Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 50508 times)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Re: This somehow turned into a Heavy Metal thread :idont
« Reply #300 on: June 29, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »
Watching converge, the armed and whores in 7 days. so fucking excited especially to see the armed again. never actually seen converge live somehow.

Anselmo will also be there with whatever idiots that wants to still play with him. Will show up to do hitler salute with him. Will probably catch The Cure and Behemoth as well, even if I care little for them.

I'll always appreciate some Gojira. Those dudes are fucking amazing live too.

i am mr gilhaney and i approve of this message.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #301 on: June 29, 2019, 01:21:25 PM »
Good to see Gojira mentioned. One of the only newer death metal bands I can actually stand. From Mars to Sirius is basically what got me into the genre.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #302 on: June 30, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »

Have some more stoner metal.

Himu

Re: Heavy Metal
« Reply #303 on: June 30, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:48:02 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #304 on: July 01, 2019, 12:32:04 AM »
So I've sampled about every metal genre.

I can't believe I'm about to say this but I fucking love black metal. No offense to those who love it, but I think it shits on death metal. I listened to samples of atmospheric black metal and it's fucking art. I liked what I heard from black metal instantly. I have ignored it because I chalked it up as the most extreme metal genre full of satanists, nazi's, and racists.

But I'm truly in love here. And the lyrics are incredible.

This is like the M83 of metal. :notlikethis

And this is nothing short of incredible work.

I don't know what to do. It's easily the most haram genre but it's fucking beauty from what I've been exposed to so far.

I read this thread on r/christianity and the replies really helped me come to turns with it.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Christianity/comments/bxhaed/black_metal_and_christianity/

Found a convenient doc to help out avoid fascist black metal. Whew.

edit:

DREAM THEATER
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:30:33 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #305 on: July 01, 2019, 10:50:16 AM »

Slightly different vocal style for "Black Metal", but the music itself is a nice little ride.
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #306 on: July 01, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »

Slightly different vocal style for "Black Metal", but the music itself is a nice little ride.

That was great. Nice twists and turns and fucked with my expectations. Had me like :obama during that transition. Late in the song I heard what sounded like what was seemingly a guitar and it was the singer! :o Holy crap. Black metal is really clicking with me.

Checked them and didn’t see any NSBM ties. Good - they check out!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #307 on: July 01, 2019, 11:54:25 AM »
Now that I’ve sampled everything I can list what I like:

* represents a favorite

Heavy metal which includes NWOBHM*
Thrash
Speed
Doom*
Stoner Doom*
Sludge
Power*
Black*
Atmospheric black*
Post-black

I don’t like:

Death
Prog, with the caveat that there are some good prog bands like Queensrÿche
Nu
Core

I’ve got enough bands here to last me quite a while basically.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #308 on: July 01, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »
i love when black metal powers through to basically euphoria. i always liked vattnet viskar but never listened to astronoid, doing it now and having a lovely time of it.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #309 on: July 01, 2019, 03:32:25 PM »
I really enjoyed most of the Air album.
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »
btw i was listening to Death the other day in my car. i dropped something off for someone and when I saw them I rolled down the windows to give to them, and they laughed at me listening to Death. :(
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #311 on: July 03, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »

Can't believe you linked EyeHateGod. A black christian linking songs from a band that made this. (Think they changed the song name after Melvins' drummer Dale Crover toured with them though.)

Himu

« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »
Didn’t know. They’re now off the list.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #313 on: July 03, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
I google any black metal band I listen to for nsbm ties. Surprisingly the more I listen to metal the more I don’t care about the anti Christian sentiment. I feel for them, truly. What gets me is the racism. That’s my line and I’m not sure why it’s tolerated within metal.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #314 on: July 03, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »
I've found groups and documents that help people find non-fascist/white supremacist black metal by listing racist bands.

Here's the doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERHBY2aDVQ2_1nhPl_zi1oF4ogZK5PCiDk7hKxBK65Q/htmlview?fbclid=IwAR0GUrqsd6kHRLZraCbSPrkWUjPOEkCg4SUjIqzvmCV0zHf_5ndKp5KqtPY

Adding to OP.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #315 on: July 03, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
DEATH METAL SUCKS!

that was good :obama
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:08:11 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #316 on: July 03, 2019, 02:38:52 PM »

Apparently I've got a death metal band on my like list.

What kind of death metal is this? This doesn't make me want to kill myself.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 02:54:33 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #317 on: July 03, 2019, 02:55:01 PM »
I will say that after Human and Leprosy that I *like* Death. So maybe it's a matter of getting used to the genre.

