Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 137753 times)

Himu

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue
« Reply #1440 on: April 21, 2020, 09:32:03 PM »
Remember the time Toriyama had a press conference and used Lightning art and a vase of flowers to try to sell Lightning Returns? And LR ended up selling worse than FFX HD remaster?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1441 on: April 21, 2020, 09:38:24 PM »
Remember the time Toriyama had a press conference and used Lightning art and a vase of flowers to try to sell Lightning Returns? And LR ended up selling worse than FFX HD remaster?

https://m.

00:54

I still can't believe FF ever fell to such lows.

FF went from a flagship franchise in the world to above video within ten years. Shocking. How he wasn't demoted or Yu Suzuki'd I don't know. He seems to have been demoted. He co-wrote the scenario in 7R. He seems better as a writer than as director as much as I love X-2.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #1442 on: April 21, 2020, 11:15:22 PM »
i started 4 heroes of light the other day, and i gotta say it was pretty fun. it's a simple game so far, but it's obviously meant to emulate 8 bit rpgs without the bullshit. nice change of pace right now.

I hated how you had limited control in battle, you couldn't target enemies or something.. some parts were super challenging iirc. Bravely Default was from the same team and was a major step up over 4HOL.
^_^

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1443 on: April 22, 2020, 04:46:08 AM »
That is some quality happy acoustic jpop right there :marimo
Hi

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
QED

Himu

« Reply #1445 on: April 22, 2020, 02:05:49 PM »
Still haven't beaten this because then it will be over :tocry
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1446 on: April 22, 2020, 02:11:34 PM »

I really liked the ending and was happy to finally beat the game, but then I realized it's going to be at least 2 years to see what happens next. :tocry
dog

Himu

« Reply #1447 on: April 22, 2020, 02:13:18 PM »

I really liked the ending and was happy to finally beat the game, but then I realized it's going to be at least 2 years to see what happens next. :tocry

That's why I'm savoring it. But then I also don't wanna be spoiled.

So conflicted :tocry
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1448 on: April 22, 2020, 02:24:56 PM »
Can’t wait for the 10 page meltdown when you see the ending  :-[
Margs

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1449 on: April 22, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
My favourite part of this game is that my favourite let's play group got back together after 2 years to do shitty inane commentary on this game.

Thanks Final Fantasy and thanks corona.

Himu

« Reply #1450 on: April 22, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
Holy shit. They did it. They're replicating the experience of playing FFVII again. One big part of that games legacy was online discussion and theories/interpretations about the ending. And they're encouraging it happening again. Bah gawd :lawd
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1451 on: April 22, 2020, 03:58:19 PM »

Let's bet 50 dollars
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #1452 on: April 22, 2020, 04:28:14 PM »
Hell I haven't even gotten to Wall Market yet.  :doge  Gonna be a long haul for me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:40:13 AM by Svejk »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #1453 on: April 22, 2020, 05:08:30 PM »

Let's bet 50 dollars

How many Shonda alts are there  :existential
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #1454 on: April 23, 2020, 02:18:59 AM »
I can't beat these 3 weapons on a rampage MK II monodrives :(

I'm hitting them with magic as aerith but AI cloud is fucking stupid and just keeps stabbing them being no help at all. And they murder both of us since there's 3 of them spamming fira and ground attacks and dash attacks. 2 of them was manageable, but 3 is destroying my team.

Any tips

Bebpo

« Reply #1455 on: April 23, 2020, 02:26:45 AM »
nm, got it. Jesus fuck that was too hard.

Himu

« Reply #1456 on: April 23, 2020, 02:41:49 AM »

:confused
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1457 on: April 23, 2020, 07:23:28 AM »
It's one of the side quests in chapter 8.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #1459 on: April 23, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »

I'm hitting them with magic as aerith but AI cloud is fucking stupid and just keeps stabbing them being no help at all. And they murder both of us since there's 3 of them spamming fira and ground attacks and dash attacks. 2 of them was manageable, but 3 is destroying my team.

Any tips
You'll encounter them again, but they're pretty easy once you learn their strategy:
1.Mainly focus on melee/dps to get them down
2. They'll pop a magic shield that goes down with (iirc) one basic magic attack
3. Keep your melee damage up with thrust & other attacks as they get pressured and interrupted at an extremely fast rate

You can take them down within seconds as long as you can partition a quick magic use during that phase.

it took me about 4-6 magic attacks to get a single shield down. I did as much melee dps as possible before the shield but then it would me minutes of magic blasting and having to consistently use atb to heal just to hopefully get a shield down and then rushdown melee and hope to kill it before shield up again, repeat x 3. Maybe I was just underleveled. I found all the ch.8 sidequest bosses pretty tough, but that was the worst. The others at least just had status effects to avoid vs. no damage immunity staggering your other character and then stunlocking and fucking them with attacks from 3 enemies at once almost instant wiping them.

