Author Topic: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread  (Read 3205433 times)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread
« Reply #49140 on: September 01, 2021, 12:15:03 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/surprised-by-unexpected-racist-stereotypes-and-depictions-in-psychonauts-2-late-game-level-spoilers.479416/page-3#post-72398593

User banned (2 weeks): Dismissing concerns of racism by using a significant other as a shield. Your wife can create an account and speak for herself if she wants.

Quote from: HairyFist87 now Deleted member 45130
Quote from: NPTinker
Stop overthinking stuffs, as an Asian this is annoying
I'm not Asian at all but I agree with you. My wife is Asian however and I know that she would be scratching her head at some of the replies here.

Deleted his account over this lmao.

Hell, I would too. He probably thinks if a comment as inoffensive as that results in a ban, why stick around. It's sad to say but he shouldn't have mentioned he isn't Asian. None of the posters who said "I'm Asian and this isn't a racist depiction" got banned.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #49141 on: September 01, 2021, 12:45:30 AM »

the asians  :)

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #49142 on: September 01, 2021, 01:29:00 AM »
white guy with asian wife is my favourite genre of internet poster

Snoopycat_

« Reply #49143 on: September 01, 2021, 07:23:11 AM »
This is definitely going to go well -

I live in NYC and am an artist. I am being mentored by a renown black artist. He is schooling me in the biz. I have began to build a professional and creative network and a lot of them are black and their work is almost always, universally, typified by their blackness. It's so banal and ubiquitous here that it feels like a giant fucking grift, where talent isn't rewarded so much as being black is.

It's getting hard to hold back my tongue and just flat out say,"your work sucks and your blackness is the only reason you're here. Please tell us something about you besides your blackness."

He makes some good points. I bet there's going to be a very rational discussion about his situation.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-banality-of-blackness.480124/

« Reply #49144 on: September 01, 2021, 07:36:20 AM »
Dude is going to be called a house distinguished black fellow so fast his head will  spin.

SmokyDave

« Reply #49145 on: September 01, 2021, 07:40:32 AM »
Yeah, that's going to get abusive and locked in less than two pages.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-banality-of-blackness.480124/#post-72452536

Quote from: Atom
Very interesting read, thanks for sharing your thoughts OP. I will also read that locked thread.

This sort of reminds me of issues I see with creative arts in the Caribbean, where there is also a fine line between celebrating one's culture and ethnicity (which is valued in general at least in the countries I've been to) and making your art solely about that to the exclusion of all else. I think some of the most successful creatives I've seen here never lose sight of what they view as their identity, but leverage all sorts of other ideas (even European/Classical ones) in an interesting kind of syncretism to form something multifaceted and unique. I've more seen this with authors and poets than visual artists, but I'm sure it exists for vis art down here too. I'm quite out of the loop.

Space Lion said:
If black people can make work that resonates with people because it's related to the human condition and aspires as much as it inspires, we can likely gain more international acceptance rather than if we just made black art for black people along ever continuing rigid lines

Related to this I think a lot of people underestimate the degree to which human beings can empathize with and find value in stuff that speaks to them even if made for a cultural context that is reasonably distant from their own. Stuff like Marxism finding a foothold in Caribbean discourse and politics because of the comparisons of the bourgeoisie and proletariat to the masters and enslaved. Or post colonial literature and theory in general, despite being often created in the context of a particular nation in a particular decade following independence, can help influence debate in other countries about general international and cultural imperial relationships.

Regardless, thanks for so clearly explaining your case. Keen to see what discussion comes out of this thread.

The OP and this guy should go and sit in a cafe somewhere and have a nice conversation.

Edit: Locked after 17 replies with no explanation  :lol
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:48:43 AM by SmokyDave »

Snoopycat_

« Reply #49146 on: September 01, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
While the women come and go talking of Michelangelo

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #49147 on: September 01, 2021, 07:49:44 AM »
And it's locked. So much for listening to minorities

Snoopycat_

« Reply #49148 on: September 01, 2021, 07:54:21 AM »
I locked your thread the last time because I said Era isn't the place for you to discuss this- specifically, it's not the place for you to discuss how much you absolutely hate Black people and their accomplishments to the point of delusional historical revisionism, and the fact that a bunch of whites came in completely oblivious to what this was displays why Era isn't the place to discuss this.

