Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5  (Read 82872 times)

Bebpo

I mean straight up even further, my clear times for DS1-3 & Bloodborne, all DLCs included in each were about 30 hours each with the longest being maybe 35-40 (I think that DS2).

Even if you’re an old ass gamer with no time or skills you have time for a 30 hour rpg, and even if you only have 30 mins a night that’ll get you to the next bonfire or past a boss and then a save point.

Sekiro is different where you might need a lot of time for bosses.

Himu

Here you have 2 skilled, younger fighting games/ Ninja Gaiden guys telling an elder player he should maybe reconsider his gaming priorities and get good :rofl

That...that wasn't said at all.

In fact, I brought up priorities being different as we age.
IYKYK

Himu

Nah. Not fix him. Just think there should be a game or something out there he can play that is something like what he used to play when he was young that requires more reflexes. Like I said, it doesn't have to be demanding or even in-depth. The guy said that he can't play higher reflex/difficult games, and I don't think that's entirely true depending on what that game is.

Ultimately I agree with him in that as you get older it's best to stay in your lane and stick with what you like.

Problem is that despite my issues with Dark Souls in the past, I ultimately still like like it. Haha. So maybe we're coming at this from different places.
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Is Mace in DS1 as overpowered as in DS2? I remember using Mace for 90% of time in DS2 because it was that good.

No idea, I probably won't play 2.

The mace is a decent weapon for a Cleric, can comfortably be used through to the end game. Fine one handed, A scaling with Str, no need to worry about Dex. Personally going for a janky(bad) all around low vit build this time where i'll end up with 40 dex/str and 30fth for the dmb/slb miracles so i can have a stupid high AR quality build. I forgot how good miracles are in this game, even force, you get 21 uses no FP! Casting is ridiculously fast. Keeping attunement low at 12 for 2 slots. 3 would be nice, but i think im spreading my stats too thin already.
◕‿◕

naff

Should I get lighting spear asap? Already put 6 points in faith (and a few in end and vit) ,need 10 more.

Don't you need to deposit sunlight medals for that too? You could help with some gargoyle runs, every time you help to beat a boss your requirement at the altar drops by 5 fth levels. I wouldn't worry bout it til later. Force and Heal are great.

With what little time I have to play, I could never see myself playing for over an hour fighting one boss over and over again till I beat him, like Borys can…  That’s where time tells me to say, fuck it, gotta move on.  …which makes me struggle with Souls games.  But I want to play them so bad though, because I love action RPGs and the themes.  :noah

so long as you don't hold yourself to a no summons code, no bosses in souls are actually that hard. DkS3 is still popular enough that there are pc summons on nearly every boss, and when there aren't, there are npc summons that crush or at least distract while you crush. i think borys is one of those that holds himself to that code? me? naw. i try to play the most broken build and summon  whenever possible/make sure i follow npc questlines so i can play as cabbage mode as possible esp on 1st run.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 05:16:51 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

Himu

Bloodborne get.

Footage later!
IYKYK

Himu

No starter weapon in BB :mindblown
IYKYK

naff

post when you beat father gascoigne  :teehee
◕‿◕

Himu

:o

this is fantastic
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

First impressions:

- "This is neat."
- "Oh there's a demon wolf there. Wait. I have no weapon. Uhhhh"
- *dies*
- Goes to dream land. :what
- Ports back and dies some more
- "Um."
- finds some molotov cocktails and uses them to kill enemies including the demon wolf.
- Heals using vials, assuming I'll get em back at whatever bonfire this game has
- "Wait. There's no bonfire. I just used up precious resources."
- Kills enemies bare handed.
- "Where are weapons??"
- "Wait this has no block button!?" :crazy
- every door is locked :mindblown

I eventually found weapons in the dream world. But holy shit. Resource decision making matters, item management matters, resource management really matters. Not getting hit at all is a resource management because you can't replenish a flask like before.

I have gone around in circles because every door is locked and have no idea what I'm doing and I'm LOVING IT.

vincemcmahon.gif entirely
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 08:21:06 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

paprikastaude

Tbf, I’ve always hated hand holding. It’s why I could never get into Okami. Ive always enjoyed exploring, making my own rules, mastering systems. Back in the day, I enjoyed the freedom that came with games. In that, rules can be broken. Or you had the freedom to explore to your own liking. It’s a big reason I was big on RPGs (especially j) and open world sandbox like gta. So the more games handhold, the less I like. It is by far and beyond my biggest gaming pet peeve and I have never been able to overcome it. I loathe it with a thousand suns.

