Author Topic: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread  (Read 3136717 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread
« Reply #2400 on: February 09, 2020, 06:32:58 PM »
So you maybe wondering what am I asking? Get stricter bans for racism. I also ask that the mods (the white ones especially) learn to recognize with someone is throwing thinly veiled racism like its confetti because jesus people throw that stuff around like snow here.
What a horrible racist forum :fbm
🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #2401 on: February 09, 2020, 06:33:39 PM »
It must be so nice to be able to blame all your shortcomings in life on your skin color.

Nah, fuck this line of thinking too.

BCT insanity is independent of skin color.

BrokenEchelon

« Reply #2402 on: February 09, 2020, 06:35:29 PM »
It must be so nice to be able to blame all your shortcomings in life on your skin color.

Nah, fuck this line of thinking too.

BCT insanity is independent of skin color.

Yeah, you're right. I wouldn't want to be that soft of a whiny bitch.

samir

« Reply #2403 on: February 09, 2020, 06:36:36 PM »
BCT really are a bunch of thin-skinned little bitches  :lol

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2404 on: February 09, 2020, 06:38:53 PM »
What I like most is that they're basically saying the mods are a bunch of racists but that seems to fly over the heads of the mod team  :lol.
🤴

Coffee Dog

« Reply #2405 on: February 09, 2020, 06:39:08 PM »
Quote from: molnizzle
I’m not black, should I be able to post here?

:lol

Boredfrom

« Reply #2406 on: February 09, 2020, 06:39:41 PM »
Quote from: PirateBee
. Are we aware of our own biases? Absolutely. That is why we are trying to have more meetings like this, so that we hear your concerns, understand what you'd like to see changed, and address other problems the community may have. As Mist said, we are actively looking for more black staff so that they can add their voice to bans and reports and help us change this community in a way that benefits all.

That question is also one that we get asked during our interviews for the position. As an ancedote.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2407 on: February 09, 2020, 06:42:18 PM »
So, in that respect, I'll take responsibility for site-wide failures to address y'alls concerns. I apologize. But you should know as well as anyone urban I'm aware of how annoyingly banal and suffocating this place can be the moment you want to talk about black issues and goings-on. What I want to do is to be able to more carve out more space for us to breathe, yanno? How I'm going to that policy-wise is what I want to figure out asap.
:snoop
🤴

Boredfrom

« Reply #2408 on: February 09, 2020, 06:42:51 PM »
Quote from: Delphine
If those people haven't been banned already, that's definitely an error. It's something we have definitely been banning for. If some posts haven't been banned for that, it either was not reported, or there was an error on our side.

Racism is absolutely a thing in Europe, as many of our own mods from there can personally attest (as a French, I definitely agree that it absolutely exists). Mist has been a long time mod captain, and is a Black British woman, and has therefore weighed in on the moderation of such threads, as have our other European and PoC staff.

If a poster is saying as such they can, and should, be actioned as if they were dismissing the existence of racism itself. If you see it, please report it, because it is definitely something that violates our rules.

How long until they throw Mist under the bus?

Coffee Dog

« Reply #2409 on: February 09, 2020, 06:42:59 PM »
They...bother holding interviews for mod positions?  :lol

samir

« Reply #2410 on: February 09, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »
Why don't they create their own forum? What's the point of keep coming to a site where you mostly stick to a single thread because all other threads are full of racists?

Boredfrom

« Reply #2411 on: February 09, 2020, 06:46:02 PM »
Quote from: DiZ
Kind of feel like you all aren't listening. So MY community is going to keep eating it for the sake of others.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #2412 on: February 09, 2020, 06:47:04 PM »
They...bother holding interviews for mod positions?  :lol

So tell me, where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Can we trust you to do the right thing when Nintendo is offended?

How many times have you been to Disney land this year?

Can you tell me the current Box Office take of Frozen 2?
🤴

BrokenEchelon

« Reply #2413 on: February 09, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
Why don't they create their own forum? What's the point of keep coming to a site where you mostly stick to a single thread because all other threads are full of racists?

Because the pathetic fucks thrive on the drama. All they have in their lives is LARPing against the evil white man on a video game forum.