No reflection allowed.

Rman

« Reply #49149 on: September 01, 2021, 07:56:41 AM »
The lock message is so off putting: "Bunch of whites". 

Nepenthe lacks tact. 

Snoopycat_

« Reply #49150 on: September 01, 2021, 08:04:37 AM »
I'd love to hear her and Lous Farrakhan have a discussion about the Jews

Rman

« Reply #49151 on: September 01, 2021, 08:06:35 AM »
Permabanned!

Snoopycat_

« Reply #49152 on: September 01, 2021, 08:09:23 AM »
Well, that's a surprise. I wonder if Nep wears a fez while she moderates

« Reply #49153 on: September 01, 2021, 08:09:49 AM »
Nepnep does not fuck around

Snoopycat_

« Reply #49154 on: September 01, 2021, 08:16:54 AM »
She's another one who seems to be very angry all the time. Probably spends a lot of time frowning at baristas and categorizing skull shapes

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #49155 on: September 01, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »
Dude is going to be called a house distinguished black fellow so fast his head will  spin.

sadly, douche monologue got permed

edit: wait, wtf, he's not even regular banned, did I just have a wonderful dream?  ???
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:29:15 AM by GreatSageEqualOfHeaven »

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #49156 on: September 01, 2021, 08:20:35 AM »
"There's more to life and more to me than just the fact i'm a black man"

"Get out"

Rman

« Reply #49157 on: September 01, 2021, 08:27:00 AM »
Guy had to be troll, right?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #49158 on: September 01, 2021, 08:30:10 AM »
"you are black and you are ONLY black"

"white people get to make star wars, but if you make the equivalent of star wars it WILL feature an all black cast, be centered around oppression, and any whites in the story will be there to oppress"

"in terms of artistic/creative statements, exactly one avenue is available to you and you will embrace it or be ostracized like the uncle tom you are"
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #49159 on: September 01, 2021, 08:32:15 AM »
apropos of nothing, Inside Man is a fucking great heist film

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #49160 on: September 01, 2021, 08:34:50 AM »
dude was a fool for starting a thread which would require nuance, deep thoughts and considered opinions, on reset era dot com in the first place :heh
(ice)

SmokyDave

« Reply #49161 on: September 01, 2021, 08:36:58 AM »
"how much you absolutely hate Black people and their accomplishments"

Goddamn, the fragility  :lol

Propagandhim

« Reply #49162 on: September 01, 2021, 09:18:09 AM »
The worst part is how black artists are cajoled into this corral of creative stagnancy. I fear that if my career goals line up, I'll still be forced by my bosses to only make pictures pertaining to blackness. What about the recent Afghan situation? What about the War on Terror? What about the ripple effects that has on views on military? Or Islam/Muslims? I'm really interested in the sociology of what makes us human and the webs that we are connected to, and too often it feels like this is an attitude only afforded by non-black artists. 

This could be such an interesting discussion..and the OP has really insightful thoughts..but Nepenthe has to make sure the only engagement on this whack ass site is "Fuck offff".

This is really interesting to read. Do you feel your career would be limited by creating art not related to your blackness?

Not so fast, there.  Nepenthe doesn't like this thread so fuckofffff.  There's a nice thread about some trailer trash cracker flipping out in a mall that you can bide your time in.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:22:51 AM by Propagandhim »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #49163 on: September 01, 2021, 09:21:40 AM »
they just want to do the twitter outrage cycle but on a message board, not have actual discussions about things :trumps
(ice)

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #49164 on: September 01, 2021, 09:22:06 AM »
The worst part is how black artists are cajoled into this corral of creative stagnancy. I fear that if my career goals line up, I'll still be forced by my bosses to only make pictures pertaining to blackness. What about the recent Afghan situation? What about the War on Terror? What about the ripple effects that has on views on military? Or Islam/Muslims? I'm really interested in the sociology of what makes us human and the webs that we are connected to, and too often it feels like this is an attitude only afforded by non-black artists. 

This could be such an interesting discussion..and the OP has really insightful thoughts..but Nepenthe has to make sure the only engagement on this whack ass site is "Fuck offff".

