Author Topic: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread  (Read 3133112 times)

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
Re: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread
« Reply #42541 on: May 06, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-general-discussion-ot22-famicom-direct-ive-club-the-missing-link-trans-rights-will-always-be-human-rights.418404/

The Nintendo thread dropped "trans rights are human rights" from the title (it was there in the previous five) and it was back within a couple of hours of complaints.

First included as OT17's subtitle, the assertion that "trans rights are human rights" is not a shallow attempt at moral posturing.

:comeon :gurl

Not to diminish other issues, but maybe we could a title about stopping Asian hate for once? After all, I think a lot of us can agree that some of our favorite games are made by Asians.
+trans rights are human rights

would be a very long title though, can it fit?

Maybe this might be the point to question what this accomplishes at all

(TR+BLM+SAH) as an abbreviation for Trans Rights + Black Lives Matter + Stop Asian Hate

:iface

SmokyDave

« Reply #42542 on: May 06, 2021, 10:36:02 AM »
Quote from: Raccoon
I think that, given how long trans rights have been in the title, it would be a bit strange to pivot to a new issue. Trans rights being in the title started because of how many trans members NintendoEra has as a community.

There's merit to including it, given how serious of a problem it's been on Era, but I think leaving the trans message out is a bit unfortunate. Given that that's the case, a broad inclusivity statement in the OP of the thread might be the best path forward. There are too many groups that have had problems on Era to highlight them all in the title.
Imagine writing this kind of shit about the title of a thread on a videogame forum. A Nintendo thread, no less. Then pondering a 'broad inclusivity statement'. Why?

Regarding the bolded, perhaps the community is shit? I browse forums on all manner of subjects and the only place where I have ever seen marginalised people need to constantly protest about their treatment is resetera.

Link.

Quote from: Modest Dumpster
Again, not to diminish other issues, but I think we could just focus on stopping Asian hate for at least one thread. Not to make it a numbers game, but that has been in the last 5, while other issues like Black Lives haven't even been addressed since last summer. As far as the title is concerned.

That said, I'll stop here. All in all, I think nrvalleytime did a great job on the OP and I'm happy to talk about video games. We have a lot coming soon.
Man, that's a tremendous responsibility. I hadn't realised they were actually effecting change with these titles. To be fair, they are choosing issues that haven't been discussed or given visibility anywhere else on era or the internet.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:48:34 AM by SmokyDave »

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #42543 on: May 06, 2021, 11:21:27 AM »
This is what the peak Resetera user looks like.

https://m.

RIP though, he went out like a NeoGAF mod.

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #42544 on: May 06, 2021, 11:35:13 AM »
I think that, given how long trans rights have been in the title, it would be a bit strange to pivot to a new issue. Trans rights being in the title started because of how many trans members NintendoEra has as a community.

There's merit to including it, given how serious of a problem it's been on Era, but I think leaving the trans message out is a bit unfortunate. Given that that's the case, a broad inclusivity statement in the OP of the thread might be the best path forward. There are too many groups that have had problems on Era to highlight them all in the title.
Imagine writing this kind of shit about the title of a thread on a videogame forum. A Nintendo thread, no less. Then pondering a 'broad inclusivity statement'. Why?

Regarding the bolded, perhaps the community is shit? I browse forums on all manner of subjects and the only place where I have ever seen marginalised people need to constantly protest about their treatment is resetera.

So what they are asking for is a thread that is welcoming for everybody. Hmm.... I wonder if that would work. I better check with an expert.

Is Black Chamber around?

