Author Topic: Other Forums Containment Thread  (Read 1812863 times)

Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3300 on: October 14, 2021, 10:30:51 AM »

Were any of the site policies put forward towards the MOBA guys, like, are they still happy with the sites choice to ban talk of the upcoming Harry Potter game for example?

I'm just wondering if there are guarantees that the sites mods still have final say over those kind of things or if management can overrule them

:comeon

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
Re: Off-Site Discussion: Inappropriate Use of Another Moderator's Member History
« Reply #3301 on: October 14, 2021, 10:33:41 AM »

ruh roh

Imagine thinking you have any say in future plans when you work for free.  Holy shit. :brain

I can picture the announcement in real life to their family/friends. 

I'm working for MOAB now.

:smug

NICE!, whats the pay like

I'm still admin and everything, I make the rules!

:snoop
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:37:43 AM by Cauliflower Of Love »

Mediocre Lager

« Reply #3302 on: October 14, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »
I finally sign up for The Bore after lurking for years and now all this drama happens.

You're welcome.

God I hated that guy in your avatar, even as a kid.  Every time he'd pop up in the opening credits I'd want to punch the TV.

Same.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3303 on: October 14, 2021, 10:48:56 AM »
Quote from: kyuuji
Said it before but the staff staying is a solid barometer of whether elements held dear to the community and them are able to persist.

dat thirst

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #3304 on: October 14, 2021, 10:51:06 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

ruh roh

Imagine thinking you have any say in future plans when you work for free.  Holy shit. :brain

I can picture the announcement in real life to their family/friends. 

I'm working for MOAB now.

:smug

NICE!, whats the pay like

I'm still admin and everything, I make the rules!

:snoop

i thought admitting to using an adblocker is a bannable offence :anhuld
(ice)

« Reply #3305 on: October 14, 2021, 10:59:02 AM »
Kyuugi

Said it before but the staff staying is a solid barometer of whether elements held dear to the community and them are able to persist.

“As long as I can bully and not get banned I’m good “

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3306 on: October 14, 2021, 11:05:22 AM »
The financial risk of unpaid labour

Of course cerium is a grifter, I've been saying this since the site was founded lmao

Yes, the financial risk of putting his own money towards the creation of the site and hoping it doesn’t go tits up. Did YOU put any more towards the site or just sign up for free and have the ability to post away for free for all time? Oh you did, ok.

Stupid fucks really thought the site was paid for with hopes and dreams. Stay mad that Cerium cashed out before someone on there finally snaps and shoots up a store or something, which seems inevitable with how unhinged many on there are.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3308 on: October 14, 2021, 11:13:36 AM »

wonder why it got deleted. :thinking

:lol General Manager

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #3309 on: October 14, 2021, 11:22:00 AM »
If anyone is interested

« Reply #3310 on: October 14, 2021, 11:26:47 AM »
I can't tell if some of these mod posts are just people who've never been through a corporate buyout before actually buying the boilerplate shit companies say when they but out other companies, or if they're just lying to try to placate the users.

Because if they haven't, by now, worked out that the next conflict between TransEra and BlackEra is going to end up escalating to whichever side is 'losing' taking the campaign to MOBA corporate decrying the blatant *ism the forum is displaying, they're dumber than I thought. They'd have had to be way better at handling their user base than they are to have a believable chance at long-term autonomy.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #3311 on: October 14, 2021, 11:28:01 AM »
Oh I remember… I haven’t forgotten. And the timing of this is pretty tone deaf too. Dammit

TODAY OF ALL DAYS

Whatever today is anyways

National Dessert Day.
Fitting because Cerium basically told all of RE to eat cake.
^_^

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3313 on: October 14, 2021, 11:42:58 AM »

:bowsette

:whew

SmokyDave

« Reply #3314 on: October 14, 2021, 11:49:50 AM »
Suicide is painless:

Link if it's not already scrubbed.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3315 on: October 14, 2021, 11:52:35 AM »
Suicide is painless:

cerium clearing out his old alts

Guess I need to start learning Swedish! Jk. Congrats Cerium on the sale! I know the last 4 years have been draining, but your hard work paid off.
8)

Taco Bell Tower

• Your likes are brought to you by YUM! Brands
« Reply #3316 on: October 14, 2021, 11:53:45 AM »
If the mod team was truly fucked up and were given nothing, I would think they would smart enough to to retire in masse and let RE go with a bang of toxicity.