Death especially clicked when I watched them live. It felt like a more heavy version of thrash.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #318 on: July 03, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
maybe you it slow and/or brutal :idont :dead

I do. It's why I gravitated to black and like doom. It can be slower and with an emphasis on atmosphere. Unlike what a lot of edgy extreme metalheads think, FAST != HEAVY. Black Sabbath's self titled song is one of the heaviest, if not THE heaviest songs I've ever heard and it's slow as balls. Slowness allows you to soak every note, every beat. Slowness allows a heavy, thick atmosphere.

SPEED != HEAVY

The songs you posted are pretty good and much better than the death metal I usually hear.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #319 on: July 03, 2019, 03:15:58 PM »
Fast is great but not when EVERY SONG IS FAST just because the bands wants to show off how fast they are.

Speed is excellent when used as an implicit artistic goal within a song. What emotion does it convey? What is the band trying to say?

If it's meant to show nothing, then what's the point of the music?

Take Peace Sells. It starts with a slow bass line and the entire song is about anger and frustration with a never ending system that produces war, death, and systemic apathy, which makes the final minute of it all the therapeutic when it goes dog raw with feet stamping speed. Is it as fast a lot of death metal bands? No, but the point is made.

This is of course MY OPINION, which I am highlighting because I don't think it's objective, but for my tastes I prefer music that conveys a meaning through its sound. Certain tempos for instance convey an emotion and mood.

IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #320 on: July 03, 2019, 03:30:32 PM »
I've found groups and documents that help people find non-fascist/white supremacist black metal by listing racist bands.

Here's the doc.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ERHBY2aDVQ2_1nhPl_zi1oF4ogZK5PCiDk7hKxBK65Q/htmlview?fbclid=IwAR0GUrqsd6kHRLZraCbSPrkWUjPOEkCg4SUjIqzvmCV0zHf_5ndKp5KqtPY

Adding to OP.

If I can't do nazi salutes at my black metal shows, then it isn't black metal

Himu

« Reply #321 on: July 03, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
fast can be good too, unless its speed for speed's sake (see: Dark Angel). some of the complexity, and this shit knocks :lawd

I'm a hardcore Morbid Angel fanboy, maybe give this album a try.

:obama

Good shit.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #322 on: July 03, 2019, 03:47:15 PM »
i've posted this somewhere before, but still the most "...woah" album i've heard in years:

minimalist slow burn funeral doom. bleaker than a snuff studio in an orphanage.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #323 on: July 03, 2019, 03:52:31 PM »
Try some atmospheric death. It doesn't hold up to repeat listens, but I think it'd be easy to get into.

https://music.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2019, 04:08:26 PM »
Did you listen to My Dying Bride?

Try this song. It's probably one of the most accessible points into their music.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #325 on: July 03, 2019, 04:20:38 PM »

I do. It's why I gravitated to black and like doom. It can be slower and with an emphasis on atmosphere. Unlike what a lot of edgy extreme metalheads think, FAST != HEAVY. Black Sabbath's self titled song is one of the heaviest, if not THE heaviest songs I've ever heard and it's slow as balls. Slowness allows you to soak every note, every beat. Slowness allows a heavy, thick atmosphere.

What you need is Burning Witch's masterpiece.

skullstorm

« Reply #326 on: July 03, 2019, 04:24:31 PM »
Can't believe you linked EyeHateGod. A black christian linking songs from a band that made this. (Think they changed the song name after Melvins' drummer Dale Crover toured with them though.)

I don't buy that they're racists or that's a racist song (not that I can make out the lyrics lol), they've been asked about it loads of times and they categorically deny being racist or the song being racist, the name was for dumb shock value and they regret giving it that name since it's forever painted them as racists in some people's eyes. Apparently they took the name from a song by the Avengers but I don't know if the Avengers have been called a racist band because of their song.

I mean, make your own mind up about the song and the band, if you feel like they're nazis then whatever, but I just don't see that. Yeah the name is really fucking stupid (and yeah they've changed it since) but they've got other songs with pretty dumb names too. I guess even the band's name is pretty dumb.

Anyway I'm pretty sure there are still some people that think Black Flag and Minor Threat are secret nazi bands too, sooo....  :doge

Himu

« Reply #327 on: July 03, 2019, 04:28:32 PM »

What you need is Burning Witch's masterpiece.

:gladbron

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #328 on: July 03, 2019, 04:32:34 PM »

I don't buy that they're racists or that's a racist song (not that I can make out the lyrics lol), they've been asked about it loads of times and they categorically deny being racist or the song being racist, the name was for dumb shock value and they regret giving it that name since it's forever painted them as racists in some people's eyes. Apparently they took the name from a song by the Avengers but I don't know if the Avengers have been called a racist band because of their song.

