Author Topic: Saints Row reboot :|  (Read 39839 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Saints Row reboot :|
« Reply #600 on: May 08, 2023, 12:36:26 PM »
I think they just didnt know where to go after 4. Seems like a logical choice as to why it took so long and in the end they thought a reboot would work well. Take the series back to its roots somehow. No clue how they messed it up but I thought the last Volition game Agency of Mayhem was already really vapid and mediocre, so I never had high hopes for this reboot.
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #601 on: May 08, 2023, 09:28:25 PM »
I have a lot of love for the old Saints Row franchise, but I don't quite understand you guys thinking this new one is even worth the time to play it. Let alone a monetary value.

Despite everything, it still looks fun to go mess around with.  Just not for full price.
:idont

I think they just didnt know where to go after 4. Seems like a logical choice as to why it took so long and in the end they thought a reboot would work well. Take the series back to its roots somehow. No clue how they messed it up but I thought the last Volition game Agency of Mayhem was already really vapid and mediocre, so I never had high hopes for this reboot.

You would have thought they'd have learned from Agents Of Mayhem's failure.  They did not.
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #602 on: May 08, 2023, 11:18:41 PM »
My understanding is that Volition has had a lot of turnover since IV, they may have been going "back" to Saints Row after Agents of Mayhem but I don't think it was exactly the same people at all.

According to mobygames the prior games are quite a ways down the list:
Collaborations
People who have worked on this game have also collaborated on the creation of the following games:

Dead Island 2, a group of 255 people
Agents of Mayhem, a group of 242 people
Chorus, a group of 212 people
The Chant, a group of 186 people
Dolmen, a group of 184 people
Gungrave: G.O.R.E, a group of 176 people
Gods Will Fall, a group of 152 people
Saints Row IV, a group of 148 people
Iron Harvest, a group of 129 people
Saints Row: The Third - Remastered, a group of 125 people
Saints Row: The Third, a group of 124 people
Wasteland 3, a group of 113 people
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell, a group of 107 people
Windbound, a group of 107 people
Phoenix Point: Year One Edition, a group of 89 people
Saints Row 2, a group of 85 people
Metro: Exodus, a group of 84 people
Relicta, a group of 82 people
Red Faction: Guerrilla, a group of 72 people
Red Faction: Guerrilla - Re-Mars-tered, a group of 72 people
Red Faction: Armageddon, a group of 67 people
Homefront: The Revolution, a group of 67 people
Shenmue III, a group of 61 people
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII, a group of 60 people
Final Fantasy VII: Remake, a group of 59 people

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #603 on: May 09, 2023, 03:19:53 AM »

"Not GTA" is really all they need to go with - literally an alternative type of sandbox to whatever GTA is doing.
GTA4 went super serial in tone, and had deliberately fucked up mechanics to make 'end game' feel more fun. By contrast, SR3/4 went goofy OTT and had you doing crazy shit from the get go - you get a fucking drone airstrike in like, the second or third mission.

So whether they go super subdued, small scale and ultra realistic (like, accurately model a small town where you can go inside every single unique habitat, every npc is unique, physics are real world rather than hollywood, whatever) or completely OTT and embrace the gameyness of it all, feeling different to GTA and thereby offering an alternative is still a viable niche.

Given the last GTA came out nearly 10 years ago (september 2013) and has pivoted to being a pseudo F2P MMO, theres a lot of scope for being different and leaning into it.

Bebpo

« Reply #604 on: May 09, 2023, 03:41:29 AM »
Even Saints Row IV was kind of so-so and was just a reskin matrix map of SRIII.

It's weird in that II and III rocked and then it's like they had no budget and had to do these reskins instead of making a full new map, new story, new SR and then they finally do that with this reboot but it's too late and the franchise is dead by then.

Just odd given that SRIII seemed like a big success that they didn't take their time with SRIV and make a proper full fledged new game.

Svejk

« Reply #605 on: May 09, 2023, 08:53:47 AM »
With the likes of what Volition did with the SRIII Remaster too, it did show that they do care about the Row... It's weird to me they didn't look like they put the same effort into the reboot.