Boredfrom

« Reply #2414 on: February 09, 2020, 06:53:22 PM »
Quote from: spinluck
When it comes to racism there isn't much room for a grey area or any kind of nuance. You either are or you're not. You're either against or for it regardless of your background. You either perpetuate it and tolerate it on some level or you shoot that shit down on-site.

If someone says something kinda racist it's still racist and I'm sure they probably have plenty more to say. I'm not asking for a witch hunt or for new rules, just more understanding, more awareness, and some empathy for black uses/issues. I generally enjoy using ERA but I'm just kind of over it in regards to racial issues.

Also, for the love of God, not voting Trump doesn't exempt apparent blindspots and I feel like that's an issue with how the site carries itself when it comes to racially sensitive issues. Neither does living in Europe which apparently (based off personal anecdotes on here) is the least racist place on the planet :lol.

It's cool to dogpile racist assholes who lose their job after racist shit, but ask anyone to look into the mirror that is white liberalism, white privilege, or even white feminism on here and you're kind of dismissed on here or end up in a room full of crickets. It's like, "oh hey bud, I'm not Republican/live in Siberia so my work here is done!" What kind of bar is that?

It's all good though, I know it's not high on people's priority but yeah, I'm not really sure what else to do or say at this point. Guess I'll just keep speaking up when I can.

Anyway, thanks for the thread.

Is not BCT the first group to mock the idea that labeling people as racist is not big deal or not live changing event?

Boredfrom

« Reply #2415 on: February 09, 2020, 06:54:49 PM »
Quote from: DiZ
Yo, most of us would get booted for repeat offenses simply because of language. We've already lost so much. 

:doge

Boredfrom

« Reply #2416 on: February 09, 2020, 06:57:24 PM »
Quote from: Nephente
I know I'm black but I'll respond anyway.

We're aware we have biases. That was the point in hiring a diverse staff in the first place. If I'm around, black issues are deferred to me and other black mods. If it's something LGBT related that I can't easily parse, I hand it off to LGBT staff, and so on and do forth. Just know that internally we defer to the relevant staffers' judgement and go from there.

So, in that respect, I'll take responsibility for site-wide failures to address y'alls concerns. I apologize. But you should know as well as anyone urban I'm aware of how annoyingly banal and suffocating this place can be the moment you want to talk about black issues and goings-on. What I want to do is to be able to more carve out more space for us to breathe, yanno? How I'm going to that policy-wise is what I want to figure out asap.

Maybe the reason why are you so inefficient in moderating black issues is that you require specialized mods to deal with those threads?

Boredfrom

« Reply #2417 on: February 09, 2020, 07:00:04 PM »
Quote from: B-Dubs
. One suggestion we've had recently was to include something in the General Guide about being careful about posting personally identifiable information. And putting out a site-wide alert to let users know that the General Guide was updated.   

HOLY SHIT ARE YOU THIS CLUELESS?

Boredfrom

« Reply #2418 on: February 09, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »
Quote from: Nephente
The last staffer to leave left by their own choice, not as a group decision, despite none of us wanting them to go.

I personally agree that we should rally around our staff when people are wanting their head (unless it's some real egregious bullshit), especially minority staff because we're having to contend with bad faith on and off-site. But that can be impossible to do when the act of rallying is seen as "protecting problematic people," or "covering up" some grand conspiracy, or "making it all about you," and you're just trying to put the fire out and get people to calm down.

The last row taught me when to recognize when a situation that deserves moderating, deserves speaking up, just isn't worth doing so in the grand scheme of solving the issue (the issue at the time being "how can I personally get people to understand that I care about their concerns and comfort on ERA?") because you are the one with authority, and that authority implicitly takes precedence in a conversation like this one about how that authority is being misapplied or abused. It doesn't matter that the authority is meaningless (I can't put any of this on my resume), or that an authoritative action would be entirely justified in individual circumstances in any other context.

The fact that you are a staffer means that any pushback over any undue or unjust behavior in these circumstances is going to be construed as speaking over people and shutting them out which, again, would've served the opposite purpose in that situation. If you trying to do something for a bunch of people, sometimes you really do just need to shut the fuck up, else you risk completely burning the bridge. And I'm not trying to victimize myself; merely tell you how it is.