Himu

« Reply #1461 on: April 23, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
Aerith the queen no gender can deny :lawd

My girl
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1462 on: April 23, 2020, 01:20:50 PM »
Real talk I don't even know what enemy Bebpo is even referring to. :lol
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1463 on: April 23, 2020, 02:11:21 PM »
those little flying eyeballs with the spinal cord thing hanging from them

i had trouble with that fight at first too. i think if you hit them with a spell when you can see the shield around them, that will dispel the shield and allow you to hit them with physical attacks.
pcp

Bebpo

« Reply #1465 on: April 23, 2020, 03:01:36 PM »

Floating blue squids with physical shields that if you attack them your attacks bounce off and you have to pelt them with multiple magic attacks (which still do zero damage) to lower their shield and get more actual damage hits in.
Meanwhile there's 3 of them and you can't visually keep all of them on-screen so you get fucked out of nowhere by attacks from the 1 or 2 out of screen and your partner AI is absolutely useless because they just keep hitting physical and doing no damage and their atb fills slow as fuck.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1467 on: April 23, 2020, 03:39:39 PM »

The floating jellyfish / squids / whatever the fuck they are.

You encounter the regular version as early as the first reactor mission, the "mark II" ones are the upgraded blue ones that can be a pain in the ass.

edit: those

Himu

« Reply #1468 on: April 23, 2020, 04:06:48 PM »
I don't remember this fight. Glad you got past it Bebpo.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1469 on: April 23, 2020, 04:33:29 PM »
It's a side mission in Chapter 8 - Weapons on Rampage

Check your quest history (press touchpad -> Quests)
fat

Himu

« Reply #1470 on: April 23, 2020, 04:34:35 PM »
Oh those things.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #1471 on: April 23, 2020, 04:47:48 PM »
Yeah, I think the AI is just small supplemental atb+dmg so that you're forced to switch around and experiment. When you get a Guest party member they put in major work.

To gain major ATB while waiting on a shielded enemy just force yourself to get hit with either guard or Punisher mode for a huge boost to ATB which can be used for abilities/spells.

That kind of ATB struggle really only exists in Chapter 8 when you're solo with Aerith.

If it's a physical attack parrying with Punisher or guarding in general is great. If it's a magic attack you should be able to see their magic name pop up on the corner of the screen and you should be able to dodge it.

Oh, also Aerith can build ATB on shielded enemies just by holding attack and using tempest.

Yeah, after the fight I saw the materia that builds ATB while guarding and thought that would've been good for that fight.

I still don't understand Aerith's tempest attack. The initial tutorial screen on it said something about waiting until later in the fight to use it because it builds up something? Can you explain this to me. All I know is it fires some damage and more when you hold it in.

Bebpo

« Reply #1472 on: April 23, 2020, 04:54:26 PM »
Also, stopped at Wall Market last night.

Absolutely loving this game. The combat is so good (outside those dumb blue orb guys) that I'd put this up there with top5 best jrpg battle systems ever. The 1 on 1 fights are awesome and feel like KH data battles but easier. I like how the move name pops up before the animation starts so not only do you have animation tells but you can watch those and dodge/guard/parry accordingly and then counter. The 2nd half of the Rude fight was sick af learning dodge routines for each of his attacks and countering. Felt like a really good character action game. The big bosses where you're juggling between party members and attacking different parts and buffing/debuffing and hitting weaknesses is very satisfying.

The cutscenes/story stuff is great too and it looks like a CG movie in motion.

My only complaints are sometimes the long corridor runs start giving me FFXIII flashbacks of cut & paste repetition but luckily they end/vary up much sooner than FFXIII. This game definitely shows how FFXIII really fucked it up because FFXIII/FFX/FFVIIr are essentially the same design gameplay model. The difference being that FFXIII had a shit story which wasn't compelling at all to guide the experience and the areas went on too long and didn't have enough branching variety so they just felt like walking down a tunnel.

And I'm gonna be a dick and say I've never been a huge Hamuazu fan. Blinded by Light is dope, but otherwise most of his stuff sounds pretty same-y and doesn't give me that FF feel that other FF composers bring. I'm enjoying the soundtrack, but I think I'd have liked the soundtrack better if another SE composer had done it like Shimomura or my favorite new age boy Ishimoto (Crisis Core ost >>> this).

