Author Topic: Corona Thread |OT| Nu variant, who dis?  (Read 1084158 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Corona Thread |OT| Money-printer goes BRRRR
« Reply #6240 on: April 13, 2020, 04:14:27 AM »
COVID-19 hasn't killed anyone in the surrounding counties in over a week, and the total for the year is three people. Also only one new case and it predates last week, the person was just late to report into the hospital. This means I'm on the downside of the curve and thus invincible right, going to immediately return to my pre-social distancing procedures of getting in people's carts, licking everything in sight, and attending tight-quarter large scale human events.

modwhining
Whitmer apparently considered shutting down all retail stores indefinitely but got talked out of it for the stupidity it is. This is probably more politics-thread jabber but the dichotomy between the national media talking about her as a rising star and likely VP due to the great response, versus the local media basically just dragging her for all her failures and the fact that she's done basically nothing but issue orders with disclaimers about how they're not to be enforced is stark. Detroit's been the only place with any kind of real outbreak and the DMZ built around the city plus strong local response has done more than Whitmer's statewide orders that have no enforcement provisions. She's also got her own little "resources being sent to politically favorable places that need them less versus sending it all to the Detroit area" scandal brewing. So good on her for showing that maybe she is ready to move up to Senator or so.
[close]

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6241 on: April 13, 2020, 04:22:37 AM »
I think there's gonna be some mood whiplash when governments will relax current measures, which is bound to happen in the next few months. There will absolutely be a "cost-benefit analysis" of what level of infection & mortality is tolerable. Social desertification will drive people batty before too long.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6242 on: April 13, 2020, 06:00:12 AM »
I've been looking at cool face masks.

Essentially we can all look like Bane, Hideo Kojima or Deus Ex characters

Or if you are james a Pikachu print

Meanwhile we can walk up to the normies and ask them if they have seen the DARPA CHIEF
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:05:10 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #6243 on: April 13, 2020, 06:09:55 AM »
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1249336590482243585

"Special thanks to Jenny from NZ and Luis from Portugal".

Oh the irony.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6244 on: April 13, 2020, 07:35:55 AM »
So our government wants an APP.

They announced last Friday that we could all submit plans, the deadline to submit a plan ends Tuesday 12:00.
The app must be deployed 2 weeks after submitting the plan. There's of course a whole series of rules and regulations that must be met.
You can also submit a plan for an app for the 'transition' phase when we lift the lockdown.

This can't possibly go wrong, which is why I'm trying to still submit a plan with less than 24 hours left despite not having started on it yet.  :teehee

I'm now working on two plans:

My plan:
- Everyone gets automatic locks on doors and windows and is isolated in their homes
- Everyone gets an app
- Everyone gets a test
- If you don't test your are locked in your home
- When you submit your test, you get a QR code in return
- This code can only be scanned with the app, so you don't know if you have corona chan or not before you scan it

SCAN NEGATIVE
- Locks released, enjoy your life

SCAN POSITIVE
- Locks engaged, placed in isolation
- App will monitor your vitals and automatically order food and other necessities delivered through a cat door
- If you get critical a drone ambulance pick you up to be delivered to the ICU

KILL SWITCH
- Like in the Dark Knight, both the government and general population pick 5 represenatives who each control a 'kiil switch' to disable this system
- When someone clicks the Kill Switch once, it simulates what will happen to the population based on the most recent data (number of deaths, economy etc.)
- When they click the kill Switch again the Kill Switches of all reps lit up, if they click they see the same simulation
- When they click again the system is destroyed
- If a rep dies, the system chooses a new rep at random

Co-workers plan:
- Crypto solution to decentralize health data gathering or something

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:58:29 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6245 on: April 13, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-health-canada-approves-new-rapid-covid-testing-kits/

Health Canada has approved a new rapid test for COVID-19 that can produce results in under an hour, which is expected to alleviate the pressure on public health laboratories and help circumvent testing kit shortages.

Ottawa-based Spartan Bioscience received approval on the weekend and will be ready to start shipping tests for the federal and provincial governments as early as Monday, said Paul Lem, the company’s chief executive officer.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6246 on: April 13, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/coronavirus-class-war-labor/

https://www.propublica.org/article/coronavirus-er-doctors-nurses-benefits

Alteon Health, backed by private-equity firms Frazier Healthcare Partners and New Mountain Capital, will cut salaries, time off and retirement benefits for providers, citing lost revenue. Several hospital operators announced similar cuts. 
Emergency room doctors and nurses many of whom are dealing with an onslaught of coronavirus patients and shortages of protective equipment — are now finding out that their compensation is getting cut.