I mean, make your own mind up about the song and the band, if you feel like they're nazis then whatever, but I just don't see that. Yeah the name is really fucking stupid (and yeah they've changed it since) but they've got other songs with pretty dumb names too. I guess even the band's name is pretty dumb.

Anyway I'm pretty sure there are still some people that think Black Flag and Minor Threat are secret nazi bands too, sooo....  :doge

Loads of their songs are for shock value. They have a two parter called Sister Fucker part 1 and 2. I imagine most of it being tongue-in-cheek.

They also come from New Orleans which is majority afro-american. I imagine being a true racist fuckhead in that place would get pretty rough.

(Edited in the quote)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 04:39:27 PM by HardcoreRetro »

Himu

« Reply #329 on: July 03, 2019, 04:38:00 PM »
No they're from Seattle.

They're a doom metal band. I love doom/sludge metal.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Burning_Witch/1042
IYKYK

skullstorm

« Reply #330 on: July 03, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
No he meant Eyehategod

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #331 on: July 03, 2019, 04:45:15 PM »
Think the people in Burning Witch ended up forming Sunn O))

Which is drone.

Himu

« Reply #332 on: July 03, 2019, 04:46:27 PM »
They changed the name and the band seems sorry for it so I might add them back to the list.

https://clrvynt.com/jimmy-bower-interview/

Seems less racist and more "stupid white boy shit" so I can cut them some slack because it'd impossible to listen to anything in this genre if I passed over every band for the stupid white boy shit that they do. The "you can't be racist if you live in New Orleans" thing is also especially stupid if you have read a passing glance of what happened during Hurricane Katrina.
IYKYK

Brehvolution

« Reply #333 on: July 03, 2019, 04:57:01 PM »
Not sure what these fall under.

©ZH

Himu

« Reply #334 on: July 03, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »
Not sure what these fall under.

they fall under head banging

:rock
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #335 on: July 03, 2019, 05:05:39 PM »

Himu

« Reply #336 on: July 03, 2019, 05:08:46 PM »
I will be pirating Pantera when I listen. Kiss my ass, Phil.

Stupid white boy shit.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #337 on: July 03, 2019, 05:36:42 PM »
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #338 on: July 03, 2019, 05:48:56 PM »
If you ain't stumbled across Jesu they might be something you fux with. Their first EP is 2 songs with a total running time of like 40 minutes.

Other stuff isn't quite as ridiculously long but still a fun time.
Hi

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #339 on: July 03, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »
Why even pirate Pantera. It's five finger death punch for boomers.

skullstorm

« Reply #340 on: July 03, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »
Seems less racist and more "stupid white boy shit" so I can cut them some slack because it'd impossible to listen to anything in this genre if I passed over every band for the stupid white boy shit that they do.

Yeah that's pretty much how I've always seen it. A lot of bands have done some pretty dumb shit for shock value, so I usually just think well maybe they're not the brightest but they rock so I can give it a pass if it's not some clear pattern of shittiness.

While I'm on the subject of EHG, this is one of my favorite band shirts that I own, love the nod to Bad Brains (also not a really big nazi thing to do to make a tribute to them):

Himu

« Reply #341 on: July 03, 2019, 06:09:37 PM »
Why even pirate Pantera. It's five finger death punch for boomers.

Are they wack
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #342 on: July 03, 2019, 06:11:02 PM »
Seems less racist and more "stupid white boy shit" so I can cut them some slack because it'd impossible to listen to anything in this genre if I passed over every band for the stupid white boy shit that they do.

Yeah that's pretty much how I've always seen it. A lot of bands have done some pretty dumb shit for shock value, so I usually just think well maybe they're not the brightest but they rock so I can give it a pass if it's not some clear pattern of shittiness.

While I'm on the subject of EHG, this is one of my favorite band shirts that I own, love the nod to Bad Brains (also not a really big nazi thing to do to make a tribute to them):

No one accused them of being Nazis. You can be a racist and not a Nazi.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #343 on: July 03, 2019, 07:45:01 PM »
Bands whose albums I’ve listened to and like in the past month. Before this thread I really only what was on V-Rock, Metallica’s Ride The Lightning, Rage Against The Machine, and Megadeth’s Rust In Piece. I have been baptized in fire.

