Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1785269 times)

Snoopycat_

Re: Official Off-site Discussion and Women Appreciation Thread |OT| #girlpower
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2021, 07:42:34 PM »
An actual adult responsible for raising a kid posted this -

Sorry for the language in the thread title, but I'm peeved. In fact, I'm downright vexed.

You see, my four-year-old son got this big-ass snake toy from Disney World last week, and he's been so obsessed with it that I thought it'd be a good idea to show him a video of Snake Pass. Naturally, he was mesmerized by what he saw, and being the gamer father that I am I promised him that we'd buy it and play it on PS5 when we got back from Orlando. Well, now we're back and he's jonesing to play some Snake Pass.

Well guess fucking what... it's just gone from PSN. Poof, nothing. See ya later.

You go to this store page link and you're greeted with a "this shit ain't here" message.

Well that's just fuckin' lovely, isn't it? And there's no physical version of Snake Pass for PS4, so that's out the goddamn window as well. I simply can't buy this game in any form for a PlayStation platform and play it with my son. And other than one forum post from the Old Site I've seen zero mention of this anywhere. Sumo Digital's Twitter page has said nothing, and I've seen nothing of the sort on any gaming sites anywhere.

I just want to play Snake Pass at 60fps on my PS5 with my son who loves snakes! Why can't I do that? Now I'm sitting here watching the tears well up in my son's eyes (and my own), struggling to find the words to explain to my boy why his dad's a big ol' failure who can't even provide a night of snake-based platforming action. This is some bullshit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/snake-pass-has-been-de-listed-from-psn-for-some-time-and-nobody-seems-to-give-a-flying-fuck.488680/

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2021, 07:58:09 PM »

Sorry for the digital black face  :(
sigh

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #302 on: September 19, 2021, 07:58:45 PM »
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough with my hyperbolic description of the situation in the OP. I was exaggerating for comedic effect.
Oh ok
🤴

clothedmacuser

« Reply #303 on: September 19, 2021, 08:01:10 PM »
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough with my hyperbolic description of the situation in the OP. I was exaggerating for comedic effect.
Oh ok

sigh

FUME5

« Reply #304 on: September 19, 2021, 08:37:43 PM »
He achieved the comedic effect.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #305 on: September 19, 2021, 10:13:32 PM »
SOMEBODY GET THIS MOTHERFUCKING SNAKE PASS ON MY MOTHERFUCKING PSN!!
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #306 on: September 19, 2021, 10:16:55 PM »
 :hesright

Mostima

« Reply #307 on: September 19, 2021, 10:58:40 PM »
To be fair to the guy, it's pretty hard to be funny without pissing off the joke gestapo on ree

Tasty

« Reply #308 on: September 19, 2021, 11:08:44 PM »
Before I bail out of this thread due to spoilers, I just need a simple spoiler-tagged yes/no on this question:

Is The Matrix Online still canon?

That's it. That's all I need.

If you don't know MxO lore, I do not need to hear from you. Someone let me know with a simple yes/no, thank you. :)

samir

« Reply #309 on: September 19, 2021, 11:44:16 PM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
maybe
[close]

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2021, 11:49:33 PM »
Before I bail out of this thread due to spoilers, I just need a simple spoiler-tagged yes/no on this question:

If you don't know MxO lore, I do not need to hear from you. Someone let me know with a simple yes/no, thank you. :)

Why would WB care about what happened in some shitty game?
fat

Tasty

« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2021, 11:58:14 PM »

Why would WB care about what happened in some shitty game?

WB wouldn't but Lana might.

Tasty

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2021, 12:04:28 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
maybe
[close]

:maf

Unless this is a real answer, in which case, fair enough.

FUME5

« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2021, 01:15:17 AM »

Risible

« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2021, 01:35:22 AM »

Hoisted upon his own distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

Tasty

« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2021, 01:45:32 AM »

Do I know you? Nevermind, I don't care.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2021, 01:49:12 AM »

"Have we met before? Nevermind, don't care"

Tasty

« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2021, 02:01:21 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

"Have we met before? Nevermind, don't care"

I'm just imagining Trin just walking away and Neo being like "Wait, what?" :lol

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2021, 07:35:14 AM »
You will never be a real woman. You have no womb, you have no ovaries, you have no eggs. You are a homosexual man twisted by drugs and surgery into a crude mockery of nature's perfection.

All the "validation" you get is two-faced and half-hearted. Behind your back people mock you. Your parents are disgusted and ashamed of you, your "friends" laugh at your ghoulish appearance behind closed doors.

Men are utterly repulsed by you. Thousands of years of evolution have allowed men to sniff out frauds with incredible efficiency. Even cheeseburgers who "pass" look uncanny and unnatural to a man. Your bone structure is a dead giveaway. And even if you manage to get a drunk guy home with you, he'll turn tail and bolt the second he gets a whiff of your diseased, infected axe wound.

You will never be happy. You wrench out a fake smile every single morning and tell yourself it's going to be ok, but deep inside you feel the depression creeping up like a weed, ready to crush you under the unbearable weight.

