Author Topic: Saints Row reboot :|  (Read 38925 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: SAINTS FUCKING ROW
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2021, 12:52:39 PM »
I think the fact that different people have different favorite entries in the series (I'm actually with boredfrom in that I enjoyed 3 and 4 the most, I *liked* dialing the absurdity up to 11 and the gameplay in 4 where you have super powers in the matrix is my favorite) just kind of shows that if they do the reboot well, it'll be fine. I have enjoyed all the games in the series, I dunno why y'all fuckers gotta fight over dumb shit. If they put out a crappy game, we'll know when we play it, but for my money they haven't yet.

I'm fine with them doing a reboot, as 4 really felt like it took the absurdity as far as it could go. I'm just not really sold on what the reboot has decided to be. Maybe I'll be proven wrong as the game ends up being really fun, though.
dog

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2021, 01:07:01 PM »
main problem with 4 imo was them stretching out what should have been dlc into a full game, i wasn't mad at it basically becoming crackdown, it should have just been a 5-8 hour thing that cost £15 ;)
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2021, 01:10:30 PM »
Well, when they're saying stuff like this, can't say the brief gameplay snippets were achieving that feeling.

I know I'm dogging on it allot with too much still unknown, but the absurdity bar was raised so damn high with 3 and 4 it's hard not to feel a bit taken back by what they've shown so far.

Thank God it was lowered back down.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2021, 01:42:19 PM »
"KEEP WOKENESS OUT OF SAINTS ROW" says the person who has only played 3 and 4, while neglecting 2, a game about gentrification and corporate colonization of culture. A game where, the previous Saints hideout was turned into a memorial to represent anti-gang sentiment. Saints Row has always had politics hidden in the background behind the zaniness.

It's okay if you haven't played 2, but the please be aware that the Saints franchise is all over the map and your idea of what it is and represents doesn't necessarily mean it's the only interpretation.

I mean, SSX Deadly Descents apparently* turned out OK despite a massively-negative initial trailer and similar "We're changing the series almost 180 style-wise from the other games" vibes.

*what I heard
Yes and no.
It was an alright game in its own right.
It had nothing of what made SSX, SSX. So if you were a fan (i wasn't so whatever) it really didn't deliver on that.

A bit like Rainbow Six Siege you could say, it's a good competitive shooter, but if you liked the Red Storm Rainbow Six games, it really had nothing to offer you.

This one seems closer in general design, just the humor and style seem different, so even if you hate the style, you'll probably be able to somewhat enjoy the open world gameplay.

Well my argument I've always made is that Saints Row IV is a Flanderization of the franchise. You say the new SSX wasn't what made it SSX, but SRIV betrayed so much of what I liked about Saints Row it to this day remains the only game in the franchise I have never completed. Turning a gang crime franchise into one with super powers. Gag.

So things go full circle. One man's shit is another man's treasure.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2021, 01:50:56 PM »
"KEEP WOKENESS OUT OF SAINTS ROW" says the person who has only played 3 and 4, while neglecting 2, a game about gentrification and corporate colonization of culture. A game where, the previous Saints hideout was turned into a memorial to represent anti-gang sentiment. Saints Row has always had politics hidden in the background behind the zaniness.

I agree with this, except this new edition literally looks like you are playing as millennial corporate influencer gentrifiers #squadgoals #relatable

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2021, 01:51:24 PM »
Tone is less of an issue versus Volition's track record since SRIV. Gat Out of Hell and Agents of Mayhem were both super mediocre games, the best thing since Saints Row IV (2013) and now has been a remaster of Saints Row 3.

"We're returning to our roots guys" is empty sentiment if you haven't released a great game in 8 years. I'm expecting a serviceable GTA clone but nothing as good as SR2 or 3, especially 2.
OH!

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2021, 01:53:37 PM »
also, good fucking luck with this if we're getting Vice City and San Andreas in the GTAV engine next year

Himu

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2021, 01:58:11 PM »
I watched the preview linked on last page and I'm falling into my knees in ectasy. Finally grounded yet insane Row is back. This is very SR2 esque, where the characters have their own things and passions. A big problem with characterization started in 3 where it became far more Boss oriented and characters like Shaundi were kind of changed in a weird way or the enemy gangs are barely characterized. Again, flanderization.

