Author Topic: Ampere vs RDNA 2: FIGHT! Thread of new GPUs (let's be honest, nvidia gonna win)  (Read 36066 times)

Bebpo

Re: Nvidia ampere cards are here, hide yo wallets, hide yo wives
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2020, 07:12:56 PM »
Yeah, I am enjoying 1440p though with DLSS I'm ok with 1080p DLSS'd to 1440p

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2020, 08:21:05 PM »
1440p is the sweet spot for PC gaming for me on my 27" monitor.

4k only has its benefits if your screen is large enough. On my LG 55 inch OLED TV it certainly makes a difference but it upscales 720p/1080p content very well too (so clean Switch games like Mario Kart 8 and BOTW look razor sharp without any 'jaggies').
I think the increase in res was mostly pushed hard because most developers adapted to FXAA, object based motion blur and physical based rendering and that made the general presentation of most games a bit blurrier.

Unless you pair your 4k GPU with a really nice screen (i.e. LG 55" OLED or equivalent) there isn't a huge benefit to the resolution boost no matter how much super sampling Nvidia throws at it.

There isn't a "huge benefit" to the resolution bump in any scenario for games, it's a marginal gain at best. Unless you're pixel counting the vast majority (99%+) will never pick out an internal resolution 1080p or higher upscaled vs native. Assets don't have the detail, and the human eye is too flawed. I don't think devs use of PBR, FXAA or Motion Blur really had much to do with it. It's a technology driven by marketing.
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

El Babua

« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2020, 08:40:09 PM »
Playing very close on a 32 inch 1440p screen, I'm fine with the image quality. Especially since I'm running with Gsync.

Started off with a 60hz 4K monitor, but I had to sacrifice settings for the 2080 to run games @ 60FPS. Only game that REALLY benefits from a 4K output from a monitor in my experience was Witcher 3. Trees and foliage in the distance looked so much better and almost photo realistic depending on the time of day/environment.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2020, 08:40:50 PM »
1440p is the sweet spot for PC gaming for me on my 27" monitor.

4k only has its benefits if your screen is large enough. On my LG 55 inch OLED TV it certainly makes a difference but it upscales 720p/1080p content very well too (so clean Switch games like Mario Kart 8 and BOTW look razor sharp without any 'jaggies').
I think the increase in res was mostly pushed hard because most developers adapted to FXAA, object based motion blur and physical based rendering and that made the general presentation of most games a bit blurrier.

Unless you pair your 4k GPU with a really nice screen (i.e. LG 55" OLED or equivalent) there isn't a huge benefit to the resolution boost no matter how much super sampling Nvidia throws at it.

There isn't a "huge benefit" to the resolution bump in any scenario for games, it's a marginal gain at best. Unless you're pixel counting the vast majority (99%+) will never pick out an internal resolution 1080p or higher upscaled vs native. Assets don't have the detail, and the human eye is too flawed. I don't think devs use of PBR, FXAA or Motion Blur really had much to do with it. It's a technology driven by marketing.
1080p can definitely get a bit blurry, depending on where you're sitting, and your TV, but it's hardly the first thing i'd focus my HW budget on, on that i agree.
However some effects on PC at "very high" or "ultra" settings, aren't even all that visible at 1080, like ultra crisp textures or tiny specular highlights, it almost feels like self fulfilling cycle.

Personally i'm much more bothered by shimmering and aliasing better fixed by temporal solutions, than straight up razor sharp IQ, i don't mind a bit of softness, if there aren't dancing pixels everywhere (thankfully DLSS takes care of both!).

naff

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »
True, but I'm not talking native 1080, I'm talking upscaling using checkerboard or dlss techniques. Obviously for sub pixel detail in a high detail game native res is better, but still, upscaling a lower internal resolution ~1440p to 4k will achieve such similar results while freeing up gpu time for additional effects and frames.