I know that's probably bullshit to you, but honestly after going through it I can't give you a better answer regarding the issue of moderators getting attacked under the perception that they are aiding in a pertinent issue that is blowing up across the entire forum. My hope is that it simply never happens again, so I don't HAVE to deal with it again. But yeah, what you say hasn't been lost on me, or the rest of staff. If nothing else, I think that speaks to a cultural issue here that I might not necessarily be capable of sol

A lot of words just to admit they throw Royalan under the bus just to shut up TransEra and they didn’t particularly care about the reasons why...

Coffee Dog

« Reply #2419 on: February 09, 2020, 07:09:43 PM »
Quote from: Nepenthe
The last staffer to leave left by their own choice, not as a group decision, despite none of us wanting them to go.

:isthis is this supporting acephobia?

Boredfrom

« Reply #2420 on: February 09, 2020, 07:16:02 PM »
The last row taught me when to recognize when a situation that deserves moderating, deserves speaking up, just isn't worth doing so in the grand scheme of solving the issue (the issue at the time being "how can I personally get people to understand that I care about their concerns and comfort on ERA?")

But you don’t care, Nephente. You never did. You care about your own comfort and the idea of Era as some sort of bastion for progress in the Internet. You don’t care about individuals or even some groups at Era.

Snoopycat_

« Reply #2421 on: February 09, 2020, 07:28:38 PM »
"He'll always have his small core of hard core lobster boys but like most alt right grifters once your usefulness runs out or you become damaged goods they drop you like a bad habit. He's lucky he's an ok looking straight white man as that gives you a bit more rope to hang yourself with but it doesn't really do much more than delay the inevitable. When you're base is a bunch of fickle pricks who pride themselves on not giving a shit about others then you shouldn't expect them to hang around when you look weak and can't push the narrative like you used to."

Hmmm.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2422 on: February 09, 2020, 07:49:08 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/first-look-at-kristen-wiig-as-cheetah.169080/#post-28949178

Quote from: Stinkles, post: 28949178, member: 5609
I wonder if she’ll flash her big ole untrimmed James Corden in a gruesome dance routine?

:what

Reported to my local mod captains, thanks for the head-up.  This kind of filth cannot stand on ResetEra.

Had that been about a MAHVEL!!! movie, somebody who posted something like that would've been banned and the account deleted.

Account is still unbanned.
:rage

Your recent report has been resolved: Post in thread 'First look at Kristen Wiig as cheetah' - Thank you for your report, user has now been warned. Have a nice day!
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary

:kermit
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2423 on: February 09, 2020, 08:20:03 PM »
for any era folk who might come here to look up the metacommentary surrounding the ongoing BCC staff meeting

it's increasingly concerning that administrator b-dubs has never addressed his behaviour back on gaf yet
Uncle

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2424 on: February 09, 2020, 08:24:45 PM »
With regards to doxxing from off site, is there any way to hide/scramble usernames for people viewing the site who aren't registered/logged in? It was still allow people to view all the discussion, although it might make it a little confusing to follow quotes and specifically who said what, but I think if they cared enough they could always make an account
Actually the more I think about it, if a user wanted to deactivate their account to end any tracking and start a fresh account, how would they go about that?
Such measures have already been taken in the past indeed, in cases where users were genuinely afraid for their safety, brought it up to us in private, talked about it and then we created a new account for them in order for them to escape harassment and doxxing. This is certainly something we can entertain should the situation be so dire that the safety of the user is severely compromised.

We also are willing to help members out with tips on how to avoid further attention from hate sites on their new account if this is something they're interested in.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2425 on: February 09, 2020, 08:26:22 PM »

D i Z is ridiculously aggro  :whew
Uncle

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2426 on: February 09, 2020, 08:33:54 PM »
It's exhausting constantly giving a shit and feeling like nobody who can do something about it gives as much of a shit as you do.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-staff-meeting-with-the-black-community.169243/post-28982193

imagine being this melodramatic over posting about comic movies on the internet

benita

« Reply #2427 on: February 09, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »
Quote from: username removed as I ain't no dirty doxxer
I know ad revenue and so on, but EtcEra shouldn't even be a publicly-viewable forum. I wanted to make this point during the dialogue about TransEra issues and I think it's appropriate to make here. The off-site targeting and doxxing of black posters (and trans posters, and minority community posters in general) has a chilling effect on posting.