Most ER providers in the U.S. work for staffing companies that have contracts with hospitals. Those staffing companies are losing revenue as hospitals postpone elective procedures and non-coronavirus patients avoid emergency rooms. Health insurers are processing claims more slowly as they adapt to a remote workforce.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6248 on: April 13, 2020, 01:37:31 PM »
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/04/13/ontario-building-massive-health-database-to-aid-covid-19-response.html

Groups involved in the project include the non-profit Compute Ontario, which will manage the platform; provincial superagency Ontario Health; the health research institute ICES; the Toronto-based Vector Institute for Artificial Intelligence; and Queen’s University. The Centre for Advanced Computing at Queen’s will host the platform, the Health Ministry said.

:pimp

spoiler (click to show/hide)
When Vector put out the call to work on Covid stuff, I was like LOL nope, got better things to do.  #shame

My supervisor is doing cool Covid stuff at one of the hospitals though.
[close]

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6249 on: April 13, 2020, 02:20:19 PM »
The 600/wk is ON TOP of unemployment benefit?

So there’s no way this isn’t going to be more than my actual salary, I just want to thank you all for my neet bucks

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6250 on: April 13, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »
God bless :rejoice
(ice)

Tripon

« Reply #6251 on: April 13, 2020, 02:22:09 PM »

So there’s no way this isn’t going to be more than my actual salary, I just want to thank you all for my neet bucks

Aren't you in Florida? Are you even able to sign up? I heard Florida's UI system is particularly fuckery.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6252 on: April 13, 2020, 02:25:51 PM »
Oregon. I got my letter of estimated benefit thing today

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6253 on: April 13, 2020, 03:09:40 PM »
French lockdown extended to May 11th.
At this date daycares, schools and everything below universities should reopen. Bars, restaurants, cafés, etc... will stay closed.

Large gatherings (concerts, protest marches...) are not happening before mid-July at best.

Conditions will be relaxed for families to visit their agonizing relatives in hospitals and elder care institutions. That one sounds pretty grim.

Macron says that by May 11th, capacity to test everyone "with symptoms" will be there.
Also by that date a "general population mask" (cloth, I imagine...) should be available for everyone and they might become mandatory to wear.
France being France, he immediately detailed by saying that actually on May 11th the national authorities will make contact with every mayor to set up that "gen pop mask" thing so I wouldn't bet on every citizen having his before May 25th  :doge

More economic packages to support partial unemployment benefits (furloughed with pay, basically) and poor families.

A lot of flowery words (apparently the spin doctors advised to quit the war rhetoric to be more compassionate) that doesn't cost a lot to say. Macron admitted that France was, manifestly, "not enough prepared" which is as much of a mea culpa he'll cop to... For now. But I think he's smart enough to know that the floodgate of criticism will open wide at one point imminently. I expect manifestations of humility to ramp up in the coming weeks.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6254 on: April 13, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »
There's also plans for an opt-in app using Bluetooth / proximity, reportedly.

Macron also called for a "massive write off" of African countries debt to help them fight the virus. Will probably live as long as it takes for a "NEIN" to be uttered, but he wouldn't be a French President if he didn't work on looking good at no cost.
ὕβρις

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6255 on: April 13, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »
Conditions will be relaxed for families to visit their agonizing relatives

phrasing

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6256 on: April 13, 2020, 04:14:51 PM »
https://apnews.com/fe0244481b222600528e0950a17f6aab

Some athletes under a doping ban might be eligible for the Olympics. :lol
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6258 on: April 13, 2020, 05:10:30 PM »
Tangential but Macron also has thrown shade to mayors who took additional measures (Paris recently banned jogging between 10am and 7pm, some cities tried to make masks mandatory, imposed curfews or restricted the sale of alcohol) by reminding that the rules should be the same for everyone and everywhere.
ὕβρις

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6259 on: April 13, 2020, 05:20:54 PM »
 :lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6260 on: April 13, 2020, 05:22:56 PM »
US has had two decent days.  Hope its a trend that NY and NJ are starting to get under control. 

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #6261 on: April 13, 2020, 05:30:03 PM »
US has had two decent days.  Hope its a trend that NY and NJ are starting to get under control.

I wish but I expect a nasty rebound when all the stats that were pending this weekends come out at once.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6262 on: April 13, 2020, 05:41:32 PM »
So our government wants an APP.

They announced last Friday that we could all submit plans, the deadline to submit a plan ends Tuesday 12:00.
The app must be deployed 2 weeks after submitting the plan. There's of course a whole series of rules and regulations that must be met.
You can also submit a plan for an app for the 'transition' phase when we lift the lockdown.