This looks back to basics in a lot of ways with the gameplay of 3 and the story/tone of 2. Strap me in.
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2021, 01:58:31 PM »
Saints Row in general has been a franchise that's been graced with miraculous luck and a lot of thoughtful repurposing. THQ being a shaky publisher on the verge of not existing meant Saints Row as a franchise being about reusing assets and adding new gameplay ideas consistently.

Which is what classic PS2 GTAs did minus having a shaky publisher. Reuse assets or repurpose assets, add everything you can to the games.

OH!

Himu

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2021, 01:59:30 PM »

I agree with this, except this new edition literally looks like you are playing as millennial corporate influencer gentrifiers #squadgoals #relatable

I'm not seeing it besides their fashion. It's what's in. Who cares. It's Saints Row. I'm pretty sure they're customizable.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2021, 02:19:09 PM »

It's okay if you haven't played 2, but the please be aware that the Saints franchise is all over the map and your idea of what it is and represents doesn't necessarily mean it's the only interpretation.
Political satire is another thing SR just copied wholesale from GTA tbh.
Their political radio shows were basically those from GTA copy pasted in.

I mean, SSX Deadly Descents apparently* turned out OK despite a massively-negative initial trailer and similar "We're changing the series almost 180 style-wise from the other games" vibes.

*what I heard
Yes and no.
It was an alright game in its own right.
It had nothing of what made SSX, SSX. So if you were a fan (i wasn't so whatever) it really didn't deliver on that.

A bit like Rainbow Six Siege you could say, it's a good competitive shooter, but if you liked the Red Storm Rainbow Six games, it really had nothing to offer you.

This one seems closer in general design, just the humor and style seem different, so even if you hate the style, you'll probably be able to somewhat enjoy the open world gameplay.

Well my argument I've always made is that Saints Row IV is a Flanderization of the franchise. You say the new SSX wasn't what made it SSX, but SRIV betrayed so much of what I liked about Saints Row it to this day remains the only game in the franchise I have never completed. Turning a gang crime franchise into one with super powers. Gag.

So things go full circle. One man's shit is another man's treasure.
[/quote]
Yeah but did i argue in favor of SR4? You're saying the same thing i'm saying, that the series gradually lost the plot with each subsequent entry, and needed to be toned down.
Although this new one seems more in the tone of 3, than 2.
2 out of 3 enemy factions aren't even rival gangs (kind of like SR3/4, where the gang thing was basically gone).

Although i agree with MormaPope about the series in general being graced with good luck, all in all they were mediocre games, saved by charm.
If you remove that charm, they'll have a very hard time getting by, but then again GTA is MIA and there is little to no competition in the genre nowadays.

Himu

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2021, 02:21:15 PM »
"Although i agree with MormaPope about the series in general being graced with good luck, all in all they were mediocre games, saved by charm."

Saints Row 2 is imo the best sandbox game of all time. Fuck off.

Saints Row's political satire is nothing like GTA's. What an odd comment.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2021, 02:24:09 PM »
"Although i agree with MormaPope about the series in general being graced with good luck, all in all they were mediocre games, saved by charm."

I think it's the pinnacle of the series overall, but i think it's still janky as shit, and mostly good because it's-got-a-lot-of-heart kind of thing.
But it has a lot of creativity though, not denying that.

This could be straight out of a GTA.

But then it got increasingly about references and slapstick obviously SR is much more comedic than GTA.

Himu

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »

I think it's the pinnacle of the series overall, but i think it's still janky as shit, and mostly good because it's-got-a-lot-of-heart kind of thing.

Saints Row 3 isn't nowhere as good as 2, but it's still pretty fucking good. I won't mention the abortion that is IV. SR1 is better than GTAIV.

Who cares about jank and why does it make a game lesser exactly? Going by that argument GTAIII, VC, and SA aren't great games. I can still play and love GTAIII on the PS2.

This could be straight out of a GTA.

But then it got increasingly about references and slapstick obviously SR is much more comedic than GTA.