I just want better effects brehs.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2020, 09:21:13 PM »
Oh yeah i agree the push for native res seems more and more pointless, with how good upscaling tech is getting.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »
Only game I've played that really kills it in 4k compared to 1080p is SFV- The weird paint/clay artstyle benefits massively by having more pixels, game looks kinda murky at 1080, compared to how crispy clean it is at 4k, or even 1440p.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2020, 12:05:03 AM »
RE2 remake on my pc with my 1080ti looked pretty, pretty good in 4k

:yeshrug
yar

Fifstar

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2020, 04:56:10 AM »
Only tangentially related but I looked up some comparison pics of games running in native 4k vs DLSS. DLSS looked really impressive in most cases, but what also stunned my was how noisy some (modern) games look if you really pay attention. I mean in the past (way back) you almost cut yourself on something like Unreal Tournament running in 1024x768, but it also looked very clear. If you take a closer look at a modern game, it kinda looks like someone went over the pic with a small sponge. Maybe Control is especially bad about this. Makes we wonder if part of the benefit of 4k is partly that it cleans up some of the noise of modern rendering techniques. And DLSS seems even better at that than just native 4K in some cases.
Gulp

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: September 09, 2020, 06:21:26 AM »
Im still planning on getting a 3070
What

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2020, 06:30:39 AM »
Only tangentially related but I looked up some comparison pics of games running in native 4k vs DLSS. DLSS looked really impressive in most cases, but what also stunned my was how noisy some (modern) games look if you really pay attention. I mean in the past (way back) you almost cut yourself on something like Unreal Tournament running in 1024x768, but it also looked very clear. If you take a closer look at a modern game, it kinda looks like someone went over the pic with a small sponge. Maybe Control is especially bad about this. Makes we wonder if part of the benefit of 4k is partly that it cleans up some of the noise of modern rendering techniques. And DLSS seems even better at that than just native 4K in some cases.

Modern games use TAA which causes a little blurriness. DLSS essentially slides into the TAA pipeline so the same aesthetic will still be there. There's a lot of compromises to the other AA methods where they either look glitchy or have huge performance costs so for now, everything is a little mushy.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2020, 08:53:02 AM »
https://twitter.com/sjvn/status/1303014997908389894

1080peasants :biden

I use a 240hz 1080p screen for competitive shooters. Still the way to go there imo. But everything else on the ultrawide 3440 x 1440 or through the oled c9 tv.

naff

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2020, 05:06:37 PM »
im going to overclock my old 4690k even further and chuck a 3080 in there  :o  :-[

if i bottleneck the cpu or blow it up i guess i'll be committed to getting a whole new build...
◕‿◕

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2020, 06:28:43 PM »
Just checked the Dutch prices on the 3080:
799 Euro (US MSRP: $699) for a good brand (MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
$943
[close]

3090 comes in at less of a premium surprisingly 1549 - 1699 Euro depending on the model

🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2020, 06:59:13 PM »
Only game I've played that really kills it in 4k compared to 1080p is SFV- The weird paint/clay artstyle benefits massively by having more pixels, game looks kinda murky at 1080, compared to how crispy clean it is at 4k, or even 1440p.

holy shit this made me look at some comparisons and  :omg

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2020, 12:06:32 PM »
Just checked the Dutch prices on the 3080:
799 Euro (US MSRP: $699) for a good brand (MSI/ASUS/Gigabyte)
$943
[close]

3090 comes in at less of a premium surprisingly 1549 - 1699 Euro depending on the model

Yea 3070 it is
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
©@©™

Coax

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2020, 11:57:07 PM »
Newegg Canada will have around 90+ stock for both RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 and Zotac Trinity on launch day

90+? As in for the entire country? I get this is only 2 cards but seriously come on

:neogaf

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2020, 05:49:22 AM »
Newegg Canada will have around 90+ stock for both RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 and Zotac Trinity on launch day

90+? As in for the entire country? I get this is only 2 cards but seriously come on

:neogaf
If that's Canada, over they're gonna send 1, in a helicopter, directly to the Pope.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2020, 07:50:00 AM »
Damnit I better be able to get my hands on a 3070
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2020, 07:53:28 AM »
Nintex will get the netherlands only 3070 :biden
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2020, 08:04:00 AM »
Nintex will get the netherlands only 3070 :biden