Then again, Nephente alluded she was in contract or something.

Maybe for admins but like she could always ban and close her account for the sake of her health.

39 guests, hey peeps!   :-*

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3319 on: October 14, 2021, 11:58:01 AM »
1. Morrigan knew.

2. Cerium making six figures off the website was well known for years now, you just couldn't mention it, ignorance is your own fault.

3. I can't find anything linking the M.O.B.A. Network to NFTs, but I'm going to promote this theory anyway.

4. This thread is from the second day of ResetERA.com, everyone should read it. READ IT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-revenue-should-go-back-to-the-community-and-gaming-charity-causes.826/
I understand this forum is new and there's a lot to work out. Perfect. Since we're not on a determined path, I propose all revenue generated by this forum be used to pay for the forum itself, to generate ways to create better content for the community, and send all other revenue toward another, gaming related causes. For example, game development for the underprivileged, the underrepresented minorities and women, Child's Play kind of endeavors, etc.

Granted, yes, the site is new, there's no money, no one's determined anything with money, etc., etc. However, it's important to have this discussion now. We can work toward being a better, more inclusive community. Do you have any thoughts on how the site should spend its generated revenue, if it ever gets to that point?
My worry when GAF imploded was that a bunch of people were going to try to launch a forum ASAP to get that ad revenue money.
Could we just start a subscription model instead of ads? I'm happy to pay for this. Love this site already.
The people who maintain this community (both on the technical side and the moderators) should be given some sort of compensation, imo. The fact that the mods on such an immense site like GAF were being asked to donate their time is absolutely insulting given how much the site was pulling in from ad revenue, and how much that community was shaped by it's moderation.
I definitely agree that it should ultimately be effectively a non-profit forum, but I'd like to donate to Cerium and some other folks first for the huge amount of work and time and money they put in for the community over the last week.

I also think that if revenue goes towards charities or some cause, it should be focused on fighting against abuse in all its forms -- abuse by the government (donations to the ACLU), abuse towards employees particularly in the games industry, and physical and institutional abuse of women.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3321 on: October 14, 2021, 11:59:20 AM »
da gawd is here :rejoice
(ice)

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3322 on: October 14, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
1. Morrigan knew.

2. Cerium making six figures off the website was well known for years now, you just couldn't mention it, ignorance is your own fault.

3. I can't find anything linking the M.O.B.A. Network to NFTs, but I'm going to promote this theory anyway.

4. This thread is from the second day of ResetERA.com, everyone should read it. READ IT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-revenue-should-go-back-to-the-community-and-gaming-charity-causes.826/
I understand this forum is new and there's a lot to work out. Perfect. Since we're not on a determined path, I propose all revenue generated by this forum be used to pay for the forum itself, to generate ways to create better content for the community, and send all other revenue toward another, gaming related causes. For example, game development for the underprivileged, the underrepresented minorities and women, Child's Play kind of endeavors, etc.

Granted, yes, the site is new, there's no money, no one's determined anything with money, etc., etc. However, it's important to have this discussion now. We can work toward being a better, more inclusive community. Do you have any thoughts on how the site should spend its generated revenue, if it ever gets to that point?
My worry when GAF imploded was that a bunch of people were going to try to launch a forum ASAP to get that ad revenue money.
Could we just start a subscription model instead of ads? I'm happy to pay for this. Love this site already.
The people who maintain this community (both on the technical side and the moderators) should be given some sort of compensation, imo. The fact that the mods on such an immense site like GAF were being asked to donate their time is absolutely insulting given how much the site was pulling in from ad revenue, and how much that community was shaped by it's moderation.
I definitely agree that it should ultimately be effectively a non-profit forum, but I'd like to donate to Cerium and some other folks first for the huge amount of work and time and money they put in for the community over the last week.