You're having this off of 1, which is the only game in the franchise that unabashedly is a complete unashamed GTA clone? Lol. Ok..
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:33:01 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2021, 02:32:46 PM »
I think my wording of absurdity was taken wrong (or a poor choice of words on my part)... What I'm implying is the insane amount of customization that was allowed.  In SRIII, Can you own a tank? Yes.. Can you paint it and decorate it?  Yes... kind of.   Doing and wearing whatever you want; whether it be goofy or serious, that's what made me love what it became.   THAT's what I want to be "absurd"... the amount of customization.  I want it to be so saturated with content and customization options... Let me wear 3 shirts over each other.. Let me adjust the level my pants sag... let me choose the design on the rims I put on my vehicle. Let me design the tatoos.. Let me choose what type of gun attachments I want on my tank or helicopter... Let me choose what sunglasses to wear with what hat I'm wearing and how I wear it... Let me choose what type of muscle tone or jiggle my character has when walking...  Let me choose a variety of idle animations and posture...  I want them to "Blow the roof Off" in that aspect.... but they have yet to show that... If it's in there, they should've showed snippets of that in the gameplay too, imo. 

I wasn't implying; "Let's go beyond space and aliens and start doing time travel and go full Bill & Ted!!" type shit.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2021, 02:35:48 PM »
Why is jank bad and why does jank mean mediocre? How can you possibly reconcile "pentacle of the genre" and "these games are mediocre?"

Saints Row 3 isn't nowhere as good as 2, but it's still pretty fucking good. I won't mention the abortion that is IV. SR1 is better than GTAIV.

Who cares about jank and why does it make a game lesser exactly?
Because in a game, jank means things like bad animations, shoddy physics, unpolished controls, etc.
I like plenty of janky games, but i like them in spite of the jank.
The only thing i'll concede is that jank can grant a level of charm, which as i said, SR played off of well.

Also "pinnacle of the genre" is something you said, and i think it's bullshit, so that's how i reconcile it.

Himu

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2021, 02:37:27 PM »
I think my wording of absurdity was taken wrong (or a poor choice of words on my part)... What I'm implying is the insane amount of customization that was allowed.  In SRIII, Can you own a tank? Yes.. Can you paint it and decorate it?  Yes... kind of.   Doing and wearing whatever you want; whether it be goofy or serious, that's what made me love what it became.   THAT's what I want to be "absurd"... the amount of customization.  I want it to be so saturated with content and customization options... Let me wear 3 shirts over each other.. Let me adjust the level my pants sag... let me choose the design on the rims I put on my vehicle. Let me design the tatoos.. Let me choose what type of gun attachments I want on my tank or helicopter... Let me choose what sunglasses to wear with what hat I'm wearing and how I wear it... Let me choose what type of muscle tone or jiggle my character has when walking...  Let me choose a variety of idle animations and posture...  I want them to "Blow the roof Off" in that aspect.... but they have yet to show that... If it's in there, they should've showed snippets of that in the gameplay too, imo. 

I wasn't implying; "Let's go beyond space and aliens and start doing time travel and go full Bill & Ted!!" type shit.

In the video posted last page they tease at the customization and it looks like a doozey.

Speaking of customization. We can't have a Saints thread without our beautiful fellow Boreans classic video.

:bow
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2021, 02:38:42 PM »
Why is jank bad and why does jank mean mediocre? How can you possibly reconcile "pentacle of the genre" and "these games are mediocre?"

Because in a game, jank means things like bad animations, shoddy physics, unpolished controls, etc.
The only thing i'll concede is that jank can grant a level of charm, which as i said, SR played off of well.

Also "pinnacle of the genre" is something you said, and i think it's bullshit, so that's how i reconcile it.

Read my edit. Is GTAIII not a classic because it has "jank"?
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2021, 02:46:24 PM »

Read my edit. Is GTAIII not a classic because it has "jank"?
I don't get what you mean.
A game can be good, or even a classic, even with jank. I never disputed this?
I'm saying Saint's Row, in my opinion, was never a masterpiece, 2 was what got closer, but i still wouldn't call it that.
You can have jank and be a masterpiece (and vice versa, plenty of super polished turds out there), but you have to bring something to make up for it, and i don't think SR ever did enough to do that, despite, again, loving it.

If you think it's the best sandbox ever made i'm not trying to change your mind, i dunno how you expect me to prove to you a subjective statement, to be honest.

Himu

« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2021, 02:48:31 PM »
It's fine that you don't like them. My main criticism is the idea that because a game has jank in it that it's mediocre which you labeled the Saints franchise. You said the Saints franchise is nothing without charm, something I completely disagree with wholesale.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2021, 03:01:40 PM »
I like them, i don't think they're amazing games (except maybe 2, but again, i probably wouldn't call it a masterpiece).
Jank is only one part of the puzzle though, there's many games that have jank that i would consider amazing.