Coffee Dog

« Reply #1473 on: April 23, 2020, 05:01:52 PM »
as a kingdom hearts fan, it's causing me a nonzero amount of distress that everyone is fine with a game's plot doing cartwheels just to bring an "ENDLESS SPECULATION AND THEORIES" hype/marketing machine into existence

we were the real xehanorts all along  :tocry
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:07:54 PM by Coffee Dog »

Boredfrom

« Reply #1474 on: April 23, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »
as a kingdom hearts fan, it's causing me a nonzero amount of distress that everyone is fine with a game's plot doing cartwheels just to bring an "ENDLESS SPECULATION AND THEORIES" hype/marketing machine into existence

we were the real xehanorts all along  :tocry

Eh, lets be honest, this is way more coherent than Kingdom Hearts and the twist is actually a smart meta commentary (and that is impressive given current SQ Enix recent horrible track record). Is probably going to end as a clusterfuck but at least this story is impressive compared with other modern SquareEnix games.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1475 on: April 23, 2020, 06:51:35 PM »
Yeah, after the fight I saw the materia that builds ATB while guarding and thought that would've been good for that fight.

I still don't understand Aerith's tempest attack. The initial tutorial screen on it said something about waiting until later in the fight to use it because it builds up something? Can you explain this to me. All I know is it fires some damage and more when you hold it in.

I don't know about it "building up later in the fight" but you can hold triangle to make it stronger (the circle fills up).

Tempest is pretty garbo though, so don't fret too much about it. I just used Aeris to heal me or use magic.
fat

Rman

« Reply #1476 on: April 23, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
Beat. Amazing game. 

Bebpo

« Reply #1477 on: April 23, 2020, 07:17:23 PM »

I don't know about it "building up later in the fight" but you can hold triangle to make it stronger (the circle fills up).

Tempest is pretty garbo though, so don't fret too much about it. I just used Aeris to heal me or use magic.

Thanks, Aerith is actually my favorite character to play as so far because that arcane ward spell + magic being a beast = DPS spam. I just put that ward down and chill in it as much as possible firing double -ra version of spells the enemies are weak against and using ether. I also gave her the refocus limit break to get 3 bars so her atb fills even faster and it's just nothing but double magic spamming over and over. Total beast DPS character.

Rman

« Reply #1478 on: April 23, 2020, 08:14:13 PM »
No spoiler impressions and final review:

+Great character work. The characters come alive in this modern retelling. 
+Amazing music. This OST is incredible.  I loved how it is done like a movie soundtrack with the leitmotifs of familiar songs being used in new arrangements.
+Battle system is very good.  I was skeptical since I hated KH action RPGs nonsense, but still retains a lot of the originals battle system--materia, limits, and so on. Each of the 4 characters is very fun to play and unique. Much more differentiation than the original.
+Cutscenes are amazing. This makes Advent Children look like a tech demo.

-Some pacing issues in some chapters.
-A little too linear.
-Maps needed a bit more variety.

It's a solid A for me. Not A+, but an A effort.

Rman

« Reply #1479 on: April 23, 2020, 08:16:52 PM »

Thanks, Aerith is actually my favorite character to play as so far because that arcane ward spell + magic being a beast = DPS spam. I just put that ward down and chill in it as much as possible firing double -ra version of spells the enemies are weak against and using ether. I also gave her the refocus limit break to get 3 bars so her atb fills even faster and it's just nothing but double magic spamming over and over. Total beast DPS character.

Aerith is God in this game lol.  I love it because she was wack AF in the OG.

Himu

« Reply #1480 on: April 23, 2020, 09:15:43 PM »
Tempest is good. Charge it. Win game.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #1481 on: April 24, 2020, 03:33:51 PM »
I just finished, if Square can maintain this level of quality in the writing and localization department I’m all aboard for
spoiler (click to show/hide)
the new stuff at the timeline
[close]

I wish that the second game will become more open or at least the town areas become like the wall market. I don’t need a open world but I want to feel like I’m exploring rather than going along in the corridors (they were not that bad, but still).

Excellent game, I feel this is Square learning about doing their best with their new sensibilities and limitations than affected them during the beginning of the HD era.

Himu

« Reply #1482 on: April 24, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
How long is the Shinra building? I'll make a save before the Shinra building and a save after, beat the game and go back to old content so I can participate in ending talk and keep playing.
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1483 on: April 24, 2020, 04:42:38 PM »
How long is the Shinra building? I'll make a save before the Shinra building and a save after, beat the game and go back to old content so I can participate in ending talk and keep playing.

Around 6-8 hours
©@©™

Himu

« Reply #1484 on: April 24, 2020, 05:06:16 PM »
Damn. Might as well finish everything then.
IYKYK

Boredfrom

« Reply #1485 on: April 24, 2020, 05:14:45 PM »
The Hojo lab sections drags on a lot. My least favorite part of the game.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1486 on: April 24, 2020, 05:17:18 PM »
The only replay you need to do is HARD MODE biatch
fat

Boredfrom

« Reply #1487 on: April 24, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »
The Hojo lab sections drags on a lot. My least favorite part of the game.
I thought the artificial sun dungeon stunk a lot like some of the worse FFXV parts, but I liked the Hojo part because it was kinda giving ff6 vibes.