I also think that if revenue goes towards charities or some cause, it should be focused on fighting against abuse in all its forms -- abuse by the government (donations to the ACLU), abuse towards employees particularly in the games industry, and physical and institutional abuse of women.

fun fact: the OP of that thread offered to support the site financially and got told "nope lol"

Propagandhim

« Reply #3323 on: October 14, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
1. Morrigan knew.

The most naive, head-in-the-sand people on the planet  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #3324 on: October 14, 2021, 12:11:04 PM »

« Reply #3325 on: October 14, 2021, 12:12:45 PM »
One moderator actually quit:

Pau said:
Yes, we had a heads up, a few days ago in my case.

I stepped down because I no longer felt comfortable volunteering given that the new owner is a publicly traded company with a clear profit motive.

I would have considered staying on if moderation was paid or there was some sort of compensation structure from MOBA Network, but no other moderator (at least in the discussions I was part of) wanted that.

And in all honestly, I never put in as much work as most of the staff. (So I'm not surprised Quinton didn't notice that I stepped down. :P)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3326 on: October 14, 2021, 12:12:58 PM »

Another new mod?
And this one is at least aware how many fucking mods there actually are

benjipwns

« Reply #3327 on: October 14, 2021, 12:13:34 PM »
“Pay the mods, pay the mods!!!!111!!”

>proceeds to bash mods at every given opportunity

y’all ain’t fucking slick
oh look another former cop turned bootlicker

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3328 on: October 14, 2021, 12:13:37 PM »
who da hell is kristoffer, they sound like a total bozo :teehee
(ice)

ShutUp

« Reply #3329 on: October 14, 2021, 12:15:43 PM »
That these people ever saw it as anything more than a site with a profit motive is  :lol honestly thought Cerium just paid some hamsters in carrots the last four years to keep running on the wheel to keep the lights on.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3330 on: October 14, 2021, 12:16:18 PM »
I would have considered staying on if moderation was paid or there was some sort of compensation structure from MOBA Network, but no other moderator (at least in the discussions I was part of) wanted that.

There's no way whatsoever that cerium isn't promising these people under the table money.

benjipwns

« Reply #3331 on: October 14, 2021, 12:17:42 PM »
Philosophically, I've been against it because of equity/gatekeeping issues. Like, if you need a university, workplace, or some premium/non-standard email to register, it's a sort of middle class to upper middle class gatekeeping. And while "The country club" might want to be choosey with who registers, I've always thought that was out of step with the feelings of most people in the community, but because "It's the way neogaf worked..." we've preserved it.
there are actually other ways to limit signups by bad actors, (you'd think by the way some people act that trolls are uniquely a problem for era/gaf and thus these sites demand a specific restrictive registration process used nowhere else on the internet) but I suppose it might be more financially lucrative to gatekeep registration in a way that ensures your userbase is largely middle class or better, college educated, and/or with a cushy office job.
:hesright

benjipwns

« Reply #3332 on: October 14, 2021, 12:20:06 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-27#post-75208197

I don't have the patience to read through the entire thing. Quote if from Finale Fireworker:
So if you genuinely care about staff, and you're not just in it for the fun of drama, do what is actually in your power to do: treat them like your fellow members invested in the welfare of the forum, not like enemies or failures. Maybe saying you think they should have been paid is your way of expressing that, but I mean it when I say that is never what I wanted. I was always very clear with what I hoped to get from this role. I never got it. I retired in exhaustion and humiliation because I could not overcome the mental and physical toll this community took on me. I've been to the emergency room. I've been medicated. I've been counseled. I've had to completely reinvent my relationship with the internet. I am fucked up and damaged goods from how members here, past and present, conduct themselves at the first sign of gossip or scandal. No amount of money would have made a difference with that. Not even a little bit..
lmao

ShutUp

« Reply #3333 on: October 14, 2021, 12:21:23 PM »
Trying to imagine that first counseling session and the look the counselor gave them. “Have you tried just…logging off?” Or the trip to the emergency room. “So what brings you in today?” “Oh I was having a panic attack moderating this video game message board you have probably heard of, Resetera.com? Yeah too many reports to process at once and I started freaking out, so please help me.”

