Author Topic: Serious stonks strategy talk  (Read 109936 times)

BisMarckie

Re: Serious stonks strategy talk
« Reply #1320 on: March 08, 2022, 01:48:25 PM »
I am allergic to nickel, so it getting more expensive is a win in my book.  :doge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1321 on: March 08, 2022, 02:19:15 PM »
:rash

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1322 on: March 08, 2022, 05:49:02 PM »
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #1323 on: March 08, 2022, 06:06:35 PM »
BREAKING: James Fund to acquire exclusive mining rights in Siberia

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1324 on: March 09, 2022, 12:28:13 AM »
Shorting should be illegal.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #1325 on: March 09, 2022, 12:35:20 AM »
The current oligarchs are billionaires because they got everything super cheap last collapse.

Want to be a future oligarch? Get ready to buy the dip
:O

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1326 on: March 09, 2022, 12:36:58 AM »
FUTURE OLIGARCH was Cyberpunk 2077's worst side quest.

james

« Reply #1327 on: March 17, 2022, 09:34:26 PM »
Does anyone know how taxes work? The James Fund is looking to engage with a tax expert.

You should be:

• Independent and ready to take the initiative
  • A team player
  • Masters degree or higher in taxes

Compensation will come in the form of James Fund dividend (after investment).

Slide into my dms with your resume and cover letter!

Bebpo

« Reply #1328 on: April 01, 2022, 06:56:21 PM »
I got my yearly "your pension contribution is in your account and you can use it" letter. I never keep track of things.
I looked at my pension stock account and I totally forgot last year to invest it in anything and it just sat in cash all year  :'(

I'm absolutely terrible at this. No shit if I was a little bit more wealthy I'd hire someone to manage my money. My investments and stuff are awful all around. I make all my money the old fashioned way from my work paychecks.

Like 3-4 years ago I invested my yearly pension amount into MS/Sony/Nintendo so I could have an actual money investment in the game industry which is a big part of my life. They've all done fine, Nintendo > MS > Sony in increases.

I think I'm just gonna put more into those three with my pension money from last year and this year. I could be smarter and invest in Tesla/Google or whatever that will make more money, but I just feel like I'd rather invest in things I know and have some faith in (faith that the game industry isn't going anywhere and Sony/Nintendo/MS aren't going to pull a Sega in the coming decades).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 07:02:28 PM by Bebpo »

Squirrel Killer

« Reply #1329 on: April 02, 2022, 11:09:43 PM »
I got my yearly "your pension contribution is in your account and you can use it" letter. I never keep track of things.
I looked at my pension stock account and I totally forgot last year to invest it in anything and it just sat in cash all year  :'(

I'm absolutely terrible at this. No shit if I was a little bit more wealthy I'd hire someone to manage my money. My investments and stuff are awful all around. I make all my money the old fashioned way from my work paychecks.

Like 3-4 years ago I invested my yearly pension amount into MS/Sony/Nintendo so I could have an actual money investment in the game industry which is a big part of my life. They've all done fine, Nintendo > MS > Sony in increases.

I think I'm just gonna put more into those three with my pension money from last year and this year. I could be smarter and invest in Tesla/Google or whatever that will make more money, but I just feel like I'd rather invest in things I know and have some faith in (faith that the game industry isn't going anywhere and Sony/Nintendo/MS aren't going to pull a Sega in the coming decades).

JFC, I hope this is a bad April Fool's joke I'm just not getting.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1330 on: April 03, 2022, 12:56:08 AM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 03:13:57 PM by team filler »

Bebpo

« Reply #1331 on: April 03, 2022, 01:26:04 PM »

JFC, I hope this is a bad April Fool's joke I'm just not getting.

I mean I said I'm am bad at investing. That sorta explains why what I am doing is bad at investing.

