Author Topic: Saints Row reboot :|  (Read 39920 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Saints Row 2022 :|
« Reply #480 on: August 24, 2022, 03:50:28 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2014/9/1/6094019/saints-row-sarkeesian-tropes-vs-women-volition

In the case of Volition creative director Steve Jaros, the answer is simple: owning up to what he calls "a problem in the game industry."

Speaking to The Escapist, Jaros said, "I actually think [Tropes vs. Women creator Anita Sarkeesian's] right in this case." He went on to say that he believes the Saints Row series developer has improved in its treatment of women over years but said they still have room to grow.

:yuck
Did they ever explain why they chose to listen to a woman with no credentials who didn't even understand her own arguments? And whose interests completely changed after she split from her male scriptwriter?

I would assume not since people are still giving her consulting gigs despite no proof that her advice is ever relevant. (See: Psychonauts 2)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #481 on: August 24, 2022, 04:57:12 PM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2014/9/1/6094019/saints-row-sarkeesian-tropes-vs-women-volition

In the case of Volition creative director Steve Jaros, the answer is simple: owning up to what he calls "a problem in the game industry."

Speaking to The Escapist, Jaros said, "I actually think [Tropes vs. Women creator Anita Sarkeesian's] right in this case." He went on to say that he believes the Saints Row series developer has improved in its treatment of women over years but said they still have room to grow.

:yuck
Did they ever explain why they chose to listen to a woman with no credentials who didn't even understand her own arguments? And whose interests completely changed after she split from her male scriptwriter?

I would assume not since people are still giving her consulting gigs despite no proof that her advice is ever relevant. (See: Psychonauts 2)

I forgot all about her.  I see she's now moved onto greener pastures and is going after...Star Trek...?

But from 2019:
Quote from: Anita Sarkeesian
When I work with game studios I don’t expect them to take all my feedback and sometimes it’s not even possible to integrate some of my suggestions. Often I send a report and I never hear back.

:kermit
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 05:01:52 PM by bork »
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #482 on: August 24, 2022, 05:11:48 PM »
did that weird hate film about her ever come it, it looked hilarious.
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #483 on: August 24, 2022, 06:06:59 PM »
But from 2019:
Quote from: Anita Sarkeesian
sometimes it’s not even possible to integrate some of my suggestions.
Then why make them? :mindblown

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #484 on: August 24, 2022, 11:17:06 PM »
Looks good? What?

I thought we were done with 5mins long CGI trailers :snore

Because it's Saints Row and I love Saints Row and it has been almost TEN FUCKING GODDAMN YEARS SINCE GTAV and I'm so thirsty for a traditional sandbox game with GANGS and mayhem that this was like a cool glass of water in a fucking dessert covered in SHIT.
I wonder how MAGA himu is taking Woke Row?
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #485 on: August 25, 2022, 08:17:22 AM »
Saints Row-FLT

If you want to check the game out for free, Timmy already paid for it soooo  :doge

Im not gonna DL it though, not worth the disk space lol

Not even the pirates on Reddit want it!

:lol
What

Kurt Russell

« Reply #486 on: August 26, 2022, 03:17:16 PM »

gg snorenado
woke

Svejk

« Reply #487 on: August 26, 2022, 03:56:04 PM »
Saints Row is done.  It was great while it lasted.  There's no returning from this...

To the memories...

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #488 on: August 26, 2022, 05:25:49 PM »
It's over, period. Volition lost their last ace, and that's the end of their Saint's Row hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Saint's Row. Volition has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in Saint's Row. Except if they want to play patched Saint's Row 2. Which may not even come out at this point.

The age of Saint's Row is done.
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #489 on: August 26, 2022, 06:00:24 PM »
Saints Row is done.  It was great while it lasted.  There's no returning from this...

To the memories...

(Image removed from quote.)

I still want to play it but keep forcing myself not to buy it.
:stahp
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #490 on: August 26, 2022, 06:04:52 PM »
Can they make a new Red Faction Guerilla before Embracer shuts them down?

Embracer is all about reviving old IPs anyhow.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #491 on: August 26, 2022, 06:35:26 PM »
Embracer is not going to shut down anything guys.

Internally they see this as a big success, they shipped their second AAA game and in a well known franchise this time.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #492 on: August 26, 2022, 07:58:44 PM »
Embracer is not going to shut down anything guys.