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #3334 on: October 14, 2021, 12:21:52 PM »
Benji finally :rejoice
hey

Propagandhim

« Reply #3335 on: October 14, 2021, 12:21:55 PM »
This guy filling up our hospital emergency rooms with Era-related illnesses

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3336 on: October 14, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »
also where my check bork

Averon

« Reply #3337 on: October 14, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »
Pau is the only (now former) mod with enough self-respect to want compensation

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-37#post-75218889

Quote from: Pau
Yes, we had a heads up, a few days ago in my case.

I stepped down because I no longer felt comfortable volunteering given that the new owner is a publicly traded company with a clear profit motive.

And in all honestly, I never put in as much work as most of the staff. (So I'm not surprised Quinton didn't notice that I stepped down. :P)

And like I thought, the mods were probably informed Monday or Tuesday and the contracts signed last week.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3338 on: October 14, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »
true fact: 26% of patients who visited ER in the US in 2019 were unpaid internet jannies citing extreme stress

sauce: https://bit.ly/3iXclEz
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #3339 on: October 14, 2021, 12:27:25 PM »
Quote from: Maolfunction, post: 75220599, member: 11925
I'm surprised moderators aren't positioning themselves for compensation after this sale. If the forum is worth 4.5 million to a corporation, the work you're doing now isn't for the community. It's for the company's profit margins. They should be compensated for the work they're doing since this forum's goals have shifted from community building to profit building, you don't spend that much money to not make money from it.

Quote from: entremet, post: 75220653, member: 9388
They never signed up to get paid or get an equity stake. Simple. They knew what they signed up for.

The mods aren't stupid. I doubt they are shocked at these events.

Quote from: Maolfunction, post: 75220824, member: 11925
But the conditions have changed from what they were when they signed up. Unless they were all told when coming on that the forum was positioning itself to be an asset to be sold to a corporation down the line, I'd say they did not know what they were signing up for until discussions started internally about the sale.

Shinobi got something much more important than millions of dollars.

He got to cancel his racist five year old son on Twitter  :girlaff
Margs

Propagandhim

« Reply #3340 on: October 14, 2021, 12:30:55 PM »
I want to know what kind of conversations Cerium had with the other shareholders to poolshark his way to controlling all stake.  If they knew what this site would be sold for just a few years later, they wouldn't have sold. 

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #3341 on: October 14, 2021, 12:32:51 PM »
Suicide is painless:

gruden had an account there  :titus

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3342 on: October 14, 2021, 12:33:31 PM »
I want to know what kind of conversations Cerium had with the other shareholders to poolshark his way to controlling all stake.  If they knew what this site would be sold for just a few years later, they wouldn't have sold. 

He preyed on vulnerable people.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3343 on: October 14, 2021, 12:33:55 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-39#post-75220083

Quote from: Aangster
Cerium was an opportunist from the beginning. It shouldn't have taken the site's sale to an online gaming business to really expose that.

Will even a small portion of the sale proceeds only he receives be donated or go towards the causes that the community supports? If no, why not?

:crowdlaff :girlaff :woody :taylor :woken :show
ど助平

Averon

« Reply #3344 on: October 14, 2021, 12:34:17 PM »
Also, has no one on the mod team ever gone through a corporate buyout before? Any "assurances" MOBA is telling them right now is about as sturdy as wet toilet paper. Every buyout begins with the buyer easing concerns and saying nothing will change or there will only be "small" changes. And then a year or two later...Bam!! Those "assurances" are null and void.

I don't believe for a second MOBA, who clearly want to maximize engagement and revenue, will sit back and allow B-Dubs and crew to ban entire games, games that are hotly anticipated at that. That is not what someone who spent $4.55 million on ResetERA would do.

benjipwns

« Reply #3345 on: October 14, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »
All the posts going "I don't want to post on a forum owned by a corporation!"

ResetERA.com has always been owned by a corporation. From day one.

