Author Topic: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread  (Read 3135622 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread
« Reply #22920 on: August 03, 2020, 05:50:36 PM »
Or look even closer to this thread- all the dudes here talking about how meaningful TLOU2 story was, and then slobbering over the next big shooter that's coming, all the anti-violence/revenge stuff they're praising just totally forgotten and ignored.
:crybaby
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22921 on: August 03, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »
Providing free labor for a for profit operation you can’t even put on your CV :girlaff

You know at least a couple will try.
ὕβρις

Rman

« Reply #22922 on: August 03, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »
Why does ERA care so much about the "forum's" reaction to things? What kinda faux morality is that?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22923 on: August 03, 2020, 06:50:33 PM »
But... I honestly do not feel like the staff has ever really made a genuine effort to engage with critical users in a way that did not seem patronizing or, like, outright paternalistic in a very frustrating way, and this happens even when staff actually do walk back their mistake. Beyond maybe the _ Era Meetings. And while I'll always be hopeful... I don't think enough has been improved thanks to them and they've certainly been happening very rarely. And it's 1000% not my place to speak for Asian Era, that is not a community I belong to so do not take this as anything more than my opinion, but- I personally am not exactly encouraged by what I have seen the staff say in the current thread.

Yeah, I was moderating when that thread went down and while my hands are really tied re: talking about what went down on the moderator side of that, I don't think it would be inappropriate to say there were a lot of moderators then that were not thrilled with how that whole thing went down on the staff side of things as well.

"I'm not gonna say anything but let me say..."
 :cmonson
ὕβρις

Yulwei

« Reply #22924 on: August 03, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
It's even more amazing when you realize that this is all happening because the users want more people banned. Just not  from their own personal circlejerk. Only the bigot normies who don't post 200 times a day on ree  :neogaf

Boredfrom

« Reply #22925 on: August 03, 2020, 08:26:05 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/polygon-games-need-to-return-to-black-and-white-morality.261174/

I’m surprised that RE is not for it. 

Also, lol that article is the worst shit...

wait why the fuck is era against this

games with grey morality are the worst kind of both sidesism

"but what if good guys were actually slightly bad...?" no shitlord, bad is bad and good needs to be supported 100% regardless of any short term failings it might have

you can't allow bad to be normalized by enabling those kinds of criticism of goodness, and empathizing with badness

I’m really surprised Era doesn’t want good vs evil stories at perpetuity. Maybe is their love of trying to legitimize dorky stuff they like and thinking moral ambiguities are a sure way to take this stuff seriously (Last Jedi and the Last of Us 2).

The problem is that Woke Era usually takes a Pro didactic approach to entertainment to a point it feels incompatible with this desire. Like, for example, “don’t slut shame but don’t create fictional characters that look like sluts” or “people should be aware of the exploitation that occurs on capitalism but don’t you dare to show a revolution as bloodthirsty or borderline irrational”.

The Bioshock infinite bitching always surprised me given that it was never was secret that the revolutionaries where not going to be portrayed positively since pre release. I suppose it was to in the nose, but I’m surprised when people legit liked the Daisy character. I suppose this shows how weak is the writing of Bioshock Infinite rather than GAF/Era waiting for a straight power fantasy using the politics they agree with.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #22926 on: August 03, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »
Another useless manlet throws a temper tantrum because his parents dared to work hard and live in a house

https://www.resetera.com/threads/kind-of-frustratedly-blamed-my-parents-generation-for-a-lot-of-wealth-inequality-issues.261351/

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22927 on: August 03, 2020, 09:46:11 PM »
Got into an argument regarding some policy stuff, wealth inequality etc. The usual. Based off "research" I've been doing...

If you need to put inverted commas around the word "research", don't use the word research.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #22928 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:55 PM »
I tell my parents that their generation is the worst in US history because their broke the unspoken promise that your kids' generation would be better off than their own. They just nod and agree.

These people actually wonder why they're lonely and suicidal

Boredfrom

« Reply #22929 on: August 03, 2020, 11:43:05 PM »
Mentally ill racist drug addict has a meltdown in a public place and punches someone:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/‘call-donald-trump-’-florida-man-goes-on-violent-rampage-at-restaurant-video-shows.261213/

Quote from: Oryan
Just remember that approximately half the country are this guy. They would say and do exactly the same things given the right circumstances. Sure gives you hope for the future huh

:doge

This guy is probably mentally ill or on drugs.

Quote from: Anti
Really, again with this shit?

The guy is just a piece of shit stop making excuses for these racist assholes.

