Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 191410 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #2520 on: March 21, 2022, 07:11:19 AM »
local retailer threw this in "free" with a black PS5 controller that was already on sale  :rejoice

done with elden ring, couldn't really stomach going back to horizon straight away (think im 3rd person action game'd out) so it's this and some jrpg i think (ni no kuni 2? that the good shit?)
◕‿◕

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #2521 on: March 21, 2022, 11:16:19 AM »
local retailer threw this in "free" with a black PS5 controller that was already on sale  :rejoice

done with elden ring, couldn't really stomach going back to horizon straight away (think im 3rd person action game'd out) so it's this and some jrpg i think (ni no kuni 2? that the good shit?)

I heard Ni No Kuni 2 was rather disappointing but I haven't played it yet. It's a shame since it looked like it at least fixed the awful combat from the first game (a sore spot on what could've otherwise been one of the top RPGs from the disappointing 360/PS3 gen).

Have you played Yak 7 yet? I think that's overall my favorite RPG from the PS4/5 gen.
^_^

Tasty

« Reply #2522 on: March 21, 2022, 11:54:33 AM »
Quote from: Bebpo link=topic=47444.msg3031488#msg3031488
Between the game and the wheel/pedals and wheelstand I spent like $1,300 on it  :(

:mindblown

Bebpo

« Reply #2523 on: March 22, 2022, 03:22:11 AM »
Quote from: Bebpo link=topic=47444.msg3031488#msg3031488
Between the game and the wheel/pedals and wheelstand I spent like $1,300 on it  :(

:mindblown

Eh, it's fun driving with a wheel.

Already put more time into GT7 than any racer since FH4 and will probably pass that pretty quick in game time.

That said GT7 has some weird wheel implementation where it's actually harder to drive with a wheel than a controller because the way the physics handles g-forces you can get spun out pretty easily without assists with a wheel but it's like a light breeze on a controller you don't even notice. Had to use a controller for one of the license tests because it was literally impossible to go down a hill without the car spinning out on a wheel no matter how fast you were going. 5 mph down a hill and the car just spins in circles on a wheel, but try it on a controller and car just drives straight down the hill no problem. For mostly flat races the wheel is fine or cars with good grip or you just turn on some assists with a wheel and they mostly keep you from spinning out.

naff

« Reply #2524 on: March 23, 2022, 12:14:41 AM »

I heard Ni No Kuni 2 was rather disappointing but I haven't played it yet. It's a shame since it looked like it at least fixed the awful combat from the first game (a sore spot on what could've otherwise been one of the top RPGs from the disappointing 360/PS3 gen).

Have you played Yak 7 yet? I think that's overall my favorite RPG from the PS4/5 gen.

nah i haven't played yak. only yakuza game i've played is 2
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #2525 on: March 23, 2022, 01:53:02 AM »
Finished all the license tests in GT7. I feel like GT7 should be called "elevation & wet roads" the game. Never played another racer in my entire life where elevation changes are so pronounced in vehicle handling. And the wet roads are pretty crazy here. The last license test S10 on a daytime after the rain track is EVIL.

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #2526 on: March 23, 2022, 07:43:04 AM »
Returnal update is out, did two runs last night and the tower seems awesome, way more elaborate than I was expecting on both the gameplay and story fronts. I don't know what Sony is doing, they charge ten bucks for 1800P to 4K PS4 upgrades but then give this away for free, literally zero logic :lol

Svejk

« Reply #2527 on: March 23, 2022, 09:55:59 AM »
Returnal update is out, did two runs last night and the tower seems awesome, way more elaborate than I was expecting on both the gameplay and story fronts. I don't know what Sony is doing, they charge ten bucks for 1800P to 4K PS4 upgrades but then give this away for free, literally zero logic :lol
Was planning on taking a few hour break from Elden Ring to try and rip through this with some 2p.

Bebpo

« Reply #2528 on: March 23, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »
VRR officially announced as coming "in the coming months" to PS5

coming months is fucking vague, what the fuck is so hard about enabling VRR...  :'(

Kurt Russell

« Reply #2529 on: March 23, 2022, 05:54:55 PM »
Pre-ordered Ghostwire today. Not a huge fan of pre orders usually, but I'm going to buy it anyhow and I'd like it to be delivered in time for launch day.
woke

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #2530 on: March 23, 2022, 10:30:25 PM »
Pre-ordered Ghostwire today. Not a huge fan of pre orders usually, but I'm going to buy it anyhow and I'd like it to be delivered in time for launch day.