Eventually it'll be too much to bear - you'll buy a rope, tie a noose, put it around your neck, and plunge into the cold abyss. Your parents will find you, heartbroken but relieved that they no longer have to live with the unbearable shame and disappointment. They'll bury you with a headstone marked with your birth name, and every passerby for the rest of eternity will know a man is buried there. Your body will decay and go back to the dust, and all that will remain of your legacy is a skeleton that is unmistakably male.

This is your fate. This is what you chose. There is no turning back.

Guys, I'm prepared to admit I was wrong - those Cyberpunk 2077 patch notes are pretty transphobic

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »

Sorry for the language in the thread title, but I'm peeved. In fact, I'm downright vexed.

You see, my four-year-old son got this big-ass snake toy from Disney World last week, and he's been so obsessed with it that I thought it'd be a good idea to show him a video of Snake Pass. Naturally, he was mesmerized by what he saw, and being the gamer father that I am I promised him that we'd buy it and play it on PS5 when we got back from Orlando. Well, now we're back and he's jonesing to play some Snake Pass.

Well guess fucking what... it's just gone from PSN. Poof, nothing. See ya later.

You go to this store page link and you're greeted with a "this shit ain't here" message.

Well that's just fuckin' lovely, isn't it? And there's no physical version of Snake Pass for PS4, so that's out the goddamn window as well. I simply can't buy this game in any form for a PlayStation platform and play it with my son. And other than one forum post from the Old Site I've seen zero mention of this anywhere. Sumo Digital's Twitter page has said nothing, and I've seen nothing of the sort on any gaming sites anywhere.

I just want to play Snake Pass at 60fps on my PS5 with my son who loves snakes! Why can't I do that? Now I'm sitting here watching the tears well up in my son's eyes (and my own), struggling to find the words to explain to my boy why his dad's a big ol' failure who can't even provide a night of snake-based platforming action. This is some bullshit.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/snake-pass-has-been-de-listed-from-psn-for-some-time-and-nobody-seems-to-give-a-flying-fuck.488680/

We got parody threads now.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/p-t-has-been-de-listed-from-psn-for-some-time-and-nobody-seems-to-give-a-flying-fuck.488890/

Quote from: Alvis

You see, my four-year-old son got this big-ass horror doll toy from a horror themed attraction last week, and he's been so obsessed with it that I thought it'd be a good idea to show him a video of P.T. Naturally, he was mesmerized by what he saw, and being the gamer father that I am I promised him that we'd buy it and play it on PS5 when we got back from Orlando. Well, now we're back and he's jonesing to play some P.T.

header.jpg

Konami to potential users on PS platforms: "So long, fuckos!"

Well that's just fuckin' lovely, isn't it? And there's no physical version of P.T for PS4, so that's out the goddamn window as well. I simply can't download this game in any form for a PlayStation platform and play it with my son. And other than one forum post from the Old Site I've seen zero mention of this anywhere. Konami's Twitter page has said nothing, and I've seen nothing of the sort on any gaming sites anywhere.

I just want to play P.T at 60fps on my PS5 with my son who loves creepy stuff! Why can't I do that? Now I'm sitting here watching the tears well up in my son's eyes (and my own), struggling to find the words to explain to my boy why his dad's a big ol' failure who can't even provide a night of Kojima-made horror action. This is some bullshit.
ど助平

Snoopycat_

« Reply #320 on: September 20, 2021, 08:34:22 AM »
Somehow it gets worse -

I care. But also wtf @ having a 4 yr old play an intense horror game explicitly about a guy who murdered his family.
If this is a joke, its not particularly clever.

These finger waving, tutting cunts drain the life out of everything.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/p-t-has-been-de-listed-from-psn-for-some-time-and-nobody-seems-to-give-a-flying-fuck.488890/page-2#post-73711630

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #321 on: September 20, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »
why hasn't this been locked saying "don't make reaction threads"
Uncle

Snoopycat_

« Reply #322 on: September 20, 2021, 09:18:24 AM »
They're reporting as hard as they can but nothing is being done. Morrigan is probably busy campaigning to get Motley Crue banned from heavy metal.

I thought parody and reaction threads weren't allowed?

Aren't parody threads like this not allowed?

ShutUp

« Reply #323 on: September 20, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »
Having fun is indeed not allowed there. Mods need to sort this out.

« Reply #324 on: September 20, 2021, 11:14:36 AM »
So overnight there was Community Drama in the weekly Media Create sales thread. I've only ever really popped in there to check numbers and dip out, so I have zero opinion on the apparent festering issues with hot-take Sony Ponys drive-bying the thread or the Nintendo faithful constantly port-begging in there, or whatever else the overall problem is.

The latest kerfuffle, unsurprisingly, seems to stem from the moderation team having paper-thin skin. cvxfreak and Chris1964 get into it over the meaning of some article about some talk a guy did.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-36-2021-sep-06-sep-12-read-staff-post.487222/post-73650931
Quote from: cvxfreak
The aggressive responses in here are clearly from people who don't actually read Japanese, only filtering the info through Google Translate for a surface level understanding, and then making assumptions about what the overarching point of the talk is, culminating in the perpetuation of false information. It needs to stop.