- Black Sabbath
- Judas Priest
- KISS
- Iron Maiden
- Venom
- Twisted Sister
- Quiet Riot
- Anthrax
- Slayer
- Megadeth
- Metallica
- Manilla Road
- Jag Panzer
- Saxon
- Dio
- Ozzy
- Sleep
- Pentagram
- Angel Witch
- Diamond Head
- Mercyful Fate
- Girlschool
- Tigers of Pan Tang
- Queensryche
- Trouble
- Saint Vitus
- Motörhead
- Opeth
- Butterfly temple
- Death
- Duel
- Blind Guardian
- Ashbringer
- Lantlos
- Demon Bitch
- Manowar
- Testament
- Sepultara
- Witches in the Throne Room
- Sumerlands
- Uncle Acid
- Electric Wizard
- IronFlame

Favorite songs.

Still in the 80’s. I’ve reaches the point where metal splits into various direction. My tastes are traditional (which includes British New Wave), doom, stoner, power, thrash, speed, and atmospheric black. This encompasses A LOT of metal. I’m going to dust off the 80’s with the genres I like and follow them to current day. First metal show is this Friday.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:49:54 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #344 on: July 03, 2019, 07:48:17 PM »
Also Demon Bitch and Sumerlands are the best modern metal bands I’ve heard.

My overall favorite band is Iron Maiden. For once, the most popular band also isn’t shitty.
IYKYK

skullstorm

« Reply #345 on: July 03, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »

No one accused them of being Nazis. You can be a racist and not a Nazi.

Yeah I know lol, it's just how I (and many others, a slang thing) talk in my own language and it seeps in my English writing apparently. I didn't literally mean it, but I was the one who used the word nazi in relation to them in the first place so I was referencing myself. Jokingly.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
But no joke, over here most openly racist people I've met or encountered online are pretty proud to say stuff like "I'm not a racist, I'm a nazi". They think it's so cool lol. My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when a classmate said it totally unironically in front of a bunch of people. Also nazi is a shorter and easier word in Finnish than racist and I'm lazy. Guess I shouldn't use the words interchangeably in English tho since it's not a similar slang thing.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus dat era influence, they label everyone nazis so it's rubbed off on me  :doge :yikes
[close]
[close]

skullstorm

« Reply #346 on: July 03, 2019, 08:30:38 PM »
This thread is pretty cool btw, I'm not a huge metalhead but I still listen to some metal pretty regularly. But I've always been really lazy about finding new stuff, don't know where to start etc. But lately I've been more into metal and now I have a lot of stuff to discover thanks to this thread.

There's been a lot posted that I already know but also a lot that I don't yet know or have never bothered giving a try. I know there'll be stuff I won't like but I'll still listen to all the songs posted in this thread when I get the chance. Looking forward to it

Himu

« Reply #347 on: July 03, 2019, 08:38:37 PM »
Listened to Morbid Angel’s Blessed Are The Sick while doing cardio at the gym at Esch’s request.

The first death metal album I’ve ever fallen in love with.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #348 on: July 03, 2019, 09:55:15 PM »
Also started to listen to Savatage at the behest of Agrajag.m

They kick ass. :rock
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #349 on: July 04, 2019, 12:07:06 AM »
Anyone know where to find original copies of Iron Maiden CDs and vinyl? The remasters don’t sound as good.

IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #350 on: July 04, 2019, 02:28:34 AM »
Discog would be the best bet for originals.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #351 on: July 04, 2019, 02:31:12 AM »
Also, just in case you haven't come across it yet, Angry Metal Guy is probably the only metal blog/site that I can stand reading.

https://www.angrymetalguy.com/

Their reviews are great and the community is pretty good too. Certainly much better than the toxic shit you find elsewhere.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #352 on: July 04, 2019, 03:00:37 AM »
Do they cover a diverse selection of metal?

Good doom ass doom shit.

IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #353 on: July 04, 2019, 03:27:47 AM »
Some more doom/stoner.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2019, 04:25:29 AM »
Do they cover a diverse selection of metal?
Yep. It's a great place to discover new music. The writing is consistently excellent too and the whole site has a professional tone that is absent from most enthusiast websites.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2019, 03:26:31 PM »
Today’s listening:

Metal Massacre 14 and Morbid Angel’s discog starting from their debut Altars of Madness.
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2019, 04:17:04 PM »

This is what I usually jam.

Himu

« Reply #357 on: July 04, 2019, 04:31:09 PM »
Immortal Rites shits on Blessed Are The Sick and that album was great.

The amount of time signature changes and shake ups keeps you on your toes. The solos, guitar work, drum work, are incredible. Any time I tried to predict where the songs go it ends up surprising me.

Brutal fucking album.
IYKYK

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »
superior axe swinging:

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #359 on: July 04, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
Two days until I finally see Converge for the first time live  :aah