Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5  (Read 82730 times)

Himu

Re: Soulsborne games thread
« Reply #720 on: February 15, 2020, 07:33:53 PM »
The game definitely is on the brink of kusoge.

Shit has no concept of things like rules. Dark Souls and by extension rpgs are all about rulesets.

Dark Souls 2 continuously breaks rules without one hint of explanation. At Heide you encounter white knights just sitting there that don't attack unless provoked. Fine. Beat the boss and they now go aggro. Why? Is there a lore reason? Is there a gameplay reason? No. It's just stupidity. Dark Souls 2 is full of shit like this. Where it breaks its rules with seemingly no explanation. Another example is enemies not respawning after a certain point. Why? Is there a lore reason?

Dark Souls 2 shoves as much random shit in as possible making a world that is not consistent or reliant on a ruleset

And Beige itself? Just a literal scenic place that's a goddamn tunnel. In fact pretty much all the locales wonder besides Forest of the Giants are linear hallways with no sense of progression. Gone is the multi-pathed approach that allows mastery of a locale. How many ways are there to Undead Parish? Or Blighttown?

Dark Souls 2 is kusoge. Who really cares about "build variety" if that's the case?

Bad Souls game? No. Bad RPG. Rpgs subsist on rules. What are they otherwise?

The FFXIII of Souls
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #721 on: February 15, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
 :rimshot

Himu

« Reply #722 on: February 16, 2020, 01:48:03 PM »
This game stretches what is considered a "good game". This game is utter balls. No Man's Wharf is terrible. Pincer attack after pincer attack. Trap after trap. Ambush after ambush. Just throw enemy numbers at the situation. Soulsborne is great because generally it's a game of knowledge and observation. Count the enemy numbers and plan a plan of action. Here, I will trigger enemy ambushes where they normally weren't even there because the game operated under its own flawed ruleset. The game is the definition of unfun. I just cleared an entire keep in No Man's Wharf with no reward in it.

Kusoge.
IYKYK

Himu

Re: Soulsborne games thread - Dark Souls 2 is dog shit
« Reply #723 on: February 16, 2020, 02:37:46 PM »
I unlocked the shortcut at no man's wharf and it was the least fun thing I've ever done in a Soulsbourne game.

Fans of this game are smoking crack.

It's such an unfun cheap fest. You know how in turn based rpgs you'll some times get a surprise encounter? Like a back attack? Those are cool. But what if you made an entire dungeon based off that formula?

Surprise attack surprise attack surprise attack surprise sttack

Shit game.

That's not to say surprise attacks are bad. They're fantastic and one of my favorite parts of rpgs. Bloodborne had this.

Why does this work? Bloodborne occasionally does jump scares and it's always satisfying. Why does it work? Because souls games almost always play their cards close to their chests. They're made so that you know the precise numbers, with adaquete scouting and getting information of the encounter before it even happens. So that the surprises are actually just that - unexpected. In DS2 they throw numbers and constant pincer attacks even with accurate information and scouting.

Therefore, your information is pointless. But finding information and executing a plan is why the games are fun. If the game constantly throws up and shits its pants to throw you off then it's not fun.

The above video embodies that. Just lazy design because lol PrePeRrr 2 DiEee

DIE, BART. DIE!!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:44:34 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #724 on: February 16, 2020, 06:27:06 PM »
I'm skipping this and playing III instead. Life is too short to play dog shit.
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #725 on: February 16, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »
No man's wharf isn't even close to as bad as it gets either lmao

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I remember it as another unremarkable area where the whole buildup of firing up the big light ended up being useless because of the borked lighting system
[close]

Himu

« Reply #726 on: February 17, 2020, 01:33:06 AM »
Decided that hey, maybe I'm wrong and decided to pop it in tonight.

Nope. Look how much stamina each attack and roll does. I feel so limited in this game. Even with a stamina ring it's soooo slow. I'm limited to one, maybe two slashes because I might need to roll. And against an HP sink of an enemy this makes combat tediously dull even when it's mind numbingly easy.

Compare to my fight with Havel.

Look how smooth it is. Look how fast my stamina bar increases. Look how many actions I can do.

Dark Souls 2 is not fun, feels like shit, and so far isn't even dark. Booty cheeks.