Internally they see this as a big success, they shipped their second AAA game and in a well known franchise this time.

How is it a big success when it caused their stock to drop?  Never mind all the negative press.
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #493 on: August 26, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
Eh their stock looks to be all over the place looking at the 6 month graph, sure the negative pub about the game will have caused it to drop, but it's not like they're putting out loads of highly reviewed games anyway, I wouldn't be shocked if they did well on pre orders and name value buys from normies n shit :snob
(ice)

Kurt Russell

« Reply #494 on: August 27, 2022, 08:57:16 PM »

Fair.
woke

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #495 on: August 28, 2022, 08:09:58 AM »
Instead of getting this game, I bought True Crime New York City on the xbox at a second hand market. Looking at the old metacritic scores they're about the same quality. :D

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #496 on: August 28, 2022, 12:07:24 PM »
ど助平

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #497 on: August 28, 2022, 05:55:12 PM »
Who knew Gamestop employees were capable of AI generated style illustrations?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #498 on: August 28, 2022, 09:07:37 PM »
:whoo

Uncle

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #499 on: August 30, 2022, 02:18:11 AM »
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #500 on: August 30, 2022, 08:13:36 AM »
Crashing into a truck does nothing to your vehicle or player character, but makes the truck explode instead?  :lol :rofl
:titus :cornette :mindblown

...Is it possible that this game has some kind of secret ending where you're actually still hooked up to the simulation from SR4?  :doge
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #501 on: August 30, 2022, 10:44:33 AM »
Crashing into a truck does nothing to your vehicle or player character, but makes the truck explode instead?  :lol :rofl

...Is it possible that this game has some kind of secret ending where you're actually still hooked up to the simulation from SR4?  :doge

in the penguinz0 video it becomes obvious that monster trucks are coded so that any vehicles that so much as graze its hitbox are immediately converted into a smashed model, regardless of speed or force or anything

accidentally flattening yourself under a parked monster truck but it's ok

NPCs commit suicide on his parked monster truck
Uncle

paprikastaude

« Reply #502 on: August 30, 2022, 11:04:22 AM »

That's one of the more fun parts though

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #503 on: August 30, 2022, 12:04:02 PM »
These bugs are so much fun!
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #504 on: August 30, 2022, 01:25:58 PM »
The vehical physics are intented, the first thing you learn is a takedown thrust.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #505 on: August 30, 2022, 02:06:47 PM »
The vehical physics are intented, the first thing you learn is a takedown thrust.

:ohhh
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #506 on: August 30, 2022, 02:16:59 PM »

This is my fault, years ago on Twitter I told Idolninja that the worst part about The Third was it didn't have the insane gas station physics* from Saints Row 2 and he completely agreed. Now here we are.

*If you drive into a pump so that it explodes (which can happen even at low bump speeds) it will send your car flying for miles.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #507 on: August 30, 2022, 05:02:47 PM »

That's honestly even worse. It looks like fucking dogshit.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #508 on: September 01, 2022, 08:33:47 AM »
So the game freezes when I go to change clothes :wow
(ice)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #509 on: September 01, 2022, 03:21:25 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #510 on: September 01, 2022, 03:53:20 PM »

The bugs are part of the fun! Its working as intended!
What

Himu

Re: SAINTS FUCKING ROW
« Reply #511 on: September 02, 2022, 10:29:55 PM »
Go woke, go broke?  :elon

Its not even that though. Saints Row was done with IV. Volition's games from that point on were all very mediocre or serviceable at best.

The hype for this was rooted in nostalgia for a series that got 4 good and often great games. Anyone with eyes could see this was gonna be a rough game.

And genuinely from my heart, himu and human Snorenado can suck on my chubby rocket for being such obnoxious, toxic as fuck posters regarding other people's tastes in videogames.

Yeah, sorry about that. You're right. I can be toxic. I'm working on it. u_u

Looks good? What?

I thought we were done with 5mins long CGI trailers :snore

Because it's Saints Row and I love Saints Row and it has been almost TEN FUCKING GODDAMN YEARS SINCE GTAV and I'm so thirsty for a traditional sandbox game with GANGS and mayhem that this was like a cool glass of water in a fucking dessert covered in SHIT.
I wonder how MAGA himu is taking Woke Row?

The dregs of this shitty forum, 14 years on, have finely broken me. Later y'all, you all suck and have shitty taste.