But, that being said in terms of gains, my Nintendo/Sony/MS stocks for the last 4-5 years have beat the "safe" Index fund where the other half my pension is in. The gaming trio is making my pension good money, just not filthy rich Tesla/Crypto 100-1000% kind of returns money. It could be worse. I could not be making money or even losing money. My Index fund gains over the last decade have been like a 25% increase from when I started. Whereas The game trio are 35-75% gains.

A stable 35-75% gain is something I can live with. And like I said, I like putting my money where my mouth is. I believe in videogames and their lasting value and I like having a financial investment in the game industry. I skipped Crypto investing for all these years because I morally don't like it. Could be retired by now maybe if I didn't feel that way, but I do /shrug

Plus I feel there's a good chance I'll be dead before I retire or get to take any of my pension out so this is all pretty vaporware money to me.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1332 on: April 03, 2022, 01:41:30 PM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 03:12:34 PM by team filler »

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #1333 on: April 03, 2022, 01:43:26 PM »
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Bebpo

« Reply #1334 on: April 03, 2022, 01:52:03 PM »
Also maybe to put things into perspective, I'm not talking about a lot of money haha. I know most smart people have a large part of their savings in their pension, but because I've always been pessimistic about surviving to the point of touching that money I've only put the bare minimum in to have something in pension for retirement someday. Again, I'm not good at this. The last time I looked at how the stock market was doing was probably 15-20 years ago. I have enough stress in my life, I don't need to be checking the stock market daily and thinking about investments.

I put about 5% of my gross yearly salary into my pension each year. So it would take like 10-20 years of doing this just to have 1 years worth of salary for me in my pension. I currently at 40 have enough in my pension to live on for like 1-2 years maybe.

While it's terrible for investing and inflation, I've tended to keep most of my savings liquid because I'm always like "maybe I'll buy a house this year" or "maybe I'll get married with an expensive wedding next year" or "maybe I'll fall down some stairs and have a crapload of medical bills" so I like to keep a safety net liquid.

Though if I ever buy a fucking house in this bs market a lot of my savings will just end up tied up in equity in that.

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #1335 on: April 04, 2022, 04:35:52 AM »
why not do the boring thing that buffett recommends and just stick your money into a fund that tracks the s&p500, and never look at it until you retire or need cash for an emergency?

Bebpo

« Reply #1336 on: April 04, 2022, 04:43:47 AM »
Yeah, that's the Index fund that about 50% of my pension money is in. I usually split it when I put money in, 1/2 to that and 1/2 to stuff I want to invest in.

james

« Reply #1337 on: April 05, 2022, 09:27:29 AM »
I'm absolutely terrible at this. No shit if I was a little bit more wealthy I'd hire someone to manage my money.

You dont need to be wealthy to invest with the James Fund! Just $100 gets you in the door and your money will be overseen by a highly experienced investing expert.

Propagandhim

« Reply #1338 on: April 05, 2022, 11:33:00 AM »
I don't want to give life-changing financial advice, but read this article about the Magellan Fund and consider if it sits appropriately within your risk profile and trading activity:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/is-fidelity-magellan-fund-fmagx-a-strong-mutual-fund-pick-right-now-2020-12-15

Tasty

« Reply #1339 on: April 11, 2022, 09:30:16 AM »
How do you all do stonks? :thinking

I want a share of $WBD because I'm a weirdo.

james

« Reply #1340 on: April 11, 2022, 12:55:40 PM »
How do you all do stonks? :thinking

I want a share of $WBD because I'm a weirdo.

Sign up for a service that lets you buy stocks with zero fees, which is most of them at this point.

The kids like Robinhood because you can do it on your phone and it looks good.

Im on Ally because the company I started with was bought by a company that was bought by Ally.

Charles Schwab is good because if you sign up for their checking account - which reimburses all ATM fees around the world - you get forced access to their stock platform.

Bebpo

« Reply #1341 on: April 11, 2022, 03:32:55 PM »
I'm on Schwabb because that's where my company has our pension account.

It has a pretty good clean and easy to use interface. No complaints so far.