Himu

« Reply #42545 on: May 06, 2021, 11:39:06 AM »
I used to love people. Now I want to live on a desert island. Humans are trash. If we all had the same skin color, religion, and star sign we'd start discriminating by hair color next. The only thing keeping me sane is the idea that most humans are trying to do good and it's a minority of people that hate others.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #42546 on: May 06, 2021, 11:43:34 AM »
I've actually stopped caring about climate change. Humans deserve what we get. I'm actually grateful that tech industry is looking into robotics. After we as a species die out the robots, our successors, will have our collective memory and I think they'll do a hell of a better job running things than us.
IYKYK

SmokyDave

« Reply #42547 on: May 06, 2021, 11:45:19 AM »
I used to love people. Now I want to live on a desert island. Humans are trash. If we all had the same skin color, religion, and star sign we'd start discriminating by hair color next. The only thing keeping me sane is the idea that most humans are trying to do good and it's a minority of people that hate others.
Stop worrying about 'humans' and concentrate on yourself, and the people close to you. Yes, humanity is shit. Life is unfair, and the world only really 'works' for about 5% of the people in it. That ain't your problem to fix and it ain't changing in your lifetime.

Just be responsible for your own energy. The rest is for someone else to worry about.

I've actually stopped caring about climate change. Humans deserve what we get. I'm actually grateful that tech industry is looking into robotics. After we as a species die out the robots, our successors, will have our collective memory and I think they'll do a hell of a better job running things than us.
Climate change is a done deal. It's going to happen, it's going to be unprecedented, and again, there's nothing you can do about it. Focus that preservation energy on you and yours as it is needed.

I'm afraid the robots don't fully mature and there will be no collective memory. We ain't the first people to make it this far in the run, but if you don't carve it in stone, it doesn't survive the reboot.

(I'm joking about the last robot bit, but it's an interesting idea!)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #42548 on: May 06, 2021, 11:45:47 AM »

we already do that with gingers :trumps
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #42549 on: May 06, 2021, 11:50:08 AM »
Stop worrying about 'humans' and concentrate on yourself, and the people close to you. Yes, humanity is shit. Life is unfair, and the world only really 'works' for about 5% of the people in it. That ain't your problem to fix and it ain't changing in your lifetime.

Just be responsible for your own energy. The rest is for someone else to worry about.

Climate change is a done deal. It's going to happen, it's going to be unprecedented, and again, there's nothing you can do about it. Focus that preservation energy on you and yours as it is needed.

I'm afraid the robots don't fully mature and there will be no collective memory. We ain't the first people to make it this far in the run, but if you don't carve it in stone, it doesn't survive the reboot.

(I'm joking about the last robot bit, but it's an interesting idea!)

I wanted to at least help people before I die. I now know it won't be enough but I'll keep trying.
IYKYK

SmokyDave

« Reply #42550 on: May 06, 2021, 11:54:12 AM »
I wanted to at least help people before I die. I now know it won't be enough but I'll keep trying.
Hun, every time you come into contact with someone and you don't fuck them over, you're helping. It's not about grand gestures or measurable metrics, just try and make the people that you interact with a little happier than they were before. That's more than many, many people ever bother with, and it makes a big difference.

Himu

« Reply #42551 on: May 06, 2021, 11:54:57 AM »
Lmao at the pro-gun posts

They're finally where I was in 2016. :dead Catch up, slugs.

I only wish I could warn them not to get too invested in gun politics, which is nearly impossible as guns are political. Asians becoming pro-gun will push more Asians toward conservatism because guns are now seen as inherently conservative. Once you're in that rabbithole it's hard to get out.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42552 on: May 06, 2021, 12:03:21 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-general-discussion-ot22-famicom-direct-ive-club-the-missing-link-trans-rights-will-always-be-human-rights.418404/page-4#post-64005057

Quote from: Thequietone
the one-two punch of removing trans rights from the title and terry crews doing a mother 3 meme is an unfortunate coincidence

Doesn't matter. It would still be hypocritical if it was still in the thread title. It isn't just one person acting like Crews is a swell guy in the thread.

Quote from: SammyJ9
Is he not? I've never heard anything but good things about the guy. I remember a story about him standing up against hollywood sexual misconduct or something like that that seemed like a good thing a while back? But it's entirely possible I missed something more recent

He said that LGBTQ+ couples shouldn't be allowed to have children as children need a mother and father figures and the kids won't grow up right if they don't have both.

Quote from: Dragoncaine
That's really disgusting, how the hell did I never hear about that?