Dark Souls 3 time.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #727 on: February 21, 2020, 03:42:14 PM »
Dark Souls 3 is pretty good stuff. It's exactly what I want out of Soulsborne. It doesn't feel like Souls though. The aesthetic is more like Bloodborne. Still great however.

But at this point, Dark Souls 1 might be a top 5 game for me.

The game resonated with me at a point where I needed something like it in my life and it reminded me that life is worth living. One of the most powerful messages I've ever received from a game. 2, 3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro don't have that messaging for me. I think Dark Souls 1 stands alone in the series and transcends beyond it. I love Soulslikes but Dark Souls 1 is in a class of its own and neither 2 or 3 or even BB are as good.

And that's fine.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #728 on: February 21, 2020, 04:15:02 PM »
Yes, they're strong af.
IYKYK

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #729 on: February 21, 2020, 05:42:49 PM »
I was never huge on these games, but it wasn't for lack of trying. I think I may kind of like them now?

I got about halfway (?) through Demon's back in the day, got to a point where it lost me and never really went back. I tried DS1 on release, but never got very far...maybe minotaur way in the early game. Came away thinking it was a frustrating, obtuse, and janky mess. I picked up Bloodborne due to pretty much universal praise but while I dug the aesthetic, the opening stretch made me swear off souls bullshit forever. I have no control so also picked up DS2 and 3 likely for good prices on black friday or something but they were both in wrappers.

Last December I picked up a copy of DS1 switch for $13ish. Decided to give it another spin and really got into it for a while, although I did look at a few YouTubes. Realized yeah, there is skill involved, but just as important is knowing the flow of the game and having correct equipment/leveling...at least to get to like the halfway points.  :lol

Anyway, I got all the way to blighttown and it kind of lost me and I took a break. I tried DS3 and really liked it, got to tree boss of undead settlement which destroyed me. Soon after that I decided to give BB another shot and fell in love all the way until just after killing Rom. I think it's losing me, but maybe I just don't like the level. I need to get back to it.

The Surge is pretty OK too, although I think I need to focus on BB or DS1 before getting too far in (I am just past first boss I think).

The moral of the story is I need to stop buying shit cause I am in the middle of too many of these now.

Himu

« Reply #730 on: February 22, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »
I'm still playing it. I'm at Undead Settlement. Solid and fun area, hate the enemy character design.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #731 on: February 22, 2020, 06:57:55 PM »
Although I haven't finished BB or Sekiro yet, at the moment, from what I've played, DS3 is still the best... It clicked pretty hard.  I really ought to get the dlc.

Himu

« Reply #732 on: February 23, 2020, 02:27:22 AM »
Curse rotted greatwood is a horrible fight.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #733 on: February 23, 2020, 03:14:46 AM »
How? I'm into swords. Yes it's easy but just a pain. So slow.

Beat it and now figuring out where to go. Got the tower key.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #734 on: February 24, 2020, 05:29:34 PM »
I tried all sorts of swords... but kept going back to Hollowslayer Greatsword..  LAWD that sword was perfect   :lawd  Finished the rest of the game with it.

Himu

« Reply #735 on: February 24, 2020, 05:40:29 PM »
How? I'm into swords. Yes it's easy but just a pain. So slow.

Beat it and now figuring out where to go. Got the tower key.

In case you didn't figure it out, take the elevator down in that one tower where you meet the onion Knight, fight the frost knight thing, and proceed onwards to the Road of Sacrifices.

Yeah i've done it

Also hollowslayer greatsword appears to be a dex weapon. i'm leveling up str. I got me a club and it wrecks shit. I love the slower gameplay it forces me to play and reminds me of DS1.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #736 on: February 24, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »
Yeah I never do magic builds. I'll be doing magic next Souls 1 run.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #737 on: February 25, 2020, 01:50:27 AM »
Holy fuck this forest/swamp at road of sacrifices duck it rocks
IYKYK

El Babua

« Reply #738 on: February 25, 2020, 02:15:48 PM »
I really liked the more open environments DS3 introduced. The first couple areas of the game really shine in that regard.

Himu

« Reply #739 on: February 25, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
I really liked the more open environments DS3 introduced. The first couple areas of the game really shine in that regard.