So start an email chain?

:rage

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #2428 on: February 09, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
I'll be real. It kind of feels and works out that this is the case. We went thru so much shit on Gaf and we got it worse here????? Should have never helped the migration and stayed with our people.
Oi Oi

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2429 on: February 09, 2020, 08:52:59 PM »
Quote from: Urban Scholar
Anyway I'm sure you mods know what microagressions are. And we see experience them daily on here. Asking for less white protags in triple A games? We get it. Ask for more game devs whom aren't white about diversity in games? We get it.

wait

saying that triple A games need fewer white protagonists is a microaggression?

saying we need more non-white game devs is a microaggression?

is he saying it's already well known so saying so is just rubbing it in?
Uncle

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2430 on: February 09, 2020, 08:54:25 PM »
insane people: ban everyone we want right when we say so, also make half the forum private so no one can mock us for our crazy posts
mods: probably not gonna work like that
insane people: SO TIRED OF THIS SHIT

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2431 on: February 09, 2020, 08:55:21 PM »
Just got banned on RE for reporting Stinkles' account, then posting about it on here.  :lol :rofl

:mindblown

You have been banned for the following reason: Troll account..

How am I trolling?  They seriously just banned me for doing nothing wrong on their site.  :lol
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2432 on: February 09, 2020, 08:56:28 PM »
yeah its a bummer when mods ban people for a dumb reason :-*

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #2433 on: February 09, 2020, 08:57:20 PM »
If Ree is serious about racism, then they would ban even more when people are racist against Asians, but they don't because they also buy into the model minority stereotype. That's my hot take and now you have read it.  :takei

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Bore needs more Asian emotes.
[close]

BrokenEchelon

« Reply #2434 on: February 09, 2020, 08:58:48 PM »
You DO realize at this very second we have bunch of fucking lowlife dorks who are reading this thread, posting their screen caps, making their halfass jokes and shitty comments obsessing over a forum they don't post on?? (hi, fucking dorks)

DUDE I'M LIVING IN YOUR HEAD RENT-FREE. OOOGABOOGAAA

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2435 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:06 PM »
if exposed thighs are :wag than so are hairy pussy jokes. suck it resetti >:( :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2436 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:13 PM »
I mean maybe they say you joking about how your report was a troll?

It wasn't though, lmao.  Plus I'm posting it about on here and not on RE.  I have done nothing with my RE account- so clearly I have been banned for talking about REEEE on this board. 
:yikes
ど助平

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #2437 on: February 09, 2020, 08:59:59 PM »
You DO realize at this very second we have bunch of fucking lowlife dorks who are reading this thread, posting their screen caps, making their halfass jokes and shitty comments obsessing over a forum they don't post on?? (hi, fucking dorks)

They called us dorks!
Oi Oi

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2438 on: February 09, 2020, 09:00:11 PM »
that's a big oof
Uncle

BrokenEchelon

« Reply #2439 on: February 09, 2020, 09:03:03 PM »
He keeps using that word, troglodyte. Do you think it's a dog-whistle for white people? Seems like DigitalOp is pretty racist. That's a big problematic yikes-oof.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2440 on: February 09, 2020, 09:05:47 PM »

It wasn't though, lmao.  Plus I'm posting it about on here and not on RE.  I have done nothing with my RE account- so clearly I have been banned for talking about REEEE on this board. 

to be fair they didn't say you were trolling or did anything in particular wrong

they just said troll account

trolls live under bridges and era is the largest most elaborate cantilever there ever was
Uncle

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2442 on: February 09, 2020, 09:07:34 PM »

to be fair they didn't say you were trolling or did anything in particular wrong

they just said troll account

trolls live under bridges and era is the largest most elaborate cantilever there ever was