:lol

Ye I dont think so
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2020, 01:18:53 PM »
My sources tell me there will be an exclusive Epic Games voucher pack-in  :biden
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2020, 01:29:56 PM »
Hahaha 🤣 goddamnit Nintex
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #85 on: September 15, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »
Sweendawg hooks you up with the best gaming pc available and will upgrade all your parts for the next decade free of cost, the only catch is you can only buy games from the epic vidya store, would you do it mm :thinking
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2020, 01:38:19 PM »
Dang I gotta say that would be very tempting but my gut still says no 🤣🤷
What

Tuckers Law

« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2020, 01:43:36 PM »
Nope fuck Tim Sweeney.  He’s an untrustworthy cunt if ever there was one.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2020, 06:56:48 PM »
The benchmarks are here and

:gladbron :gladbron :gladbron

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
Initial reviews of the FE cooler are actually really positive, too

:leon
yar

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2020, 10:41:13 PM »
Watched a bunch of reviews/Bench.
3080 seems good, but sucks too much power and i don't have a 4K screen anyway (although 3440x1440 is close enough) so i think i'll aim for a 3070 next year (as soon as i find a good enough price).
Besides, a 3080 on my PC would be like a rocket engine on a FIAT Panda.

kingv

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2020, 11:26:09 PM »
Watched a bunch of reviews/Bench.
3080 seems good, but sucks too much power and i don't have a 4K screen anyway (although 3440x1440 is close enough) so i think i'll aim for a 3070 next year (as soon as i find a good enough price).
Besides, a 3080 on my PC would be like a rocket engine on a FIAT Panda.

I looked at some reviews that looked at cpus bottlenecking it, and at 4K Ultra settings Even a For 4 thousand series I7 didn’t bottleneck it too bad as long as the settings were high enough. Makes me think I might be able to squeak by just adding a 3070 to my 4590k and upgrade the rest in a year or 2.

Coax

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2020, 11:34:53 PM »

It's not technically pre-ordering if you can camp out for reserve tickets

For the first dozen since that's all the stock they have :lol
[close]

Coax

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2020, 12:26:45 PM »
Realized without more context the above could be seen as my own experience when it's just a Reddit story :doge

Praise RNGesus though, managed to nab a card. Should be a nice upgrade from Maxwell.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2020, 04:41:11 AM »
did i order one from a reputable retailer? yes
did the payment get processed? yes
did they take my money? sure did
have i bought something that actually exists and isn't just a embryonic piece of silicon sitting in a vietnamese factory? time will tell.

i wasn't actually planning on buying one at all until i realised that my 1080ti would drop in value much faster than new cards will come down in price.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2020, 05:05:11 AM »
I watched the gamers nexus teardown, I love these guys, but considering you can't buy a card for shit it's also depressing, least they can put it back together and it'll still work.

Highlight of the video is Nvidia in their how to disassemble guide tell you to use glue on a stick to get these magnetic screw coverings off, which if you mess up could literally glue them in lol

Video here:

As for me I should have a 3090 on the way next week, have the ROG-STRIX-RTX3090-24G-GAMING I need to get my CPU upgraded though.

Coax

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2020, 07:10:36 AM »
As for me I should have a 3090 on the way next week, have the ROG-STRIX-RTX3090-24G-GAMING

:whew :playa

gl with the order

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
I'm lame and will buy a new prebuilt PC with one of these.   Prices are all over the place- seeing builds for as low as $2000 and as high as $3000+. :dizzy
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2020, 10:57:04 AM »
:titus
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2020, 11:39:18 AM »
I'm lame and will buy a new prebuilt PC with one of these.   Prices are all over the place- seeing builds for as low as $2000 and as high as $3000+. :dizzy

Yeah because you are getting ripped off

Dont buy prebuilt man you are getting screwed
What

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2020, 12:30:03 PM »
All the folks triggered in here by the truth. :kermit

Enjoy your house-fire from your "PS5 Ready" meme cards, girls. I'll be sitting with the 1080p chads :girlaff 'ing at you for giving Nvidia way more cash than needed for meme "benefits."