Well of course. Given that the only notable thing about her is how the color of her skin subjects her to oppression, she’s going to guard that like Cereberus at the gates. And not the cute Hades version either.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #49165 on: September 01, 2021, 09:26:26 AM »
It's amazing to me that her reason for locking it is basically "That people thought your take is interesting shows that this is the wrong place to have this discussion"

Also she basically says that this is a discussion that should only happen amongst black people but then also bans him for anti-black racism...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:33:47 AM by HaughtyFrank »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #49166 on: September 01, 2021, 09:29:18 AM »
this is a furry, who is in love with a fictional character, who thinks the height of video game story telling is need for speed heats shitty storyline, just because the police are corrupt and dicks :aweshum
(ice)

Rman

« Reply #49167 on: September 01, 2021, 09:39:22 AM »
It's amazing to me that her reason for locking it is basically "That people thought your take is interesting shows that this is the wrong place to have this discussion"

Also she basically says that this is a discussion that should only happen amongst black people but then also bans him for anti-black racism...
Nepenthe also doesn't understand the optics of telling a black person what to think and say. In this case, a black person with very strange views.

That comes off as paternalistic. The OP had some crazy views--I agree.  But if white people are told to shut up about anything black related, why would Nep and Slayven think that white posters would push back? They've been told it's not something they should participate in.

Clearly, that OP does have issues. That is true.  But why does Nep think it's on white poster to police what a black person thinks? Even if it is problematic. Especially since the narrative is that white people are not allowed to tell black people what to think.

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #49168 on: September 01, 2021, 09:40:38 AM »
Nepenthe is like Carlton Banks joined the Black Panthers.
OBE

Propagandhim

« Reply #49169 on: September 01, 2021, 09:45:32 AM »

Nepenthe also doesn't understand the optics of telling a black person what to think and say. In this case, a black person with very strange views.

That comes off as paternalistic. The OP had some crazy views--I agree.  But if white people are told to shut up about anything black related, why would Nep and Slayven think that white poster would push back? They've been told it's not something they should participate in.

Clearly, that OP does have issues. That is true.  But why does Nep think it's on white poster to police what a black person thinks? Even if it is problematic. Especially since the narrative is that white people are not allowed to tell black people what to think.

I don't think it was crazy.  OP was complaining that all the art from his inner circle of black artists is inward-facing and identarian instead of outward-facing and he laid out his concerns with that - specifically ones he fears about his own career.  Seems like a worthwhile discussion.   Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, maybe he has a perception bias, and that could've been revealed to him within the conversation.  It would have been interesting, at least.  To just wholesale shut down conversation because Nepenthe is the most sensitive person on earth is really just obnoxious.  They could not have picked a worse forum mod.

Rman

« Reply #49170 on: September 01, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »

That comes off as paternalistic. The OP had some crazy views--I agree.  But if white people are told to shut up about anything black related, why would Nep and Slayven think that white poster would push back? They've been told it's not something they should participate in.

I don't think it was crazy.  OP was complaining that all the art from his inner circle of black artists is inward-facing and identarian instead of outward-facing and he laid out his concerns with that - specifically ones he fears about his own career.  Seems like a worthwhile discussion.   Maybe he's right, maybe he's wrong, maybe he has a perception bias, and that could've been revealed to him within the conversation.  It would have been interesting, at least.  To just wholesale shut down conversation because Nepenthe is the most sensitive person on earth is really just obnoxious.  They could not have picked a worse forum mod.

Some of the OP's sentences came off as "all black people" instead of his group.  It could've been a decent discussion if he didn't use blanket statements.

Nep is also an Admin, not just a mod.

Propagandhim

« Reply #49171 on: September 01, 2021, 10:01:40 AM »

Some of the OP's sentences came off as "all black people" instead of his group.  It could've been a decent discussion if he didn't use blanket statements.

Yeah, that's a good point.  Definitely would be another good talking point for the thread, but that's an impossible discussion to have on that site.  I don't have any of these experiences, so I'd definitely find it interesting to hear from black artists if they'd only allow the convo.  I'm sure users would even give light to and point out black artists that counter the OP's view, and maybe open his eyes.  That would be something.