Quote from: MaitreWakou
Terry Crews is an anti LGBTQ+ POS. But oh he wants a game that we want so let's post his Twitter account. Geez guys its bad enough the game itself has homophobic and transphobic content but posting a man who believes LGBTQ+ couples shouldn't adopt children or have children at all? In a thread that used to have Trans rights are human rights in its thread title for months it's kinda disgusting that Terry Crews is being posted in here. I know I'll be attacked for saying it but someone needs to say it

Didn't know about Terry Crews' homophobic and transphobic shit, but was about to say "might explain why he wants that game localized then, seems like the right game for his shit opinions" but you already got the awful shit present in Mother 3 covered in your post anyway !

Quote from: Mimosa
Crews is also anti-Black but ANYWAYYYYSSS

New thread, maybe BoTW2 will be revealed before it ends!

What thread is this again?   :brain
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #42553 on: May 06, 2021, 12:04:12 PM »
The best part of these black folks on reset  and twitter is they view their blackness above their humanity. They view themselves above sin. I'm not going into religion here but they view themselves above having flaws or earned criticism. That, because black folks got it bad, we are above self correcting.

They ramble about "yt" people but some of the most cruel people I've met have been black. They've also been white, or Latino.

You are not special because you are black and your shit most definitely stinks like the rest of us.

IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42554 on: May 06, 2021, 12:04:15 PM »
it's seems wrong that we don't have any seagal emotes :stahp

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42555 on: May 06, 2021, 12:10:26 PM »

The thing about crab bucket people is that the very worst people know that they are the very worst people, and desperately want to drag everyone else down to their level because if they can 'prove' that people aren't any better than they are, they don't ever have to acknowledge their own failings.

Cut toxic people out of your life is a cliché, but its fucking true.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #42556 on: May 06, 2021, 12:24:23 PM »
Imagine Resetera being so bad, Cindi started posting again on a site she supposedly hates now.

Good job!

Himu

« Reply #42557 on: May 06, 2021, 12:26:20 PM »
Shut up hardcore retro.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #42558 on: May 06, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
Why are you not on the discord?

SmokyDave

« Reply #42559 on: May 06, 2021, 12:32:36 PM »
They view themselves above sin.

You are not special because you are ______ and your shit most definitely stinks like the rest of us.
This is the frustration of the reset poster for me. Stripping out the identifier / trait / group or whatever and it holds true so often. It's a key to understanding why we can't just instantly group more than one person in to 'good' / 'bad' / 'neutral' with any reliability. Pretty much all humans operate along a wild spectrum of good and bad, right and wrong, and any rule you think you find can be broken.

Thing is, you can still point fingers at problems even if you admit that you yourself are flawed. It's a foolish pride that pretends otherwise.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #42560 on: May 06, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »
Asian-Era don't allow the pedants to overrun this thread with gaslighting nonsense. Do what makes you and yours feel safe, even if that means arming yourselves which I support 100%

"pedantic gaslighting" :rofl

you're either a "pedant" because you're overly concerned with 'minor details' like, you know, actual fucking guncrime statistics making owning a gun increase your likelihood of being hurt by gun, or you're gaslighting by pretending things are true that aren't.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #42561 on: May 06, 2021, 12:36:10 PM »
being able to change your mind can be a sign of introspection

it's better than the era attitude which is like a demented "yes, and" never ending improv digging deeper and deeper
Uncle

Himu

« Reply #42562 on: May 06, 2021, 12:53:06 PM »

You are not special because you are ______ and your shit most definitely stinks like the rest of us.
This is the frustration of the reset poster for me. Stripping out the identifier / trait / group or whatever and it holds true so often. It's a key to understanding why we can't just instantly group more than one person in to 'good' / 'bad' / 'neutral' with any reliability. Pretty much all humans operate along a wild spectrum of good and bad, right and wrong, and any rule you think you find can be broken.

Thing is, you can still point fingers at problems even if you admit that you yourself are flawed. It's a foolish pride that pretends otherwise.