I think is more insulting that you think mentioning mental illness or drugs are some sort of excuse for this behavior.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22931 on: August 04, 2020, 04:51:56 AM »
https://www.polygon.com/2020/8/3/21352437/games-morality-last-of-of-us-bioshock-good-bad

Polygon, still king of shit takes. :doge
"Mario Kart 8 will likely be the worst-selling game in franchise history, here's why"

:crowdlaff :girlaff

Super Mario Kart - 8.76M
Mario Kart 64 - 9.87M
Mario Kart: Super Circuit - 5.91M
Mario Kart: Double Dash - 6.88M
Mario Kart DS - 23.60M
Mario Kart Wii - 37.32M
Mario Kart 7 - 18.71M
Mario Kart 8 - 8.45M
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 24.77M

:miyamoto

close down your shit blog you clowns  :birb
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 05:01:55 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22933 on: August 04, 2020, 06:28:24 AM »
That's Luke Wilson! Matthew Fox was the guy from Lost who Dominic Moynahan outed as a man who hits women

:larry
ὕβρις

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #22934 on: August 04, 2020, 07:51:48 AM »
Are an LLCs filings not public in america?

Yes, they are.  I used to set up corporate brokerage accounts and we would use the LLC/LP/Corporation paperwork to verify information.

I won't link Era's here because it technically doxxes Cerium's name and address (nice place BTW, he's definitely not hurting for money) but he's the only one listed on the documents and so he's most likely the only one getting any of the money from it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22935 on: August 04, 2020, 08:12:33 AM »
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #22936 on: August 04, 2020, 09:27:36 AM »
wow it's almost like the people running resetera are sanctimonious assholes or something, definitely didn't predict that one!
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22937 on: August 04, 2020, 09:31:56 AM »
80+ IT Summit, when??
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #22938 on: August 04, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »
need to have a 'games putting rewards behind higher difficulty' summit first.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22939 on: August 04, 2020, 10:04:24 AM »
need to have a 'games putting rewards behind higher difficulty' summit first.

Can't we just roll that one into the Games Journalists Summit?
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22940 on: August 04, 2020, 10:06:21 AM »
Hecht getting sniped :lol
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22942 on: August 04, 2020, 10:28:03 AM »
I do not know a lot about how much revenue Era does, and that has, quite frankly, never been a huge point of interest of mine in the first place. That been said, the current gist of it all seems to point out out that our financial earnings were definitely impacted by Covid-19 in a negative way.
ὕβρις

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #22943 on: August 04, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
Why would covid affect revenue that is 100% digital? If anything they should be getting more views  during the pandemic

:whatisthis

nudemacusers

« Reply #22944 on: August 04, 2020, 10:35:01 AM »
An announcement is being drafted

:jeb
will it be peer reviewed this time?  :doge

let's place bets on the number of post-submission revisions it gets :teehee
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Hermit

« Reply #22945 on: August 04, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-dont-know-anymore.261573/

I go to work every day just to support my kids. After that? Empty.

:stahp

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #22946 on: August 04, 2020, 10:49:05 AM »

:jeb :jeb
Uncle

BikeJesus

« Reply #22947 on: August 04, 2020, 11:02:29 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/audi-drops-insensitive-girl-with-banana-ad.261501/

Surely the outrage machine known as rejectera will take issue with this.

No wait, it's everyone saying the real pedophiles are the people who took issue with the ad featuring a little girl eating a banana leaning against a red sports car with a slogan about how it gets your heart racing. Everyone is saying they don't see the issue.

wtf

SmokyDave

« Reply #22948 on: August 04, 2020, 11:06:41 AM »
Surely the outrage machine known as rejectera will take issue with this.
Not Invented Here syndrome. It is hilarious that the 'ban burkhaless bitches' brigade feel like they can take the piss out of this:

"Let's add it up: Red=eroticism, sports car=substitute for potency, animal print mini-skirt=sex appeal, banana=phallic symbol. But sure this is all just accidental..."

As if it wouldn't be perfectly at home in one of their Make Frumps Great Again threads.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #22949 on: August 04, 2020, 11:13:07 AM »
Uncle

SmokyDave

« Reply #22950 on: August 04, 2020, 11:17:03 AM »
^That kid is as cool as his parents are negligent.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22951 on: August 04, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Please don't post this insensitive ad here.  :exxy
©@©™

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22952 on: August 04, 2020, 11:22:16 AM »

nudemacusers

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #22955 on: August 04, 2020, 12:28:11 PM »
no rules about violating SUCCSEC :mouf
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Switters

« Reply #22956 on: August 04, 2020, 12:44:28 PM »
New Stickied Topic: ERA, we need to talk about how we approach 80+ users or 80+ IT people within your team’s structure?
troll

Clockwork5

« Reply #22957 on: August 04, 2020, 01:37:06 PM »
The root of the problem is them ever promising transparency or ever claiming they want to listen to all feedback.

