Author Topic: Saints Row reboot :|  (Read 39945 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Saints Row reboot :|
« Reply #660 on: December 31, 2023, 12:46:27 AM »
still too much
©@©™

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #661 on: January 01, 2024, 12:23:03 AM »
Ghostrunner for me, must have missed it, oh well
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #662 on: January 11, 2024, 03:24:35 AM »
I’m like 12 hours in, and really enjoying it.

The activities feel like classic SR 1&2 action: violence, crassness, a bit of jank. Bumping into another faction during a job can liven things up in a hurry. I had some trouble understanding how to “progress ventures” in the Empire mode. As every venture requires place,ent, then being transported to the site for an initial conversation, it is wildly counterintuitive to then leave the player without having them actually perform the activity. Turns out they’re al, over the map, but I spent (cough) WAY too long looking at the business site for how to initiate the associated activity.

There is a heap of options for player-characters. The phone’s Sharing menu in game allows access to a bunch of cool Boss designs from the community.

I wish the driving felt better; it’s pretty flat compared to other OWG. Even Fortnite cars feel better than these. Still better than Watch_Dogs Legion driving though!

They probably should have delayed launch until they had more bugs ironed out. I don’t know how bad it was, but my suspicion is that the edgelords who chant “go woke, go broke” and stomped on the McDonald’s countertops when their Rick and Morty McNugget Sauce ran out had more to do with the failure than anything valid.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #663 on: January 13, 2024, 10:47:51 AM »
"edgelords who chant “go woke, go broke” and stomped on the McDonald’s countertops when their Rick and Morty McNugget Sauce ran out had more to do with the failure than anything valid. "

The writing is probably just shit like most of their work post Saints Row 3
devoid of any passion and knowledge of your fanbase
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #664 on: January 15, 2024, 01:21:37 AM »
"edgelords who chant “go woke, go broke” and stomped on the McDonald’s countertops when their Rick and Morty McNugget Sauce ran out had more to do with the failure than anything valid. "

The writing is probably just shit like most of their work post Saints Row 3
devoid of any passion and knowledge of your fanbase

The writing feels a lot like SR3. The Boss is a scoundrel who will do anything for his crew. I've heard there were re-writes to focus on "friendship," but in any earlier entry, Boss would do any-fucking-thing for Gat, Shaundi, or Pierce. There is actually less emphasis on Kevin, Neenah, and… I wanna say "Urkel"?

The main difference from SR1 and SR2 is the focus on Activities rather than set-piece missions with one-off scripting for enemies. That trend started with SR3, and definitely was the focus from SR4 onwards.

Anyway, as someone who loves the series, and did not enjoy the first couple hours, I can genuinely say that I've warmed to it.

Himu

« Reply #665 on: January 16, 2024, 11:09:49 AM »
...Interesting. Very interesting. I might it try it some time. Thank you for your thoughts, sir.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #666 on: January 16, 2024, 11:32:10 AM »
My take on it, was the walking and idle animations were very canned and unisex.  :yuck In SR3, you could do a slow, sexy supermodel walk with jiggle physics.  Doesn't exist in this game.  That was a deal breaker for me.  :dislike

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #667 on: January 26, 2024, 07:07:12 AM »
I liked all the weird animations for walking in previous SR games, but I spend most of my time running (no stamina limitation, fuck you GTA and Fortnite) or wingsuit-gliding, so I hadn't noticed that it's not present.

I'm probably not playing the game the way devs intended. I'm already at the final, fourth tier of the Empire building, but still haven't done many story missions. I'll be shocked if the story missions scale much. There are only 20 character levels to achieve, but unlocking perk slots requires cash, upgrading weapons requires cash, so I suspect once my Empire is complete I will be a Walking Embodiment of Death.