Tasty

« Reply #1342 on: April 11, 2022, 10:14:56 PM »
Thanks guys. I was gonna open a new checking account anyways so I think I'll do Schwabb.

I've heard too many bad things about Robinhood to give them a try, but I could be swayed to a similar service.

james

« Reply #1343 on: April 12, 2022, 01:52:06 AM »
Thanks guys. I was gonna open a new checking account anyways so I think I'll do Schwabb.

I've heard too many bad things about Robinhood to give them a try, but I could be swayed to a similar service.

You want this account:
Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account¹
https://www.schwab.com/checking

Unlimited ATM fee rebates worldwide²
When you open your High Yield Investor Checking account, you’ll be opening a brokerage account at the same time and receiving a separate account number for each. You can view both accounts online with a single login, pay no monthly fees, and easily transfer funds between accounts for free.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1344 on: April 12, 2022, 07:12:37 PM »

Remember, RobinHood is the app that shut down trades for its users after the gamestop and related “short“ crowd fucked with Wall Street expectations and were about to cost rich people a bunch of fucking undeserved money. Completely within the rules up to this point, but RobinHood shut everything down on their own customers. They’re now facing a punitive lawsuit, but we saw whose boots they were licking.

james

« Reply #1345 on: April 13, 2022, 09:42:01 AM »
Real talk, this is the best investment right now after you're James Fund

Based on the March inflation report, which concluded the six-month rate setting period for the U.S. Series I Savings Bond, the inflation-adjusted variable rate of the I Bond will rise from the current annualized 7.12% to 9.62% as of the May 1 reset.

This is for all I Bonds, no matter when you purchased them. All I Bonds will get six months of the 9.62% interest rate, but the starting month for the new rate will depend on the month the I Bond was originally issued.

The 7.12% variable rate was already a record high for the I Bond, which was first issued in September 1998. So the new rate of 9.62% will crash through that record high. Possibly, we may never see a rate this high again. Economists have speculated that the March inflation report will set the peak and now we will begin a gradual slide lower. But … who knows?
https://tipswatch.com/2022/04/12/i-bonds-new-variable-rate-will-rise-to-9-62-with-the-may-reset/

These are treasury bonds so zero risk. You need to hold them for a year. If you sell between one year and five years you give up 3 months of interest. You are limited to 10k a year

Also can work well with your taxes but I don't know the details

who is ted danson?

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Tasty

« Reply #1347 on: April 14, 2022, 05:49:34 PM »

You want this account:
Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account¹
https://www.schwab.com/checking

Unlimited ATM fee rebates worldwide²
When you open your High Yield Investor Checking account, you’ll be opening a brokerage account at the same time and receiving a separate account number for each. You can view both accounts online with a single login, pay no monthly fees, and easily transfer funds between accounts for free.

Have a referral code you want me to use?

If this works out I'm going all-in on the James Fund. 8)

Tasty

« Reply #1348 on: April 20, 2022, 03:10:51 AM »
Referral code? bebps? james? :thinking

james

« Reply #1349 on: April 20, 2022, 10:55:57 AM »
Referral code? bebps? james? :thinking

Looks like the referral doesnt work for the account type I am recommending

https://www.schwab.com/refer-a-friend

james

Tasty

« Reply #1351 on: April 22, 2022, 10:46:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/yfinanceplus/status/1517575334710890497

https://twitter.com/maggcapital/status/1517219608649949186

$WBD quarterly results are Tuesday but since it only includes Q1, financials will be purely Discovery-related. That said, we'll likely get a lot of info from the investor call and Q&A.

Tasty

« Reply #1352 on: April 26, 2022, 12:29:40 PM »
$WBD financials today.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/att-spinoff-wbd-stock-price-attractive-51650042510

Good article from Barron's I missed last week.

Deutsche Bank analyst Bryan Kraft called WBD his “top pick in media” in a report this past week. He has a Buy rating and a $48 price target on the stock, upside of almost 90% from current levels.