But, alas, with their continuing road map, still no jiggle physics.   :stahp 

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #606 on: May 09, 2023, 09:12:44 AM »
Remember when bore members were having meltdowns over this piece of shit and left the site in protest? :girlaff :neogaf :show
Margs

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #607 on: May 09, 2023, 09:23:03 AM »
No, post quotes
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #608 on: May 09, 2023, 10:35:06 AM »
no u
Margs

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #609 on: May 09, 2023, 06:29:23 PM »
How is people getting fed up with modern progressive thinking not legit criticism? Everything about what they've shown makes me think they'll beat me over the head with their lukewarm "progressive" takes.

Because Saint's Row has always punched up and made fun of whatever's trending when it came out. The lieutenants very much look like a tongue in cheek handling of wokeness and millennials to me... like, has SR ever played anything straight?

Not to mention outside of twitter "wokeness" isn't even a thing, and anyone who claims it is invariably turns out to either have fallen for right wing propaganda or have been told at some point in their life not to say the n word

(Image removed from quote.)

Like seriously guys, are you worried that you're going to have to play through sensitivity training before a mission or some shit? gtfo

I agree with Cindy, gamers should be collectively thrown into the sea

The dregs of this shitty forum, 14 years on, have finely broken me. Later y'all, you all suck and have shitty taste.
Uncle

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #610 on: May 09, 2023, 06:44:05 PM »
Played the patched version for about an hour, its less janky than i recall, but the game still is pretty rotten.

Its so fucking boring to play.
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #611 on: May 09, 2023, 09:57:36 PM »

It's weird in that II and III rocked and then it's like they had no budget and had to do these reskins instead of making a full new map, new story, new SR and then they finally do that with this reboot but it's too late and the franchise is dead by then.

Just odd given that SRIII seemed like a big success that they didn't take their time with SRIV and make a proper full fledged new game.

It started out as an expansion to SR3 and then they just decided to turn it into a full game because of how large it got, IIRC.  I was bummed by the asset and map re-use, but it did feel like a different game since the play mechanics were changed up so much.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #612 on: May 10, 2023, 01:34:00 AM »

It started out as an expansion to SR3 and then they just decided to turn it into a full game because of how large it got, IIRC.  I was bummed by the asset and map re-use, but it did feel like a different game since the play mechanics were changed up so much.

I mean it was fun, so I can't hate on it too much. Pretty much 100%'d it and enjoyed my time.

It just was like...ok, now where's the real SR4
...and then Gat Out of Hell.

Maybe these should've just been expansions like The Ballad of Gay Tony and then a real proper SR4. But instead it was those two and then Agents of Mayhem and then the new SR and it just killed the series momentum it had after SRIII.

Just a real shame.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #613 on: May 10, 2023, 02:08:34 AM »
Played the patched version for about an hour, its less janky than i recall, but the game still is pretty rotten.

Its so fucking boring to play.

Boring is a significantly worse sin than broken. There's a reason Eurojank is so popular
itm

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: May 10, 2023, 01:26:34 PM »

It looks boring though

This is the new 10$ dlc you can finish it in 30 minutes
What

pilonv1

« Reply #615 on: June 10, 2023, 08:28:00 AM »
Next expansion is some shitty horde more where you can't even use your own character

https://saintsrow.com/us/news/what-is-murder-circus

You play as one of four contestants. The Boss has already aced it, so it’s time to put some new skills and combat styles to the test. There’s a former cop out for justice, the rightful heir to the Panteros who’s jonesing to take over, a big game hunter after his biggest prey yet, and a Murder Circus superfan who somehow got added to the roster. Each contestant has their own “Rival” - an ultimate boss they will face when they max out their level to truly test their mettle in this battle for infamy.