What's going on in Reset and Twitter circles is the final approximation of identity politics.

Once you build hierarchies based on who is most oppressed those very same people will feel they are a virtuous good that can't do anything wrong. Once that happens you percieve other groups as being unable to experience or understand the pain you feel because you're most oppressed. If attention is put on another group then that is seen as undercutting your own struggles and puts a crack into the idea that because you are oppressed that other people don't have it bad as well. Let's be real: trans and black people are an oppressed minority group in USA, but they're not the only ones that have a boot on their neck. Furthermore, it is human to suffer.

Identity politics needs to die. Building hierarchies based on who has it bad takes away from those issues because rather than solving real issues, you instead focus on groups. Also, since it's a hierarchy it's also human to maintain that power: the oppressed become professional victims.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:59:22 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #42563 on: May 06, 2021, 01:12:23 PM »
 :snore
Margs

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #42564 on: May 06, 2021, 01:19:51 PM »
Do whatever makes you feel safe even if it it endangers the life of your children

Switters

« Reply #42565 on: May 06, 2021, 01:59:09 PM »
it's seems wrong that we don't have any seagal emotes :stahp

(Image removed from quote.)

No No No, you don't understand the panini goes like thissssssssss.
troll

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #42566 on: May 06, 2021, 03:03:47 PM »
Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42567 on: May 06, 2021, 03:19:13 PM »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #42568 on: May 06, 2021, 03:23:20 PM »

Let it go, let it go! Can't hold it back anymore!
©@©™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #42569 on: May 06, 2021, 03:25:20 PM »
Okay take a break and tell this guy these space nuns he wants to fuck are not sexualized and are healthily represented

https://www.resetera.com/threads/are-the-warhammer-40k-adepta-sororitas-sisters-of-battle-one-of-the-best-female-warrior-representation-in-fantasy-games-image-heavy.421313/

He uploaded 40 pics please go tell him he did not waste his time.

Not counting the OP, it took this thread <10 words for "boob armor" to come up.
New record?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #42570 on: May 06, 2021, 03:35:35 PM »
Always interesting to spot a CCP defender:

This is some major white fear-bait.

All upper modules of rockets re-enter the atmosphere after short periods of time, this is no different. Its' size and weight are far below some of the cases brought up like Skylab or etc, as such it will disintergrate upon reentry.
I would also like to remind people that most of Earths surface is ocean.

Speaking of, I would like to make a distinction between LM3's launched from inland, and those such as LM7s and 5s launched from Hainan. People think they drop LM5 boosters over population, but they are actually confusing it with the former. Hainan is an island off the south coast, and orbital laubches go over the pacific.
People tend to think they all go over mainland.

He later edited the post to remove "white fear bait" Not sure what that's supposed to mean in the first place

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #42571 on: May 06, 2021, 03:44:10 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #42572 on: May 06, 2021, 03:51:46 PM »

What's going on in Reset and Twitter circles is the final approximation of identity politics.

Once you build hierarchies based on who is most oppressed those very same people will feel they are a virtuous good that can't do anything wrong. Once that happens you percieve other groups as being unable to experience or understand the pain you feel because you're most oppressed. If attention is put on another group then that is seen as undercutting your own struggles and puts a crack into the idea that because you are oppressed that other people don't have it bad as well. Let's be real: trans and black people are an oppressed minority group in USA, but they're not the only ones that have a boot on their neck. Furthermore, it is human to suffer.

Identity politics needs to die. Building hierarchies based on who has it bad takes away from those issues because rather than solving real issues, you instead focus on groups. Also, since it's a hierarchy it's also human to maintain that power: the oppressed become professional victims.
Identity politics is a symptom not a cause. Just like the built back better cult that replaced religion and intervention among the political class in a last ditch effort to justify their actions.