If WBD can hit those targets, the stock is inexpensive today, at less than seven times enterprise value to 2023 Ebitda. That compares with 11 times 2023 EV/Ebitda for Paramount Global (PARA), 16 times for Walt Disney (DIS), and 19 times for Netflix.

:lawd

Tasty

« Reply #1354 on: April 26, 2022, 04:35:58 PM »
Schwab accounts opened and funding in process. Hoping I can buy while it's still under $20.00, I really feel like a bandit buying in at such a low price lol.

HBO Max is #3 after Disney+ and Netflix and rising pretty quickly. For comparison, $DIS is $115 and even after "tanking" $NFLX is still hovering around $200. $WBD is under twenty bucks at the moment and trending lower.

Someone tell me what I'm not seeing here -- yes, there's a lot of debt, and yes, the CFO admitted WarnerMedia unexpectedly underperformed in Q1, I'm talking about the 1 year/5 year outlook.

Shorters' loss is my gain I suppose so I can't be too mad. :trumps

james

« Reply #1355 on: April 26, 2022, 05:09:55 PM »
Counterpoint

AOLTimeWarner

Tasty

« Reply #1356 on: April 26, 2022, 05:14:19 PM »
Counterpoint

AOLTimeWarner

Not a pure-play media company. $WBD is.

AOL was also on the way out when that merger happened, where as WarnerMedia and Discovery are respectively gaining ground in most of the areas important to investors.

james

« Reply #1357 on: April 26, 2022, 09:08:35 PM »
Counterpoint

AOLTimeWarner

AOL was also on the way out when that merger happened, where as WarnerMedia and Discovery are respectively gaining ground in most of the areas important to investors.

Counterpoint: MGM

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #1358 on: April 26, 2022, 10:13:19 PM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 01:06:09 AM by team filler »

Tasty

« Reply #1359 on: April 26, 2022, 11:11:21 PM »
Counterpoint

AOLTimeWarner

Counterpoint: MGM

Counter-counterpoint: MGM

jorma

« Reply #1360 on: April 27, 2022, 04:33:04 AM »
Schwab accounts opened and funding in process. Hoping I can buy while it's still under $20.00, I really feel like a bandit buying in at such a low price lol.

HBO Max is #3 after Disney+ and Netflix and rising pretty quickly. For comparison, $DIS is $115 and even after "tanking" $NFLX is still hovering around $200. $WBD is under twenty bucks at the moment and trending lower.

Someone tell me what I'm not seeing here -- yes, there's a lot of debt, and yes, the CFO admitted WarnerMedia unexpectedly underperformed in Q1, I'm talking about the 1 year/5 year outlook.

Shorters' loss is my gain I suppose so I can't be too mad. :trumps

ok but you can't see if a stock is expensive by looking at the sp, you need to look at the market cap, netflix is valued at 90 billion and warner at 45 billion.
Now, netflix makes 13 dollars profit per share, wbo makes 0.2 dollars per share and netflix has 3x the subscribers hbo does, so the difference in price is probably justified even if the latest financial reports indicate that hbo has better growth. But if you look at the last three years of revenue wbd is basically flat where netflix has doubled theirs.

i think both stocks are expensive, but not as expensive as disney  :yeshrug

Tasty

« Reply #1361 on: April 27, 2022, 06:51:17 PM »
You make good points :obama

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1362 on: April 27, 2022, 07:16:16 PM »
What sort of event could cause the stock price to actually go up?
The service is launched it will continue to grow and they will continue to add content but I don't really see a 'buy the rumor - sell the news' opportunity here.
In the short term there is just too many subscription services so they will have to spend and spend on content to beat out the competition and stay in the race.
I think the market will consolidate into 2 or 3 of these services.

I think it's an ok investment for the longer term but I don't see rapid growth anytime soon. A lot of those new users are from the recent European launch I suppose(?).