Things to keep in mind:
The Famitsu article is a SUMMARY of Matsuyama's talk
Matsuyama's talk itself is a SUMMARY of his 128-page book about the subject of game development (which, as you might imagine, is a lot more nuanced than a Famitsu summary)
If you want to criticize Matsuyama's findings, read the book first. Good luck with that if you don't know Japanese.
The Famitsu summary literally quotes Matsuyama as saying "Of course, it depends on the product." In Japanese, people will automatically infer that to mean there will be variance in the actual data, but the underlying point of Matsuyama's talk about how parts of the industry subsidize others is the key takeaway (of course, Google Translate won't tell you that, nor will analyzing Japanese through your native language or English)
Good grief, people.

Quote from: Chris1964
Matsuyama's seminar is low level analysis with this 100k barrier and if he wanted to say "it depends on the game" maybe he shouldn't post all these slides generalising everything. Even the person who attended the seminar made the same observations and I'm sure he knew Japanese.

When I present a summary of a project at my work I don't expect those who listen to know the entire background of it because I said something but that's not what I wanted to say and I meant something else.

They go back and forth for a while and it ends around here, with nobody being actioned:
Since this discussion won't end, for last time I say that I don't take back a word, except the ResetEra troll part, from what I said for Matsuyama presentation and the supposed false information I provided unless I want to forget everything I know for statistical and market analysis.

Ignorance of Japanese reality, google translation, surface analysis, having to be there or reading the book so that I can see the full picture have nothing to do with my opinion, everyone is judged for what he says and I can also judge what I read.

But then discussion about moderation continues, with Chris being fairly critical:
From the moment the increase of drive by and troll posts is allowed from moderation don't be surprised if you see everywhere passive aggressive posts even where there aren't. We have more accusations for passive aggressive posts in this thread than how many actually there are and the famous meme for "bad Media Create threads and posters" gets free pass anymore even in here.

A transparent alt account was recently permanently banned after years of hot takes and pollution in these threads and not because he was finally discovered but because of multiple bans for the same reason. So yes, don't expect moderators to solve everything or that this place is closely and carefully watched.

Which, again, unactioned, until he mocks the earlier conversation:
Quote from: Anihawk
i dunno. matsuyama dropping truth bombs about the industry as a whole makes about as much sense as some dude from kemco.
I don't think you are qualified enough to judge Matsuyama.
would it help if i've met the guy?
No, you must learn Japanese fluently and read his book.

Which earns Chris a one-day ban for the "I don't think you are qualified enough" post:
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling over multiple posts

The thread moves on, goes back to sales things, and then later that day Chris is banned for the "I don't think you are qualified" joke. The thread notices, gets mad, and cvxfreak drops the new mod guidelines for the thread:
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION
Lately, there has been an uptick of reported posts and disciplinary action related to the weekly Media Create threads. Many posters have complained of no longer having a voice in these threads because certain posters, including thread regulars, have replied in a hostile or condescending manner. This needs to stop. Please keep the following advice in mind when participating in these threads, regardless of how long you've been part of this community. Failure to do so could result in action being taken.
Sales threads should always be about that — the sales data itself. They should not be used as a guise for port begging, console/platform wars or other forms of trolling that wouldn't be allowed elsewhere on the forum.
In general, sales threads should focus on business and economic elements, i.e. comparing past and present data, observing trends, or making educated guesses.
While these threads do focus on Japan, it is not against the rules to discuss worldwide sales trends in the context of Japanese sales. It is OK to compare data from Japan to other countries, but like all posts, it needs to be done in good faith.
Do not be snarky, passive aggressive, condescending or otherwise disrespectful towards other users that you don't agree with. Not everyone has the same knowledge of sales and business, and if you feel someone is incorrect in their interpretation of data, constructively correct them (in as much detail as possible) instead of mocking them. Make yourself useful, not disruptive.
Sales data should never be weaponized or used to justify racist rhetoric, such as generalizing, mocking or trivializing the interests of another country, such as Japan or China.
Accusations that companies or creators/developers are showing favoritism for or bias against certain companies (i.e. Nagoshi, Harada, Nihon Falcom, etc. for Sony/against Nintendo) are not allowed unless there is evidence supporting such accusations.
Drive-bys and other inappropriate commentary are not allowed. (i.e. no-substance single word/sentences responses like "bomba").
If you're posting any kind of data, please post a link or source for transparency going forward. This not only includes sales data, but also information gleaned from retail blogs or Twitter accounts.
If you're posting about information that originally appeared in a non-English language such as Japanese (or a language you don't necessarily understand), please be confident as to the accuracy of the translation. If you're not confident, say so and reach out to the community to get an accurate reading.
If you see a post that goes against the above guidelines, please report it for review. If you have any questions, please DM a mod such as myself. Thank you.

Regulars are unhappy, people who I'm guessing fall into the drive-by category celebrate the toppling of the Media Create elite, a couple of mod whining warnings are tossed out.