As for hand eye reflex coordination, in my experience that can be built up and maintained if practiced. I feel like my reflexes are better now than in my 20’s. Might be the fighters, I have no idea.

I completely get you though.

said after making a 3 page thread begging to be hand held through a game that has, at worst, a SNES game's accessibility.  :doge

Bebpo

Ok, that video that you forgot to get a weapon and are fighting dudes barehanded is pretty amazing Cindi  :lol

Glad you found the weapons!

Himu

Tbf, I’ve always hated hand holding. It’s why I could never get into Okami. Ive always enjoyed exploring, making my own rules, mastering systems. Back in the day, I enjoyed the freedom that came with games. In that, rules can be broken. Or you had the freedom to explore to your own liking. It’s a big reason I was big on RPGs (especially j) and open world sandbox like gta. So the more games handhold, the less I like. It is by far and beyond my biggest gaming pet peeve and I have never been able to overcome it. I loathe it with a thousand suns.

As for hand eye reflex coordination, in my experience that can be built up and maintained if practiced. I feel like my reflexes are better now than in my 20’s. Might be the fighters, I have no idea.

I completely get you though.

said after making a 3 page thread begging to be hand held through a game that has, at worst, a SNES game's accessibility.  :doge

There's a difference between wanting tips and hand holding but ok.
IYKYK

naff

should've said: don't post 'til you beat father gascoigne  :teehee
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

one don't need tips for bb except play blind

Himu

This game is hard as shit.
IYKYK

Himu

one don't need tips for bb except play blind

:beli

Shut up.
IYKYK

Himu

Took a break a few hours ago. My progress so far.

My character:

Impressions:

Game is hard and punishing as shit, and...

IYKYK

Bebpo

The difficulty has a lot of curves. It definitely will get much easier than the beginning which is super hard, but then there'll be spikes of hard too. If you want a real challenge save the DLC for NG+, I mean I'm sure it's hard enough in NG, but in NG+ the expansion does.not.fuck.around

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
I beat Gascoigne on first try, back in the day.  :smug
spoiler (click to show/hide)
But died once at Cleric Beast (i blame the camera of course).
[close]

Himu

Made it to Father. That's it for today.

Changing it so that sometimes your blood/souls aren't a stain to pick up but contained within a monster you have to beat is...genius. Like, damn. So if you lose your souls you might have to fight the very monster that killed you which makes you play even better because there's so much more at risk if you die. Wow.

The level design is nothing short of superb. It feels like it's more open than Dark Souls. In Dark Souls you had shortcuts but they often had specific requirements like needing specific keys. The level design here is more like Demon's. Often in Dark Souls the world can feel very linear because it's a straight trek and you've got bonfires. Here, there's only one bonfire in this area, the lamp, and you need to unlock shortcuts within the area to progress. For instance, in Undead Burg in DkS1 you need to get a key so you can go down that staircase and down into the village where you fight the assassins on the way to Capra. Or that locked sewer on the way to Undead Burg. In BB, you have one massive area with lots of shortcuts to unlock. It feels more massive and open than Dark Souls to me. I don't know if it's artificial or what.

The encounter design is classic From Soft.

Somehow I feel more powerful than in Sekiro despite less options. I feel so COOL doing stuff like this.

Speaking of which, BB is a very unique and fantastic parry system. Tying it to a resource (bullets)? Even better. Interrupting a attack you read with your gun, and then parrying is so, fucking satisfying.

The combat might be more satisfying than Sekiro.

The world building is incredible. After Sekiro having a talking protagonist and the world/story fed to you I now find that to be a mistake despite how much I enjoy it. It's so refreshing putting the puzzle pieces together individually with this game. "Where am I?" "What the fuck am I?" "What's a hunter and what do they hunt?" "Why are people locked in houses treating me like this?" "What is that doll?" I love how each individual question gets incrementally answered. I love that minimalist story telling and From Soft surprises me in how good they are in still telling stories in that manner.