:heh :heh :heh :heh :heh

I watched the preview linked on last page and I'm falling into my knees in ectasy. Finally grounded yet insane Row is back. This is very SR2 esque, where the characters have their own things and passions. A big problem with characterization started in 3 where it became far more Boss oriented and characters like Shaundi were kind of changed in a weird way or the enemy gangs are barely characterized. Again, flanderization.

This looks back to basics in a lot of ways with the gameplay of 3 and the story/tone of 2. Strap me in.

:sabu :sabu :sabu :sabu  :sabu

Yup. Really bad overall and I will admit I was really wrong about this. It's a shame, as I really wanted to want it to work out but I blind to my own feelings. u_u Very heartbreaking situation and even worse, Volition will have to put manpower fixing this monstronsity and Idol Ninja's literal - and I mean literal - dying wish to fix Saints Row 2 on PC might not materialize because of it. Just sad overall, not only for Saints Row's fall from grace from the state of Volition in general. I can admit I was really, really wrong here.  :fbm
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Saints Row reboot SUCKS - A thread in which Himu eats shit
« Reply #512 on: September 03, 2022, 03:08:56 PM »

The hits keep coming
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Saints Row reboot :|
« Reply #513 on: September 03, 2022, 04:02:02 PM »
Himu, you're being too hard on yourself in here.  This should be a time of healing.  Let us come together and recover from this disaster.

Saints Row

TBH, I still want to play this.  Just need more bug fixing.

ど助平

Himu

« Reply #514 on: September 03, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »
Himu, you're being too hard on yourself in here.  This should be a time of healing.  Let us come together and recover from this disaster.

Saints Row
(Image removed from quote.)

TBH, I still want to play this.  Just need more bug fixing.

I really loved this franchise and it really sucks to see what came of it. I legitimately thought SR1 was more fun tan GTAIV, and then SR2 came out and just knocked it out the park. SR3 is iconic even if I think it's worse than 2 it's still a classic in my eyes. We need a hero. An open-world hero. I still haven't played RDR2. I'll get it sometime soon when I get a Series X.

This thread should be an appreciation for the Row and what we loved about it.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #515 on: September 03, 2022, 04:18:29 PM »
Just a few weeks after the release of GTAIV and everyone was talking about how disappointing it was in the summer of 08, Volition put out this classic trailer trashing GTAIV and telling everyone to buy SR2.

Classic.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #516 on: September 03, 2022, 04:48:20 PM »
With the current state of the world, a proper Row just felt so desperately needed... It's such a shame.

Himu

« Reply #517 on: September 03, 2022, 08:18:13 PM »
With the current state of the world, a proper Row just felt so desperately needed... It's such a shame.

Mmhm. It's heartbreaking. :tocry
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #518 on: September 04, 2022, 12:21:40 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #519 on: September 04, 2022, 03:58:15 PM »
It's a shame that someone finally spoke truth to power in a video game? :social

Rahxephon91

« Reply #520 on: September 04, 2022, 06:49:05 PM »
I get that the writing is pretty cringe, but then again so was the 1st game.

I've been playing it and I don't think it's that terrible.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #521 on: September 04, 2022, 08:00:42 PM »
The best thing about the entire reboot is this:

woke

Polident Hive

« Reply #522 on: September 05, 2022, 12:03:56 AM »
Embarrassed to admit I thought there could be a slight chance the characters and tone were a parody of reboots. Saints Row 4 jokes about itself, Mass Effect, They Live, among others. Hearing that it’s all played straight and generic as a CW show? Kinda amazing. Is anybody from old Volition still around?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #523 on: September 07, 2022, 08:16:01 AM »

:dead
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #524 on: September 07, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »
shit sux, but it's not that bad :trumps
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #525 on: September 07, 2022, 10:26:14 AM »

I still plan to get it once they fix more shit.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #526 on: September 07, 2022, 10:49:09 AM »

But will they?  Seems like they've been quiet.. They just plopped it and walked away counting their cash from their EGS deal. 

Edit: Guess they did just release a hotfix for PC and PS two days ago... They got a long road ahead of them though... 

#KeEpItStRaNgE  :jared

Kurt Russell

« Reply #527 on: September 07, 2022, 11:53:35 AM »
woke

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #528 on: September 07, 2022, 11:13:53 PM »

Same plan here.