That said, i haven't played 2 in years, was waiting for the patch, so maybe i could change my mind replaying it.

I think SR1 was kind of mediocre when it came out and aged terribly.
And i think SR3 was the most polished one, but missed much of the fun things from SR2 and started to go too self aware losing its charm.
Then SR4 was basically a glorified expansion that went completely off the rails and really felt stretched thin, too.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2021, 03:01:40 PM »
I can kind of understand the position that SR2 is 'the best' due to it being a bit more tonally restrained than 3, despite all of the mechanical improvements 3 brought, but I can't understand holding that perspective then watching the below trailer and going FUCK YEAH FINALLY BACK TO THE SERIES ROOTS

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2021, 03:16:46 PM »
SR2 is my favorite open world game from the PS3/360 generation, except for maybe The Lost and Damned and Sleeping Dogs.  The graphics were already dated, the soundtrack is good but way too limited (I seriously never want to hear fucking Paramore ever again), the story is garbage, the acting is meh, but good fucking lord the game is just really fucking fun.  I played through it several times - do the pimping side mission to get the dual uzis with unlimited ammo and just go to town for the rest of the game.

Boredfrom

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2021, 04:13:15 PM »
I think the fact that different people have different favorite entries in the series (I'm actually with boredfrom in that I enjoyed 3 and 4 the most, I *liked* dialing the absurdity up to 11 and the gameplay in 4 where you have super powers in the matrix is my favorite) just kind of shows that if they do the reboot well, it'll be fine. I have enjoyed all the games in the series, I dunno why y'all fuckers gotta fight over dumb shit. If they put out a crappy game, we'll know when we play it, but for my money they haven't yet.

A 15 YEAR OLD SERIES WITH 4 MAIN ENTRIES HAS INSPIRED DIFFERENT REACTIONS IN DIFFERENT PEOPLE, NEWS AT 11

I mean, people were not that thrilled by Gat out of Hell and seem that Agents of Mayhem was outright hated, so dunno if Volition is that aware.

But then again, maybe I’m just old for the juvenile tone of the franchise.

Himu

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2021, 08:35:33 PM »
SR2 is my favorite open world game from the PS3/360 generation, except for maybe The Lost and Damned and Sleeping Dogs.  The graphics were already dated, the soundtrack is good but way too limited (I seriously never want to hear fucking Paramore ever again), the story is garbage, the acting is meh, but good fucking lord the game is just really fucking fun.  I played through it several times - do the pimping side mission to get the dual uzis with unlimited ammo and just go to town for the rest of the game.

SR2 is easily the most fun I've ever had with the genre.

Story wise I also think it fucking rocks for what they went for too.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2021, 08:36:35 PM »
I can kind of understand the position that SR2 is 'the best' due to it being a bit more tonally restrained than 3, despite all of the mechanical improvements 3 brought, but I can't understand holding that perspective then watching the below trailer and going FUCK YEAH FINALLY BACK TO THE SERIES ROOTS

I see a tight knit crew having fun and fucking up gangs instead of a stupid game with super powers.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2021, 08:43:05 PM »
Saints Row IV was p dope
dog

Himu

« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2021, 08:54:41 PM »
Saints Row IV was p dope

I understand that game has its fans and I respect it. It's unfortunate I didn't get into it and that we won't see eye to eye on it.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2021, 11:38:04 PM »
All of the Saints Row games are excellent except Gat Out of Hell which is merely good. Agents of Mayhem has a lot of missteps in design. That, more than meme Nintex is trying to push, is the greater concern as to whether or not this can match/top IV.

benjipwns

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2021, 02:42:52 AM »
I will say that the "best" comment I saw about the new main gang so far is that ideally they'd be an enemy gang rather than your own.

Bebpo

« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2021, 02:30:07 PM »
Wait, so people are upset about these character designs?

The trailer looks like Watchdogs 2/3. Watchdogs 2 is one of the greatest sandbox GTA ripoffs there is. I get Saints Row has been more gangster satire, but if it's more Watchdogs 2 that is ok? Everything should be more Watchdogs 2.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2021, 03:26:33 PM »
I didn't like any of the characters in Watch Dogs 2, almost impossible not to skip the cutscenes (but this is true for most Ubisoft games, probably because they have that unified writing team).  :yeshrug
But atm it's mostly visually that i'm finding them terribly uninspired, again the girl with the scorpion shirt is straight out of a The Sims or Tony Hawk character creator.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2021, 04:08:46 PM »
Everything should be more Watchdogs 2.