Identity politics always follows when society has no meaning anymore and its values are rejected. See Yugoslavia post Tito, historical bonds (often artificially created I might add) erased, traditions banned and the grim reality slowly seeping in.
Same with Moscow in the 90's, anarchy followed by identity politics. The insurgency in Iraq that ended up in ISIS. People often compare things to Nazi Germany but in reality the Weimar Republic, Balkans or the collapse of the Soviet Union would be more apt as a comparison to these times.

The pandemic froze everything but also unearthed the deep rooted problems in the fabric of our current society. It is too late to change things now.
All we can do is wait for the inevitable explosion and after everyone is tired of the fighting a new society will come to be. What that world will look like is up to us.
🤴

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez

Himu

« Reply #42574 on: May 06, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »

Identity politics is a symptom not a cause. Just like the built back better cult that replaced religion and intervention among the political class in a last ditch effort to justify their actions.

Identity politics always follows when society has no meaning anymore and its values are rejected. See Yugoslavia post Tito, historical bonds (often artificially created I might add) erased, traditions banned and the grim reality slowly seeping in.
Same with Moscow in the 90's, anarchy followed by identity politics. The insurgency in Iraq that ended up in ISIS. People often compare things to Nazi Germany but in reality the Weimar Republic, Balkans or the collapse of the Soviet Union would be more apt as a comparison to these times.

The pandemic froze everything but also unearthed the deep rooted problems in the fabric of our current society. It is too late to change things now.
All we can do is wait for the inevitable explosion and after everyone is tired of the fighting a new society will come to be. What that world will look like is up to us.

I don't entirely agree. For me it's a lack of empathy towards other peoples struggles and needs.

A common argument made by (mostly) black men when comparing lgbtq struggle against black struggle is,"they are nothing like me, I can't hide being black the way they can hide being gay." This is a horrific and "problematic" argument purely because it supposes that there's nothing wrong with hiding your true love. The two are comparable because they can hide it. It's a people discriminated against to the point where they have to hide whom they love because of what would happen if they expressed that love pubicly. That's pretty bad on a scale of things in terms of discrimination. But no, it's only about our black pain. Our black struggle, when others are struggling too. Never mind black gay people's existence.  Furthermore, it's a bad argument wholesale because we can just flip it and bring up interracial relationships instead. A black man or woman dating a white person could be harassed purely because they are dating, no different than a gay couple.

This is exactly what I'm talking about: someone dismissing others' stories because of their place in the victimhood hierarchy.

I'm not sure what comparisons to Soviet's or anything has to do with this. I can only assume you're arguing this point from outside looking in because these arguments are decades old.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #42575 on: May 06, 2021, 04:19:21 PM »

Link.

Quote from: Modest Dumpster
Again, not to diminish other issues, but I think we could just focus on stopping Asian hate for at least one thread. Not to make it a numbers game, but that has been in the last 5, while other issues like Black Lives haven't even been addressed since last summer. As far as the title is concerned.

That said, I'll stop here. All in all, I think nrvalleytime did a great job on the OP and I'm happy to talk about video games. We have a lot coming soon.
Man, that's a tremendous responsibility. I hadn't realised they were actually effecting change with these titles. To be fair, they are choosing issues that haven't been discussed or given visibility anywhere else on era or the internet.
If they are going for an inclusive title that captures the multitude of causes on Reeeeesetera, might I suggest something like "All lives matter"?
Spud

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #42576 on: May 06, 2021, 04:34:52 PM »

Adam Curtis voice
(ice)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #42577 on: May 06, 2021, 04:37:15 PM »
Okay take a break and tell this guy these space nuns he wants to fuck are not sexualized and are healthily represented

https://www.resetera.com/threads/are-the-warhammer-40k-adepta-sororitas-sisters-of-battle-one-of-the-best-female-warrior-representation-in-fantasy-games-image-heavy.421313/

He uploaded 40 pics please go tell him he did not waste his time.
A logical explanation on the reason for boob armour? This post is should rile the burka brigade.

I feel like the only reason they have boob armor is because the art has to match the minis. Without boob armor you wouldn't be able to tell the minis gender.
It's common for people to sculpt boob armor on there fanon space marine chapter minis or imperial guard so they present as female. Without you can't tell the gender of minis on the tabletop.