This can't possibly go wrong, which is why I'm trying to still submit a plan with less than 24 hours left despite not having started on it yet.  :teehee

I'm now working on two plans:

My plan:
- Everyone gets automatic locks on doors and windows and is isolated in their homes
- Everyone gets an app
- Everyone gets a test
- If you don't test your are locked in your home
- When you submit your test, you get a QR code in return
- This code can only be scanned with the app, so you don't know if you have corona chan or not before you scan it

SCAN NEGATIVE
- Locks released, enjoy your life

SCAN POSITIVE
- Locks engaged, placed in isolation
- App will monitor your vitals and automatically order food and other necessities delivered through a cat door
- If you get critical a drone ambulance pick you up to be delivered to the ICU

KILL SWITCH
- Like in the Dark Knight, both the government and general population pick 5 represenatives who each control a 'kiil switch' to disable this system
- When someone clicks the Kill Switch once, it simulates what will happen to the population based on the most recent data (number of deaths, economy etc.)
- When they click the kill Switch again the Kill Switches of all reps lit up, if they click they see the same simulation
- When they click again the system is destroyed
- If a rep dies, the system chooses a new rep at random

Co-workers plan:
- Crypto solution to decentralize health data gathering or something
Update:

I opted to watch Jojo Rabbit with 2 buddies (of course keeping our distance, OLED FTW  8)) and started drinking afterwards.
We therefor decided my co-workers idea is probably better and we'll finish that first thing tomorrow morning.
I'm sorta surprised he managed to find a way to keep the government out of the data collection using crypto. :yeshrug
🤴

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #6263 on: April 13, 2020, 05:49:45 PM »

I no longer know if things are bad, better, or worse anymore.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6266 on: April 13, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »
Someone who knows how to put their ego aside for the greater good. :rejoice

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6267 on: April 13, 2020, 06:26:20 PM »
I'm so glad all of this is gonna be over by next week!

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #6268 on: April 13, 2020, 07:11:55 PM »

Tripon

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:25:55 PM by Tripon »

Tasty

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6271 on: April 13, 2020, 07:51:02 PM »
Not only that but the federal small business loans don't apply to the gaming industry :itagaki

And to top it all off, the unemployment system has been completely falling over and lots of people I know can't sign up. Basically what I'm saying is that shit's extremely fucked if the federal government doesn't shape up soon

totally unrelated to anything, there are a lot of guns of here
每天生气

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6272 on: April 13, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »
At Shosta Sr.'s job (the airport) they were giving people 0 hours but keeping them employed and telling them they can't apply for unemployment :neogaf

so Shosta Sr. taught a bunch of young kids that anyone who loses a paycheck is eligible :jawalrus shady ass businesses outchea
每天生气

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #6273 on: April 13, 2020, 07:57:28 PM »
https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1249819442768302082
Lol, my middle school was the one that started it in 2002.  :whew

Weird flex but ok.

Not trying to flex, just amazed that this is it’s legacy. During my time there we had a bomb threat one year and they made a tsa checkpoint outside the lunchroom cause they were afraid of a food fight happening. Weird fucking place.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #6274 on: April 13, 2020, 08:37:34 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6275 on: April 13, 2020, 08:40:11 PM »
STILL AIN'T GOT MY CORONA BUX
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6276 on: April 13, 2020, 09:33:01 PM »
Nor have I, direct deposit every year. Haven’t done 2019 tho since they extended to July and I owe

bluemax

« Reply #6277 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:07 PM »
Made my first grocery store trip in over a week.

Things that were good:
- Face coverings required
- Plenty of markers to remind you of distancing
- All aisles 1 way
- More stuff in stock

Things that were bad:
- People who wanted to take 10 years to read labels thus holding things up
- People who ignored the signs and cut ahead or pushed past you or etc.

Highlight:
Fat old white man on a rascal scooter type thing saying "I ain't fucking following their one way signs." Like bruh, you're the one who is most likely gonna get the Rona!

Obviously your random neighborhood super market just doesn't have the personnel to enforce this stuff but it annoyed me how many fucking Karens I had to scowl and sigh at.
NO

Rahxephon91

« Reply #6278 on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:29 PM »
edited
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:54:16 PM by Rahxephon91 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6279 on: April 13, 2020, 09:45:30 PM »
Nor have I, direct deposit every year. Haven’t done 2019 tho since they extended to July and I owe
STILL AIN'T GOT MY CORONA BUX

my bank emailed me and told me to expect it wednesday if i was getting direct deposit

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6280 on: April 13, 2020, 09:56:08 PM »
coincidentally wednesday is also the day flamin hot doritos tacos are available at taco bell. worth noting.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6281 on: April 13, 2020, 10:00:44 PM »
Yeah I see a lot of people getting or should get their bux this week. My bank doesnt show pending online so I'm just going to assume it arrives this week.