Then the bans start:
Quote from: squall23
User banned (1 month): Mod-whining and inappropriate comparisons to minority issues over multiple posts.
Quote from: mariodk18
I understand the fears some may have here over what has happened in other threads, but I hope we can all take a collective deep breath and let things play out for a bit. cvxfreak has already implied they're willing to flexible on certain rules and I think we should take that at face value. I don't think it's fair to be fatalistic and assume the worst when it hasn't even been a day yet (which by that point Chris will hopefully be back). I do think things were festering for too long and it eventually had to burst. I just don't think we should have unfounded fears until we see drastic shifts happen in moderation.
TransEra after sweeping improvements: gone

AsianEra after sweeping improvements: gone

The worst part is that those communities at least had a few mods that were fighting for them. We don't have that luxury here.

Quote from: mazi
User Banned (3 Days): Derailing Thread Over Numerous Posts, Modwhining
Quote from: fiendcode
Most of the data is pretty easily verifiable too. I mean most people just search numbers at GDL or the old weekly or whitepaper threads on NG/Era.
it's clear whoever asked for that one didn't like chris occasionally posting about shipments and stock.
Quote from: Kiria
User banned (permanent): hostility, mod whining, racist concern trolling, long history of the same behaviour
Quote from: AaronC
I know that mods will say everyone is moderated to the same standard
I don’t know how can anyone say this with a straight face lol.. we had that racist 343 person that didn’t get perma’d until a whole community push the mods to perma ban him

plus we still have another person close with the admins/mods that had multiple bans bout racisim and if that’s any another user they would have been perma’d a long time ago

Quote from: Seiez
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility, accusations of shilling
And that this all was started because a mod seemingly is affiliated with a developer (in whatever form) took grievance to people criticizing said developer by talking down to posters and mocking them for not understanding the language or having to read a book (which the mod seemingly hasn't read either).

The provided translation did almost nothing to change the perception of a poor take from the developer, but the mod took the whole situation to double down and went full scorch earth on the community.

My best guess on this one is the poster rethought the post, tried to remove it, and it was reinstated to explain their ban?
Quote from: Kanann
User banned (duration pending admin review): Mod whining, trolling and hostility over multiple posts. Numerous previous infractions for trolling
Thread need moderation.

But the direction of moderation to please the discord planet is hilarious instead of prioritize ERA community itself.

And can I insult CVX here? you lurking for like 200 years here since GAF and before Jesus walk on water but still pull this out?
Even Nibel and Zhuge was better than that without not making dad/mom jokes.

ps. Ishaan did nothing wrong tho, but he getting use, I guess.

(mod edit: post reverted to previous version)

Quote from: HK-47
User banned (1 week): Mod whining, using an extremely inappropriate comparison invoking minority groups
Quote from: Jawbreaker
Let's see how the threads are moderated going forward. They weren't really moderated at all, trolls or regulars, in the past. If bad faith posters (actual bad faith posters, not people who are curious about the market but aren't as knowledgeable) continue to go unactioned, I'm sure cvxfreak will take a look at it.

The rules are flexible/amenable if they don't work out for the better or cause other issues.
These types of sweeping guidelines have worked out so well in the past and will definitely fix things.

*looks at PC Era, AsiaEra and Trans Era*

I just don’t have any faith in that.
User banned (duration tbd by admins): Mod-whining, inappropriate comparisons, long history of platform warring
XboxEra too.

The thread is then locked by Exactly Who You'd Guess Based On The Recent Ban Messages:
Quote from: Nepenthe
Temporarily locked while we review the reports coming in.
Thread unlocked.

Staff are open to criticism regarding the rules we set in place, especially when it is taken to the appropriate channels. However, that criticism should never jump the line into attacking staff or conspiratorial accusations of bias.

It also shouldn't jump the line into equating the issues of minority communities with video game sales data.

Behave yourselves. Any posts violating any rules here or in cvx's post will be actioned accordingly.

There are a couple of posts objecting to painting "Era mods interacting with communities has not traditionally gone well for the communities" as equating minority issues with game sales, the inhabitants are still unhappy with the changes, and a couple of pages later:
Quote from: Snormy
This thread is locked while we review reports. It may be some time before it reopens if we choose to reopen it.

I'm just going to default assume everyone in the thread, regulars and drive-by posters, kind of suck; but somehow the mods once again manage to wrestle biggest asshole away from the community with their paper-thin skin. Couple of people have taken it to the Constructive thread to, I'm sure, end up either ignored or banned.

BisMarckie

« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »
Didn‘t read lol

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #327 on: September 20, 2021, 12:01:24 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/travel-influencer-bought-a-second-condo-in-detroit-for-44-000-in-cash-%E2%80%94-and-spent-52-000-renovating-it.488827/

I like this guy saying that it's not gentrification while literally describing gentrification

This is someone buying excess real estate. They're not gentrifying the region or driving up the average price in the market since it really doesn't get any cheaper than Detroit.

Straight Edge

• Boots & Braces
« Reply #328 on: September 20, 2021, 12:02:34 PM »
Imagine trying to have mild humor on resetera.
Oi Oi

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #329 on: September 20, 2021, 12:03:39 PM »

It also shouldn't jump the line into equating the issues of minority communities with video game sales data.