I have it preloaded. I adored both TEW games even though I have my doubts this’ll be as fun. Still want to support Tango and :bow Mikami-sama :bow2 though
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #2531 on: March 23, 2022, 10:51:22 PM »
Had a really bad experience with my expensive Fanatec GT7 wheel setup.

I'd bought the Load Cell Kit initially which was out of stock until later this month and was like $165 and supposed to give a better brake pedal and allow the brake pedal to be used as a clutch so you could have a clutch pedal.

Well I got it today and installed it and their load cell pedal is terrible. Spent like 2 hours messing with it trying to get it to work properly but couldn't get past like 75% brake with 130lbs+ pressure on it. So was pretty disappointed gonna have to return it and eat the shipping costs. Oh and having a clutch pedal doesn't matter because without a $350 shifter, you can't use the clutch pedal in GT7! No way to use a button/paddle to shift in combination with a clutch pedal.

But to make it worse, somehow the load cell pedal fried the two normal pedals and both are dead now. So I spent another 2-3 hours screwing and unscrewing stuff and trying a dozen things and all over google and support and nothing, they're dead. So I have an RMA ticket in.

These are both pretty fucking heavy things too, so now I gotta send them back, one for return and one for RMA, eat the shipping costs on the load cell kit and who knows when I'll get replacement pedals for my normal wheel.

And lost a half day dealing with all this stuff.

And I guess GT7 is now gonna sit on pause for a few weeks or whatever until I get my replacement pedals.

What a fucking hassle considering how expensive all this stuff is. Everything was fine until this stupid load cell pedal  :maf

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2532 on: March 24, 2022, 02:13:29 PM »
Got my copy of Ghostwire today. The Yakuza games must've captured the feel of Tokyo pretty well. So far it felt like an fps set in Kamurocho. Haven't found Kabukicho yet. Hope it's in the game.

Shooting itself felt really basic in the hour I played. Hope it picks up in later sections.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2533 on: March 24, 2022, 08:29:34 PM »
Got my copy of Ghostwire today. The Yakuza games must've captured the feel of Tokyo pretty well. So far it felt like an fps set in Kamurocho. Haven't found Kabukicho yet. Hope it's in the game.

Shooting itself felt really basic in the hour I played. Hope it picks up in later sections.

The limited amount of Yakuza I've played, they've captured both Kabukicho and Dotonbori very well.

From a money-spent and artists'-hours perspective, I keep hoping to see a western take on it some day. I'd like to see a dirtier, more details, less sterile looking Japan.

Polident Hive

« Reply #2534 on: March 25, 2022, 10:59:56 AM »
RGG Studios really gets its use out of those places. The PS4 Kamurocho/Kabukicho is in five games. Yakuza 7 introduced a large Yokohama map that's already gotten additional use in Judgment 2.

Bebpo

« Reply #2535 on: March 25, 2022, 03:37:27 PM »
GT7 gave 1 million credits gift to everyone for the downtime and released an update saying sorry for the fucked up economy and within a month there will be a patch that will start working on fixing it (double payouts for back half races, increase online racing payouts, higher payout endurance races, etc...) plus some new cars and track layouts coming.

You know, I went to my profile page to look at my stats (21 hours game time, 1.4M credits earned so far, [before 1M gift] 365k spent buying cars, 350k spent tuning on existing cars) and I was checking out my friends list and it's interesting seeing how most people aren't really into the community/social/photo stuff in modern GT.

Not a single person on my friends list had given their profile page a cover picture. Almost no one was using a custom livery helment or outfit (one person had a custom helmet), almost no one had shared a single photo! Dark1x was literally the only person on my friends list who had taken any photos in the photo mode or scapes (at least that had publicly shared them).