Rman

« Reply #49172 on: September 01, 2021, 10:05:13 AM »

Yeah, that's a good point.  Definitely would be another good talking point for the thread, but that's an impossible discussion to have on that site.  I don't have any of these experiences, so I'd definitely find it interesting to hear from black artists if they'd only allow the convo.  I'm sure users would even give light to and point out black artists that counter the OP's view, and maybe open his eyes.  That would be something.

Yeah, there’s a big part of ERA that just shy’s away from discussion.  That’s why there’s never really growth there.  The posting populace remains in arrested development.

SmokyDave

« Reply #49173 on: September 01, 2021, 10:09:14 AM »

Eh, that place is quick to point out that blanket generalisations are OK because if it doesn’t describe you, it isn’t talking about you. Normally I would agree with your point, but those cats set the rules, so I want to see them live by them.

Alternatively, they could stop making stupid generalisations about other groups, but we all know that ain’t happening.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #49174 on: September 01, 2021, 10:10:43 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/went-on-a-first-date-agreed-to-split-the-check-later-got-ghosted.479488/

Up front I told her I’m cool with going Dutch on a first date and she agreed that worked for her. At all the places we went I figured I’d just put in the card and she and I agreed we could figure things out over Venmo later.

I gotta say, I’m pretty sure she ghosted me on the bill.

Took them 48 hours to figure out they paid for everything....when they paid for everything.

:lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #49175 on: September 01, 2021, 10:16:34 AM »

Eh, this shit is why there's barely any proper discussions happening anymore nowadays. Instead of engaging with the points being brought up people are just looking for things to get offended about.

If it came across that way, refute it. Show they guy that his way of thinking is wrong and he's too stuck in his own bubble. Maybe he'd have grown as a person after the thread.

Nah, just shut it down because I didn't like the way they said it.

BikeJesus

« Reply #49176 on: September 01, 2021, 10:22:24 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/roe-v-wade-technically-planned-parenthood-v-casey-effectively-overturned-in-texas.480031/post-72452956

At least the Taliban are pretending they are becoming more accepting of women.

In America it is a race to the bottom and you get celebrated for being the most awful guy in the room.

"Correction, you do not, in fact, have to hand it to them".

ShutUp

« Reply #49177 on: September 01, 2021, 10:27:30 AM »
Yes, American women are treated on the same level as women having to deal with the fucking Taliban every day of their lives. Spot on.

Himu

« Reply #49178 on: September 01, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »
Lmao what bubble? I'm not in a bubble. It's my job as a black artist to know black artists and black art. Also, as a black person I have lived my entire life observing this.

Who is the most famous black director? Spike Lee? His entire career is nothing but about blackness  as a topic. Ever since Inside Man he regurgitates more stories about blackness. Is blackness important? Absolutely. But is that all there is?

Does black art exist outside of the confines of blackness? Sure. But it's a small minority of work.

Look at the current crop of film black directors coming up. Jordan Peele. Regina King. What do their films talk about? Blackness. Blackness is boring when it's all you have to articulate. I was going to say before the thread was locked that focusing stories solely on black pain benefits nobody but white people. These days black visual media is full of black pain porn. Lovecraft Country. Them;etc. are just reminders of black people's place in society. It's a way for white people to treat black people like animals that need help rather than expressing a full spectrum of human experience which further creates a victim mentality in black people.

One thing I'll compliment Peele for is that unlike the others he appears to be smart. The film Us doesn't bring up the topic of blackness. Frankly, I almost no longer care about the topic. Instead, it's a horror film that stars a nearly all black cast. Do what white people do and treat black as normal by making films that star black people without bringing up the fact they're black. More Love and Basketball less Lovecraft Country.

When is a black film director going to make films like Parasite that have things to say about society without bringing up the topic of blackness? I challenge them to do this.
IYKYK

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #49179 on: September 01, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »

« Reply #49180 on: September 01, 2021, 10:41:48 AM »

That comes off as paternalistic. The OP had some crazy views--I agree.  But if white people are told to shut up about anything black related, why would Nep and Slayven think that white posters would push back? They've been told it's not something they should participate in.

This is honestly one of the most unsettling things around the culture Era has cultivated to me--there is only one acceptable way to be a part of any marginalized group. People not in the group shouldn't talk about it, at all, and just listen to people in that group. But if your opinions don't align with Era's sanctioned view of what you should think/feel as a member of that group, you are extremely discouraged from presenting an alternate viewpoint because reasons.