Turn any mini female presenting by using green stuff to create breasts.
Spud

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #42578 on: May 06, 2021, 05:40:58 PM »
Do you think there’s a single piece of Warhammer 40K artwork that hasn’t been masturbated to?
©@©™

anime tits

« Reply #42579 on: May 06, 2021, 06:53:20 PM »
I do not masturbate to commando nuns. I respect their "bad ass" ways and all the other excellent ways they are represented. Like how they're super bad ass. They could've made pussy shit nuns that don't fight like your typical weak woman. They went with the bad ass ones though for equal representation

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #42580 on: May 06, 2021, 08:19:29 PM »
commando nuns like nuns with nothing under the habit?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #42581 on: May 06, 2021, 08:31:51 PM »
Is this shilling for Verhoeven's new movie?

« Reply #42582 on: May 06, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »
it's really reductive to ascribe "good female design" to traditionally masculine silouhettes and expression. why is it that every strong woman needs to be aggro with combat boots, baggy pants and short hair. very stupid and boring.

FUME5

« Reply #42583 on: May 06, 2021, 08:38:37 PM »

I've heard better screeds from first year philosophy dropouts.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #42584 on: May 06, 2021, 08:40:09 PM »
Yeah the robots trained on Suckerberg, Carmack and Elon Musk will do a better job.  :lol

Himu

« Reply #42585 on: May 06, 2021, 08:57:50 PM »

4-5 sentences is a screed to you?  :doge Were you one of those dropouts?  :heh
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #42586 on: May 06, 2021, 09:01:22 PM »
Yeah the robots trained on Suckerberg, Carmack and Elon Musk will do a better job.  :lol

I'm putting my faith in Japan.  :doge

Fuck humans. Take our heritage, robot-sans.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42587 on: May 06, 2021, 09:05:41 PM »
it's really reductive to ascribe "good female design" to traditionally masculine silouhettes and expression. why is it that every strong woman needs to be aggro with combat boots, baggy pants and short hair. very stupid and boring.

Got the PERFECT design for Era- they're gonna love this check it out:

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #42588 on: May 06, 2021, 09:08:08 PM »

She's white and has cornrows.

IYKYK

FUME5

« Reply #42589 on: May 06, 2021, 09:15:39 PM »

4-5 sentences is a screed to you?  :doge Were you one of those dropouts?  :heh

A one sentence rant is a screed to me.

And if these idiots actually watched mma they would have seen kay hansen having issues cause she fought with her hair in a fkn ponytail.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42591 on: May 06, 2021, 10:37:48 PM »

She's Asian- it's Mei from Overwatch, and you missed the joke.  Era isn't taking too kindly to that design.   :P
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #42592 on: May 06, 2021, 10:38:53 PM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/germany-rejects-proposal-to-waive-patent-protection-for-covid-vaccines-ip-is-a-source-of-innovation.421583/

I love that in the rare case the US steps up to do the right thing on an international level, someone else in the West is more than willing to play bad cop

“Is like every government is self centered.”

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #42593 on: May 06, 2021, 11:02:35 PM »
These dudes should realise that a black guy beating the shit out of two asian liquor store owners is bad optics.  ::)

if you're going to beat a liquor store owning grandma at least make it a yt  ;)

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #42594 on: May 07, 2021, 01:25:32 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/don%E2%80%99t-mess-with-eddie-girl%E2%80%99s-plan-to-humiliate-fellow-student-for-clout-backfires.421772/

Spot all the winners in this thread.

Slayven always pipes up in these threads with a, "If you think that's impressive, then guess what I saw?"

He's got a lot of life experience for a guy who is only 23...or was it 26?  :gurl
Quote from: Slayven
nothing good ever happens when a circle is cleared in a school hallway. Once saw a kid catch a real life Stone stone stunner in a hall way. Another time saw an assistant principle get put through a trophy cast, he needed 17 stitches in his hand
Spud

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #42595 on: May 07, 2021, 01:40:23 AM »

She's Asian- it's Mei from Overwatch, and you missed the joke.  Era isn't taking too kindly to that design.   :P

Found in Austria, dated ~30,000yo.