Idk, I feel like the car enthusiast aspect of GT is one of its better parts, taking photos around the world of cool cars and just like Forza the livery editing/sharing (I don't make anything I just download other people's stuff) for cars/outfits. Kinda surprised most people don't even touch that stuff.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #2536 on: March 25, 2022, 06:09:58 PM »
I have downloaded many hanime liveries for my car's :jgames
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #2537 on: March 25, 2022, 06:16:17 PM »
I have downloaded many hanime liveries for my car's :jgames

I mean, that's like the whole point! 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2538 on: March 25, 2022, 06:49:32 PM »
are they at least aheago otherwise it doesnt count
What

Svejk

« Reply #2539 on: March 30, 2022, 11:45:56 PM »
FYI
Persona 5 will leave the PS Plus Collection on May 11. Add the game to your game library before then to continue to access it while you have an active PlayStation Plus subscription

naff

« Reply #2540 on: March 31, 2022, 05:19:19 AM »
I haven't really played anything but GT7 since I got it. Economy was an annoyance but it did dole out enough cars through menu books and completing races, it's the endgame/legendary cars that felt bad but it seems quite a bit better now. Game is fantastic otherwise. It's tempting to get a wheel for, maybe when I manage to get a bigger apartment. That wheel with base setup looks pretty good Bebpo. I haven't been this into a racing game for a long time, put maybe 30 hours in FH5 before tiring of it. So much content, but the gameplay loop gaas content madness just never hooked me and gameplay wise it's in limbo between something like Burnout Paradise and Forza Motorsport without hitting like either. I find the traditional focus on tracks and incremental improvement a much more satisfying challenge.
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #2541 on: April 08, 2022, 02:58:59 PM »
The GT7 patch is out

Update Notice (1.11)​
A new update for Gran Turismo 7 has been released. The following is a list of the main features introduced.

Improvements and Adjustments

1.World Circuits
The amount of rewards for events in the latter half of the World Circuit has been increased.
New race events have been added to the World Circuit. The new events are as follows:
 ・World Touring Car 600 Tokyo Expressway East Clockwise
 ・World Touring Car 700 24 Heures du Mans Racing Circuit
 ・World Touring Car 800 Sardegna Road Track A
- Adjusted the rewards for Arcade races and Custom Races

2.Circuit Experience
- Rewards are now provided when clearing all layouts of circuits in Gold or Bronze results. If you have already achieved these results, going into the sector selection screen and exiting with the Exit button will award the prize.

3.Lobby / Sports Mode
The amount of rewards in Lobbies and Daily Races has been increased.
Corrected an issue where spectating while entered in a race in the Lobby did not allow you to switch to the spectator camera.
Changed the Nations Cup and Manufacturer Cup so that the Helmet thumbnail specific to the championship is displayed.
When the room mode is set to ‘Practice/Endurance Race’, adjusted the finish timing when the course setting is set to ‘Time limit’.
Changed the camera movements before races start in Daily Races when the starting method is set to Formation.

4.Mission
Added ‘The Human Comedy’ to Missions, containing 1-hour endurance races. ‘The Human Comedy’ will become playable when the player’s Collector’s Level is 23. Each endurance race event will award up to 1.2 million Cr. per event.
Race information such as the Starting Grid, number of laps or time limit, starting method, etc. are now displayed in the Race event Quick Menu of Missions.
Best records for time limit events and Friend Ranking Records are now saved and displayed in the format of [Ranking/Number of Laps]
Rankings have been reset for the following Time Limit events*
 ・Gone With the Wind - High Speed Ring 30 min.
 ・The Sun Also Rises - Le Mans 24 min.
 ・The Sun Also Rises - Bathurst Gr. 3 Battle

*Already existing best records will only display the ‘Ranking’. Once the same or better result record has been set, it will be saved in the format of ‘Ranking/Number of laps’. For Friend Rankings, if a Bronze or better result is set, it will be saved even if the result is lower than the best record.

5.Game Progression
Raised the maximum cap for earned in-game credits to 100 million Cr.
New ‘Invitations’ received hereafter will have a time limit of 30 days, instead of 14 days.

6.Used Cars / Legendary Cars
The number of cars listed in the lineup at the same time is now increased.

7.Cars
Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) '90: Corrected the position and shape of the roll cage installed in ‘GT Auto’.
Toyota Sprinter Trueno 1600GT APEX (S.Shigeno Version): Corrected a part of the rear wheel design.

8.Livery Editor
Corrected livery display issues for the following cars. If the car you are currently using is subject to this, it will be fixed when you go to [GT Auto] -> [Car Customization] -> [Save Style]
 ・Subaru WRX Gr.B Road Car
 ・Ferrari F430 '06
 ・Ferrari F8 Tributo '19

9. Car Physics Simulation
Improved physics when landing from a jump, mainly on dirt tracks.
Corrected an issue where the value of the vehicle speed displayed on the speedometer of other players in online races sometimes differed from the actual vehicle speed.
Corrected an issue where after-fire would not stop during certain operations after tuning the muffler of a Toyota Prius G '09 and Toyota Aqua S '11.