From GTA III through the end of the PS2 set of them, I always play as many side missions as I can. Gettin unlocks to be more powered up during the story always felt like a big advantage. SR 2022 keeps that feeling, I like it.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #669 on: February 03, 2024, 04:42:57 AM »
https://insider-gaming.com/saints-row-veterans-form-new-studio-shapeshifter-games/

:thinking
Looks like this team is mostly people who worked on the recent game. Only one of the team worked on anything before Agents of Mayhem, most only on the latest Saints Row.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #670 on: February 03, 2024, 09:32:11 AM »
https://insider-gaming.com/saints-row-veterans-form-new-studio-shapeshifter-games/

:thinking
Looks like this team is mostly people who worked on the recent game. Only one of the team worked on anything before Agents of Mayhem, most only on the latest Saints Row.

:noooo
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #671 on: February 04, 2024, 01:30:25 AM »
I noticed lots of games media using the same "Saints Row veterans" language, which is not wrong but is somewhat misleading, not a single games journalist apparently took five minutes to look at them on Linkedin which is linked in their announcement before publishing. :lol

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #672 on: February 05, 2024, 02:56:41 AM »
Why would games journalists do journalism?
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #673 on: February 11, 2024, 04:44:30 AM »
Kicked off a mission that had a warning attached to it, turned out to be the final mission. It's long-ish but not nearly as difficult as Saints Row 1 or 2, or any of the GTA III, VC, SA, or IV missions were. Those were maddening, and I'm grateful for games that put something I can finish as the final story mission. Shit, just save the hard stuff for the side missions, let regular joes finish the fucking game.

Watching the SR2022 staff roll, it starts with a dedication to two devs who died during the making of the game, both younger than I am. Then it moves to a long set of credits with lots of pictures of the devs teams at all kinds of events and settings, it looks like they tried to get a picture of everyone in there.  Thinking about players pissing on the game when these are the people who put everything into the game, only to have it come out, get trashed, and then Embracer shutters the studio -- well, it hurts. They deserved better.

Though I finished the game, I am going to keep playing through the activities, maybe try for platinum, though I usually don't care about trophies. A lot of heart went into this game.

Pros
  • It's a SAINTS ROW GAME. It's a return to more grounded SR 1-3 era gameplay, with an emphasis on Activities.
  • Boss customization is wild, though not as nuts as SR2's, which caused heaps of problems with cinematics. I played the final mission as Mystique from the first X-Men movie.
  • Heaps of stuff to do in the open-world.
  • Heaps of unlocks - almost every side-gig or Activity unlocks a weapon, clothes, or material for customization

Cons
  • Base/HQ customization is limited compared to previous games. There's one HQ, and items around the map can be found, snapped with the camera, and then set up in alcoves or pedestals at the base. It's an OK concept, with limited visual effect. They could have assigned materials to the building, like they have with the clothes and vehicles.
  • Visual language in-game is inconsistent. Placing a business on the map brings the player to the business' location, but doesn't clearly state that THAT LOCATION is not where the player carries out that business' operations. There are new pips on the map showing where the Activity is, but there are SO MANY icons on-map at that point, it's not clear. Once arriving at the location, finding the EXACT spot to launch the Activity is not clear. Sometimes there's a consistent prop, but it's not highlighted and can be mistaken for the regular landscape. More often than that, there's NOTHING. I just use the mini-map to move close to the icon's center, and then meander until a prompt appears on the main screen. Like I said, lack-of-polish. It wouldn't surprise me if some Art Director fought with the Designers about having an "immersion breaking" highlight on the screen.
  • Gunplay feels stiff, and the default haptic triggers are ridiculous. Sometimes there's lock-on, most times not.
  • Perks, skills, power-ups are almost an afterthought. It's like they started making a load-out focus, then abandoned it, but not entirely.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #674 on: March 05, 2024, 01:29:55 PM »
You got me debating wether I should give my Humble Saints Row Steam key away here or redeem it myself  ???
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #675 on: March 06, 2024, 02:49:43 AM »
I certainly enjoyed it enough. I didn’t end up sticking with it to finish out all the side activities, because when I finish the main mission in an open world game I rapidly lose interest. That’s just me as a gamer. While I was playing it I really enjoyed it.

benjipwns

« Reply #676 on: March 08, 2024, 02:21:11 AM »
I have a key if someone would like it.