I get why they need it--it's easier to do their ranking-of-grievances when trying to figure out how to navigate situations where different marginalized groups come in conflict if you can boil each group down to just 1 thing--but it effectively creates situations where you can't do anything but reinforce whatever the current admin-approved take on things.

thetylerrob

« Reply #49181 on: September 01, 2021, 10:51:28 AM »
I don't believe that Incel has ever gone on a date. Morrigan may have though.

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #49182 on: September 01, 2021, 10:56:55 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/went-on-a-first-date-agreed-to-split-the-check-later-got-ghosted.479488/page-13#post-72453730

User Banned (Permanently): Misogyny; Prior Ban for Reinforcing Harmful Narratives About Women & Disparaging an Equality Movement

Quote from: BMW
At the end of the day, women like being taken care of. That’s it. Doesn’t matter how much money they make - they want to feel cared for.

Some of y’all will stay “progressive” and single for the rest of your lives. Every game has rules - that’s life. Many folks here understand that and some don’t.

Edit:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/opposite-sex-friendships-still-tricky-after-all-these-years.62059/page-3#post-11487034

User Banned (2 Weeks): Reinforcing harmful narratives about women + disparaging an equality movement,

Quote from: BMW
In today's environment, one false accusation can bring Ninja down. As a celebrity he always has a target on his back. Better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 11:04:14 AM by Hap Shaughnessy »
OBE

ShutUp

« Reply #49183 on: September 01, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »
Morrigan definitely didnt like that reply.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #49184 on: September 01, 2021, 11:07:42 AM »
bmw eh? :success
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #49185 on: September 01, 2021, 11:20:15 AM »
When is a black film director going to make films like Parasite that have things to say about society without bringing up the topic of blackness? I challenge them to do this.

Steve McQueen did some of those with Shame and Hunger.

SmokyDave

« Reply #49186 on: September 01, 2021, 11:26:39 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-atlantics-anne-abblebaum-cancel-culture-is-destroying-democracy.480208/

Boy howdy, the plate is full today. Time to dig up some of Anne's old tweets and cancel deplatform her.

Oh, and if anyone from Era reads this, here's one to wring your hands over: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/uk-academic-sues-university-losing-role-critical-race-theory-row-leeds-beckett

Edit:
Quote from: Slayven
Who has been canceled?

White people love fearing the thought they might actually be called out on something
Oop, there's one already. Read my second link, Slay ;)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #49187 on: September 01, 2021, 11:35:15 AM »

©@©™

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #49188 on: September 01, 2021, 11:44:13 AM »
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing Concerns Around Transphobia; Whataboutism Over a Series of Posts
Just remember how long it took Disney to fire that dumbass Gina Carano. This situation really fucking sucks, because Black Panther needs to continue to do well as a movie franchise but not by highlighting such a dangerous actor.
What Letitia tweeted is nothing compared to the bile Carano spewed over and over again on a regular basis.

And again I will say there are perfectly good, decent people that have concerns, doubts, anxiety of the vaccines and it doesn't make them shitty people. It means they might be poorly educated and need someone to explain through their doubts.
Just because someone is famous it doesn't mean they're smart, and just because someone has concerns it doesn't mean they're malicious. Stop viewing everything as black and white, us and them.
:huh

ShutUp

« Reply #49189 on: September 01, 2021, 11:51:07 AM »
“Any examples”? Try every thread where someone says something you don’t agree with  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #49190 on: September 01, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
Era meta-commentary:

Fuck Kanye, he has nothing good to add to society. We should adopt authoritarian tactics and pretend he does not exist on Era, that’ll surely cut off his main stream of income because the world will stop buying albums and Yeezys so he’ll pay for the bad things he’s done. Also, IDGAF if he’s mentally ill, just get him off of my screen. If you acknowledge mental illness, that only means your using it as an excuse, and it’s better to just ignore it. No, I will not use ignore thread features because I think restricting the amount of topics/perspectives/nuance we have on topics anyone can discuss on this platform is how we solve problems. If you talk about Kanye, that means you support every single thing he has done and I’m just going to assume your sending direct deposits to Kanye because you love him so much. I am, of course, above this because I am made of 100% pure morality and would not be caught dead engaging with anything morally ambiguous or complicated. No, you cannot purity test me, but I will purity test you. If you acknowledge anything good he could possibly do, that means your an enabler because you should be dehumanizing him instead.