10.Car Settings
Changed the anti-lag system setting from ON/OFF to 3 settings, OFF/Weak/Strong.
Corrected an issue where if you open the car settings after selecting a part in the Tuning Shop but cancelling without purchasing it, it would blank out the created setting sheet name and the settings would be reset.

11.Race
Corrected an issue where time penalties were not being issued properly when short distance short cuts were made or successive short cuts were made.
Corrected an issue where a penalty would always be issued for cutting the white line at Goodwood.
Adjusted the pit stop starting position for the Daytona International Speedway tri-oval.

12.Custom Races
Changed so that Balance of Performance (BoP) setting can be turned on/off when the player’s cars are Gr.1, Gr.2, Gr.3, Gr.4, and Gr.B categories.

13.Rival Cars (AI)
Corrected an issue where rival cars that changed to rain tires in wet condition races after a pit stop would have slow acceleration coming out of the pits.
In online races, applied measures for some cars starting earlier or later during a rolling start due to network issues.

14.Graphics
Improved the image quality of smoke in Race Photos
Corrected an issue where debris during crashes while in cockpit view would enter inside of the car.
Corrected the graphics drawing of smoke when seen through car windows

15.Replays
Until now, the control menu appeared using any button on the controller, but this has been changed so that it will now only appear when using the confirm and cancel buttons.

16.Sound
Music will now be played back in Surround Sound when the audio output mode is set to ‘7.1 ch Surround’ output.
 ・On PlayStation®4, this playback will apply when the connected device is 5.1 ch or 7.1 ch compatible and the ‘Audio Output Mode’ in ‘Options’ is set to ‘7.1 Surround’.
 ・On PlayStation®5 this playback will apply when the connected device is 5.1 h or 7.1 ch compatible and the ‘HDMI Device Type’ on the console is set to ‘AV Amplifier’, and the ‘Number of Channels’ is set to ‘5.1 ch’ or ‘7.1 ch’.
Added [Music Replay Volume Balance] and [Music Replay Master Volume] options to the Sound Volume and the replay options for the Music Replay Playback.
The Music Replay Options can now be closed with the cancel button.

17.Settings
Changed so that [Display Demonstration Ghost] setting inside [Ghost Settings] is displayed only in Licenses and the Circuit Experience.
Added a [Temporary Exposure Setting] to the Quick Menu settings. The [Temporary Exposure Settings] allows you to temporarily adjust the brightness of the screen in races. Exiting the quick menu will return the game to the original exposure setting.

18.Car Collection
- Added 3 new features for moving the cursor.
 ・The △ button will now move the cursor to your current car.
 ・The L2 button or R2 will move the cursor to the next car already acquired.
 ・The □ button will move the cursor to cars with ‘NEW’ labels.

19.GT Auto
- Unified the brightness of replacement light bulbs under [GT Auto] > [Customize Cars] > [Other Parts] > [Lightbulb]

20.Trophy
Corrected the text for the trophy ‘Wheely Good Fun’ to ‘Bought 10 sets of wheels at GT AUTO’

21.Title Screen
Divided the thumbnail image and title text of news so that they are displayed separately.

22.Steering Controllers
- Allocated features to extra buttons that become available when attaching replacement wheels such as the Fanatec Club Sport Steering Wheel Formula V2 on the Fanatec GT DD Pro*.
 ・Assigned the upper right / left paddles on the Fanatec Podium Advanced Paddle Module to turn signals
 ・Assigned the left/right toggle switch to MFD toggle and change features
 ・Assigned the analog stick to head turning
* Extra button assignment is only available when the compatible steering wheel is attached.
When attaching a replacement steering wheel such as the Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 on the Fanatec CSL Elite and Fanatec Podium, changed the ‘MFD Change’ function assigned to both left and right toggle switches so that the left toggle switch is assigned to the ‘Switch MFD’ feature.
Various other issues have been addressed.

Thank you for your continued support and please continue to enjoy Gran Turismo 7!

Apparently people are really happy with this update and the payouts for doing the circuit experience (learning each section of a track) are really high one time payouts. People seem to think this patch resolves the endgame credit issue to a large amount.