The fact that admins on a videogame forum considers a group of videogamers forming a community about a specific videogame niche to be irrelevant and have no say in how that community is treated on that videogame forum compared to people who don't give a fuck about videogames and / or have zero overlapping interests but just happen to all tick the same box on a census form is :delicious

Jansen

« Reply #330 on: September 20, 2021, 12:11:38 PM »
So overnight there was Community Drama in the weekly Media Create sales thread. I've only ever really popped in there to check numbers and dip out, so I have zero opinion on the apparent festering issues with hot-take Sony Ponys drive-bying the thread or the Nintendo faithful constantly port-begging in there, or whatever else the overall problem is.

The latest kerfuffle, unsurprisingly, seems to stem from the moderation team having paper-thin skin. cvxfreak and Chris1964 get into it over the meaning of some article about some talk a guy did.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-36-2021-sep-06-sep-12-read-staff-post.487222/post-73650931
The aggressive responses in here are clearly from people who don't actually read Japanese, only filtering the info through Google Translate for a surface level understanding, and then making assumptions about what the overarching point of the talk is, culminating in the perpetuation of false information. It needs to stop.

Things to keep in mind:
The Famitsu article is a SUMMARY of Matsuyama's talk
Matsuyama's talk itself is a SUMMARY of his 128-page book about the subject of game development (which, as you might imagine, is a lot more nuanced than a Famitsu summary)
If you want to criticize Matsuyama's findings, read the book first. Good luck with that if you don't know Japanese.
The Famitsu summary literally quotes Matsuyama as saying "Of course, it depends on the product." In Japanese, people will automatically infer that to mean there will be variance in the actual data, but the underlying point of Matsuyama's talk about how parts of the industry subsidize others is the key takeaway (of course, Google Translate won't tell you that, nor will analyzing Japanese through your native language or English)
Good grief, people.

Matsuyama's seminar is low level analysis with this 100k barrier and if he wanted to say "it depends on the game" maybe he shouldn't post all these slides generalising everything. Even the person who attended the seminar made the same observations and I'm sure he knew Japanese.

When I present a summary of a project at my work I don't expect those who listen to know the entire background of it because I said something but that's not what I wanted to say and I meant something else.

They go back and forth for a while and it ends around here, with nobody being actioned:
Since this discussion won't end, for last time I say that I don't take back a word, except the ResetEra troll part, from what I said for Matsuyama presentation and the supposed false information I provided unless I want to forget everything I know for statistical and market analysis.

Ignorance of Japanese reality, google translation, surface analysis, having to be there or reading the book so that I can see the full picture have nothing to do with my opinion, everyone is judged for what he says and I can also judge what I read.

But then discussion about moderation continues, with Chris being fairly critical:
From the moment the increase of drive by and troll posts is allowed from moderation don't be surprised if you see everywhere passive aggressive posts even where there aren't. We have more accusations for passive aggressive posts in this thread than how many actually there are and the famous meme for "bad Media Create threads and posters" gets free pass anymore even in here.

A transparent alt account was recently permanently banned after years of hot takes and pollution in these threads and not because he was finally discovered but because of multiple bans for the same reason. So yes, don't expect moderators to solve everything or that this place is closely and carefully watched.

Which, again, unactioned, until he mocks the earlier conversation:
i dunno. matsuyama dropping truth bombs about the industry as a whole makes about as much sense as some dude from kemco.
I don't think you are qualified enough to judge Matsuyama.
would it help if i've met the guy?
No, you must learn Japanese fluently and read his book.

Which earns Chris a one-day ban for the "I don't think you are qualified enough" post:
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling over multiple posts

The thread moves on, goes back to sales things, and then later that day Chris is banned for the "I don't think you are qualified" joke. The thread notices, gets mad, and cvxfreak drops the new mod guidelines for the thread:
OFFICIAL STAFF COMMUNICATION
Lately, there has been an uptick of reported posts and disciplinary action related to the weekly Media Create threads. Many posters have complained of no longer having a voice in these threads because certain posters, including thread regulars, have replied in a hostile or condescending manner. This needs to stop. Please keep the following advice in mind when participating in these threads, regardless of how long you've been part of this community. Failure to do so could result in action being taken.
Sales threads should always be about that — the sales data itself. They should not be used as a guise for port begging, console/platform wars or other forms of trolling that wouldn't be allowed elsewhere on the forum.
In general, sales threads should focus on business and economic elements, i.e. comparing past and present data, observing trends, or making educated guesses.
While these threads do focus on Japan, it is not against the rules to discuss worldwide sales trends in the context of Japanese sales. It is OK to compare data from Japan to other countries, but like all posts, it needs to be done in good faith.
Do not be snarky, passive aggressive, condescending or otherwise disrespectful towards other users that you don't agree with. Not everyone has the same knowledge of sales and business, and if you feel someone is incorrect in their interpretation of data, constructively correct them (in as much detail as possible) instead of mocking them. Make yourself useful, not disruptive.
Sales data should never be weaponized or used to justify racist rhetoric, such as generalizing, mocking or trivializing the interests of another country, such as Japan or China.
Accusations that companies or creators/developers are showing favoritism for or bias against certain companies (i.e. Nagoshi, Harada, Nihon Falcom, etc. for Sony/against Nintendo) are not allowed unless there is evidence supporting such accusations.
Drive-bys and other inappropriate commentary are not allowed. (i.e. no-substance single word/sentences responses like "bomba").
If you're posting any kind of data, please post a link or source for transparency going forward. This not only includes sales data, but also information gleaned from retail blogs or Twitter accounts.
If you're posting about information that originally appeared in a non-English language such as Japanese (or a language you don't necessarily understand), please be confident as to the accuracy of the translation. If you're not confident, say so and reach out to the community to get an accurate reading.
If you see a post that goes against the above guidelines, please report it for review. If you have any questions, please DM a mod such as myself. Thank you.