I know you're a rich-bitch weeb, but seriously: This was your first mistake. This is as bad as Tiesto buying a "gaming laptop," that shit is overpriced and depreciates quickly.

You'd get the same shit buying the parts yourself for much cheaper.

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2020, 01:45:08 PM »
https://videocardz.com/newz/gigabyte-confirms-geforce-rtx-3060-8gb-rtx-3070-16gb-and-rtx-3080-20gb

Gigabyte confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20G
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2020, 02:07:37 PM »
I was able to get one yesterday. Probably like only 1 of 1000 people who have one right now lol

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2020, 02:27:46 PM »
Enjoy your meme card bro :girlaff
(ice)

El Babua

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2020, 02:34:16 PM »
Graphics thots like myself don't care about what you 1080p medium setting peons think lmao

Want Nvidia to pleasure me with their massive cards and make my face sticky with glorious ray tracing  :drool

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2020, 03:16:24 PM »
Nvidia the GOAT  :rejoice
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »

Yeah because you are getting ripped off

Dont buy prebuilt man you are getting screwed

I got a pretty good deal on the desktop PC I got back in 2016- I remember people here saying it was marked up by maybe $200 over buying everything yourself and it is an absolute monster.  It came from Amazon Prime, so I got it with free shipping in 1-2 days and could have returned it no questions asked if I decided to go another route.  Plus it had a nice warranty (included for free) that I wound up using and was glad it was there.  It's in a small case and there's no way in hell I would have been able to cram everything it has in there that well/cleanly- it's thicker than a game console, but takes up less space than say, a PS4 does- the graphics card inside is like half the case!

I know you're a rich-bitch weeb, but seriously: This was your first mistake. This is as bad as Tiesto buying a "gaming laptop," that shit is overpriced and depreciates quickly.

You'd get the same shit buying the parts yourself for much cheaper.

The last time I messed around with upgrading a PC, I killed it.  :lol  I mean, I've taken them apart and put them back together before, but that incident just kinda scared me away from DIY.  If it wasn't for 'rona, there is someone I could work with to make sure it's done right though.

Going desktop means more power for a lower price and it's going to last longer, but if you'd prefer to have or just need a laptop, there's nothing wrong with that either.  I'm sure what Tiesto bought will last him for quite a while.  The laptop I have with a 1060 is still a beast for anything 1080P.  I only now just got a 1440P monitor and this desktop with its 1070 is handling everything great, so I'm no rush to upgrade.  I stopped looking at what was for sale because it's so tempting.   :lol

Probably the most tempting thing of all right now would be to get a 3080 and pop it into an external GPU case, then use it with my GPD Win Max via thunderbolt 3.  Would be pretty funny to see such a monster card hooked up to such a small laptop, lol.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 04:32:40 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
I always buy pre-built.

Only poors have time to build PCs.

Indeed.  Could you pass the Grey Poupon?
:snob
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2020, 04:33:47 PM »
As a Mac owner, I’m also team prebuilt :success
(ice)

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #109 on: September 18, 2020, 04:47:51 PM »
As a Mac owner, I’m also team prebuilt :success

Sir, leave this thread
yar

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2020, 05:48:18 PM »
:rash
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2020, 06:01:31 PM »

What was that about PS5 bundles  :doggy

Sorry you're getting ripped off :(

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #113 on: September 18, 2020, 10:45:45 PM »
I can't post ona  forum moderated by a guy that buys pc pre builds  :existential this is too much man

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2020, 12:51:24 PM »

What was that about PS5 bundles  :doggy

Sorry you're getting ripped off :(

The difference between you dropping a bunch of cash on a Gamestop vidya bundle, versus me dropping a bunch of cash on a PC, is that I didn't actually buy anything and will wait for prices to go down to something lower in the next year or two.
:umad
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 12:56:13 PM by bork »
ど助平

Beezy

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2020, 01:48:03 PM »
Willing to get overcharged hundreds for a new console, but won't buy Ninja Warriors until there's price drop. :confused

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2020, 01:02:37 PM »
Why is there no info on 3070 preorders ffs
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2020, 05:16:11 PM »
They’re meme cards :trumps
(ice)