I mailed out my broken pedals on my wheel finally two days ago after two weeks of terrible customer support from Fanatec. No idea when I'll get a replacement, but I should eventually and then will get back to the game.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2542 on: April 08, 2022, 03:22:01 PM »
Yeah the patch is good shit, I'm kinda thinking about dropping the game for a bit though and coming back in a few months when they've hopefully added way more SP content.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #2543 on: April 13, 2022, 12:20:57 AM »
Got my repaired pedals back today. Nice getting back to GT7. I did that Australia course and the swiggly downhill bit is fun.

Bebpo

« Reply #2544 on: April 16, 2022, 02:23:48 AM »
Man, the mission mode in this game does not fuck around. Got to the 4th set, but I think I'm out at "do 30 laps in Tsukaba in the rain and don't touch anything even once or slip off the track even an inch for the 30-45 mins this takes or its insta-fail and start over again"

The late start one at the end of set 3 where you have to sit for an entire minute and watch every car start first before you can even play is way too annoying to keep retrying to get gold. I got my bronze on the first try and I'm good.

Game is still pretty damn good, pretty far in the campaign now and enjoying the hell out of learning every track and having great intense races. Some of the time of day stuff is really nice. And yeah that zig-zag bit in Australia's track is probably my favorite track bit so far though I always like Tokyo Xpressway, especially the bunch of 2nd gear turns around the docks.

Bebpo

« Reply #2545 on: April 25, 2022, 11:17:13 PM »
Today's GT5 patch adds some events and a few cars, but the biggest change is the physics change for RW drive cars on elevation.

All those bits where I kept spinning out with the DD Pro wheel and had to turn counter-steering on high like license B-9, now with zero counter-steering it's almost impossible to spinout. So feels more like playing on a controller. Maybe it's too easy now but I'll take it.

Bebpo

« Reply #2546 on: April 26, 2022, 01:35:34 AM »
Also VRR finally coming to PS5 this week.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2547 on: April 26, 2022, 05:06:02 AM »
Only took them more than a year...

Edit: At least it means the PS5 version of Elden Ring'll be the best console version to play.

Tycoon Padre

« Reply #2548 on: April 26, 2022, 09:25:22 AM »
Played around with the VRR update. Nice that it's finally here but it's kinda half-assed and janky. Some random findings:

- Most games still run at 60 Hz, and system menus run at a fixed framerate, unlike the Xbox which outputs 120/VRR at all times and then duplicates frames. A lot "messier" as your TV will black out as you switch between modes, and you have to constatntly be pulling up the TV's OSD to ensure that VRR has actually engaged
- the system level toggle doesn't work for everything. Horizon won't engage VRR regardless of your system settings
- Astro Bot stilll only outputs a capped 60, even though it was apparently patched specifically for VRR/HDMI 2.1. Kind of pointless as it never really dropped frames, would have been nice to have it at 120 with the 60 fps cap removed
- the 3 Insomniac games are kinda weird. They're some of the only ones that will output 120 Hz (though you need to enable it for all of them individually). The 40Hz mode still seems to run at 40Hz capped, which is actually worse with VRR on, at least on LG OLEDs - unlike in fixed mode, where the frames are just duplicated x3 to 120, with VRR it keeps swapping between 120 and 80. I'm asssuming this is due to a minor dip to 39 or 38, or maybe a slight boost to 41 or 42, but not great either way as unfortunately that means you'll get weird gamma flickering as the TV engages and disengages LFC
- also weirdly, in their performance modes the Insomniac games seem to run in the 80-100 FPS range. Normally that would just mean that the game is rendering 40 or 50 and duplicating, but these ran at 60 before, so I guess this is the actual figure and that these modes had like 30 FPS worth of overhead that they were losing due to vsync? Either way, really smooth now, definitely the best examples of VRR on the system I tried

Bebpo

« Reply #2549 on: April 26, 2022, 02:35:29 PM »
Yeah, I tried Strangers in Paradise and Elden Ring PS5.

Strangers is slightly better at keeping locked 60fps on quality 4k mode but drop areas still drop and QTE kills still drop,
Elden Ring performance seems slightly better at feeling stable 60fps but still has drops, quality mode still feels like shit.

G-Sync this is not. I don't think this is going to do much for games running unlocked on PS5 that are somewhere between 20-60fps. Like apparently if your game is 48-60fps and never drops below 48fps it should feel smooth and the changes shouldn't be noticeable.