Regulars are unhappy, people who I'm guessing fall into the drive-by category celebrate the toppling of the Media Create elite, a couple of mod whining warnings are tossed out.

Then the bans start:
Quote from: squall23
User banned (1 month): Mod-whining and inappropriate comparisons to minority issues over multiple posts.
Quote from: mariodk18
I understand the fears some may have here over what has happened in other threads, but I hope we can all take a collective deep breath and let things play out for a bit. cvxfreak has already implied they're willing to flexible on certain rules and I think we should take that at face value. I don't think it's fair to be fatalistic and assume the worst when it hasn't even been a day yet (which by that point Chris will hopefully be back). I do think things were festering for too long and it eventually had to burst. I just don't think we should have unfounded fears until we see drastic shifts happen in moderation.
TransEra after sweeping improvements: gone

AsianEra after sweeping improvements: gone

The worst part is that those communities at least had a few mods that were fighting for them. We don't have that luxury here.

Quote from: mazi
User Banned (3 Days): Derailing Thread Over Numerous Posts, Modwhining
Most of the data is pretty easily verifiable too. I mean most people just search numbers at GDL or the old weekly or whitepaper threads on NG/Era.
it's clear whoever asked for that one didn't like chris occasionally posting about shipments and stock.
Quote from: Kiria
User banned (permanent): hostility, mod whining, racist concern trolling, long history of the same behaviour
Quote from: AaronC
I know that mods will say everyone is moderated to the same standard
I don’t know how can anyone say this with a straight face lol.. we had that racist 343 person that didn’t get perma’d until a whole community push the mods to perma ban him

plus we still have another person close with the admins/mods that had multiple bans bout racisim and if that’s any another user they would have been perma’d a long time ago

Quote from: Seiez
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility, accusations of shilling
And that this all was started because a mod seemingly is affiliated with a developer (in whatever form) took grievance to people criticizing said developer by talking down to posters and mocking them for not understanding the language or having to read a book (which the mod seemingly hasn't read either).

The provided translation did almost nothing to change the perception of a poor take from the developer, but the mod took the whole situation to double down and went full scorch earth on the community.

My best guess on this one is the poster rethought the post, tried to remove it, and it was reinstated to explain their ban?
Quote from: Kanann
User banned (duration pending admin review): Mod whining, trolling and hostility over multiple posts. Numerous previous infractions for trolling
Thread need moderation.

But the direction of moderation to please the discord planet is hilarious instead of prioritize ERA community itself.

And can I insult CVX here? you lurking for like 200 years here since GAF and before Jesus walk on water but still pull this out?
Even Nibel and Zhuge was better than that without not making dad/mom jokes.

ps. Ishaan did nothing wrong tho, but he getting use, I guess.

(mod edit: post reverted to previous version)

Quote from: HK-47
User banned (1 week): Mod whining, using an extremely inappropriate comparison invoking minority groups
Quote from: Jawbreaker
Let's see how the threads are moderated going forward. They weren't really moderated at all, trolls or regulars, in the past. If bad faith posters (actual bad faith posters, not people who are curious about the market but aren't as knowledgeable) continue to go unactioned, I'm sure cvxfreak will take a look at it.

The rules are flexible/amenable if they don't work out for the better or cause other issues.
These types of sweeping guidelines have worked out so well in the past and will definitely fix things.

*looks at PC Era, AsiaEra and Trans Era*

I just don’t have any faith in that.
User banned (duration tbd by admins): Mod-whining, inappropriate comparisons, long history of platform warring
XboxEra too.

The thread is then locked by Exactly Who You'd Guess Based On The Recent Ban Messages:
Temporarily locked while we review the reports coming in.
Thread unlocked.

Staff are open to criticism regarding the rules we set in place, especially when it is taken to the appropriate channels. However, that criticism should never jump the line into attacking staff or conspiratorial accusations of bias.

Behave yourselves. Any posts violating any rules here or in cvx's post will be actioned accordingly.

There are a couple of posts objecting to painting "Era mods interacting with communities has not traditionally gone well for the communities" as equating minority issues with game sales, the inhabitants are still unhappy with the changes, and a couple of pages later:
Quote from: Snormy
This thread is locked while we review reports. It may be some time before it reopens if we choose to reopen it.