Far better than what DS2 had going. Even if it doesn't connect like DS1, it's still great BB-esque design.
IYKYK

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #741 on: March 02, 2020, 08:44:29 PM »
Did Cindy try Demon's? IMO that's the Peak of the series.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #742 on: March 02, 2020, 08:50:04 PM »
Some people may disagree with this, but the Lothric Princes are a tougher boss fight than Ornstein and Smough.

I died a decent number of times against O&S like everyone else, but I beat them the same day I first attempted them, after maybe 1-2 hours of trying.

With my current character, I've been stuck against L&L for a lot longer. I gave up and went and did the DLC first. Friede was easier than these fucking brothers. I've made more progress against Nameless King than against these fucking brothers.

They just hit so hard, so frequently, and from anywhere in the room due to teleporting and beam attacks that go through the pillars. It's like if you gave Bloodborne's Abhorrent Beast a beam attack in addition to his infinite stamina, infinite tracking regular bullshit. I almost broke a controller after the 10th time Lorian teleported away, then hit me with an offscreen OHKO energy wave before I could even find him again.

Nah, I'm with you. last time I played DS1 I steamrolled fatty and thinny but those stupid fucking princes must have whooped my ass over like 50 times in DS3

Svejk

« Reply #743 on: March 02, 2020, 09:19:40 PM »
The princes took me about 2-3 tries... Nameless King though?   :stahp

And the dancer... Fuck that thing.. Love the armor set though.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #746 on: May 09, 2020, 09:05:00 PM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #747 on: May 09, 2020, 09:21:01 PM »
Some people may disagree with this, but the Lothric Princes are a tougher boss fight than Ornstein and Smough.

I died a decent number of times against O&S like everyone else, but I beat them the same day I first attempted them, after maybe 1-2 hours of trying.

With my current character, I've been stuck against L&L for a lot longer. I gave up and went and did the DLC first. Friede was easier than these fucking brothers. I've made more progress against Nameless King than against these fucking brothers.

They just hit so hard, so frequently, and from anywhere in the room due to teleporting and beam attacks that go through the pillars. It's like if you gave Bloodborne's Abhorrent Beast a beam attack in addition to his infinite stamina, infinite tracking regular bullshit. I almost broke a controller after the 10th time Lorian teleported away, then hit me with an offscreen OHKO energy wave before I could even find him again.

Nah, I'm with you. last time I played DS1 I steamrolled fatty and thinny but those stupid fucking princes must have whooped my ass over like 50 times in DS3

This is where I stopped played ds3. Just couldn't be bothered and didn't feel like I came closer really

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #748 on: May 26, 2020, 02:37:54 PM »
I've been replaying DS3 with a magic/pyro character (used melee the first time). It's crazy how much easier most of the bosses are when you can just shoot them from a distance.

The only bosses who were still hard were the twin princes, the demon princes, and Midir. Those three are actually harder than using melee, because either they are fast and aggressive enough to punish all your casting animations (princes) or they resist literally every ranged spell in the game (Midir).

I've also been experimenting with stupid pvp builds. My favorite so far was equipping the magic/pyro character with weapons they don't have the str/dex to use. It turns out even if you don't have enough stats to use the weapon, you can still swing it, you still get poise from it, and you still do elemental damage with it. So a character with 0 str/dex can still swing an elemental ultra weapon for decent damage. More importantly just by having a gigantic weapon in hand, you scare people from getting close, which lets you hit them with your real threat, the magic/pyro.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #749 on: May 26, 2020, 03:32:58 PM »
DS2 might be my favorite of them.  DS1 is the better game but both are better than 3. 

Bebpo

« Reply #750 on: May 26, 2020, 03:34:41 PM »
DS2 might be my favorite of them.  DS1 is the better game but both are better than 3.

Interesting.

I like DS2 so not gonna hate on that take, but I think you're probably one of the 5 people in the world with that take.
What didn't you like about 3 compared to 2?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #751 on: May 26, 2020, 05:23:06 PM »
3 was too easy for like 90% of the game.  Only the DLC was really challenging.  The combat was way too rolly.  This is exactly what I liked about 2 which made it so you had to be more economical with your movements. 