The main usefulness of this version of VRR honestly just seems like for games that are hitting over 60fps in unlocked performance modes that you can now get like 80-90fps and there's no judder from stuff going over 60. So like the Insomniac stuff on performance mode supposedly looks great. Same with DMC5.

But this isn't going to be like PC where you can play stuff at like 40fps and feel smooth if they're unlocked and jumping between 30-50fps.

Bebpo

« Reply #2550 on: April 26, 2022, 03:35:38 PM »
Tried out some more stuff.

I can't tell the difference. Hell I tried out Dirt 5 and between Quality, Performance and 120fps mode I can't tell the difference in framerate and the image quality looks like shit across the board with 120fps just being a bit lower res.

Getting that "I'm too old for this shit" feeling

Bebpo

« Reply #2551 on: April 28, 2022, 03:11:49 AM »
GT7 campaign's starting to get tough at the end. Having to keep some assists on so I can push the car harder before it spins out on a turn costing me the race. I feel bad that I drive better and get better times with assists and 3rd person view than I do without assists in cockpit view, but it is what it is. 3rd person view lets me see the side on turns so I can push to the very edge without going over into the grass and counter-steering is basically cheating to keep you steady on weight shifts. I still stick to cockpit with no assists but if I'm stuck I'll switch over, especially since these races are getting longer and longer in the campaign.

Also fuck that whole Pickup Truck menu. I do not want to drive trucks in GT :(

And I still don't get the point of Special Stage Route X in GT. It's so boring driving straight for 2 mins and then slight turn and then straight for 2 mins and then slight turn. I already find oval tracks like Daytona zzz in racing games, but that's even worse.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2552 on: April 28, 2022, 06:16:33 AM »

I can't tell the difference. Hell I tried out Dirt 5 and between Quality, Performance and 120fps mode I can't tell the difference in framerate and the image quality looks like shit across the board with 120fps just being a bit lower res.

Did you actually turn it on for games that don't support it through a patch? There's an option for it in the menus.

Edit: I think my Samsung tv also has some tv options you gotta turn on for HDMI 2.1 to work.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 06:41:38 AM by HardcoreRetro »

Svejk

« Reply #2553 on: April 28, 2022, 10:24:50 AM »
Hope yall stacked your PS+ subscriptions while they were selling for dirt cheap....  :hitler

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2022/04/ps-plus-pre-paid-cards-dont-work-subs-cant-be-purchased-on-ps-store
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 01:37:49 PM by Svejk »

Bebpo

« Reply #2554 on: April 28, 2022, 03:26:33 PM »

Did you actually turn it on for games that don't support it through a patch? There's an option for it in the menus.

Edit: I think my Samsung tv also has some tv options you gotta turn on for HDMI 2.1 to work.

Yeah, it's on. I just don't notice it much though I didn't do on/off direct comparisons.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2555 on: April 28, 2022, 05:32:27 PM »
Apparently the VRR in Elden Ring (or any unsupported game for that matter.) only works at 48+ fps. Anytime it drops under it stops working. So any area with a bunch of enemies/effects looks choppy.

Polident Hive

« Reply #2556 on: April 29, 2022, 12:36:30 AM »

I felt that when briefly reading about the hot new TV tech, QD OLED. All the setup, calibration, adjustments, newer HDMI cables. VRR and 4k 120hz games are nice, but I'm happy with my LG OLED of five years. None of this feels as crucial as upgrading from 1080p to 4K (+OLED). Maybe that's my ignorance speaking.

Bebpo

« Reply #2557 on: April 29, 2022, 02:49:01 AM »
Yeah, what I'm getting from it is that VRR really only excels in two situations:

One is when you're game is really close to 60fps but not quite there and drops to 50/55 at times, VRR will smooth out the 48-60fps range. This is pretty rare and it sounds like it's mostly stuff like RE8 Village and Ghostwire Tokyo. Elden Ring performance mode it helps keep it at 60fps but still drops a lot because you get drops below 48fps.

The other more useful scenario seems to be for games that are hitting 60fps+ easily and are unlocked. Before if your game was jumping around between 60-75-90-120 constantly it wouldn't feel smooth on 120hz sets. Now it blends the 60-120 range no matter what the framerate is and stuff like Spiderman or Ratchet feels really great. You specifically need devs to have an uncapped framerate mode though to take advantage of this.