The real winner will be the platform that reaches that Steam godlike status of having to produce little content by themselves but has others making use of their service to publish content.
🤴

james

« Reply #1363 on: April 27, 2022, 08:45:04 PM »

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #1364 on: April 28, 2022, 09:01:27 PM »
james should I buy tesla because it's down
Uncle

james

« Reply #1365 on: April 28, 2022, 10:35:18 PM »
james should I buy tesla because it's down

Tesla has been overpriced for like 5 years. YOLO

Tasty

« Reply #1366 on: April 28, 2022, 11:31:29 PM »
What sort of event could cause the stock price to actually go up?

Literally anything at this point?

"HBO Max combines with Discovery+ today"

"HBO Max adds 20 million subscribers in Q2"

"New HBO series Snickle Snackle edges out Euphoria's premiere numbers"

"The Batman 2 announced as HBO Max Original"

Any of these headlines could at least double $WBD at this point. I'm not saying they're likely, but they are realistic possibilities in the next year.

The service is launched it will continue to grow and they will continue to add content but I don't really see a 'buy the rumor - sell the news' opportunity here.

Investors are dumb and follow headlines. The stock will shoot up on good news, and if there's momentum it'll keep going. $18 for $WBD is undervalued and I still haven't been convinced otherwise, when $NFLX (with no diversified revenue streams and larger content expenditures) is still $200.

This all said, my first two shares of $WBD are sentimental. I only intend to make a profit on future potential purchases.

james

« Reply #1367 on: April 29, 2022, 02:52:58 PM »
Amazon shares sink 14%, on pace for worst day in 17 years

:neogaf :neogaf :sabu :sabu :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #1368 on: May 01, 2022, 10:40:25 AM »
Mostly cause the automaker they coinvested in with Ford has been having a... rough time on the stock market since its IPO.

They would have made $3.3 bil otherwise but that's less than the $4 bil projected last quarter.

So basically they're still fucked :rejoice

james

« Reply #1369 on: May 05, 2022, 11:50:22 AM »
Dow tumbles 1,000 points, Nasdaq drops more than 4% as Wall Street sell-off intensifies

:pika

who is ted danson?

« Reply #1370 on: May 05, 2022, 01:47:29 PM »
Don't want to open my trading account rn  :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
lmao who cares index funds
[close]
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1371 on: May 05, 2022, 03:09:00 PM »
I'm down 8% this year and all my bank is doing is sending me those inclusivity and diversity bullshit ads plus increasing their rates.

Record inflation, insane energy prices and stonks are tanking.

When you go woke, you go broke.
🤴

who is ted danson?

« Reply #1372 on: May 05, 2022, 03:12:09 PM »
Need to send a fax to JPow and tell him to start printing again
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

james

« Reply #1373 on: May 05, 2022, 04:44:25 PM »
Stocks pulled back sharply on Thursday, completely erasing a rally from the prior session in a stunning reversal that delivered investors one of the worst days since 2020.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average lost 1,063 points, or 3.12%, to close at 32,997.97. The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite fell 4.99% to finish at 12,317.69, its lowest closing level since November 2020. Both of those losses were the worst single-day drops since 2020.

:pika

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1374 on: May 05, 2022, 06:37:57 PM »
You're already handing out free crackpipes Joe, why not hire Kudlow to sort out wall street again.

This Brian Deese(?) guy is fucking useless. 

All these Obama people are running the economy into the ground again with their facts and figures.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #1375 on: May 05, 2022, 07:53:53 PM »
Time to buy more cheap $WBD :trumps :heyman :jeb :science

james

« Reply #1376 on: May 09, 2022, 11:04:37 AM »
Dow loses 500 points, S&P 500 tumbles to new low for 2022 as sell-off intensifies

Get ready to buy the dip folks, the bottom is coming, soon, maybe

Tasty

« Reply #1377 on: May 09, 2022, 11:30:11 AM »
NFTs and Bitcoin will be ok right?

Deregulation! Distributed ledgers!

james

« Reply #1378 on: May 09, 2022, 01:43:56 PM »
NFTs and Bitcoin will be ok right?