Blizzard with yet another white supremacist dog whistle :wag

« Reply #42596 on: May 07, 2021, 03:12:45 AM »
So someone banned during the whole Retrunal review thread thing returns to wall-of-text the community thread:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/constructive-community-discussion.270630/page-96#post-64461734
Quote from: GSR
(Just to put this up front: I don't mean for this post to relitigate my ban or any other.  I knew I was gonna get smacked for posting what I did, and I did; I don't have any interest in arguing over that.  The examples I provide are to discuss how my frustrations with the site have grown over the years.)

I do want to say my piece briefly here.

As someone who is coming up on ten years on this site (and its predecessor before that), I've grown increasingly frustrated with how the culture here handles things like review threads and, more generally, "hype", for lack of a better term, and how that has clashed with its espoused progressive values.

I was and am truly thankful to have a large gaming forum with rules against explicit bigotry, and I understand there is a large contingent of bad-faith actors looking to tear the site down.  But I can't take that as an excuse to look away from the repeated pattern here of putting excitement and sports-team mentality ahead of everything else, up to and including critical views of the industry or specific games from marginalized writers, or the concerns of marginalized members here.

It's fine that not everyone agrees with a given review, even if that review is written from a marginalized perspective.  But I wish people would learn to, and mods would help enforce, consider perspectives as opposed to knee-jerk reacting to anything that goes against the flow.  I am not just talking about the most recent review thread.  I am talking about the entire CP2077 fiasco, up to and including the stripped down staff OT still initially launching with PR screenshots and "ResetEra OT" banners; I am talking about the loud and angry attacks on WLW critics who did not connect with the WLW themes of The Last of us Part 2; I am talking about any time a review below the average becomes fodder for people digging up the reviewer's history and posting it everywhere they can; I am talking about too many things to count over the years.  Maybe I am even talking about how the thread asking "isn't the imagery of a 'forbidden west' somewhat charged" got filled with pages of people laughing at and mocking the OP, including staff members, and how that thread very vividly came to mind last week when I saw people trip over themselves to mock and belittle an indigenous writer in what turned out to be almost the exact same way alt-right chuds on Twitter were doing at that very moment.

I don't mean to paint all pushback against criticism as brand loyalty.  The TLOU2 example, for instance, had WLW members here disagree with the critiques, and their opinions are just as valid as the critic's.  But part of being a "discussion forum" is, you know, actual discussion.  It's considering what is actually being discussed, and being open to new perspectives.  At a forum that espouses progressive values like ResetERA, it is being especially considerate to minority and marginalized perspectives - even if those perspectives aren't written perfectly, or if they are speaking out against whatever the flavor of the week game is.  Too often I see discussion here tossed aside in favor of ganging up against marginalized people who have an issue with the game, or more broadly any negative critique of a game or company. Just because we catch the worst instances of it doesn't mean it's not happening.

Now, I understand when the staff pushes back against invoking GG, it is because GG is a hate movement driven by racism, sexism, and so on and they do not want to risk legitimizing it as being about "ethics in game journalism" after all.  That's completely valid.  But if you are reaching a point where you could take chunks of threads, remove the ERA tag, and ask if this is something that could have been posted on a Reddit cesspool - just without specific slurs - then I think you are looking at a real culture and moderation problem.  I am not making this comparison lightly; I am thinking of multiple marginalized, leftist reviewers and game journalists who have made this comparison, sometimes in far more damning terms, both off-site and here on ERA itself.  I'm also thinking of many marginalized former members who have left ERA because it has not felt safe to them.  To me, this is a real failure of the site's mission, which is to have a discussion space for games that is open for everyone (excluding bigots, etc.)  If you take that to mean "everyone so long as you don't push back against the hype current", then the existing structural and cultural biases in this industry are going to exclude a lot of people by nature.