Actual Kanye discussion on Era:

Damn this song about his marriage collapsing is really emotional. I can’t imagine what he’s going through but I can feel it and has me thinking. He put DaBaby on a song? We all agree that’s a bad look, he shouldn’t be doing that, he knows better and is irresponsibly grifting off of controversy, which is harmful to the LGBTQ+ community. This is difficult and hypocritical, given that Kanye broke down barriers with his outwardly supportive of gay people earlier in his career and helped enable their careers. He should know better, but is this due to unresolved trauma, or is it narcissism/attention-seeking, or does it have to do with his complex relationship with Christianity across his career? It’s probably all of the above, let’s discuss all the evidence related to each. How can we reconcile such a conflicting figure, and how does this mean we should treat celebrities? How can we reinforce the positive things they do while reprimanding them for the bad? Kanye won’t stop existing, so what can we do about it?

This is also why Hip-Hop-Era discussions are so much better, because the Etcetera shitposters who have no meaningful ideas to contribute are quarantined in OT where they can virtue-signal and stereotype to one another about what they think Kanye discussion is like without taking a single glance at the thing they’re outraged about.

Thread after thread it’s all about “can’t believe the stans are defending them” while in the thread EVERYONE is condemning him. KTT collapsed under the weight of his Trump bullshit. Many stans outright stopped listening to his music in protest or won’t give him a dime for it anymore.

No wonder they want all discussion gone if it threatens to expose they’re just posturing about stuff they don’t want to take 10 seconds to verify. God forbid inflammatory drive-by reactions ever get moderated against though, right?
Now this is what you call a nuanced discussion that most people on Era are on too high of a horse to engage with. Look it’s okay to speak out against the stuff Kanye does and says and the people he associates with, but if you want to turn to virtue signalling just to prove how much of a better person you are, sorry, drop the ego and and get off of Era and get out in the real world and make a difference a and be the change you’d like to see in the world. In the real world, you can’t block out and cancel people/topics you disagree with, you have to engage with them or just walk away and leave it at that. But regardless, people you disagree with will still be around and you’ll still run into them whether it be at a grocery store or in a work environment. It’s okay to have discussion on topics that are uncomfortable and I’m saying all this as a queer person who was once also trying to virtue signal to everyone around me about how morally good I am by calling out every little thing that bothered or triggered me. But I grew up and matured and see now that life is not as black and white or simple as we’d like to imagine. I promise you life is far more interesting and rewarding being pushed outside your own comfort zone and exploring beyond that binary perspective of “good vs bad”, “light vs dark” on everything.
le epic troll

Himu

« Reply #49191 on: September 01, 2021, 11:55:48 AM »

Steve McQueen did some of those with Shame and Hunger.

I notice that Black Britons are afforded this type of creativity more than Americans or are more willing to go after it. I'm a fan. So they definitely exist, but within a limited stratum within black America.

I think in the past black people in America were more willing to transplant our culture in more creative ways without directly referencing blackness itself. For a random answer let's take a spurious example The Last Dragon: it doesn't speak to blackness and yet is blackness defined. It just is. it does not drown itself in the politics of being black. It's just a kung fu martial arts cast that mostly features black people.
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #49192 on: September 01, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »

also shutting it down so heavy handedly just leads the OP becoming more confident that they're correct, as well as observers getting an inkling that there might be a grain of truth there

if it's truly wrong, it wouldn't survive the crucible of actual debate and conversation

now? you know it's right just because you can't talk about it

Uncle

Himu

« Reply #49193 on: September 01, 2021, 12:04:34 PM »

also shutting it down so heavy handedly just leads the OP becoming more confident that they're correct, as well as observers getting an inkling that there might be a grain of truth there

if it's truly wrong, it wouldn't survive the crucible of actual debate and conversation

now? you know it's right just because you can't talk about it

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I was talking to PD about this months ago and we both came to the conclusion that "blackness" whatever that is, is just a fashion statement now.