That's why it took days to be put up instead of hours, they had to register it as a LLC.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3346 on: October 14, 2021, 12:36:27 PM »
CERIUM RETIRE BITCH

oh, wait
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #3347 on: October 14, 2021, 12:40:22 PM »
I do think is extremely hilarious that they managed to sell a graveyard at such a premium price

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3348 on: October 14, 2021, 12:41:11 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-ownership-update.499677/page-39#post-75220278
Quote from: WrenchNinja
I'm also not likely to jump ship to boards about jerking off to sales for billion dollar corporations, or fanboy boards dedicated to said corporations so eh

:ego

ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #3349 on: October 14, 2021, 12:42:36 PM »
Ngl, kinda terrified of the day soon coming when all emails are allowed to sign up, no amount of moderation will be able to handle that, pretty much a hell scenario
lol

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3350 on: October 14, 2021, 12:42:43 PM »
I finally sign up for The Bore after lurking for years and now all this drama happens.

You're welcome.

Welcome, I'm technologically inept so if I could sell your data I wouldn't even know where to begin
fat

Rman

« Reply #3351 on: October 14, 2021, 12:43:33 PM »
i guess i still don't get the outrage.  they were fine with cerium making tons of money per year before? did they think the ads were for charity?

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #3352 on: October 14, 2021, 12:43:48 PM »

You're welcome.

Welcome, I'm technologically inept so if I could sell your data I wouldn't even know where to begin

Whats the password

benjipwns

« Reply #3353 on: October 14, 2021, 12:44:34 PM »
Quote from: Maolfunction, post: 75220599, member: 11925
If the forum is worth 4.5 million to a corporation, the work you're doing now isn't for the community. It's for the company's profit margins. They should be compensated for the work they're doing since this forum's goals have shifted from community building to profit building
ahahahahah

Propagandhim

« Reply #3354 on: October 14, 2021, 12:44:52 PM »
i guess i still don't get the outrage.  they were fine with cerium making tons of money per year before? did they think the ads were for charity?

They probably thought the ads barely covered server costs and the rest went to Afghan women charity groups. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3355 on: October 14, 2021, 12:45:56 PM »

did they think

no
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #3356 on: October 14, 2021, 12:46:58 PM »
Also, has no one on the mod team ever gone through a corporate buyout before? Any "assurances" MOBA is telling them right now is about as sturdy as wet toilet paper. Every buyout begins with the buyer easing concerns and saying nothing will change or there will only be "small" changes. And then a year or two later...Bam!! Those "assurances" are null and void.

I don't believe for a second MOBA, who clearly want to maximize engagement and revenue, will sit back and allow B-Dubs and crew to ban entire games, games that are hotly anticipated at that. That is not what someone who spent $4.55 million on ResetERA would do.

thats why i think bdubs/whoever is above him now is hoping all the problem posters will decide to leave of their own accord out of protest at the site being corporate owned, and then they can try and turn the site into what gaf used to be, gaming focused with insiders posting stuff that will get linked in articles by the tremendous and upstanding and beautiful gaming press, bringing in those sweet ad dollars :money
(ice)

marrec

« Reply #3357 on: October 14, 2021, 12:47:17 PM »

It's one of those things where you don't really think about it until you see the numbers. Lore was rolling in it from GAF revenue long before Cerium stole his userbase, and it's been known for years that ERA generates revenue beyond overhead costs, but since Cerium didn't post about all his money and wasn't showing up on E3 livestreams it's easy to forget the long con.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #3358 on: October 14, 2021, 12:47:18 PM »

"So we just had to ban someone from socialist era again for talking about FBI watchlists and overthrowing the government, and twitter hotlinks aren't working as we've been flagged as an extremist hate site.
Now, I don't want to worry any of you, but if the FBI does contact me, can I have your full name and address in case they require further information as part of their ongoing investigations?"

Rman

« Reply #3359 on: October 14, 2021, 12:48:15 PM »

did they think

no

it's crazy how these dudes don't understand basic business.  the site had an owner. the site decent traffic and a specific demo--gaming nerds. the site ran ads.  logically, it's not that hard to understand that cerium was making a profit.