The atmosphere is  :delicious

I think I might end up liking this more than Sekiro which shocks me. This entire time I avoided BB thinking it wouldn't be something for me and I'm kicking myself for doing so.

I've my blood into HP so far to give me some extra leeway. Maybe concentrate on strength next. Not sure what the point of Skill is.

I love this game. :lawd
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 03:56:25 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

Also HOLY GOD, as a Berserk fan this game is pure fanservice.

Like, the LOGO is straight up the mark that the demons put on Guts.

The design of the hunters is straight out of Berserk.

I didn't know this game had Hunters in it before I bought it. I knew nothing of the story.

I'm so glad I named my character Buffy. :rejoice
IYKYK

Bebpo

Yeah, From Soft loves Berserk, there’s that key image from Dark Souls 1 expansion that’s like literally a retrace of an image from Berserk.

Dark Souls is actually closer to Berserk than BB which you’ll see. DS is dark fantasy genre, BB is cosmic horror. Best Lovecraft game.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
The opening of BB is good but it gets do much more Lovecraft later

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Dracula's vibes in the beginning > Lovecraft shit.
Probably the only person on the planet who thinks that, though.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
The shift in tone is what makes it so great, esp when you didn't see it coming.

paprikastaude

Re: Cindi plays Soulsborne series. Please help Cindi enjoy these games.
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
Considering this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bloodborne-Game-Year-Sony-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MS1GOAX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bloodborne+goty+edition&qid=1556221171&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But it's European. Does that matter? Probably not anymore with PS4 being region free, but I'm curious about it. It has all dlc. But would EU dlc work on an US ps account?

Doesn't matter and you'd just need to make a EU account to redeem the DLC, which you can then use on your American account.  But there is a version of this game that has all the DLC already included on the disc- I have it.  It's the version that came out in Saudi Arabia (has a quote from IGN Middle East on the cover).

This guy appears to be selling this version of the game, on eBay, for $29:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloodborne-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-PlayStation-4-PS4-Region-Free-ARPG-NEW/142241086884?hash=item211e3abda4:g:v1kAAOSwSZFZ3Tnt&frcectupt=true

wait what :leon thread redeemed forever

Dracula's vibes in the beginning > Lovecraft shit.
Probably the only person on the planet who thinks that, though.

I like everything but the whole purple deal at the end :trumps
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 09:38:02 AM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

I wanna thank ya'll for making this thread... this weekend, I'm gonna take a break from Shadow of War, get back into DSIII and get off the damn High Wall of Lothric for once.  :salute
Which I know is still basically the beginning.  :doge

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Not sure what the point of Skill is.

It increases the attack power of certain weapons.

I probably should get around to actually finishing DS3 sometime.  I got stuck on one point and then didn't touch my PS4 for a while and kind of forgot about it.

Bloodborne is probably my favorite though.  Once the combat clicks with you, it's so nice.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Past Gargolyes now, Mace up to 5+

I died twice with a summon cause i tried to melee lol, just firebombed them on the third try.

Would like some offensive magickz

Bebpo

The first time I played Dark Souls 1 I struggled so hard on the bell tower gargoyles at the beginning. Going back these days it's a lot more doable lol

Bebpo

Going back on the Berserk stuff, there's a ton of Berserk references in the Souls games. I still think this artwork is the most straight up nod since it was the cover for the Prepare to Die edition of DS1.

And you can cosplay as Gattsu/Guts in DS3 complete with iron hand & the eclipse.

Himu

:o

The eclipse
IYKYK

Himu

IYKYK

Bebpo

Nice work, coming from Sekiro probably helps since that's sorta a slower paced Sekiro boss fight. Coming from DS1/2 at the time, that fight was so fast and fucked everyone up  :lol

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Capra demon now  :doge

Himu

Facts:

1) 99% (all but one) of your parries missed.
2) Exactly 1 (one) of your parries connected and you did not visceral it --> ergo treat it as a missed parry.
3) You beat this guy in under 2 minutes with no effort.

Learnings:

1) Parry mechanics SUCK. They SUCK in Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1/2/3, Bloodborne. They SUCK in Sekiro.
2) They are NOT NEEDED for any Soulsborne/Sekiro game even for Platinuming them.

You just proved this with that one video. FROM should really reconsider their post-Sekiro game to not be a "rhytm parry" title.

Bloodborne bosses feel easy coming from Sekiro, no?