I'm just going to default assume everyone in the thread, regulars and drive-by posters, kind of suck; but somehow the mods once again manage to wrestle biggest asshole away from the community with their paper-thin skin. Couple of people have taken it to the Constructive thread to, I'm sure, end up either ignored or banned.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #331 on: September 20, 2021, 12:15:56 PM »

The fact that admins on a videogame forum considers a group of videogamers forming a community about a specific videogame niche to be irrelevant and have no say in how that community is treated on that videogame forum compared to people who don't give a fuck about videogames and / or have zero overlapping interests but just happen to all tick the same box on a census form is :delicious

Also let's be real; there are people in the "sales community" that have nearly unbroken streaks of over a decade long of looking up numbers from a japanese website every week and compiling it into spreadsheets for their own use, and can literally cite you overall trends of any historical date of any historical platform pretty much from memory.

that's not exactly neurotypical

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #332 on: September 20, 2021, 12:24:20 PM »
wait transera and asianera are gone? and we know from numerous proclamations that womenera and blackera have long since fled

who is left on the site?
Uncle

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #333 on: September 20, 2021, 12:26:23 PM »
I mean the Sequel Trilogy does suck, but like...who is this and why is her opinion that important?

quote from the OP that forum guidelines say people should read before replying:
She won an Oscar for editing 'A New Hope' and is George Lucas' ex wife

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #334 on: September 20, 2021, 12:26:30 PM »
I actually like following the Media Create sales threads a bit, seeing the trends in Japan... didn't read that whole huge wall of text above but don't tell me that Media Create threads will now be gone?
^_^

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #335 on: September 20, 2021, 12:26:34 PM »
Behold, the new gaming discourse.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/diablo-2-resurrected-promo-kit-images.488767/

I hope every thread about Diablo has people bringing to attention that blizzard is a terrible company that has abused women and minorities
We can only hope.

Fuck Activision Blizzard.
theres a thread for that
Yes, it's this tread - and every other Activision Blizzard thread.

If hype threads about this company are allowed, every one of them should have a disclaimer about what happened.

The original is in my top 5 games and I was waiting for a return to form from Diablo for a long time. As it is, I can't give them any money though - the best I can do against these practices is vote with my money, so that's what I'm doing.

Kinda weird looking at the post counts and histories of the couple of members in this thread that are super excited about playing this.

Bonus: Troll/Bot Implication Posts

60fps said:
Very cool, day one for me. It's been a long time since I played Diablo 2 :)
Kitaj said:
Day one for me, pre-ordered on PS5, PC and switch. It's been a long time since I played Diablo 2 :)

Uhm..

:rejoice :pacspit :success :point :killme

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #336 on: September 20, 2021, 12:27:15 PM »
Also zerovagineman jumping to Papa Disneys defence!

:pika

e:
Side-eyeing anyone in this thread that just drops by with a "she's right," given that some of this, especially that questionable-as-hell quote about Rey, is basically the kind of shit you see from alt-right dorks in YouTube comments.

I hear they eat food too... maybe YOU eat food? Sideeyeing anyone who eats food from now on

Propagandhim

« Reply #337 on: September 20, 2021, 12:27:38 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/travel-influencer-bought-a-second-condo-in-detroit-for-44-000-in-cash-%E2%80%94-and-spent-52-000-renovating-it.488827/

I like this guy saying that it's not gentrification while literally describing gentrification

This is someone buying excess real estate. They're not gentrifying the region or driving up the average price in the market since it really doesn't get any cheaper than Detroit.

:lol

Snoopycat_

« Reply #338 on: September 20, 2021, 12:28:22 PM »
I would love to see Nep Nep’s slam poetry journals. 15 volumes of kill the white man and weird, paranoid defensive screeds about the time she leapt out her seat and screamed, “Finally someone’s brave enough to say what we all think.” During a Borat screening.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #339 on: September 20, 2021, 12:30:44 PM »
I would love to see Nep Nep’s slam poetry journals. 15 volumes of kill the white man and weird, paranoid defensive screeds about the time she leapt out her seat and screamed, “Finally someone’s brave enough to say what we all think.” During a Borat screening.

Kazaccent + brownface :wag

Snoopycat_

« Reply #340 on: September 20, 2021, 12:41:01 PM »
She didn’t know. She thought it was a documentary

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #341 on: September 20, 2021, 12:45:41 PM »
Staff are open to criticism

:mueller :crowdlaff :girlaff :girlaff

I've never seen a more thinskinned bunch than the resetera mods.

Switters

« Reply #342 on: September 20, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
I wonder now that Petito's body has been found Boss Attack is sittin on his porch like Thanos and the end of Infinity War, just being like, thatta boy.

troll

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #343 on: September 20, 2021, 12:47:20 PM »
I actually like following the Media Create sales threads a bit, seeing the trends in Japan... didn't read that whole huge wall of text above but don't tell me that Media Create threads will now be gone?
If Chris and friends have any self esteem, yes.

🤴

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #345 on: September 20, 2021, 12:57:40 PM »

you tell that uppity bitch

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #346 on: September 20, 2021, 01:03:34 PM »

you tell that uppity bitch

How can't they see the fucking irony?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #347 on: September 20, 2021, 01:29:21 PM »
Somehow it gets worse -

I care. But also wtf @ having a 4 yr old play an intense horror game explicitly about a guy who murdered his family.
If this is a joke, its not particularly clever.