:donot

No.  No Ubishit, please.  I want more of the awesome stuff that Volition did with SR2, 3, and 4. 
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2021, 04:33:59 PM »
Wait, so people are upset about these character designs?

The trailer looks like Watchdogs 2/3. Watchdogs 2 is one of the greatest sandbox GTA ripoffs there is. I get Saints Row has been more gangster satire, but if it's more Watchdogs 2 that is ok? Everything should be more Watchdogs 2.

No it really shouldnt. Ubisoft cant write for shit
What

mormapope

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2021, 06:48:14 PM »
Watch Dogs 1 has better gunplay and combat than any GTA (I say this as a huge Rockstar fan), along with awesome vehicle handling, and bullet time for combat and driving. Watch Dogs 2 has a fuck ton of gameplay options/variety in its sandbox.

OH!

Boredfrom

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2021, 09:02:38 PM »

No.  No Ubishit, please.  I want more of the awesome stuff that Volition did with SR2, 3, and 4.

???

But, gameplay wise, Watchdogs 2 is awesome.

mormapope

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2021, 10:04:12 PM »

???

It's "Every Ubisoft game is shit" group think, even though they've produced several great games every gen since the PS1.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2021, 10:19:42 PM »
no one cares about watchdogs
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2021, 10:28:04 PM »
More people care about Watch Dogs than Agents of Mayhem  :awesome

OH!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2021, 10:36:00 PM »
Speaking primarily as a pc gamer, Ubisoft is cancelled until they atone for uplay. I have spoken.
yar

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2021, 10:38:49 PM »
Ubisoft have made some good games, but I've not been able to get into many, if any, of their aaa stuff. It's always the smaller budget titles and stuff like rocksmith. Watch dogs was dog dirt for me, the kind of open world game I never want to play again.

Borealis

« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2021, 11:26:49 PM »
In terms of NPC behaviour and variety, honestly Watch Dogs 2's San Fran world was one of the few that came close to SR2's Stilwater. That game was really the least Ubisoft of Ubisoft's formulaic systtems, but I can understand the dislike for its cast and narrative.

Personally, I am glad this steers closer to 2 than 3 and 4. Volition though, need to start showing instead of bloody talking about it given the 6-month window to release.

Bebpo

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2021, 01:33:14 AM »
Anyhow, after that derail I admit I am one of the 5 people in the universe that really liked the vibe & cast of Watchdogs 2. When I think of Gen Z hip dudebro culture satire you cannot get any better than Hackers movie vibe. I guess this Saints Row trailer is more Fortnite vibe, but generally satirical self-aware multi-cultural geek Gen Z-ers works for me /shrug

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2021, 03:26:45 AM »

???

It's "Every Ubisoft game is shit" group think, even though they've produced several great games every gen since the PS1.
I love Ubisoft games usually, i play most of their open worlds and love them.
I think after R* they're the most capable developer, when it comes to creating large virtual spaces.
Something Sony should learn from, going by Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima, for example.

But their writing is consistently shit and some of the worst, most annoying i have experienced in gaming.
They've had that "hello fellow kids" attitude with 90% of their games, in the last 10 years or so.
It was in Watch Dogs 2/Legion, it was in the modern portions of most ACs past 3, all the way up to Rider's Republic of which i played the beta yesterday.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2021, 06:16:13 AM »
Read the run down from this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/saints-row-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-series-epic-everything-you-need-to-know.477027/

The game sounds pretty good so far.
Aside from the lame lieutenants and rival gangs, everything else sounds solid, especially customization.
Also happy full coop wasn't dropped, it was a major leg up SR had over GTA and other open world games.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2021, 06:23:26 AM »
Speaking of customization. We can't have a Saints thread without our beautiful fellow Boreans classic video.