I'm now convinced blackness within black art at this era at least is a grift. It's a way to get paid.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #49194 on: September 01, 2021, 12:10:42 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/pc-gamer-epic-has-sunk-500m-into-the-epic-games-store-doesnt-expect-to-make-a-profit-until-2027.468012/page-13#post-71171874

Fuckall Zero:
Calling out the guy that literally spoke for us, then said "I don't speak for devs because they have no fucking clue", about their very jobs, is "absolutely disgusting"? What the fuck!?

I'm done here; putting this thread and every single one of you armchair napkin mathematicians on ignore. Keep the circlejerk defending of your favorite megacorporation and taking over devs over stuff you have only hearsay experience about, then wonder why "devs aren't more open".
Follow up:
User banned (2 weeks): Mod-whining and misrepresenting moderation, hostility, cross-thread drama and thread derailment over multiple posts. History of infractions for hostility.
What an odd post to be perma’d over, especially when so many people didn’t seem to have an issue with it. I’ve seen far worse in this forum get punished much less but I guess we shouldn’t poke fun at the Gamers.
This forum's mods are ridiculously, and I mean ridiculously, pro-Steam, in ways that completely lopside the moderation in any thread that even remotely includes Steam. There was some user claiming that devs are fine with the Steam cut; then, when proven wrong through a poll stating the opposite, said (and I quote) "I do not speak for devs because they have no fucking idea". This sort of dev-bashing would be an easy ban in literally any other context; but because it's in support of Steam, the post didn't even get a warning. Dev voices and opinions calling out for a reduction of Steam's cut or criticising Steam in any way are consistently and systematically ridiculed and insulted (even though many of the most prominent pro-developer figures in the industry, like Rami Ismail, constantly raise it). "If you don't like Steam, sell it on your website" is a recurrent cop-out that rarely gets called out, let alone moderated.

Frankly PC-moderating mods need to take a long, hard look at their pro-Steam bias and realize they're engaging in the very same platform wars that are explicitly against the TOS, except they of course wield a disproportionate amount of power that empowers aggressive pro-Steam users to get exemptions from the TOS, while intimidating people with any criticism of Steam (or straight up banning them for making even the most innocent of jokes), making any semblance of "civil discourse" impossible, let alone "triumphant". There can't be any discourse when the rules clearly only apply to one side.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #49195 on: September 01, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
either benji went out of his way to reproduce the links in the quoted post, or he has a secret era account and he was able to hit "reply" to copy paste the message as originally formatted
 :thinking
Uncle

Propagandhim

« Reply #49196 on: September 01, 2021, 12:16:37 PM »
I'm guessing this guy's game wasn't a hot seller on the Steam marketplace. 

benjipwns

« Reply #49197 on: September 01, 2021, 12:20:42 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/surprised-by-unexpected-racist-stereotypes-and-depictions-in-psychonauts-2-late-game-level-spoilers.479416/page-3#post-72398593

User banned (2 weeks): Dismissing concerns of racism by using a significant other as a shield. Your wife can create an account and speak for herself if she wants.

I'm not Asian at all but I agree with you. My wife is Asian however and I know that she would be scratching her head at some of the replies here.

Good thread:
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary Around Racism; Off-Topic Whataboutism

If she was from present day Hong Kong and cared about democracy then i think she'd be right to do so

Edit: In general i agree with you that this games imagery is coming across as racist, I just can't bring myself to defend modern china as an institution.
User Banned (Duration Pending Admin Review): Dismissing concerns of racism.

I'm gonna be honest, this seems like a "Can we be offended by this somehow?" situation to me.
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive and Antagonistic Drive-By; Dismissing Concerns of Racism. Numerous Recent Infractions.

Oh brother this feels like somebody getting offended on someone's behalf.

I hope one day we can move past labelling anything as racist cause good lord even for the most simplest stuff this heavy word gets thrown around lately.
User banned (duration tbd by admin review): Justifying racist stereotypes as "accurate" over multiple posts. Account in junior phase.

But aren't countefeit goods coming in large part from Asia?

Because if I have to represents some "Mafia" character I would make it Italian, because Mafia came from there.
So maybe it's not really about being racist (did they offend the culture?) but trying to connect the game fiction with some kind of connection to the world's present-time problems?