Who's onlyfans should I sub to?
fat

bluemax

« Reply #6282 on: April 13, 2020, 10:36:29 PM »
NO

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #6283 on: April 13, 2020, 10:47:14 PM »

looks like Complex's tweet is gone as is whatever pic.twitter it was referring to, probably because the guy was wrong

and also "school shootings" include someone having a gun on school property that accidentally goes off, and some dude driving into the school parking lot and committing suicide
Uncle

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #6284 on: April 13, 2020, 10:48:50 PM »
Mine.

Only if you're filming with your girl.

looks like Complex's tweet is gone as is whatever pic.twitter it was referring to, probably because the guy was wrong

and also "school shootings" include someone having a gun on school property that accidentally goes off, and some dude driving into the school parking lot and committing suicide

Pic.twitter.com is just a Twitter embed/image host for an image embed in the tweet. If the tweet is deleted, so is the embed.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6285 on: April 13, 2020, 10:53:51 PM »
Only if you're filming with your girl.
Dr. Jill?

jorma

« Reply #6286 on: April 14, 2020, 04:00:27 AM »

So the Murican dude loses his FREEDOMS but gets a boatload of neet bucks to compensate while the Swedish dude keeps all of his FREEDOMS but doesn't get a single neet buck.

Corona really is a helluva virus.  :lol

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #6287 on: April 14, 2020, 05:35:43 AM »

nudemacusers

« Reply #6288 on: April 14, 2020, 07:01:47 AM »
Got my coronabux, pay check and incentive pay this morning :whew
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #6289 on: April 14, 2020, 07:32:15 AM »
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6290 on: April 14, 2020, 08:13:34 AM »
Got my coronabux, pay check and incentive pay this morning :whew
Todays Corona Direct

🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6291 on: April 14, 2020, 08:22:55 AM »

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot

Tasty

« Reply #6293 on: April 14, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »

Really don't feel good about the location history tracking Google opened up to gov'ts and the public, and also not a fan of this Apple/Google collaboration to strip more digital rights away.

Scary shit.

This is 9/11 and the Patriot Act all over again. COVID panic might be the tool gov'ts need to finally ban encryption and be applauded for that decision by the electorate.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #6294 on: April 14, 2020, 09:52:04 AM »
social credit score coming any day now and now with location tracking any group of people organizing can be punished instantly for doing so :rollsafe

thisismyusername

« Reply #6295 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »
Really don't feel good about the location history tracking Google opened up to gov'ts and the public, and also not a fan of this Apple/Google collaboration to strip more digital rights away.

Scary shit.

...but you... stan... Googie... *head explodes*

This is 9/11 and the Patriot Act all over again. COVID panic might be the tool gov'ts need to finally ban encryption and be applauded for that decision by the electorate.

Goddamn it, where is that "ehhh,"ish Hide the Pain Harold reaction .gif when I need it.

They can certainly try, but like torrents and piracy, you stomp one encryption standard down, others will raise. They can criminalize it (like piracy) but folks would just continue to use it.

And Apple of all fucking people saying they protect peoples privacy and wouldn't unencrypt shit for the FBI would take a beating in terms of PR and trust if they did.

thisismyusername

« Reply #6296 on: April 14, 2020, 10:17:21 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwittenbergcox/2020/04/13/what-do-countries-with-the-best-coronavirus-reponses-have-in-common-women-leaders/

Ok. Not sure why this needs an article, but this coming across my Facebook feed from feminist democrats is such an "Eva Green popping her eyes out" reaction image.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6297 on: April 14, 2020, 10:21:52 AM »

Scary shit.

it's troubling but also feel kinda crazy because the only ppl worried are super nerds and tech heads like us =/

Leadbelly

« Reply #6298 on: April 14, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/avivahwittenbergcox/2020/04/13/what-do-countries-with-the-best-coronavirus-reponses-have-in-common-women-leaders/

(Image removed from quote.)

Ok. Not sure why this needs an article, but this coming across my Facebook feed from feminist democrats is such an "Eva Green popping her eyes out" reaction image.

That's great and all, but do you notice that we are expected to hold two contradictory ideas in our head?

- Men and women are exactly the same.
- Men and women are different.

It usually goes something like this: Men and women are exactly the same, except when women are portrayed as somehow better. In that case we're different.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #6299 on: April 14, 2020, 10:59:20 AM »
No. Men and women are not the same, but all genders should be treated with equal respect my dude