:bow

:bow HSMP :bow2
itm

pilonv1

« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2021, 06:28:23 AM »
Read the run down from this thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/saints-row-ps4-ps5-xbox-one-series-epic-everything-you-need-to-know.477027/

The World section sounds more like Saints Row 2. Steelport was pretty generic and looked similar no matter where you were. Stillwater was really unique and you knew instantly where you were and everything looked different. Hoping that's the case with this new release.
itm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2021, 11:42:01 AM »
Anyhow, after that derail I admit I am one of the 5 people in the universe that really liked the vibe & cast of Watchdogs 2. When I think of Gen Z hip dudebro culture satire you cannot get any better than Hackers movie vibe. I guess this Saints Row trailer is more Fortnite vibe, but generally satirical self-aware multi-cultural geek Gen Z-ers works for me /shrug

It's not gameplay I'm talking about -Volition has that down anyway- it's everything else.  I want SAINTS ROW, not Watch Dogs.  Hard to tell what we're going to get from this new entry- I'm not just going to dismiss it because of the new style.  I'll try it first, but I'm just not digging the new character designs. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 01:32:01 PM by bork »
ど助平

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2021, 02:22:51 PM »
It's still gonna be a day 1 purchase for me

:yeshrug

tbh this is making me want to replay one of the older games, not sure if I should fire up 2 or 3 tho. I never played 2 with the "Gentlemen of the Row" mod, maybe time to try it
yar

Boredfrom

« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2021, 06:21:13 PM »

???

I love Ubisoft games usually, i play most of their open worlds and love them.
I think after R* they're the most capable developer, when it comes to creating large virtual spaces.
Something Sony should learn from, going by Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima, for example.

But their writing is consistently shit and some of the worst, most annoying i have experienced in gaming.
They've had that "hello fellow kids" attitude with 90% of their games, in the last 10 years or so.
It was in Watch Dogs 2/Legion, it was in the modern portions of most ACs past 3, all the way up to Rider's Republic of which i played the beta yesterday.

I said before, but I feel some the writers of Watch Dogs know how fake “Fellow kids” their stories are, so there is moments where they kind of take the piss off. Then again, they keep pushing Aiden like anybody gives a fuck about him or they think AssCreed has a compelling story.

Himu

« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2021, 08:27:55 PM »

tbh this is making me want to replay one of the older games, not sure if I should fire up 2 or 3 tho. I never played 2 with the "Gentlemen of the Row" mod, maybe time to try it

I'd say wait if you're wanting to play SR2. Idolninja, who is dying from cancer by the way, is finishing up SR2 on pc. Respect his dying wish and wait if you want to replay it for the fullest, bestest version of SR2 available.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 08:33:00 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2021, 08:29:30 PM »

Aside from the lame lieutenants and rival gangs, everything else sounds solid, especially customization.
Also happy full coop wasn't dropped, it was a major leg up SR had over GTA and other open world games.

Day 0.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #112 on: August 29, 2021, 11:30:23 PM »

I'd say wait if you're wanting to play SR2. Idolninja, who is dying from cancer by the way, is finishing up SR2 on pc. Respect his dying wish and wait if you want to replay it for the fullest, bestest version of SR2 available.
I think he's passed away just recently.  :(

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2021, 07:05:59 AM »

Yes, he passed away last week.  RIP.   :'(

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-08-26-tributes-to-saints-row-modder-mike-idolninja-watson-who-has-died
ど助平

pilonv1

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2021, 07:06:36 AM »

Besides the wrestling tie in I'm struggling to think of many things I would want to try again from 3. I can think of plenty from 2.
itm

Himu

« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2021, 09:22:35 AM »

Oh my God :stahp Wow.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2021, 02:02:43 PM »
I'd like a more destructible environment. Steelport was very stiff and concrete in this regard. Not even signs and stuff would take damage like in 2.

Stilwater also had interiors and locations that weren't locked into missions. Helped make the world feel connected and encouraged wandering

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2021, 04:35:32 PM »
2 also had more customizable spaces (like safehouses and such) than the sequels, unless i'm remembering wrong.
I hope that stuff is back big time (it would seems like it).

Svejk

« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2021, 05:12:37 PM »
I feel like I've totally missed out on SR2... The first one was so blah and meh back then, I had zero interest in SR2.  Wasn't even gonna care for SR3 until it was free on PS+ and bork insisted I play it... I did and totally had one of the biggest blasts in my gaming memory...  I had no idea.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: August 30, 2021, 05:58:45 PM »
If you thought the first one was blah I dont know why you would like the second one
What