It just never works on forums;  you are way better off just moderating and saying as little as possible about it.
In addition, the mods and admins try to act like normal posters; dishing out hot takes and getting into petty political arguments with the user base, which completely undermines their roles. The mods really shouldn’t engage with the forum outside of moderation and the admins really shouldn’t be posting whatsoever.

It can work if your a tiny forum where everyone knows each other but on a forum of 50,000 there really should be an air of professionalism that simply doesn’t exist there.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #22958 on: August 04, 2020, 01:42:34 PM »
Or just actually be transparent :trumps

The only reason they don't do things like make 'history of histories' public, or put a moderator name to a moderator action so people can see who is accountable for what is because they don't like 'the optics' when someone is blatantly abusing their power or playing favorites.

e:
and god forbid have an actual list of rules to cite what offence has been committed when issuing punishmentgs, or an up to date list of unallowed topics for people not to talk about!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:49:04 PM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

Clockwork5

« Reply #22959 on: August 04, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »

The only reason they don't do things like make 'history of histories' public, or put a moderator name to a moderator action so people can see who is accountable for what is because they don't like 'the optics' when someone is blatantly abusing their power or playing favorites.

e:
and god forbid have an actual list of rules to cite what offence has been committed when issuing punishmentgs, or an up to date list of unallowed topics for people not to talk about!
I really don’t think that would appease them though. They would still have a weekly bitch fest and the ideal of transparency forces the mods and admins to defend their actions and decision making process, putting it in full view of their psychologically and emotionally challenged user base. It really wouldn’t accomplish anything other than putting targets on their back.

Just ignore them. If they become a true nuisance to the forum ban them. Sure, you will have the occasional “Free Ketkat” movement but who cares?

The more you coddle them the worse they get.

Hermit

« Reply #22960 on: August 04, 2020, 02:13:48 PM »
It's hilarious that these people feel like they're entitled to anything other than a functioning website.

You can fuck off if you don't like it. Nobody is owed anything.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #22961 on: August 04, 2020, 02:27:47 PM »

e:
I really don’t think that would appease them though. They would still have a weekly bitch fest and the ideal of transparency forces the mods and admins to defend their actions and decision making process, putting it in full view of their psychologically and emotionally challenged user base. It really wouldn’t accomplish anything other than putting targets on their back.

Just ignore them. If they become a true nuisance to the forum ban them. Sure, you will have the occasional “Free Ketkat” movement but who cares?

The more you coddle them the worse they get.

well, yeah, obviously the flipside to mods actually being transparent and only banning people for breaking actual rules and banning for breaking those rules even if they are a 'forum personality' is to not cave and tell people to fuck off and make their own website if they want the kind of corrupt moderation nepotismenthe embodies.

Having actual rules to hold posts accountable to means you don't have to defend shit; if it broke the rules, they're gone.
99% of moderating is basically QA; does post meet the etablished criteria yes / no.

paprikastaude

« Reply #22962 on: August 04, 2020, 02:57:21 PM »
both the people writing essays about how the tag has destroyed their ability to use the site and the assmad mods adamant on clamping down on conversation in a discussion board are equally  :dizzy

Sure, we lost the personality and absurdity of NeoGAF, but ResetERA is really just a pit of unlikable caricatures duking it out battle after battle, thread after thread in a culture war.

Disingenuous, tense, cold, sterile the ultimate style de ResetERA.

and half the people in that culture war blatantly use it to cover up that they are simply butthurt that people don't like their favorite mediocre children's product :wow

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #22963 on: August 04, 2020, 02:59:49 PM »
The root of the problem is them ever promising transparency or ever claiming they want to listen to all feedback.

It just never works on forums;  you are way better off just moderating and saying as little as possible about it.

this tends to apply in lots of areas of life

people appreciate communicative game developers, streamers, entertainers right up until the point when they offer reasonable explanations for bad news, or offer genuine apologies, at which time they get hounded endlessly

meanwhile companies like EA do a whole bunch of shit and get away with it and either do a non-apology or ignore criticism until the problem goes away, then get right back up to their old bullshit in the next release

it's true what they say, never read the comments
Uncle

Tuckers Law

« Reply #22964 on: August 04, 2020, 03:01:47 PM »
If cerium really wanted to fix the forum, he’d release every moderator/admin/GM from their positions and start hiring outside the forum for moderation and administration, while also codifying and clarifying publicly what is and is not allowed for members to post.  Moderators should be explicitly not allowed to state their opinions and should also not be allowed to participate in discussion, except in instances where necessary, such as clarifying unclear cases of thread/user moderation and providing warnings when posters start toeing outside the lines of civility and breaking explicitly-codified and stated forum rules.  The new admins in place would also need to be passive observers disallowed from participating in discussion, and be responsible for insuring the moderators are following policy and reviewing contentious instances of moderation.