These finger waving, tutting cunts drain the life out of everything.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/p-t-has-been-de-listed-from-psn-for-some-time-and-nobody-seems-to-give-a-flying-fuck.488890/page-2#post-73711630
edit: its the latter. Could have gone either way, having people on this site post about playing GTA with their kids and shit.

:exxy
Imagine.. a kid playing GTA.  :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #348 on: September 20, 2021, 01:32:18 PM »
wait transera and asianera are gone? and we know from numerous proclamations that womenera and blackera have long since fled

who is left on the site?

Only the purest ones.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #349 on: September 20, 2021, 01:38:47 PM »
Quote from: Excel

You don't seem to understand screenwriting, cinematic language, thematic exploration and visual tone. There's no point in conversing with you any further about this.

Lmao

I went to film school and have a performing arts degree but go on
;)

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #350 on: September 20, 2021, 01:42:30 PM »
You don't seem to understand screenwriting, cinematic language, thematic exploration and visual tone. There's no point in conversing with you any further about this.
Lmao

All of the local distinguished mentally-challenged fellows go “yas queen slay” but excel didn’t bother refuting the actual points using any kind of knowledge just said I HAVE knowledge.  People who actually know things don’t usually need to whip out their credentials at the slightest push back.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #351 on: September 20, 2021, 01:59:39 PM »

:smug

clothedmacuser

« Reply #352 on: September 20, 2021, 02:44:37 PM »

Lmao

;)

They are talking about the Star Wars prequels!!1!!!!

:cornette :popular :no1curr
sigh

« Reply #353 on: September 20, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »
Someone should bring up the Mr plinkett reviews.

« Reply #354 on: September 20, 2021, 03:07:19 PM »
The worst part about my overlong post earlier is that I included all that bullshit and left out this post:
Quote from: Colonel Mustard
User banned (duration tbd by admin review): Hostility and attacking the community. Prior ban for the exact same behaviour
The bore is completely right about this place

Also B-dubs posted, they're still somehow reviewing reports:
Quote from: B-Dubs
It seems a lot of people have been asking about the one day ban for Chris1964, which was escalated normally off of a warning from the day before. This is routine stuff that happens in every long running thread. It's a slap on the wrist to draw a member's attention to a concern. Nothing that transpired in this thread warranted some of the extreme reactions that we've seen.

The staff post has been in the works since the recent Tales drama and it wasn't targeted at any individual or even any group of individuals. It's intended only to make sure that the thread isn't putting off decent members who are interested in sales and are not trolls. That's really it. Just avoid sniping, check your sources, pretty standard stuff. Again, not targeted at any individuals.

It seems like the main problem here is that somehow people got the idea that we're "taking sides" and/or providing cover for trolls to come into the thread and stir up trouble. That is absolutely not the case. There should be room for polite and good faith disagreement, but if we suspect your intent is to cause a disturbance, throw bait, lay traps, or anything of that nature, we're going to take a good look at you first. We will have very little patience for anyone trying to exploit the staff post for petty reasons.

The thread will be unlocked after we finish reviewing reports.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #355 on: September 20, 2021, 03:21:40 PM »
The mods and the protected users are the worst parts of resetera.  It’s basically the same as neogaf pre split but different people.  Eh I guess it’s actually worse since the protected users are blatant about wielding their connections to get people banned instead of just doing it behind the scenes.

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #356 on: September 20, 2021, 03:36:26 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/media-create-sales-week-36-2021-sep-06-sep-12-read-staff-post.487222/page-28#post-73706878

Quote from: a11244
Now news, Resetera mod will never change anything and will ban anyone who dare to criticize them. See you at Etika thread. It’s that same shit all over again.
OBE

Hap Shaughnessy

• Canadian Ambassador to Guam (Ret.)
« Reply #357 on: September 20, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »

Lmao

;)

And Star Wars and MCU movies are your favourites? You wasted your time and money.
OBE

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #358 on: September 20, 2021, 03:44:07 PM »
They're reporting as hard as they can but nothing is being done. Morrigan is probably busy campaigning to get Motley Crue banned from heavy metal.

I thought parody and reaction threads weren't allowed?

Aren't parody threads like this not allowed?
First time I've wished I had a Ree account in a long time...just to go post some Steel Panther in the metal thread.
Spud

Boredfrom

« Reply #359 on: September 20, 2021, 03:52:25 PM »
It’s time to cancel stuff we they love:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/virtual-youtuber-ot2-clap-clap-next-thread.452203/page-234#post-73732987

Quote from: JeffChickenshit
Just a friendly reminder that it may not feel like it sometimes here, but there are vtubers outside of the big groups. Plenty of those aren't into lolicons or are especially horny either.

As with all media I feel like its never black and white. I still play and enjoy games/music/tv/anime that have documented problems from creators to content to other stuff. I dont defend the bad shit though. Once you start defending the bad stuff... maybe its time to rethink things.

Yeah, I don’t defend Resetera.

Maybe Vtubers should be like western streamers and being genuine sex pests that bring IRL drama in everything they do than introverts with anime avatars.