Unfortunately as the gen goes along I feel like there's going to be fewer and fewer games pushing 60-120fps range but for smaller titles it might be nice. I feel like Returnal would benefit from an uncapped framerate mode.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2558 on: April 29, 2022, 03:30:55 AM »
Unreal 5 stuff is meant to be targeting 30fps. The 4K/120hz dream is still far away.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2559 on: April 29, 2022, 08:40:28 AM »
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #2561 on: April 29, 2022, 07:36:28 PM »
Fuck GT7's end of campaign is intense hard af racing.

Just finished menu 32 with Porsche limited to 650pp and that 5 laps at the Spa IN THE RAIN vs hard ass super competitive AI and then NURBURGRING IN THE RAIN right after...driving in the rain at high speeds with a wheel & pedals in manual gear shifting is like the most intense racing experience I've had in ages.

Took my 3rd place wins by a millisecond and moved on.

For me, GT7 has been a really good game. Not sure how much I'll play after the campaign. Still have a bunch of mission mode stuff but man that stuff is so frustrating, plus online, extra events to clear, and cars to try out.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #2562 on: April 29, 2022, 08:20:37 PM »
Yeah, what I'm getting from it is that VRR really only excels in two situations:

One is when you're game is really close to 60fps but not quite there and drops to 50/55 at times, VRR will smooth out the 48-60fps range. This is pretty rare and it sounds like it's mostly stuff like RE8 Village and Ghostwire Tokyo. Elden Ring performance mode it helps keep it at 60fps but still drops a lot because you get drops below 48fps.
Yeah this is what I'm experiencing so far. Elden Ring still gets pretty framey because it's dropping below the fps threshold.

Bebpo

« Reply #2563 on: April 29, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »
Fuck, I thought the GT7 campaign was 34 menus long. Just hit 34 and nope, it's 39. Yeah I'm not trying to finish it tonight. These races are long and super intense.

Whoever said the campaign was "short", I mean it's not the longest thing ever, but I'll be surprised if I'm not at 50 hours by the time I'm done and that's with only doing the first 3 sets of missions out of like 7 or 8. And only a few online races and no circuit experiences outside the required one in the campaign.

Bebpo

« Reply #2564 on: May 06, 2022, 02:48:37 AM »
On the 2nd to last menu book in GT7.

This is the first racing game where I've ever "got" the fun of the ring. When you learn the track and you're racing intense fast races shifting and sliding and finding spots to pass cars, it's a crazy fun and intense track.

Overall GT7 has a hell of a lot of great fun tracks. I think, especially with a FFB wheel & pedals and paddle shifting, this is the most fun racing game I've played since PGR2. Probably my GoTY so far for 2022. The racing is just so damn good.

Bebpo

« Reply #2565 on: May 08, 2022, 03:54:34 AM »
This final GT7 Championship is intense af.

I don't think you can save during a championship? Finished the first two races, and put it in rest mode. Probably finish the campaign out tomorrow. Amazing game.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2566 on: May 08, 2022, 06:36:23 AM »
It saves after each race

I use that championship to grind cred's when I need to, there are more efficient ways sure, but I'd rather do 5 different races than grind the same track over and over
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #2567 on: May 08, 2022, 08:15:55 PM »
It saves after each race

I use that championship to grind cred's when I need to, there are more efficient ways sure, but I'd rather do 5 different races than grind the same track over and over

The final race (nurburging in the dark) is really, really hard. Been retrying for the last 30 min. Keep fucking up at different points on good runs and once I spin out I just just pause it and hit retry and don't even try to recover.

It's weird, I've done the ring in fast cars a ton of times and this is just a little bit faster at 800PP vs 700PP runs, but for whatever reason it's kicking my ass. I'm using the Porsche living legend car that came with the pre-order stuff game and power restricting it down to 800pp.

Gonna take a break and clear my mind and come back and try to beat this.

Appropriate stage for a final race in the campaign.

Bebpo

« Reply #2568 on: May 08, 2022, 09:02:52 PM »
Took 2nd, I'll live with it. Got 1st on the rest so got the championship.

Had 2 spins on that run but recovered quick enough to not have to reset. First one was downshifting too quick on a downhill :( Meant to go to 2nd but went to 1st and spun the car.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2569 on: May 08, 2022, 10:26:10 PM »
You should've used the group 3 supra with racing soft tyres :shh

The Subaru they added in the last update is also excellent for that championship.

(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #2570 on: May 08, 2022, 10:38:01 PM »
I've never really understood what the GR1-4 things mean.