Bebpo

« Reply #752 on: May 26, 2020, 06:13:04 PM »
Yeah, 3's definitely more agile build focused. 2 was tougher but a lot of that was because of the few bullshit sections like the magic missile spam. 3 still had some challenging bosses, but yeah 2 is tougher.

Svejk

« Reply #753 on: June 11, 2020, 10:56:09 PM »
Some screen shots of Demon's Souls remake...

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Himu

« Reply #754 on: June 11, 2020, 10:58:44 PM »
:drool
IYKYK

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #755 on: June 12, 2020, 12:35:31 AM »
It looks crazy fucking tasty.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #756 on: June 12, 2020, 12:48:09 AM »
404 Soul not found.

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #757 on: June 24, 2020, 10:37:57 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Playing through Dark Souls again, I'm amazed how many things I've never done. This is the first time I completed Siegmeyer's quest, first time I kept Solaire alive, and first time I killed Priscilla. Feeling a little dirty about that last one.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #758 on: July 06, 2020, 10:23:01 AM »
...so I fucking bought Bloodborne and I don't REALLY suck at it, but I do have lazy tendencies. Keeping my focus 100% on what's going on and the environment seems to be a necessity in this game and I, uh, am lazy and shit. I'M OLD AND MY ATTENTION WANDERS.

I'm still early on in the game, about to fight the Blood-starved Beast. Cleric Beast wasn't tough for me for whatever reason ("only" two tries) but Father Gascoigne's speed was not something I was good at dealing with. In general, the slower enemies (brick trolls or whatever) I tend to easily deal with and swarms of faster enemies give me problems.

The game is obviously incredible and on the short list for game of the generation. I'm going to seriously try to finish it but if it gets too absurd I can see myself rage quitting. WILL REPORT BACK LATER.

ETA: I am stubborn and pissy and will not ever summon other hunters or engage in pvp because fuck you I hate other actual human beings and would rather pound my dick into mush with a mallet than play games with people.
yar

Svejk

« Reply #759 on: July 06, 2020, 10:46:02 AM »
I'm about halfway through BB, but stopped to play other games, but I enjoyed the piss out of what I did play.  I really want to jump back in, but now with PSFif around the corner, I'd rather wait to finish it on there with them boostsesessz.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #760 on: July 06, 2020, 12:08:15 PM »
I thought about that and I may end up in that boat, but I'm really digging it so far and the likelihood of me buying a PS5 at launch (or even in the first year tbh) are slim
yar

Himu

« Reply #761 on: July 06, 2020, 02:03:45 PM »
...so I fucking bought Bloodborne and I don't REALLY suck at it, but I do have lazy tendencies. Keeping my focus 100% on what's going on and the environment seems to be a necessity in this game and I, uh, am lazy and shit. I'M OLD AND MY ATTENTION WANDERS.

I'm still early on in the game, about to fight the Blood-starved Beast. Cleric Beast wasn't tough for me for whatever reason ("only" two tries) but Father Gascoigne's speed was not something I was good at dealing with. In general, the slower enemies (brick trolls or whatever) I tend to easily deal with and swarms of faster enemies give me problems.

The game is obviously incredible and on the short list for game of the generation. I'm going to seriously try to finish it but if it gets too absurd I can see myself rage quitting. WILL REPORT BACK LATER.

ETA: I am stubborn and pissy and will not ever summon other hunters or engage in pvp because fuck you I hate other actual human beings and would rather pound my dick into mush with a mallet than play games with people.

It's my GOTG and restored my love for games. Keep going. Patience is good, it means reflexes don't matter as much as knowledge.

Also fuck summoning. I beat all of BB and all dlc without doing it. It will teach the game and will make you a better player.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:35:21 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #762 on: July 17, 2020, 11:28:36 PM »
Think I'm finally getting the hang of Sekiro after many, many hours of beating my head against the wall. I knew coming in that it wasn't Souls combat and blocking and deflecting were important but it took me so long to stop instinctively spamming dodge and circling behind the enemy. Really good game tho.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #764 on: July 20, 2020, 06:46:00 PM »
Started Sekiro.  This is fun.  More Ninja Gaiden than Dark Souls. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #765 on: July 21, 2020, 02:12:10 PM »
Ok this is kicking my ass.  I'm past the bull and Seven Spears and the one arm sword guy in the well are both killing me over and over.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #766 on: July 21, 2020, 09:34:11 PM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #767 on: July 22, 2020, 08:41:13 PM »
This guy with the bow is being a huge dick. 