:goty

Have given up even wanting to play this for free and am trying to get Gentlemen of the Row working on my Steam Deck
itm

benjipwns

« Reply #616 on: June 17, 2023, 04:52:24 AM »

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #617 on: June 17, 2023, 06:30:40 AM »
Might as well get the last few dollars they can from suckers via steam sales n shit I suppose :trumps

(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #618 on: July 17, 2023, 06:47:17 PM »
Sooooo is it still not worth it for $23? On sale right now.  :doge

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #619 on: July 17, 2023, 07:32:52 PM »
wait for gamepas/soy pass/egs free game imo. Unless you're absolutely desperate to play one of the dullest games I've played in years :trumps
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #620 on: July 18, 2023, 03:01:04 AM »

No sirree
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #621 on: July 20, 2023, 10:57:27 AM »
Announced for Steam:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/742420/Saints_Row/

Saints Row contatins frequent violence with blood effects and portrays the rise of a criminal gang in a realistic modern day America. Frequent cursing, crude humor and sexual innuendos are present throughout the dialogue. The character editor allows the player to be naked including censored genitalia and uncovered breasts.

Biblically Accurate America :salute
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #622 on: July 20, 2023, 12:30:47 PM »

No sirree

Have you played it?
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #623 on: July 20, 2023, 03:24:37 PM »
I see no need for such nightmares in my life
What

benjipwns

« Reply #624 on: August 24, 2023, 08:57:57 PM »
It's launched on Steam now and 67% off, so under $20.

pilonv1

« Reply #625 on: August 25, 2023, 06:32:27 AM »
67% off on release, should be almost free by Black Friday
itm

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #626 on: August 25, 2023, 12:11:02 PM »
Dont do it...
What

Bebpo

« Reply #627 on: August 25, 2023, 08:25:35 PM »
67% off on release, should be almost free by Black Friday

It's launched on Steam now and 67% off, so under $20.

Yeah, you know a game's bad when day 1 launch is 67% off  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #628 on: August 26, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »
I thought I might finally get it since it's priced right at under $20, but the user reviews largely indicate that the game is still a buggy mess and there's way too people saying it doesn't even work with controllers.
:nope
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #629 on: August 26, 2023, 03:05:58 PM »
I thought I might finally get it since it's priced right at under $20, but the user reviews largely indicate that the game is still a buggy mess and there's way too people saying it doesn't even work with controllers.
:nope
:jeanluc

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #630 on: August 26, 2023, 07:27:44 PM »
 :snob
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #631 on: August 28, 2023, 09:51:30 AM »
Its apparently coming to soy pass next month :doge

My advice would be not to waste precious hard drive space on it, you could have something way more worthwhile taking up that 50 odd gig.
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #632 on: August 31, 2023, 08:13:53 AM »
I decided the get it.  The question is...will it be even decent enough for $20 or will I be refunding it?  Let's find out!
:aweshum
ど助平

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #633 on: August 31, 2023, 09:50:23 AM »
Its apparently coming to soy pass next month :doge

My advice would be not to waste precious hard drive space on it, you could have something way more worthwhile taking up that 50 odd gig.

Like Starfield, or Forza Motorsport :philspencersmile
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Svejk

« Reply #634 on: August 31, 2023, 10:40:17 AM »
I decided the get it.  The question is...will it be even decent enough for $20 or will I be refunding it?  Let's find out!
:aweshum
Guess I'll be trying it out too next week.  :aweshum

benjipwns

« Reply #635 on: August 31, 2023, 01:31:11 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #636 on: August 31, 2023, 01:32:22 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #637 on: August 31, 2023, 02:39:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1697288775968174478

LOL, not looking good for this game.  :lol  Pour another one out for the Saints Row 2 PC patch.  RIP Idol Ninja.

This is not necessarily the end of Saints Row.  Deep Silver still owns the IP and rumor is that they are looking to have another game made.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #638 on: August 31, 2023, 04:15:21 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1697288775968174478

They put their game on Sony Pass and then one day later they were out of business. Makes you think.
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #639 on: August 31, 2023, 05:18:03 PM »
I don't think anyone should be shocked by this, and I'm guessing all the main talent who made the games people liked bounced in between original THQ going bankrupt and now.