I also beat this guy at 2nd or 3rd try. Never understood why he is a "roadblock" for the internet (I used Axe). I don't think I had a lot of problems with any BB (DLC) boss. Maybe Micolash. Everyone else was just a dodge game (no parries).

I'm learning the parry timing. I fought him before and I parried his attacks and it worked then. I feel like I'm parrying too early or too late. I was confused by a lot of his attacks. I did learn from the boss and some other enemies that I should roll towards them. For one, it puts me behind them. Two, it evades their hitbox especially if during during start up rather than active. When I dodged back I'd often get hit.

I like parries. Big damage if you can get a deathblow and they make me feel powerful.

Certainly a learning experience even though it was easy.

Capra demon now  :doge

Good luck!
IYKYK

Himu

Hmm.

:ohhh

Using fighting game knowledge here...so...

Bison's psycho crusher has a very horizontal hit box. He takes lots of horizontal space. Same for a hadouken.

In Street Fighter you have a 2d side scroller game that is played x and y axis, horizontal, vertical, and occasionally diagonal. So the counter to psycho crusher is the jump over it, use your own horizontal move such as a hadouken, or if you have a jab fast enough that'll do.

But Bloodborne is a 3d game that has x, y, and z from the third perspective.

So pretending the psycho crusher were in Bloodborne, you definitely wouldn't want to roll back. You'd get hit. There's no jump, and rolling to the side might get tracked by an attack. So dodging forward or to the side would really work well. Hell it'd work fantastic on a hadouken.

Most of the more dangerous attacks in Bloodborne are moves that take up forward space that comes towards you.

And that's how you can control space in Bloodborne by my estimations. It's not clear cut but it seems like a good rule to go by.
IYKYK

Bebpo

I remember I destroyed Ludwig thinking "that is the hardest boss on youtube? what?"

Ludwig is not the hardest boss in the DLC, he's just tough because his moves are hard to read and have big hit radius. He was featured massively on youtube and is a meme because he is AWESOME, not because he's the hardest. Orphan of Kos is tougher imo.

Himu

A lot of attacks in Bloodborne are like this. Hitbox in red, hurtbox in green.

If she were in BB, you'd roll to the left or right, get behind her and punish.

:ohhh

Looking forward to the next boss now.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
I like how there's a specific hitbox for the tits :rejoice

Himu

No man it’s from Skullgirls
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
I feel likw i made a booboo by investing like 11 levels in faith from thw get go, but now I have unlocked Lighting Spear which will hopefully prove BIG for me

Himu

Surprised people complain about Bloodborne’s community. In my experience they’ve been very respectful and even sweet. Very supportive community.
IYKYK

naff

I feel likw i made a booboo by investing like 11 levels in faith from thw get go, but now I have unlocked Lighting Spear which will hopefully prove BIG for me

did u get artorias's sword?

you could make a run for the divine ember too and imbue something for faith scaling, or go for lightning or just get the sunlight blade.

im SL 26 with most levels put into end (at 20), faith 2nd, then vit and a few in str and dex - 14/14 so i can start wielding uchi, now to get faith to 30 for sunlight blade. something i'd recommend going for asap since you're so heavy on faith. will prob more than double your weapon damage per strike with a high mag adjust talisman
◕‿◕

Himu

Just beat Cleric Beast on my first try.
IYKYK

Himu

Game owns

Just put that fighting game hitbox knowledge into action and it worked. :obama

And for those who will complain, yes I know I missed visceral attacks. I didn’t realize it was a free visceral until the end. Oh well, you live, you learn.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:47:45 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

did u get artorias's sword?

you could make a run for the divine ember too and imbue something for faith scaling, or go for lightning or just get the sunlight blade.

im SL 26 with most levels put into end (at 20), faith 2nd, then vit and a few in str and dex - 14/14 so i can start wielding uchi, now to get faith to 30 for sunlight blade. something i'd recommend going for asap since you're so heavy on faith. will prob more than double your weapon damage per strike with a high mag adjust talisman

Nope, sticking to mace I think.