The artificial sun stuff was an actual dungeon, thought. Hojo lab was mostly “here is a fake puzzle” and the point of “Hojo is a fucking nutcase with zero regard for life”  was already clear, I didn’t need 4 rooms for that.

Himu

« Reply #1488 on: April 24, 2020, 07:14:57 PM »
How about some fucking spoiler tags.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1489 on: April 24, 2020, 08:37:06 PM »
How about you beat the game over the weekend so you don't have to cry about it biatch
fat

Rman

« Reply #1490 on: April 24, 2020, 09:00:58 PM »
How about you beat the game over the weekend so you don't have to cry about it biatch
The game is long AF lol.  I only beat quickly since I was laid off lol and no one is hiring :(

Bebpo

« Reply #1491 on: April 25, 2020, 05:11:43 AM »
Did the honeybee stuff tonight. That was so fucking good!

Also the arena battles are pretty fun because the combat is just that good.
I wish we could get a Grandia X dungeon crawler spin-off out of this series because the combat is so much fun.

Japan's really been on fire this gen after a lot of lackluster since PS2 days. So many top notch games lately from Japan.

Svejk

« Reply #1492 on: April 25, 2020, 12:10:02 PM »
Finally got to Wall Market!  :-[ Pretty awesome, and open space too.  Gonna be honest, this game wouldn't almost be as awesome as it is if it weren't for the tunez. Don't get me wrong; the combat is pure joy and the aesthetics are spot on, but one of my biggest fears was that they'd practically use a new score (looking at you, Lunar:SSSC!  :punch), but they really seemed to use the OG score in such a satisfying way.   :rejoice

Boredfrom

« Reply #1493 on: April 25, 2020, 03:49:45 PM »
I was thinking about this an realized that:

If Zack is in the same timeline like the rest of the game cast, he will totally going to also get mind controles by Sephiroth, every SOLDIER has Jenova cells on them, after all.
[close]

That is a way to preserve the drama while explaining where he has been.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1494 on: April 25, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
damn did they really have to show

wedge AND his cats eating it? stomp my heart out why don't you

and way to fuck up one of the heaviest moments in the game by putting in a random cait sith appearance. no one gives a fuck about what he was up to, and i'd imagine it'd be extra random for new players. good job completely pulling people out of the moment.
[close]
pcp

Himu

« Reply #1495 on: April 25, 2020, 08:32:09 PM »
damn did they really have to show

and way to fuck up one of the heaviest moments in the game by putting in a random cait sith appearance. no one gives a fuck about what he was up to, and i'd imagine it'd be extra random for new players. good job completely pulling people out of the moment.
[close]

agreed. only dumb part of the game

i hate that character and anyone that likes him

why couldn't you just show reeve. Fuck.
[close]
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #1496 on: April 25, 2020, 09:24:50 PM »
Spoilers RE:Positive Touch and Cindi
I like it because it makes sense why he'd be there, and I also think that it'd be easier to explain him when that time comes.
[close]

It does nothing for new players though and is too meta. You have to be in on it and it ruins the scene outside of that.
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1497 on: April 25, 2020, 09:37:35 PM »
Spoilers RE:Positive Touch and Cindi
I like it because it makes sense why he'd be there, and I also think that it'd be easier to explain him when that time comes.
[close]

It does nothing for new players though and is too meta. You have to be in on it and it ruins the scene outside of that.

it woulda made sense to show reeve, because he was already complaining about the event earlier. they coulda had cait blurred out in the background for observant players to notice or something, if they really wanted to put him in there. it didn't even make sense for him to be there, because he was for reeve to spy with and reeve coulda looked out the fucking window instead
[close]

whatever, this game still rules.
pcp

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #1498 on: April 25, 2020, 10:43:55 PM »
ah, i can see that
pcp

Svejk

« Reply #1499 on: April 26, 2020, 02:22:33 PM »
Just got to the sewers.  That boss was annoying af.  The Corneo arena was cake compared to it... Hell house was fun, but not difficult at all compared to that sewer boss and his stupid tsunamis.

Got the squat trophy on my third try.  Crushed it by almost 20 squats over.  I think the key thing for me was turning down the distracting music.  Made a world of difference to maintain good rhythm. 

However... Did I miss a bunch of stuff in Chapter 9??  Where's the dress scenes at the clothes shop? Also, did they remove the part where Cloud gets chased around the room then you turn around and fuck everybody up?  I was looking forward to that... Having mixed feelings about some of the changes.... Still enjoying the shit outta it... Just, huh...