Bioware is probably next, especially seeing as both nu Dragon Age and nu Mass Effect are essentially vapour ware at this point.
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #640 on: August 31, 2023, 05:57:22 PM »
Yeah, I liked Violition's old output, but it was pretty clear after the latest Saint's Row flopped extremely hard, that they weren't going to make it.  :-\

pilonv1

« Reply #641 on: August 31, 2023, 08:28:35 PM »
SR2 PC patch :maf
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #642 on: August 31, 2023, 08:54:05 PM »
This is rough.

When Rockstar was still worrying about how to address 360/PS3 generation, Volition made a GTA-killer that shined on every level. Then as a follow-up, the sequel doubled down on the craziness and made it co-op. Sceneman and I had so many hours poured into SR2. Just amazing.

I’ve heard the work environment was oppressive, so maybe not the poster boy for healthy working life. I am grateful for their games though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #643 on: August 31, 2023, 09:18:18 PM »
That was two flops in a row for them- Agents Of Mayhem didn't exactly light the world on fire, either.

I loved SR2 and SR3.  Those are my favorites and I'd love to see someone get SR2 working better on PC one day.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #644 on: September 01, 2023, 12:48:13 AM »
Utterly heartbreaking what happened. Thanks for the memories Volition.

The hardest thing to swallow is SR2 and Idolninja. This man literally died working on this game and it meant so much to him.
IYKYK

pilonv1

« Reply #645 on: September 01, 2023, 07:09:06 AM »
Almost everything about SR2 was perfect. Really wish we got to see the work Idolninja did as himu mentioned  :cry
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #646 on: September 01, 2023, 07:53:35 AM »
I don't pay attention to this side of things, but does SR2 on 360 run well with emulators?  Could be a viable workaround.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #647 on: September 01, 2023, 08:07:18 AM »
Initial impressions of Saint's Row 2022:

-Most of the characters seem to be just as terrible as videos pointed them out to be.  The opening scene with the dance party going on was straight cringe.  I liked that the big bodyguard dude appears to be a roided up Ben Affleck, though.

-The boss' voices are kind of "tame."  Just not as over the top as previous games.  This is a let down.  I had to change the English accent to one of the American ones because it just wasn't working.   :cry

-Character creation is still good although I didn't see a way to import Boss Factory characters- they never released the app for the Steam version either, lol.  I think you can get around this by changing appearances and entering codes via the phone?

-Forced (radio) music plays during the opening missions.  This has happened before but there's just something kinda lame about it this time around.  I mean, I like "I left my wallet in El Segundo" and all, but did we really need to just drive to the hideout for five minutes while this played? 

-The first mission where you're part of a mercenary group is pretty bad.  Just waves of dumb enemies that you shoot up with weapons with unlimited ammo.  Felt like a snoozefest.

-The second mission is a robbery but all you do is just drive and then run from the cops.  At one point, the game put me on a bike and after going over a hill and doing a big "cinematic" jump, my character hit the ground, slammed into a wall, and fell off the bike, which was right in front of me.  A timer popped up saying that I had like 15 seconds to get back on the bike, only I couldn't get the character to get on, time ran out, and the mission failed.  Clearly they did not fix all the bugs in this game.  The checkpoint was pretty close to this area, so restarting wasn't a big deal, but after making the jump and not crashing this time, I found that I was at the end of the mission and just needed to go a few more feet to complete it.  Why couldn't this be finished on foot?

-Not sure if this needs to be unlocked or if they removed it, but I couldn't find a way to run at someone and then take them down.  I really miss this from the older games.

That aside, the game play seems OK and it still feels like a Saints Row game, but a lot of the dialogue and story are just bad.  The easiest way to sum it up is with this gif:

They tried way, way too hard to appeal to a younger crowd and they really missed the mark.  And now they're shuttered.  The game doesn't really scream "woke" like some people made it out to be (at least so far), it's more like they just toned down a lot of the dumb, crude humor and replaced it with bland, boring story and characters instead.

I think I'm gonna keep it and play through the game, but I'm not expecting too much here.  $20 or less is definitely the right price for this.