Sl 27 now (6hours lol) with 16 vit, 15 end and 25 faith. Need to put some points into end now. Or should i put the next 5 in faith as well?

naff

you can't really go wrong long term with your stat distribution if you stick with the basics. i think end/vit and phys damage stats are best early game. usually buff faith as i need it for the miracles i get.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

Cindi I saw your video on PS4 getting hit by the invisible attack and dying.
I'm so jealous you're playing this for the first time. Out of all the souls games I feel like Bloodborne is the only one I'd like to replay someday. Miyazaki's best game imo and even in 2019 I still stand by that it's the best game on PS4. Have fun with your Insight.

Recommended reading/watching for Bloodborne:
Alan Moore's The Courtyard & Providence
Event Horizon
Grant Morrison's Nameless

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Surprised people complain about Bloodborne’s community. In my experience they’ve been very respectful and even sweet. Very supportive community.
You probably weren't around the "i just played Bloodborne and i can't enjoy any other game" obnoxious parade.
Especially when it came to the "Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne" threads/posts (which incidentally doubled as a Playstation vs Xbox ones, because Witcher was more tied to MS in marketing terms).
FROM fans are generally insufferable, and Bloodborne is their Jesus Christ, the fact that it's also Sony exclusive makes it all the more succulent.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Once I realized I had to lock on to Capra to be able to block his attacks I was able to beat him. Yay for lightning spear

Bebpo

You probably weren't around the "i just played Bloodborne and i can't enjoy any other game" obnoxious parade.
Especially when it came to the "Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne" threads/posts (which incidentally doubled as a Playstation vs Xbox ones, because Witcher was more tied to MS in marketing terms).
FROM fans are generally insufferable, and Bloodborne is their Jesus Christ, the fact that it's also Sony exclusive makes it all the more succulent.

Well, like I said it’s the best game on the system so it’s not surprising people hold it in high regard. Same thing happened with RE4 on GC.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Nah, they moved on to God of War as PS Jesus.
Lol fair enough.

Well, like I said it’s the best game on the system so it’s not surprising people hold it in high regard. Same thing happened with RE4 on GC.
Best game on the system is debatable, though i agree it's probably the best PS4 exclusive, but RE4 was much more "earth shattering", in terms of design innovation, BB is just a twist on Souls, and if you played souls with a shieldless build, you were already 60% of the way there.
And personally i actually see it as a step back, since it trivializes stamina and encourages R1 spam, two things that set Demon's Souls apart from other action games.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
BB and Witcher 3 are both in my top 5 from the past decade

1. Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Last of Us
4. Hotline Miami
5. ???

Also there is a big fucking rat in the sewers in DS
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:48:58 AM by Premium Lager »

Svejk

Hotline Miami is the shit....  Didn't care for the 2nd one much at all.  :-\

Himu

I like Bloodborne more than Sekiro.

An entire generation of not feeling single player games and in a month I encounter two that I love. Whew. Big dent on the cynicism armor.
IYKYK

Himu

Seriously. Sekiro isn’t an rpg. But Bloodborne is an R.P.G.

I haven’t played a single rpg I think is good all generation. Years. Rpgs are my goddamn bread and butter.

The amount of choice and ramifications for being wrong make Bloodborne feel like an old school rpg experience of Japanese rpg lore. I’ve been employing my age old dungeon crawl tactics and systemically deducing the game to its parts. It gives me the same feeling I used to get while playing SMT games and other similar dungeon crawl games. It’s like the game was made specifically for me. I’ve made it to Old Yarnham and it’s not hard but it’s definitely punishing. It feels like a noticeable step up from Darin souls in that department. The enemies here, even the mooks, aren’t here to play.

The online makes it so good. It’s so populous that it feels like a real community helping each other out. It reminds me of Demon’s Souls when it first came out. Except this came out four years ago.

Stuff like stats, online, co-op, helping other noobs beat bosses gives it a bigger layer of depth that Sekiro could never achieve.

You guys don’t know what it means to me to be able to enjoy an rpg again. One that hasn’t sold out or gotten boring.

Real talk, I haven’t liked too many single player games this gen besides Cuphead and Sekiro. I have played multiplayer literally all generation.

I feel so wrong having not played BB until now that I’m reconsidering other fan favorites from this gen like God of War or Nier Automata and considering giving them a shot.

This post doesn’t even come close to how much I’m feeling this game. It’s everything I loved about niche jrpgs but with a bigger budget.

Might be a game of the generation contender. We’ll see.
IYKYK