That wouldn’t solve all their issues, especially with their user base, but it’d be a good start.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #22965 on: August 04, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »
If cerium really wanted to fix the forum, he’d release every moderator/admin/GM from their positions and start hiring outside the forum for moderation and administration, while also codifying and clarifying publicly what is and is not allowed for members to post.  Moderators should be explicitly not allowed to state their opinions and should also not be allowed to participate in discussion, except in instances where necessary, such as clarifying unclear cases of thread/user moderation and providing warnings when posters start toeing outside the lines of civility and breaking explicitly-codified and stated forum rules.  The new admins in place would also need to be passive observers disallowed from participating in discussion, and be responsible for insuring the moderators are following policy and reviewing contentious instances of moderation.

That wouldn’t solve all their issues, especially with their user base, but it’d be a good start.

god the amount of money and therapy coupons you would need to pay these poor people
Uncle

paprikastaude

« Reply #22966 on: August 04, 2020, 03:06:36 PM »
Ban everyone who says "the old place" instead of GAF and they might have a tiny chance.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22967 on: August 04, 2020, 03:16:50 PM »
If cerium really wanted to fix the forum, he'd appoint me as administrator
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #22968 on: August 04, 2020, 03:26:07 PM »

And to be clear: these are recommendations specific to that forum.  They’re already established as superficially woke, soft, and prone to self-harm.  If we were talking about establishing a brand new forum, I’d recommend a Dear-Leader-Demi-and-Glorious-Tyrant-Bork style of moderation ala The Bore.

And a standing Taco Bell sponsorship.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #22969 on: August 04, 2020, 03:38:31 PM »
And a required Nintex.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22970 on: August 04, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »

e:

It makes me laugh that Delphine contemplates that they don't have enough money to hire moderators like facebook or twitter do, yet those moderators wouldn't have a clue what to do without proper rulebook. You can't hire someone who has never seen this forum before and expect them to consider all these unspoken protections and dog whistles.

Clockwork5

« Reply #22971 on: August 04, 2020, 03:42:26 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22972 on: August 04, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
In other news Sony continues to troll Reset.

“Preorder cancelled”

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sony-announces-even-more-playstation-advantages-for-marvels-avengers.261666/

PlayStation players will have 30-day exclusive access to a Legendary Outfit, Legendary Emote, Epic Takedown, and nameplate for each Super Hero

©@©™

nudemacusers

« Reply #22973 on: August 04, 2020, 04:06:44 PM »
all this for a game that will prob be a C at best :zzz
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Clockwork5

« Reply #22974 on: August 04, 2020, 04:13:26 PM »
all this for a game that will prob be a C at best :zzz
Fact Check: all this for a superhero outfit in a game that will prob be a C at best.
 :rage

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22975 on: August 04, 2020, 04:31:58 PM »
I have already seen other people raise the possibility of expanding the staff earlier in this discussion. I thought it was a very good idea to 'hire' more people and put mods on rotation, so they can take extended breaks every few months or whenever their situation in real life requires it.

:karen

I don't have a current mod list but there's always has been more than enough bodies in the team IMO.

Then again I think the solution is less moderation, procedures cutting through the chaff, and better & smarter feedback. The walls of text Delphine are dropping in that thread are the most surefire way of burning out.

Less summits, less writing, less "committee decision".

I'm not familiar with current forum software but surely there must be integrated system to have a queue or log of all reported posts and options to have an appeal system.

They keep burdening the mods with crazy expectations and outright fantasy (Transparency for accounts and revenue generation ? Why not. Expecting Cerium to somehow pay 15 or 20 mods ?  :lol )

Brevity is the soul of etc
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:41:56 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #22976 on: August 04, 2020, 04:38:01 PM »
Naive.

naive to codify forum-banned persons and subjects?  the bore had a more accurate list of era's own secret rules than era does  :doge
Uncle

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22977 on: August 04, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »
Can't wait for the first ERA mod to set up a Patreon.
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22978 on: August 04, 2020, 04:49:03 PM »
I think you'd be surprised by how many members would be more than willing to contribute and help ease your burden. While not all might be qualified or desirably tempered, and there might be occasional bad faith actors to weed out, there really would be an abundance of support. Hell, I certainly wouldn't mind helping moderate, or discussing CM ideas with Delphine.

Oh I'm sure.
Can't wait to have 60 janitor warlords roaming the site.
:mods
ὕβρις

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #22979 on: August 04, 2020, 04:52:53 PM »
Naive.

naive to codify forum-banned persons and subjects?  the bore had a more accurate list of era's own secret rules than era does  :doge

It's naive to think that:

- You'd ever really come up with a set of rules that applied to all times someone should probably be banned/warned
- You'd find a set of moderators to perfectly objectively apply these rules
- People wouldn't freak out and cause an uproar anyways

They could probably start by applying the rules they do have to everyone instead of having a different set of rules for the mods friends/discord groups. :trumps