There might be a response here along the lines of "well, if we crack down on hype, we might lose users.  We're all here to have fun."  To which my response would be: yeah, you might lose users.  People might leave.  And I don't say this with some vision of ERA as a place where every possible nitpick or criticism is made and elevated 24/7, to be clear.  We are here to have fun, in a real way.

But I don't think "fun" should mean "hype culture and tying our identities to products to the point that we shout down anyone who dares to criticize them."

ERA manages to be extremely itself, as it provokes this response:
Quote from: SubvertedTrope
I am talking about the loud and angry attacks on WLW critics who did not connect with the WLW themes of The Last of us Part 2

I don't mean to paint all pushback against criticism as brand loyalty. The TLOU2 example, for instance, had WLW members here disagree with the critiques, and their opinions are just as valid as the critic's. But part of being a "discussion forum" is, you know, actual discussion. It's considering what is actually being discussed, and being open to new perspectives. At a forum that espouses progressive values like ResetERA, it is being especially considerate to minority and marginalized perspectives - even if those perspectives aren't written perfectly, or if they are speaking out against whatever the flavor of the week game is. Too often I see discussion here tossed aside in favor of ganging up against marginalized people who have an issue with the game, or more broadly any negative critique of a game or company. Just because we catch the worst instances of it doesn't mean it's not happening.

You have some larger points that I mostly agree with so I'm sorry if this is too tunnel vision-y but I can't help it.

This is a horrid example and I wish you hadn't brought it up and compared it to the other stuff you mentioned.

Have you thought about just why there were loud and angry attacks on specifically Maddy Myers' nuclear hot take on TLOU2?

I don't actually know if any other WLW agreed with her take or not (wild guess: no) because after reading what she said I completely stopped discussing that game online, it was that upsetting.

Privileged white cis lesbians gatekeeping queerdom is something I cannot handle calmly, it makes me want to scream.

So to go back to your 'discussion forum' point, personally I don't want to discuss that bullshit and as far as I remember we didn't discuss it beyond laughing it the fuck outta here because no one agreed with her so there was no one to argue from that pov.

Ok I just want to paint the picture that writing perfectly or speaking out against whatever flavor of the week game is were not the problem there.

I've only asked 1 question here and if you can answer it then you know this example is not like the others and I'm shocked literally 1 single person thought it was a good idea to bring this up like you did, because I think you have it backwards, you should have thrown in her erasure gatekeeping bullshit in the other pile.

E: And by the way, characterizing what she said as 'not connecting with the wlw themes' of the game is about the most charitable thing I've seen in my life.
For reference, she said the WLW representation in the game was -------------------------CONSERVATIVE PROPAGANDA---------------------------.

Which sufficiently shames GSR back into his lane:
I apologize.  Although my personal opinion as a queer person who respects Maddy's work was that her take was worth discussing and was mischaracterized here due to her choice of language, I got out over my skids on that example (especially since it's been so long and I'd forgotten some of the details).  I'm not WLW and I should've thought twice about using an example that was so charged here.

I'll remove it from the post and replace it with a different example.

The example swap seems to be removing the WLW thing and replacing it with:
"I am talking about the defense of Neil Druckmann namesearching and quoting critics of TLOU2; "

Just such a weird exchange for something it seems likely the mods will either ignore or just threadban him for.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #42597 on: May 07, 2021, 03:23:28 AM »
What a sad bitch.  By that point they should’ve just posted some big meaty dongs and told era to go fuck itself.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #42598 on: May 07, 2021, 03:24:58 AM »
wtf is a wlw? sounds like a shitty wrestling promotion :heh
(ice)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #42599 on: May 07, 2021, 03:29:56 AM »
wtf is a wlw? sounds like a shitty wrestling promotion :heh
https://700wlw.iheart.com/
WLW (700 AM) is a commercial News/Talk radio station licensed to Cincinnati, Ohio. Owned by iHeartMedia, WLW is a clear-channel station, often identifying itself as The Big One.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Means "women loving women" aka lesbians.
[close]