EDIT: Forgot to mention performance on PC.  It's all right- I turned the settings up to maximum (but turned off motion blur) and got around 60-70 FPS average at 1600P.  There are some things in the game that look pretty good, but overall this doesn't really feel like a game that should be running at that low of a frame rate given what's going on most of the time.  I would have expected well over 100 FPS.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 08:12:43 AM by bork »
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #648 on: September 01, 2023, 10:06:14 AM »
I still find the really good SR3 remaster to be one of the weirdest releases ever (in a good way), if theres anyone besides EA you'd expect to do a bare minimum cash grab "remaster" its whatever Embracer were called then, but they did it right.
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #649 on: September 01, 2023, 04:54:24 PM »
I don't pay attention to this side of things, but does SR2 on 360 run well with emulators?  Could be a viable workaround.
Xenia apparently emulates it well.

The PC version is fine too though, especially the GOG version which has the CPU limiter on by default. The PC version has been fine for over a decade as technology advanced past its issues, I have no clue why people have refused to play it. It wasn't even unplayable at the time, I had few issues with it personally and it's always had tons of options including more than the later games. Mike's patch was an upgrade with new content but it hasn't been necessary just to play the game normally.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #650 on: September 02, 2023, 05:29:02 AM »
That aside, the game play seems OK and it still feels like a Saints Row game, but a lot of the dialogue and story are just bad.

They tried way, way too hard to appeal to a younger crowd and they really missed the mark.  And now they're shuttered.  The game doesn't really scream "woke" like some people made it out to be (at least so far), it's more like they just toned down a lot of the dumb, crude humor and replaced it with bland, boring story and characters instead.

They actually got rid of some of the worst dialogue with one of the DLC updates.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #651 on: September 02, 2023, 02:41:13 PM »
That aside, the game play seems OK and it still feels like a Saints Row game, but a lot of the dialogue and story are just bad.

They actually got rid of some of the worst dialogue with one of the DLC updates.

This is kind of hilarious, but I guess counts as an improvement?  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #652 on: September 02, 2023, 02:41:42 PM »
Xenia apparently emulates it well.

The PC version is fine too though, especially the GOG version which has the CPU limiter on by default. The PC version has been fine for over a decade as technology advanced past its issues, I have no clue why people have refused to play it. It wasn't even unplayable at the time, I had few issues with it personally and it's always had tons of options including more than the later games. Mike's patch was an upgrade with new content but it hasn't been necessary just to play the game normally.

I never actually tried it on PC.  Always just read that it was a buggy mess and that Gentlemen Of The Row helped to fix issues.
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #653 on: September 03, 2023, 10:18:48 AM »
Well, I mean it's a buggy mess on consoles too, that's the engine. The problem with the PC version was common back then in ports, poor translation from the multi-core multi-threaded 360 CPU, but technology has more than solved that issue.

The Steam version actually has the inverse issue now (or did last I tried it), it runs at like 9000 fps with physics and inputs all similarly accelerated unless you have a CPU limiter, which is why I recommend GOG's as they're pretty used to having to fix that for old games and so did. Coincidentally, CDPR is the one who did the port.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #654 on: September 03, 2023, 06:45:31 PM »

This is kind of hilarious, but I guess counts as an improvement?  :lol

I worked on a well-known game that featured its first attempt at audio commentary. I was called in the last three weeks of development to “fix“ it. It was unfixable.

I told them the best thing they could do is add an option in settings. That players could at least turn it off. I encountered remarkable resistance, but they did it.

In reviews, the commentary system was called out for being completely putrid, and “the only real benefit is that at least it can be turned off.“

Svejk

« Reply #655 on: September 09, 2023, 12:56:57 PM »
Loaded this up... loaded my boss factory character.. as soon as I step out of the vehicle confirming that it still has the same, meat-headed, unisex, walking animation with not even an ounce of a feminine vibe or jiggle for my vixen boss...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #656 on: September 17, 2023, 07:29:43 AM »
It’s free on PS+ so I downloaded it.
The opening feels free of consequence. I don’t think it allows the player to die.
Gunplay feels leaden and dull.

C’mon, son…

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2023, 08:26:11 AM »
Not worth the disk space or your time I assure you lol
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #658 on: December 30, 2023, 10:51:52 AM »