Discrimination!
 :gamergate :rethread :gamergate :rethread
ど助平

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #2443 on: February 09, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »
Quote from: digitalop
However all off this bleeds into one another. None of this shit is separate. How could it be? Life affects the Web, the Web loops back to affect IRL. Its the synergy of the modern world that we live. Especially now in our current times.
每天生气

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #2444 on: February 09, 2020, 09:09:52 PM »
every time this thread has a title change i click on it only to quickly find out i've been dragged into tyler's cesspit fu all

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2445 on: February 09, 2020, 09:11:32 PM »

Oh; sure seemed like you were joking.  Guess you are just a huge prude who plays pedo video games, odd.

Interesting that I appear to have been perm'd for that.  No warning, no messages, nothing.  Would love to know who did this without checking my account, but you know what?

I'M FREE!
:rejoice
ど助平

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #2446 on: February 09, 2020, 09:16:48 PM »

Oh; sure seemed like you were joking.  Guess you are just a huge prude who plays pedo video games, odd.

Interesting that I appear to have been perm'd for that.  No warning, no messages, nothing.  Would love to know who did this without checking my account, but you know what?

I'M FREE!
:rejoice

Should have done the report through the riotous account :heh

BrokenEchelon

« Reply #2447 on: February 09, 2020, 09:16:54 PM »
They unpinned the black summit thread already. lmao. So soft.

benita

« Reply #2448 on: February 09, 2020, 09:17:38 PM »

They called us dorks!

Don't they do the exact same thing with Twitter/YouTube etc?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2449 on: February 09, 2020, 09:23:18 PM »

They called us dorks!

Don't they do the exact same thing with Twitter/YouTube etc?

era to sites that goof on them

the rest of the internet when era starts calling for boycotts of problematic content

Uncle

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2450 on: February 09, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »
RACISTETERA!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2452 on: February 09, 2020, 09:49:04 PM »
Contacted REEEE support.  I'm sure my account will be unbanned any second now.
:obama

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:crowdlaff :girlaff
[close]
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2453 on: February 09, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »
Quote from: era mod
Finally, there's been a lot of ink spilled about language and hostility. We've said we're going to do better, and we mean it, but I think that something that'd be good is going back through peoples' histories and making sure there's not old bans weighing them down for shit we'd let go under the new rules. Make sure nobody's getting haunted by reports from assholes who reported you then got permed.

entire thread is one long "how can we protect the protected posters even harder"

how does this look to every other user watching from the outside

I bet they wish they had a say in how the forum could be run better and have all the mods prostrate themselves before them

why would anyone ever reply to a BCC member's post for any reason, mods are making it clear you're getting got for dogwhistles
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #2455 on: February 09, 2020, 10:01:10 PM »
I think that something that'd be good is going back through peoples' histories and making sure there's not old bans weighing them down for shit we'd let go under the new rules
I see.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2456 on: February 09, 2020, 10:02:22 PM »
Just got banned on RE for reporting Stinkles' account, then posting about it on here.  :lol :rofl

:mindblown

You have been banned for the following reason: Troll account..

How am I trolling?  They seriously just banned me for doing nothing wrong on their site.  :lol

©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #2457 on: February 09, 2020, 10:02:45 PM »

Also, just as an addendum, but kinda fuck the business? If we lose people over going "too hard" on racists then they're not people we want here anyway.

does cerium know his moderators are so cavalier about the forum's ability to generate a profit?
Uncle

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #2458 on: February 09, 2020, 10:03:52 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Also, just as an addendum, but kinda fuck the business? If we lose people over going "too hard" on racists then they're not people we want here anyway.

does cerium know his moderators are so cavalier about the forum's ability to generate a profit?

Watch out Rumbler, the doggie mod wars have begun

unless....

e:  Wait people from era read this thread?

......I need to make some account changes
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:16:38 PM by Cauliflower Of Love »

Boredfrom

« Reply #2459 on: February 09, 2020, 10:16:58 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Pretty sure is the reason why he relegated duties to B-Dubs. He knows, he just want to milk the forum as much as possible until the end, while not getting involved.