No, this is what happens on Era whenever a minority group comes out and tells people to chill when something is being blown out of proportion regarding their own race / ethnicity. Whenever a minority tries to give a dissenting opinion or their own perspective, they're immediately shot down by the 'White Allies" who know better.
"I don't care so you shouldn't care!"

This thread is fucking gross. No wonder lots of prominent Asian members left this site.
Plus, there are also bad actors claiming they're x or y and it doesn't bother them so they can shut down the argument.
Also internalized racism among minority groups is a real thing.
Also Asian, and yes I agree with this. This is supposed to be offensive?

The amount of dismissiveness coming from Asians in this thread.

Yes it might not be offensive to you, but please remember that not every Asian is the same and not everyone has the same experiences. Yes there may be Asians who have never faced such issues but there are certainly Asians who live in places were there is heavy stereotyping and/or subtle racism. Just because you do not face these issues does not mean they do not exist for other disaspora where evidently a number of members also agree with OP and find issues with the game.
This thread is being temporarily closed as we review an abundance of reports related to it. We will update this post when we are ready to reopen the thread. Thank you for your understanding.
This thread is now reopened. Thank you for your patience.
Quote from: Messofanego
Thank you for the awareness about this. So there really isn't any positive depictions about Asians or Asian culture in the game? Being a South Asian, I'm used to expecting only negative depictions, racism, or victimising portrayals of my culture or home country, so having only one form of representation can be debilitating. Like is this all we are to you?

Propagandhim

« Reply #49198 on: September 01, 2021, 12:33:57 PM »

Good thread:
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissive Commentary Around Racism; Off-Topic Whataboutism

If she was from present day Hong Kong and cared about democracy then i think she'd be right to do so

Edit: In general i agree with you that this games imagery is coming across as racist, I just can't bring myself to defend modern china as an institution.
User Banned (Duration Pending Admin Review): Dismissing concerns of racism.

I'm gonna be honest, this seems like a "Can we be offended by this somehow?" situation to me.
User Banned (Permanent): Dismissive and Antagonistic Drive-By; Dismissing Concerns of Racism. Numerous Recent Infractions.

Oh brother this feels like somebody getting offended on someone's behalf.

I hope one day we can move past labelling anything as racist cause good lord even for the most simplest stuff this heavy word gets thrown around lately.
User banned (duration tbd by admin review): Justifying racist stereotypes as "accurate" over multiple posts. Account in junior phase.

But aren't countefeit goods coming in large part from Asia?

Because if I have to represents some "Mafia" character I would make it Italian, because Mafia came from there.
So maybe it's not really about being racist (did they offend the culture?) but trying to connect the game fiction with some kind of connection to the world's present-time problems?

No, this is what happens on Era whenever a minority group comes out and tells people to chill when something is being blown out of proportion regarding their own race / ethnicity. Whenever a minority tries to give a dissenting opinion or their own perspective, they're immediately shot down by the 'White Allies" who know better.
"I don't care so you shouldn't care!"

This thread is fucking gross. No wonder lots of prominent Asian members left this site.
Plus, there are also bad actors claiming they're x or y and it doesn't bother them so they can shut down the argument.
Also internalized racism among minority groups is a real thing.
Also Asian, and yes I agree with this. This is supposed to be offensive?

The amount of dismissiveness coming from Asians in this thread.

Yes it might not be offensive to you, but please remember that not every Asian is the same and not everyone has the same experiences. Yes there may be Asians who have never faced such issues but there are certainly Asians who live in places were there is heavy stereotyping and/or subtle racism. Just because you do not face these issues does not mean they do not exist for other disaspora where evidently a number of members also agree with OP and find issues with the game.
This thread is being temporarily closed as we review an abundance of reports related to it. We will update this post when we are ready to reopen the thread. Thank you for your understanding.
This thread is now reopened. Thank you for your patience.
Quote from: Messofanego
Thank you for the awareness about this. So there really isn't any positive depictions about Asians or Asian culture in the game? Being a South Asian, I'm used to expecting only negative depictions, racism, or victimising portrayals of my culture or home country, so having only one form of representation can be debilitating. Like is this all we are to you?

Videogames sure are fun.

Himu

« Reply #49199 on: September 01, 2021, 12:34:57 PM »
How do I get my posts on Reset deleted?

IYKYK