have gone and done it.

I always knew Dark Souls is something I would potentially like because I'm a dungeon crawl/roguelike fan. But bah gawd. This tickles all my buttons. And the bonfire is nowhere in sight. The sheer amount of adversity. :rejoice It's like they've gone full Wizardrylike.

Talking about

:lawd
IYKYK