Svejk

« Reply #768 on: September 10, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
I keep forgetting this game is coming!  :lol  Sounds more and more likely this'll be a PS5 launch title...

:drool

And possible box art...

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/09/two_new_demons_souls_ps5_screenshots_have_shown_up_alongside_placeholder_box_art

Tuckers Law

« Reply #769 on: September 11, 2020, 09:47:39 PM »
I’m excited to watch people who didn’t play the original, especially for those seminal Demon’s Souls moments like running into that first red eye knight, invaders breaking all your shit with the scraping spear, and the entire start-to-finish experience in Latria.

:lawd

El Babua

« Reply #770 on: September 12, 2020, 12:28:23 AM »
Hopefully Bluepoint doesn't fuck any of it up!

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #771 on: September 12, 2020, 01:49:35 AM »
Demon's is such a basic Souls experience, as i said in the other thread, most of the ideas popped up (usually polished up) in subsequent games.
Poison areas, most of the bosses, gimmick enemies, Yurt/Lautrec... playing through it now will probably feel like going through the prototype for the rest of the series, for most people.

Though we have to see how much BluePoint updated/changed.

That said, DeS is still a game with a great, dark atmosphere, and as pointless as i still think it was to remake it, it's still probably the best looking next gen game coming out at (or near) launch so far.

El Babua

« Reply #772 on: September 12, 2020, 02:00:14 AM »
Both Latria and Shrine of Storms are GOAT souls areas. Tower of Latria in particular is still one of the very few perfect levels in a video game.

Scary, amazingly designed and had surprises that subverted elements you experienced in the other levels - stuff most developers would save for a sequel.

If I trusted Bluepoint more, I'd want them to expand upon it and fuck with us with new surprises. But I have to see gameplay first before reserving judgement.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #773 on: September 12, 2020, 12:02:49 PM »
Every time I see the thread title I get triggered

Svejk

« Reply #774 on: September 12, 2020, 03:09:21 PM »
Found a copy of DS Remastered that fell out the back of the digital truck to try on my PC.  :pimp  Looking forward to trying it...

I really want to get back to BB (close to halfway through it), but a part of me would like to wait and see if PS5 will boost it some... But then again, with Halloween around the corner, it would fit my gaming mood perfectly.   :P

Which brings me to ask you peeps..
Dark Souls Remastered or Bloodborne?  Which one's more the Souls priority? 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:05:47 PM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #775 on: September 12, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »
idk, both are the best Souls games.

Dark Souls 1 is a lot easier so probably easier to get into and finish. Bloodborne is pretty hard until the last 1/3rd or so when you max your weapon level.

paprikastaude

« Reply #776 on: September 14, 2020, 01:53:04 PM »
I just couldn't ever get DS because it's already been a step too far into generic western fantasy for me, which is my most hated setting alongside playing as Japanese high schoolers. DeS was the one I would've wanted to catch up on after Bloodborne, because it at least seemed to have a more distinct horror atmosphere. Now with the remake I don't know. Several things in the trailer looked like they were turned into generic WoW shit, designwise. But some screens like that are slightly reassuring? :idont

Svejk

« Reply #777 on: September 14, 2020, 02:42:10 PM »
Literally dabbled at the beginning of DS Remastered...  Shame on me, but it looks kinda ugly... Not sure if it's how they Remastered it, but it just looks ...poor.  The 60fps looks great, but man.. I don't know if it's the texture rework or the shading/lighting they use...  I was saying shame on me, because I easily fall into my graphic whoreismo, and I become highly picky.  Not sure if I can do this...  DS3, and even BB, just look sooo much better.  Just feels like a big step back in the visual department.  :larry 

Tuckers Law

« Reply #778 on: September 14, 2020, 11:29:04 PM »
Generic WoW shit?   :lol

Himu

« Reply #779 on: September 15, 2020, 06:11:30 AM »
Dark Souls is not generic fantasy at all. Holy shit
IYKYK