SR2 launched buggy as shit, they eventually fixed it. Sceneman and I even started a from-scratch run to get the "All Activities completed in Co-Op" Achievement. I started from a fresh save, Sceneman did not. It took hours to complete it, and it was a hoot, but we did it. At the end, my Achievement unlocked and his didn't because Volition hadn't fixed that bug.

benjipwns

« Reply #529 on: September 07, 2022, 11:22:29 PM »
Will get when they release the Definitive Ultimate Edition on Steam that puts Rim Jobs back in and adds an epilogue that satirizes the entire pathetic "REBOOT LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE" Twitter posturing.  :patel

Svejk

« Reply #530 on: September 07, 2022, 11:40:07 PM »
Will get when they patch in some jiggle physics.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #531 on: September 08, 2022, 02:35:04 AM »
Well I did buy and play through it.

And it was fine, even good.

Yes, its got some bugs and glitches that will make you restart missions, but on a whole it was fun. I wanted a GTA3 era open world game and I got it.

Honestly, its a fun game. While I had some problems with how gameplay felt initially. Once I got into a grove and kept a slight auto aim on, combat became pretty fun. I think Mafia 3 is probably the best feeling funplay in an open-world game. SR does not match that, maybe not even close as aiming still feels a bit off. But its fast and frantic. The cooldown abilities are actually very useful. People commented on the lack of cover, well it shouldn't have it. Its not that kind of game, you are supposed to be out there run and gunning. It is old scool in a way how arcadey the combat is.

This really is the Saints Row 2 follow-up people asked for. Like it doesn't go insane and move away from being sholcky crime thing. It keeps that tone, it just feels a bit more "youthful".

The whole its woke shit discussion surrounding this game was lame. Look, Saints Row has always been cringe. The 1st game had incredibly lame writing. 2 was better but still goofy. 3 owned it and made it it's own.

SR 2022 is kind of lame in that it for sure feels like 40 something year olds trying to write something they think younger demos will relate to.

Like dialogue in this game goes like this:

"Boss you almost died back there"

"Yeah if the gangs dont get me my student loans will".

They can't help but throw some topical joke at you, but then again the previous games tried to throw crass and other jokes at you constantly as well. And just like in those previous games, sometimes something does hit.

Outside of that I don't see whats so bad about this game.

The city was nice. Looked great and was memorable enough. Its mix of Houston TX, Arizona, and Vegas makes for some cool sights. The city wasn't too big, nor too small.

Like SR it's full of mini games, which I could see some take issue. They are less personable and really uninventive. There's no real unique presentation given to them(like in 3 where one was like a death game reality show) and in the end, most of them are go here and kill things. Yet the combat is fun and some give you a cool weapon or vehicle to use, so it does spice up the gameplay here and there.

Perfectly solid game. There are some QOL changes that should be made though.

All businesses should be able to fast travel to.

Should be able to summon your car after you start a mission.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #532 on: September 08, 2022, 05:33:46 PM »
Its not woke its just crap
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #533 on: September 18, 2022, 04:48:55 AM »
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #534 on: September 18, 2022, 11:15:49 AM »
Instead of watching a 50-minute review ( :mindblown), I watched a few minutes of a live stream of the Rerez guy playing it and shitting all over everything.  It looked even worse than I had seen in some other videos- at one point during a mission, he drives a vehicle to a spot on the map and enemies come driving in, get out, and...just basically stand there and let him shoot them all.  There was one enemy caught in a weird animation loop, attempting to draw their gun, and failing, over and over.   :lol

They've released a second hotfix and I'm still seeing that the game is broken.  I still can't believe this is how Saints Row is going out.
:tocry
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #535 on: September 18, 2022, 11:33:44 AM »
Joe does put some efforts into his skits, and he's been a fan of the series since the first game. He even bought a purple dildo to review SR3. Its a pretty good review too but I didnt have anything to do on a sunday morning
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #536 on: September 18, 2022, 11:35:48 AM »
What I'm saying is, I don't need somebody telling me how bad this game is for 50 minutes when five will suffice. :doge
ど助平

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #537 on: September 18, 2022, 11:49:48 AM »
He even bought a purple dildo to review SR3.

Uncle

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #538 on: September 18, 2022, 12:24:41 PM »
I beat a chase mission by getting out of my car on this :girlaff
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #539 on: September 18, 2022, 01:26:46 PM »
What