Like there are all these hyper cars with 900PP but they aren't GR1/2/3/4, are GR cars better? The Porsche I was using wasn't a GR car, was a hypercar with racing hard tires.

I have a few GR4 cars, a few GR3 cars, and I won a GR1 car from the final ending. Don't have any GR2 cars and not sure where you even get those.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #2571 on: May 09, 2022, 12:53:07 AM »
The group 3-4 cars are the track versions
(ice)

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #2572 on: May 09, 2022, 09:51:38 PM »
How's stock over there? In Japan it's still fucked, street price is $800 for one of these goddamn things. Unobtanium.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2573 on: May 09, 2022, 11:00:14 PM »
How's stock over there? In Japan it's still fucked, street price is $800 for one of these goddamn things. Unobtanium.

Seems about the same.  Still not something you can buy for regular price without trying to queue up when stock is offered.
ど助平

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2574 on: May 10, 2022, 07:23:46 AM »
I think there was one for sale in the UK a couple weeks ago.

Polident Hive

« Reply #2575 on: May 16, 2022, 05:54:40 PM »
Am I imagining things or does is the dualsense battery life worse than the dual shock 4?

Haven't actually played many PS5 apps on my PS5. Tend to use the DS4 with PS4 apps, just because. Playing a PS5 game, it's dropping to one bar after every two to four sessions. If I had to estimate, it's 5 to 7 hours? It's pretty bad on DS4 too, but isn't giving low battery until close to 10.

Bebpo

« Reply #2576 on: May 16, 2022, 06:37:13 PM »
Am I imagining things or does is the dualsense battery life worse than the dual shock 4?

Haven't actually played many PS5 apps on my PS5. Tend to use the DS4 with PS4 apps, just because. Playing a PS5 game, it's dropping to one bar after every two to four sessions. If I had to estimate, it's 5 to 7 hours? It's pretty bad on DS4 too, but isn't giving low battery until close to 10.

Yeah, DS4 battery life sucked and DS5 battery life is slightly worse. Can barely last through an all day gaming session. If I'm gonna play all day on a weekend or something I'll charge it when I take breaks. Otherwise I just charge it nightly like a phone.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #2577 on: May 18, 2022, 05:57:11 AM »
So my PS5 started dying.

I was playing PS5 native No Mans Sky and the whole thing just completely shut down with no warning as if it had lost power. No beeps, no warnings, just off. The entire console was unresponsive until I physically removed the power cable and re-inserted. The back of the PS5 near the HDMI socket was almost uncomfortably hot to touch. This happened twice more, both times playing NMS.

Seems like a clear-cut case of overheating, probably as a result of the currently warm temperatures and the fact that I moved the PS5 into a semi-enclosed unit beneath my TV a few months ago. Not much I can really do to mitigate it other than moving it out into the open again and perhaps taking the case off and seeing if the fan has any dust on it (although I only did this a couple of months ago when I added an M2 drive).

My immediate fix was to buy a stand to raise the PS5 to increase airflow around the console and to install an additional exhaust fan on the back of the PS5. So far, the combination of these two things has worked and I haven't had any hard shutdowns since over a prolonged period of time.

I used this aftermarket stand to raise a few cms of clearance--> https://amzn.to/3lhGi2Z (I actually think it looks really good and prefer it to the stock Sony base)

I used this aftermarket cooler--> https://amzn.to/3LjiLJz ...It clips onto the back of the console and is powered by the USB socket. It's actually quite well designed and includes a replacement USB socket so you don't lose connectivity. It has a separate on/off switch, but for me it works automatically when I turn the PS5 on. I see from Amazon reviews that some have been complaining that it doesn't work automatically, but I'm guessing this is down to how the USB power delivery is configured in the settings menu. One thing about the fan - it's noisy. Not quite as noisy as my PS4 Pro was, but still loud enough to notice. I'll probably just use it through the summer as it really has been quite effective at preventing my shutdowns so far and I can feel that it's doing a decent job of pushing out a lot more additional warm air, which is preventing the console itself from getting as hot as it was.
woke

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2578 on: May 18, 2022, 08:05:41 AM »
I moved the PS5 into a semi-enclosed unit beneath my TV a few months ago.

You should also wrap it in a blanket to make sure it's as comfy as possible

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #2579 on: May 18, 2022, 10:56:14 AM »
What